The Score behind the Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LogicfromLogic

Original poster
I have always looked at the music behind the film before watching it. To me, the music, the background scores, are what can make or break a film. I've seen films completely botch it with shitty soundtracks, and films sound so good that I could get over how bad the story itself was. What was a rare thing for me was when I could enjoy not just the music, but the story.

Amazing artists like James Horner, who we'll not see his likes again after his death in 2015, who made scores in Braveheart, The Land Before Time, Avatar. So many good scores to amazing movies, he was one of my favourite music directors.

The two movies that I really fell in love with was The Land Before Time and Brother Bear. Their scores, the whole soundtrack, was enough to really make me want to watch these films over and over again. Not just the music but the storyline; the music however made the films so much more better.

What are some films with soundtracks you adore?

I enjoy video game music for very similar reasons. The right song in the right place can make or break a scene. One instance I remember vividly is in Halo 2, where two large groups of powerful enemies are duking it out in front of you and you have to get past them. Your companion says 'maybe we should sit this one out', but some intense music starts up and I could never help but leap into the fray.

Anyway, sorry for derailing slightly.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum

The Rocketeer (1991)
James Horner
-So 1930s/1940s. Perfect period piece tune. Also, a vastly underappreciated movie done in the style of 1920s/1930s pulp action. With Nazis!

Jurassic Park (1993)
John Williams
-Whenever I hear this, I immediately think of the CGI bronchiasaurus eating from a tree that still looks better than CGI today, along with that sense of wonder from seeing a fucking dinosaur moving around.

Captain America (2011)
Alan Silvestri
-Very 1940s, uplifting, and heroic. Perfect period piece music for a film with a pulp-style feel.

How to Train Your Dragon (2010)
John Powell
-Culturally identifiable (Scottish), inspiring, and a good mix of calming and exciting between the two halves of the song. Definitely gives you a sense of flight and excitement.

Schindler's List (1993)
John Williams
-Below I will mention how Star Wars is not one of the soundtracks I think John Williams did awesomesauce for. The reason why is because his work on Schindler's List is far more emotive.

Bubblegum Crisis Asu e no Touchdown AMV

Bubblegum Crisis - Bye Bye My Crisis 'Enhanced Version' (English/Japanese)

Bubblegum Crisis (1987)
Koji Makaino
-Oh man. If you wanted the 1980s/early 1990s anime scene condensed down into a single soundtrack, then the original Bubblegum Crisis OST is pretty much it. Synth, rock and roll, Engrish, Jazzercise aerobics, puffy hair, questionable taste in clothing, leather jackets, Blade Runner cityscapes, and dubs of even more questionable quality just because we didn't have anyone of any skill doing voice work. Finally, this was an era where dubbers actually tried to make English covers of the songs...they get an A for effort, though they always sounded second-rate. But I actually enjoy those amateur singers - they never seemed to ever need autotuning and at least sounded halfway ok.

Astonishingly, while I'm a Star Wars nerd and the anthem is so iconic to film and pop culture, I actually wouldn't rank the Star Wars main theme up here at all. John Williams has done other music that is so much better (Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, in particular).

I agree with you!

As much as we all hate Twilight movies, the score is impeccable.

My favourite score artists / composers are Nicholas Hooper (Harry Potter films), John Williams (all the things), the obvious Hans Zimmer (Lion King, Inception, Dark Knight), Carter Burwell (Twilight, No Country For Old Men), Howard Shore (Lord of the Rings) and Alexandre Desplat (Harry Potter, Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Golden Compass).

I think score music is what marks our memories, ignites our imagination, and brings the imagery to life in our minds.

hqdefault.jpg

And just about any movie Zimmer has ever composed.

(Making a second post for TV Shows)

The Battle
Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
Harry Gregson-Williams

No Time for Caution
Interstellar
Hans Zimmer

Main Titles
A Fistful of Dollars
Ennio Morricone

Jesus literally anything by Morricone.

Hero
Kung Fu Panda
Hans Zimmer

What We Need is a Hero
Beowulf
Alan Silvestri

God I could spend all day posting videos.

hqdefault.jpg

And just about any movie Zimmer has ever composed.
Took the exact words from my mouth.

Any soundtrack Hans Zimmer has done.

That man is amazing.

This makes me tear every time X3 Memories. I would have never found anime without this movie.

Makes me want to go on an epic adventure!

Gah I love love love Akiko Shikata. She's just awesome.

Last edited:
  • Love
Say what you want about the Conan films, but they have fun soundtracks. I love this one in particular because of the bells, man. The bells!

I post this one in every OST thread but I don't care, I love it so much:

Alien is a horror movie and thus is very selective about when it does and does not have a soundtrack. This means a lot of the scores are only a couple minutes long, but when they happen, they get under your skin.

Another haunting track that I love from The Puppetmaster. <3

Murray Gold is of course fab.

• Love
Reactions: Greenie
Status
Not open for further replies.