The Serenity of Niko Shinjumaya[Icicle//RiniPinja]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Icicle

Original poster
The heavy breathing and splashing of puddles resounded through the empty city street as a boy sprinted along the sidewalk, a look of terror across his face. He was wearing a black hoodie, with the hood pulled over his head, and was wearing a wireless headset, which was set to its noise-cancelling setting. The boy was wearing cargo shorts, but all of his pockets were empty, and in his hand was a short, stout metal pipe with a spattering of wet, red material on it.

The boy hastily pulled his left sleeve up, still looking around, then quickly peeked down as he ran. "There's no way," he gasped. 1759 hours. "I'll never make it!"

As he turned a corner, he noticed that the street up ahead was busy. "WHAT?" he gasped, fear and shock filling his chest, "HOW?"

Before his very eyes, the city had…! The boy continued running, speeding up in his shock. "No, I can't stop! I have to..." he gasped, then he turned the corner, looking behind himself to make sure he wasn't followed, and immediately continued sprinting forwards.

He noticed a blonde-looking girl right in front of himself and pulled his pipe back, raising his off-hand up to try to gently get her out of the way, being unable to change his trajectory, having noticed her so late. His expression of fear was still on his face as he passed by her, but he was too focused and out of breath to speak or apologize. He merely thought the words, "I have to run faster or I'll never get back to my home in time!" as he brushed past the girl, then immediately sped up, swinging his arms faster to balance his more aggressive pace. [Note: She hears a few words of his thoughts as he passes by]

The boy ran down the street until he reached the cross signal, then turned the corner and continued sprinting once more. There were more pedestrians, but he was now paying more attention to them, having found out the hard way that they were worth avoiding. He continued sprinting along, hoping that he would be fast enough. After a few feet, he checked his watch again..."1759"

-The Next Day-

The boy woke up in a small room and looked around in surprise, slowly getting up as he did so. After a few seconds, he started to look around, remembering that he had to search for the charger for his headphones.

After unearthing a few books, scattered clothes, and empty backpacks, the boy finally found his charger. He plugged it into the wall, but thoroughly searched the room for other people before taking his headset off again. "All clear," he commented, turning his headphones off. Immediately, he was assaulted with the sound of pounding on his door and loud, honking noises from outside. "S-Sorry, just a second!" he shouted, rushing over to plug his headset into the charger.

After a few lectures from his landlady and a final, "I'll give you TEN MINUTES to GET OUT before I CALL THE POLICE!", the boy left the hallway outside his room and quickly rushed back in, locking the door behind him due to the terror which was the lady. He looked through the room for important things, like snacks, a suitable backpack, good clothes, tools, and anything else he thought he'd need.

After partially filling a suitable backpack, he shoved the charger into the pack, put his headset around his neck, wore the backpack, and ran out of the room, bypassing the landlady entirely as he ran out of the building.

Once he reached the sidewalk, he pulled a slip of paper out of his pocket. "I can't trust him…..I know I can't," the boy commented, staring intensely at the paper. He soon noticed a man standing still beside the entrance to the apartment standing along the side of the small flight of steps, as if waiting for the boy to get out of the way. Niko quickly apologized to the man before running off towards his destination.

----

By about midday, Niko tucked and rolled out of a moving vehicle as it rolled along the highway, jumping into a ditch as a few objects littered the ground around him. As soon as the noises stopped, Niko stood up and looked around to get his bearings. After double checking with his sheet of paper once more and brushing some dust off of his pants, he started walking along the street, still looking around with an expression of disbelief and terror.

It didn't take long before he saw what he was looking for - a large array of buildings off in the distance, some almost castle-like in appearance. He started to speed up, still unable to believe his eyes. "Is…is this really it? Wh-why?"

-----

He felt the weight of his backpack increasing as he walked along the pathway of the isolated village. Niko was starting to accept his new location, still feeling a bit uneasy about how confusing the new place was. After looking over at the sun, he was reminded of time, and looked at his watch to see how late it was. "1402". He frowned and looked around for any sign of life, his frown revealing more nervousness and caution than annoyance.

After a few minutes of wandering around, he noticed a small building with a similar description to that on the paper. "The last instruction," he thought, his gut telling him to turn back and escape whilst he was able. He ignored the feeling, took a deep breath, then made his way towards the building, stuffing the paper back into his pocket. "I'll never learn the truth if I don't," he thought, cautiously holding one side of his headset, just in case.

Once he reached the building, he walked in and looked around. Before he had the chance to make out the insides of the dimly lit room, a tall, Caucasian man with glasses, swept-back brown hair, and a professional smile greeted him, offering Niko welcome. Niko stared at the man for a few seconds in silence, expecting him to start am assault. The man did no such thing, instead he opened a door to a different room and encouraged Niko to join him in his office for a few minutes so that he could "Give you the rundown of Canford, your new home!"

------

Niko looked down at his watch as the headmaster started searching through a cabinet of his desk for something. "1443" Niko was barely able to keep a neutral expression, feeling unnerved at the headmaster's professionalism. He wasn't even sure that the man was human, at a few points during their talk.

"Well, if you have any other questions, ask me! This here is your alumni packet. It contains everything you need to get to your dorm and get acquainted with the campus! Remember, curfew is at midnight!"

Niko barely listened to the man's last words, eagerly grabbing the folder from his hand and running towards the door. The man chuckled in response, amused at the strange boy, assuming that the boy was just eager to find his room. In reality, Niko immediately released his inner terrified child as he left the building, sprinting as hard as he could immediately after hitting the walkway.

After reaching the hedge, having thoroughly exhausted himself during his sprint, he breathed heavily and walked around to find an opening in the hedge which leading to a slightly more people-free area. There were a few guys and girls who were reading or looking at differing devices, however Niko only needed to stand around for a few moments. He opened the folder and looked through it briefly, then pulled the map out of his folder, starting to control his breathing.

He analyzed the map, looking for the "Montacute" building, then looked around to get his bearings. After determining that he knew which building was the right one, he immediately dodged out of the way of another person and ran over to the building.

------

"Room 312……Double?" his expression shifted from confusion to suspicion, "Is someone else going to be in this room?" Once again, he paused, trying his best to reason out his situation, but once again falling short. He determined that he would give up trying to think it through, and would accept it for the time being so that he wouldn't go insane.

He tried his best to smile as he entered his room, which was at the far end of the hallway, in the corner of the building which faced the big courtyard. Niko opened the door with his key once again, but was surprised to find that the room was half filled with supplies, and the other half was empty. He double checked his paper, but determined that it said "double," despite only having one bed.

Niko hastily entered the room and closed the door behind himself, locking it immediately after so that no one would disturb him. In less than an hour, he re-assembled the room to suit his needs. The bookshelf and the desk fit perfectly along the corner of the room, providing space for the textbooks and other assorted binders in an easily accessable position next to the desk. He also placed a lamp into the empty space in the corner itself, which hung over the desk to illuminate any work he placed on it.

The bed was not bolted to the ground, so he was able to move it to the side of the room opposite to the windows. The bed was long enough that it had to be pushed against the wall in order to fit and still be able to clear the door, but Niko was fine with that. He moved around an armchair and a small nightstand in one of the far corners of the room next to a power outlet, then rested the headset on the nightstand and plugged the charger in.

After a few more changes, Niko determined that the room was fully suitable as a student. The room was rather large compared to the apartment in which he previously took residence, but he was fine with that. He almost felt…..safe. But he knew that he couldn't let his guard down, so he shut the blinds and started going through the textbooks and welcoming sheets. He had no idea what to expect in the new area, so he wanted to read through everything the generous headmaster left for him.

-The Next Day-

After looking through the papers once again, Niko shoved his first three textbooks into his backpack, as well as his welcoming folder and a few notepads and pencils. He shoved his room key into his pocket, wore his fully-charged headset around his neck, and left his dorm room, venturing onwards to his first class.

After entering the building which he assumed was designated for maths, he searched for the correct lecture hall, passing by groups of students and ignoring various people as they attempted to greet him. He had to rush up a set of stairs and over to the other side of the building before he finally reached the room he wanted. With a reluctant push, Niko entered the room, his face dripping with renewed nervous anticipation and fear.

After walking into the room, the tall, male professor greeted Niko and commented, "Oh, hello, Niko is it? Welcome to Calculus BC!" The boy looked around the room to find that plenty of students were already there, most of whom were writing on sheets of paper. "Did you move in all right? How did you sleep?" the professor continued, lowering his voice as he walked over to Niko, attempting to be friendly.

Niko backed away a step or two as the professor approached, slightly unnerved by his bulky figure, but nonetheless answered, "I-I was fine," with a look of confusion, as if the teacher's question was unexpected. The professor instantly noticed the boy's look and said, "Well, I'm very glad that you've joined my class! Feel free to ask me anything, that's what I'm here for! Until then, find a seat wherever you'd like and pull out some paper. We're warming up with a set of challenge problems today."

Niko nodded, then wandered over to an isolated seat which was a few seats away from the nearest person. He then took out his calculus textbook, two sheets of paper, and a pencil and began to write on the paper, noting each question in an organized and clear manner.

After a minute, he looked up at the people around him, mostly at their faces, then looked back down at his paper and continued to write, this time writing a bit faster and slightly more sloppily. Every now and then, he would pause to look back up at a few other people, then would immediately resume his scribbling.

Within five minutes, Niko completed all of the problems and looked around once more. He got the feeling that someone was watching him, but ignored it, suspecting that it was the professor.

Class then continued with a few of the students raising their hands to answer the questions from the textbook one-by-one. Niko gave the answer to the last question, "Two hundred fifty six times Pi divided by the cosine of thirty times u." The professor nodded at the boy after he answered the question, signifying that his answer was correct, then a few other students started asking the teacher to work out the problem on the board.

The professor taught a lesson about some maths concept after finishing the warm up, then gave the class a warning about an upcoming test. Once the period was finally over, Niko crumpled up the paper which held his work on it and waited for everyone else to leave. He watched the door, almost angry at it for being small enough to allow the Calculus class to bunch up and be unable to move through it. He didn't look anyone at the face as he waited, purposefully looking at his crumpled piece of paper as he sat at his desk. The professor left the classroom along with the large group of students, talking to one of them as he went.

A few seconds after he felt that the crowd let up, Niko rose from his seat, shoved the crumpled paper into his pocket, threw his backpack over his shoulder, and started making his way to the door.

~Sunday: December 14th~
Serenity hurried out towards the window. She had forgotten how cold it would get, and with the rain going on outside, she hoped it wouldn't snow as well. She wasn't dressed for something like that to happen, yet!

As she look through the window, her eyes quickly glittered with relief, Oh look, the rain's finally stopped! At first, she had to squint a little, as the rain droplets were quite hard to see in the middle of the night – but she came to the conclusion once she realized there were no baby splashes in the puddles. Also, no random flurries of white, so that indicated no snow. How lucky!

She tugged on her jacket a little, getting ready to embrace the cool night's air. "Goodbye, Reni!" One of the customers she knew called from inside. She glanced over her shoulder, and gave them a brilliant smile. "See-ya next week, Sarah!"

As per usual in the large city, the night life was filled with busy people driving down the roads. Serenity often tried to peek through their dark windows as she strolled down the sidewalk. If she was capable of seeing the people in the car, she would often imagine a reason on why they would be out so late.

That woman seems rather distressed… and her hair's a mess… I bet she ran out of some midnight coffee. Serenity thought with a little bit of amusement. She laughed quietly to herself, imagining the situation; she knew that she was certainly jumping into some strange conclusions as she played her game, but nevertheless, she continued her little fun. The game never hurt anybody after all!

When a green van came rushing down, she saw a family! I bet they're going to -

Her thoughts were instantly interrupted with someone else's words: "run faster…. Never get back… in time!" Their yells pierced through her ear drums and she winced visibly. But, before she was able to pinpoint the screaming, she felt someone's hands on her arm. The world instantly rushed around her as she tumbled backwards. Her body landed on the floor in a loud THUD, and her eyes widen as adrenaline and pain shot up through her body. She let out a loud yelped, "HEY!", and looked up. She tried to see the perpetrator that yelled out strange words, and she succeeded in seeing a boy – man? – running away.

As she tried to ignore her pain, she stared at the boy, trying to quickly take down as many details as she can. Her mind whirled: Was he crazy? He's wearing such little clothing for the weather! Does he not feel cold, wasn't he going to get sick? But her mind stopped spiraling out of control after she noticed something in his hands.

A metal pipe.

And was that… BLOOD on there?!

She truly hoped it was just paint. She couldn't really see it clearly in the dark anyways, despite the lamp light that shone down on the sidewalks. And besides, it was all a blur as he ran off. She could have just imagined the color of the pipe.

Perhaps the boy was just a construction worker. Or, he could possibly be a thief who robbed a construction site… And his only reward for his illegal deeds was that metal pipe. What a sucky thief… Yeah… That's it, he was just an idiotic thief.

Serenity took some time to convince herself of this, before she finally stood up. When she did stand up, she realized something worse than her sore buttocks. Her pants were soaked to the brim! She looked down and noticed she had landed in one of the puddles; she instantly groaned in disgust. With a deep breath, she then tried to waddle her way back home (feeling rather duck-like as she did so). She body constantly exploded in a violet cases of shivering every time the merciless night wind brushed lightly against her skin.

~Monday: December 15~
A boy ran down the street. Serenity saw him as he quickly rushed towards her, but she couldn't move. She knew that she was in his way, and she wanted to move out of said pathway, but her feet were glued to the ground. Her legs were stuck. She tried desperately to escape, but she couldn't. She. Just. Couldn't.

"RUN!" a scream erupted from the boy, and she quickly looked up back at him. His face was blurry; she couldn't see any distinct features. It didn't help that his blonde hair was covering up half of his features. But, wait. She COULD see something. His eyes! His brown eyes were large and they were filled with crazed frenzy.

"Stop! You're going to crash into me!" Serenity tried to scream at him, her hands shooting out forward, as if her strength alone was enough to stop the insanity. But the boy didn't stop, instead, he raised his hands. And the bloody red pipe went down on her…

Serenity's eyes flew open and her breath quicken to the point where she felt her heart threatening to jump out and run away. She stared at the blank ceiling above her, and her hands reached out to touch her chest briefly. It was a dream, just a strange dream. What was he saying? He was also yelling something when they met... What was happening again?

Right, the boy… That thief… He was trying to… She couldn't remember. Just like that, it seemed as if the dream had dissipated into the wind. As her body came to realize that she was safe in her room, she felt it calm down; her breathing slowed to a more comfortable rate, and her heart settled down and ceased its run-away threats.

She frowned, sitting up. Serenity was determined to remember her dream. She dreamt something about the boy… She tried hard to remember, but she just couldn't. Like how I couldn't- and the thought was lost once again.

She sighed and plopped back down onto the bed. All she could remember were brown eyes and bleached blonde hair. But she couldn't remember what he did, or even what she did. She decided to give up, and her eyes closed once again. She tried to desperately toss the thought of the red pipe out of her mind.

~Evening~
Serenity loved her school. She really did. Although she misses her family all the time, the school was pretty awesome. The buildings were fascinating, and there was always somewhere to go to have a good time. But her absolute favorite building of all time? Hands down, the Music Building.

"Hey, Reni! Are you here to practice again?" One of her best friends asked, coming over giving her a slight smile. Serenity looked up at her rather tall friend, "Of course, Kammy, I'm always here on Monday evenings." She then proceeded to stick her tongue out at her playfully, "As if you didn't know that!"

Kamoku brushed a little bit of dyed-purple hair out of her face, but was quite unsuccessful as the hair just fell right back to its original place. Strangely enough, though, it didn't seem to bother her one bit. Instead, she continued talking as if nothing happened, "Do you mind if I join in with you then? I need to practice my own song…"

Serenity couldn't help stare at her friend. Some of her hair fell over her green eyes… Just like that one boy… She quickly shook her head, wanting her mind to stop getting side track by a deranged boy she bumped into the street. It was Sunday night! There are always a ton of bat crazy people out and about. He was just one of them. That's it. End of discussion. If only her brain would listen to her.

"Reni? Reni!" Serenity's eyes suddenly widened and she stuttered back a response, "Y-yes! Of course, Kammy! I would love to play with you!" She then reached down and pick up her violin case. Instantly, her mind left the thoughts of crazy people, and she felt comforted and excited when she felt the weight of the violin in her hands. "Let's go play in room D!" She happily announced, walking down the hallways.

Kamoku watched as her friend instantly became her regular preppy self. There was something bothering Reni a little bit though, she could tell. But, knowing Reni, she could only wonder what that something is. Kamoku mentally let out a sigh, she hated it when her friend tried not to be bothersome – it was just bothersome that way.

~ Tuesday: December 16th~
Serenity barely made it on time. She eyed her teacher, who just looked at her with slight amusement with his own. She smiled and bowed, "Good morning, sir." She said, and he returned her greeting with his own. Despite her personal hatred for math, she actually really liked her teacher. He may look rather intimidating – with his tall and bulky figure – but he was always rather patient and kind. And the best part is, she actually understood some of math when he taught!

She made way to her seat. She was just about to reach down and grab supplies, when she heard her teacher greeting somebody by the name of 'Niko.' She looked up curiously, I don't think I've heard that name before… And she confirmed her thoughts as she heard her teacher mention something about him just moving in.

It was that boy!!! The one she met a few days ago! The one with the bloo- paint stained pipe! The thief! Her eyes were wide and kept staring at him as he flustered about. What was he doing here? He was a thief! A very idiotic thief!

And idiotic people couldn't be here! One would have to keep up a certain grade point average, after all, which was not an easy feat. So… Maybe he was an overconfident idiotic thief?!

When she saw him looking around, she immediately jerked her head away and glanced at anything that wasn't him. She might have looked quite suspicious looking, but she didn't care – her mind was too busy freaking out at the development.

Was she suppose to tell someone? Morally, she had to turn in a thief right? Even if that thief didn't exactly seem to steal anything besides a metal pipe… But… Then she would have to explain how she saw him so late at night, anyways. It was certainly past midnight when she saw him… So… She would most likely also receive some sort of punishment for that.

She sighed, why was this so difficul-

"Miss Serenity, are you not paying attention in my class?" Serenity looked up, her eyes wide. She seriously had to stop getting lost in her thoughts.

"I-I'm sorry…" She softly answered, looking at the people around her. They were all staring at her, all quite amused, and her face blushed many shades of red. She slightly sank into her seat, and she realized she didn't even know what they were doing. "What was the question?" She muttered with embarrassment. The people around her snickered slightly – her face exploded in many more shades of red. Call me 50 shades of red she thought bitterly.

The teacher sighed, "Please pay more attention," then he skipped her and continued on with his lesson.

After the lesson, for a while, Serenity couldn't think of anything besides the concept they were just taught. It was a bit difficult for her to wrap her mind around, so she had to approach the teacher to ask him several questions after the time was up. She shot him a ton of questions, but as always, he was patient with her. Serenity also felt more confident as she realized she was not the only one with the questions, as soon enough, a crowd of people surrounded them.

When another person asked the teacher a question, Serenity planned on leaving to get to her next class. She tried to duck out of the crowd, but that's when she saw the boy, Niko was it? She attempted to get a better look at him, but the crowd, with their clutches still on her, pushed her out the itsy bitsy door. "H-Hey!" She yelled lightly, but it fell on deaf ears. She hated how old the building was sometimes; its small doors and hallways was just ridiculous at times like these.

She finally struggled enough to get out of the crowd, feeling as though she fought a war, she stretched out her arms a bit. Serenity looked over at the door she just left, hopefully the boy hasn't left yet.

Before she was able to make herself go towards the door, however, her own thoughts stopped her. What was she going to ask him?

'Did you steal something last night?' - That was much too accusatory…

'I saw you last night.' – That was just creepy, she didn't want to be thought of as a stalker!

She was still deep in thought when she saw the familiar boy walk out the door. Her thoughts immediately scrambled, and she said the most intelligent thing she could think up.

"…Hi."

She was horrified, Oh yes, smooth move! she thought with quite a bit of disdain. Okay, she's going to allow herself to speak up once more, and she's going to say something intelligent, and something to address the situation of him being a thief. She's going to do it, she's actually going to succeed this time.

"Can you help me on math?" … Her eyes widen with self-horror. She was slowly committing social suicide, she just knew it.

Oh my goodness, what is WRONG with me?! I just invited a thief – possibly a murderer – to be my MATH tutor!

As Niko walked out of the door, he turned right to continue down the hall. He heard a voice behind him, but ignored it, just like he ignored the past few dozen people who greeted him. When the voice talked about math, he felt reassured as he continued walking down the hallway, assuming that the girl was talking to a teacher. His expression was still covered in nervous anticipation, of the suspicion that each and every person in the hallways was an assailant in disguise, that he was a target waiting to be hit.

After getting to the end of the hallway, he left the building and walked over to a building further down the sidewalk. He had to double check his map, pulling the folded paper out of his pocket in order to check, then put the paper back in his pocket and continued walking towards the building. This time, a group of four guys walked up to him and started talking, but Niko quickly jumped out of their way and ran towards his destination. He heard two sets of heavy footsteps behind himself as he ran, and determined that they belonged to two of the guys who tried to surround him.

"Rather aggressive…" he thought, turning a corner and briefly peeking around his shoulder to see the two men who chased after him. They were wearing athletic sweats and jackets, the kind of outfits which the people playing sports on the fields wore. Niko determined that the men were catching up to him, so he sprinted over to a flight of stairs, jumped down the first flight, landed on the guide-rail of the second flight, and slid down on the small section of cloth cushioning which was his shorts. Once he reached the bottom of the railing, he made a slight bunny hop and continued sprinting away, taking a path leading up a hill towards the building he sought. He could hear the two men trying to make their way down the stairs behind him, but it was a hopeless struggle.

Once he reached the door, he flung it open and immediately brushed past a person who expressed their surprise at his sudden entrance by jumping back. He continued moving quickly through the building until he reached a staircase, then immediately made his way up the first flight. He then walked over to the nearest single restroom and closed the door behind him, locking it for protection. He waited for a solid two minutes, but heard no indication that the men were waiting.

After leaving the room, he checked for the presence of the two men, but couldn't find them. Assuming that they gave up, he quickly walked through the hallway towards the lecture hall for "English Writing and Literature."

To his surprise, once he entered the room, he saw that the room was filled with lines of computers instead of spaced-out desks. He quickly got used to the idea and walked over to a group of empty seats in the one of the middle rows. He noticed that the teacher was too busy to notice him, which he was fine with. He quickly sat down and placed his backpack against the leg of his chair.

By the time class started, Niko was already searching through the computer to figure out what was on it. He found multiple undeleted papers, but besides that, the computer had no useful applications which did not require administrative privileges to access. He also soon figured out that the teacher did not want him to use the computer until he was told to.

Once class started, the teacher casually mentioned Niko's presence, but did not require that he introduce himself. The class was very long and drawn out, with her taking remote control of the computers in order to go through slides of a presentation on a particular topic which Niko assumed was supposed to be important. After her long lecture, she ended class by informing her students of a project which would be due the next week, and warned them about procrastination before the bell rang.

Niko eagerly left that class before most of the other people were able to get up and out of their seats, then quickly rushed down the hall, climbed down the stairs, and made his way over to a slightly larger lecture hall in the same building. Upon entering the room, he was surprised to see the number of chairs in the room. It was clearly designed to hold more than a hundred students.

Niko took a seat in the back and started reading his history textbook as he waited for class to start, but was disappointed to see that the teacher was talking rather loudly with a few other adults at the front of the class. Once class started and all of the students flew into random seats to avoid being late, the teacher introduced the two other adults as researchers of middle eastern history who would supplement his lesson on the Muslim advance into Europe.

Niko was shocked to see that the guests said many things which contradicted the textbook, and determined that one of the two was an inadequate source. He shifted the blame to the textbook, assuming that the authorities consulted more resources, but felt uncertain about learning from a source which contradicted the very learning material which was suggested by the professor. Only a few of the other students seemed to notice as Niko looked around.

By the time World History was over, Niko pretty much fell asleep at his desk, holding his backpack in his lap and closing his eyes as he waited for the other students to leave. He continued waking himself up as he heard what sounded like people approaching, but quickly stopped as he determined that it was just people walking through the door. Once again, after everyone had left, Niko rose from his seat and made his way out of the building to go to the cafeteria.

Last edited by a moderator:
When Niko walked out, he seemed to completely ignore Serenity. Her eyes widen with surprise; despite her initial awkwardness, Serenity was quite taken back by the utter rejection. Maybe he just wanted to be left alone? Or maybe, he did not like her at all...

But, then again, maybe he didn't hear her? Either case, she wanted answers to her internal turmoil! She followed him down the hallway and called out rather loudly, "Niko! I saw you last night!!!"

It was a careless mistake; she hoped this statement had grabbed his attention, but it also seemed to attach a lot of other people's attention. Last thing she needed was to be suspicious of breaking curfew rules.

It seemed like everyone suddenly stared in their direction. Serenity can feel the red blushes threatening to visit again, and she lowered her head just a tad. She then quickly grabbed onto Niko's wrist and brought him over to the side hallway - trying to get them out of the lime light.

One they were pretty much out of the sight from the makeshift paparazzi, Serenity stared at Niko. "I saw you last night when you were running," she specified, her purple eyes watching him rather carefully for every twitch that might give him away. But, she was also staring since she was curious and determined. "What were you doing?"

Serenity wanted to wait to hear him answer, but she can feel that a crowd of people were approaching. She hurriedly look back, noting that the crowd did not fit too well in the hallway. Once they passed by, if Niko was avoiding her, he's totally going to get the slip. So, Serenity clasped her hand on his shoulder and started to shake him rather lightly. "Hey! Answer!!!" She cried out a bit, trying to hurry him along, "What were you doing last night? With that... pipe?! If you don't tell me, I'll turn you in!"

Unfortunately for him, Niko anticipated the voice behind him incorrectly. He heard footsteps following far behind him, and the same voice called out his name, sending chills down his spine. "Should I run?" he thought, his brain frozen. Everyone around was now staring at either him or the girl who called out to him, whispering to one another, probably spreading rumors or commenting. The boy sped up his pace slightly, unable to run due to the congestion of people, but he was not fast enough.

Without warning, the girl rushed up beside him and captured his wrist, causing Niko to yelp in panic. He started to run forwards, but the girl compelled him to follow her, pulling him down an alley. "Is she…" he started to think, staring at the back of her head as he struggled to align himself and follow behind her. Once she stopped, he stared at her with an uncertainty and caution similar to that of a child facing a teacher with a ruler. It was clear by his expression that he doubted she was sane and/or friendly.

As she spoke, Niko's eyes widened and he took a step back, terrified of the girl. "Last night? What…I was in my…" he swallowed his heart and tried to stay calm, adrenaline shooting through is veins. "I have to go…" he mumbled, her own voice overshadowing him as he started speaking again. He stopped, staring at her like trapped prey. Was she going to do something? He waited, but she just looked over his shoulder, giving him the feeling that she was planning something.

As she clasped onto his shoulder, Niko's last urge for inaction was destroyed, and he violently pushed the girl back, the action entirely involuntary. As he did so, he yelped and closed his eyes, realizing moments later that his action might incur a fight. He quickly turned, fearing what she would do in response. He then sprinted towards the hallway even faster than before and shot around the corner, flying through the groups of people without any intention of slowing down.

After getting to the end of the hallway, sprinted out of the building and made his way towards the next building, the same look of terror on his face. He didn't bother checking the map to see where he was going, he just had to get out of the other building. He had to escape. This time, a group of four guys started trying to talk to him as he passed, but Niko quickly jumped out of their way and continued on his way. He heard two sets of heavy footsteps behind himself as he ran, and determined that they belonged to two of the guys who tried to surround him.

"How am I supposed to survive this?…" he thought, turning a corner and briefly peeking around his shoulder to see the two men who chased after him. They were wearing athletic sweats and jackets, the kind of outfits which the people playing sports on the fields wore. Niko determined that the men were catching up to him, so he sprinted over to a flight of stairs, jumped down the first flight, landed on the guide-rail of the second flight, and slid down on the small section of cloth cushioning which was his shorts. Once he reached the bottom of the railing, he made a slight bunny hop and continued sprinting away, taking a path leading up a hill towards the building he sought. He could hear the two men trying to make their way down the stairs behind him, but it was a hopeless struggle.

Once he reached the door, he flung it open and immediately brushed past a person who expressed their surprise at his sudden entrance by jumping back. He continued moving quickly through the building until he reached a staircase, then immediately made his way up the first flight. He then walked over to the nearest single restroom and closed the door behind him, locking it for protection. He finally caught his breath after a few seconds, then stared at his face in the mirror. "This was a mistake…I-I don't stand a chance here…" he thought, swallowing his heart once more, thinking back to the girl. Thinking back, he could remember her entire face tinted a slight pink, her hair just about blonde, her eyes a shade of red – the perfect demon.

He paused, then closed his eyes for a minute and reassessed his situation. "If you keep panicking like this, you'll just get even more attention," he thought, sighing, "what you need to do is calm down and control yourself. None of them have harmed you yet, just sought attention." He stared at his reflection in the mirror again, and felt noticeably calmer, although elements of nervous uncertainty remained in his eyes. "Alright, time to continue," he thought, leaving the room.

After leaving the room, he checked for the presence of the two men, but couldn't find them. Assuming that they gave up, he quickly walked through the hallway towards the lecture hall for "English Writing and Literature."

To his surprise, once he entered the room, he saw that the room was filled with lines of computers instead of spaced-out desks. He quickly got used to the idea and walked over to a group of empty seats in the one of the middle rows. He noticed that the teacher was too busy to notice him, which he was fine with. He quickly sat down and placed his backpack against the leg of his chair.

By the time class started, Niko was already searching through the computer to figure out what was on it. He found multiple undeleted papers, but besides that, the computer had no useful applications which did not require administrative privileges to access. He also soon figured out that the teacher did not want him to use the computer until he was told to.

Once class started, the teacher casually mentioned Niko's presence, but did not require that he introduce himself. The class was very long and drawn out, with her taking remote control of the computers in order to go through slides of a presentation on a particular topic which Niko assumed was supposed to be important. After her long lecture, she ended class by informing her students of a project which would be due the next week, and warned them about procrastination before the bell rang.

Niko eagerly left that class before most of the other people were able to get up and out of their seats, then quickly rushed down the hall, climbed down the stairs, and made his way over to a slightly larger lecture hall in the same building. Upon entering the room, he was surprised to see the number of chairs in the room. It was clearly designed to hold more than a hundred students.

Niko took a seat in the back and started reading his history textbook as he waited for class to start, but was disappointed to see that the teacher was talking rather loudly with a few other adults at the front of the class. Once class started and all of the students flew into random seats to avoid being late, the teacher introduced the two other adults as researchers of middle eastern history who would supplement his lesson on the Muslim advance into Europe.

Niko was shocked to see that the guests said many things which contradicted the textbook, and determined that one of the two was an inadequate source. He shifted the blame to the textbook, assuming that the authorities consulted more resources, but felt uncertain about learning from a source which contradicted the very learning material which was suggested by the professor. Only a few of the other students seemed to notice as Niko looked around.

By the time World History was over, Niko pretty much fell asleep at his desk, holding his backpack in his lap and closing his eyes as he waited for the other students to leave. He continued waking himself up as he heard what sounded like people approaching, but quickly stopped as he determined that it was just people walking through the door. Once again, after everyone had left, Niko rose from his seat and made his way out of the building to go to the cafeteria.

"Wait!!! What do you mea-" Serenity tried to grab Niko once again when he ran off, but she lost her chance as the group of students came by, rushing to get to class. After the swarm, she looked around, but saw no signs of the boy. She sighed to herself, and slumped against the wall behind her.

She ruined it, didn't she? She thought back to the events and groaned, not only was she awkward, but she probably freaked the boy out. He seemed like a shivering puppy caught in the rain! And she was the dog-catcher that tried to shove him into a corner.

And his confusion! That was her mistake, she had slipped saying "last" night instead of "that other night" or something along those lines. Her days blurred in her head and she couldn't believe it. Now the possible-thief is just super wary of her.

She decided to text her friend – she needed help on this matter. Who knows what else Serenity would screw up by herself?

~~~​
Kamoku looked down at her phone, reading the text that Serenity gave her. Mentally torturing a new student? Boy ran away from her? Kamoku sighed, Serenity can always be found attracting trouble in some way.

She reached to open a door, but to her surprise, it swung open without her touch. She moved back immediately, trying to avoid the attack by the door and by a strange boy. He ran off without a word, and she just looked at him. That was weird.

Kamoku walked through the door and saw two tired boys panting at the stair steps. Despite their athletic uniform, they look like they just had to play the hardest game in their life – stairs aren't that difficult are they? The boys were talking wildly among each other, mentioning something about how they can't believe how fast the guy was. Again, she glanced to the now-disappeared boy. A bully victim?

~~~​
Serenity dragged herself to her next class, feeling utterly depressed and defeated. How was she supposed to confront this thief now? She sat down at her usual spot in her English class – up front. She resisted the urge to start using the computer though, as she knows her teacher often gets upset about it. So she leaned back and look at her phone, hoping that Kamoku would hurry up and answer.

Like déjà vu, the teacher once again mentioned something about "Niko, the new student." Her head shot up, trying to look over the computers to find the familiar blonde-head. What? He was here too?!

She spotted him in the middle of the class, and as much as she wanted to just go up to him, she knew it was impossible in the middle of class. The teacher would kill her. So, she just settled back down on her seats, plotting her secret ambush.

Right as the teacher dismissed the class, Serenity gathered up her stuff. She stumbled slightly, her 'speed' getting the best of her, and she immediately tried to approach the strange boy. But when she got there, she noticed that he was gone… Again. Forget the comparison to a puppy, the boy was more like a mouse, with his escape antics! She sighed, admitting defeat, and just began walking to her next class.

Serenity approached a group of friends in the hallway, and they all made their way to one of their largest class. She sat among them, forgetting her previous blunders, and talked excitedly about the new movies and concerts that are coming up soon.

Usually, she can easily ignore the lectures in class. She read most of the materials the night before, so she knew most of the lessons, but with the additional professors, she found herself writing notes wildly. She has to ask her teacher about this later, as what they said is different from the books. She figured the teacher will probably back up the researchers though.

As soon as class end, she smiled and chat with her friends a little. They all made their way through the classroom, to the doors, when she spotted a familiar blonde-head. His head was laying down on the desk, probably sleeping, and she felt her heart hammer against her chest. Another chance to approach him. Should she take it?

Kamoku said that she should probably stop bothering the poor boy. But… She has to do this.

She bid her farewells to her friends quickly and slipped into the seat next to Nico. She stayed quiet for a few moments, not quite sure he was awake or not. He made these little twitches though, and she thought that maybe he was just playing pretend so people won't bother him. People like her.

She took a deep breath, and against her better judgment she finally said, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you earlier."

She stared at her twiddling hands in between her lap, trying hard to figure a way out of the mess she made. "I was just wondering what you were… running away from on Sunday night… You weren't in any ... sort of... trouble were you?" She tried to keep her voice as calm as she can, but it waver lightly at her anxiousness. Maybe she shouldn't have done this, who knows what she just dived into.

Niko nearly jumped out of his seat once he heard the girl's voice again. His head shot up and he leaned in the opposite direction of the voice holding up his backpack like a barrier. He fiddled with the table-extension of his seat in an attempt to get it out of the way so that he could get up, but he couldn't figure it out in his confusion. After his momentary response, his head shot over to look at the source of the voice - the demon girl. He leaned even further away once he recognized her, but calmed down slightly once he recognized what she was saying. In fact, his suspicion and terror shifted to caution and nervousness as she went from a terrifying beast to a shy and apologetic girl.

"She's trying to trick me..." he thought, as if warning himself against her change in personality, "I have to get out of here before she tries something again..." As she started focusing on something in her lap, he finally got the desk's table section to flip up and out of the way. Niko then rose from his seat, put his backpack on, and tried to get around the girl. Upon failing, he looked around for a method of escape and mumbled, "uhh, s-sorry about that, I didn't want to hurt you, i-if I did,...I-I mean, I was j-just in a hurry..."

After spotting another door in the reflection of the whiteboard, he intuited that he could run to the other side of the lecture hall and escape out the door, avoiding the girl altogether. Immediately after he finished stammering out a response, he cleared his throat and said, "I need to go, sorry to bother you," and immediately turned and ran towards the other door. He barely got the door to open as he slammed into it, immediately running around it and making his way out of the building, weaving through the crowds once again.

After leaving the room, he noticed a group of boys with the sport outfits on again and frowned. He bent down in a group of people to avoid eye-contact, but the group of boys seemed to notice him anyways and began to walk towards him. Giving up on his attempt to stay hidden, he sprinted out of the group, accidentally knocking a few of the people down, and sprinted down the sidewalk, making his way over to the Cafeteria building.

---

Once he was in the cafeteria, his sense of panic instantly tripled. As he looked around, he found an array of weapons in specific cubby-holes, along with trays and sheets of paper. There were people walking around with these instruments, filling plates with food and bowls with soup, and various other things. "A mass dining facility," he thought, frowning, "of course, that's how they feed all of these students," he looked around and saw other people waiting behind him, watching him impatiently, then immediately stepped towards and was stopped by a lady sitting at a counter-like station.

"Your student I.D., please?" the lady asked, holding out her hand. Niko blinked and stared at her for a second, then determined that he needed to show her the card with his picture on it in order to enter. He presented his I.D. to the lady, then she nodded and commented, "Alright, next!" Niko quickly stepped past her, walked over to the counter of trays and weapons, and collected an assortment of items. As he walked around in the cafeteria, looking around at the various food choices, he couldn't help but smile. His smile was still lined with panic and suspicion, but he felt a small hint of joy in his heart. "F-finally! Food!" he thought, walking around.

---

After some effort and many mistakes, Niko discovered that he needed to wait in the lines of people in order to reach the more popular food items. He assembled a fairly decadent meal consisting of fish fillets, chips, burger patties, pepperoni pizza, soft served frozen yogurt, and biscuits, then walked into the eating area. As he looked around, he saw a number of rows of long wooden tables with tons of chairs closely spaced, most all of which were filled with students. As he walked over to the exit of the cafeteria, the congestion of people grew smaller, and more spaced out.

He chose a seat at the end of a table on the far side of the room, a seat which was isolated well enough for him to enjoy eating his meal in peace. Of course, he eagerly dug into his food the second he sat down, enjoying every scrap. Still, every now and then, he looked around to see if anyone was watching. Occasionally, he noticed groups of people quickly turning around and continuing to talk to one another, then suspected that they were previously occupied by looking at him. This urged him to eat his food faster, but resulted in getting a brain freeze as he shoveled the frozen, sugary goodness into his mouth. Fairly soon, he had to stop and warm up the roof of his mouth with his thumb to prevent the pain from growing even stronger.

---

Once he finished with his lunch, he placed the tray on a rotating array of metal stands, noticing that other students did the same thing, and then rushed towards the door. He nearly bumped into someone who carried a tray of food, but carefully made his way around her, not wanting to cause her to spill her delicious food.

He quickly exited the cafeteria and immediately consulted is schedule after walking around the corner of the building. "4th period - stringed instrument." Niko then looked at his map, looked around to get his bearings, and frowned. "That's a long distance to run," he thought, frowning. It was a straight shot across a pathway to get to the music school, but there were already small groups of people on the path who would get in his way. Niko put his papers back into his backpack, then started to walk quickly along the path, hoping that he wouldn't encounter anyone on his way to the Music school.

---

Once he reached the building indicated by the map, he quickly entered the building and made his way down the hall. "It says to go into the Orchestral Assembly Hall," he mumbled, looking around for any indication of the room described on the schedule. He ended up wandering around for a few minutes, but eventually found the large pair of double doors with the given indicator inscribed on the panel to the left. He opened the two doors and walked inside to see a large room with chairs assembled in a sort of arc.

"Welcome!" a rather amiable-looking and moderately pudgy man at the front exclaimed, directing his attention to the student at the doorway, "You're the first here, so why don't...OH! You're Niko, aren't you?" Niko nodded to the man, walking into the room to avoid being ambushed at the doorway as he forced his expression to appear more friendly, "I need to hear you play a bit before class so that I can determine which section to put you into. You can play any of the tunes you already know. I put the violin your parents ordered in the cubby with your name over in the back. Just look to your left."

Niko followed the man's instructions and looked left to see a wall with small holes in it, each of which had a small section of a black box of some sort sticking out. There were various much larger black boxes on the wall with interesting shapes, but Niko ignored them in order to quickly accomplish the goal which the man asked of him. Once he found the cubby with "Niko" written on it, he pulled out a black box and carried it over to the man who asked for it. "Good, I'll give you a minute to get ready."

Niko stared at the box for a moment, unsure of what to do, but quickly determined that opening it was a necessity. Upon raising the lid of the box, he noticed a few people starting to enter the room, and hurried up slightly. Niko looked over at the pudgy man to see that he was still sitting at his desk, eagerly looking over a sheet of paper with small dots and lines on it.

The boy took a minute to figure out what to do, but eventually got the instrument out of the box along with one of the bows which was placed in an indent of the lid. He tested the instrument by placing it in the fold of his neck and playing each string, but determined that it was out of tune and quickly tuned it, rotating the knobs on the bridge with relative proficiency. Once it was tuned, he held the instrument and bow by his sides and looked over to the teacher, as if awaiting him to tell him to start.

The teacher noticed this after a few seconds and looked around to see other students eagerly preparing their own instruments. "You can start whenever you're ready, Niko. The rest of you, please be quiet until Niko is done." He then looked at the boy with a friendly smile and rested his head against his arm, which was planted on his desk.

Niko placed the instrument in the crook of his neck once more, then began to play hard, heavily stressed notes, building up a harsh-sounding tune as he steadily sped up, his fingers flying across the stock of the instrument. He smiled briefly as he played, but focus took over after a few seconds as the piece got faster and faster. After a certain point, he began playing a quickly alternating tune, his bow hand flying up and down as he switched between strings. After about a minute, the piece quickly, but gradually slowed down, using more legato notes as he transitioned to a different dynamic. Soon after switching dynamics, the tune started speeding up again, ending off with three especially loud, harmonic chords.

Niko then lowered his instrument again as the man started to applaud. "That was quite remarkable! I don't think I have ever heard that tune before, do you know it's name?" Niko blushed slightly as the other students in the class applauded, feeling as if he was showing off too much, then commented, "I never name my tunes. It restricts how you view them." The man apparently thought that this was a very nice response, then commented, "very nice! You certainly hold up to the praise put forth on your application. I'm going to put you in the advanced strings section, so you can take a seat right there."

The man pointed to a seat in the second row three seats in from the end. Niko nodded and walked over to his seat, then sat down and waited for the class to begin, staring at his instrument. A few students walked up to praise him for his performance, but he barely responded, if at all. His nervousness only grew with each new person, his uncertainty consistently mounting as they all asked for his name. "It's Niko," "Niko," "Niko," he repeated, unwilling to make eye contact after a certain point. He didn't even look up as people started to sit around him.

Once class started, he looked up at the man at the desk, and was surprised to see that he didn't do anything. After a good five minutes, he walked over to a music stand which all of the chairs seemed to point to and started to talk about an upcoming Christmas performance. Niko listened to the man until he instructed the class to get out their music. Niko didn't have any music, so he looked to the person next to him to see if he or she had his or her music.

In the corner of her eyes, Serenity can see that Niko was trying to find a way to escape like a trapped rabbit. She mentally sighed, there she was again, striking fear into every boy's hearts. Whoo-pee-doo. In fact, her plan to try to not seem so scary seemed to have completely backfire. He was even MORE suspicious of her now than ever. "No! That's not what I meant, I wasn't hurt, I was just worri-"

And he ran off, muttering an apology. She stood up quickly and planned on following, but then she stopped herself. She didn't want to scare him even FURTHER. She sighed, and slumped down onto her seat. I suppose I can just let him go… Whatever he's done… Maybe I should just look through the news to see if anything bad happened in that area… She thought to herself, slowly bringing up her own spirits. Right! And if it something bad, I can just report him! She nod to herself, standing up.

Now… For lunch. She smiled happily, knowing she had some nice fruits in her bag ready for consumption.

~~~​
Serenity was sitting in the middle of the cafeteria, waiting for Kamoku to come by. Usually, although she had some other friends who ate there also, she generally just wanted to eat with Kammy. They were best friends after all. When Kammy came by, Serenity perked up, "You're late! We don't have time to-" but then she saw that Kammy was frowning in thought and slight annoyance. "What's wrong, Kammy?"

"I keep seeing this guy run around." Kamoku sat down, her tray filled with candy, cake, and other various sweets. "I think he's being bullied." She began to eat a strawberry muffin, her mind still seemed deep in thought.

"Really? Where?"

"He almost ran into me… again." She emphasized, motioning towards the door. "I'm not quite sure who is though. I'll point him out to you if I see him again." After Kamoku said those words, Serenity stood up, knowing that she had to start to walk to her class soon before she's late. It was a long distance after all. "Alright, or you can take a picture!" She motioned to her phone.

Kamoku nodded and then look up at Reni, "And you," her voice was stern, "stop bothering the new boy. He's probably afraid because it's his first day." Serenity sighed and nodded, "yes ma'am," she answered.

She didn't have any plans on bothering him again after all…

~~~​
Serenity was getting her own violin ready. She took it gently out of the white case her brother gave her, and lifted it up to rest between her shoulder and chin. The feel of it against her skin felt nice, and she felt her worries disappearing as she began to play some warm up notes. She paused for a little to study the music sheets in front of her. Suddenly, some beautiful music began to fill the room. She blinked, not recognizing the song, or who was most likely to play it. There weren't many violin players, and she knew each of their distinct style in her class. So… who was it?

It was him. HIM. Of ALL people. Her eyes were wide and she mentally thought out her schedule. She's seen him in 4 classes now… 4 out of her 7 classes. That's… How is that possible? Although, such a coincidence wasn't impossible, the likelihood of it happening was just… Phenomenal.

And then the teacher pointed Niko out to sit next to her. HER. Of all people. She hated the pattern she was seeing. When he sat down, she lowered her head and bit her lip. She didn't want him to see her, and she didn't want to draw attention to herself. I shouldn't say anything. I'm not saying anything. He'll run away. I'm not saying anything!!! Her determination was set.

The people around them kept talking about him, which she didn't blame them. His playing was just… so... amazing. Whatever piece he played, she certainly wanted to learn it, and possibly add her own twist to it. But, he claimed it had no title, and… It wasn't as if she could ask him for the music sheet if he was so scared of her.

And then… Quite unexpectedly, he turned to see if he could see her music sheets. Her face instantly flew up, showing him who she was and she stammered, "Y-You're asking… ME?!"

After the moment of shock (and the stares of her teacher) she stumbled and gathered up her music sheets. She always had extras – her teacher likes to see clean music sheets, but she always liked to mark on them – and she handed it to him. "W-we're going to be playing Wish You a Merry Christmas, Rudolph, Jingle Bells, and Silent Night." She rushed in her speech.

She then turned to her music stand again, at the teacher's advice, and began to practice the parts she was assigned. She tried to avoid eye contact with him for the rest of the class, trying to keep Kamoku's advice in mind.

After class ended, she waited a bit off to the side. She was trying to find out the news on her phone, really curious to see what the boy possibly could have done on that Sunday night. But, when she turned up unsuccessfully, she quickly placed her violin up and walked over to her next class – one she shared with Kamoku.

She sat down in her usual seat on the second row to the far right. It was a small class, so she could easily look around, but she was mainly looking to make sure Kamoku wasn't here before her. When Kamoku arrived, Serenity immediately hugged her.

"What's wrong?" Her friend asked her, with worry. "He's - this Niko guy - in my MUSIC class, Kammy! And he sits NEXT to me! I'm going to be torturing the poor boy ALL year without meaning to! I don't know what to do!!!" Serenity cried out, perhaps a bit dramatically, and she laid her head down on the desk. "What am I supposed to do?!"

Kamoku sighed once again and stroked Serenity's back. She stayed quiet during class, not wanting to interrupt the strict teacher. Then, the teacher began introducing a new student - one named Niko. It was the same student she saw running away from the athletes... And she's quite sure Serenity mentioned that name before. Before the boy was allowed to sit down, Kamoku took a gamble and spoke out, rather loudly, "Hey, are you being bullied... Or are you stalking Serenity?" Her voice was harsh and her eyes lowered in a glare.

Serenity's own head shot up and she tugged on Kamoku's arm. Although she was quite shock that the boy was in this class as well... She didn't want Kamoku to raise such a commotion. "Kammy! Stop!!! He's not doing anything BAD like that! Don't be mean!" When Kamoku refused to back down, Serenity turned to look at him also. "Don't answer that! She's just being mean, I'm so sorry!"

It was....her! The girl! The demon! "She is not a demon," he convinced himself, trying his best to calm down. It wasn't helping that she was shouting so much. He had no way to hide his face, so he waited patiently, with an expression of nervousness, for the people to turn their attention back to the teacher, which happened soon thereafter. He looked over to the girl next to him, his terror clearly evident on his face, and cautiously reached over to accept the extra sheet music from her.

The class went by very quickly, as Niko greatly enjoyed playing his violin, accenting many of the longer notes with vibrato and crescendo, even while sight reading. Before he knew it, the class was over. Niko quickly gave the sheet music back to the girl, but noticed that she avoided eye-contact with him. "What...wait...she has been in..." Niko rushed over to his music case after she took the music back, set his instrument in the case, picked up his backpack, and ran out of the building. He then started running towards his next building, but as he turned around a building, he noticed a significantly larger group of jocks.

One of the jocks noticed Niko and immediately started running towards him. "Hey, dude! Let's talk! You..." The guy started out, his friends quickly following behind as he ran towards Niko. The boy was terrified by the sight of a burly guy yelling at him and sprinting at him, especially a guy who was followed by a large group of other burly guys, so Niko did his usual course of action. He sprinted away as fast as he could, barely getting out of the way of a few people as he went. When he looked behind himself, he noticed that the man who yelled at him was alone. Niko suspected something was up as he turned the corner and, sure enough, there were a few of the burly guys rushing towards him.

In a gut reaction, Niko jumped a short distance, turned around, and landed in a knelt position, which he then launched off of to sprint in the other direction. The maneuver was only possible due to the added friction of his shoe, as he slid a few inches before he was able to start moving back where he came from. The man who yelled at him was turning the corner as Niko sprinted by, then called, "Come on, dude! We just want to talk!" But Niko was already sprinting away by the time the jock was back around the corner.

The boy continued to run until he felt too tired to continue, then slowed down to a walk and pulled out his map. He checked his bearings once more, taking a few deep breaths to calm down, then turned around and made his way towards his destination: Psychology.

---

Niko barely made it to class in time, after his brief chase by the guys in athletic uniforms, but, in the end, he succeeded in making it to the class. This time, it was a more like the size of the calculus class she had in the morning. As he walked in, he discretely moved over to a seat in one of the middle rows, hoping that the teacher would be more concerned with the lesson and decide not to ask him to introduce himself. His hopes were dashed as the teacher asked him to stand, but Niko wasn't given the chance to speak, surprisingly. The teacher took liberty to introduce Niko to the class on his own, while Niko stood there awkwardly.

Before Niko could sit down, however, he noticed a girl shout at him from his right, and looked at her in shock and confusion. He turned to see the demon girl leaning against another girl, purple-haired, serious, and menacing. Immediately after the girl spoke, Niko was shocked to see the demon girl start defending him. He continued staring at the two as the blonde looked back at him, but ignored her question, the shock gone from his face as he stared at the purple-haired girl.

He saw a determination in her expression which he had only rarely seen before. His surprise and confusion melted from his face as he took a deep breath, instead replaced with a calm, nervous frown. "I-I don't know what you mean, I-I only just got here. I've n-never seen any of you in my life..." The teacher immediately interrupted and told Niko to sit down, and told Kammy to save her squables for after class was over.

Class was long, but Niko found plenty of the information to be extremely relevant, unlike some of the other classmates. By the time class was done, Niko was certain that he would look over the chapter the class was in again, so that he could see if he could find any more relative information. Once the bell rang, the professor declared, "Quiz next class. Bring your reading notes or you'll regret it."

Niko then immediately started to speed walk out of the class, making his way out of the building as fast as he could. He had to get all the way back to the music building, which required that he walk back through the large open area, but the athletic guys were not waiting for him this time, so Niko's walk was made in relative peace. After getting to the music hall, he sat in class, introduced himself in the standard way, sat back down, and watched the professor until class was over.

He felt that the information in the "Music History" class was dreadfully irrelevant, but tried to focus either way, occasionally looking around the somewhat large class. He noticed a few students writing sheet music instead of listening or taking notes, and even saw the demon girl and her friend, but didn't notice anything interesting enough to make him enjoy the class. By the time the class was over, Niko eagerly rushed out of the door and sprinted back to his dorm building, hoping to get away from the other people and rest as quickly as he could.

Once he reached his dorm room, he quickly locked the door behind himself, walked over to his desk, and started reading through his textbooks, thinking about the assignments he needed to complete for tomorrow in the back of his head as he read.

-----

Eventually, Niko realized that it was time for another meal, having eagerly looked at his watch a few times. He rose from his desk, leaving the textbooks open to the pages they were on, and left to go to the cafeteria, leaving his backpack in his room, but thinking ahead and grabbing his Student I.D..

-----

After getting a tray full of lunch, Niko walked into the cafeteria, and almost immediately noticed the demon girl and her friend sitting at a table closer to the exit. Niko frowned and turned around, walking in the opposite direction to find another table which was empty. After searching for a minute, he found a nice empty space which was relatively far away from the next nearest group of people and sat down to eat his food, which had even more food than he took at lunch time.

Serenity tilted her head lightly at his strange answer. Never seen any of them? But he's been running away from her day… Did he not remember her from Sunday night? Was he actually just afraid of the attention? She was confused, but she didn't have a chance to voice her questions as they were quickly shushed up by the teacher.

Kamoku, on the other hand, was seething. She was determined to grab the boy and murder him if he doesn't answer her questions right after class. How dare he cause so much trouble for her best friend anyways? And on his first day! Who does he think he is?

As soon as the teacher dismissed them (and declared something about a quiz – yuck), Kamoku immediately rushed out to follow Niko. "Wait!!!" Serenity called out, trying to stop her best friend from causing even MORE trouble. Today was such an awful day.

It took some time, but Kamoku managed to catch Niko right before they entered their next class. She grabbed his arm, and refused to let go of it. When she looked up, she noticed something strange. The next class was also another class Serenity and Kamoku had next, so she wasn't awfully worried about being late. Still, she had other priorities on her mind – like drilling the guy for answer. "Why do you have Serenity's schedule? So far, it's 6 out of 7 and that's just ridiculous and unheard of."

Serenity came up from behind Kamoku, panting heavily. Exercise is NOT her forte. She slowly reached up to place a hand tiredly on Kamoku's shoulder. "Kamoku, really, stop!"

Kamoku scoffed, and refused to move. She glance over at Serenity, and silently was urging Serenity to also ask the boy for questions she wanted answers too. Serenity sighed once more and looked at Niko; she looked rather exhausted. "I'm really sorry about this, Niko… But I really wanted to know, what were you doing Sunday night? And why are you so afraid of me? I'm not going to hurt you or anything…"

She glanced over at Kamoku, who was still silently fuming. She's not quite sure if Kamoku will keep her hands to herself…

As Niko was approaching the music building, he noticed the sound of running footsteps behind him and turned around just in time to see the determined girl again. "Wha-" he started, but was quickly interrupted by the girl and her demon accomplice. Niko tried to pull his hand out from her grasp, but couldn't. He reactively reached for his headset, but the blonde quickly tried to dissuade the determined girl, causing him to pause as he grabbed one of the speakers.

Niko wasn't the least bit surprised with the girl holding his arm refused to let go, but the urge to escape from her grew as she looked over to the demon girl. They appeared to be consorting against him mentally as he watched, communicating ideas with naught but their facial expressions. His desire to escape grew more and more, but the girl's grip only seemed to get stronger as he tried to pull his arm free of her grip.

As the blonde girl asked Niko a few questions, he frowned and turned his attention to the determined girl, looking over to the other girl every now and then as he spoke, the shock and nervousness of his expression now complimented by fear and pain. "C-could you let go? Y-you're hurting me…" Niko asked, lifting his headset onto his ears, but unsure about whether or not to turn it on.

As a tear rolled down his cheek, he murmured, "why are you chasing me? Just leave me alone…"

A few groups of other students walked by, observing the scene, but none of them appeared to desire breaking them up. A few students watched from the walkway, unsure about whether or not it was safe to walk by, but soon one of the students, a man in an athletic uniform(like that, but with black hair and smoother facial structure), rushed over and said, "What are you doing? Can't you see that you're hurting him?" as he forcefully pried them apart.

He then forced his way between Niko and the girl and held out his arms for protection, "Let him go," he commented, his expression lined with disapproval as his frown grew wider. Niko stepped back, but quickly took the opportunity to run into the music building, looking back at the guy with an expression of shock and gratitude. Once Niko was inside, the athletic guy relaxed and started walking away, barely giving the girls a second thought as he continued on his way to the athletic fields.

----

After getting to the music hall, he sat in class, introduced himself in the standard way, sat back down, and watched the professor until class was over. He purposefully avoided looking in the direction of the two girls after spotting them in the corner of his eye. "I don't know who they are, but they're definitely dangerous," he thought, a feeling similar to depression setting in as he continued listening to the teacher, "and the demon is in all of my classes."

He felt that the information in the "Music History" class was dreadfully irrelevant, but tried to focus either way, occasionally looking around the somewhat large class. He noticed a few students writing sheet music instead of listening or taking notes, a few people checking information on phones, and even a student eating a snack, but didn't notice anything interesting enough to make him enjoy the class. By the time the class was over, Niko eagerly rushed out of the door and sprinted back to his dorm building, hoping to get away from the other people and rest as quickly as he could, especially concerned that, had he gone any slower, he would be caught and strangled by the determined girl for escaping her clutches the previous time.

Once he reached his dorm room, he quickly locked the door behind himself, walked over to his desk, and started reading through his textbooks, thinking about the assignments he needed to complete for tomorrow in the back of his head as he read. He desperately wanted to go back to the music room, but he didn't want to leave the sanctity of his room until he was sure that the girls weren't waiting outside.

-----

Eventually, Niko "decided" that it was time for another meal, realizing that the odd sensation of emptiness in his stomach was hunger. He rose from his desk, leaving the textbooks open to the pages they were on, and left to go to the cafeteria. He decided that he should leave his backpack in his room, but grabbed his Student I.D. before leaving so that he'd be able to get into the cafeteria.

-----

After getting a tray full of lunch, Niko walked into the cafeteria, and almost immediately noticed the demon girl and her friend sitting at a table closer to the exit. Niko frowned, instantly feeling adrenaline rush through his body, and turned around as inconspicuously as he could, walking in the opposite direction to find another table which was empty. After searching for a minute, he found a nice empty space which was relatively far away from the next nearest group of people and sat down to eat his food. There was far more on his plate than he took at lunch time, enough that he required three plates and two bowls to fit all of the food into. He didn't bother looking around, because he knew that other students would be staring at him, so he dug in, trying to eat quickly.

Serenity freaked out when she saw him crying. Kamoku was also quite caught off guard, and when the athletic man came in between them, she let go of the boy easily. "That's not… I didn't mean to." She stammered a bit; Kamoku never meant any harm. But when Kamoku eyed the outfit of the boy… She realized she might have seen him before.

Serenity decided then and there that she should give up. She sighed and turned to face Kamoku, "Let's just go to class…" But when she looked up… Kamoku was already following the athletic boy. "Kamoku?" She called out, about to follow, but Kamoku just waved back her, motioning for her to go to class.

Kamoku went to find out what the boy could know about the strange Niko guy.

Serenity sighed and turned to go back to class. She glanced up, realizing she could see Niko from where she sat, but she decided not to bother him… She just sat there, doodling on her music sheets, and hoping her brain will somehow magically suck up all the material she was suppose to learn in that class.

~~~​
Serenity often spends her study period to practice on her violin. And then afterwards, she would often go into town to play her violin for the random folks in town… But she just didn't feel like it today. She's been branded a bully, in her mind at least, and had been humiliated several times. She just didn't have it in her heart to go into town… But, playing her violin always seemed to put her at ease, so she continued to do so.
In the middle of playing… Serenity had an idea.

~~~​
Just as she thought, Serenity knew that Niko had to come to eat at some point. He could have easily chosen other places to eat, but this was the main cafeteria of the school. He was knew, therefore, he would most likely come here. She was glad she was correct. She sat down at the table with Kamoku, who was quiet, as per usual. Serenity didn't mind the silence for once, though, she had other things in mind.

Before Niko came in, when Serenity sat down with Kamoku, she discussed her plan with her. They already asked another person to help out also, so they had everything they need to start. "I'm a little worried this would just freak him out again, though…" Serenity muttered, but Kamoku just shook her head. "It's worth a shot."

And when Niko sat down, Serenity gave the cue to the third person who knew about their plan.

Suddenly, piano music began to fill the air. Many students around Niko began to talk about what was happening, and they were discussing where they heard the song before.

"I think it's a Disney song…?"

"Umm… Toy Story! I think it came from Toy Story!"

Then, Serenity pulled out her violin and begin to play, as did Kamoku who added into the lyrics of the song. Their music combined filled the entire cafeteria, and a lot of other random people also begin to join in to the lyrics. The entire room was soon filled with laughter, silliness, and confusion. Serenity, though, looked over at Niko, she walked a little bit closer to him, but not so close to scare him off. She wanted to show that this was for him – their little peace treaty.

You've Got a Friend In Me
You've got a friend in me
When the road looks rough ahead
And you're miles and miles from your nice warm bed
You just remember what your old pal said
Boy you've got a friend in me
Yeah you've got a friend in me

You got troubles and I got 'em too
There isn't anything I wouldn't do for you
We stick together, we can see it through
'Cause you've got a friend in me

Some other folks might be a little bit smarter than I am
Bigger and stronger too
Maybe
But none of them
Will ever love you the way I do
It's me and you boy

And as the years go by
Our friendship will never die
You're gonna see it's our destiny

Serenity realized it was strange, but she still hoped Niko would get the hint. After the song, she looked at him, letting out a sigh. She still gets nervous when playing for an audience after all.

She smiled a bit, and the people around them begin to clap loudly. The piano player and Kamoku waved at them, but Serenity kept looking at Niko. "I'm really sorry about today, I am. I just hope we can be friends?" She said, her voice filled with hope.

Her last shot. This would be her last try. She just hoped she didn't screw it up.

As the athletic boy walked away, he heard footsteps behind himself and, from the quickness in pace, he assumed that it was the girl whom he "protected" the terrified boy from. "I know what you're going to ask me," he started, turning his head barely enough to ensure he was talking to the right person, then turning his head back forwards as he continued his calm pace, "I'm sorry, but I know even less than you do about that guy."

He paused for a few moments, expecting her to talk, then continued, "some of my friends in track saw him running by yesterday and were totally blown away by how fast he was. Even the captain of the track team couldn't catch him, albeit running cold." He paused again, this time for emphasis, then continued, "I got a few of my friends together this morning to see if we could get him to join an athletic club, but he ran away in terror the second I stepped towards him. We tried to corner him so that I could calm him down, but once he saw my friends in front of him, he did this weird jumping thing to turn back around and sprinted even faster! Kid's just scared, like a chinchilla. Give him some time to settle in before interrogating him, ai'ight?" He then looked over his shoulder to see if the girl was still there.

Shortly after, he continued on his way to the sports field, bidding the girl farewell[if she was still there]. He continued walking at a calm pace, but wore a troubled expression.

-----

Niko was interrupted from his meal as a chill shot across his body. He heard a piano loudly start a rift and, before he knew it, the cafeteria was ablaze with the sounds of aweful singing, clapping and laughter, almost completely overpowering the piano and violin. After looking around, he spotted the demon girl and her accomplice staring at him and playing their violins, but quickly looked back to his food, realizing what was happening, and continued eating with a blush of embarrassment. "Why? What is so special about me?" he asked himself, keeping his eyes set on his food. He looked around after a minute to see a bunch of eyes shifting between him and the demon girl, then debated leaving the room.

He looked up as he heard the demon girl's voice, his blush still quite present as his expression of horror and nervousness slowly started to fade. He understood the lyrics, but completely disbelieved them. He did, however, want her to stop, so he quietly, but desperately asked, "Why!? I just want to stay out of your way! J-Just ignore me!" He looked down at his food after speaking, his expression conflicted. He couldn't determine whether he wanted to finish the last two bowls of food or not. "If I stay, they might try something else, something even more noticeable. There's no choice!"

Niko rose from his seat and walked away from Noelle, placed his tray on the dish carosel, then rushed towards the door, barely avoiding a few people in his haste. After nearly breaking through the door, he was almost immediately stopped by the guy from earlier, who was standing right in front of the door. "I knew you'd make it," he commented, gently grabbing Niko's shoulder. Niko immediately turned and made a step, as if to run, but the boy pulled Niko back so that the boy nearly lost his balance. "Aahk- what the-" he managed to mumble before the athletic guy's voice started booming again.

"Jeezm kid, just calm down and let us talk to ya'! Sheesh! It's like we all have monster paint on with the way you're actin'." Niko brushed the person's hand off of his shoulder after regaining his balance, then paused and looked down and mumbled, "I don't want... that..." before starting to speedwalk away. The athletic guy rolled his eyes and looked to the door, noticing a few people walking out. "I slowed him down a little. Good luck." he told them, starting to walk in the other direction.

Niko ran all the way to the courtyard, making his way back to his dorm, but tripped as he was taking a shortcut through the grass. He paused on the ground for a second, as if thinking about something, then slowly rose back up and continued walking after taking a quick look around. Once he made it to the dorm rooms, he climbed the stairs up to his room, walked in, and locked the door behind him. He then continued his work, and a short time later, he went to bed.

---

At some point in the night, Niko changed into all-black clothing from his backpack, put on a ski-mask, wore his black hoodie and black gloves, took his keys, and prepared himself. He opened the window of his room and climbed out, shutting it behind himself, then jumped to ground floor on a patch of concrete, landing in a precise roll without making too much noise. Upon rising up again, he ran along the sidewalk, his feet silent as his black socks hit the ground, and he ran out, towards the road a mile away from campus.

-The Next Day-

Niko went to the cafeteria on time for breakfast, but was unusually tired. He got a bunch of meat, and was unwilling to take his black hoodie off, despite being inside with the heaters on. He sat down in an isolated area, as per usual, and started to eat...

---

Niko arrived to calculus on time, but didn't have a calculator, so he had to borrow one from the teacher. The lesson which the class learned was related to graphing, so the calculator was necessary, despite what Niko wanted to believe. By the end of class, Niko was still annoyed that he was forced to learn how to use the calculator instead of merely using a computer or graphing on paper, but supposed that it was a direct result of being in a school. He left the classroom in the same manner as the previous day, waiting for everyone to leave the class before getting up and heading for the door...

Kamoku was quiet as the athletic boy spoke. For the most part, she just watched him as he gave his explanation; her expression remained completely neutral. Finally, she gave one find nod at his final question. As he walked away, she waved slightly - thoughts of the strange boy still in her head. She speculated that he truly was just a shy boy, and just hoped that Serenity doesn't get too down at her inability to make a friend with him. But somehow, deep down, Kamoku felt that there was just something different about him.

~~~​
Serenity felt awful. Did he feel humiliated? Guilt constantly wracked through her head and with each passing minute she felt worse and worse. Kamoku just patted Serenity's back as the boy ran off as fast as he can. For a while, Serenity held her head down, despite the applause around her, she felt like a failure.

Her head shot up when she suddenly heard some sort of confrontation going on in front of the cafeteria. The athletic boy that was protecting Niko earlier was now trying to talk to him? He seemed insulted by something, but was still trying to be kind, in a way. Anyways, he didn't seem like trouble. But, just like all of Serenity's attempts, Niko ran off like a scared little mouse. She sighed and went to sit back down with the piano player and Kamoku. All of her friends spent some time trying to cheer her back up, but Serenity just smiled and played along. "I'm fine, just a little disappointed."

"Aw! Ignore him, the whole deal was awesome!"

"Yeah! And Kayne here was singing at the top of his lungs. Did you hear him? It sounded like a cat dying!"

"Oh, shut up!" The table exploded in laughter and they all began to bicker playfully. Serenity tried to join in as well, "You're tone deaf, Kayne!" but it was halfhearted on her part. She still felt down at her supposed bully-like activities.

As her friends continued to loudly bicker among themselves, Kamoku watched as the athletic guy spoke to some people after speaking with Niko. Apparently, it seemed, he was still trying to get the boy to join in on his team? Were people usually really that persistent about asking someone to join their team? Kamoku wondered if that truly was all he really wanted Niko for. He didn't seem to have any other ulterior motive... Or maybe like Serenity, he just really wanted the boy to like him as well.

~ Wednesday: December 17th​ ~
Serenity walked into class and was quite proud of herself for not being late. Kamoku didn't even have to come wake her up this time! She sat down on her usual spot, and her eyes drifted to Niko's spot. She felt half relieved that he wasn't there, but then he entered right as the class began.
She also watched as he questioned the teacher about the calculator. She laugh a bit as he argued meekly that he didn't quite need it, but the teacher was quite insistent on it. That's our teacher for you… His way or high way. He can be quite stubborn sometimes. She thought to herself, quite amused. She was tempted to go to Niko and comment on his ability to apparently graph without the use of a calculator, but she stopped herself.

Serenity sighed, knowing that she should stop herself from trying to get the Niko guy to approve of her. She also saw how he stayed behind at the end of class, perhaps waiting for everyone to go before he went also. She forced herself to be one of the first ones to leave, so he didn't have to feel cornered by her again.

~~~​
English was enjoyable. They worked on making a short story based on a prompt that the teacher wrote on the board. Although she didn't quite enjoy the book they just read, she did like the ideas behind it. So the prompt that asked questions over it was quite a breeze to do.
She was one of the first done, so she decided to eat her breakfast there in class. Usually, she'll ask the teacher, but when she held up her apple, the teacher just nodded. Serenity's been doing this so often, they stopped carrying as much. Her breakfast never consisted more of just fruits anyways. She ate her apple quite happily. And as some of her classmates begin to finish one by one, she talked to some of them about what they wrote.

~~~​
World history was how world history usually is. Boring.

~~~​
Serenity sat down in her usual spot in the cafeteria. She quietly chewed on her salad as Kamoku came over, along with some of her other friends. As her friends were talking, she looked over at Kamoku. "What are you staring at?" She asked curiously.

"The new boy."

"Why?" Serenity was quite surprised at how intrigued Kamoku is with Niko. She thought that Kamoku was only interested because the boy had bothered Serenity's mind so much the day before, but now she was certainly over it! Well, at least she was TRYING to get over it.

"I was talking to that athlete guy yesterday," Kamoku started, shifting her gaze to Serenity and away from Niko. "Apparently, he's very quick. And you mentioned in your text that you thought you saw him do something that might be illegal?" Serenity quickly nodded, surprised at the amount that Kamoku's talking. "I'm just wondering who he is. He doesn't seem… Normal." She finally finished.

"Not normal? How could he not be normal? He's just a shy guy that… well it could have all been a big misunderstanding!" Serenity loudly exclaimed. She wasn't quite sure what to think anymore. Kamoku's intuition usually tends to be quite accurate, but there were times that her mind traveled farther than it should. Was this one of those times? No… The boy was just a possible thief that was afraid of people. That's it. Perfectly normal right?

Even her thoughts sounded wrong in her head.

Kamoku just shook her head slightly, "Maybe you're right." But she didn't sound very convinced.

Niko got through English and World History class similar to the way in which he did so the previous day - bored. He managed to use a great deal of flourish in his English paper, but disliked the World History class, as his neighbors kept whispering rather loudly and distracting him. By lunch time, Niko eagerly ran to the cafeteria, starved for food.

After getting his food and sitting at a table, he felt unnerved, as if he was being watched. He started eating his food, looking around for the source of the feeling, but found too many people taking quick peeks at him. He was getting the feeling that something terrible was about to happen. He ate all of his food and brought it over to the carousel, then started to walk towards the exit, but he saw a figure through the opaque glass. This figure wasn't the same as the one he saw yesterday - it was much taller and its shadow was pitch black against the glass. "No......It can't....Be!..."

-Day 4 Event - The Disappearance of Niko Shinjumaya-

Niko immediately sprinted through the cafeteria to the other side, paying no heed to the people around him. His usual terrified face was replaced with pure, unsolicited horror. He didn't even bother looking back, he merely avoided those in front of him by any means necessary - Jumping from table to table, stepping on people's heads, anything to reach the other side of the cafeteria. The door to the exit which he previously sprinted past flung itself open and a light gust rushed in, but nothing entered the room by the time the door was closed again. He swiftly pulled his headset onto his ears as he sprinted, turning on the noise-cancelling feature as he did so and then pulling the hood of his hoodie over his head.

Once he reached the other end of the cafeteria, he briefly looked by the doorway, but saw the dark shadow against the glass once again. "DAMNIT!" he mentally shouted, going straight for the glass window. He saw the mouths of a few people move as he ran, but he couldn't hear them with the noise-cancelling feature on his headset.

In total, it took him twelve seconds to sprint from one end of the cafeteria to the other. When he jumped towards the window, he jumped with a slight forwards spin, hitting the pane with his feet and spinning laterally to avoid getting glass stuck to his hoodie. The window shattered immediately on impact, cutting parts of the exposed skin of his legs and ripping small holes in his sweater. He leaped after landing to dissipate the shock and pain from his maneuver, then immediately continued sprinting as fast as he could, straight towards a group of buildings.

Niko ran around campus for one minute following the Cafeteria incident, hiding his face from the direction of each security camera on campus as he ran around. The few students who saw him were too shocked at the sight of blood on his legs to stop him, and immediately got out of the way, shocked. After this minute, Niko sprinted into the sciences building and ran up to the top floor, then jumped into an unoccupied room. Immediately afterwards, all of the blinds in the room closed and the door locked behind him. A few students and two teachers reported seeing him enter the room, and various security cameras captured this event as well, although his face was hidden from view from all but the witnesses themselves.

For the next hour, the students and the teachers reported hearing the sounds of overhead lights breaking, tables and desks being overturned, and the sound of metal objects colliding. Neither of them heard any breathing, human voices, or indications of a fight beyond those sounds. After approximately fourty minutes, the teacher reported hearing the sound of a lock of some sort, whether being opened or closed, then the room was left in silence for the remaining fourty three minutes until faculty with a master key arrived. Immediately after opening the door, the faculty turned on the lights to find the entire room empty and in perfect order, exactly how the previous teacher left it. None of the lights were altered, they all worked precisely as they did the previous day, and the blinds were all opened to the positions they were at before the door locked. The faculty searched the room quickly for people, but found no one in the room, so he immediately closed and locked the door again and contacted the police.

For the next four hours, the science building was closed off to all personel but the police, and was thoroughly searched for evidence. The police found a few inappropriate materials within the building, but nothing illegal or in any way relevant to the situation at hand. Nonetheless, the investigators searched through the room in question with guidance from the faculty who opened it until the police re-opened the building. The room in question was securely locked and caution tape was put up around the door and against the windows to prevent intruders from entering unnoticed.

The faculty opened the door to Niko's room to search for more evidence, but only managed to find the materials which were left there by the school itself - none of Niko's own materials were there except for his notes and assignments, including his backpack. They searched the room and Niko's documents for any sign of intention or warning of this event, but it ultimately turned out fruitless, as Niko's only notes were strictly related to the material of his schoolwork.

Then the police inquired about the boy in question, asking various things to the students who met or seemed to be close to him. Their investigations proved fruitless, as they found no support for any of their conclusions. The police assigned two investigators to stake out the building that night, but the rest of them left to examine the forensic evidence, the physical evidence, and the camera recordings of that day, provided by the school for investigation purposes.

-The Next Day-

Niko was still absent from all of his courses on Thursday, but the teachers didn't bring up his name in attendance, instead skipping over it after a moment's hesitation. News broadcasts and the local newspapers occasionally brought up the story of a student from Canford Boarding School, but no conclusive information was added besides, "local police are currently investigating the disappearance of a boy from Canford Boarding School, located off of Highway i38. Little is known about this case, but our reporters have claimed that the boy seems to have vanished into thin air after locking himself in a room for an entire hour."

The police returned to the science building right after breakfast, investigated the crime scene, and left an hour later, cursing under their breath. A boy from the science building, who was friends with one of the witnesses, started a rumor that Niko was actually a ghost the entire time, and that was why everyone started to see him running around without bumping into people. A lot of people started to buy it, some more seriously than others, but the faculty suppressed the rumor when it started to become troublesome by holding a schoolwide assembly in the courtyard.

The headmaster gave a brief speech to the students about the situation, claiming that security and the punishment for breaking curfew would be increased severely, and that curfew time would be reduced to 2000 hours until Niko was safely returned to the school. He also announced that any student with information about the boy was expected to talk to Sr. Inspector Thomas Klennan, one of the inspectors who happened to be in charge of evidence collection for the case. Thomas Klennan interrupted at this point, respectfully, and informed the school that no one was to enter the physics room/crime scene for any reason under force of law. The headmaster finished off by advising that everyone continue their year as if nothing had happened, and that any further rumors about Niko would be seen as bullying and punished accordingly.

At the end of the day, the inspectors were annoyed. It was clear by their expressions that the case was impossible, but they insisted that they had enough evidence to come to a conclusion. They suggested that the school also give them all camera data from the previous twenty four hours prior to the case, and, upon receiving the material, they left the campus.

-The Next Day-

Various news broadcasts announced that an apartment complex in a city a good hour and a half away had partially burned down, only barely saved by a quick call to the fire department. The most major damage was centered on a room which was recently vacated, but the apartment owner claimed to have never seen the resident of that apartment, having set each payment over the phone with the patron's father. She was certain that no one was in the room when it caught on fire, because the patron's father asked to terminate his residency in the building a few days prior, and the room was cleared out accordingly. Police suspect that arson was involved in some way, but the investigation was ongoing as of the time of the news reports.

A newspaper local to Canford published an article on "Niko Shinji, a resident of Canford Boarding School, went missing this Tuesday at precisely 1256 hours on December 17th as he locked himself in a room and was gone when the door was opened an hour later. Police have identified various oddities related to the case, such as black, oddly bird-shaped smudges in stills from the video camera recordings which appeared to follow the boy in certain individual frames. Senior investigator Thomas Klennen has reported that all evidence points to a kidnapping episode, but no evidence has been found to support this conclusion or find a suspect as of yet. If any information about Niko Shinji is recovered, or if he is sighted, please call Thomas Klennen at his business number, 32-1004-3843."

-The Next Day-

On Saturday, the news wasn't nearly as active about the Niko Shinji case. A few other crimes were reported quite adamantly, but Niko Shinji seemed to fall off of the news quite pre-maturely. The local newspaper which covered the case the previous day had a very small article on the third page which commented briefly on Niko Shinji being found and labelled, "irrelevant" to his own case by Thomas Klennen after a series of investigative conversations with the boy and video evidence forgery. Thomas Klennen did not reveal any information beyond this, and had Niko personally escorted back to his dorm room by police officers, despite his insistence on the contrary.

An announcement was made that day that the temporary curfew and security changes were uplifted with no explanation, but the science room remained closed off.

Once niko arrived in his room at 2031 hours on December 20th, he bid the police officers a pleasant evening, shut and locked his door, and limped over to the window. He then shut the window, wincing at the pain in his arms, and fell down, falling unconscious immediately.

-The Next Day-

Niko woke up the next morning in excruciating pain, looked around, and realized what he had done. He immediately rose, threw some dirty clothes on the floor below himself, and rushed over to the bathroom. He then immediately started searching through the cupboards, leaving red smears on the glass.

---

Niko managed to show up for breakfast that morning, but only barely. He was greeted by the lunchlady in the usual fashion with his I.D. card, but she couldn't help but ask, "what's with all the clothing? Aren't you hot?" Niko shook his head gently,a dejected and sorrowful expression across his face and mumbled, "No, maam, I'm a bit sick and I want to stay warm." The lady nodded, then let him pass through. He was wearing all black clothes, from his sweater to his sweat pants to his socks - even his shoes were spray-painted black, in direct contrast to the people around him, all of whom seemed to be wearing Sunday chapel clothing. As he walked through the assembly line, he moved very robotically and almost limped everywhere. People offered him strange looks and asked him what happened, but he dismissed them, saying, "I don't want to talk about it."

Once he finally collected all of his lunch, he walked into the lunch room and looked around. After searching for a few minutes, he found the demon girl and her accomplice, but didn't look at them directly, and instead, he stood there, holding his tray for a few minutes by the entrance. He peeked over at them a few times, as if debating something, then released a held breath and walked towards them. He paused briefly in front of their table, as if contemplating what to do, then reluctantly sat down on the more empty side of the table, hoping that the seat wasn't taken. He looked over at the others, especially the determined girl, then, with an apologetic frown, he mumbled, "Sorry if I caused a ruckus last week.....a-am I interrupting something?"

He then made a motion, as if to get up, afraid that he was doing something wrong. As he did so, he winced and sat back down, then felt the back of his thigh and rolled his eyes. "Damn you..." He thought, picturing a black figure in his mind. He felt like crying suddenly, but pushed the feeling aside, remaining solemn in the hopes that the people at the table wouldn't start to pity him.

As soon as Kamoku thought said those words, it was as if Niko was out to prove Serenity wrong. Without any sort of visible initiator, the boy ran through the cafeteria. Just as the athletes said, the boy was fast, almost inhumanly fast. Not to mention, he was also quite nimble. Serenity's eyes were wide, her mind unable to truly comprehend what was happening. It was as if she was witnessing a movie scene unfold right in front of her eyes.

And suddenly, he ran straight for the window. Serenity started to scream out, "STOP, Niko! You'll-" but he did not pay attention, nor did he seem to care.

He exploded through the window.

Many of the students around them screamed, worried that they just witnessed someone commit suicide. Most of the students immediately ran forward to look out the window, to see what happened. Serenity was among one of these students, although when she thought back on it, she wondered if she truly did want to see a morbid scene. But luckily, there was none. Sort of like a ninja, he easily landed on his feet and continued on his panicked run.

No one knew what was happening, so everyone exploded in chatter.

~~~​
A police came up to Kamoku and Serenity, talking to them about Niko. "Niko?" Serenity asked curiously when one of the police officer asked her. They told her what recently happened, as Serenity was in the Music Building the entire time, in a sound proof room to practice her playing. Her eyes went large when the story was done.

"He… Disappeared from a locked room?! N-No… I don't know anything about him. I often tried to talk to him, or to get him to approve of me as a friend, but… He always seemed scared of me."

Kamoku nodded, "the sprint team had some members who tried the same." The police just nodded at their statements and gave them their numbers, in case anything else turned up. Serenity then turned to Kamoku, who looked to be deep in thought. "I was right, he is a strange guy."

"Do you think he's actually a ninja?"

Kamoku couldn't answer her question.

~Thursday: December 18th​~
All day, Serenity constantly looked over to the area where she thought Niko usually sat. She never saw him, though, and rumors began to fly on what happened.

Ghost, how ridiculous! We all saw him… She often thought to herself. But as the rumors kept circulating over and over, and the talk about the circumstances… She often find herself wavering in her firm belief…

"I held his arm." Kamoku said simply when a person asked if she thought Niko was a ghost. "He was very solid." Serenity couldn't help but laugh, and her thoughts immediately believed in their belief again. Of course he wasn't a ghost, that's just ridiculous.

Curfew time was changed, and Serenity found it harder and harder to leave during the night time. So she decided to let her evening activities be set on hold for a while, a little more studying and practicing isn't a bad idea after all.

~Friday: December 19th​~
Nobody still had any clue on where Niko was. And despite Kamoku and Serenity's thoughts about Niko being a ghost was completely outrageous, the rumors still spread like wild fire. It's unbelievable what people would believe in nowadays.

~Saturday: December 20th​~
Just as quickly as it spread, the rumors quickly died down. People were more excited on the fact that it was the weekend. Serenity also tried to file away Niko in the back of her mind as she hung out with Kamoku and some other various friends.

Sometimes, she would wonder if she should tell the police about what she saw Niko do the first day she actually saw him. But, she quickly thought that it probably wasn't the best information to give. She really doesn't think it was anything… And if it was, then they would have connected whatever crime he might have committed back to him already, right? So… It was pointless.

During their day out, one of their friend picked up a newspaper just to glance over. "Hey… Look! It says here that Niko was found!" Serenity quickly came over, dismissing her thought about telling the police any information. Now it was truly pointless. "What? Really?"

"Yeah… It says… He was labelled 'irrelevant'…? I don't know what that means." Serenity also scrunched up her noise in confusion. How was a missing person being found… not relevant to their own case?

"Whatever. At least he was found!"

And the group of friends quickly dismissed the thought from their mind and continued on their day. Serenity, on the other hand, couldn't help but constantly think about it. Irrelevant? Surely, disappearing from a locked room, and then being found again, would raise more excitement than that, right?

~Sunday: December 21st​~
Serenity was happy eating her cereal for breakfast, they finally had her favorite kind! So she was humming with mirth and joy, completely oblivious to when Niko came over to them. Kamoku, on the other hand, looked up at him, eyeing him a bit. Her thoughts were filled with suspicion for the strange ninja-like ghost boy.

When Niko spoke up, Serenity looked up at the unfamiliar voice at her table. Her eyes went wide when she saw him, and she immediately swallows whatever cereal she had in her mouth. "Niko! No! No, it's fine! You're fine!" When she saw him wince in pain, she felt a slight panic run through her body. Of course he was hurt, who knew what happened to him. "You're free to sit here anytime, Niko, really!"

"What do you want?" Kamoku asked rather bluntly, in which Serenity smacked her in the arm slightly. "Don't be so rude!" she hissed. Kamoku shrugged, not caring.

"Sorry about Kamoku, as per usual, Niko. She's strange, but she means the best. What happened to you though? Are you okay?" Then her voice lowered slightly, "Are you in any sort of trouble?" A question she asked before a few days ago – almost a week ago – but she thought she should ask again. It seemed even more important now than ever.

Niko settled into the chair again once pain stopped shooting through his leg, then looked over at 'Kamoku' as the demon girl was speaking. "She seems less....passionate about hurting me..." he thought, barely listening to the other girl's words as she spoke. He turned his attention to the demon girl around halfway through her stream of questions and stared at her blankly, forcing all of his brain capacity to think of a means by which to coherently construct sentences. His dejected and sad look returned as he thought, then he sighed and looked between the two girls as he started to speak.

"I thought I owed you two an apology,...for avoiding you.....and for...everything, really." He paused after this point, feeling embarrassed by his lack of clarity as he stared at a point on the wall between the two, then continued to talk and shift his attention between them. "I'm fine, nothing to worry about. Did you hear about what the inspector concluded about me?"

He paused after making this point, using the opportunity to eat a bit of food as other people spoke, then continued, "I bet the news would tell you more than I could. I was barely able to say two words before the inspector had me escorted back here." He then quickly paused, and looked back to Kamoku, looking discomfortable. "And, Kamoku....about the question you had the other day........I might have an answer, but you won't like it.."

They both watched Niko carefully as he slowly tried to formulate his sentences. He seemed rather depressed, but at the same time, a little determined to talk to them. Serenity felt a pang of joy as she realized that her advances were enough to allow Niko to trust them at least a little bit. Although, why he kept running away during those advances were beyond her.

"We saw the small article that said you were irrelevant to the case... whatever that means." Serenity told him as he ate a little. He then continued, mentioning the news again, and the fact that they didn't really bother to talk to him. Which is ridiculous! How could they not question him? Or... Perhaps they were letting him adjust back to normal society first? Letting him get his bearings, she suppose... And then they'll drill him for answers? She didn't know how the police work, but she's seen a few criminal shows, and she's quite sure that's not what they usually do.

"Question?" Kamoku thought for a moment, trying to think back to what she asked him. "About the schedule, or about whether or not you're stalking Serenity?" She frowned, believing those were the only two questions she had asked so far. Serenity piped in, "he's NOT stalking me!" to which Kamoku ignored.

"Well, go on." She urged.

As Kamoku repeated the questions she asked the previous day, Niko nodded, his discomfort growing with each word. He looked between Serenity and Kamoku as they spoke in turn, then commented, "I had no idea that this place existed until I arrived here. My..." he paused there momentarily, as if trying to figure out what to say, then sighed and continued, "...never mind. I bumped into Serenity," he gestured at her, his arm moving slowly and almost robotically as he did so, "while running from a stray animal, but I can't remember what kind it was..." He looked down his food as he paused, trying hard to think of the animal, but gave up after a few seconds with a horrified expression and suddenly continued, "It attacked me, then......I forgot what happened then...a few guys showed up...I just started running......"

After a few seconds, Niko stopped trying to remember, then sighed and rubbed his eyes briefly, "I-I'm really sorry, I just,....I don't know why I'm here. I can't figure it out..." He then began to eat the food on his tray, as if trying to forget what he just said. "Damn it, I screwed up again," he thought, unable to look up from his food.

"This place? Do you mean the school?" Serenity asked, not quite sure what Niko was trying to say. She also couldn't help but think of the day that he bumped into her. The blood, the pipe... Did he just hit the stray animal? She slightly winced at the thought, but knowing that he just did it out of self preservation was a comforting thought.

"We can help you!" She smiled a bit, touching his shoulder briefly. If he showed signs of discomfort though, she'll quickly withdraw her hand. "I don't quite understand what's happening... But we can still try her best!" She tried her best to comfort the distressed boy. Kamoku nodded in agreement, "You'll have to try to explain more though."

Status
Not open for further replies.