1. 1-3 posts per week
  2. One post per week
Writing Levels
  1. Adept
  2. Advanced
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
The Seals of Valinar

Several millennia ago, when the world was breathed into existence, the Divine Beings saw to create children in their likeness. And so the Seven Sons of the Divine were forged. Selvia, the ruler of natural elements, Oldric, ruler of the divine sciences, Lurin, the ruler of sacred arts, Pheon, the ruler of celestial beasts, Tholmar, the ruler of mystical craft, Deana, the ruler of myth and dream and Cast, the ruler of the mind’s eye. From these Seven Sons, the world was given life and magic spread and filled the corners of it.

But in time, the children of the Seven Sons became enchanted by their own importance, and each became convinced that their way was the best way. Soon, division beget violence and war, and the lands were separated. In time, a band of men arose, tiring of the strife, and sought to create a land of their own, unburdened by the lust for power and dominion. Pooling their magic, they devised a barrier using seven seals. With the source of magic sealed away beyond this barrier, the creators successfully separated themselves from the magical realm and all knowledge of magic passing to time and waste.

Now, on the cusp of another war, magic has begun to seep into the Mundane realm, and it has become increasingly apparent the thing greatly feared by those who created the barrier has come to pass. The seals are breaking…

Kingdom of Grendania

_YAUVWkuDueHeoPBkLsf6RjNF2rD-xbjLRC3j93UJNKL9Catxqda45sF3NfUCUrcrDWByxlFOX-KE-UAMZODos4oMfLi26MPPqQOnMyKzRaqAfaqGcijGFcj5EeW4HyZe89B2Jod

Grendania knew true peace for only a short time in its long history. Under the short rule of the Thysian Family, Grendania was ruled justly, but when House Belvonte believe that they could make Grendania greater than it was, they usurped the throne and have reigned ever since. Vallus Belvonte now sits on the throne and rules the kingdom mercilessly. The neighboring kingdom of Bycrest has been a thorn in Grendania’s side ever since House Belvonte took power.

Kingdom of Bycrest

9HJb7DwOkfXeETw_SG4upM7fypQmhu1vr2Zgh1c3-ZOGFWFWRXUWelAympjULUrXBpYrl2a8ZgUzSu5jMfIpoS_9Tr68XVzjWYl6gHnanCBXqUJzfeaU7cLA5yg29XEGwurvB029

Bycrest was once an aligned nation with Grendania, until the Belvonte family took control of the throne. Infuriated by the transfer of power, the people rebelled, and in time managed to build quite a force.

In time, they were able to secure land and build their own kingdom, set apart from their former dominion.

Kingdom of Anglion ||

VAGRsU5Q2K5zJkOtKC1ZcW9gOJrdyK30EAHNQRwgz1Q09tgHTGfIOYgBvH67KBpYm5w6jnuRxbXbFANug1BkFOpZvjXxJkr1Aa2CWQ5ntpvF8NLTtcJgNHIdMmNrEtygJwi0vU1x

Anglion is located on the other side of the barrier, a sprawling kingdom ruled by Lord Aramaes. Despite Anglion’s wealth and stature, the lives of the people therein are hardly satisfactory, due largely to the overbearing nature of their leadership. Laws within Anglion center largely around the unlawful use of unapproved magical practices and a strict code of governing over everything from one’s occupation to the conversations they have with others around them. Everything is policed, and the people live in terror of one misstep.

Rellion Aramaes is surprisingly young for a man of his prestige, but deeply gifted in his abilities, a fact which aided in his early ascension to the throne.

Recently, there's been escalated incidents of disappearances… a situation further complicated by the most recent victim, the sister of Lord Aramaes.

THE SEVEN BREEDS OF MAGIC

1. Natural magic | this is elemental based magic - fire, water, earth, air, light and darkness. These magics are limited to their source and require energy to execute. The stronger the spell, the more energy is required.
2. Alchemy magic | Science based magic. Alchemy involves the transformation of materials.
3. Ceremonial magic | This breed of magic involves a form of ceremony to complete - this includes Necromantic, Healing, Blood and Soul magic.
4. Invocative/Summoning magic | Summoning involves calling forth a being by use of invocation. Generally relates to magical creatures such as dragons, gryphons, chimera and the like.
5. Sympathetic/Talismanic magic | Talismanic magic involves the use of a magical totem or icon to complete the spells.
6. Illusionary magic | Generally involves arcane incantations to craft illusions. Some spells include disguises, invisibility, the illusion of a specific creature or locations and hallucinations.
7. Divinatory magic | This magic draws visions of future occurrences.

Limitations of Magic - these occur on the mundane side of the barrier.
They tire faster
Spells sputter out, backfire, or fail
Takes more mental focus to cast spells of higher difficulty.

You'll be playing a character that has come to the crossroad town of Whiteridge. Why? Well, that's up to your character. You are a member of the Mundane world, and because of this, magic has been nothing more than a thing of fiction to you, and the stories of the seals, a fable your parents told you in hopes of keeping you in line. The magic you know is nothing but illusions...cheap card tricks and of the such. Be creative concerning your background, hometown, and things of that nature. If you have questions, you will be able to shoot them at myself, or @Elle Joyner .

Things to consider:
Your character is not indestructible.

Elle and I morph our stories around characters. Your character decisions, backgrounds, and such, may very well change the course of the story. In essence, the decisions you make help us write the story.

You have no magic at the moment. In fact, if you actually see magic, there's a very real possibility you might freak out.

Don't be useless to the team. If you make a merchant, give him/her something that would most definitely benefit the team on the journey.

Last edited:
Color me interested!

I’m interested!!

Interested!

I'm intrigued, so this is kinda like a Fish Out Of Water type deal?

Not entirely catching the reference here? Fish Out Of Water?
Fish Out Of Water refers to people who are not accustomed to a certain concept, since our characters don't know magic is real, I felt it was an appropiate term to use.

Oh! Haha. The italics made me think it was a show or movie lol It's... not quite the fish out of water concept so much as it is... Fish thrown in the fire concept.

I'm intrigued, so this is kinda like a Fish Out Of Water type deal?

Not entirely catching the reference here? Fish Out Of Water?
Fish Out Of Water refers to people who are not accustomed to a certain concept, since our characters don't know magic is real, I felt it was an appropiate term to use.

Oh! Haha. The italics made me think it was a show or movie lol It's... not quite the fish out of water concept so much as it is... Fish thrown in the fire concept.
Lol your right,

Last edited:
Looks like we can post applications. I'll get the CS template up in an applications thread. You'll have 1 week to apply and then @Elle Joyner and I will go through the applications and approve characters.

I feel like I've been asking this a lot, and don't want to sound like a broken record, but...
This is play-by-post, right? Players don't need to use discord?

For what it's worth, I love the setting. Reminds me a bit of (aha) the Seventh Seal...
Meets Häxan.

Play by post? I'm not sure what that means.

We will have a Discord. It's not a requirement, but I always recommend it because it's where the majority of plotting and planning occur.

Sorry, I'm old...

Play by post means, well, playing largely through post on forums/bulletin boards. I.E, posting here instead of in discord. And I know that it's a very useful tool, I've just had enough of it for several life-times, ahaha!.. Anyway, that's good to hear! I'm all right with missing out on things, even if it puts me at a bit of a disadvantage.

If my application works, great, and if not, it's an excellent setting! I'll be psyched to see what you all do!

Sorry, I'm old...

Play by post means, well, playing largely through post on forums/bulletin boards. I.E, posting here instead of in discord. And I know that it's a very useful tool, I've just had enough of it for several life-times, ahaha!.. Anyway, that's good to hear! I'm all right with missing out on things, even if it puts me at a bit of a disadvantage.

If my application works, great, and if not, it's an excellent setting! I'll be psyched to see what you all do!

OH, gotcha - don't feel old... I've been roleplaying for 20 years now XD I just have never heard it called that. But yes - IC will be on Iwaku :)

• Thank You
Reactions: lepidoptera
Thank you!.. XD
Both for the clarification, and encouragement. Both are always nice!