5. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Nonbinary
  4. Transgender
  5. No Preferences
Genres
Monsters, supernatural, fantasy, romance, criminality, slice-of-life (modern or set in past, usually with some twists)
Untitled.png

Another day where the sun shone on what was the embodiment of paradise meant another day Olympia could spend not just caring for her people, which obviously was a priority, but generally just enjoying the beauty of the island with her close friends. As troubling as her worries for the future were, the present really didn't offer her too much stresses. The island provided her what most people could only dream of, and she had her friends and people she considered as her family constantly around, with the atmosphere never straying too far from utter bliss.

Currently, though, despite wanting to be taking the day slowly given the extremely nice weather they were subjected to, any chance of relaxation really wasn't up for debate because, approaching their little island in the distance was a rather grand ship. It had been months since they last had a ship pass them by, and while the creatures could survive without human meat for years if need be, there was nothing quite like having the food you were supposed to eat. They were creatures designed to lure men in, and now they had the chance to do just that after so long, no siren on the island wanted to mess it up.

Their songs would be performed as a collective, but often, the ship contained only one person, and so one siren did take the lead in the singing just in case of that eventuality. And in this case, Olympia took the initiative, deciding to be the one to lure the man if he was alone on the ship. After all, she was the mayoress and the leading figure in the group. If anyone was going to take the pressure on, it would be her. Besides, she hardly failed, and everyone knew that. She may be young, but she had her mother's confidence and her intense and breathtaking beauty - she was hardly going to fail.

"...It's coming close, you should begin the chorus," she quietly spoke the the group of two or three women stood around her, observing the nearing ship from their spot on the rocks, where they were able to get a height advantage. Laying back in her real form -she was able to defend herself better like this, if things did get violent-, she smiled confidently back at the three surrounding her. They were her mother's closest friends, and they had all taken a role in protecting Olympia since her mother's passing... even if Olympia often insisted that she was fine and didn't need the protection.

"Just go and get the others involved in the singing, I'll be absolutely fine. Who's going to resist the songs? No man can. We'll be eating and feasting tonight, I assure you," she breathed with an effortless smile on her plump lips, readjusting her gloriously red tail to lay out on the rocks, while maintaining her comfortable posture and ensuring that she looked the best she could be... which didn't take a lot of effort.

"Are you sure, Olympia?" Murmured one of the sirens, stood up in her more human-like form as she scanned the horizon. "You don't want us to stay with you? What if there's a group of men? What if... after last time, darling... I won't allow that to happen--"

"Merida, love, I'll be totally fine. If it's a group, you'll see from your spot on the cliff and you can rush to lure some men away yourself. Now hurry along and start the chorus. I'm... capable of defending myself; defending us and providing my people with a meal. Now, can I have some belief, hm~?"​

On that marvelous ship? Was the future Earl Nightingale, and his sailors. Obviously, with a ship like his (or any sailboat for that matter) would have more than one man. Someone needed to keep on watch in the crow's nest, a few others were in charge of the sails, more were needed to keep the sail clean, another for actually steering the boat. And not to mention if they came in contact with pirates, some were put on weapon duty to fire canons and what not. So this ship, was supplied with many men. Probably enough for each Siren on that island.

That sunny day, Eugene, the captain of the ship for this voyage was in high spirits. This voyage should definitely put him first in line for his father's company. You see his father, Chauncey, owned a very successful company. However, Eugene felt like his old man was far too stuck in the past, and did business in old ways. Times were changing! Hell it was 1850, his old man needed to think ahead. So when that damn man finally kicked the bucket, Eugene would become Earl and gain his company and make it better. "Boys today the seas our in favor, full coarse ahead, Northwest!" Eugene commanded.

"Sir!" Called a man from the Crows Nest. The man obviously saw the island, his eyes wide on it. It looked like paradise. It had to be something of value there. "Land ho!"

Eugene glanced at the island, seeing it being flourished with many plants, a little paradise it looked like. Glancing at his map he saw no island on there. An unclaimed island. This should be very promising. "Set a sail to the island, when we reach it search for anythi-....Do you hear that?" He asked, beginning to hear a beautiful melody.

"Are... you sure it's wise to go off track, sir? We... We need to get to the port in California in a few days, and... you know what happens if we arrive late. What if they don't trade with us? This... I need the money, I need to be paid, sir," began a nervous man who approached the deck of the ship, his anxious eyes scanning the distance ahead of them to the exotic island. The man, David, had been at school with Eugene, spending his days at the posh school often carrying around Eugene's things for him. His own family were that of a high standing in society, but things for David hadn't been as... easy. His father lost his job in the government, his mother was made redundant from her own job as matron at a hospital, and David was forced to work hard-labour jobs for a few years until Eugene granted him jobs as a sailor. He had no experience of life on the sea, but the years of working hard jobs in coal mines and heavy-lifting materials meant he could at least offer his great strength. He did see Eugene as a friend of sorts, but of course, the feeling probably wasn't mutual. For example, he was always corrected whenever he tried to call Eugene by his name - it was always 'sir' or 'captain', so he can't have been considered that much of a friend.

Despite his muscular frame and manly demeanour, David... really was considered a wimp by the other sailors. A day never passed without them laughing at his nervous disposition. His lack of experience meant that he was often seasick, or, to his embarrassment, curled up crying softly in some corner because he feared the harsh waves at night would overturn the boat. Now, he approached Eugene's side with a wary glance overboard at the calm waves below - though not calm enough, as far as he was concerned.

"I really need this to go well, sir. My... My old mother, she needs medical care... and... that... singing," he warily began, his eyes widening as the boat neared the beautiful island, his reluctance slowly fading away when the melodies hit his ears like they had so many sailors over the years. The man was handsome, but probably not in the same way Eugene was. Eugene was obviously and objectively handsome, while David's own looks were of a boyish, youthful charm. The longer you were around him, the more handsome he became. He was harmless, and that gentle personality of his did make him a gentleman. However, even gentlemen like him were taken in by those melodies. He didn't deserve the fate ahead of him when sirens got their clutches into him, but they didn't discriminate - a human was a human. However kind they were, they were food.

"It's beautiful, sir," he breathed quietly as he leaned on the ship, a dreaminess crossing his eyes and in his smile. "We... We must see what it is, mustn't we?"

684.jpg

"You don't think it's... Mermaids do ya cap'in?" Asked another sailor who was a bit on the pudgy side and looked like he came from the rough side of town. He had a scratch over his right eye, however both eyes looked to the island as they sailed to it.

Eugene was lost for words as they got closer and closer. Such beautiful singing. That...Whatever it was it had to be worth much money. His right palm itched as he thought of all the money it would be if this happened to be a mermaid. Yes he knew it was silly to think it was one...But...He was curious. "Alright, anchor the ship! I'm going to search the island first. Alone. You men stay put. If there are people on this island and they aren't friendly, I'm sure I can escape with my life. Where as you lot would get caught. I can't have you dying on me."

"Aw, cap'in ya care for me life?" Asked the rough looking man with a grin.

"No, I simply can't work a ship by myself. I would end up being stuck if all you die."

"I... I want to come onto the island, sir. I... I've helped you since we were young boys, I think I can help you now. I just... that singing, I need to discover what it is, where it's coming from. I-I... I'll take a reduction in my pay, I just need to see the source," desperately pleaded David, happy to risk the one thing he desired in money in order to see the singers responsible for the melodies. It was what the songs did to people who heard it - it got into their head, numbed them to reality and the harshness of life, and simply filled them with the longing and dreamy vulnerability that the sirens then used to their advantage when the men who lured close enough.

"Is that a woman?" Blurted David once the figure came into view. By this point, Olympia had reverted to her more human-like form to wander on the beach, feigning innocence as she collected a few pretty seashells as though she wasn't aware of the incoming boat. At this point, she was nothing more than a vague figure resembling a woman, but even with this distance, David felt his chest tighten and his breath leave him, overcome with just how beautiful Olympia was, from what he could see. The closer they got, the more red he became and the more breathless he grew. "She's... I... I... Eugene, it doesn't seem to be dangerous, a-allow me to come join you. I-I... I can help collect treasure..."​

"It's captain." Snapped the man. "And stay here, that is an order." Eugene commanded as he looked at the woman with an arched brow. Hopping off the boar, and landing into the sand, he headed towards the woman curiously.

Yes she was beautiful, but...Would she be able to make him money? Was she wearing gold that he could con off of her. Walking up to her, he granted her his sweetest smile. "Beautiful melody my lady...Can you understand me?"

Having been aware that the ship did occupy a few sailors before it even dropped anchor, she was both pleasantly surprised -and irritated- that only one took the initiative to head towards her. After all, after so many weeks without a taste of meat, one human would be delightful-- but it would hardly satisfy as much as a few of them would do. However, she was aware that maybe the others would follow him, so, instead of showing the annoyance on her face, she instead sat back against the rock with a genuinely impressed smile crossing her features. She had... well, seen many men during her long life so far, but none stood out in her mind as being so beautiful as this man was. At least he would be easy on the eye until she killed him, right?

"Oh, I understand perfect English, and speak it too," she smiled as she tied her waist-long hair up into a long ponytail, all while letting her blue eyes lock onto his expression. Her voice, like her songs, held the same melodic femininity to it, with a slight twang of an untraceable accent that did nothing but make her seem all the more exotic. Gently pushing her shoulders back and playing with the strap of the gorgeous dress she currently donned, she bit her bottom lip mostly out of curiosity than an attempt to look beautiful - she didn't need to make herself look like that, when it happened naturally no matter what expression she pulled.

"We... rarely get visitors to our little home. Why did you stop? Was it my singing~?" She purred lightly, without making it seem at all forced, before giggling to herself gleefully. "Oh, I'm sure you're on some very important business, you don't have to stop by here. I'm glad you did. It's awfully nice to have a handsome, strong man come visit~"​

"It was that beautiful melody of yers that caught my ears..." He answered breathlessly, gawking at her beautiful features. She was far to beautiful to seem real. Once his sends came back a bit, he looked at her body, searching for any gold jewelry. Cursing under his breath when he saw none, he gave his famous lopsided smile.

"I'm sorry to bother you miss....Oh where are my manners? I'm Eugene Nightingale, future Earl Nightingale. What is your name?" He asked kindly. She may not be wearing anything valuable, but...That didn't mean he couldn't get a valuable memory from this.

• Love
Reactions: potassiumboron
"Eugene Nightingale, that's a superb name, isn't it? It's almost poetic-- very melodic," she praised as she got back to her feet, her toes absently digging into the sand and smiling quietly to herself at the fruity scent Eugene naturally had. It always made for a good taste, she found, and after weeks of no meat whatsoever, she was definitely going to savour the moment when they cooked his body up around the fire.

Pushing herself closer, subtly, she cast a concerned eye to the ship. She wanted to kill him as soon as she could, but not with the other men in full sight of what was happening. Normally, she wouldn't have cared, but after the attack ten years or so ago, it had left her admittedly cautious of groups of men, so she subtly took the man's hands in her own and flashed him another of those marvellous smiles over her shoulder, beginning to quietly lead him off towards the lush forests where, in the middle of it all, her community lived and called home. She wasn't going to take him that far, no. Just to a small clearing where a pond sat. She could kill him now, as she was, but most of her strength came when she was in her real form. It was why so many men were killed by her kind in the water - they had their full strength at hand to overpower them should they try and fight back.

"Let me show you the ponds, they're dazzling," she cooed as she stopped to admire the glittering water below, before taking her hair down from its band once more. "How about a nice dip? I'm sure you've been working hard, sailor-man. Don't you want to relax those muscles of yours~?"​

"Relaxing does sound nice. But, taking a dip is out of the question, my lady. I have no swimming wear with me. I couldn't possibly soak naked in front of a lady, that would be a nightmare." Laughed the man, his eyes watching her like a hawk. He felt his senses numbing, and it was...Odd. Something in his gut was screaming danger to him. But...He saw no danger.

Looking around at the little homes, his brow arched a bit. If this was a community, with actually people...Where were they? "...Miss...Sorry you've never told me your name, but where is everyone? I see homes yet...It's all eerily quiet...I believe I should get back to my men now. I don't see anything of value here." He mumbled, a bit disappointed, and he no longer wanted to lye with her.

"Nothing of value? Oh, I find that personally insulting. Am I not valuable? I like to think that I'm of importance... Now, I don't know how the world is in your country, but here, you really don't need to be so tight and constrained. Be free, let loose-- come closer to me, I want to see your eyes," purred the woman as she eagerly pushed herself up, her hands coolly sliding to rest on his firm shoulders. He may have been looking to escape after thinking there was nothing valuable around, but it coincided with the very moment Olympia was ready to strike. Licking her lips hungrily, though it could be mistaken for lust, she pushed her full lips onto his to distract him, using her hands as further distractions as they worked to play in his hair... well, until biting firmly on his lip with her now sharp teeth.

In that moment of a passionate embrace, where the beautiful woman gave everything into the kiss, her form had altered into the one her kind were known best for. In only a few seconds, her nails were now dug into his skin, her tongue licking blood hungrily from her lips and, with her additional strength, holding him close in refusal to let him go. "Not valuable? How insulting," she hissed into his ear again, cackling beneath her breath as she moved to try and gain the dominant position, in order to knock him unconscious if she could.​

Pulling away from the sudden kiss in surprise, he looked at her confused until realizing she changed. Like...Really changed. Hopping out the water and a away from her from sudden fear, he looked at her body, wondering if his eyes were playing tricks...But they weren't. This was....a mermaid. Or so he thought.

This...This woman was of much value. She was worth....hundreds of thousands of dollars. He was rich! Holding back a giddy laugh, he moved to look at her tail. "...Marvelous....Lady, I...How would you like it, to see the world?" He asked suddenly with a grin.

Watching him incredulously, she hadn't entirely expected that sort of comment out of his mouth. Usually, her victims were so besotted with her that they could think of nothing else but pressing in closer as she rid them of their lives, only realising the danger they were truly in when it was far too late. For the mayoress to hear him offer her a chance like that and show no desire to return a kiss was... slightly upsetting. She didn't take pleasure in kissing humans, it was simply a necessity to get them close and make them vulnerable, but there was always something nice in realising that you were appreciated and thought of as a beautiful person. His ignorance did make her think of herself as not so pretty for the first time in... well, her life.

Now, she would have reached out to drag him under the water and simply drowned him of life if she didn't hear the offer he made. She wasn't to realise how deceptive and devious this man was. She was oblivious to anything and everything off her little island, after all, so she really didn't understand what plans he had for her. She wasn't to know that she would probably end up in a freak show somewhere, while he rode off into the sunset clutching several thousand dollars in his hand. What she did believe, though, was that he must have thought her beautiful. Clearly, he must, right? If he was willing to offer her a chance to see the world, he... must be besotted with her. That made more sense than him thinking she was ugly, after all.

"...You mean it?" She whispered quietly, pressing her head on her hands with a faint frown. She didn't trust humans, regardless of how in love with her they were, and this offer, despite it being all she had ever wanted, seemed too good to be true at the moment. "...I'd... I demand that you take me. I won't let it be on your terms, as an offer. You are to take me and you do not control me, human man. I am a siren. We aren't controlled by pathetic creatures like you, understood? And you will bring me back before Spring arrives."​

"Why of course your majesty. I will have my men treat you with great respect, and only feed you the best of food and drink the best of wine. I personally will take you to the most gorgeous of places, and bring you before Spring. Oh the world is a marvelous thing to travel." He told her as he helped her out the water. The entire time, Eugene's mind was racing with thoughts. The amount of money he was going to make off of her. And with that money he could improve his future company he was sure to inherit. This was great, the seas were surely with him today! Sending him to this island to discover this creature.

After a little bit, they finally reached the ship. Once bringing her onto the boat, obviously the men were gawking at her in surprise. One of the men were nearly drooling as he spoke up. "C-Captain? W...Who's this lady?" He asked, hypnotized by her beauty.

"This is....Well I actually never caught her name." He mumbled, just realizing this. He was so wrapped up in the idea of all the money he would be making that he hadn't realized he didn't know her name. "....Well simply know that she will be joining us for our journey for a while. Treat her with the most respect." Stated Eugene. "Come lady, I'll shoe you the Captain's courters. It's the nicest place on the ship to sleep." He admitted. He needed to get her to trust him. He didn't need her jumping off the boat and swimming back home.

"Joining us Captain?! A...A lady? Like herself? She's...Wow miss you're gorgeous..."

"Yes, yes, we know. Fetch her some wine. Bring it to my room." He grumbled as he Lea her to his room. "Don't make the lady uncomfortable."

This may have been everything she had wanted since she was a young child, being allowed an opportunity to travel across the horizon, but the siren did nervously peer at her island, where her family and friends would surely wonder where their beloved mayoress was. She could return in a month, claim that she had been kidnapped and emphatically cry and feign horror at how horrible humans were to have torn her from her home against her will. She wasn't going to tell them the truth, so making an excuse as convincing as that was her plan. But she still felt guilty. Humans were food to her, yet here she was, stood on a ship with them and trying to shoot glares at every man who longingly eyed her up-- which was mostly all the men. Of course they would look at her, she knew that-- but she didn't understand just how weak-minded and lust-focused they were.

"I forbid any of you to touch me, or I shall rip your heads from your bodies and eat you whole. I'm not a nice little human lady. I'm a siren, and proud of it. I'm simply accompanying you on the journey for... my own reasons. I am not here to be flirted with. I am not submissive to men. Human men are the most awful of creatures," she suddenly declared, glaring at all the men and smiling triumphantly at the shocked stares that she received. None of the men were used to taking their orders from a woman, especially not one who claimed she wasn't human.

"I don't need you to treat me. I didn't accompany you because I liked you. Don't fool yourself, human. I'm simply taking the offer and I'll keep to myself. I won't associate myself with any of you," she continued, turning away from them and sighing briefly. The feel of the ship under her hands and the wind in her hair was.. exhilarating. The sight of the sails above her did make her eyes twinkle excitedly at the knowledge she would soon by on the ocean, sailing to a brand new place... but she wasn't afraid to kill any one of the sailors who dared to think that she was only there to be flirted with, like that was all she was good for.

"You," she muttered to the man who had complimented her, eyeing him up and narrowing her eyes. "I'm thirsty. What is it you humans drink? Beer, isn't it? I've seen sailors drink bottles of the stuff. I'd quite like one of those."​

"Why certainly!" The man stated before hurrying off to get her a beer.

Eugene looked at before grinning brightly. "Siren. What is your name? Or shall I call you siren?" He asked as he sat on his bed. "I understand you are coming for personal reasons, and that you don't like me. That is all fine with me. But I would like to know your name."

Eyeing his room closely, it was surprising simply for her to see how these humans lived on the ships. She had seen many ships in her time, but had never set foot on them before. Being in one of the humans' rooms was a rare experience-- and she was soaking it all up, eyeing the bed and the clothes without being subtle in her curiosity.

"Olympia," she finally answered, her full lips pouted perfectly as she turned her attention back onto the captain of the ship. If he wasn't taking her across the ocean, she would have killed and eaten an arm by now. She was almost drooling at the thought, but she couldn't kill him now, even if she was terribly hungry and craved proper meat more than anything else.

Perching herself in a comfortable leather armchair, she wriggled her toes absently before adjusting her glamorous dress, deciding that the least she could do was make herself look nice. She did like compliments -who didn't?- and even if the human men irritated her, she was hoping to gain a few compliments here and there. "And you said you were Eugene Nightingale, didn't you? Well, Eugene Nightingale, I'm hungry. I want you to spare one of your men for me to eat. I would be feasting on you if you hadn't made this offer."​

"One of my men? No can do. I've ensured their families a safe return. How about raw meat instead?" He asked as he sat on his other leather armchair.

Another sailor came in, handing her a beer with a smile, before handing the captain wine.

Eugene looked at the man, before looking at the siren. "How about him? Is he good enough?"

"Good enough? I'm not entirely fussy-- I won't ruin my chances of returning. If you say they're too valuable to you, then I simply will have to deal with raw fish and meat. I.. will not give you any excuse to not bring me home. I don't trust you men. You'll attack and hurt me if I give you a reason too, a valid reason. So no, I won't have him. You'll fish and bring me some of your catches," she decided, accepting the beer without so much as a look of gratitude. She didn't need to ever show these men that she was thankful to them. They were beneath her. Their species were made to be targeted and feasted upon by her species - and she knew not to play with food.

Letting her long hair down, she rested back with the sun shining perfectly on her face, illuminating every perfect, flawless feature her face -and body- possessed. The light did cascade across her curves, highlighted perfectly in her own personally designed dress, and, particularly, her blue eyes, with the light on them, resembled the very water of the ocean below. She was a creature born to the sea, after all, so resembling the waters in her eyes wasn't a surprise.

"Eugene," she began slowly, those brilliant blue gems peering over at him once more, after taking a quiet sip from the bottle. "Why not kill me? I'm curious. I've openly declared that I eat your kind. I see you're still bleeding profusely from my attack. After all this, why haven't you shot a bullet in my head? Is it because of my beauty? Be honest."​

Bleeding? He thought to himself before touching the wound. He instantly winced when realized he was even hurt. He hadn't even known he got hurt until she said something. Standing up, he went to his little belongings and began to bandage himself up as he spoke. "Well, it isn't that simple. It isn't because of your beauty." He answered. How could he tell her it's because he knows he going to make a hell of a lot of money from her?

Once he was finished he turned to her, giving his famous lopsided smile. "It's because of your eyes. They looked sad since the moment I've seen you. And when I saw your true form, I understood why. You've never seen the world. A creature like yourself should be swimming the seas." He lied smoothly. He was one hell of a liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.