The Savior and the Victim

Taken aback by the offer to see his room, though intrigued by the idea of the rooms having different color combinations, Morgan followed along behind Soren as he led her to his room. He tossed open the door a few rooms away from where they were standing, allowing her to see the room inside. Her eyes darted around the room decorated in deep green with simple, dark furnishings. It seemed to fit his personality very well, she thought as she examined the rich colors and simple layout.

Her careful analysis of the room was due to more than a casual curiosity of the accommodations, though she wasn't sure at all why. It seemed an odd glimpse into the psyche of the man standing next to her as she examined the little details of the room but there were very few present. He seemed quite tidy, at least, which might have been why he was all right with her seeing the place where he slept. Either that, or this was not his solitude in the large house and thus the bedroom did not contain his personality in the way that his true haven would. Either way, she could not glean much about him from the room.

Turning back to the hall, Morgan was hoping that he wouldn't notice that she was trying to discern something about him if she smiled brightly to the other doors, instead of lingering on the room behind her. Gesturing with one hand to the other doors, she was still trying to avoid catching Soren's eye.

"Are any of these decorated in lavender, perhaps?"

He smiles and nods. "Third door on the left. Im glad you like it here. for all the money i have i prefer simplicity in my own chambers."
He looks into your eyes and you could swear he can see your very soul. its that kind of peircing gase with sharp eyes that is now upon you as he asks."What do you prefer Morgan?"

Stepping closer to the door that Soren had just indicated, Morgan wasn't sure what she ought to do now. She did not have any clothes with her, nothing to unpack for the room, so it was pointless to go in the door unless she wanted to sleep. As she was not sleepy yet, she stopped in the middle of the hallway in time to face Soren before he spoke.

Lowering her eyes to his chest when he spoke, instead of making eye contact, Morgan raised the back of her hand to her mouth in a laugh. Smiling to herself, she tried not to seem as though she were laughing at him. The question simply seemed so silly in the situation that she didn't know what to say. What did she prefer? About what? The rooms? She wasn't so sure that he meant something about the rooms, though.

"I... I like purple" she answered hesitantly, finally making eye contact with Soren again. Her smile was nervous but friendly as she looked up at Soren and she drew her arms to her chest. "You meant room color, right?" she wanted to talk more with him but she didn't know what to say. She simply had a desire to stand closer, but she didn't know quite if she ought.

He thinks for a moment and smiles lightly."I have an idea. We can play a game. Any game you desire BUT the looser has to answer a question, any question the winner decides. Sound fair?" He sugjests to relieve tension. as he pulls out a table and sits down. Completley at ease in his own home he becons you in.

Morgan stepped gingerly toward the small table that Soren has sat himself at in one of the rooms. She listened to his suggestion and though eager to talk more with him was worried a little about what sort of game. Still, against all wary feelings and better judgement, Morgan found herself sitting across from Soren. She folded her hands in front of her, tracing the line of one of her fingernails with a fingertip.

Raising her chin a little to look Soren in the face for the first time since the staircase stumble, she realized how much taller he was than her, even sitting down. With a small gulp, she lowered her eyes again and shied away from eye contact still. Would he see, if he could look her in the eye, how nervous she was? How uncertain? Would it cause him to dislike her or something of that nature? She had no idea, nor did she want to know.

"I'll play" she answered quickly, then realized that she still hadn't asked a vital questions of the man before her. "What sort of game did you have in mind?" It struck her then that she really hadn't played many games that she could think of. Perhaps she was at a disadvantage, then? She had no idea, would not know until he told her the rules of the game she had just agreed to play against him.

He smiles, his laid back attitude can be rather infectious."Blackjack. Instead of betting money, we bet things that the other dosent know about you."He goes on to explain the rules of the game, its very simple really. the first one to twenty one is the winner. He plays a few practise rounds with you to get a feel for the game and how it works.

A little unsure of what Soren could possibly want to know about her, Morgan felt that she had little to lose from playing blackjack with him. Besides, this had been what she wanted, right? Despite her confusion as to what he could possibly get from the venture, which more or less explained her feelings about the whole affair in general so far, come to think of it, she figured that she was not losing anything in the venture and was in fact gaining what she wanted from it. Thus, without reluctance any longer, she sat down and let him explain the game to her.

Feeling like she had a pretty firm grasp on blackjack after a couple of practice hands, Morgan smiled up, her competitive side causing her to forget the shy and awkward moments from earlier. She was now more comfortable, just based on the rush of the game and her being distracted from her own thoughts. With a few stray cards still held between her fingers, she waggled them around, having just won their last practice hand. It didn't count for anything, but she wanted to play now, instead of just practicing.

"Ready? Which one of us is going to be the dealer?" she inquired, a faye smile still lingering on her lips as she collected the rest of the cards and began to shuffle them. She dropped a few cards and had to pick them up, but it did not seem to dampen her enthusiasm for the shuffling techniques he'd taught her a few minutes before, which had caused her almost ridiculous amounts of amusement.

He inclines his head towards you. " I dont mind you takeing dealer" He states as he lounges back on his chair, smiling at you. "Would you like something to drink?."He asks as he calls for Fabella. He instructs her to bring me a drink and whatever you want. He plays the hand with you and looses."I guess you get two questions now Morgan."He smiles as he takes his drink from the offered tray, there are some light refreshments on it also. He flashes you a charming smile as he waits for you to collect yourself.

Having been absorbed in the competition and playing the game, Morgan had hardly thought at all of being thirsty. Even when she asked for a drink, shyly because she wasn't used to people getting things for her and instead was typically the one fetching things for other people, she set it down and played the hand of blackjack with hardly a sip taken from the glass of water she'd asked for. Not wanting to appear ungrateful, she picked it up and took a long drink, all the while absorbing what Soren had just said.

Morgan had won, after all, even if she wasn't sure how skill factored into it. She hadn't even thought of the possibility that she might win, so she was unprepared for asking him a question. She had been too absorbed in playing and trying to win, she hadn't thought of what she would do if she did win. Just sitting here and playing blackjack had been enough of a prize for her. Trying to think, she took another drink from the glass, peering at Soren over the rim.

Not knowing if she should stall much longer, she started speaking instead, trying to come up with something to ask him while she did so. "Two questions? I've only won just the one round... you don't have to humor me. Heh, besides... one question at a time is enough, I think?" she was shuffling the cards in her hand absent-mindedly while she tried to think. Finally, an idea came to her.

"What were you upset about, at the bar?"

He smiles that you were honourable enough to call him on his statement. He then proceeds to blankface. "The bar? Oh i had a particulary bad buisness deal that decided to go south. I lost quite a bit in the investmant however i will still get my money back. Thats what collectors are for." He states as he drinks from his glass and waits on you to deal the next hand. "you know you can ask me any questions you would like if it would help you feel more comfortable Morgan. I know i can be rather eccentric at the best of times so dont let my moods stop you."He says smiling over the top of his glass. He looks rather open at the moment and you have to wonder who this game was really ment for. You or him?

The knowledge that he had been morose about the loss of money made Morgan feel both relieved that it was not something more serious and guilty, all at once. She was happy that it was only money that had been troubling him, especially if he could get it back, but then again... here she was, using his money. To be fair, she reasoned, she hadn't used his money really yet. However, she did not want to start taking advantage of it and this made her fret. Still, she would put off these things for consideration until later, when she was alone. The least she could do for him for his trouble was to keep him company and play some hands of blackjack without seeming troubled.

"I'm just getting started with questions" she assured him, laughing easily as she dealt another round of blackjack. She hoped that he wasn't losing on purpose to humor her but then, it was all in the luck. What could you do, except ask for another card when he was too close to breaking? If he did that, though, she would know. She did not want to be humored, she wanted him to see her as an equal, despite her own reservations about whether she was even close to an equal. These thoughts brought her hand to her face, without thinking, and she winced in pain before suddenly realizing that she had no makeup to cover the bruises tomorrow. Yet another worry to put off for later... she was really accumulating those.

"Don't lose to me on purpose, though" she cautioned him, trying to get her head back in the game. The awaited his move, resisting the urge to peek at her own cards to see whether or not his soft eighteen would beat her. It was likely that he would, and he would be silly to hit with such a good pair.

He smiles."I believe Lady luck is with me tonight. I Will bet two questions and hit me." He says quietly. When a ace comes up he smiles softly."Seems luck IS on my side. 19 Morgan, think you can beat it?" He says with a small grin tugging at the corners of his mouth. He reviews his thoughts while he waits for your answer."Your tense, why?" He asks softly. He tips your chin up and looks straight into your eyes." You are NOT a burden to me Morgan, I am not repulsed by your bruises. Only repulsed that someone could find it in them to strike one so fair. You will always be welcome in my home. I for one hope you will stay."He finishes, his voice has a drive behind it that just makes you want to listen to him. It isnt a command but merly a statement of fact.

The teasing in Soren's words was enough to balm her tenseness, at least a little, though she was impressed by his luck with the ace. She was on the verge of flashing another smile, of accepting his bet, when he reached a hand out to tilt her chin. Instinctively, she flinched as his hand moving close to her face, but his touch was gentle and his voice soothing. His words caused her eyes to prickle with tears as she looked up at his eyes. The tenderness and sincerity caused the tears to spill down her cheeks and she lifted her hand to wipe them away as gently as possible, trying to avoid causing herself pain.

It was embarrassing for her to surrender so easily to tears, since she had not cried through so much more, but the pain didn't cause the surge that this overwhelming sense of protection did. Weakly, Morgan smiled to him and fought back more than just the first trickle of tears. Now was not the time to be crying. She let her head rest against his fingers for a brief moment and then brought her hand up to his, wrapping her much smaller fingers around his and squeezing gently.

"Thank you" she told him, her cheeks tinged with pink. It would be hard to forget the memories of her old life, even though she felt as if she had been reborn the moment she set foot into this mansion of a house. She lowered her eyes to the cards sitting in front of her. She had a two showing, which did not bode well for her odds of beating Soren, but it was hard to focus on the cards with the tight feeling of breathlessness in her chest and the oddly insistent beating of her heart against her ribs.

With her free hand, she turned over the card to reveal a jack. Twelve, the dealer had to hit. Turning over one of the cards from the deck, she revealed a three. Fifteen, she'd have to hit again. Turning over the last card, she placed it on top of the others, her lips turning in a wry smile. An eight.

"I owe you two questions, then, Soren."

He lets you collect yourself. He knows you will need a moment as he lets the game go on. When you finishes he asks his questions." Why are you afraid of me?" He asks his second question as well before you can answer." Why do you hide your face?" He finishes quietly. He dosent honestly expect you to answer such personal questions and he makes that known to you. He dosent want you to feel pressured over a game."You dont have to answer if you dont want to."He finishes quietly.

Thinking for a minute, her lips a slender dash across her face while she considered his questions, Morgan tried to not fidget with her hands too much. She bit her lip, her glass of water drained, and tried to formulate an answer to the questions. She didn't want to give him a flippant answer, he deserved more than that, and she didn't want him to think her unwilling to answer. She drew out her time a little by responding to his last statement first.

"It's fine. I don't mind answering you at all." She would have brought up that she'd agreed to answer any question, but she didn't want him to feel any sort of guilt on the matter. It wasn't as if he were forcing her, after all. She wanted to open up to the man a bit, to try to share some of herself with him. True, she reflected a little morosely, it wasn't what one would call a prize to have her opening her fragile, scarred soul to him but it was something and that much at least, she could do.

"I'm not afraid of you" she began first, steeling herself to lift her eyes and make eye contact with him. She was shy to look him in the face like this, but she wanted him to feel her sincerity. She cleared her throat and tried to begin again "I'm just a little bit... edgy. Hands near my face, you know. Just makes me a bit nervous. I'll... I'll get over it. I'm not afraid of you, though. As for hiding my face, well. The bruises make is ugly and people really focus on it. When I don't cover my face, I can feel their eyes over the bruises and practically hear their pity. Their gaze is heavy with pity. I don't like that."

Morgan squeezed his hand gently, her mouth softening from a line to its full cupid's bow once more. "Shall we play again, so I can ask you something?"

When you said you wernt afraid of him he brightens considerably. At your second answer he nods in understanding."But Morgan, underneath the brioses os quite a beautifull woman. If i may be so bold as to offer advice, i would reccomend you go out with your head held high and tell all that ask exactly how they happened. as long as you keep your pridefull stance then that pity will turn into admiration for enduring such abuse and still being able to walk tall. As for another round? Sure im game." He finishes quietly. The whole time he spoke he managed to keep his voice mellow and cool. His words however have that samne driving force and intensity you have come to expect from him.

Blushing deeply enough to put her orange locks to shame, Morgan shuffled the cards again. She was surprised that after struggling to think of questions before, she now wanted to win less for the sake of winning and more because she had questions that she wanted to ask him. Her hands trembled a little as she tried to split the deck and she dropped a couple of the cards, which made her have to start all over again. She couldn't understand why she was so shaken up over his words, why they affected her so. As she dealt the cards, she raised her eyes once more and happened to make eye contact with Soren before quickly focusing them on the cards once more.

Hardly aware of what exactly she was thinking, Morgan realized that the brief glance had made her chest feel tight and her heart seemed to be pounding obstinately against her ribcage. It was so loud, so insistent, that she was worried that someone might hear. A foolish thought, of course, but she couldn't even think of why she felt so oddly light-headed. Willing to write it off as exhaustion from a long and eventful day, Morgan thought that she might postpone any more playing after this game and retreat to the bedroom of choice.

An examination of her cards told her that she had a queen, facing up with that ever so melancholy expression next to the bright red heart of her suit. Morgan frowned down at the card before moving her hand so that it hovered over the deck of cards and placing the other atop her facedown card. She was ready for whether or not Soren decided to ask for another card.

Soren smiles lightly as he takes his cards, if he saw you fumble the cards he isnt going to mock you for it. He gives a raised eyebrow to you at your blush but remains silent again."Hit me" He says lightly as he takes his card. He sighs lightly in defeat. "A bust. I owe you a question Morgan."He makes light of it as he waits for you to ask whats on your mind.

Glancing up at Soren, Morgan tried to hide her amusement. She suspected that it was through no accident that he bust on his hand and she wouldn't have been surprised had he asked her to hit another card, even if he had been at eighteen. She gathered the cards up without mentioning this, however, stacking them all together in her hand while the tried to mull the words she wanted to say over in her head. She bit her lip while she did so, thinking hard to herself.

"Why did you choose to help me, Soren? I haven't got much to contribute, especially not to someone rich like yourself. I'm not especially pretty and I'm.. you know, damaged. I don't understand." Morgan tilted her whole face downward to avoid catching Soren's eye when she said the last part. True enough, he would probably argue with her, but it was a statement that could be no more argued than changed. Over time, she would heal. She wouldn't be broken anymore, soon enough, but when he whisked her away to this dream... she wasn't whole.

Having stacked the cards in neat order on the table, Morgan scooted her chair backwards, preparing to stand. She would take her leave when he'd answered her question, or perhaps when they'd talked some more. She couldn't focus on another game of blackjack, though.

He smiles. He knew this question would be asked but when you put yourself down in such a way his smile fades off."Morgan you mistake me for someone who expects anything from you. I do not, i help you because you deserve it. I have no ulterior motives. If you think im going to rape you you have another thing comeing. If you should desire to come into my bed than that will be decided later but for now. LIVE MORGAN! That is the best repayment you can give me."He finishes and takes his next hand. He knows you will need time to process that.