The Saviors

The King's eyes narrowed on Karma.
"A spy?? Have you come to threaten our existence? Suppose you sacrifice our kingdom for yours? Explain yourself." He glared, anger obvious in his voice.
The Queen was silent so far, listening as well as the daughter.

Avira stumbled a little and smacked into some mud. She sat up, panting. She had to be close... she whistled before raising her bow. Firing a single arrow up, she aimed into the distance. It was a long shot, but she hoped C'mon.."

From the royal stables came a commotion, a few of the horses starting to bang on the stalls and trying to get out.

Karma does not meet the king's gaze, too busy being lost in his own mind as he's forced to stand. The male slaps Karma, and he comes to his senses.
I am not a spy! I already told him that!
Karma says, pointing to the man that usually speaks.
How can I trust the words of an enemy? Answer to the king!
Karma looks away, and is about to answer when a draws a blank, staring off into space and becoming lost in his memories again, despite the gravity of the situation he's in.
I should have known I wasn't strong enough... I have failed...

The King let out an irritated sigh. "You failed what?" He glared.

Meanwhile, Dusk broke through the stable door, a few other horses breaking through too. They darted off into the woods, the stable hands running after, causing a commotion from the people.

Avira stood, letting out a sigh and started to walk, wiping mud off her face.

Karma let out a small laugh, almost looking like a hiccup, but his face remains solemn.
I've failed them, you, and everyone... Being here... My quest was never supposed to end this way...
The soldier in him screamed "Don't let it! FIGHT! WIN!" the logical part of his mind overpowered that, merely pointing out everything. "You're surrounded by people on all sides in the heart of their kingdom, with no weapons or armor to speak of, and with movements slower than slow... We had a good run, but it's time to let go..."
Karma falls to his knees, feeling very worn out.
I'm sorry... Avira...

The King was stunned, silenced by his words. The daughter however, immediately reacted.
"Avira?!"
"Shh." The Queen whispered before she looked back to Karma. "Huntress Avira. How do you know her?"

Avira tensed as she heard several things approaching fast.. that is, until Dusk broke from the trees. "Hey boy..." she pet him softly as the other horses approached. She climbed onto his back, leaning forwards, exhausted. "Okay.. let's go home... I've got a quest to finish." Dusk started home.
The stable hands came and grabbed the other horses before staring at Avira.
"I'm fine.. take them home." She motioned them off and they went on while Dusk walked slow, letting her rest.

Karma is quite confused about why they know Avira, until his mind ticks and he can't believe he'd forgotten.
Avira... She's stubborn, lacks any sense of humor, and has no concern for her own well-being!... I couldn't have asked for a better partner...
Karma stands again, finally meeting the king's firm gaze.
Leaving her in Dreaki may be the single most stupid thing I've ever done... But I know she'll be safe there, and that's worth all prisons and all the impossibly powerful enemies the world might challenge me with.

The King still didn't speak, going over his words.
The daughter stepped to her father's side, ignoring the Queen's command for her to be quiet.
"Where is Avira? How did you run into her? Did you hurt her?"

Meanwhile, the horses were returned to the stable and the stable hands began fixing the gates. Dusk carried Avira to the edge of the town.
"I've got to get to the Queen. I need her help." She told one of the guards, who met her at the edge.

"The Royal family are in a tria-" the guard was cut off as Avira shoved past him. She headed straight for the gates, refusing to be held back. The guard followed close behind, calling orders to the others to take their positions back.

Her quest was to take down the threat rising against the kingdom... but without Karma, she could not do so. After their battles together, she knew this. She knew she would need to get the Queen to understand her plea. Perhaps the Queen could help.. she was in no shape to approach the throne, her face scratched, helmet at her side, and she was exhausted, but she would not give in. Time was not something she had to fool with... she stopped outside the castle, thinking in her head what to say.

Karma looked to the princess before looking down to avert his gaze, not because he was guilty or because she was someone to be respected (even though she is), but because he could not fathom the possibility.
...Before I started on my quest, I could care less if she was hurt or not... Now though... The only reason I left her behind is because I can't let anything happen to her...
Karma looks back to the man, who's attire was like the guard Avira had shoved past, but more elegant and marking his position as a higher ranking member, probably a city guard captain like Karma. He was staring daggers at Karma, trying to figure out his angle. He himself had his heart set on Avira, but his duties hadn't allowed him the luxury. He couldn't let this man have her, but he couldn't do anything in the king and queen's presence either.
If you would excuse me, your highness, I have some other business to attend to.

The Queen nodded, allowing the guard to leave. The King sat back, allowing his daughter to talk. He knew how close she had been to Avira.

"You're not giving straight answers. How did you meet Avira?" She said, knowing that the Avira she knew wouldn't get so close to someone dangerous... surely not..

Avira pushed through the gates, heading inside and moving directly to the throne room. It was down a long corridor, halls veering to the left and right.

"Avira, please. You should freshen up, clear your head. Let them finish the trial, then you can meet with them." The guard pleaded, close behind.

She stopped dead, turning to face him. For the first time, the guard was not seeing any calm on her face. She looked worried, angry, and determined all at once. He stepped back, bowing his head slightly as she spoke.
"I don't have TIME. Now if you would like to step out and defend the kingdom alone, go ahead, but I have been out there. I know the danger coming and I do not have the luxury of time to wait! Whatever trail may wait until after I have spoken! The guard should be fully aware of the fact I was given open rank, and that I may do as I wish to benefit the kingdom. I will not see this quest fail because I took time I did not have!" She practically yelled, her hands in fists.

The guard nodded slowly. He had never seen her so emotional... he was almost scared. Almost. "Yes miss. Well, at least let me announce your presence?"

Avira faltered.. "Fine."

The guard led her to the door, but as they reached it, the guard from inside stepped out, causing both of them to stop.

The guard stopped dead in his tracks, looking to Avira and the other guard, who motioned that he couldn't stop her. As his jealousy was still fresh, an idea was planted in his mind to keep her out. He leaned back against the door, as it only opened outwards, blocking it completely for the time being.
Huntress Avira, what a pleasure to have you back! Tell me, to what do we owe the pleasure? Surely one as brave and strong as yourself comes with news of the kingdom's safety?

Karma bowed, trying to right his mind.
I'm sorry, a lot has happened since I left my own home, and I'm finding it quite hard to focus as of late... The meadow in the forest that my kingdom and yours fight over, that's where I met Avira... I didn't trust her at first, no, I despised her at first! "Just another assassin trying to take all the glory" I thought... Then the attacks started, targeting us for some reason, so we were forced to work together... As we fought together and worked with each other, I began to see a... different side of her. A warmer, kinder side... I was a fool to be so blind to others, but she made me see that others can be worth the time...
Karma bowed his head, choking up, but trying his hardest not to let it show. He rights himself with a long intake of breath before continuing.
I suppose that's all you wanted to hear from me... I'll accept whatever fate you deem worthy...

The daughter looked back to her mother and father for a moment before turning back to Karma.
"I have not yet decided. I have one final question."

The King sat up. "You can't just question to get answers, he's clearly-" he was interrupted by his wife.
"Let her speak. Perhaps she sees something we do not.."

The daughter thought for a long moment. "You met her in the forest, fought along side her... then why did you come here? Why leave her if you were to come here? This is my last question."

Avira glared. "I wouldn't be demanding an audience immediately if the kingdom was safe, you of all should know this. I do not have time for this, let me pass. It is urgent for me to speak with the Queen immediately! For the safety of our people I do not have time to sit and babble!" She stepped slightly closer, motioning him to move aside.

The guard behind her stood still, not sure what to do. If he defended his superior, he could meet her rage... if he defended her, he could lose his own status..

The guard almost looks hurt, his brows furrowed.
Demanding an audience? If I had but known, I could've announced you myself! I'm afraid that this meeting is for royal ears only, why even I was forced to leave! They should be finished within the hour, though I suppose that they might make an exception...
The guard bows slightly, common sense outweighing his jealousy and mistrust towards Karma. He steps to the side, motioning to the door, though his eyes never leave her.

Karma does not have to think very hard about his answer.
I had no intention of coming here, your captain arrested me for trespassing. I was going to the clearing where this all began, and was traveling along the border, so I could possibly find a way to fight the entities that destroyed the other two kingdoms.

The princess thought long and hard about his answer. She let out a soft sigh. "Upon your evidence I claim you innocent. All charges will pass, unless your tale is proven otherwise."

"Lucille! You cannot just-" Once more, the King was interrupt.

"She has made her decision. With the weight we now have, we cannot be rash." The Queen said softly.

The King nodded and stood. "It has been decided. You..." he suddenly trailed off as the doors were thrown open. "Huntress??" He said in surprise.

Avira nodded and pushed forwards, shoving the doors open and walking in. "I apologize for the intrusion your highnesses, but I have come with the most important word." She paid no attention to the man before them, as she did not completely recognize Karma yet, since she wasn't looking at him, her mind on warning them and trying to finish her quest. She couldn't let the kingdom down... she'd find Karma and save everyone.

The King cleared his throat. "This was a very closed trial, huntress."

Avira bowed slightly. "And I apologize once more, but our future hangs in danger. I was sent to eliminate the threat to our kingdom," she straightened, still not looking to Karma, "and I found a danger above all else we've seen. A threat alike to years ancient, one that I have yet to stop."

Lucille stepped back towards her mother, startled and now fearful. She'd never seen Avira so uncontrolled...
"You have seen the threat? What of it? Can you defeat it?" The King was serious, concerned.

This time, Avira faltered to answer. She bowed her head, closing her eyes. "I fear that I may not be able to.. but I am giving my all to protect the kingdom." She looked back up, more determined now. "I began this fight alone, but quickly found that I could not do it on my own. I ran into a strong, brave warrior. I fought alongside him and together I believe we have a chance to defeat this danger."

The King glanced at Karma, but only for a moment before returning his gaze to Avira. "And this warrior?"

"He.. he left. But I will find him. That is why I have returned here..." Avira straightened a little more.

"And that is?" The Queen spoke softly.

Avira turned towards the queen. "Supplies. I must take Dusk once more, as time is not to be wasted. I also require the old spellbindings, the ones of my ancestors. They are of much importance to my quest."

The Queen nodded. "Your requests are granted. Any other requests?"

Avira shook her head. "No your highness. That will be all I require.. the next time you shall see me will be upon victory... or death." Avira bowed again, closing her eyes and taking a deep breath.

Lucille lowered her eyes to Karma, thinking. The Queen motioned to a nearby guard to get the spellbindings from the castle treasure room, and the King stepped down to approach Avira.

(Sorry that ended up so long... O.o I hadn't realized it until after I was done..)

Reactions: Necropolis
(That's okay, I like the challenge. :-} )
Karma watched the events before him transpire, and with the state he was in so soon after leaving her, he wanted to dig himself a hole and hide from his immense embarrassment. He was almost completely red, and hid his face by pretending he had an itch, though he had no doubt that the princess had already seen.

The guard glares after Avira until the doors close, where he turns his attention to the other guard.
I need to attend my rounds. Back to work!

The King put his hands gently on her shoulders. "Avira... are you sure of this? It is obvious your travels have already affected you."

Avira nodded. "I'm sure.."

The King sighed and stepped back, allowing Lucille to run forwards. The King went to speak to Avira.
"I was so worried.. c'mon. Let's-" she was interrupted.

"Lucy I'm sorry, but I have to get going... someone very important to me has run ahead, I have to catch up." She said softly.

Lucille shook her head. "I believe fate may be on your side." She said as she looked down to Karma. "Stand."

This caused Avira to now turn her attention to the man, who suddenly seemed awfully familiar without seeing his face...

The guard nodded and quickly headed back out to guard the forest line.

Karma looks at them, then shrugs, which is kind of hard because his hands are bound.
Well, I did tell you that you should go home, so I suppose it's my fault that I was captured by the only other remaining kingdom.
He gives a small nervous chuckle and avoids eye contact, waiting for her anger at him for leaving her without any warning.

Avira didn't do anything for a long moment. As Lucille backed away some to go talk to her parents as Avira knelt down. First, she punched him in the shoulder.
"I can't believe you just left me there! Seriously!" She rubbed her face, and though her tone was annoyed and upset, she was starting to relax now.
"I haven't stopped until I got here... you just... ran off! I woke up and you were gone.." she punched him again in the shoulder, though it was more gentle now. She moved, undoing his bindings.
"Don't do that again." she said, the anger gone and now it was just a little sad that he'd left. She wanted to hug him.. but not yet. She stood as the guard returned with the spellbindings. He walked over, holding the three, very old books out to Avira with almost apprehension. The healer gingerly took them, holding them close.
"Thank you.. you're dismissed.." she said before looking back to Karma. "Are you okay?" She finally asked, unsure what he'd been put through. She knew how difficult her people could be, especially under such tension.

Karma winced a bit when Avira hit him, even though it didn't really hurt, but didn't meet her gaze until she told him not to leave again. He looks up, seeing and hearing her sadness, and places a hand on her shoulder after she undoes his bindings.
I'm sorry, I don't know what I was thinking.
When Avira asks if he's alright, he shrugs, replying lightly.
Ah I've been through worse. If I didn't know any better, I'd say they were going easy on me! Enough of that though, what are those?
Karma points to the spellbindings, curiosity evident in his face.

Avira smiled faintly at his comment of them going easy. She then looked down to the books.
"Ancient spells and practices to help focus energy without draining it. It's been in my family for years, until we hid them in the royal treasury. Now.. I've requested them. Perhaps they might help us." She tucked them under her arm. They were fairly large. "I suppose we should go now." She looked over to the door. "They may have Dusk saddled up and packed."

Karma was amazed to hear that these spellbindings might mitigate the amount of energy used up in healing, thinking about how useful they would've been earlier along. He nods, his usual attitude returning.
I'll need my armor then. A "strong, brave warrior" like myself wouldn't be much good without it.
He grins as he quotes Avira's earlier comment, nodding to a guard that already retrieved his weapons and armor when Avira had another guard fetch her family spellbindings.