• D'awwww!

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • KILL IT WITH FIRE!

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
A

Archwar

Original poster
Frankly, I love spiders, but I know a lot of people don't so I'm creating this thread for all spider lovers and non-lovers alike to explain why they love or don't love spiders.

The reason why I like them so much is because of several reasons, one relating to religious reasons. However, the one species that I find the most fascinating is the jumping spider family. They're intelligent(according to some), have large eyes in proportion to their tiny bodies, and hop around.

jumping-spiders-macro-photography-thomas-shahan-9.jpg

The reason why I like them so much is because of several reasons, one relating to religious reasons.
Pretty much the same for me, haha.

Although I find some of them pretty cute, like the zebra spider. They're pretty darn adorable, and it's fun to see them jumping about.

I did vote for depends on the species though, because some do make me shudder.

Reactions: Archwar
What religious reasons, if you guys don't mind me asking? Only religions I can think of depict the spiders as tricksters?

For me, I have a fear of them jumping on me. But if I don't think they will jump on me, I'm fine with them, and have no real opinions of them. Some of them are cool looking, some of them aren't. Of course, because of my fear, I really distrust jumping spiders in particular LOL.

What religious reasons, if you guys don't mind me asking? Only religions I can think of depict the spiders as tricksters?

For me, I have a fear of them jumping on me. But if I don't think they will jump on me, I'm fine with them, and have no real opinions of them. Some of them are cool looking, some of them aren't. Of course, because of my fear, I really distrust jumping spiders in particular LOL.

It an Islamic story in my case. Muhammad(PBUH) and a guide had to flee and sought refuge in a cave. The people who were tracking them found the pair, but Allah had sent help in the form of a spider weaving the web and some birds building a nest. Despite being right in front of the two, the people moved on because they thought that if someone were to go into the cave it would have disturbed the animals.

Spiders actually scare the.... everything out of me. EVERYTHING. But then again pretty much all animals besides horses do when they get within a mile of me. They set off my heebiejeebie sensors. I do love watching documentaries about various insects and spiders, and I do find the jumping ones kind of cute, but even those I have to cover my eyes if they're looking straight at the camera. The first time I saw an ogre-faced in a documentary I almost cried. Generally speaking, my IRL policy on spiders is "if they don't head for me, I've no interest in bothering them," but I do have an odd little thing with spiders where I think if I had a spirit animal it would probably be spiders, because they always show up right around a major transition in my life and it's happened more than once where I'm the only one who notices them, or they appear DIRECTLY ABOVE ME (that's happened twice).

I also have a spooder nickname! Thanks to a totally different, random reason, so people joke around cause I say I'm scared of spiders but "You ARE a spider."

So I WANT to like spiders. One of my favorite characters is.... well, the spider is symbolic, and I really empathize with said symbolism.

That being said... Spiders are totally great! Long as they aren't within 100km of my position.
/╲/\( •̀ ω •́ )/\╱\

Nuke them from orbit.

Err I don't mind Spiders just as I don't mind other, harmless but useful, insects (Like Wasps). I vaguely remember only one spider being 'purposefully' aggressive towards humans. Of course I wouldn't want to live with a highly poisonous spider either but I live at a place where they are pretty much harmless and it does happen when I see one in some room I totally don't mind it.

I really don't understand how people dislike spiders by default and I guess it has more to do with their up-bringing, basically being exposed to a spider-hating mindset in general?

• Nice Execution!
If it's legs spread wider than a quarter, I jump out of my skin. I was once frozen in a pet store, staring at their tarantula. I didn't want to turn my back to it. I can't really explain why, my brain insisted that there was danger and moving was a bad idea.

Normally if I find a spider in my house I try to find ways to get it outside. But right now I have developed a give and give relationship with a spider hanging out by the outlet in my room. We're getting flying ants pretty bad right now and my spider friend is doing a great job killing them. I plan to relocate the spider after the ants are destroyed. I am also keeping track of it's molts to make sure it doesn't get too big for me to handle. lol The quarter rule is binding.

There is also a little jumping spider living in the blinds on the front door window. I have named it Fredrick it is my doorman. I don't really know what Fredrick is eating, but it is staying so it must be eating something. lol Gawd speed, Fredrick.

I also have two very strict rules; no black widows and no egg sacks. Both will be destroyed on sight.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's legs spread wider than a quarter, I jump out of my skin. I was once frozen in a pet store, staring at their tarantula. I didn't want to turn my back to it. I can't really explain why, my brain insisted that there was danger and moving was a bad idea.

Normally if I find a spider in my house I try to find ways to get it outside. But right now I have developed a give and give relationship with a spider hanging out by the outlet in my room. We're getting flying ants pretty bad right now and my spider friend is doing a great job killing them. I plan to relocate the spider after the ants are destroyed. I am also keeping track of it's molts to make sure it doesn't get too big for me to handle. lol The quarter rule is binding.

There is also a little jumping spider living in the blinds on the front door window. I have named it Fredrick it is my doorman. I don't really know what Fredrick is eating, but it is staying so there must be eating something. lol Gawd speed, Fredrick.

I also have two very strict rules; no black widows and no egg sacks. Both will be destroyed on sight.
Oh man that's really cute. XD spiders scare me too much for me to be okay if they were hanging out in my house but imagining a little jumping spider named Frederick keeping insect intruders out is a super cute mental image.

Reactions: Shiri
Seen like nine spiders today. Most of them were friendly.

. . .

Actually, all of them were.

• Love
Reactions: firejay1
I'm pretty ok with spiders in general. I want them to catch and eat the bugs that I like less, like mosquitoes. I have two exceptions: spiders on me, and spiders in the bathroom. The on me thing is less malice than "no no get off me" but the thought of a spider falling on me in the shower or something is no. I will otherwise move them outdoors if I find one.

I had a tiny little spider above my plants for a bit that I named Steve, whom I hoped would eat the gnats, but that has not panned out and I haven't seen Steve in a bit. Hmm.

• Nice Execution!
Reactions: firejay1
Spiders are bros. Where would I be without spiders? Well, I'd be fine I suppose, but still. Spiders.

• Bucket of Rainbows