Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Futanari
  3. Primarily Prefer Male
Genres
Medieval, Fantasy, Mechs, Magical Girls, Romance, Action, Fandoms, basically anything fantastic.
So, you've died. Harsh. What's even harsher is that you've ended up in the underworld... Who knows what you did (or didn't do) to end up down here? It doesn't matter now, because the reaper in charge of your soul has offered you a second chance. And what would that be? An application for the Soul Redemption Organization, of course! Your soul has been deemed not-bad enough that you've been offered a chance to work off your sin, and have a chance at your soul being reincarnated for a second chance at life! Pretty sweet right? But it's not all roses, you have to work to get the most out of this second chance. Will you work off the weight of your sins, or give up and accept your years of toil in the underworld?

underground_city_wallpapers-1920x1080.jpg

So, you might be wondering what the underworld is like! Or maybe what this whole SRO thing is and how you work your way to reincarnation? Take your pick from the categories below, and anything I may have missed, you are more than welcome to ask about below!

We will begin with information about the underworld, and just, the world of this rp in general.

• The Underworld. Exactly what it sounds like. The place you go when you die when you haven't been... "good" enough to achieve entrance into Heaven/Nirvana (whatever you like to call it) It's a massive place, perhaps even larger than the human world itself, and quite "vertical". Honestly, the layers of the underworld could be deserving of their own tabs, but I'll keep it short and sweet. The lower you go, the hotter it gets... and the more heinous the punishments usually are. On the "surface" of the underworld, it's basically like the human world in a lot of ways. Cities, streets, buildings, and a "society" that lives something akin to a normal life... as normal as it gets in the underworld. However, while a significant portion of the population of The Underworld are indeed lost souls in various stages of their path to reincarnation, the majority of the population of The Underworld are what humans (and admittedly the residents themselves) would call monsters and demons. Exactly what you would expect, except, in a way, not. Ghouls, vampires, werewolves, etc... hustling and bustling and living in a somewhat "normal" society in the underworld. Most "Demons" are in positions governing the reincarnation process, either punishing souls, keeping watch over them, or working in the SRO to insure reincarnation. That isn't to say that there aren't unsavory monsters and demons out there willing to take advantage of a lost soul, but for the most part, that behavior is strictly governed.

So, WHERE is The Underworld? Is it literally underneath the surface of the Earth? No. Not necessarily. It is a place that lies outside the time and space of the human world... an alternate dimension, so to speak. Souls don't necessarily come and go into The Underworld in a proper chronological way. A soul that died hundreds of years after another might arrive before the other in this comparison, or they might be the same soul. There are access points to the human world that are generally on the highest levels of The Underworld, but their access to the human world are just as strange as the arrival of souls, connecting to vastly different times and places in the human world. Generally, they connect to caves or other ground-connected entrances to the human world, further cementing the concept of this world being the "Under" world, even if it isn't physically beneath the human world
  • So, the human world. Not too much to say about it, it's very much the same as the world you're sitting in, reading this thread. The only thing to note is that "magic" does exist, hidden in this world. Humans making contracts with demons, and monsters occasionally causing trouble, but depending on your time period, this is heavily covered up. The reason monsters are not so often seen in the human world (in modern times) is that often the most easy access points to the human world lie in the past, a place and time which has been... not so well recorded. It's why the existence of all these "supernatural" occurrences is often referred to as myth.
  • There is even less to speak of this place than there is the human world, unfortunately. it's an un-knowable place to us in the underworld, and a place which cannot be contacted. The only thing that IS known is that it's real... otherwise every soul from a dead person would end up in The Underworld, and while most do, there are times that a reaper is not meant to take a soul down to The Underworld. To those who've successfully gone to the "good place", we salute you, but you won't be participating in this story... probably.

With some info about the world out of the way, time for some info about the meat and potatoes of this thing, the SRO that all you lost souls will be participating in.

• The Soul Redemption Organization, also known as the "SRO" for short is an organization dedicated to, you guessed it, "redeeming" souls. Souls that meet the requirements to participate in the "redemption" program are given a chance to apply themselves working for the SRO for a chance to speed up the loss of their "weight" and achieve reincarnation faster. There are many, many branches of the SRO across the vast Underworld, and they are all dedicated to speeding up the last steps of a soul's path to reincarnation. This is done by completing "contracts" which erase a portion of your "weight", and by attending classes and meetings that "speed up" your time served (while they are being participated in) but the main source of "weight" loss is through the contracts. The classes and meetings were made up by some devious demon to force lost souls to show their "willingness" for redemption, a metric which IS measured for continued participation in the SRO. Souls who don't take these classes or contracts for some time are ejected from the program for being "unwilling" to put in the work.
  • "So, what is this "weight" I keep hearing about?", I hear you ask. Well, "weight" is just the shortened way of saying "The weight of your sins", which is a measurable thing here in The Underworld. It is measured in years, and for the purposes of the SRO, you must stay within 9,999 years to maintain your ability to work for the SRO. These years can either be worked off through contracts, or... simply waited out in toil or torture in the underworld. Typically if your years are above the SRO's limit, those years are served in torture. Naturally, as you may have already guessed, once your "weight" hits 0, you can begin the process of reincarnation.

"Ok, so I get what "weight" is, but, how do you gain it? Why do I have so much?", the SRO doesn't really make those decisions, they are determined by whatever reaper judged your soul before sending it down... All sins are not created equal (whether a religion told you they were or not) and even living an unfulfilling life counts towards your weight here in the underworld. Dying with regret could be considered one of the worst sins of all, surprisingly... whether your death was an accident or not. However, we can say that while there are ways to lose weight in the underworld, there are too, ways to "gain" it... Either through failing contracts, or through "paying" weight for services or powers in The Underworld. "weight" is quite common as a currency for lost souls, perhaps more valuable than the official currency of The Underworld, the Obol.
  • So, short and sweet. "contracts" are the bread and butter of what the SRO offers you. Contracts that range in difficulty that you can participate in to cut down your "weight" by a substantial margin depending on their difficulty and rewards. Below is an example of a contract:

Title: Apprehend the lost soul terrorizing the surface! [162e-49u]
    Weight: 14 Years
    Additional Rewards: 400 Obol
    Stipulations: Under no circumstances is the individual taking this contract to meet or interact with a living human. To do so (regardless of apprehension of the subject) will result in immediate failure.

So, what does this mean? Well, the rank denotes the difficulty (with the maximum rank being S+) and the weight is how many years you will scratch from or add to your weight depending on your success or failure. (yes, failing a contract adds the listed weight to your sentence) Occasionally, additional rewards will be offered by a contractor to sweeten the pot, ranging from sums of Obols (a very common reward) used to live comfortably here in The Underworld, or other strange rewards, depending on the contractor.

The stipulations are rules that you have to follow to achieve success for the contract... the "meeting living humans" stipulation is quite a common stipulation for contracts. Naturally, breaking these stipulations typically results in failure of a contract, whether you've succeeded in the main task or not. After all, what's the point of capturing this lost soul if you've caused the damage of interfering with the human world yourself?

Well, that's the basic gist of it for now. Putting some feelers out to see if this idea is a hit. If it is, and I get an appropriate number of players, I'll do some more fleshing-out and make a proper OOC or something. To all those reading this on the day it's been posted, Merry Christmas (or Happy Holidays)! Oh, and don't be afraid to ask questions!

If you're coming to this thread late in the ballgame, here's your link to the OOC: ALWAYS OPEN - Welcome to the SRO! | OOC

Last edited:
Not signing with 100% certainty right now, but there's definitely interest
So it's a maybe

I have an unfinished concept for something a bit similar (that never started because of course), that I might be able to tweak for this, maybe.
It was a similar second-chance at life thing but you gotta work for it, but it was more in the lines of magical girl and boys (mostly adults tho) working under an eldritch deity and even their powers had to be connected to the things they regretted in life/what led them to their death. Unfortunately, cool things sometimes don't go anywhere and so I have this idea just sitting there for years now ^^'

Anyway, there's an interest coin, I'd love to see where this goes >3<

Reactions: Flame
Hi! I'm definitely interested in this. It sounds pretty neat, the whole redemption and reincarnation thing. I'd love to join in if this is still going on.

Yeah! Still looking for interested players is all!

Count me as tentatively interested.

Very interested in this!!

Looks like there's a fair amount of interest, I suppose! Today or within a few days, I shall sit down and do a writeup of some sort of OOC if you're all still interested, so you can make characters and what have you. ^^

I'm tentatively interested! I have an idea for a character who killed their twin due to jealousy and because the twin was kind of an angel in public but super condescending and emotionally abusive in private.

• Creative
Reactions: Loveless and Flame
Gwyneth, --in the concept that's been frozen for years because the RP it was for never started--, had an unfulfilling life in the ways that, while she was a successful lawyer everything in her life had been dictated strictly by her parents and she had followed it to the line. She never saw herself as the person that had accomplished those things because in actuality, none of it had ever been made for her, and that realization eventually made her very, very unhappy with everything. The day she decided to put a stop to the cycle, a drunk truck driver accelerated into the tunnel she was crossing and slammed right on her taking any kind of chance she had to make things right.

Then since it was an eldritch magical setting thing, her powers were related to her voice (for not being able to say things) and a double whip as a weapon for lashing out aggression (and all the pent up anger that never had a vent route) I think they were named 'doubts' and 'expectations' too. Not sure if we get powers in this one, but I felt pretty clever about that back then anyways >3<

. Not sure if we get powers in this one, but I felt pretty clever about that back then anyways >3<
Of course, there will be magic and abilities the souls can use. Souls won't be able to do so innately because of the restrictions placed on them, but powers/spells and even different forms can be earned or paid for with "weight". Everyone will start out at 0 or pretty close to it, though.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Loveless
. Not sure if we get powers in this one, but I felt pretty clever about that back then anyways >3<
Of course, there will be magic and abilities the souls can use. Souls won't be able to do so innately because of the restrictions placed on them, but powers/spells and even different forms can be earned or paid for with "weight". Everyone will start out at 0 or pretty close to it, though.
Ooooh, that's cool! And yeah, that makes sense, suppose that helps on the job XD
Also, I'm pretty happy to see so many people in the thread, it was too intriguing of an idea to let it die, glad people agree with that >3<

Hey guys, still thinking up a character. Don't really have anything to say, just want to let ya know I'm still here, haha.

Everything still going good with this? It's been a little while. No rush, of course.

Interested in this. Maybe as a veteran reprobate who's been working the gig for a hella long time (hah!) slowly whittling down her weight, but still has a looooong way to go.

Everything still going good with this? It's been a little while. No rush, of course.
Yeah, no sweat my dude, I am still on the case, it's just been a rough work week is all, among other things. The OOC should be up either tonight, or tomorrow. I apologize for the wait guys.

Another update for those of you wondering. Bit of a hiccup today, but this is the start of my stretch of days off. Have no fear, however, I'm not delaying the OOC. I will be posting it tonight. Though for some of you it might be quite late.

Sorry for the wait, everyone, here's the OOC: ALWAYS OPEN - Welcome to the SRO! | OOC It's not entirely smoothed out, but at least you all will be able to do some writing yourselves, if it pleases you!