The Sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.
So you have to kill her twice, basically? Challenge accepted.
Why hello there free stat points! <3
I haven't played an outright evil character in a long time but I think I'll manage.

• Love
Reactions: Jakers
Kanade MG Outfit B.jpg
Name:
Kanade Kondou
Personality:

Kanade is normally a bright, cheerful person, and her on-stage persona is downright bubbly. Privately, she often does complain about the stress she puts herself under to always put forward a smiling facade for her fans and the burden she feels on being such a public face to the masses. In general, one can get the impression that her cute, cheery attitude is something of an act, when she's not performing. She is confident and can be downright cocky at times, and has no problem asking for favors of others with the attitude that they'll already comply. She is still dutiful and mindful of her position, it's just that keeping on top of it all is a lot of work.

The secondary persona which emerges when Kanade activates her EX mode, or at other times when she is particularly unstable, is similar to her normal one, although more domineering and sadistic (and lewd). She seems to enjoy the suffering of others much more, and is more likely to mete out harsh punishment for those who she feels deserve it. Generally, this could be considered most of her darker and suppressed desires and feelings made manifest. Despite all this she CAN still be gentle, caring, and is not inherently evil or villainous. She still means well, but her actions to achieve the same goals are vastly different. Her two personalities share memories and are essentially the same person in all respects, so it's really only her change in behavior. The second persona could be considered her Jungian shadow.

Short Biography:
Kanade is the youngest daughter of a large family before the First Sentence. The majority of her family were either Champions or very skilled in their chosen fields, whatever they may be. Her parents put her under a lot of pressure to succeed in a similar manner, and while she was upset to see them disappear, she can't complain about the freedom. Being that most of her siblings were adults, she probably has a bit of a case of survivor's guilt, as well.

As her name might imply, she is descended from the same peoples as in the Palace, although she does not owe any particular loyalty to them. She certainly does try to be generally egalitarian, and although her performances are usually slanted toward the Aesil or their ideals, she wouldn't care who her fans are.

Kanade has fragments of an unusual and magical weapon or artifact-thing embedded in her body, as a result of it exploding when she struck and shattered it on a mission. Some of her abilities may stem from these fragments, but power comes at a cost, as the shards slowly adapt to her body and feed off her own power. Over-reliance on her abilities tends to aggravate the shards' growth, which can eventually be detrimental to her health, likely in the form of crystallization of her body in some way. Aesil mages are able to treat this to some extent and keep her from deteriorating too quickly, but she does need to report in for frequent check-ups and study.

Since the end of Arc 1, she probably spends a lot of time early on playing liason between the Palace and Aesil, given her unique position sort of straddling the line between the two factions. It's probably seen as more of a strength than a liability now, so she'd leverage it for what it's worth. She'll also devote a good bit of time to teaching Aesil how to act more like a proper human being. At this point, she'd call the girl a friend, and even if it'd be difficult to get through to her, it's worth making her a little less rough around the edges.That...didn't really work out, though.

And, of course, she is still the Idol of Aesil, so she'd put on performances to keep the people's spirits up, probably with a few new songs based on recent events and the like. All are, as always, welcome to attend, should anyone wish to recognize her from such at a later date. She also famously did a stint as a waitress at one of the local fancy cafes in the First District. Famously because she kept tripping and falling, or otherwise suffering some sort of embarrassing mishap. ...And there probably is the occasional sadistic rampage, but that's...far less likely to be a major or frequent thing.

Faction: Aesil

Stats:
Might - 4
Arcane - 5
Finesse - 8
Fortitude - 8
Health - 4
Speed - 5
Perception - 3

Abilities:
Invocation of the Holy Pillar - Ar Tonelico: Kanade can channel holy magics, through the use of the angelic language, if she is to be believed. She often uses it to amplify her voice for her performances, although she can bend it to other purposes. Most notably among these, she can heal others: either slowly over time in an area around her, or for a larger amount on touching a single target. She can easily stabilize a dying person so they will not bleed out and can receive further treatment, but she cannot resurrect the dead.

Primal Word: An offensive use of Kanade's magic. She may create and fire blasts of magical energy which at their basic level will damage a single target should they connect. Alternatively, she may pour her own life into powering the attack, and instead produce a brilliant beam of energy which cuts a swathe of destruction 10 feet wide a considerable distance in front of her (opponents can, clearly, attempt to get out of the way. Generate a single attack test which every potential target opposes). Using the attack in this way causes her to take 1 Health of damage, and she may sustain it for multiple rounds at the same cost. She can use her healing magic to mitigate the strain, but she will run down her reserves even faster than usual if she's both healing the damage and sustaining the attack.

Awakening the Shadow - EX Mode: Kanade releases various mental blocks, enacting a powerful transformation. Her armor's color turns red, and the various lights and gemstones tend to visibly vent excess magical energy. In this form, she gains an increase to Might, Finesse, and Speed and her other abilities are altered and increased in overall effectiveness. However, it comes with a complete change in her personality, which persists even after the advantageous boosts fade, which occurs at the end of the fight or scene where she triggers the ability. Furthermore, while her attacks and skills are all more powerful, they also expend more energy/mana to use, and her stores do not change with her transformation, making this ability powerful and expensive, although the cost isn't paid up front.

Intentionally activating her EX mode requires Kanade to succeed at a moderate difficulty Will check (pardon the D&D terminology). Possibly, she also needs to make a Fortitude check or whatever illness seems to be affecting her worsens.

- Improves the range and overall effectiveness of her healing magic.
- Her basic Primal Word shots become small area blasts, being a bit harder to avoid, or able to damage closely packed targets. (radius probably around 5 feet at best).

Drawbacks:
Klutz: Kanade sometimes trips and falls, etc. I'll roleplay it, but if you're feeling cruel, she may need to make a finesse check to not fall over in an embarrassing manner, or break something, etc.

Emotional Resonance: Kanade's emotional state can enter a bit of a feedback loop with her own abilities, causing her emotions to drive themselves up to a fever pitch (going, from say, merely being upset to berserk anger). Just for fun, Kanade needs to make the same Will check once a day or her personality will swap anyway, with no buff or other effects. This is also how she eventually returns to her normal state, or by GM fiat. Subsequent rolls are penalized until she fails, should it be needed.

Equipment:
Discalibur - Kanade's signature personal weapon, Discalibur is a longsword with a segmented blade. As one might expect, the weapon can function either as a rigid sword, or be extended into a whip-like weapon for additional reach.

Harmobody Suit - A magitech bodysuit which acts as Kanade's personal armor. It provides some amount of protection, looks really cool, and most notably allows her to fly, although she doesn't move any faster than she could walk or run, so it's useful mostly for the vertical mobility or dealing with difficult terrain.

Normal clothes - Kanade does own a decent wardrobe of street clothes.

Last edited:
Why hello there free stat points! <3
I haven't played an outright evil character in a long time but I think I'll manage.
Hehehe, I have a feeling your character and mine are going to fight to the death at some point. Sucks to be you though, I get to become a spooky undead if I lose. Would I keep my axe? That way I can be like that executioner zombie from Resident Evil 5.

Also, DAYUM R9 that armour is badass. I envy the Aesil and their badass armour sets. Perhaps they'll teach Hal how to make his overcoat look awesome one day. For now, he looks 30% rugged, 2% stylish, and 68% tramp. Fuck yeah, fashion.

@Asuras - sorry if you've already announced it, but when will the IC begin? I'm guessing Saturday or Sunday hence the deadline, but you might need a bit longer to get everything prepared. (Which is more than understandable.)

@Asuras

Have you looked over my character once more?

Here's a (huge) list of how character's abilities will work mechanically. I'll link to this post on the front page. Note that this is just for knowledge's sake; none of you will actually be rolling any dice.

BIG LIST OF ABILITY MECHANICS

Halberd
Decimating Blow - Scales with Might
Enemies within range get lowered Speed to dodge. Hit enemies get lowered Fortitude to resist. Can hit multiple enemies in one turn. -1 Fortitude to Halberd if used twice in a row.

Unrelenting Onslaught - No scaling
Abilities and attacks that cause impairment to Halberd have reduced effectiveness. No penalties due to lost health. Frenzy stat causes +2 Speed +1 Might. Fighting good-nature characters causes -1 Might.
As well as the passive bonuses for the morality of his opponents, Halberd now gains stacks of Momentum whenever he damages an enemy, thanks to the wind runes placed onto Retribution. Stacks are gained/lost through the following conditions:
Halberd loses all stacks for damaging an ally.
Halberd loses 2 stacks for damaging a morally good enemy.
Halberd loses 1 stack when he's damaged.
Halberd gains 1 stack for damaging a neutral enemy.
Halberd gains 2 stacks for hitting a damaging evil enemy.
Halberd gains 5 stacks for executing an evil enemy with Guillotine of Justice.
Upon reaching 10 stacks of Momentum, Halberd's axe becomes Overcharged; wind blasts around his axe, granting him a +3 bonus to his Speed and Might, but a -4 penalty to his Fortitude, and a -2 penalty to his Finesse. Overcharged wears off after 3 turns.
Alternatively, Halberd can perform an axe attack/ability with double range and increased hit chance, which will instantly end Overcharged when used. Halberd's axe can't become Overcharged twice in the same battle.

Guillotine of Justice - Scales with Might
Enemies at 1 Health that are stricken by Guillotine of Justice get no chance to roll to resist, and are instantly killed. Includes Alignment effects.

Natalya Gordetz
Bloodlust - For each health point lost, Natalya can channel the point into either Might or Finesse for the duration of the turn (reoccurs each turn as long as health remains lost).
Haematic Scourge - Scales with Arcane
Ignores resistance if Natalya can contact an open wound on the enemy. Restores 1 health if successful.
Blademaster - No scaling
Natalya's daily practise with the sword has elevated her skills with a blade to a much greater level. When using any sword-based weapon, she gains +2 to Might and Finesse.

Lyssa Elspeth
Searing Light - Scales with Arcane
Affords ranged attacks, as well as creation of light weapons that grant bonus according to Might roll.
Sacred Wings - No scaling
Grants +2 Might and Speed while active. Negates usage of other abilities while active. Can be used to attack with bonus Might. Allows her to-hit attacks to scale on Might instead of Finesse.
Hallowed Ground - Scales with Arcane
Clears buffs of enemies and debuffs of allies. Enemies roll Fortitude to resist taking damage.

Galina Raske
Flash Step - Scales with Speed
Allows Galina to move to a designated point instantly. Requires enemies roll Perception to locate her new position.
Selective Gravity - No scaling
Enemies attempting to strike Galina while using different gravity effects get reduced Finesse to simulate her strange positioning. Galina gains bonus Finesse to strike enemies as well. In addition to manipulating her own gravity, Galina can now manipulate the gravity of people and inanimate objects (up to 200 kg) upon physical contact. The effect begins to weaken as soon as physical contact is broken, ending one turn after she loses contact, but if she holds onto the target the ability can last as long as her normal application.
Challenge Fate - No Scaling
Allows Galina to challenge a single roll per battle that she performed or experienced, re-rolling the event.

Aesil
Beast of Goetia - No scaling
Grants natural bonuses. At full health gets an extra +1 to Speed. Further energy storing from Endless Gluttony and Moon-Biting Fangs grants evenly-distributed points to Might and Speed. Beast of Goetia is upgraded, granting Aesil the ability to stealth as a free action in combat. If there are no hiding spots, her stealthing is instead done with half of her Finesse.
Endless Gluttony - Scales with Might
When attempting to "bite" anything, rolls Might against the stat that the object was scaled off of. Gains bonuses to stats based on consumed entities scaled stat.
Moon-Biting Fangs - Scales with Arcane
Enemies can attempt to dodge the spell cast before being implemented into Aesil's miniature area-version. Miniature still possesses variable Fortitude according to the area bitten. Biting natural objects such as buildings, non-important NPC's and the like, offer no energy or stat gains.

Kanade Kondou
Invocation of the Holy Pillar - Scales with Arcane
AoE heal gains no bonuses. Contact-heal gains +1 to Fortitude roll. Rolls against 3D10 + 1D5 per health point missing in target(s).
Primal Word - Scales with Arcane
Normal cast gains no bonuses. Extra exertion 10-foot variant gains +2 Might during rolls at the expense of 1 Health. Knocks hurt enemies off balance, giving them -2 Speed until Kanade's next turn. Does not stack.
Awakening the Shadow - No scaling
Grants +1 to Might, Finesse, Speed, and +1 to rolls involved in other spells/abilities. Chance of personality change based on Fortitude.

Aurora Marceline Spiere
Lunar Orb - Scales with Arcane
Additional bonus Might to-damage depending on the phase of the moon.
Veil of the Wispy Moon - No Scaling
Activated buff granting +2 to Might, Fortitude, and Speed for three turns.
Night-O-Sphere - Scales with Arcane
Generates a sphere of 15m in diameter around Aurora that remains in place until Aurora deactivates it or she leaves its area. Enemy abilities used inside the field fizzle and grant a charge to Night-O-Sphere. When Night-O-Sphere is released, it detonates with a power equal to Aurora's Might plus +1 per charge.

Junkiro Iwazuma
Gumminess - Scales with Might
Increased resistance to blunt force damage. Enemies attacking Junkiro must roll Might to overcome becoming stuck.
Gumshot - Scales with Might
Enemies stricken by Gumshot get reduced Might or Speed depending on the body part hit. Roll Might (-2) to overcome effect. Can create lasting trap with same effects.
Sticky Touch - Scales with Might
Junkiro can debuff directly-touched enemies with a sticky aura, bestowing his Gumminess ability on them but also reducing their Speed.

Aiden Renmor
Rift - No Scaling
Transportation. Objects human size or above cause -1 Fortitude to Aiden until next turn. Max 2 meters. 3 turn cooldown.
Dark Matter forge - No Scaling
Weapons generated grant +2 Might for attack roll. Shields allow +2 Fortitude. Objects last one turn. Unless Forge is equipped, causes -1 Fortitude to Aiden and 1 turn cooldown. Forge has 1 turn cooldown. Max 4 uses per battle.
Null - No Scaling
While inside Null Field grants +3 bonuses to generated objects instead of +2. Inside nullifies all buffs/debuffs to all present. Bypasses all Fortitude penalties normally associated with Dark Matter and Forge, but cause -3 Fortitude during setup until next turn, followed by perpetual -2 Fortitude for the duration of Null.

Kazuma Tadayoshi
Stance Change - No Scaling
Free action on turn.
Offensive Stance grants +2 Might, +1 Speed, -1 Fortitude
Defensive Stance grants +2 Fortitude to exosuit, +1 Fortitude to Kazuma himself, and - 1 Speed
Speed Stance grants +2 Speed, +1 Perception, and -1 Might
Cannons - No Scaling
1 turn to charge. Can be charged indefinitely. Adds Might to current Might score as damaging attack.
Bubble - Scales with Fortitude
Generates barrier field in area around Kazuma. Fortitude of barrier equates to half Kazuma Fortitude + suit Fortitude. Remains up until destroyed or for 3 turns.

Varanense Malx
Mortal Coils - Scales with Arcane
Separate from normal damaging rolls, Varanense's shots can inflict an exhausting debuff on the target (Arcane vs. Fortitude). For every two shots that succeed in debuffing the target, the target gets a stack of Exhaustion, which raises the Health points required to experience exhaustive effects by 1 (for example, a target with 6 total health and 1 stack of Exhaustion will get -1 to all stats at 4 health rather than 3). Exhaustion stacks do trigger successive exhaustive effects.
Ceasfire - Scales with Arcane
Varanense can fire an arrow that silences the use of one activated ability for 2 turns (does not stack, and cannot be used to silence multiple abilities at the same time).
Illusive Marksman - Scales with Arcane
Generates a virtual copy of Varanense than can be controlled as a free action the turn after activation. Illusion cannot interact with the world and can be dispelled as a free action by opponents within range. Can Extra Effort to generate the image of someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Asuras - sorry if you've already announced it, but when will the IC begin? I'm guessing Saturday or Sunday hence the deadline, but you might need a bit longer to get everything prepared. (Which is more than understandable.)

Probably Sunday. On Saturday I'll be collecting everything and making everything's all right and dandy before starting on an IC post, which will likely come on Sunday.

@Asuras

Have you looked over my character once more?

Looks fine now. Accepted.

So Asuras, is mine ok, now?

I'd like to point out (I put it in the OP already, just now), that I have every right to nerf (or buff!) player's abilities midway through the IC as I see fit. Don't be surprised if I determine that someone in practice is just too powerful.

• Useful
Reactions: Skyswimsky
Sweet, thanks, sorry for all of the faff.

@R-9 Pilot Accepted!

Also I'm instituting Achievements for this roleplay; completing them will earn your character free extra stat points.

Also, DAYUM R9 that armour is badass. I envy the Aesil and their badass armour sets. Perhaps they'll teach Hal how to make his overcoat look awesome one day. For now, he looks 30% rugged, 2% stylish, and 68% tramp. Fuck yeah, fashion.
Thanks. It's honestly pretty derivative of a few designs i like, but it's still my own art, so I appreciate the compliment. I'm sure someone can get Hal stylish before this is over. I mean, his faction's leader has a swank suit of armor, doesn't he?

The rugged hobo look kinda suits the guy, though.

Reactions: Jakers
Achievement list is up on the OP. Note that none of them describe what you actually have to do to get them; only hints as to what they may be.

Of course there will be achievements. By the way, Asuras, does Beast of Goetia still come with the mindfuck resist?

*reads NPCs again, sees stats*

My god we're noobs.

Good. Time to eat illusions.

And yeah, Azathoth, how does it feel, knowing that your characters spent all this time training, but is still fodder-trash? At least Aesil has an excuse for her noobiness. Huehuehuehue...

Good. Time to eat illusions.

And yeah, Azathoth, how does it feel, knowing that your characters spent all this time training, but is still fodder-trash? At least Aesil has an excuse for her noobiness. Huehuehuehue...
My character is going to die anyways, I'm not lucky enough to keep someone paper thin alive. It's just appalling to see she's so unbalanced and still couldn't run away from two of them.

Well, it's all about picking your battles. I'd try not to get the attention of the major faction badasses if I could avoid it, for...obvious reasons.

Well, it's all about picking your battles. I'd try not to get the attention of the major faction badasses if I could avoid it, for...obvious reasons.
I was like "Astra missing? Kaileb interested? Sounds like a plot my character will- *sees Astra's stats* - stay away from forever and ever."

Status
Not open for further replies.