The Seed of Life

Keep Brandau

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I don't find it right either," Hal said, "but there still are no laws against rudeness or injustice. Baladuri tend not to like outsiders. Sometimes they don't even like each other, hence the slavery. Working in mines is dangerous, but what we mine is our main trade. It's an unfortunate economic decision that our ruler overlooks. I do hope to take action to change that when all of this is over. I just don't know enough about business or economy to make my argument. Do you think [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Tza'Hal[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] would know? Orcs are well educated, right?"[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I'm afraid I know less about orcs than I do the Baladuri, and that's next to nothing, besides what you've told me. But I do know if anyone can make a difference, you can. You [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]are[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] different. More so than anyone I've ever met. There's a spirit about you. A goodness... It inspires people." Nose [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]crinkling[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] in a small, dry smile, Wyn shrugged, "I'm not much like my people, either. But I don't know if I'm much of an inspiration, either."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I never met an elf before you," he admitted with a sheepish chuckle. "We were taught...some pretty mean things in retrospect. But I would say you are an inspiration, at least to me. You press on even in the darkest of times. I look up to that kind of drive."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Blushing lightly, Wyn's gaze dropped, "...Thank you. That... that means a lot to me. I wasn't exactly the pride of my village. My mother used to say it wasn't bravery... I was just too stubborn to know when to give up. Maybe she was right, at least to an extent, but either way, it just seems right... seeing this through."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"Our mothers would get along," Hal said thoughtfully. There was a moment's pause as he entertained the concept with his imagination, and shook his head somewhat with an amused chuckle. "My mother would tell me all the time how stupid I was for running out to do Freedom [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Raids[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]. I was overly confident though."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"But you care about something. That's important..." A sigh escaped and looking up again, tracking the dragon across the ashy sky, she shook her head, "If more people cared the way you did, I imagine we'd be looking at a different world. Though I do hope your brothers and your father are okay." Touching her wrist with a small grimace, she glanced back to the keep, "I'll get this taken care of, and then we should see if we can't find them."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]He nodded his head in agreement and motioned down the road towards Keep Brandau. "Agreed. We can't have you running about with that injury uncared for. When Charlie gets back we should head out as soon as possible so that we can catch up with the others."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Smiling delicately, she chuckled, "It's not so bad. Just got a bit carried away with an ice shield. I've never actually tried to make one before, but there was a tree and a little boy... and I just sort of reacted. It... it was his mother. The woman I lost. I couldn't let him die, too."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Hal's head nodded somewhat, his arm instinctively rubbing Wynleth's shoulder for comfort. It took everything in him to pry away from the scene and away from keeping an eye on Charlie. He would come back to them, surely. Sparing one final glance through the trees towards the erupting Mouth of the Mountain, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Hal[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] began to guide Wyn back down the road towards the keep. "You did what you could," he said, "and it sounds quite impressive. I wish I had magic. Maybe you can show me what else you can do. Well, after your wrist gets better. Let's see if anyone has a bandage so we can make a splint."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Laughing softly, a self-deprecating chuckle, though not without humor, Wyn shook her head, "If you want to see real magic, you're best to ask Charlie. I'm terrible. My... my father died, while I was at the academy. I suppose I just couldn't throw myself into it, after that. I can't complain, though. It came when I needed it, and that's something. Honestly, I think it's for the best. Sometimes those of us with magic tend to rely on it a bit too much... We forget there are other ways of handling situations. My father, before he died, he used to tell Remi and I that nothing could substitute for a quick wit and cleverness."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"Ah, more and more it sounds like our parents would get along well," Hal said with a laugh. "Both my parents were very adamant about giving us an education. We don't have schools here in the valley. And it's quite a walk to get to the elders of this region out in Kallath." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]As they walked further, some kids ran out to see the dragon eagerly, a few of the parents meandering behind with just as much interest. They passed by Hal and Wynleth with barely a glance as they set their eyes to the skies.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I wasn't much for the academy... but what my father taught me? I'll never forget. Maps, and tracking... The art of observation. It makes an incredible difference in how you see the world. In what you can focus on..." Watching the group pass, she smiled faintly, "In what you'd otherwise miss. It made the world worth saving, for me..."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]The keep's entrance was left open, and the few that were in the open yard were either in conversation or making sure their livestock didn't run off. Hal's mother sat with her two daughters, the youngest of which was gently petting her pet goat. Kathan looked over at the two, her gaze still distant and wary even as they approached. Hal noticed. He couldn't tell what exactly was causing her demeanor to be so out of place. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"Amah," he said, "this is my friend Wynleth. We've got a very important task to get back to, and she needs her wrist tended to before we leave." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I know," she said as she rose from the crate she sat upon. Her hair was graying and features aging, but she still carried herself just as well and with just as much energy as Charlie. In her hand was a roll of bandaging and a couple of flat pieces of wood, and she held it up into view. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I know," she said, and held out her empty hand towards Wynleth. "Do I want to know what important business a damned [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]shae[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] has put you on?"[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Settling down beside the woman, her hand held out gingerly, Wynleth smiled faintly, her cheeks aglow with a light blush, "I'm sorry I ran off earlier, I just..." Her gaze drifted to Hal, but she fell quiet. Some things, naturally, didn't need to be said. "...We... we're searching for a way to stop the Shadow. We found, well... we found the Seed of Life in the Mouth of the Mountain. And now we need to bring it to the World Tree. Your son, he... he's been [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]indespensible[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]." Her eyes lowered, her cheeks reddening again, "I can only imagine this must be difficult for any mother. But I'm certain you know [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]how[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] important this is. For everyone's sake..."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Kathan began to delicately secure and splint Wynleth's wrist, wrapping it in the bandage from hand to forearm. Her eyes only spared a glance towards Hal, catching his gaze watching [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Wynleth[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] intently as the elf explained their situation. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"The Seed of Life," she repeated, her tone solemn. "It was there. An actual seed?" [/BCOLOR][/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"Yes!" Hal chimed in excitedly, but halted his exuberance with a thought. "Wait, you've heard of the Seed of Life before?" [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I never thought it was real," she admitted. "Things must be pretty bad, then." Kathan secured the bandage around Wynleth's arm and began to cry, her hand covering her face as the tears dropped from her cheeks. Hal knelt by her side in concern. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I wish your father was here," she said. "He should be here." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"We're going to look for him," Hal assured. "It was [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Wynleth's[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] idea. We can search for him and Rolan and Baelyn on our way to Lauderdine." He looked over at Wynleth. "We'll get them back."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Reaching out with her other hand, Wyn covered Kathan's, giving it a gentle pat, "...I promise that we will do whatever we can to find them. I told Hal before we came here that the world isn't worth saving unless there are good people left in it at the end. If we can, we will send them home to you." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Facing Hal, she smiled delicately, "Maybe we aren't what the world imagines when it thinks of heroism... But we've come this far. We can do this... and we get them back."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Kathan's head nodded slowly as she wiped the tears from her cheeks with the back of her hand. The tears had streaked through the grime that clung to her face and smeared. She hadn't given herself time to wash it all away, much like the rest gathered at the keep. They were dirty from the interrupted day's work, from running down the muddy road, and from the ash that fell from the skies. Well water was scooped up from its depths and hesitantly tested while a fire was struck off in the corner to begin preparations for a communal meal. There were a few less adults, likely having left to hunt as no one seemed concerned of their absence. Kathan was one of the volunteers to help watch the children. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"There's a dragon, Amah," Hal said. "It's saving the village. When the mountain quiets you will be able to come home. And Pah and the boys will be there." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Kathan raised her hand to cup his cheek, patting his stubbled jawline gently. "Go and save the world," she said, and looked to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Wynleth[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] as well. "Both of you. And I expect you home for supper." It was a small, but common phrase among [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Baladuri[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]. It was a request to spend as little time away as possible, and it made Hal laugh as he embraced his mother. She didn't want to let go, and even tugged Wynleth into the hug. It wasn't unlike Kathan to be so emotional, especially when it came to those she cared about heading off for a long travel. Hal offered her reassurances, and then looked to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Wynleth[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]. "We should find Charlie," he suggested.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]For as unemotional and even frigid as her own mother could be, Kathan seemed to house a world's worth of compassion within her. As Wyn was tugged into that warm embrace, she felt the sudden rush of empathy towards the woman, the stinging burden of tears and when she was released she brushed at her own ash-coated cheeks, nodding both to his mother and Hal himself. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Their mission had to continue... and now, more than ever, Wyn knew it's grave importance. Sheathing Kathan's hands with her own, cautious of her newly bound wrist, she bowed her head. There were no words, no promises she could make that would reassure as well as the definite determination behind her eyes. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]A moment passed and she released the woman, her hand finding Hal's again, "Let's go..."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]@Elle Joyner @Cloudily @Red Thunder[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]
[/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]
The Bitter Lands

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Those freed began to retaliate, and those still locked in chains worked together to dismount the archers as they passed. The woman still cried over the dead body of one of her own, and the man that had spoken up before rushed to Azzara and [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Tza'Hal[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], now equipped with an axe. He was fair skinned and fair haired, his blue eyes as bright as the skies as he beamed over at his saviors.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"Thank you friends," he said. "You must go. You have to get out of here before the patrols reach us. The slavers... They sounded the horn. If you stay, you'll be taken into custody by the name of the king."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Another man almost exactly like the other approached, though he was far older with a head of salt-and-pepper hair pulled back to reveal a deep [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]rece[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]ding[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] hairline. His bushy brows were furrowed as he nodded to the pair. "We're Freedom Fighters," the older one explained in a gruff voice. "We know what to do. These people are with us."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]The slavers that were left didn't stand a chance once the chains were broken and retaliation soaked into their weary frames. It was as though they all felt a jolt of inhuman energy; as if the unspoken warriors within them finally [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]awakened[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]. Shouts and cries echoed through the stick straight trees as the line of natives and citizens broke formation to partake in their liberation.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Their path to Lauderdine awaited.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]@[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]SpaceCowboyEin @Doctor Jax[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]
Theresia's Vardo

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"Gweena! What is it? What's the matter?"[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]But all she could do was babble in her panic. So the patriarch turned to the crowd, bellowing for someone to fetch the doctor. Someone responded, sprinting for the door. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]There was no release from the memory, and Theresia closed her eyes and began a chant. The language was indiscernible, and either entirely foreign or incredibly old. Theresia's hands raised into the air as she uttered the incantation as the scene continued to unfold, unhindered by her presence. Cracks within the walls began to form like large fault lines in the scene, cutting through and crumbling to reveal a deep void beneath. But the scene would not seem to end.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Suddenly the table shot forward toward the messenger, as if launched from a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]catepult[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], and it crushed the man against the door. Gweena began wailing, and [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Weythorn[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] took a step back in disbelief.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"No-" [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]He was cut short by a deafening roar of predatory malice and hatred. And Trynten's memory went black. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]The blackness was sudden, and in a matter of seconds they were conscious once again in the small spaces of her wagon home.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"Hold him down!" she called to Inara as she, too, lurched forward, her hands releasing from theirs to clasp Trynten's temples. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]With damp eyes and a staunch ripping sensation somewhere behind her naval, Inara lurched forward and pinned [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Trynten[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] to the ground. Whether he had already fallen or she had simply knocked him over, Inara was quite unsure. Her mind swam with memories and the present, a torrent of waves seeming to drown her consciousness. When her mind stilled and absorbed the reality of the situation, something twisted deep in her stomach. Though she couldn't deny what she had already known about Trynten, Inara hadn't the stomach to process his last memory. The Naveri-gifted blade hung from her waist in a makeshift sheath, and suddenly the weight was both reassuring and disconcerting. It was hard [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]not[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] to look at her traveling companion as she questioned her ability to wield the blade against him. Somehow, she was still unsure. Inara had too few friends as it were. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Grappling to find some form of leverage in Theresia's red vardo home, without somehow being in her way, was proving difficult for Inara. And for a moment's hesitation, as she too lurched forward after [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Trynten[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], Inara found a war raging inside her. To trust Theresia, or not. In that moment doubt creeped in, but alongside it: faith. As she crouched there, still rocked by the emotions of having to relive [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]that[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] memory, her mind took her to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Shae[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] Pippa and the Seed of Life, to her northern bound companions who traveled to retrieve the Seed and to her brother Zaharin, somewhere back in Emalnahar who she left without saying goodbye. Despite the weight of it all, she felt grounded again, for the first time since the Tainted attack and her mind whispered the final battle cry. Inara already trusted the foreign woman. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]But along with her newfound sense of balance, came a realization that gave her chills. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]If this is the beginning of their journey to save the world, how worse will circumstances be until the fate of the world is decided?[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Inara swallowed back her fear and addressed the alluring foreigner. "What happened Theresia? Why [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]were we pulled back into Tryn's … memory?" She hesitated, but didn't linger on it. "When you bring him back, will his … will his mind be okay?"[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]The tension settled as Theresia's murmurings soften to nothing but outward breaths, and a bright light glimmered from behind the woman. It was an orb that seemed to chime like little bells as it floated to her shoulder. The glow then dimmed enough to reveal a rather strange looking [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]fae[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] no bigger than Theresia's hand, the fae forever a color of gold and yellows. The small being looked down upon [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Trynten[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], her little hands clasping her lips delicately as Theresia pulled back from [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Trynten[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit].[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"He should be fine now," she said to Inara. "You may release him and give him room. He... I took a great risk with him. I prematurely moved on from his memory because of what we ended up revealing. He possesses the ability to tap into the past, as I suspected. And so he was able to take over control of the ritual. He will be shaken, as the experience for him was as though he relived it all over again, but he will be just fine in an hour or two. Laie will protect us." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Inara nodded, eyes half-blind from the light of Laie, and stumbled back to the plush chair. She rubbed her eyes to erase the little orbs in her vision and sighed deeply to keep a grip on her calm. Nothing made sense anymore, nothing at all. Her mind took her back to Shae Pippa, to the Seed. Nothing at all, her mind whispered, and in her mind's eye she saw the end of the world, which was in fact, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]nothing at all[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"What can you tell us," she glanced down at [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Trynten[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] who was still unconscious. "about the Seed of Life? The location of the Tree? Those bent on destroying it, along with all we've ever known?" [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]She glanced down at [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Tryn[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] and saw the entirety of Shae Pippa's fellowship lying there when she did so. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]
[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"How do we protect ourselves?" [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Laie fluttered down to Trynten's unconscious form, her tiny bare feet carrying up his shirt as she approached his face with cautious curiosity. Theresia sat back onto her bedside and heaved a sigh of relief as she looked over at the elf. Her eyes closed, and the moments after all inquiries were posed were given in silence as Theresia deeply reflected. [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"I was afraid this would be the information you seek," she said and opened her eyes to look upon Inara solemnly. "The Seed of Life is very real. It is what will create the next World Tree. The World Tree only has enough energy to produce a handful of its very essence manifested into this realm of existence. There is only one remaining Seed of Life left that the Shadow has not corrupted and [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]killed, and[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] it is on its way to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Lauderdine, and[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] in good hands." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]She gave another pause as she looked away. There was a glimmer possible shame or guilt. "You must be the ones it chose. The World [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Tree, I[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] mean to say. If you fail to bring the last Seed of Life to the roots of the World [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Tree, the[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] only magic that will remain is that of Light and Shadow. And Shadow will inevitably prevail. That dagger you have. Is it the only thing given to you by those hunters? I've seen one like it before. It will serve you well as long as you wield it." [/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Laie flew upwards onto the top of the vardo's dresser and sat as a silent observer. Little flecks of light dusted off of her wi[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]th every move like starlight. She didn't [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]speak, though[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] Fae never did. Their communication was of an unknown and unreachable method by [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]humans and elves. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Shae[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] seemed to be the only ones able to understand [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]them, though[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] the Fae folk always understand everyone around them. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]The little fairy of light was rather odd for the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Kingdoms, for[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] even the long ext[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]inct [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Woodland Fae. None had ever been of light [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]before, and[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] that in itself [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]meant this fairy was far from home. It seemed Laie and Theresia were two of a kind from exotic and unfamiliar lands.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"The Shadow grows," Theresia continued. "It has marked your friend[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] with its taint, and one day he will either lose his will or his life.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]"[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] She pulled back her hair, twisting the dark locks up to reveal her neck. Her skin was barely seen through the black taint that ran up from her [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]back, pulsing[/BCOLOR] [BCOLOR=inherit]in the telltale purple hue of Shadow Magic. It was the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]advanced stages of Shadow Taint. She was just like [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Trynten[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit].[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]Rising from her bedside yet again, she traced her fingers along the dangling glowing crystals[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], the tips grazing the stones thoughtfully until she lingered on one. Theresia plucked it from the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]strand, and[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] held it down to Inara. "[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]The Shadow [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Army is convinced the magic of the World Tree will tear this planet apart[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]. They think they're saving the world.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] But they are [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]misguided, and[/BCOLOR] [BCOLOR=inherit]due to the nature of their magic they have lost their sanity over time. I do not know where the World Tree presides or which direction you must head to take the Seed of [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Life, but[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] this [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]crystal contains knowledge that will help you[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]r cause."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]She gently lowered the crystal into Inara's hand. It was [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]long, and[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] about the end of its length was silver filigree [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]to hold it[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] to a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]metal loop where it once hung from the strands above their heads. The crystal itself was like a clearer ro[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]se quartz that carried a sheen akin to Ice Dragon feathers. From within was a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]soft, constant[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] glow.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]"When I was given that vision," she said to the elf, "I did not understand it. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]It's a spell that combines [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]all magic.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]It is something you need to experience to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]understand, which[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] is why I give you this memory within the crystal. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]But… [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Trynten[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] is the only one that can access the memory contained. When he wakes and when he [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]recovers, [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]g[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]ive[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] him this and tell him to focus on what he feels from it. After a minute has passed while he is [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]witnessing,[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] remove[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] it from his [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]hand, or[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] he may slip into the Forever.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]"[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]She looked back over to Trynten solemnly. "There should be a few rooms available at the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]inn[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]," she said. "I would suggest renting one [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]before the drunkards forget to go home for the night. Best not to be out after dark."[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]@Red Thunder @[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Fyrelily[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[/BCOLOR]
[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=inherit]Lauderdine[/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]All parties would eventually converge on the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]gates and fortified community. The previous night for those within was more quiet than most nights and were able to enjoy the rare occasion of having no[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] bestial attack to thwart. The day was just as the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]others; a[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] cold crisp air in the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]morning that warmed to sunny skies. Along the Western border rested the Twisted Woods in a[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] line of darkness where occasionally a creature flew above the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]woven canopy only to drop back inside.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]It was unusual for Lauderdine to receive so many visitors in one day. The guardsmen that road out to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]greet each group approached with [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]skepticism, but[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] they were eventually allowed in after a string of questions. [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Azzara and Tza'Hal would make it to the town an hour before the rest. Eyes followed them through the streets both wide and [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]hesitant[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], the[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] children curiously following after them just to see what a [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Maldviri[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] and an Orc would want to do in Lauderdine. Their gathering[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] point was in the cellar under the local [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]apothecary, and[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] notice was sent out to the guards for the arrival of [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Wynleth[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit], [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Charlie, and[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] Hal.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent][BCOLOR=inherit]The cellar was [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]dry thanks to the line of runes that spanned its interior. For people so opposed to [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]magic, it[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] was clear at some point [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]the [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]Thalls[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] were far more welcoming. Well kept shelves lined the walls with surplus and more e[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]xotic finds. There were dead insects that sheen like gold contained within mason jars and blackened fangs of a small creature.[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] Crates were stacked at the foot of each shelf. There was a small open section[/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit] with a strange rug and a desk with an old Vuaturi device designed for magical communication across long [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]distances. The blue crystal beneath the desk was cracked and no longer held a glow. It was there Theresia [/BCOLOR][BCOLOR=inherit]waited to greet the chosen few.[/BCOLOR] [/BCOLOR]

[BCOLOR=transparent]@fyrelily @Elle Joyner @Cloudily @Doctor Jax @SpaceCowboyEin @Red Thunder[/BCOLOR]​

CHARLIE REDDEMAN
Lauderdine

When Kraeg had eventually returned back to the Keep and allowed his passenger to depart, Charlie had stumbled off in a daze, eyes glistening but chest heaving considerably. Before he moved away from Kraeg, he turned back around, for the last time enveloping the sight of this great beast, and then collapsing onto Kraeg's side, reaching his arms as far as they could possibly go in a great big hug. He was grinning ear to ear yet a single tear fell from Charlie's eye. It was wiped away quickly, leaving only the great big smile. If Charlie ever seemed childish before, now his happiness seemed to encompass the innocence of a youngin; and albeit physically battered and mentally abused, nothing, for now, should be able to taint this memory. He could not have ever imagined meeting a dragon, much less getting to ride one. It was a childhood wish that had been fulfilled, and he would never forget it.

Kraeg turned away, Charlie off to his left. Suddenly he turned back to the young man, sniffing. He opened his mouth, and a long white object of about a foot and a half fell out. It was bleach white, sharpened on one end, and it looked old. So old. Kraeg nosed it at Charlie, grunting expectantly.Charlie looked at it warily, before looking back at Kraeg and then back at what was very likely to be a bone. "Oh," Charlie murmured. "Thanks," He said, picking it up, and moving away.

After Charlie had embraced Kraeg to the best of his ability (and accepted his gift of sorts), he made his way towards Hal and Wyn, but tripped on his own feet and fell onto Wyn, but right himself quickly with reddening cheeks, that were already quite hot from the heat of the environment. "Sorry," He murmured, holding on to Wyn's shoulder for a moment to steady himself, still beaming. "I-I'm -- haha, I.. sorry," He said, running a hand through his soot-filled hair and then bringing his shirt up over his mouth. Nothing needed to said about Charlie's experience on the dragon's back, at least, not at this time. It was all over his face. Before their departure Kathan tried her best to offer Charlie the very sweater off her back, for his was probably laying in a flaming heap off somewhere else, but he refused. That, he regretted very much later on.

Throughout the walk to Lauderdine Charlie was silent. He continuously kept on trying to straighten his posture, but always muttered some sort of "ouch" or "ow" as he hunched his shoulders again and clenched a blistered hand over his chest. Despite Charlie's almost nasty appearance, dirty and bruised and covered in cuts and burns, nothing dimmed the brightness in his facial expression. About halfway through the journey, and quite some time after they had left the Keep, Charlie let out a quiet, "That was pretty neat." And said nothing more.

Luckily there was a point where the three were able to stop and rest, Charlie finally being able to clean up and care for some of his wounds, wrapping his blistered hands and tending to the smaller injuries to the best of his ability. Kraeg's gift was also tucked neatly away into his bag. But the cold weather and water got to him quite quickly. He set up a large fire for them all and slept right by it to keep from freezing. Hal and Wyn were occupied with teach other's company but he was too tired to care. Lauderdine seemed too peaceful a place for them to visit, after all the chaos. Charlie glanced around gingerly, half expecting something to jump out at them, whether it be another shade or another volcano, he was quite ready for it. Though it never came, Charlie still walked uneasily, clinging close to his traveling companions.

The cellar was strange and eerie, and for some reason, it made Charlie uncomfortable. It smelled dry and of something else he couldn't put his finger on, and he kept his brows furrowed with curiosity and anxiety as he moved throughout it, up until he saw the others. He lit up once more at the sight of Tza'Hal and Azzara, as well as Inara and Tryn, albeit not knowing them quite as well. "You're all alright," He squeaked excitedly, moving closer towards Tza'Hal and Azzara, giving them each a quick hug, and then turning to face the one person in the room he did not recognize. He did not quite say anything, but did give a small nod of acknowledgment. Her presence was just a strange as the feeling the entire cellar gave Charlie, but it intrigued him more than it put him on edge, so he decided to bite his tongue until she spoke to them all. She did look like she had something important to say.

@errybodeh

[bg=#B8904D]
Z3twmzI.png

no-lightbox
The warmth of a fire, exhaustion from a long journey. Her head against his side, the weight of an arm slung gingerly around her shoulder. The steady rhythm of a strong heartbeat lulling her to sleep. He wasn't Arun… but somehow, despite her best efforts to shield herself from an all too familiar pain, Wynleth had grown to care for him. Too much.

She'd known it in part when she had considered the possibility he was injured or worse, at the keep, but it had become clear after they'd left, and that sense of concern still clung to her. It was the same feeling she'd experienced when she had first seen Runey on the airship, before the monastery. The fear of a loss too great to bear.

She slept curled up beside him, but not as restfully as she might have hoped. Hal Midigan had somehow crawled beneath her defenses, and she was terrified of what entirely that meant.

Morning dawned and after a quick meal, their journey continued, ensconced in a contented quiet. Later in the day however, as they neared their destination, the realization became clear that their respite was over, and an uneasy sense of dread struck her like the dull ache of a bruise. They were barely begun in their quest and already they had encountered so much. It was sure to get much more difficult and there was little knowing what might happen along the way.

At the gates of Lauderdine, they were greeted by guards with instructions on where they would meet the others and in no time at all they found themselves guided down winding steps, into the apothecary's cellar. There, in the small, musty room among the bottled oddities, comforting faces swam into view, her heart warmed by the sight of their companions. Looking at them, Wyn allowed herself a moment of relief. Not altogether unscathed, but for the better part whole they were a ragtag crew, but complete.

Charlie was the first to move, enveloping the others in a tight embrace and Wyn smiled at his warmth, his innocence. He seemed so much the very heart of them, sometimes. Something, she knew, they would need most desperately, as their journey wore on. Morale was as important a tool as any ability to fight or hunt, any magic they might ever learn to use. Keeping their hearts and minds from darkness would be a crucial factor in completing the harrowing task that lie ahead.

Moving fully inside, Wyn turned her eyes to the stranger and taking the woman in, she bowed her head with a polite regard, "You must be Theresia. Thank you so much for your assistance."

TAGS: @Effervescent, @Cloudily @errybodyelse
[/bg]

Azzara Omari
The Bitter Lands/Lauderdine

The chaos that surrounded Azzara was beginning to turn into an organized resistance. Her strike against one of the horse archers forced him to drop his bow and cover his face, but was not enough to dismount him. Fortunately, she wouldn't have to prepare for a second go. The slaves managed to pull both riders fro their mounts using their sheer numbers and the fact that the horses didn't seem too keen yet to plow through a crowd. Azzara looked the whip over in her hand and sighed. It had been so long since she had to use it in a combat situation, let alone at all. Her mentor taught her the art of wielding a whip while she still in Maldvir. They flaunted its ability, despite some of the difficulties that came with using one. She figured that nobody else would be needing it, so she coiled it up with the intention of bringing it along to Lauderdine.

Then, a familiar face approached. Azzara recognized him as the man who inquired about the eruption and promptly caught a beating for doing so. She offered him a weary smile and cast a look across what remained of their section of the slave line. "You don't have to thank me. It would go against my teachings to leave you all to your devices. I had a feeling we wouldn't leave harassed either way." Then, a second man approached and informed her that the slaves were more than just a rag tag group of slaves who simply knew how to fight. She nodded to both of them before cocking her head back towards the Mouth of the Mountain. "To answer your question, the eruption was the mouth of the mountain. I'm unsure of the state of the surrounding villages, though a portion of my group decided to remain and help due to...familiar ties." Azzara's features dimmed and her lips flattened into a line as she thought on the safety of Wyn and the others. She hoped that they made it out, but she knew the forces of nature were nothing to be trifled with. It would take nothing short of a miracle for them to survive, and it was only in her power to hope that one had occurred, and to carry on to Lauderdine.

Suddenly Azzara became very aware of the lack of weight carried on her person. It seemed that she had dropped the Seed's bag in the middle of the fight. Her eyes searched the crowd and found a younger freedom fighter examining the bag. He brow furrowed and several strides she was upon the young man and took the bag from his grasp. "It's in your best interest if you don't know what's in this bag." She said cooly before continuing on, leaving the man confused if not slightly offended. While these freedom fighters were her allies for the time being, she had no intention of divulging the contents of the bag to anyone that didn't already know. The Seed, despite being a heavy burden to carry, gave any one individual more power than they needed, and certainly more than Azzara wanted. She'd protect it with her life if needed be, but would feel much better after they planted it.

By courtesy of the former slaves, a horse would be provided for both Azzara and Tza'Hal as their old owners would no longer be using them. She made sure to have the horses attention before attempting to mount. Even as the battle moved further from them, she didn't want to run the risk of falling and harming herself further than she already was. Like the whip, it had been some time since Azzara had to personally ride a horse, but the motions of mounting were all the same to her. In one, smooth movement she was upon the animal and was made painfully aware of the injury she had suffered to her side. The cut from the arrowhead opened and blood dribbled through the already stained fabric of her clothing. She would not bleed out, at least not before they could ride out to safety. Again, she looked for her partner and hoped that she was already mounted. "Let's get to it then."

----------

If it wasn't for their scuffle with the slavers, the pair would likely have made it to Lauderdine before dark. But being so close to the twisted woods made it dangerous to go during the night. That being said, Azzara was determined to try and get out as much of the daylight and dusk as she could before stopping at a grove along the road. The night went by without much fuss and Azzara managed to bandage her wound up before catching a few hours of much needed sleep. By the crack of dawn the pair were up and back on the road to Lauderdine. When they did arrive, they were greeted by a guard who was quite obvious skeptical of their being here, but eventually let them in thankfully without inquiring just what exactly was inside of her bag. The pair were met with an equal amount of curiosity form the townfolk and especially the children. Azzara offered a smile to the young ones who attempted to keep up or fail to be stealthy about tailing them. They were innocent, to a degree and had the possibility of growing up in a world they had no control over if her group failed their task and as such the children were a potent reminded of just how important her job was.

Their destination, the cellar of an Apothecary was oddly homey despite its dated appearance. The items lining its walls certainly gave it character as well. Inara and Trynten were waiting in the Cellar looking just about as weathered as they were. She offered a smile and nod to Inara, and a more knowing one to Trynten. She'd need to talk to him about the past she'd nearly forgotten after things were straightened to see where exactly they would be taking the seed now. For now, she was saving up on her energy, she didn't get enough energy back from her sleep to warrant her usual cheery personality. Lastly, she gave a nod to the one woman, whom she assumed to be Theresia, in the room that had offered a simple hello and instructed that they wait for the rest. The seed was still in its bag, clutched to her chest lightly as if she were hauling a small child with her. After some time, the rest of the group arrived, surprisingly also unharmed. She hardly had time to shift before Charlie rushed the pair and gave them each a hug. "I'm glad to see that you're still in good shape and good spirits." She said quietly as he broke from her. Azzara's eyes then scanned the room. The whole group was still alive and in good shape. For intents and purposes, the first portion of their journey had gone well, but she didn't expect things to stay that way for long. She had the feeling that the shadow casters did not give up monitoring them after Charlie, and that the stake were now simply higher and the journey was about to get that much more dangerous.

Tza'Hal
-Monk of the Order of the Lynx

Much to the orc's surprise, the slaves retaliated in full. She was duly impressed by their fervor for their own freedom, though she felt no regret in assuming their lesser status. With sword in hand, she managed to funnel those escaping away from the fracas, while Azzara seemed to have caught the attention of the slave that had mentioned the explosion at the Mouth of the Mountain. She grunted towards the gruff Freedom Fighter that answered them, pleased that they had managed to form some kind of resistance.It would make their lives easier, and it took the burden of responsibility for these lives off their shoulders. After all, they had important work to do.

Tza'Hal growled as she tried to step towards her horse, her leg twinging. The arrow tip was still stuck in her thigh, and removing it would perhaps do more damage than good. She took a hold of the end, set the sword to the shaft, and broke it with a grunt, leaving just the arrow tip lodged into her leg. She would remove it at a later date, when they weren't fleeing for their lives. Tza'Hal quickly took hold of her mount, and she briefly stared at the horse with wariness.

She'd never liked horses. There was something about their big liquid eyes and large teeth that made her skin crawl. It didn't help that horses seemed to mutually dislike her just as much as she disliked them. As she reached for its bridle, it snapped its jaws at her, and she backed out of the way, squinting her eyes and briefly shaking her sword.

"Beast, you try that again, and you might end up dinner," she grumbled as she managed to clamber onto its back with a wince.

She shared a look with her traveling companion, and she nodded. With that, they started on the journey to Lauderdine, and a long journey it was. While Tza'Hal was used to walking for days on end to reach other towns, the long road to Lauderdine felt like an eternity. Perhaps it was Tza'Hal's old impatience brewing, or the moral turpitude roiling within her own soul. Perhaps it was the importance of their mission, or maybe the arrowhead still lodged in Tza'Hal's thigh. Whatever the case, when they stopped for the night, Tza'Hal had been tempted to suggest that she would continue (on foot, even, if it meant leaving that horrid four-legged walking nightmare) and meet Azzara in Lauderdine. However, she was wise enough to realize the folly of such impatience, and she slept fitfully, the faces of the men she'd killed still lodged in her mind.

They arrived early to Lauderdine the next day, the guards giving them rather pointed looks, but the children in town were much more forgiving of their looks. Perhaps to jest with them, she frequently turned her head towards them with a jerk, just to watch them scurry off to find some hiding place. Too soon, they arrived at the old apothecary, and Tza'Hal nearly fell off the horse as it sidestepped the cobbles. She bit back a curse as the arrowhead made its presence known, but nonetheless she continued on.

Once in the apothecary, she immediately made for the counter and asked the apothecarist for a long list of different herbs and a pestle while Azzara went into the cellar. After buying what seemed like half the entire building's worth of plants, she journeyed downstairs to join Azzara. There, she saw another foreigner, a woman, at a desk with a Vuaturi machine (which normally, she would be greatly interested in), but she ignored them as she took a spot on the floor, picked a pestle and mortar off the shelf, and quickly began grinding into paste a variety of herbs.

By the time everyone had arrived, Tza'Hal had made an entire mortar full of poultice, and she took her time smearing it on the broken arrowhead before finally tying a large kind of broadleaf around her thigh. With that down, she used the shelves to stand up in time to see Charlie come in for a hug, and the orc grunted as she was assaulted with an embrace. She stiffened momentarily before patting Charlie's back.

With that, it seemed everyone was in attendance, and Tza'Hal took the time to lean against the shelving in the cellar, if just to get the weight off her injured leg. Hopefully this woman could give them some sort of straight answer -- not those cryptic bywords that Shae spouted off at them when they'd begun this journey.

Nightmares and Memories
Part 1

A Collab between @Red Thunder and @fyrelily

Sweet, utter oblivion. Trynten's mind was graciously black and empty, filled with nothing and dwelling on nothing. Not even his own...concerns. Any and every worry of the outside world bothered him not at all, and he at last had peace in the emptiness. Suddenly pain filled his mind; pain and fear. The memory of the memory began screaming and screaming, and his whole world was terror.

The woodsman's eyes snapped open, and he sat bolt upright. Sweat covered him, and his undershirt was drenched in it. He looked about in a panic, backing against the nearest wall suspiciously, eyes darting back and forth as he sought to determine where he was. He sat in an untidy bed, on a mattress of hay, and the room was sparsely furnished with crude furniture. Weak candlelight illuminated the wooden walls, and Tryn blinked and shook his head.

"The hell..." he muttered, placing his hand to his forehead.

His slow, steady breathing mimicked hers, and for a moment, Inara could have sworn she dozed off in the candlelit room. With a small jolt, Inara sat up in the hard-backed chair, whose back rested against the only entrance, and glanced over at Trynten. His breaths were shallow, coming in ragged and faster then only moments before. She jumped in the uncomfortable chair as her travelling companion bolted upright and backed into the wall behind him. It was odd, seeing him for the first time as the prey, instead of the predator. Somehow it didn't seem to fit.

"It was hell moving you here, Tryn." Inara said softly, humor lacing her voice. "I have to say: you look like hell, probably feel like it too after Theresia."

She yawned into her hand and rolled her shoulders to release the knots already forming. She eyed the bed he occupied longingly before glancing up at her companion.

"How're you holding up?"

He didn't look up; how could he? Someone knew. Inara knew. It had been perhaps inevitable that she'd find out, especially after the events on the road here, but Tryn had hoped to prolong the wary peace they'd nonetheless retained. But it was not to be. The she-elf knew. And who could say what that might mean?

For now, however, she spoke with a touch of sarcasm and perhaps genuine concern, inquiring after his own well being despite sounding still exhausted herself. Shrugging, Tryn scooted forward to sit on the edge of the bed.

"Okay, given that ordeal."

He thought about saying more. He really did. He longed to be honest with Inara, to broach the topic. Instead he felt only shame. Tryn sat quiet for several heavy moments, the silence between them thick. Finally he stood, stretching, before gesturing to the bed and walking toward his pack with bowed shoulders.

"Please. You have to be exhausted, too."

Bending down, he kneeled next to his bag and began digging for a clean tunic. When he didn't find one, he frowned. His sword was missing, too, it seemed, unless he'd just managed to misplace it.

Inara sighed contemptuously, and in the low light, night having claimed the small enclosed town of Lauderdine, it almost sounded like a pur. She cracked her neck and stood, nodding her head in thanks. Half-carrying and half-dragging an unconscious Tryn was more difficult than she was willing to admit. Still, she sat awake half the night, watching the fall and rise of his chest while he recovered from his ordeal.

"The innkeeper," Inara said knowingly. "Wasn't too keen on a she-elf carrying in a dead-to-the-world human male. Asked- well, demanded really for me to hand over our weapons." She shrugged despite the nagging in her gut. "It was the only open room." She murmured before crossing the length to the bed.

Curling up on the mattress of straw facing Tryn, blissfully comfortable, Inara felt the length of the crystal inside her leather jerkin.

"Theresia gave me a memory… One that'll help us save the World Tree. But Tryn, only you have the power to tap into it..." Inara said sleepily.

A memory. Did Theresia really trust him with a memory, after... Did Inara? He'd stood up as she had collapsed on the bed. Striding slowly over to the door, Tryn sat upon the chair. Even weaponless, it was worth having someone at the entrance. Inara had clearly thought so. Though just whom she was guarding was unclear.

Trynten tried to push the suspicions from his mind as he tried to get comfortable. She'd surely figured him out after the bandits' attack, yet she came back for him and stayed with him. Was it because he was of use? Worth the risk? He supposed that may be it. Yet the she-elf didn't seem like there was a risk; she lay curled in an almost fetal position, in a clearly indefensible way. Perhaps she was trying to distract him from the memory by bringing up Theresia's. His brow furrowed.

"How on earth am I to tap into a...memory? And how did she give you a memory?"

The weak candlelight reflected in his eyes as he stared into the flame, and his mouth was a line.

Once again, Inara couldn't help but yawn. Attempting to rub the sleep from her eyes, Inara closed them for a moment, reveling in the semi-darkness before forcing them open. If she kept them shut for too long she was bound to fall asleep, right then and there. The mattress was comfy and Inara curled up on the bed tighter, letting her tense muscles finally relax. She looked over at Tryn, the candlelight dancing in his eyes, wondering if the memory - his memory - had resurfaced. He had to know she already knew, but Inara couldn't help but feel a tad less than relieved that it was now out in the open. That had been his secret to keep and share on his terms… Somehow, Inara felt as though she betrayed him.

"Do you remember those crystals?" Inara finally asked. "The ones dangling from the arch in Theresia's roof? Well, they're memories. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but she said you had to focus on what you feel from the crystal... But I'll need to be awake and coherent for you to do it." Inara hesitated, wondering if she should add the last bit of information Theresia had told her. "She mentioned something about slipping into the Forever… I must pull it from your hands after a minute…" She yawned again, this time so hard her jaw cracked and she winced painfully.

She closed her eyes then, slowly succumbing to her exhaustion. Inara let out a peaceful sigh, falling into a daze that danced with memories and thoughts unvoiced. Before the darkness could stake it's claim, her eyelids fluttered open and Inara glanced back at Trynten.

"You know Tryn, that furry little problem of yours is alright by me… I trust you." And without waiting for a reply, she let herself fall into oblivion.

Before he could catch them, Trynten's eyes snapped over to where Inara lay. She was already asleep, thank the Maker. So she did know. It was a strange feeling, that someone would know. That someone should, and yet. That was perhaps what the woodsman didn't really understand. He knew Inara too well to think her a coward, but it is no cowardice to recognize danger and remove oneself from it. She was certainly no fool either, that she didn't recognize that danger. The she-elf stayed in spite of it.

He sat back against the chair back, considering. If Inara could feel safe around him, perhaps Azzara could as well? Tryn's mind flitted back to the brief moment he'd seen her in the tavern, so many miles ago. Fear of rekindling what he'd long past considering a circumstantial relationship had prevented his speaking to her then. But what if he should when next he saw her? Would she remember him? Would she care?

Any advice in learning how to live around such large numbers of people couldn't hurt. Setting his teeth, Tryn wedged the chair against the door before crawling carefully out the window. Theresia, he thought, might be able to give him answers. He released his hold on the window ledge and landed on the ground with a small grunt. Mouthing a sorry towards Inara, he turned and strode off, seeking Theresia'a vardo.

Shadows. Everywhere. Too many to count. Too many to fight. She was outnumbered by a hundred to one.

No matter where she looked Inara saw a Shadow and whether they were natural or Caster-made, she did not know. Only aware of her thundering heartbeat and her slick with sweat palms, Inara walked through the Shadow plain. She turned her head to the side, expecting to see Tryn walking beside her, as he had since their paths met leaving Emalnahar, but he wasn't there. She was alone in the windswept grassy plain, surrounded by Shadows. An uncomfortable feeling washed through her, she hadn't been alone for so long… Suddenly the little light that encased the plain vanished and the world was plunged into darkness. With hands raised she groped the air in front of her, fear bubbling in the bottom of her stomach, and she could taste the fear induced bile in the back of her throat. The hairs on the back of her neck raised and Inara stopped dead in her tracks.

"Who's there?" Inara called out, "Reveal yourself!"

It was silent for a moment and then a whisper, somewhere to her left, chilled the air so suddenly it felt as though she was plunged into the dead of winter. "There is nothing of myself to reveal…
Inara Belanor…"

Turning on her heel Inara searched through the darkness, desperate to find the source of that bone chilling whisper. The cold air clung to her like a second skin and she was sticky with perspiration and fear. She trembled from head to toe, fear finding it's way to her heart…

"You have what I want…" The voice proclaimed, but this time it came from right in front of her. "And I am here to claim it…."

Before she could react, before the words had made an impact, light returned to the grassy plain and standing before her was a hulking figure to terrible to behold. Inara screamed though no sound escaped her lips and she took a faltering step backward, every cell within her revulsed at the sight. Lightning quick the figure reached out and his hand, if you could call it that, entered her skin at breast level… and clasped around her beating heart.

"This," the figure said, no longer whispering, "Is mine…"

Nightmares and Memories: Part 2
A Collab between @Red Thunder and @fyrelily

With an actual scream Inara shot awake, clutching her chest, trying to force air into her lungs. The room was pitch-black, and Inara figured the candle had burned out sometime during the night. Slowly getting her breathing under control, she glanced to the corner of the room, where she had sat for hours watching over her travelling companion. In the black before dawn, Inara stood up, still trembling slightly, and walked to the hardback chair she was all too familiar with.

"Tryn…?" Inara asked hesitantly, and with no reply, her heart began to race.

She hurried to the crudely made table the candle had once burned on, and in the dark she fumbled with replacing and relighting it. With trembling hands, she somehow managed to light it and was beyond relief when the room was once again engulfed in light. Confused and something else she couldn't quite put her finger on, Inara sat down upon the edge of the mattress, wondering where Tryn could have gone. Had someone taken him? Did he need her aid? She eyed the chair now that she was able to see and noticed how it had been wedged against the door, effectively blocking any entry.

As she stood up to investigate it further, a noise came from outside the window and Inara, already on edge after her dream, made an awful squeal and reached for her dagger before realizing she had left it with the innkeep.

There was a pause. Nothing, no more sound, came from outside, and it seemed like whatever it was that made it was gone. The early morning, still an hour or two from dawn, spread its shadow into the room from the window. It was pulled to, not shut all the way, and the cool night air filtered in uninvited. With it came the small morning noises: the creak of door as the early risers moved about their own residences, the chirp of the early bird eager for its crawling earthen breakfast, and the changing of the early city guard both on the wall and the streets. Each tiny activity worked in tandem with the others to create a kind of gentle ambiance, itself suggesting a return to a more peaceful sleep than Inara thus far had gotten.

"Dammit!"

It wasn't overly loud, whisper that it was, but it was sharp. More importantly, it was right outside the she-elf's window. The curse was immediately followed by the sudden appearance of a hand on the window sill, gripping it firmly. Another hand shot up, pushing the window out away from the building, thereby creating a nice sized hole through which just about anything remotely person-sized could crawl through, then moved to assist its brother in providing a solid foundation for hoisting up the rest of the body that belonged to them. There was a grunt of exertion, and instantly a shaggy head appeared in the window.

Inara jumped back, her mind making unintended and instinctual connections between her vivid nightmare, Tryn's absence, and the sudden appearance of a stranger in her window. But it was only Tryn, finally returning from a long and remarkably fruitless search for the elusive Theresia. And it was readily apparent that the stress of not finding her, combined with a partial night's sleep and the reliving of this worst memory, was getting to him. He looked far more haggard than he had the night before in the vardo, and there were great circles under his eyes.

As he pulled himself up to belt height on the sill, the woodsman finally noticed that Inara was standing rather farther away than he'd expected.

"Oh!" He muttered sheepishly before hoisting himself the rest of the way. Kicking his legs around, he sat heavily on the window sill. "I'm really sorry. I sure hope I didn't wake you."

In the far corner of the room Inara stooped over mid-crouch. Though her body was poised to defend itself, her eyes were wide with fear. The nightmare had shaken her, possibly even more than the bandit's attack and what transpired afterwards. It had seemed all too real; so solid and vivid and unnerving was that grassy plain. Her heart was beating though and thankfully still where it ought to be. As the moments wore on, a pair of familiar-looking hands, hardy and strong, gripped the windowsill. She slid lower into her crouch as a head popped through the window. A body followed in their wake. It took a moment to recognize Trynten, but once she did Inara slid out of her stance and leaned against the wall behind her. She took a moment to compose herself before glancing back at the window, back at Tryn.

"Wha-" Inara started though not sure where to begin. 'Is everything alright'? is what she meant to ask, but 'What happened to you?' almost came out of her mouth.

"I was already awake," she said vaguely, "but what happened? Is everything… okay?"

Concerned, her eyes roved over Tryn's face, wondering if the darkness under his eyes were from lack of sleep or something else entirely. Inara shivered. The morning air permeated the small, unheated room like the chill in her nightmare. She took a few steps forward, her heart having returned to it's usual gait, and motioned towards the bed.

"You should lie down." Inara said with her arms around her waist. She bent down near the opposite end of the mattress, pulled out her faded black cloak and wrapped herself in its warmth. Walking back to the entrance Inara unwedged the chair and sat down determinedly. "Please. You need your strength."

He snorted, his long locks wagging slightly as he gently shook his head. The western sky was perhaps a touch lighter than it had been, the blue-black of night retreating unwillingly as herald of the impending dawn behind the inn. Weary eyes glanced at it as Tryn turned his head, peering out across the sleepy city to the ominous lines of the Twisted Woods beyond. Someday, he was sure, he would go back into that damned place. And who could say would happen?

"Sleep? No; I've done enough sleeping for now." His brow furrowed. There seemed to be something going on at the gate, some outsider, or perhaps more than one, wanting to be let inside. It was difficult to tell at this distance. Turning slowly back to face her, he dropped his eyes to the floor beneath her. "No, I need to find Theresia. It's what I was doing last night: searching. I have...questions that I fee only she can answer. Not th-"

The woodsman fell suddenly silent, his attention drawn by a lighter shade of color against the dark wooden floor. In the low light of predawn, it was difficult to make out, but it certainly had not been there when he'd barricaded the door hours earlier. He pushed himself off the sill to stalk over the Inara's chair, moving with a speed and directness rather more predatory in nature than he'd intended, so focused was he on discovering what the thing was. Giving almost no attention to Inara or how she reacted to his actions, he moved to her left and bent down beside the chair. His hand darted underneath and back out smoothly, and suddenly there was in his hand a piece of parchment. Stalking back to the window, Tryn tilted it to try to illuminate it by starlight and dawnlight. Of course; it was a note, written in an unfamiliar hand. Not that it mattered whose hand it was written in; Trynten couldn't read. Sighing, he turned back toward Inara, note extended.

"It's a letter of some kind, but I...I don't, um. I can't read."

"So be it." Inara said softly, though concern still peppered her tone. She watched as Tryn stared out the window, probably eyeing the Twisted Forest that lived just beyond Lauderdine's gates, wondering what it meant to him.

Her brow arched in question as Trynten stalked forward, an intensity in his eyes she had yet to see. He bent down to her right, almost brushing against her cloak, and pulled out a piece of parchment. Inara's curiosity spiked; when had that arrived and who would send the pair a note? Only one person came to mind: Theresia.

"It's a letter of some kind, but I… I don't, um. I can't read."

Inara stood and walked to the window, her hand brushing against his arm while reaching for the letter. Her curiosity was momentarily overtaken by a surge of… pity? She wasn't sure. Glancing up at his eyes, Inara furrowed her brows and gave him a quizzical look. "Remind me after we save the world to teach you." She motioned for him to follow her towards the candlelight before reading out loud what the letter contained.

"It's from Theresia…" Inara read. "Meet me in the apothecary's cellar. Your fellowship will be arriving shortly. The Seed of Life is in their possession."

Inara smiled. Her heart lifted and she remembered that Theresia had said it was real, that it was on it's way to Lauderdine. She hadn't believed her in the red vardo… but this time, somehow, she did. Inara lifted her smile to Tryn, hope alive in her eyes.

"Let's get our things from the innkeep and make haste."

In truth, the innkeep seemed glad to be rid of them. Her eyes suspicious yet grateful at the same time. She kept sending furtive glances at Tryn that put Inara on edge. She couldn't help but ponder the reason why. Was she surprised he was still alive? That Inara had done something to harm him? The she-elf took a moment to think of it through her eyes and then threw the thought away in disgust. Still, she managed a forced smile as the woman handed over the last of their weapons and sent them on their way.

It was a short walk to the apothecary Theresia beckoned them to and along the way Inara caught a glimpse through the stables of Teneria and the sorrel stallion she had purchased for Tryn. Her heart lifted evermore at the sight of them and Inara kept a brisk pace until reaching their destination. When they entered, Inara hesitated, before showing the apothecarist the piece of parchment. With merely a glance at Inara's outstretched hand, she motioned for them into the cellar where Theresia waited. Inara glanced at Tryn for a moment, wondering if he'd broach the subject of his nighttime search. When he didn't Inara walked forward and stood by the foreign woman's side, waiting for Shae Pippa's fellowship to arrive.

And arrive they did.

First it was the dark-skinned Maldviri, named Azzara if her memory held true, with the orc Tza'Hal. The latter seemed injured as she sunk to the cellar floor with mortar and pestle, grinding herbs for whatever had embedded itself in her upper thigh. Next came the youth Charlie, a fellow Sur, and she smiled at his excitement. She was glad, that whatever had transpired, he kept his heart full of light. Finally, Wyn and Hal made their way into their midst and the tension grew until it was finally too much to bear.

"May I see it?" Inara asked with hopeful eyes. "May I see the Seed of Life?"

Last edited:
7MWfMaJ.png

The fae of light fluttered onto the desk where the Vuaturi mechanism rested in its uselessness. Laie pushed and fiddled around with the switches and buttons, most of which looked half her size by comparison, as Theresia sat more with the group. Trynten had come to her vardo in the night, so Laie had reported. As a woman keen on information, she was rather curious as to what would compel a man to leave his quarters in a town in constant threat in the dead of night. The intrigue perched itself at the end of her lips in a smirk as she contemplated in quiet, offering small talk to those present as she waited for all to appear. It was strange to her to be a part of something so grand in scale, even if only for this brief portion in time.

Her smirk broadened to a fond smile as she watched Charlie greet his companions in their reunion. Everyone seemed to be rather weary from their journey thus far. The cheery half-elf was a much needed source of proverbial light in the darkness. She looked between Trynten and Inara before looking to Azzara quite thoughtfully. Her eyes roved over the Maldviri with keen interest as she noted the woman with consideration, each item and article jotted within her mind before being cut away by a rather striking Sur. Just her type: rugged, emotions brimming within her face despite the polite air in her greeting, and an underlying longing in her veil of surrounding darkness. But she could practically feel the heat that lingered on her palm that matched the man that entered after her.

"Thank you for all you have done and all you will do," she said to Wynleth in return, offering the elf an inclination of her head before turning to her friend with arms wide open. "Hal, darling, it's been too long!"

It had become a strange travel for Hal, and his struggle only became evident in the subtle and careful movements as he moved into Theresia's embrace. It was as though the movement was stiff, jarred; his range of motion hindered by something unspoken. Theresia pulled back, her warm smile still evident despite the momentary furrowing of her brow in quiet questioning. Her brilliant blue eyes scanned him over before returning to her friendly demeanor.

"I hope you don't mind the intrusion," Hal said with a huff of a laugh. "I sent them all here to you specifically. We weren't sure we would even find the Seed of Life. A shae just mysteriously told us we had to find it. But I didn't want to take any chances. I figured you of all people would know what is going on."

"So you… found the Seed?" Theresia asked in clarification, her eyes fixed on Hal for his answer.

"Yes! Azzara has it," he said excitedly, and to his relief she still carried the satchel on her person. The bulk gave him a sense of relief, and he pointed in the Maldviri's direction with a proud smile. Theresia looked from Hal to the satchel in skepticism, and approached Azzara with a small smile. It seemed at this moment Inara shared her interests in the matter.

"May I?" Theresia asked as she reached towards the satchel. Without waiting for a response, the woman carefully plucked up the bag and removed the Seed contained within. The moss and clover that covered one end was starting to wilt and brown, the soft pulse of green beneath the tangle of roots encasing it faint like a slowing heartbeat. Theresia bit her lower lip in concern, and then looked over towards the vibrant half-elf. Without initial explanation, she placed the Seed in his arms. It weighed about ten pounds. It was like holding a baby even in its size.

"It was cold," she finally explained to Azzara as she wiped off the dirt from her hands.

In the process of watching the strange exchange, Hal noticed Tza'Hal's stance against the shelves and the visible bulk of a broadleaf tied to her thigh. In his concern, he approached the orc and nodded down to her leg. "Is everything alright?" he inquired quietly.

Meanwhile, Theresia's fingers brushed along a tapestry as if writing upon it with her fingertips. A map then appeared across its length of the entire world, the Allied Kingdoms merely a speck of ink upon its expanse. Vast oceans divided three particularly large continents, one of which was oddly circular. It was a rare sight to see a world map, for so few cartographers have traversed the whole surface. This was the only world map that existed in the Allied Kingdoms. Hal didn't quite understand what he was looking at until he saw the words "Allied Kingdoms" scrawled in tiny ledger.

"I brought this over from Estwynd," Theresia said as she pointed over to the mass of land over to the left. "It's rather priceless, and quite the acquisition. Unfortunately, this is not the only map of the world. The Shadow Army has acquired one as well." Her hand moved down to the circular continent. "It is believed that the World Tree presides somewhere in here. There's a strange enchantment about this area where those who go in can't remember a thing when they come out. Many have tried to document their journey through this land to bring back new knowledge, but they either never returned or came back without their journal. The Shadow Army has commandeered their own fleet of ships that patrols the border of the enchantment. The orcs of this land don't seem keen on flying an airship out that far without port, so there are several locations in which you can find harbors with a willing crew."

She turned around to look at those gathered. "Now that we know the Seed of Life is real, you will need to take this Seed to the World Tree before the Shadow Army can find it. I know they have sent casters within to scout the land, but as you can see, it is quite large. They have encampments along the shoreline designed to provide long distant communications through signals. So far, they are unsure if it is effective, which is hopefully good on our end. The less they can communicate, the better."

Theresia gave a moment's pause before continuing.

@Elle Joyner @Red Thunder @Cloudily @SpaceCowboyEin @fyrelily @Doctor Jax

[bg=#B8904D]
Z3twmzI.png

no-lightbox
It was a lot , coming back together, seeing everyone again, taking everything in. Not for the first time since joining the expedition, she felt vaguely out of sorts, out of place and entirely unqualified to be there. Theresia wasn't exactly what she'd expected - a fascinating woman, beautiful and elegant, possessed of a certain natural sensuality that Wyn couldn't hope to emulate. She greeted Hal and Wyn felt her cheeks warm as the woman wrapped him up in her arms.

The moment passed quickly and her eyes twitched around the room again as Hal explained the reason for their arrival. Theresia was quick and authoritative and in a few swift movements she handed the Seed to Charlie with an odd passing comment and was moving on to the tapestry, spindling her fingers along the surface. As the enormous, majestic map appeared across the face of the tapestry, Wyn stared in awe...

She'd always known the world was so big. Bigger than Emalnahar, certainly, but never had she imagined it was quite so large. By comparison, her own little corner seemed minuscule. And every inch of it would some day be plagued by the Shadow if they failed in their mission. It made it all so real, so imminent. And so important. As Theresia explained what was next, where they were headed, Wyn leaned to look, frowning softly.

"...If we could secure passage again, an airship would undoubtedly save us time on the journey, but without knowing where their encampments are, it's risky coming into port on the shoreline. If there were a way to scout ahead... or a way to ensure the ship wouldn't be seen..."

TAGS: @Effervescent, @errybodyelse
[/bg]

CHARLIE REDDEMAN
Lauderdine

Both Tza'Hal and Azzara reacted rather stiffly to Charlie's greeting; he probably should've expected it, but still. "I'm glad to see that you're still in good shape and good spirits." Said Azzara, and Charlie nodded in response, but Tza'Hal only offered him a pat on the back. He had hardly even noticed the wrap around her leg, as in Charlie's mind nothing really could seem to knock the strong orc off of her feet. Shame they were so intent on being so hardy. After everyone had finally made their way inside, Inara asked to see the Seed. Charlie shared a glance with the elf, excitement glimmering in his eyes because of hers.

Theresia was a surprisingly enchanting woman, Charlie listening to her return the thanks to Wynleth and then envelop Hal in a deep embrace. Hal seemed stiff; not as friendly as Charlie had first met the man. Charlie's smile faltered in just the slightest as he wondered if they would all end up being alright after this; they'd gotten the Seed but only half of the journey had been completed.

Speaking of the Seed, Charlie's eyes flickered over Theresia as she took the Seed from Azzara. The moment she held it in her hands, worrisome thoughts swarmed Charlie. What if Theresia was evil? What if she was part of the shadow army? What if this was wrong and she was a traitor? But Hal knew this person, apparently knew her well. It couldn't be. He was worrying for nothing.

And then she plopped the Seed in his hands.

For the second time, it had been shoved into his hands and neither times was he prepared. A small squeak of surprise left Charlie's mouth as he changed his stance to grip the Seed better -- god, it was heavy -- as he listened to Theresia say, "It was cold,". The Seed looked.. different, from before. It looked a little wilted on one corner of it. Was it hurt? Was it gonna be okay? It.. did kinda feel cold. Was he supposed to burn it? Did Theresia want him to burn it! No, no, no. Of course she didn't want that. He was just.. warmer. Because of his attunement.

He'd held many a child before but the Seed felt different to hold. He glanced back up at Inara and then moved closer to her, allowing her to see the Seed as Theresia pulled out the map. Or, well, the big tapestry that turned into a map. His eyes widened and his mouth fell open as he stared. It was monstrous. Sure, the world was big, but to see it documented like that right in front of him.. well, it was apparently much bigger than he'd expected. If the Shadow Army had one too, it certainly couldn't be good.

Charlie really couldn't offer a great suggestion as to how they would travel to find the world tree, but he did listen intently as he held the Seed. "We could ride my dragon friend there," Charlie finally said, giving a little laugh. "Though I think that'd be just as noticeable as an airship.. but at least it'd have defense."

Trynten Lothorsen
images
"That would draw far too much attention to ourselves, Mr. Reddeman."

Trynten had taken up a position in the cellar's doorway, giving himself a clear view of everything in the place, as well as a position of offense if anyone were to interrupt their meeting. His signature pipe sat clenched solidly between his teeth, and a gray line floated up from it. His head had since remained downward, as if he were staring a hole into the cellar's flagstones, but his eyes, wary as ever, peered out from the shadow of his brow, as if he were secretly inspecting each person there. It seemed as though he and Inara had been the last ones to join the rendezvous, despite their proximity, so he had yet to greet any of them. His eyes lingered in particular on Azzara, filled with hesitant regret, before moving on to stare at the seed in Charlie's hands. It was the largest seed of any kind he had ever seen, though perhaps for something as monumentally fundamental as the Tree that was being described, an oversized seed wasn't that difficult a thing to take on faith. It was odd, though; if they hadn't mentioned it as the Seed, he'd have mistaken it for a stone.

But stone or Seed, getting it to this island would be exceedingly difficult. Particularly considering the threat Theresia described. The young man's idea was ludicrous: even had Charlie actually found a dragon, getting such a beast to take them all was not feasible, for not even considering the distance shown on the map, they were far too many to carry at distance at all. But it bespoke his optimism, and though it certainly needed grounding, it itself was no bad thing. Raising an eyebrow after a moment's consideration, Tryn turned to Azzara, eyes resting on the wall beside her arm.

"Maybe the Maldviri could be of help? Might they have fast enough ships to get past whatever blockade the Shadow Army may have formed?"

@Cloudily @SpaceCowboyEin @OhAndEveryoneElseToo

Tza'Hal
Lumin of the Order of the Lynx

Tza'Hal watched Theresia with a hawk's eye, the foreign woman striking her, not only as odd, but also as a potential enemy. While she knew that Hal trusted the woman and thought her knowledgeable, it was difficult for Tza'Hal to completely put her trust in someone she'd just met. While the woman may not mean any harm to the world at large -- and in fact may rightly be trying to save it -- the world had been burned by more than one great crusader trying to bring the world to rights. She sincerely hoped that whatever she had in mind, their deaths would not be foremost on the table.

Theresia immediately went for the Seed of Life, and Tza'Hal found herself reaching for her spear - only to realize that she had long lost it to the neck of some Baladuri archer. The memory of the man's choked scream as he was struck rang in her mind, and her master's disapproving face impressed itself upon her. Shame filled her gut, but she refused to back away from owning that death. She would take her punishment later. For now, there was a world at stake.

The orc calmed only when Theresia handed it to Charlie, perhaps the least -- or potentially most, given his general naivete -- dangerous person to possibly hang on to the Seed. He seemed rather aghast, and Tza'Hal 'harrumph'ed with amusement.

"Take care you don't drop that thing, Charlie boy, else you'll have the world's destruction on your head. I can think of a few leaders who'd be jealous of that honor..." Tza'Hal ribbed him.

Hal inquired of her leg suddenly, and the orc's stubbling eyebrows rose in question. Then, realizing what it was he was dithering about, she waved him off noncommittally, seeing it as a non-issue.

"Baladuri archers are renowned for making pincushions of people. I was lucky to only be pricked by one. The arrowhead will force its way out on its own. For now, I'll make do for looking like some faerie native," Tza'Hal assured Hal. "Though should i come to any hardship, I will be sure you are the first I notify."

For the unfamiliar, Tza'Hal's words strode the border of sarcasm and authenticity. It was Hal's call to make of her statement.

Then, Theresia broke out the world map, and Tza'hal immediately fell in love. A complete world map... And a tapestry to boot. Tza'Hal had only heard of these, the Order scouring the annals of countless cities in their bid to find one. It was of monstrous size, and Tza'Hal moved towards it as if in a trance, her hands briefly touching it before yanking them back, as if she would accidentally catch the thing on fire. It was in loving condition, obviously well cared for. Theresia, you wench, you've got a place in my good book. Tza'Hal traced the paths on the map, walking with her fingers where her feet had long trod the land.

Her head only jerked up at Charlie's mention of a dragon, her brow furrowed. Tryn followed up, and Tza'Hal scoffed as she looked back at the blank section of the map.

"Pah! Maldviri ships will sink faster than a lead weight, and finding an island by water is like finding a tall tree amidst smaller trees while you're at the forest floor. Their ships are made for minimum travel time -- not particularly good search ships. Without a destination, it would flounder. Air travel is best. And dragon? Perhaps only if some of you have been smoking ganja." Her eyes cut to Charlie, and her stare was piercing, obviously beckoning for explanation. Her caustic remark, however, belied her curiosity.

"Smugglers are what you need, and orc smugglers at that. Airships can be made silent as the grave, and a smuggler is fast, quiet, and, best of all, discrete. They have no more love for the Shadow than we. I know a captain, and he may have trustworthy contacts in the port cities. Searching by air will also make finding a shy landmass that much easier. More coverage, see. Wyn, if it is lasting power you worry of, worry not for long -- smuggler cargo ships regularly last days or weeks to get around blockades from other orc authorities." She gestured with her hand to the air as she looked down at the map again.

God, what she'd do to keep this thing!

@Cloudily @Red Thunder @SpaceCowboyEin @Effervescent @Elle Joyner

Last edited:
Inara Belanor
Inara struggled with the amount of emotion flowing within her. Theresia never failed to surprise and the she-elf eyed the foreign woman with reverence. From that moment on her gaze sought two things: the Seed of Life resting in Charlie's arms and the tapestry Theresia had revealed to be a world map. She took turns memorizing the cartographic wonders and the moss and clover covered Seed. Though magnificent in it's meaning, the Seed was rather… anticlimactic. It looked afflicted, half of it wilted and forlorn. Inara furrowed her brows in thought but remained silent.

The map was an entirely different story and the elf felt blessed to see such rare and wondrous things in such a short amount of time. Her eyes roved over the map, caught between memorizing and being mesmerized. She knew the world was a large place, but never in her wildest dreams had she imagined it being so giant. So many thoughts and questions ran through her mind. Were there places in worse shape than the Allied Kingdoms? Places torn asunder by the Shadow they desperately fought to out maneuver? Were their Dragon Wardens in one of those giant land masses? Magic that was unheard of here?

Her mind halted its rapid questioning and she listened to the injured orc. Though the last thing she wanted to do was leave the comfortibility of her beloved earth, the orc spoke sagaciously.

Inara nodded her head as she spoke to Shae Pippa's fellowship, her eyes passing over Tryn as she did so. Only the two of them had refused to take the airship north. Here it seemed that there was no longer an option of bowing out.

"Tza'Hal's right. Though I don't want to step foot in one of those flying death traps, the orc is right."

Last edited:
7MWfMaJ.png

A smirk curled upon her lips like a hook, and Theresia looked over at Wynleth thoughtfully. An airship would be suitable transportation given time restraints and the Twisted Woods that blocked their direct path Westward. Charlie's mention of having a 'dragon friend' piqued the woman's curiosity considerably, her head canting ever so slightly in the notion. Neither Wynleth nor Hal corrected the exuberant half-elf in his claim, nor did they show signs of disbelief. She suddenly found herself distracted, wanting to know more of this alleged dragon friend.

Tza'Hal had dismissed Hal's concerns, and in retrospect he understood. There was a brief moment where he stepped back and wondered just why he had essentially thrown himself at the Orc at the sight of an injury. His concerns only worsened after learning of what afflicted her. Why did he care so much? And it struck him as he looked at everyone gathered. There was an unmistakable urge and overwhelming desire to protect those around him. Most of them were still practically strangers, yet he knew he would do anything for them to stay alive, and this feeling was rather dangerous. There was still part of him at least that understood what he felt was not a good thing when faced with a foe as powerful as the Shadow Army. He looked away from them all, embarrassed of his hidden irrational compulsions, and looked to the map.

Wynleth and Tza'Hal were for the use of an airship while Trynten proposed Maldviri transport ships. Tza'Hal had the best plan so far, but there was only one person out of the adamant land party that agreed to fly. Perhaps it would take some convincing for Trynten to continue past this point.

Theresia pointed to the land West of the Allied Kingdoms called Edros. "Orc smugglers regularly fly all through Edros," she stated. "They have built sky ports there as well to accommodate as the trade is profitable enough on both ends. Thallas and Flanedrin does not know of the orcish relations with the other lands aside from their quiet buyers of exotic goods."

"Where is that captain you know of currently ported?" Hal asked Tza'Hal. He then approached the map and pointed towards the Fabled Land. "Can they get us here? I know where we have to go. Exactly where we have to go in here. There's an opening at the base of the World Tree… We have to put the Seed of Life in there. I know how to get to that opening. The Seed showed me."

@Red Thunder @fyrelily @Elle Joyner @Cloudily @SpaceCowboyEin @Doctor Jax

[bg=#B8904D]
Z3twmzI.png

no-lightbox
Charlie's suggestion was a fairly solid reminder of why she found him so endearing. It had been an experience he'd never forget and one that would undoubtedly shape his life, but that he consciously desired to use that experience to aid them... Maybe it was a little naive, as Trynten seemed to suggest, but it was heart warming all the same. For all the weight the journey put on him, for the apprehension he held in his own confidence, he was truly a benefit to their group in ways she wasn't sure he even understood.

They all had their purpose, she supposed... a reason for being there. She was even beginning to trust as much about her own role on their journey, though it wasn't entirely clear just yet what exactly it was.

Tza'hal's voice filled the small room and looking up, she caught the odd expression that crossed Hal's face. It was brief and gone as quickly as it came, but as he moved closer to the table she found herself reaching out anyhow, a delicate brush against the back of his hand - as much a comforting gesture as she dared to make in such a large group. The compassion... the empathy he had for others ... for all of them seemed to come almost at his detriment sometimes, and it seemed only fair, only right that someone ought to care for him with as much deliberate intensity.

Plans were passed around the table, some viable, some less so, and Hal explained his part with a respectable authority - and rather quickly, their direction seemed apparent. Nodding, Wyn looked over the map again, "It seems pretty clear airship is the best way to go, and it certainly seems the safest bet. We could debate for hours, but it's really just a matter of logistics, isn't it? It's quicker, quieter, easier to cover our approach... and with virtually hidden ports, we've got half a chance of getting in undetected. It's a risk, certainly... but it seems to be the smallest risk, all things considered. And with that..." She gestured to the Seed, still coddled gingerly as a child in Charlie's arms, "In our possession... the sooner we leave, the better. I can't imagine we'll be able to continue much longer without drawing attention to ourselves. And that much we don't need..."

TAGS: @Effervescent, @Cloudily @errybodyelse
[/bg]

Tza'Hal
Lumin of the Order of the Lynx

The orc looked up as both Hal and Wyn spoke. She was glad that they were agreeing without a fuss! Good. It would save them quite a lot of precious time. It seemed that they were in agreement about using an airship, which pleased her. She straightened up with a wince, and she answered Hal's question.

"The captain I know is stationed about half a day from here. I'll need the use of a messenger to get the word out to him, but he is a swift flier, and I've put the fear of the gods in him before," the monk said, smacking the back of her right hand into her left with a slight smirk. "If I told him to be here yesterday, he'd ask me 'what time'. He himself can't take us into these lands, though. Too risky. He has children."

She gestured to the area that Hal had pointed to, encircling the fuzzy, half-formed isles rising out of the tapestry.

"He is an honest trader, and he can't stand to lose his license. But the ones who're not so honest... he knows where they are. They are the ones who'd be willing to go there. But... of course, everything comes with a price. We'd have to haggle. More than anything, we can't disclose that we have the Seed to start. I trust their abilities, not their conscience," Tza'Hal said cautiously. "They're a hard lot. Are you prepared for that? We may be fighting a war on two fronts to get there."

She glanced at Hal. There was also the matter that she wasn't sure how much she trusted Hal's memory. Yes, he'd gotten them this far -- but magic was a finicky beast. They did not follow the cut-and-dried laws of parabolic formulae, in which a single solution existed for a single problem set. No, you could do the same thing twice in magic, and you might end up with two different outcomes, and that kind of flux put her on edge. What of it if they came to an island, and Hal was led right into a trap? Or some piece of Shadow trickery did not worm into his mind while she was away with Azzara?

@Cloudily @Red Thunder @SpaceCowboyEin @Effervescent @Elle Joyner

~Trynten Lothrosen~

So many thoughts, so many concerns. So many different choices to make. Ultimately it seemed to not fall to him to make them, and for that he was grateful. Not to say he welcomed being trapped Maker knew how far above the expansive ocean for Maker knew how long in what amounted to little more than a flying wooden box with his companions. He'd lock himself in a room and stay there the whole, like as not, praying that no cause came for him to leave it until they made berth.

Though it seemed even getting to the ocean to fly over it might be difficult. Tza'Hal expressed her thoughts, an odd mixture of concern and...hesitant enthusiasm? as she described her contacts. Things were lining up, it seemed.

"We have able fighters in our number, should it come to that," Tryn stated matter-of-factly. If they were to undertake this task, and go aboard that blasted airship, best to do it with no reservations. "Not everything has to be divulged to our couriers. Some secrets should remain so; in them we have power."

Or weakness.

He immediately fell silent, and regardless of what might further be said amongst his companions, he was instead consumed by his own thoughts. Yes, his secret was a weakness, despite his use of it in a desperate time, for his lack of control over it meant it was a liability. His eyes flicked over to her; he had no wish to expose her that liability more than he had. His gaze strayed to Theresia. This woman it seemed knew far more than even she'd yet told him and Inara. His late night attempt to track her down had led nowhere, but now, perhaps, he could take her aside for advice. Leaning forward, he pushed off the wall against which he'd leaned and stalked cautiously to Theresia. At her side he faced the wall and inclinded his head so as to minimize any words others might overhear.

"If I may," the woodsman began, trying to choose his words carefully, "there is a matter of weight that I would discuss with you. Preferably alone."

The words could perhaps have been mistaken for something entirely unintended, but the gravity in his tone made it quite plain that it was more serious in nature.

Theresia took note of Trynten's vicinity, her body turning to match his discretion as her lips curled to a smirk. This was, perhaps, the answer to her questions in regards to his appearance at her vardo the night before. Her head dipped knowingly as her fingers curled within his hand unabashedly to lead him over to the other corner across the cellar. Shelves of surplus and goods blocked the line of sight as she brought him around a corner where the cellar led up into the apothecary.

"This is about as alone as we can get," Theresia said with a playful air suggesting double entendre. "Now... What is this weighty matter you wish to discuss?"

"Uh-"

Dammit. Her coy playfulness caught him entirely off guard, so when she pulled him into a discretionary location, hand entwined in his, Trynten momentarily lost his train of thought. It was saved soon after, however, and he managed to regain his composure.

"I tried to fine, er, find you last night, actually, warnings about wandering the streets in the dark aside." He shifted his weight uneasily. This was maybe the first time he'd actually addressed it, and it was exceedingly difficult. Even so, he couldn't bring himself to actually name the issue. "I'm concerned, Theresia; I'm concerned for the liability I am to my companions, particularly contained in a flying wooden box as we will be."

He paused to scratch his beard pensively. Suddenly his voice dropped even lower, until he was speaking in little better than a whisper.

"I...I'm..." Dammit. "I'm Shadow-Touched. I don't know who knows about it, though I'm certain Inara suspects." This was so damn awkward. "I've no thought how to address the issue, or how to right it. But you seem a wise woman; there is besides something about you that's...familiar. So it makes sense to me to bring my concern to you."

Tryn stopped and inhaled deeply. There; it was said. Now to see what the woman said.

Her smirk turned to a warm smile as she gave his hand a squeeze before releasing. "I know what you are," she said quietly in return, though her voice somehow kept its melodious nature. "And you know that I am too. There is a way to keep the urge in check... Well, for the most part. It takes a considerable effort, but it can be done to where you can eventually choose when you turn and remain completely aware once in the other form." She nods her head in the direction of the group, mostly unseen from the corner in which they presided. "Does she know? The Maldviri?"

Trynten's mind immediately flashed back to his meeting with her in southern woods of Eversyth. There had fortunately been no instance of his...panic during the week or so that he'd interacted with her. Which was lucky; he'd found himself relieved and very glad to see her again.

"I don't think so," he muttered hesitantly. "I've not spent a terrible amount of time with her, all things considered, so the chance never came for her to learn. Thank the Maker..."

Theresia turned her eyes away from Azzara to look upon Trynten once again, her amusement forming back into the smirk she held so often. "If you want to learn to control it, you'll have to tell her," she said. "Her Inner Light is your antithesis. She can counteract the change. It's good that you know each other. Trust is something necessary in the whole process."

She paused thoughtfully as her gaze roved over Trynten's rustic looking form. "I came to this continent specifically to find a Maldviri," she said in almost a whisper. "I had heard of a man who was curing the Taint; a man of Inner Light. Iballat. And I found him. He could detect when I was about to change and he used his Inner Light to keep it at bay until I could come to understand what caused the urge. And eventually I learned to control when I changed to the point where he did not have to channel the Light into me anymore. Which, thank the Maker, that was a rather painful process. For whatever reason, because it is now my will to change, I now retain my will when changed. I can make my own choices and think as myself."

She pointed back over at Azzara. "She can do that for you. You just have to ask. But once you've gained control, you may be strong enough to endure the cure. It's...a rather risky procedure, from what I understand. Not many make it out of the process alive. Instead of short bursts of Inner Light to keep the Taint at bay, it's a constant stream until the Taint is burned away from your soul. But... not only is it risky for you, as it could be your death, but it is also a sacrifice of the caster's Inner Light. They go without their magic in order to remove your curse, and often in vain."

Sacrifice the caster's Inner Light.

Tryn didn't know if he could ask that of her. Beyond not actually knowing Azzara terribly well, he remembered having the distinct feeling that it was an inate part of her identity. His eyes fell, and his spirit followed. He might be able to learn to live with it; he had figured out the trigger on his own, after. But even that it seemed involved putting the Maldviri at risk. Inara had alread had to face that danger; he couldn't, he wouldn't, do it to someone else. Feeling perhaps far lower than he had since his time in the Twisted Woods, the woodsman nodded his head and pulled his pipe from his mouth from where it had sat as he listened to Theresia.

"Thank you. I appreciate the..the advice."

With a sad smile, he turned away and stepped back to the door, doing his best to come either come to terms with his situation or to work up to courage to speak to Azzara about the responsibility he would need her to undertake.

@Effervescent

Azzara Omari
Lauderdine

Once everyone had settled, it came time to get down to business. Theresia was a lively one and it was more than Azzara could say for herself coming back from her troubles in Baladur. The fight that she had initiated there played through her mind for the first time and she questioned if it was the right choice. It was a hard conclusion to come to. She felt no remorse killing the slavers, and in the moments after she'd seen the deaths of two slaves as an unfortunate result of her actions. She had felt strong after pulling the shade from Charlie's chest, but now she felt weaker than she did before with the Inner Light. Only now, when it was too late did it come to her that years of 'right' choices could be undone by her own knee jerk reactions. Not to mention, she hardly noticed Tza'Hal's injuries until she was working to heal her leg. had she truly been that blind from battle? It left her sullen in her thoughts until the topic of the Seed came promptly into the conversation. She didn't fancy the Seed being taken from her in such an immediate way, but was left wondering at her reasoning for doing so in the first place.

"Cold..." She repeated under her breath. Was it to do with her Inner Light, or another factor that she had not thought of. Magic, maybe?

But soon enough her eyes were drawn off to the map that Theresia had produced. She'd never seen a map of the world before, but her tutor had, and gave the best verbal explanation of their world as he could. Just like then, she took in everything she saw and heard and committed it to memory. These were details she couldn't afford to forget. They knew where they had to go, the only issue now was getting there. Theresia suggested travel by airship, and soon after Trynten with Maldviri ships then Charlie with a..dragon. The thought brought a smirk to her face. He truly didn't like airships, did he? She was proud of her homeland, but even she knew Maldviri ships were inferior to Orc Engineering. Still, it did sting to hear those thoughts come out of Tza'Hal's mouth in more...colorful terms.

She remained a fly on the wall for the better part of the deabte on transportation, but once they settled on an airship, she chimed in. "I agree with Trynten. If we must pay them more to keep them on a 'need to know' basis then so be it. The safety of the Seed is our top priority." She paused, hearing Trynten asking to speak to their benefactor privately. She obliged him and the two went off to a corner of the room to converse just out of earshot. She shook the concern of their conversation topic and continued on by turning to Hal.

"We should also start to act under the idea that you may not be the only one with these visions. We shouldn't discount the possibility what happened at the Mouth of the Mountain being due to nature or more sinister forces. I expect a hard fought trip, and if we get to the Isle unscathed, then we're likely being watched still. Those who work with the Shadow are nefarious and it'd be best to leave nothing to chance against them."

Her eyes momentarily shifted to Trynten and Theresia as they returned the room. Tryn looked no better coming back than he did going in. Had something happened during his trip? Or was he truly dead set on not stepping foot onto a flying boat. She hoped not, there was still much she wanted to discuss with an old companion.

White pointy stick that is not an arm
Hal Midigan @Effervescent & Charlie Reddeman @CloudyBlueDay

The population of the room began to scatter, a little time to breathe before the were on the road once more. Charlie hadn't quite thought about how long the journey would actually be. The picture that he'd painted in his head when he first left home, however, had definetly changed now. He'd imagined saving the world and then coming to Syth like he'd always meant to, the only part different was that he'd arrive as a hero rather than another old elf who wanted to learn.

Syth seemed so very far away, and the thought of it made him weary with exhaustion. How would he ever even get back? If he wasn't first killed by shades or volcano eruptions. He shook his head to clear away the thoughts, but Charlie wondered how long just pushing them back would do him any good. Syth was something he had to think about later; the battle wasn't over, not even close, and it was slowly dawning on the young half elf that he'd gotten himself into more than he'd expected.

Charlie moved closer towards Hal. Something had changed in the man since the Keep. His family, his brothers and father. Missing. Charlie had no blood family but there were people he could not imagine losing. Images the Shade had instilled, the burnt bones of all the half elves at the home, still clung to him. Perhaps that was not exactly what Hal was experiencing, but.. Surely it had to come close.

Charlie gently nudged Hal, shoulder to shoulder, trying to catch his eye so that he could smile at the Baladur. Charlie did look a little tired, but the smile was still bright. It was if Charlie ran on adrenaline practically every moment of the day.

"The dragon gave me this weird white stick," Charlie proclaimed, reaching into his bag. "Wanna see? It's pointy."

Hal had fixated on the continent labeled "The Fabled Lands." The same vision given to him by the Seed of Life played over and over in his mind. His brow furrowed somewhat after a moment of reflection. Had there been a vision before? No, it was a feeling at first. A feeling that built upon itself the closer they got to Lauderdine. He was beginning to question the validity of his own mind when Charlie nudged shoulders. Hal looked over at the half-elf and lofted a brow curiously.

"The dragon gifted you something?" he asked.

"Mhmn," Charlie said with a large nod, pulling out the gift and holding it out to Hal. It certainly did have a pointy end, one sharp enough to pierce flesh. "I'm not sure if it's a "gift", 'cause he spit it out of his mouth, but he really wanted me to have it." Charlie studied the thing a little more closely now - it's surface was not quite like a branch of a withered tree. In fact, it did look like the bones that he'd seen in his visions. Charlie swallowed. No, it couldn't actually be. It was just his mind playing tricks on him.

Hal immediately knew what he was holding as soon as Charlie produced it. There was still avid interest, for it was quite assuredly a bone. He took it in his own hands to observe it further, taking note of the preservation it had undergone within the dragon's mouth. Looking over to the young half-elf, it seemed he was starting to realize his gifted branch was more than that. He handed it back to Charlie with a small chuckle.

"It's quite sharp," he said. "It could come in handy as a weapon, I think. Perhaps the dragon is looking out for you."

Hal looked closely at the thing before handing it back, passing it off as a weapon and nothing more, but Charlie had already begun to form suspicions about it. He took it back a bit more tentatively than before. "I don't know, I think I would've preffered it if it was some sort of healing stick or something."

Charlie paused again, rolling it over in his hands. "Is it... is it a bone?" Charlie murmured, looking to become a little pale at the thought.

"Ah..." Hal contemplated confirming Charlie's suspicions in the matter. He looked weary enough as it was, but he also looked far too intuitive to effectively veil what his mind had already pieced together. "Yes. That is a bone."

He plucked the bone out of his hand delicately and held it up to Charlie's forearm. "It's one of these bones," Hal explained. "One of the ones that allow your hand to move from side to side. The marrow is all gone, but I'm guessing it hardened in the dragon's mouth. Who knows for how long."

Charlie's eyes widened when Hal took the (now confirmed) bone and sized it up to the half elf's own forearm. Charlie flinched at the sight, pulling his arm back, looking rather horrified. "All the marrow is gone?" Charlie echoed, not quite understanding if that was bad or good. A look of fear danced in his eyes, the image that terrified him so was stuck in his mind.

Charlie looked like he had a lot to say but no sound came out, instead he brought his arm up again to compare it to the bone. "Oh." He finally said. "So the dragon ate someone. And then gave it to me." He mumbled. "..I feel kind of sick." He whispered.

Hal grimaced at the thought of a dragon eating a person and then giving a bone of its victim to Charlie after flying together. Hal ran his fingers through his hair contemplatively as he decided it was best to consider his words before continuing the conversation. He turned the bone in his hand and cleared his throat.

"That's not necessarily true," Hal said. "Dragons were never creatures to eat people. It's likely this was something a little sad for the dragon. Maybe this was the arm of a person the dragon was trying to save. It would make more sense for it to give you this as an apology than it would be as something ominous." His voice trailed off. It was still a person's broken bone picked clean of flesh and marrow.

Charlie looked back up at Hal, trying to process the new option he'd been presented with. Yeah, maybe.. Maybe the dragon was trying to help. He looked nice, the dragon. He'd let him ride on his back. That was a sign of a nice dragon. Right? Maybe Hal had a point after all. It did make him feel a bit better.

Charlie nodded along to the idea, sucking in a long breath to calm his queasy stomach. "I think that makes sense." He murmured, his gaze going back to the bone in Hal's grasp. "Hal, are you alright?" Charlie said, a bit out of the blue, without even looking at the man's face. "I know the whole thing at the mountain was.. it was.. messy." He couldn't find a better word for it, really. Charlie, still, never brought his gaze back up to Hal, even though his face was still twisted with worry and concern, likely for both Hal and the gift.

The question took him aback, and he looked over at Charlie with surprise. Was how he felt that noticeable? He felt like he had fallen down the largest tree and hit every branch along the way. But there was no real reason for him to feel any different than Charlie or Wynleth. They had endured the same physical ordeals, and out of the three Wynleth was the only one to press on with an injury. He was thankful his family and friends made it out of danger with Charlie and Wynleth's aid, and he did feel rather sad about the casualties. The disappearance of his father and brothers also weighed heavily on his heart, and he worried about them considerably. Perhaps it was that concern that brought about Charlie's question. He had always worn his emotions on his sleeve so readily to be seen. Hal held out the bone before Charlie once again to return it, and gave the half-elf a faint smile.

"I'll be fine, Charlie," he assured. "We saved my home and all those people. And the mountain's fire could not reach them with the help of a dragon; your dragon friend. But my father and my brothers were not home when the mountain exploded. They had been gone for days, so I've been worried about them."

Charlie gingerly took the bone back, weighing it in his hands a moment before placing it back in his bag, now finally looking back up at Hal. It was true that they'd saved a majority, yes, with the help of the dragon, but with Hal's missing relatives and the casualties Charlie knew that none of them were feeling too great. "It's alright if you're not fine for a while, you know." Charlie said, his tone serious and meaningful. "We'd all forgive you. I know we're still not close to the finish but it's.. Important to not fine or a little bit, so you can be fine later on." Charlie returned Hal's faint smile. "I'm sure your brothers and father will turn up."

"I'll be alright," he assured with a small huff of a laugh to brush it all away. "But what of you? How are you holding up since the Shade? Since all of it, really. I guess I've been so focused on getting here I've been a bit neglectful. I'm sorry about that."

Charlie gave a quick shrug, aware of how quickly Hal had turned the topic away from his own problems. "It wasn't your job to check up on me. It's fine." Charlie paused after that, realizing he was about to claim that he was fine too, just after telling Hal that it was okay not to be.

"...I've been better." Charlie said. "On top of the Shade and everything, I've never really left home before this, so.. I think I'm doing pretty alright for that."

"You know," Hal said, arms crossing as he leaned against the wall. "You've still traveled farther than I ever have in my life. Baladur is a big kingdom, but the more North you go, the more difficult it is to travel. But even this far, to Lauderdine, is pretty big. Did you see the Twisted Woods out there? And magic!" He paused as he remembered Charlie's attunement to fire, a chuckle escaping him heartily. "Well, I guess magic isn't as exciting for you. You are doing pretty alright for getting out of your comfort zone, though. All of this new world and you've made it this far. And we seem to be in very good company."

Charlie face lit up as Hal's did too. At the mention of the Twisted Woods and then magic, the big grin came back and Charlie was beaming. He nodded fiercely along to the other bits, about good company and doing well thus far, but he was already distracted.

"Are you kidding? Magic is the most exciting thing for me! I was gonna go to Syth and everything, but just as I was getting ready to leave, I got the letter for this, and.. But I love magic." You could see Charlie was absolutely thrilled to discuss the topic. "I'd love to show you sometime! I miss practicing it. Has Wyn showed you any?"

Charlie's question immediately brought Hal's thoughts back to the Mouth of the Mountain. Wynleth had confessed she wasn't the best at her magic. The ice she had cast crystalized and frosted over the Seed of Life, bursting it with energy that was enough force to send him backwards. It was through her magic the Seed of Life communicated to him to let him know where they needed to take it.

"Wyn showed me a little," Hal said. "But I'd love to see more of your magic! The flames you produced back in the mountains were impressive. What's in Syth that you've missed out on?"

Charlie's cheeks reddened at Hal's compliment, but the half-elf didn't linger on it, with such an exciting question to attend too. "Syth has the Academy of Magic," Charlie began to explain. "It's the best place to study but what really want is to become a Master." At least, in Charlie's book such was true. "There's a ceremony and Elder Lannya gives you the title and -- I always wanted that. I wanted to learn to be the best. I'm still gonna go, after we're done saving the world and all." Charlie beamed.

Hal understood what that title meant even if he couldn't actually comprehend the extent of study one would need to become a Master of their magic. "Elder Lannya?" He repeated the name. She sounded fairly important due to her own title. His elders were all marked by that title, but it was his king that presided over anything ceremonial. "How difficult is it to become a Master?"

"Yeah, Elder Lannya! She's really old. Thousands of years old." Charlie blabbed. "She raised me. She raises all the half elves. Because -- well, it's kinda complicated -- but half elves have to be given up, so.. Elder Lannya takes care of them." He nodded fiercely along to his own talk. "Oh, um.. It's.. hard." Charlie shrugged. "Probably pretty hard, yeah. I never got to the Academy so I don't really know, but not everyone becomes a master so I don't think it's that easy, you know."

Everything Charlie said was a culture shock for Hal. He had heard of elves living far longer than humans, but he never imagined any of them being thousands of years old. His eyes moved between Inara and Wynleth with the thought. Just how old were they? He looked back at Charlie and wondered the very same. "Well," he said, "you seem a natural at fire. I'm sure you'll be a Master in no time. Will this mean I will have to call you Master Reddeman? Seems rather fitting. Rolls off the tongue well."

Charlie's eyes nearly popped out of his head at that. "O-o-oh -- well, I don't think you'd have to call me that all the time, but.. it does sound kind of nice." Charlie blushed again and rubbed the back of his head. "Thanks, Hal. It means a lot. I'll definetly do some magic for you sometime." Charlie grinned.

Another small chuckle escaped him as he noticed he had embarrassed Charlie. Hal gave him a pat on the shoulder as Trynten returned to the group. "I look forward to it," he said to the half-elf.

7MWfMaJ.png

Hal looked over at Tza'Hal as the Orc posed her warning in question. "A war on two fronts?" he repeated, his brow furrowing in concern at the prospect. "We may be able to manage it with enough coin. How much does everyone have? We can pool together if need be."

There was the faintest hint of an unsettled demeanor about Theresia as she followed behind Trynten. Her fingers combed through her raven hair, the pads brushing along the hidden Taint in thought. It didn't feel like anything to the touch, yet it also still felt different more internally. She had the option of curing herself of this bane and burden. Iballat had offered it to her after a year of travels and tribulations. The memory was solemn in the forefront of her mind, and she pushed it away with a brightened smile as she returned back to the tapestry map.

"I am rather exited for you all," she said as her fingers moved across the woven fabric. To travel the world was quite enticing, but to go to the Fabled Lands was even more so. But the lines that comprised each continent flickered and suddenly disappeared. Theresia's hand quickly raised from the tapestry, pausing in confusion as the map was no longer present. She drew the hidden runes back over the tapestry again in the same fashion as before, though the map did not return. Eyes wide, Theresia turned towards the group as an unmistakable feeling overtook her.

"You need to ru-"

Her voice was clipped short as a vortex of darkness burst through the apothecary cellar in an arc. Wood splintered from the force, and Theresia was sucked out into a darkened expanse. From the hole in the cellar, the group could see the day looked far too dark outside, and screams could be heard from frightened citizens. Black clouds blocked the sun thickly and ominously as an otherworldly voice entered the minds of all.

G͕̙̫͙̐i̮͖͕̮͚͊̈́ͬ̅ͦͥ͞v͖͖͈̋̐̃̏̕e̙̍͛̔̾ ̝̯̜͖̯͚͙͡u͉̲ͭ̉ͨ̅̏ͪͦ͞s̘̹̣͇̔̈́̆ͬ́ ̖t̑̇̈́h̡̤̻͚ͧ͆ė̲ͤ̉ͣ̽̓ͪ ̟͈̈́ͅS̭̱͜e͇͖͉͓ͬ͌ͯ̉ͅë́̍̿̉̃̓d͓̹͔͗̀̎ͩ͛̊ ̘̄͊͗̆ỏ̺̀͑̋͌͟f̡̱̥̳͖͇̖ ̦̬̲̺̐ͣ͂̾̏ͣͭL̤̣͙͖̉̊͌ͤ͑i̪̤͈͈ͩ̄͆̏ͦf̴̰̹̰e͇̖͓͛͂͗̓.̛̬̰̪̹̥̫ͅ
.ͫͬͪ̄ͤ͏͈͇S̖̝ͮ͛̽̈́̚u̬̙̠͎͌̒̏͒ͭ̀̚r̨̒ͯr͎ͩͫ͊͗ͅe͍̰̩͍̟ͅn̵̹͓̰ͬ͒̌̈ͅd̠̯͕̤͙͔̑͗̀e̤̗̒̈́̂̓̓ͧr̋͂ͧ̾̽̽͏̖ ̬͊i̗͓̺̪̩̍͊̕t̖͔̩̮̄̾͑ͨ̂̚ ̠̮̭͎͓̮̙ͮͪ̍̿ͫą̟̩ͮ̂̿̄ͪͭ̌ǹ̪̲̥̲̲͉̾ḏ̝ ̯̭̠̱̜̃̏ͩw̻̭̝̱̰͍̥̋̅ͣ͋̋̓̕e̷̯̪̗͂̓̉ͫ ̠̯͔̱̿̈ͬ̌ͫ̄w̪̒̒̈̓̌̀ͅị̵̣̟́ͪ̀̄ͅll̗͍̃ s̛͈̖̚p̹̺̲̌̇̔͋͠a͚̜͆̈́̓ͤ̚r̜͈̗ͫ͛̂ͪ̇͊̔͜e̲̰̙̞̤͝ ͈͓̦͓͟L̑ͫ̾͆̇̚҉͕̯̬̩a̴̟̭̩̫̼͕͊͋̒͌͂͛̚ͅṳ̴̖̱̬̯͉̈́͋͛d̻̘̗͐͢e̟̰̝ͦ͐ͫr͚̺̰̤͖̜d̟̰͙͍͕̣i͇̠͇̥ͩͧn̵͑̇͆̉̌ͩe̛̹͖͎͇͗̋̍̉ͧ ̣̭͍̾ͪ͋o̻͂ͨͨ͊͢f̺̠͔ͦͅ ̸̖̲̒ͤd̛̘̼̻̪͇͊̂̐ͯͩ̓ê̥̠̫̤ͤͮͅś̶̬̣͈̮͚̿ͦ̊̂ṭ͈̤ŗ͈͈̖̥̖ű̱͋c̨̥̟͈̈́̀̋͐ͦt̨̯̫͉͚̳̮̂ͯͫ͒̂ī̼̞̭̼̓͛̉̊̓͢ő̏ͥ͒͂̍ͧ́nͅ.̩̟̝̯̥͔͒̋
A̱̗̳͚ͣͭn̻͕̞̱̼ͤy̙̦̽̈́̍̐̈́́o̧̤̬̪̝̮̼̒ͦ̄̓ͫ̏ǹe̤̻̳̪̩̥̜̊ͭ ̵͚͖͈̹ͫw̱̟̮͚͎͍̅̀͋ͦ̃ͦh̪̍́̾o̗͉̭ͯ͝ͅ ̫͔̮̈́̆̍̈̈́̊͑a͕͚͎̭̙̻ͬͧ̉ͨ̍͢t̺ṯ̌̒͛͗̓̚ȅ̛̖͈̦͇͙m̶̤͇̞̦̲̲͒̾ͭͯp̀ͫ̍͜t̝̘̫͇̭̅ͧ̉͑͠s̸̬̪ͩ̓͊͗ ͊ͩͯ̋͑͒͏̳͙̘͙̬t̯̼̮̓̽͛̑́̚o͊̾ͮ ͖̗͇̥̙̬͎̋͂ͣ̌̍ͥ͒f̟̱l̗̻̤͂ͮȩ͚̹̹̭̗͙̿ͯ̎ͩ͆ͦe̖̫ͩ͐͘ ̞̮̻͎̠͡ͅẃ̞̭̬͆i͖̬̪̘ͨ͗̈́ͧͧ͜ͅͅl̠̪̯̗̬̙̰̓͌ͭl̮̳̬͚̏̌͆̀͑ ̖͉̓̓ͣ̑̇̄́b̪̬͐̐̊ͫͨ́͘é̖̬̦̖͙̉͛͜ ̩͇̫͈͔̇͊̓͌ͭ̓m̳͎̦͉̣͆e̘͓ͦ̎̇̚t̳͉̗͙ͮͭͧ͝ ̵̹̭͈̱͉͎̦̐̈́͆̊̋̽w̤͉̤̫͘i͋͊̊̎̑̐҉̖̼͕̙̯̠ͅt͉̰̭̰̟̼́h̢͖̘͇̣͉̱̋ͩͨͮ̄̇̚ ̯̘̹̻̣̞͗͊̈̋ͦã̺̖̬͎̖̥̹̔̏̓̂̏̀ ̧͕̭̘͈̝ͣ̋͑f͠a̙̪͔̝̙t̜ͤ̆̇̐͘e̖̫͉͎̱̗ͯͧ̓̒͡ ̤̻͓̣͎ͫ̓ͩ̽͞ͅͅw͖̞̣̞̙o̵̮̜̘̹͇̥͙ͩ̑͌r̩̠̮̝̥̄͋͗͗̉ͩͩs͕ͧ̓̋̚ĕ̮̫̰̭̏ͪ́̀ ҉͇̬̦̥̯̞t͈͔͓̔͌͂̀̊ͧh̴͕͕͍̥̽ͥͥͅa̢̫͙͑ͥͧͣ̎ͯǹ̰̀̀̎̎ ͉̞̺͇̙d̛̯̗̟̪̜͈͉̉̆ͯ̍ͬè̵̝̬̫å̙̼̒ͯ̈̃ͅt̖͔̪̥̭͓͔̐͌͊͆̋̓̀͡h̩̖̪̠͖̯̺̋.̥̣͋ͬ ̵͔
̫̭̣̥̯̳̱̇͑̐͘G̜͋ͧ́͘ĭ͚̤̜̤͉̟͟ͅv͍̺̭͉͈̏ͮ̾̓̚͘eͦͮ͏ ̯̙̝͐͆ͥ͋̀u̯̗͉̹͓̲̜ͭ͟s̞̻͔̬̬̺͡ ̷̗̩͓̒͆͌͗̈́ͯ͑t͆̓̓̔h̪̼̗̺̭̹̮ͯe̒͋̿͛͛͆̓ ̧̏ͯ̽ͯS͎͋e̅ͨe̘͔̙̭̮̽͛ͥ́̊̋̀d͕̼͉̻̱͔͌ͯ̏̐ ͚͕̜̦͎ͪ̋ͧ́̚o̻͇̗̦͂͒̓ͬf̮̝̹͚͔̰͐́ͧ͑̉̇̚ ̖̻̗ͫ̑L͈͓̋͐̊ȉ̏̆ͯ̌̃ͪ͠f̨͉̻̜̦ͬ̔̅͒͒̂͊e͙̬̜̤ͮ̐̈́̄̎ͭ̒͝.ͫͬͪ̄ͤ͏͈͇

No matter how anyone covered their ears, the ominous voice was ever present. Down the ladder rushed an older gentleman, his tuft of white hair haphazard across his shiny dome. He rounded the corner and past the shelves to get to the gathered group with a pounding heart he clutched with one hand. It was the owner of the apothecary.

"The Shadow Army," he said. "They came out of nowhere! You have to get out of here before anyone figures out what you have. Go to the basement of the Inn across the way. They have a secret passage that takes you through cave and leads out into a well not too far out from here. But it'll be enough of a distance to give you a fighting chance."

Outside the apothecary, the dark clouds slowly churned through the air. Bright lightning in streaks of purple crashed into the earth, and from it sprung casters cloaked in black that billowed from their forms like smoke. Fog gradually crept within Lauderdine as people rushed to their homes. Wyverns swooped down from the sky picking up a few citizens to toy with them. Sounds of indescribable whispers rose with the foggy veil that thickened with each passing moment. The tavern and inn was just across the way, the lights snuffed out and the windows covered with wood on the inside. A wyvern decidedly landed before it to mangle a drunkard as he attempted to flee. Running towards the inn would surely expose them to the chaos surrounding them.

@Red Thunder @fyrelily @Elle Joyner @CloudyBlueDay @SpaceCowboyEin @Doctor Jax

Last edited: