The Sickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zed had to admit, he was a little embarrassed to have Layla asking if he wanted his clothes washed while he was in the bath. However, he didn't deny her that, and was soon handing her his dirty clothes. He hadn't had a change of clothing since he had left his home, and they probably smelled terrible, but it would be nice to have them clean again. Shutting the door after she left, he resumed his bath, using the small bottles of shampoo to wash his hair.

By the time she had returned his clothes, the bath was cold once more, and Zed had to get out. Pulling on his clothes after drying himself with a towel, he walked out. Now, his hair almost sparkled in the light, and his skin was all one shade of dark gray, like it was supposed to be. Seeing Layla asleep on her bed, he smiled softly before lying down on his own, staring up at the ceiling and just thinking.

Layla was sleeping a dreamless dream. That's how it's always been. The dream she had about her brother was a first for a while. The morning she woke up she was more tired then ever. But she had to stay awake so she could talk t Zedefah about what she was assigned. She wanted his opinion on it.

Getting up she went to her bag and gabbed something to eat. After she was finished eating she grabbed an outfit and towel and walked into the bathroom. Turning on the shower she undressed and stepped into the shower. Letting the water run through her hair Layla felt relieved. Washing her hair and rinsing it off she turned off the water when she was finished and dried off. She slipped into some black pants and shirt. Layla loved the color black. Along with the color red.

When she walked out of the bathroom she was still putting her slightly wet hair into a ponytail and looked up. She saw that Zed was awake and walked over to his bed. "Hey.." she began "I need to talk to you. I must have your opinion" as she said the words she spoke she also wrote them down just in case he didn't not understand. Hopefully after today she will know what to do.

While Layla was in the shower, Zed had woken up, a ray of sunlight falling through the window and directly on his eyes. Shutting the curtains, he sat down on his bed, yawning and stretching. Looking up at Layla when she walked out, he smiled before she started speaking to him. Deciphering the words as she wrote them down, he looked up at her, nodding.

Brushing back his hair, he suddenly smelled the detergent used on his clothes. It smelled lovely, like flowers and clean linen. The smell bringing a smile to his face, he had to force himself to come back to reality and not be distracted.

Sitting down and taking a deep breathe she told zed what the Mayor had asked her about relocating te Dark elves. Also writing everything down so he can practice he speaking she helped him with every word. After they finish reading what Layla wrote Zed had seemed unsure about everything.

Getting up and walking over to her bag she grabbed some sandwiches and gave one to Zed. As they ate she was waiting to hear what he had to say. She couldn't help but think that he might yell at her or something like that. Not knowing why she was so nervous Zed had finally spoke. She took a deep breathe and listened to what he had to say.

It was obvious that Zed didn't like what Layla had to say. Eventually, he said, "My people would not want to move from their home...We have nowhere to go, and we have lived there for thousands of years. The humans cannot move us like that." Of course, that was filled with grammatical mistakes and was much less refined-sounding, but that was the gist of it. He frowned.

None of it was fair! Dark elves had been living inside the nearby mountains since before humans had first come to the area. They had no right to tell them to leave. Zed knew that was what the Commandant would say if he ever heard of it. He was a prideful, stubborn man, and wouldn't want to leave for anything. Many other dark elves would be like that as well, and it could very well explode into a war. The first one any dark elf has been a part of. It was a harrowing thought, to say the least.

As Layla and Zed talked about the good and bad things that could happen Layla decided not to take the mission. She realized that Zed was right and the human \s should move instead of the elves. Getting up and telling Zedefah that she would be back soon she went o go tell the mayor she does not take the job.

As she went and told him she discussed over what she thought of the situation trying not to say anything about Zed being in the city. When she finished explaining everything Mr freemen took a deep breathe, "Miss Layla then you have sentenced all elves and humans to death." He said calmly

That statement ticked her off. A lot. "Pardon me sir but it is you who has sentenced the humans that live here to whatever death you are talking about. The elves don't come here to harm anyone i'm sure they must want some medicine. Plus, the dark evles were here first. It is us who should leave."

That must have set him off because of she said what she did the mayor stood up and began to yell. "Listen hear little girl! Those elves need to go or else we will kill them all!"

Layla was stunned. "Why the hell would you kill them?!"

"They will kill us all!"

"You don't even know them let alone met one!'

"Like you have." Mr. Freemen laugh

"I've met quite a few on my travels and they are all very nice and kind." She lied about meeting other elves but she didn't lie about the nice and kind part.

All he did was laugh "Dark elves are not kind. They are sick creatures. They need to be moved!"

"Well I'm not moving them.". Layla go up and walked out of the house.

When she was at the hotel she went up to her room and went inside. Zed was on the bed doing something she couldn't make out because she was so tired. Taking off her weapons and gear she crawled into bed and feel asleep.

Zed didn't like being alone in the hotel at all. He was terrified that someone might walk in without permission and see him. That would end up being the death of him, he knew. Once someone besides Layla saw him, it would all be over. However, he couldn't shake how stir crazy he was getting. Every moment he was in that hotel felt like a moment of torture. How he longed to go outside! But he couldn't, not with the dangers. Sure, it had only been a day since he had gone out, and he had lived inside a mountain all his life, but he hated being cooped up inside a building like this.

Just as he was considering jumping out of the window, Layla returned, to find him lying on the bed. However, she didn't greet him, nor did she seem to see him, for she simply took off her gear and went to sleep.

Furrowing his eyebrows, worried for her, he got up, and considered waking her up. Deciding that he would ask her about what had happened later, he sighed before sitting cross-legged on his bed, resting his chin on his hands as he contemplated how to relieve his boredom.

Layla was a....different...type of girl. She has so many different traits and so many things trigger different things. Yelling made her very tired. When she woke up a few hours later she saw that Zed was not in the room. She began to panic. Looking everywhere she could think she saw that the window was open. 'Oh no' Layla thought. She ran out the window with out grabbing anything with her and began to look for Zedefah. "Zedefah!!!" She yelled. She looked all over town. She then remembered the small wood they came across. She ran as fast as her legs could take her to where she thought her friend might be. When she reached her destination she found Zed under a tree. Layla fell to his side and Gave him a big hug "You scared me! I didn't know where you went or if someone took you" Tears began to flow down Layla cheeks.

Zed hugged Layla back and she soon let go of him and dried up her tears. Taking a deep breath she finally smiled again. She was so scared before. She thought she lost her friend. Layla told Zed about what had happened with the mayor and how she is now going to focus on helping him get some medicine and take it back to his people. That seemed to make Zed really happy. Both Layla Stayed outside for a while and messed around. The sun was setting and they both knew it was time to go back. Tomorrow they had a big day. And they need some shut eye. Layla took Zeds hand and together they walked back to the hotel.

Eventually, Zed couldn't take it anymore. He had to get out of the room. He left when he was certain that no one would see him leaving, and sneaked out through the window. Knowing that he wouldn't be safe inside the city, he made for the forest, and soon found himself in the same clearing that he and Layla had been in earlier.

Many hours later, Layla appeared, obviously distressed. Surprised when she embraced him, he slowly returned the hug, not liking it when she was crying. Sighing softly when she let go of him, he gently used his thumb to help her dry up her tears, softly cupping her face with one hand, kneeling in front of her. When all her tears were dry and she started speaking, he looked to her silently, simply listening to her and trying to figure out what she was saying. The last part, once he had it straight in his head, made him happy. It was nice to know that someone wanted to help him.

When they had to leave, Zed was sad until he felt Layla's hand in his. Back at the room, he smiled at her before lying on his bed, yawning and thinking of his father. He might be fine after all...

A Zed slept Layla Stayed up figuring out how to get the medicine that they needed. She thought of everything...but it wouldnt work with just her and Zedefah. She needed someone else. She need Danny. Asking him for help killed her. But she couldn't take out all the guards alone. As soon as Zed gets the medication we will run out of town and out of sight. Layla thought. Everything is very risky. But she has to try. In order to save her friend race.

She got up, wrote a note telling Zed that she would be back soon she jumped walked out of the room and went to have a little vist with Danny.

When Zed woke up, he found a note from Layla. Sighing softly as he read through it, he sat down, holding his head in his hands. It seemed she was always leaving...Frowning slightly, he forced himself to get to his feet, looking out at the balcony at the people below. He made sure that no one saw him, staying low and not making any noise.

Thinking about his father, he tried to imagine him healthy and well again. It was difficult to, and he couldn't really remember a recent time that he had seen his father smiling and without the sickness. Focusing his gaze once more, he sighed as he tried to imagine where it was Layla could be right now.

Layla soon had come across Danny who had been wondering the streets for no reason at all it appeared. She pulled him aside and the spoke in private. Before she began to explain everything she made him swear not to tell anyone about what she was about to tell him. Danny nodded his head and listen to Layla tell her story. She told him about Zed and how he was nice and sweet and fun to be around, along with the fact that he needs medicine. As well as about the job she declined. Finally she told him about her plan to get the medicine Zed needs for his people.

"I have to get Zed into the building and take the medicine that he needs. Though I have to stay outside and fight the guards. But I can't defeat them all on my own. I know for a fact I can't defeat them all. I'm only sixteen. Please. Will you help me. This will be the last time I will ever ask you for help."

Danny took a deep breathe and sighed. "You are a crazy girl...But I like your plan. I will do it. Only because you are my friend and I don't like seeing my friends get beat down. Plus...I have never seen you be so passionate about something like thing. This Zed fellow must be a pretty good Dark Elf if he has gotten you this way."

Layla rolled her eyes. "Come with me back to the Hotel. I want you to meet Zed and we leave tonight. No questions asked."

"Alright. Whatever you say L."

Layla lead Back to her hotel room and prayed that Zed didn't run off again. She smiled at the thought of how much fun they had yesterday. Wishing she could go back in time to stay in that moment forever she just took the memory and didn't drop her smile for the longest time.

As Zed waited, boredom struck again. What was worse was that he could hear the people outside going about their lives while he was stuck in a cramped room that he had been forced to remain in for days. It wasn't fair! Layla could go out and explore and enjoy herself while he was trapped and forced to remain indoors, all because of lies told to the people that he was going to get them devastatingly sick! It didn't matter that he had gone out yesterday; he wanted to go outside now! Feeling like punching through the walls as he struggled to remain calm, he forced himself to sit on his bed and silently focus on other things.

When Layla returned, he was writing listlessly to himself on the paper she had been using to teach him the Common Tongue. Smiling up at her, his anger subsided, he said, "Good..." He glanced outside to ascertain the time of day. "...afternoon?" His smile faded slightly when he saw the other person coming in behind her. "Who is...?" he asked, gesturing towards the male. He didn't want to say 'that' because if it was translated into the language of dark elves, it would be percieved as terribly rude, and he wasn't sure that it would be the same here, so he trailed off into silence.

When Layla got to her room she found Zed on his bed practicing his common. She introduced Danny and explained as simple as possible as why he was with her. "After we get the medicine, we will get you home." Layla said smiling. After She was done explaining Zed seemed to be happy and excited yet uneasy about Danny. "Oh and Danny you will be sleeping on the floor if you would like to sleep." Layla told Danny and smiled. He might be a friend but he was that good of a friend. She never really had any true friends. But now that she had met Zed she did. Zed was her true friend. And Layla hoped that Zed liked her as a friend too.

After all of them discussing the plan for the night Layla and Zed did more practice with his Common. Danny on the other hand decided to take a nap. Instead of the floor like he was told he took Layla's bed. When the clock reached eleven o'clock all of them left to go get the medicine that Zed needed. When they reached their destination Layla saw all the guards and smiled. "This is going to be fun" She whispered.

Zed was silent as Layla introduced Danny, wary of him. He wasn't sure what he would do, whether he was like the other citizens of the city. All in all, he decided that he must believe in Layla's judgement. She had known Danny, after all. If she didn't think he could help, then she wouldn't have brought him here. Besides, he was going to help get the medicine for his father, so he couldn't be all that bad.

Once at their destination, Zed didn't share Layla's excitement. He saw the guards and he saw people who would shun him and force him from their city just because of his race. If any of them saw him, their whole plan would fail. Wishing he had brought a jacket that had a hood, he adjusted his collar so that at least some of his face was covered. "Ready?" he asked, running a nervous hand through his hair.

Layla and Danny nodded at the same when Zed asked them if they were ready. She Waited for the right moment to leap out and start the attack. Looking at Danny she signaled for him to go. She was right behind him. They started to attack every guard they could see. Left and right she would turn to fight another guard. The thrill Layla got when she was in a fight was amazing. She loved it. She fought and fought. Big guards small guards. Layla was enjoying herself a lot. She just hoped that no more would show up. She could handle as many as 20 people but if more showed up she wouldn't have a chance and neither would Danny.

When they took most of the guards out L signaled Zed to go inside. He did as he was told to and he made it in. She sighed in relif that no one saw him and continued fighting. "Danny! I'm going inside with Zed! I want to make sure he is safe instead of hurt." Layla yelled.

"Fine whatever! Just don't let them take you down!" Danny replied

"When have you ever seen someone take me down!?" Layla yelled. Danny laughed and layla ran after Zed.

The initial fight was way too chaotic for Zed. For a moment, he had considered ducking into a back alley and leaving them. However, one look at Layla, and his resolve hardened, so he followed Layla down, feeling rather panicky as soon as he was among the fighting. He had never had any formal fighting training, and being in a fight this big made him feel scared and panicked. Through the whole time, he was mostly trying to avoid getting hit by anyone, and soon calls of, "A dark elf, inside the city!" rang out.

Thankfully, he didn't have to be in the fight for long, and was running inside the building. Most of the doors were labeled, and he was pausing at each one, trying to read what they said. When Layla caught up to him, he smiled. "Where is the medicine?" he asked, before feeling immensely proud of himself. That had been one of the few sentences he could say properly, and he was glad that he hadn't stumbled over the words or had to think of which words went where. Smiling at her, he asked, "Where is...Danny...?"

"Danny is back there covering for us while we grab the medicine." Layla replied. As they quickly search through the rooms they finally found the room where they kept the medicine. Grabbing all they can of what they thought was the right stuff they needed. About fifteen minutes had past and they decided that they grabbed enough medicine and they need to go. Standing up and turning around they began to walk out. There was a loud pound on the door and yelling. Rolling her eyes she pushed Zed back into the shadows and took her fighting stance. When they door opened about seven gaurds came in. She laughed because they thought they could bring her down. She may be young but she could take down these guys.

She began to fight but as she was fighting she remembered that Danny was out there fighting. He must have either gotten knocked down or didn't see these guys come in. As she fought she turned to see how Zed was doing. He looked scared. She felt terrible. Finishing the last of the remaining guards she took Zeds hand and led him out of the building. When they got out they saw that all the guards were taken down. Danny was the only one standing. "Danny lets go!" Layla yelled. Danny nodded and all three of them Started to run "Zed." She smiled. "Lead they way back to your home".

As Layla fought the guards, Zed stood in the shadows, fearfully watching as he clutched his bag of medicine close to him, not wanting someone to take it away or for the medicine to break. Everything was happening too quickly and he couldn't follow any of it, and was instead cowering in the corner, not knowing what he would do if one of the guards attacked him.

Rreopening his eyes when he felt Layla grab his hand, he let her lead him out of the building before running with her and Danny, jumping when she said his name before returning her smile. "This way," he said, leading them towards the edges of the city. In the distance, the great mountains the Zed's people lived in loomed, the moon peeking over them. Stopping when he could run no longer, he gasped, "Will take...one and a half days...to get...there..." Bending over, he took in deep breaths, deciding that learning how to run better like Layla and Danny would be better.

We all stop for a rest and to regain our energy. Layla says her thanks to Danny for all his help. "I'll do anything for a close friend" He replied. Walking over to zed and sitting down next to him she smiled. "You did a good job too." She told him. Layla gave Zed a big hug and laid down and look at the night sky and stars. She thought about her parents and brother. She wished to see them again. Wondering if they would be proud of her. She sat up and when she started to have flashbacks to the day they died. Sitting up and whipping away the tears as fast as the came she looked at her to friends and smiled once more. She loved them both. They both were such amazing friends to have. She was going to be sad when she has to leave Zed. Pushing away all the sad thoughts she thought of more happy things. Danny and Layla talked about their missions they have been on and they're funny stories and after that she and Zed had more practice with his common. Layla was having a good time. She wanted to stay in this moment forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.