2. Slow As Molasses
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Seaweed Script; Fanwood Text; Signika;
Deirdre of the Sea
x

The sea felt strange. Or rather, it sounded strange as Deirdre couldn't see the sea, but she was able to hear it from her little room. It sounded distant and hollow, as if it was wailing for something it had lost, but at the same time rejecting what had been gone. The mermaid wondered what it meant and why it was. Was it looking for her, who was stuck here? Or had the sea cast her out on purpose? She couldn't tell and somewhere within she felt that she didn't want to tell.

Days had passed since she woke up in the village of the humans. Badgered and bruised she had been brought into this place for treatment, with the humans surrounding her uttering strange things. A man with a lightning device flashed into her eyes, causing her to hiss and fight, then they examined the membranes between the digits of her limbs. For a bit Deirdre was afraid they would cut it away, judging from their gasps of horror, but it seemed that they had decided to leave her alone to heal first. Perhaps there was an initiation rite for the cutting of the skin, for no one that she had met so far had the same hands as she did.

The flood of questions they kept on asking were all met with silence. Deirdre didn't know how to answer them, didn't understand their questions. Shipwrecked? Drowned? Did they mistake her to be one of them? Deirdre was horrified by that thought, feeling insulted as she remained quiet. She had no answers for them. Not to the questions they asked. There was no obligation for her to tell them anything.

However, the sea remained strange. Even as she became stronger and was almost healed up. Even if she felt ready to return to the sea again. There was something about the salty air that felt off.

And then there was the matter of that conversation she overheard by accident. Deirdre had just pretended to be asleep, unwilling to speak or to eat their food. However, the conversation that followed between the strangers had been disturbing and left the creature shaken. It resolved her that, no matter what, she had to escape today.

It was thus that the female slipped out of her bed at midnight, her body still badgered and bruised from the storm and her feet unfamiliar to the wood of the floor. Walking was surprisingly exhausting, but Deirdre willed herself to continue, to go on even if she felt her legs scream in pain and her wounds protest.

@SkittlesAndSpike

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Spekkun
The village had been different ever since the girl showed up. There was an air of mystery around her and because she did not speak to anyone, people started to come up with theories and even rumors. Most theorized that she was a maiden of the sea, a siren. They believed that she could have been the cause of any ocean goers that had disappeared in the last few tears. Others believed she was the victim of a curse, that she was slowly transforming into some creature.

Hayden did not subscribe to any of those ideas, not that he given it much thought. He believed she was just a girl who suffered a tragedy and woke up somewhere new surrounded by strangers and became terrified. He couldn't blame her, who wouldn't be? Sure, there was a strange membrane amongst her fingers and toes, but he heard some people were born with that. Maybe her folks didn't have it removed when she was born?

Every day the villagers asked her questions and brought her food, and she stayed silent each time, refusing to speak or even eat. No one knew what to do with her or how to handle the situation, least of all Hayden. So his surprise and irritation were understandable when he was asked to check on her. No one could get her to talk or eat, so what he could he do? He was only up to prepare the boat for fishing the next day. Normally his mother would check on her an hour before but she was tired as well, more tired than he was. Still, he didn't want to.

Despite his complaints, he found himself trudging towards the girl's quarters, muttering to himself as he went. He didn't know what he was supposed to do, anyway. Ask if she needed water? Offer more food she wouldn't eat? Or just stand there with a dumb look on his face for a few seconds and then leave?

He had no clue what to do. The only thing he expected was that she wouldn't say a word and he'd basically have talked to himself for a little bit. Or, maybe she was sound asleep. That would make this a quick and easy visit.

His expectations were, however, shattered, when he opened the door to her quarters, too lost in his thoughts to remember to knock first, and saw her walking. He was silent for a moment, a look of surprise painted across his face. He coughed, clearing his throat before speaking, voice cracking, much to his chagrin.

"Ah...hello...you're up."​

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Nemopedia
Seaweed Script; Fanwood Text; Signika;
Deirdre of the Sea
x

Barely past the square table in her room Deirdre hadn't gotten far at all when the door opened and the son of the house entered. Surprised to meet the female standing he stared at her with open mouth an expression Deirdre returned. The wood of the floor felt unfamiliar to her webbed toes while her legs were weak from the food she had refused.

"Ah...hello...you're up."

She had listened to humans talk before, learned how to understand the sounds they made as she tried to replicate them. It was a fascinating language, but there were only a few from her world that she could practise with.

Nodding in response the female let her hand rest on the surface of the table, contemplating her next course. On the land she felt useless, out of place and with her legs as wobbly as they were she was afraid of what the outcome would be if she forced her way past the boy. However, she refused to go back to bed now. That place was even more strange and foreign for her, even to the point of suffocating.

"Out," she managed, her lips moving awkwardly and her tongue twisting. She had practised the language before, so why was it so difficult to actually speak?

Flushing red the female picked up a pot nearby, raising it up as if she wanted to throw it. Deirdre had no plan, but she prayed for some luck right now. Some luck and wisdom from the side of the human.

"Outside," she breathed, not realising that the pot she held in hands was the chamber pot. Luckily for her it had been emptied. The stench remained, however and as the lid clattered to the floor Deirdre buckled over, the pot joining its lid.

There her plan went. Foiled by the stench that couldn't be washed out of the pot.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Hayden's expression changed to reflect his increasing surprise. Not was she on her feet, but she was speaking? Her speech was strange, almost as if it were a broken dish she was trying to piece together. Perhaps there was some truth to some of the rumors.

His surprised stupor was broken by the sound of the pot hitting the ground. He looked up to see the girl doubled over and immediately started towards her. "Are you okay?" He was hesitant, unsure of what to do. She was having trouble standing, obviously from starving herself, and she wanted to go outside like this? "I don't think going outside is a good idea."

She could hardly stand, let alone walk. He was tempted to order her back to bed. In fact, he would have, had he not realized she would try to go out anyway, god forbid she actually succeeded. He bit his lip for a moment, realizing that he could use this moment for some good. "Eat first." He told her, hoping that she could understand him. "If you eat, then I will take you outside."

It seemed like a fair trade. If she ate, everyone would worry a little less about her, it would bring a smile to his mother's face and most importantly, she would not starve herself to death. It was a risk to take her outside, he was pretty sure he'd get yelled at or worse, but she'd been cooped up in this room for far too long. And if she ate, how much trouble could he really get in?

• Bucket of Rainbows
Disturbed at how calm the human was over the stinking pot Deirdre shot him an awful glare when he spoke. Going outside was the best idea she had in a long while. Giving the chamberpot a shove the mermaid wanted nothing to do with the awful smelling item, annoyed how nothing seemed to be going her way on land.

"First out, then I eat," she tried to negotiate with the male, pushing herself up. Rising herself up the female wobbled a little on her legs, still unused to having to stand on vast land instead of sandbanks and water. The weight on her knees seemed to be more as well, but she ignored all that as she threw her chin up.

"Please," she said, though her voice didn't hold much of a pleading tone, neither did her body language express such.

• Bucket of Rainbows
"Hmm." Hayden scratched his head as he thought her condition for eating over. He would have much preferred that she would eat first, but she the way she stood and even her tone leaked stubbornness as if she was too proud to truly plead. As far as he was concerned, there was no other way it was going to happen so he may as well cave into her demand.

"Alright. Outside first, but I'm keeping a close on you." He agreed reluctantly, narrowing his eyes somewhat. "I don't need to get in trouble. You better eat." He told her, a displeased look on his face. He supposed that he may as well have the chamber pot cleaned after they returned. The stench was probably one of the driving factors for her desire to step outside.

"Take it slow...okay? You look like you can barely walk." The young man was unsure of how far they would get outside, let alone without being caught. She was barely standing, which he assumed was a symptom of her diet, or lack thereof. "I can support you and help you walk." He offered halfheartedly, holding his arm out. He wouldn't be surprised if she didn't take it. "It's the fastest way to get you outside."​

• Bucket of Rainbows
The truth in the male's words stung. To be told that she was too weak for something hurt her pride, but Deirdre also knew that she had trouble walking. After all, mermaids rarely did so, but did that make her weak?

"Carry me," she stubbornly told the male instead, chin thrown up into the air and eyes boring straight down at the other. "Fastest way," she continued with a shrug. If support was humiliation, but independence proof to his statement Deirdre refused to choose either option. She wasn't about to play into the hands of the human.

• Haha
"Carry you?!" If it weren't for the indignant look on her face Hayden would have thought her suggestion was a joke. "I mean yeah, it might be faster but..." But he didn't want to carry her, especially not with the way she was looking at him. Besides, what was wrong with leaning on him?! Sure it might still be a challenge for her but it would be easier for him. He wasn't exactly the most muscular guy.

Then again, she was probably rather light, and the sooner she got what she wanted the sooner she ate and he could leave. Maybe this would be the last time he'd have to come in and check on her, even. "You know what...fine. I'll carry you." He grumbled, shaking his head. "But only because I want to move quickly. Not because you told me too." He added the last part, sighing heavily. It was a good thing his pride didn't matter to him that much.

"But you had better keep your promise and eat. Making everyone think you'll starve to death..." He walked closer to her, a look of uncertainty on his face as he tried to figure out the best way to carry her. Eventually, he turned around and lowered himself, sitting on a knee. "Here, get on."​

• According to Plan
She didn't like the tone of the human. The way he spoke and commanded her struck the wrong chord with the mermaid, but she let it be. She had bargained and she had gotten what she asked for, if it wasn't in the way she wanted it to be. Indignantly the female gave the male a look before sliding around his shoulders and locking his head between her arms.

"Go," she mumbled over his shoulder, a slightly ticked and a little humiliated. Deirdre wasn't sure who had really won this round, but she was determined not to be the loser at the very least.

"Hurry," Deirdre scrunched up her face as she caught a whiff of the male's scent. Dry and polluted, with the faint scent of fish, but no sea. The same scent that clung to the blankets and the air of the house. It strangely made her miss home even more. "You smell," she huffed impulsively, though there was no actual repulsion coming from Deirdre, only frustration.

• Bucket of Rainbows
"I smell...I don't smell. You smell. I smell fine. You're the one who smells bad." Hayden muttered under his breath as he stood up, supporting her weight with his arms. It was highly possible he smelled. After all, he did fish with his parents. But even with that in mind he couldn't believe how rude she was being! He was already carrying her, what more could she want?

"I'm goin', I'm goin'." He started walking, taking it slow on his way to the door as he adjusted to carrying her, making sure he didn't drop her before slipping out of the room, out the house and outside. He wandered a small distance away from the house, not wishing to be caught in the open carrying her around. He did not need to be caught and scolded, or worse, for bargaining with their recovering patient.

"Alright, we're outside. Happy?" He asked her, coming to a stop near a large tree. It wasn't far from the house, but the distance was enough that it reduced his paranoid glancing around some. "It's a good night too. Fresh air might do you some good." There was a moderately strong and cool breeze blowing, complimented by a light drizzle of rain, enough to make the night cool and pleasant.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
A little gasp escaped Deirdre as the human boy insulted her back in kind. Wanting to throw something back at him the mermaid was quick to silence herself as they passed the door of her room. Instinctively Deirdre knew that, despite their different physiologies, she had to be quiet if she wanted to go out.

"No," Deirdre breathed when they stopped near a large tree. Though it was pleasant outside, humid and breezy, she still felt utterly lost and homesick. Being caught and caged here in this human village where everything was strange and different didn't help her feel more welcome.

But she had gotten what she wanted and judging from the mood the human was in Deirdre had to be careful in how far she was going to push this.

"I will eat here," she told the male, wiggling her legs and webbed toes to get a good taste of the outside. Though cool she liked it, prefered it even over the warm and dry air inside of the human houses. "It is nice outside," she added, in a way also thanking the male despite not stating so explicitly.

• Bucket of Rainbows
"Yeah, it's nice." Hayden agreed, a slight bit of suprise in his voice. It wasn't a thank you, but it was close enough for him. They'd only spoken a bit, but this was probably the first neutral statement she'd made to him. "It's really nice." The weather must be doing wonders for her mood.

"Alright, you can eat here. But we can't stay here for long." Hayden told her as he sat on his knees so she could climb down. "I don't want to get in trouble, and I don't think you want everyone swarming and doting on you anymore than they already are. And if this actually improves your health then you'll probably be outside a lot more." The more she showed she was fine, the more they'd leave her alone...eventually.

"Anyway, I hope you like seafood and pasta. It's the only thing on the menu tonight." Coming from a family of fishermen, fish was all too common in Hayden's diet. His mother had made the meal for dinner, and so that was what he had brought to offer the mysterious maiden. It was cold and growing colder in the weather, but who could ever complain about cold w "Remember. You have to eat. You promised."​

• Bucket of Rainbows
If Deirdre had eased up a little her barriers were back up again, shooting a glare towards the male when he spoke of doting and the worry of the humans. She hadn't felt very doted on, more subjected to their invasive curiosity that was unable to leave her alone. "Will they?" she clipped, half-sarcastic but also genuinely distrustful. The stories of men hadn't escaped their ears, their betrayals between brothers, their fights they called wars. Many times the water had coloured red because of their slaughters, but the mermen kept themselves away from that.

When the male returned with a plate of food Deirdre's mood lifted once more, though it set itself into confusion soon after once the plate was presented to her. Deirdre recognised the seafood that was offered, though she didn't understand the need to cook the fresh produce. However, what confused her the most was the thing that the male had called 'pasta'. Pale in colour and slimy looking the female recoiled from it before begrudgingly accepting the plate remembering her promise.

"It is weird," she mumbled, picking through the pasta as she tried to feel for its texture. Smooth and bouncy, like seaweed though less firm. Confused the female went to pick up a shrimp, examining the curled up pink state it was in. With a slight disappointed sigh she popped it into her mouth, giving it a chew. "But edible," she continued with her observation of the human food. "A little tough, though," she added as she tried to look for more reasons to dislike human food.

"Wow, I thought you'd go bonkers over the shrimp." Hayden mused aloud. The shrimp wasn't prepared to perfection or anything, it was rather simply seasoned for the meal, but shrimp was something that he, and probably most people around considered a delicacy. He was visibly surprised to hear "weird but edible". "You know, it tastes better if you try them together. They kinda compliment each other." He advised her as he settled on the ground, sitting across from her.

He did a quick look around to make sure no one had spotted him on his return, relieving his paranoia at least a little. "So," He started, his fingers drumming against the ground, "What's your name?" He wanted to ask where she was from, but considering her attitude, he doubted that he'd get that. Besides, it'd be kind of rude not to ask who she was first, or at least her name anyway. "I'm Hayden." He introduced himself, hoping to coax her into talking.​

• Bucket of Rainbows
"Bonkers?" Deirdre threw the male a look, confused on what he meant. Did he want her to go crazy over shrimps? The female hardly found them to be anything special, even if the preparation had been strange. "Will I go 'bonkers' if I try it together with the sauce?" she followed up suspiciously, squinting at the sauce on the plate. Humans are weird.

Dismissing the slight anxiety that the human named Hayden seemed to carry Deirdre contemplated for a few seconds whether she was to give her name or not. There wasn't anything particularly harmful in sharing her name with the male, neither was it forbidden. Though the mermaid didn't feel like sharing it either. Pursing her lips she slowly chewed on another shrimp, taking her time to work it down before making her decision.

"Can I go to the sea?" she tried, not forgetting his question. Perhaps she could negotiate something out of him, it had worked earlier.

"Yeah, you probably will. It's pretty good." Hayden told her, nodding his head a bit vigorously. "I mean, it's meant to be eaten all together anyway. Everything compliments each other." Or at least that was how he ate it, anyway. He cared perhaps too much about having pasta and sauce left but no shrimp, as well as the opposite, though that was, in his opinion, a much more favorable outcome. Who didn't like meat?

"Can you go to the sea?" He repeated her question, surprised by the question. "Are you feeling up for that?" He'd probably have to carry her again, but he wasn't worried about that part. He was more so worried about being away for so long. The sea wasn't too far, so it was very possible. It wasn't part of the deal, but if it was a short visit... "Well, I guess we can. I didn't think you'd want to go there for awhile, what with washing up in a net and all." He'd expected her to be at least a bit wary or tired of the sea.​

She eyed the male suspiciously, finding the way he spoke of 'going bonkers' too casual. As if going crazy was an everyday business. Though, knowing humans Deirdre wouldn't even be surprised that humans liked to go into hysterics, with their tendency to fight over air.

"I will keep to the shrimps," she clipped, poking the shrimp some more as she pushed the sauce to the side. She preferred them raw anyway.

Though, when Hayden questioned her relationship with the sea Deirdre nearly dropped the plate to the ground.

"The sea is my home!" she exclaimed, feeling insulted that Hayden would think she didn't wish to go near it, or worse; that she was too weak for it. "Besides, it were your nets that forced me here," she continued with a raised voice, forgetting all about the secrecy from earlier.

Somewhere behind her she could hear something opening, her shoulders stiffening up at the thought of another human approaching them. Forcing her jaws down the female quietened down as she shoved the plate from her lap. She was done.

Hayden was startled by her sudden burst of passion. He was taken aback, shown by his raised hands and wide eyes. "Wait, wait, I was just trying to look out for you was all!" He spoke in a fierce yet hushed whisper as he defended himself. "I didn't mean any insult by it. The sea is pretty much my family's home too, so I get what you mean." He found nothing strange about her words, at least for a moment anyway. He equating them to his own relationship with the sea. His family caught and sold fish, the sea was their sustenance, after all. "Anyway, I'm glad you ate. It'll do us both some favors." He told her, pulling the plate towards him. But then he paused, pursing his lips as a thought came to him.

"Wait, what were you doing that caught you in the nets, anyway?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. His tone was largely curious with maybe a hint of suspicion. His first guess was that she was swimming, but it wasn't like she was from here, not locally anyway, so the odds of her swimming from somewhere else and getting trapped in the fishing nets here were rather small if they existed at all.​

The human claimed that the sea was his home as well, which quieted Deirdre for a bit. His hushed anger as he surprised her with this tidbit came from seemingly nowhere. It seemed that Hayden had a lot more bite to him than Deirdre had anticipated. A fact that displeased her as it meant she would have to work a lot harder in getting what she want.

When the male questioned her presence near the nets Deirdre rose a brow, her spine straightening as she pondered on her answer for a bit. Tell the truth or lie through her teeth? Neither would bring her much closer to the sea, she knew. Humans were too curious to let her go if she did tell the truth, but Hayden seemed to be empathetic, for now.

"I was…" she still wasn't entirely sure how to answer when she parted her lips. However, time to answer she didn't get as loud screams were heard from one of the houses. Yells of disgust mixed in with retching sounds as the doors slammed open and a pungent smell drifted towards the pair. A familiar smell at that, as she had encountered it not too long ago from the pot she had threatened to throw earlier.

"It is overflooding!" a man yelled, stumbling out of the house after his wife and children. The youngs and the woman all seemed equally as shaken up, with one of the boys covered in dark goo from head to toe. The mother ran towards the well, drawing a bucket of water to douse the shivering boy in shock. The rest of his siblings stayed far away from the brother covered.

The ruckus caused more people to come out of their homes, some immediately returning inside as they couldn't stand the smell. Others ran over to examine what was ongoing at the scene, though not without the needed protection to cover their faces with. Not that it helped much in blocking the stench.

"Disgusting," Deirdre remarked, nose scrunched up as she got up from her spot. Wobbling on her legs she took a few steps away from the scene, as if trying to escape the stink. "What happened?" she turned to Hayden, though she wasn't sure why. He had after all witnessed about as much as she had.

• OMG
"What the..." Hayden wrinkled his nose before pinching it, hoping to stop the wretched smell from offending him any further as he stood up, offering his arm to help keep her from falling. "I have no idea." He muttered, watching the family as they tried to clean whatever it was that covered the boy. "Wonder where that stuff came from."

"Maybe it's some sewer gunk or something. That would explain the smell. Something must be wrong with their home, aside from the new home aroma." Their pipes were ruined, that was the first thought that came to his mind. The second thought only settled in his mind when he realized just how many people were coming out of their homes.

"We should probably move. They might see us." He told her, whispering in a rushed tone. If they saw him he would be scolded for bringing her out, and that was only by the villagers. When his parents found out, a scolding would likely be the least of his worries. He did not need or want any trouble. "It'll get us away from this smell too."