The Sight

"It's fine…"

Cooper reassures earnestly, truthfully if Oliver hadn't been blabbing he wasn't sure how long he could've kept the conversation flowing. He was used to small talk, when it came to long conversations he was very stunted. So it helped when the other person could make for his lack of conversing skills.

"Uh, sure, if you don't mind.."

He replies after hesitating at the offer, instantly awkwardly shuffling forward. It feels like it takes fifty years to get to the boys side, he suddenly feels very awkward and a little self conscious. Cooper hopes that his looming doesn't frighten the boy, without truly realizing it, he slumps a little almost to make himself smaller then he is. Shuffling sheepishly from foot to foot.

"Ca-can I sit…?"

He stumbles, promptly feeling bashful at his inept stumbling of words

Oliver was glad he didn't seem to talk the other's ear off. Despite being a more to himself type of person he found he could be extremely talkative when comfortable talking to someone. When he said he would like some snacks he immediately smiled and went to grab his bag. "I don't mind, I always have an abundance snacks so sharing isn't a problem," he was an only child and never really had a sibling to share stuff with. He remembered trying desperately to share his snacks with the other town kids when he first moved here but they avoided him. The way Cooper walked showed he wasn't used to really talking to people so Oliver tried his best not to watch him as he walked over, not wanting to make him feel more awkward. "Oh um yeah of course! Sorry let me just move my stuff," he hurried to put his sketchbook away and moved it so Cooper could sit down on the walk. Oliver pulled out a few snacks, some chips bags, trail mix and nature Valley bars. "Um pick whatever you want," he smiled as he laid them down on the rock.

Cooper is grateful that Oliver wasn't intently watching his every move, it helped to calm the jittering nerves. He watches silently as the boy shuffles his sketchbook into his bag, making enough room for him to sit. When he plops down he involuntarily lets out a loud 'Oomph' as he sits, not realizing how uncomfortable it actually was to lean his weight entirely on one leg for the span of a whole conversation. His cheeks heat up, and he flickers his eyes away for a second. Knowing that they were probably already turning a light pink. After the blush cools down, he turns his attention to the snacks decorating the rock..

He examines the small array , trying to look for the one that looked the sweetest. Ultimately deciding on a nature valley as a safe choice, his father used to live off of them. Especially the almond butter ones, Cooper was astonished that the older man never got gorged off of eating the same one almost every day -when his grandmother was too busy to notice-. Unfortunately oatmeal while filling in the moment and hour after it, always left him hungry very soon after. So he doesn't waste time tearing into the wrapper and happily munching into the sugary goodness. Anything sweet was his weakness.

Oliver had been that awkward person shuffling during a conversation. So he knew who awkward you could feel and he hoped it helped that he didn't stare. When the other sat down making an oomph sound and his cheeks blushed he laughed a little but in a sweet way. "I know the feeling, your legs are fine standing and then when you actually sit down it all hits you at once," he reassured the other that it was normal so he didn't feel too awkward. Seeing him grab the nature bar he smiled before taking one of the bags of chips. "You prefer sweeter snacks? I've always been a salty person myself," he did like sweet snacks but was more likely to grab a salty one. He had to be in a very specific mood to go for something sweet. Too much sweetness easily overpowered him, probably because his grandma used to love baking all the time for him. While he loved it, it did overwhelm him a little bit.

Cooper contently crunches through the sweet bar, a little relieved that it was sweet. He'd tasted one that was far too bitter for him, if he recalled correctly it may have been a dark chocolate one. He nods at Oliver's reassurance, grateful that he wasn't the only one that suffered from a similar predicament. He watches out of the corner of his eye as the boy reaches for a bag of chips, a little amused at their very obvious difference in taste. Salty snacks weren't his preferred choice when it came to flavoring, most things with salt overpowered his heightened senses. And he wasn't that used to too much seasoning, sweeter things were easier to handle. Cooper nods his head at the question, once upon his younger years his answer to the question would've been denial. But that was before, he was perfectly fine admitting to what he liked. No matter what other people thought. After he's halfway through the bar, he realizes that he should probably say something.

"What do you do, in your freetime," He asks, before flickering his gaze to Oliver's bag, "Besides drawing."

Last edited:
He ate his chips in quiet as the other ate the bar. Silence didn't really bother him too much mostly because that's why he liked the forest. In the city it was insanely loud, always noises all around you. One plus to this town was that he could just go into the forest and enjoy some quiet. When Cooper asked what he liked to do he almost mentioned drawing before the other pointed it out. Blushing a little as he finished the current chip before going to answer. "Ah well...other than drawing I like reading, and in the city there was this little bookstore I loved to visit. But drawing was always my favorite thing to do when I have time. What do you do for fun?" The other seemed very private and quiet, he wondered what he might light.

Cooper silently listens as he quickly finishes up the bar, crinkling the paper in his fist before shoving it into his coat pocket. He quirks his lips when Oliver blushes, it does perk his curiosity when the boy reveals that he also enjoys reading. He does wonder how the city can be, the towering buildings must be a mystical wonder when night falls. But nature was probably scarcely there, and he thrived in nature. Cooper has to think a little at the question, because he usually didn't have much time -with having to look after a whole forest and its creatures- to spend doing his own hobbies.

"I like reading and photography."

Photography had stemmed from the sudden amount of free time he was granted when his grandmother or father were too busy to assign him the usual bookshelf of books to read. It was surprisingly one of the few things that helped him calm down after a bad fit of rage.

Oliver finished his chips soon after the other finished his snack. He took the trash and put it in a small pouch in his bag, he always kept a little ziploc bag in his bag's pouch to put trash in. Hearing the other also liked reading he smiled. "You would probably love the bookstore I used to go too in the city, it was so...vintage and unlike the rest of the city. There's a bookstore here in town but I haven't been there yet since I got back," he was debating venturing to the bookstore. Sure it meant he could get some books to read but it was also really far into town which meant he had to face the annoying townsfolk. "What do you like to take pictures of? I've also been curious about photography and how people can take such beautiful pictures..."

Cooper hums in agreement, he would probably love it. Vintage styled buildings were pretty through camera lenses. A part of his brain writing the place into his 'want to visit but will never' list, a list that had seemingly been on pause for a while. He contemplates a little over the question, leaning slightly backwards on the rock as he gazes at the towering trees.

"Sceneries, my cat…. And anything that looks nice.."

He replies, taking a small pause before continuing,

"I don't know about beautiful, most of my pictures are blurred.."

Cooper confesses, his camera roll was filled with mostly blurred pictures and then the few that came out looking good. But he always kept all of them, because as long as he understood what the images were supposed to be then they were special to him.

Oliver didn't want to keep staring at the other so he turned his gaze to look out over the clearing. Part of him wishing he could stay in the clearing forever, despite what a silly thought it was. He made sure to pay attention to the other when he said what he took pictures of. "Well beauty is subjective, some people might see blurry pictures as beautiful when others don't. But I guess it doesn't really matter as long as you like the pictures," he smiled,"You have a cat?" His brain processed that and he was immediately interested. "I always wanted a cat...when I lived in the city I would babysit this person I knew's cat once in awhile," he really did love cats. Dream life for him would be living in a house in the woods with a cat, just being left alone. No gossip, no nosey people, just peace.

The fluttering of trees and grass play as background noise, Cooper listens with a small smile as Oliver speaks. This human was breaking all of the stereotypes he has thought all of the humans were, he doesn't smell like he has any bad intentions and he's more understanding than Cooper's own grandmother. She was a stubborn woman. It makes him feel lighter, and a lot more relaxed. But not completely, danger wasn't just going to disappear because he felt relaxed.

He leans forward when the subject shifts to cats, a smile -wide and toothy- is spreading across his face as he speaks.

"Yeah, her name is Puss. She's a black tabby."

Cooper explains, before his eyes widen in realization.

"I have some pictures. "

He say excitedly, tapping against his coat pockets until he feels the square figures of the pictures. His cat stares back at him, her yellow eyes are even twinkling through the pictures. Leaning the photo towards Oliver, so that he can have a better view.

Oliver felt like he could talk to Cooper for hours. Which was rare for him, usually people made him feel drained and a few minutes talking felt like hours. He watched the way the other's smile changed when he talked about his cat, the other could tell he loved his cat. "She sounds adorable!" he paused when he said he had pictures,"You have pictures!? Ooooh now you're obligated to show me!" He laughed joking as he scooted a bit closer to see the other eager to see the pictures. He was surprised to see they were actual printed off pictures but he stopped focusing on that when he saw her. "Oh. My. God. She's adorable! Her eyes are so yellow! Like little gems," he was immediately in love with the cat and he had never met her. He did that alot when he saw cats he thought were cute. "How long have you her?"

Cooper smiles as Oliver gushes over the cat, she was adorable but her sassy attitude sometimes overpowered her cuteness. When the question is asked, he finds himself stiffening a little. He couldn't just admit that she was centuries older than both of them combined, rubbing his free hand over his coat to try and settle his growing nerves.

"She's twelve, in human years."

He says, keeping his face void of any emotions that could give his lie away. But in a way, it was her age. If you added three more digits.

"What about you? Any pets?"

Cooper asks, trying to divert the attention from himself.

Oliver was a sucker for cats, he probably spent way too much time online watching videos of cats. One minute he's looking up something important and then one cat video pops up and that's the end for him. Hearing her age he found he even more cute. "Awee she's an older kitty, they're always so mellow when they get older," he completely missed the other's nervousness over that question. When it turned on him to answer a question he pouted adorably. "Unfortunately no, I've always wanted a cat but this kid that lived near me I'm pretty sure was Satan," he still didn't like that guy,"When I lived in the city though I would babysit my friends cat all the time. I was sad to say goodbye."

Cooper smiles at the obvious fondness in Oliver's voice, he could definitely agree with the mellowing out of the older cat. She had been far more energetic and annoying when she was younger, and Cooper was also very much younger than. so they always grated at each other's nerves.

"I'm sure one day you'll be able to have a cat, or pet of your own."

He reassures, with the way the boy was acting or acted towards animals. It was no doubt that the animals would love him if he ever did get one, which Cooper highly doubted wouldn't happen.

Oliver would take on every stray cat if he could. Unfortunately his apartment in the city was really small and costs extra to have a cat so he didn't do more than babysit them. "I hope so, there was this shelter in the city that I had to pass by everytime I walked to or from my apartment. It was awful seeing all those kitties and I couldn't take even one home," if he could live somewhere far out with no people and just cats he would be content and happy.

Cooper contemplates quietly to himself, there was only one shelter in Warlington and most of the animals broke out before they could be properly adopted.

"That must've been very disheartening.."

He grumbles, he couldn't quite understand how the boy felt. He was constantly surrounded by animals almost every other day, so he didn't feel the strongest urge to adopt them. As long as they weren't being mistreated or neglected, he had no reason to adopt anything other than his own cat. Hee was fine just looking after them from the sidelines..

Oliver knew he could get a bit emotional when it came to animals. He was usually one to avoid confrontation and back down in fights. But when it came to animals he just couldn't help getting emotional over them. "It was...but I did talk to the staff alot! They would tell me about the people who adopted the kitties," he smiled before remembering something,"Oh, I drew a few of them!" He turned back to his bag and pulled out the sketchbook, having to flip back awhile til he got to a collection of drawings. "This is the first one I met...his name was Everest, he was a white kitty with two different colored eyes," every page was a detailed and colored drawing of a different cat. With their name and a few facts on the bottom along with the date.

Cooper's lips thin into a small line, slightly amused at the sudden spike of excitement in the boy's scent. A little relieved that they were some decent humans that Oliver communicated with, he honestly wasn't sure how the fickle mind of the human hadn't succumbed to the insanity of not having friends. Or someone to talk to. But he really wasn't a talkative or social person, so he could in some ways understand. He shuffles a little closer to get a better view of the sketchbook, his eyebrows raise in astonishment as he stares over the paper. His interest perking up at the different drawings, his eyes tracing over the detailed sketchings and variations of colors. Honestly the amount of talent drawn into the book felt like it should've been hanging up in one of those fancy art galleries his family used to drag him to.

Oliver loved animals, and especially drawing them. Pictures were nice to take too but he wasn't good at taking pictures without them becoming blurry. With drawings he felt he could really capture the animal in a way that was different than photos. "This girl was a sad one I met..."he frowned a little bit as he turned to a page with a clearly old gray tabby cat," Her name was Grace, she belonged to an old couple but when they both died none of their kids would take her. She always looked so sad in the shelter...but the lady at the shelter said a nice man that owns a bookstore adopted her so I'm happy to imagine her lying around on books all day." It was clear that the other had alot of love for animals.