The Sight

The drawing of the older cat distantly resembled and reminded him of his maternal grandmother, an elderly human woman that had been mellowed out by years. She used to always have a salty yet bitter scent -a scent that he soon learned wasa mix of sadness and regret-. What exactly she regretted was something he was never around long enough to find out.

"Were you a volunteer at the shelter?"

Cooper asks, the story of the cat felt personal. Like someone had persistently in her presence, enough to get to learn her and her backstory. His eyes squint at the page to better view the drawing, a cool breeze brushes by and the unruly strands of his hair rustle with it.

Oliver smiled just remembering all the cats he met. Hearing his question he looked back up at him. "Kind of? I never officially applied to be a volunteer, the staff there always kind of just let me come in and help out whenever," usually he just popped in whenever he could,"I liked to sit with the older cats the most. No one ever wants the older cats, it's sad. I think they deserve someone to sit and pet them too." He loved all cats of course but he liked to sit with the older cats the most since he knew they didn't get alot of visitors. "I knew of a program actually that just started up back in the city, some shelters were taking their older cats to visit elderly people in nursing homes and the such,"there were alot of pros and cons to the city. But even the cons there were worth it over this crazy town.

A small well of discomfort oozes inside his chest, Oliver was only speaking facts. Older cats were often overlooked, forgotten, or worse abandoned. It's tiring things he had somewhat alreada. come to terms with but it had never been directly told to him, and Cooper overlooking the problem. If he would've dug up some of the empathy he had buried in his own heart, maybe he could've helped with the cat problem in Warlington. Even if it was just a little. Yet, most creatures outside of the supernatural realm never seemed to survive for long in Warlington..

"Most places are better than this town.."

He states solemnly, glancing away from the drawing. Of the very few places he'd hesitated or lodged at, no one was quite as 'bad' as Warlington. And it wasn't just their twisted history of participating in demonic arts and mingling in affairs with evil creatures, it was also the occupants. It seemed like the bad blood could never be washed out, it was almost permanent. Never erased even by the input of slightly good blood. But after spending so many centuries in the cursed town, Cooper had learnt to cope with it in his own special way.

Oliver wished that he could take in some cats around here but he didn't know how long he would be staying. He didn't want to take in any cats it he didn't have a permanent place to keep them. When Cooper made the comment about the town he laughed a little. "Can't agree with you more on that one," he sighed as he turned the pages of his sketchbook,"Even the worst parts of the city seem better then this town. Small town but big problems. Problems being most the people in this town are secretly Satan probably." He laughed at his own joke, not aware how true he was. "They don't take well to outsiders either, and they certainly like their rumors." He eventually got to the end of the drawings of cats, there were quite a lot of them. Feeling something hit his hand he looked to see it was a raindrop. Hurrying he closed his sketchbook and put it back in his bag,"You never know with the weather here, one raindrop can turn into a downpour in seconds you know?" He couldn't risk his sketchbook getting wet.

He has to nod in agreement, even if it's stiff and a little awkward. It's not that he wasn't agreeing, but in more ways than one the town was his. His soul was tethered to it the moment his mother pushed him out of his womb. So actually having it shoved into his face how bad the town was compared to other places, was eye opening and a little painful. Almost like it was his own insecurities being talked about. Cooper would never claim the creatures living in it, maybe it was because he hated humans. However a part of it was also the uneven feeling of claiming something that was living. When it came to the ground he walked on, that was something he was more comfortable with lying claims to that. He stiffens even more with the mention of the devil, while they weren't literal incarnations of satan. Which probably would've made him hate them less, but they were connected to the devil. Maybe not by blood, but their soul was another thing.

He's unintentionally jolted out of his thoughts by a large drop of water plopping onto the edge of his coat. Cooper shoots his gaze up to the suddenly clouded skies, he had been so caught up in their conversation that he hadn't taken notes of the weather.

"Yes, especially in this town. The weather has its own mind," Cooper grumbles, a little peeved at what the sudden change in weather would do to one of his favorite sweaters.

Oliver saw him nod but the way he didn't really respond made him worried he talked too much. He tended to do that especially since he didn't talk to people very often. So when he started a conversation with someone he was comfortable talking to he ended up talking too much. Usually it scared the other person off or he would offend them somehow. He didn't try and bring up the topic about the town again, just thinking making he was ranting too much. Seeing a few more drops fall he double checked that his bag was zipped up before hiding it under his jacket. "Weather definitely has a mind of its own, got its own agenda," he laughed a little,"Gets alot of hate though, the weather, gets blamed for ruining plans, ruining people's stuff, etc. When all it's really doing is its job, maybe I'm biased since I don't mind the rain too much. I don't like it when I'm drawing because I have to scramble to put everything away but other than that the rain is pretty and nice to fall asleep to."

"It does.. But I'm also biased, it's always so nice in the forest when it rains.."

Cooper says with a faint of a smile playing at his lips, his dark blues twinkling with barely hidden fondness. It was one of the main reasons why he enjoyed the forest, the smell of wet soil and the pitter patter of rain against the trees caused him to feel more at home. Maybe it was one of the many reasons he stuck around in his younger years, before the soul pact had officially been sealed. He's attention is snapped back to the human when he comes to the realization,

"Oh, we should probably find shelter."

He muses out loud, while his body was well adjusted to the changing weather and immune to all humanly sicknesses. Oliver probably wasn't, because Cooper wasn't sure how much of him was human and how much was a bride. He doesn't let his mind hover on the thoughts for too long, quickly picking himself up from the rock and scanning the area for the least prominent place.

"Looks like we are both biased towards the rain," he said with a small laugh, "It didn't rain as much in the city which was something I wasn't a big fan of." Whenever it did rain he couldn't help but opening the windows afterwards or during if it wasn't strong. He loved the smell of rain, sound of it, just soothing to him. "If it didn't make me sick I would probably stand out in the rain when it came," he looked up at the other when he said they should find shelter. The clouds were turning gray pretty fast which meant a downpour was coming. Following his lead he stood up and looked around. "Ahh well there's the trees but the rain will just pour in between the leaves...could always head deeper in and maybe find a tree with a big branch?" he suggested, pulling his bag strap over his head.

(what's a bride?)

Cooper nods, his mind choosing this moment to input a relatively blurry memory of a fallen boulder that somewhat resembled some kind of makeshift cave. They could stay there until the showers calmed down, it usually didn't rain too hard for long. Carefully adjusting his coat, he leans his weight onto the balls of his feet. Trying to recall where exactly the boulder had been. "There's a makeshift cave some ways from here, just a few feet through those trees." He says, pointing a finger towards a gathering of trees that had a small amount of space between them. Almost like a hidden path, without actually waiting for any agreement . He quickly hurries to the trees, pushing a few branches out of the way so they don't try hitting him in the face.

Oliver noticed the rain getting slightly heavier already, noting this was probably going to be a downpour. He looked around a bit still trying to find shelter when Cooper suggested a sort of cave a little ways away. "Oh that sounds perfect! We will have to make a run for it," he laughed a little before Cooper took off. He followed behind him since the other knew where to go more than him. Eventually the reached the makeshift cave, both moving out of the rain. "Well, thank you Mr. Boulder, now we can avoid getting soaked," he was happy they found a way to avoid getting wet but still watch the rain fall.

Cooper let's a soft sigh of relief when the hard pouring eventually refused the access to reach them underneath the boulder, using his hands he wipes at the few droplets dribbling through his hair and into his face. The cold rain, while momentarily frustrating, was also cold against his skin and gave him a relative amount of peace. And it thankfully wasn't enough to get him completely soaked."I think the harder showers will eventually pass after a while, enough for you to get back without getting lost in the downpour.. " He states, peeking from underneath the large boulder to look at the large and dark clouds decorating the sky.

Oliver looked up at the trees from where they were in the little makeshift cave. A few drops hit him here and there but it wasn't that bad. "Eventually it'll still to smaller showers yeah, then I can walk back," he said with a small smile,"Might rain here alot but at least it calms down to smaller rain storms so we can use it as a chance to escape." He said jokingly as he watched the rain continue, watching as it eventually simmered down. "Well looks like it might be calming down a bit...probably my only chance to get out while I can. It was nice to meet you, maybe I'll see you again next time I come out?" He actually had alot of fun talking to Cooper, the first person he really did enjoy talking to in this town.

(so what should happen next? A time skip?)

Cooper shuffles his slightly dampened coat, his eyes flitting across the forest -well the blurred view of the trees through the heavy downpours-. As it slowly calms down, the smell of wet soil and leaves clouds his nose, giving him a strong sense of nostalgia. Before he'd moved in with his father and grandmother, he and his mother used to squat in the forest a lot. It was easier to hide surrounded by tall trees, and most of the creatures were fond of the two. Less of his mother, but nonetheless with how often they spent between the trees, the creatures just grew used to them. And in a way, his young and confused brain had thought of them as family. Even more than his deranged mother.

He finds himself slightly astonished at the subtle offer to meet again, most humans would have been running by the hills the moment they even caught a glimpse of him, Oliver was continuing to surprise him. Cooper's too flabbergasted to even begin to make coherent words with his tongue, so he nods trying to show how genuine it was by a small tilt of his cracking lips. It would probably be a little helpful for his sanity to talk to someone other than the furry companions that surrounded him during the fall and winter seasons.

(Yeah, let's do a time skip.)

(sorry got like extremely busy)

Oliver watched as the rain subsided before stepping out of the little makeshift cave. Like he thought, there were a few drops but not nearly that bad. He should be able to make it back home without getting drenched. Looking back to Cooper he smiled brightly when he nodded, glad to have someone to talk to who wasn't crazy in this town. "Looks like we have a plan then! See you later!" he waved at the other before heading off on the path back out of the forest. His days became pretty routine after that meeting. Wake up, make grandma breakfast and give medicine, head out to the forest to talk to Cooper and draw for a bit, head home lunch and medicine for grandma, free time before dinner and medicine again. Other than that he occasionally left to get groceries or more of his grandma's medicine. It was getting colder out now that fall was in full swing so he needed to make sure his grandma drank warm drinks and he kept the fireplace going. Having made sure his grandma was all settle Oliver headed out of the house. This time along with his bag he had a small container with him, having make some sweet treats he wanted to share them with Cooper. He walked to the forest path almost on autopilot, yawning a bit as he entered the clearing. Usually he tended to arrive first but Cooper was never far behind, so he moved over to the rock to sit down.

"Later.." Cooper mumbles softly, his voice never reaching any ears from the relatively loud sound of the rain. With hands stuffed inside the warmth of his coat's pocket, he leans back on the heel of his foot. Listening until Oliver's heartbeat is completely out of the forest, and the tingling sensation at his nape completely disappears. The forest has transformed into a wet wonderland and the cold smell of wet soil and the soft trickling of water down tree leaves clouds his senses, the scenery is exactly the same as it's been for decades. But there's something hanging behind forest green eyes that has him seeing it in a somewhat different light. With a heavy sigh he trudges his way through the thick trees, heavy boots thudding against sopping soil.

The week goes on in a somewhat calm exterior, nothing too much happens, most of the adventurous youth have taken to playing at the stream just on the outskirts of the forest. Leaving Cooper with much more time to do his own, he spends it pouring over the new arrival of books from his grandmother. Her strict orders resounded throughout his head for the entire week, keeping him occupied and busy until he got up to take his daily detour to the clearing. It's a schedule he finds himself quite fond of, with his prejudiced view of humans he found that maybe not all of them were as the rumours claimed them to be.

Shrugging on his coat over his oversized but thick sweater, he gives Puss a quick scratch at the back of her ear before he's thumping his way down his cabin's patio. Head a mess of unruly strands of hair he hadn't had the time to comb down, his appearance is rugged and the hours of sleep he's lost collect in dark circles underneath his eyes. He doesn't try to speed up when the hairs on his naoe stand up, he preferred to take his time before arriving at the clearing. Cooper pushes a limp branch out of his way and reveals the now occupied rock, "Morning."

Oliver was more than happy to take time out of his day to come to this clearing. Before it was visiting the forest that he loved most but now he was just as eager to see Cooper. The other just...wasn't like other people. Yeah yeah, super cliche but it was true, cooper didn't judge or gossip or care about stupid stuff like that. With him he felt like they could talk for hours and not even notice it. Half the time he happened to check his phone and notice how much time had passed before rushing off. Of course people in town started noticing him coming to the forest more, they were all talking about him. Wasn't much else to do in this town and seeing as the odd foreign boy returned he was definitely the talk of the town. For the most part he was being left alone, other than the occasional heckle at the store or in passing. He yawned as he leaned back a little bit to enjoy the view of the skies and trees. When he heard Cooper he immediately looked to him and smiled. "Morning!" he chirped back happily before going to find the container he brought,"I brought snacks this time! I've noticed you've looked really tired recently..."he blushed a little knowing it was probably a weird thing to notice," So I figured you could use some treats as a little pick me up!" In the container were a few different kinds of cookies. He wasn't sure what cooper liked...so he just made a bunch.

In the very early years of Cooper's teens, he spent it tailing behind his otherwise indifferent mother. With no friends, no other family besides his mother, and very very limited interactions with any other living souls outside of the critters inhabiting the forest they so frequently squatted at. He was an anxious soul back then, with worries beyond his mother's mental capacity, a curious nature that could never be sufficed, and a tongue that could never coerce intelligible words. He had learned very quickly -on his fifteenth birthday to be specific- that the best way to handle the ravenous curiosity was by simply not allowing himself to care or be interested in anything, or as was harshly told to him by his lovely mother. It was a horrible habit Cooper had without even a reluctant bone in his body, accepted, and while the years being raised by his father and grandmother were uplifting and educational. He still could not find it in himself to completely destroy it.

But yet, as he steps over the threshold of fallen twigs and overgrown weeds, there's a large flame of curiosity burning inside his chest, nothing compared to the small sparks he had when the two had just met. He wanted to learn about the younger human, his story, his experiences. To maybe put a picture in the open and vast frame that resembled Oliver. Cooper's dark boots thud heavily against the forest grounds, dismissing the loud snaps of twigs and branches as he walks over to the boy's side. His eyes curiously peering at the container being offered, noting the large array of flavors of shapes. "Thank you... " Moderately befuddled by the generous offer, his lips involuntarily tilting down slightly in a bluntly tangible mien of timidity.

Oliver had never wanted to try and be friends with other people. He typically avoided them, hence why he spent his time in a field. Even in the city, which was full of people he did his best to avoid others. They made him anxious, he was afraid to open up to anyone. Scared they would judge him or make fun of him like everyone in town did. Being an odd quiet pale foreign nothing to help him in a small town like this. It didn't help that due to his upbringing he had a pretty funny accent, one that didn't go away as he grew. He only got better at masking it so people wouldn't ask about it. But when it came to Cooper he found himself willing to make the sacrifice of being embarrassed. He wanted to talk to him more even if it meant eventually the other wouldn't like him if he found out about him. Offering the cookies he smiled but it faltered a bit when he saw his lips turn down, awkwardly setting the container down between them. "Ah um...no problem...i like baking actually but usually I bake too much for me to eat," he shrugged.

Feeling awkwardly placed, he shuffles his hands out of the warmth of his pockets. In an unquiet manner he fumbles with the top of the container, irritated at his lack of knowledge when it comes to responding to the obvious dismissing of the offer, the lid lets up with a small pop. One that sounds intensely louder against his increasingly oversensitive ears. Disregarding the small flinch that shoots through his hands, his nose twitches as he leans down towards the container. Cooper’s senses immediately are bombarded with the sweet smells of the sugary cookie dough, though his eyes are immediately drawn to the viennese whirls, cookie swirls prettily dusted in powdered sugar with butter icing and berry jam sandwiched between. Without properly realizing his hands moving, he reaches eagerly into the container. Carefully weaving his way over the other cookie before he reaches the one that he was aiming for. The moment his rough fingers brush against the cookie he’s pulling it back and like a shot, pushes the semi-rough and sweet decadent into his mouth. His brain out riding any outside sounds and surroundings, to delve in the bursting flavors dancing across his tongue. When the cookie is gone, and already swallowed, does Cooper embarrassingly compose himself. “Sorry, my father claims that fruity things are the keys to my heart.” he admits, relatively embarrassed at the fact of the statement and at the same time fondly looking back at the phrase that was so commonly told to him.

Oliver didn't get to bake for people very often, it was actually his grandma that taught him to bake. When he was younger they would bake all the time, his poor grandpa being bombarded with treats left and right. But once he moved away he withdrew from talking to many people and kept to himself, so he never had a reason to bake. Coming back home he even still didn't have a need to bake since his grandma couldn't have alot of sweets. So it was a bit on a whim that he decided to make Cooper some cookies, hence why he was so nervous for his reaction. The shorter male was fumbling around with his sketchbook drawing while Cooper examined the cookies. The way the taller man fumbled with the container and examined the cookies made him smile. Subtly he sketched the other quietly, noticing he immediately beelined for the cookie with the jam. Seeing the other was really embarrassed he laughed sweetly but smiled. "That's alright! I take that as a compliment," he smiled as he closed his sketchbook a little,"If you like cookies with fruit jam and stuff I can make those more." He found himself eager at the idea of baking the other more cookies, now knowing which ones he liked the most. That's part of the reason he made a bunch of different kinds, he wanted to see which one Cooper would gravitate to. And little would you know it, he liked the fruity ones.