The Sangruis Society

"Oh? Oh, of course, certainly! Besides, I should talk to my husband before I meet with you, it's only right. I don't want him thinking that I make a habit of meeting with handsome men behind his back. So if he allows, I'd certainly like to meet with you to discuss my ambitions and any advice you have for me, that would be wonderful. I'm sure he'll agree; my husband is very understanding," she nodded happily, fiddling with her wedding ring at the talk of her husband. She was in love with him, undoubtedly, but she wasn't a fool, despite most people assuming her to be one. If anything, it was something she would have in common with Percival - others deeming them to be dim and ditzy, and underestimating how smart they could be.

She had noticed, for instance, that her husband smelled of a perfume she certainly didn't own. She also found his disappearances peculiar, though pretended to understand that he was 'busy'. It also wasn't hard to notice that there was a distinct lack of intimacy in their marriage. A few chaste kisses were shared, but nothing beyond that - certainly not sex, which she couldn't even recall having had for months. She didn't think he was with a man, but she did think something was going on behind her back.

"He's very supportive of my ambitions, actually. Surprisingly confident in me, but that's what a good husband does; he supports his wife, hm? And Forrest does that for the most part."

“Well, I sure hope he’s supportive of you. As you said, that’s what a good husband does! Now no more talk ofcuohr husband, I’d like to know more about your husband, I’d like to know more about you. If I’m to see you more often, I would at least like to understand who the lovely lady I’ll be helping is into, hm?” He purred as his head resting in a hand.

“For example, where are you from? You’re living in London now, of course, but I’d like to know the woman behind the glamour and stunning clothes,” he urged, his free hand holding her comfortingly.

Reactions: potassiumboron
She wasn't immune to a charming man, enjoying the compliments like anyone would, but she felt a tad on edge about accepting them so easily when Obediah was nearby. She wasn't aware that he was in support of the plan, knowing that, if it went smoothly, his brother would end up with a man he actually had romantic feelings for, and all he wanted was his happiness. All she knew was that her husband's brother was nearby and could go back to Forrest, telling him his wife had been chatting and smiling with a man who was quick to flirt with her.

It wasn't the ideal situation to be in when all she wanted was to get things back on track with her husband.

"...I'm from the countryside, I don't think you need specifics. We'll be moving back there soon," she replied as coldly as she would allow herself, without appearing rude. "There's nothing about me that I'd like to share. I have to be on edge around men I don't know. I've had a bad experience in London with an awful man last night; I'd rather keep to myself if that is alright?"

“Goodness - i didn’t mean to make you uncomfortable, ma’am,” he urged, sitting up almost instantly once noticing her discomfort with a frown. “Isabelle, yes? Obediah mentioned your name. That sounds dreadful, dear. I can assure you that the streets of London are safer more often than not, it must have been a fluke,” he reassured with clear and somewhat genuine concern, his hands moving from hers.

“If you need somewhere to be safe, I can assure you that you’re welcome here and we would love to have you. As you said, Obediah is trying to conquer an illness so take his words with a grain of salt,” he whispered. “... as for our meeting about your book, I spend most of my time here. If you insist on your husband joining, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind coming with you.”

"I can't imagine that he would want to come with me, actually. He's far too busy to dedicate his time towards my silly ambitions. I'm well aware that it's simply my latest phase in his mind, though he's glad to appease me because it gives him time to do what he really wants to, and lately, that's not being with me. Gosh, now I must apologise for dumping all of my drama on you! I just... don't get to talk to many people outside my husband, and recently, he chooses to be anywhere else but with me," she smiled politely, her own cheeks flushed at the sudden outburst of her marital issues. She didn't feel too bad about admitting it all, knowing that it needed to come off her chest, but she did feel a sense of dread if word went back to her husband that she was speaking of him behind her back.

She was unaware, of course, that in the context of things and in the comparison of his betrayal, her speaking about him really wasn't too bad.

"I also wouldn't want to meet here, should he actually agree to us meeting with you. I'd rather go to a restaurant or somewhere a tad more... relaxing? But as I say, my husband has to agree to it first."

“I don’t mind talking to you, Isabelle. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to vent your frustrations and I want to help. You seem like a lovely woman, why wouldnt I want to help you?” He praised, forcing back the urge to smile. If planting a seed of guilt convinced her to be unfaithful and instead pursue him, he was more than happy to accept it. Daring to once again take her hand, he used the other to neatly adjust the curtains tightly together to keep from even just a smidgen of light to peek through.

“You know, you’re quite a smart lady. How you found our little home is amazing, especially since this is a men’s club and typically women aren’t the ones to seek out our group. Of course I want to talk to the first woman to do that,” he continued, his eyes locked on her - something he was taught to find respectful. “This place is full of masculinity, it’s nice to break it up and speak with a beautiful woman.”

Reactions: potassiumboron
"...I wouldn't say you all exude masculine energies," she murmured softly with an unsubtle glance across to August who had wandered through with the promised biscuits, apparently uncaring of the fact he was still in his nightwear which, as usual, consisted of a women's nightgown and a silk robe over it. He hadn't bothered to alter his nighttime apparel when at Isabelle's home, so he had absolutely no intention of doing so now if it did make her uncomfortable. He could imagine that it probably did, given her wary glances and confused frown, though he simply offered a smile in reply.

If the men that entered his Society had learned to understand his dress sense, then he was sure Isabelle could too - and if she couldn't, he was counting on her determination to be seen as a 'lady' to stop any unwanted comments.

"Your husband and I are actually going out tonight," he remarked, knowing that it wasn't his place to break the news, especially when he clearly derived pleasure out of seeing her upset expression, but he couldn't help himself. It paid her back for the rudeness he had experienced from her over his time knowing her, after all. "A house tour, actually. I have a lovely townhouse ready for viewing in Chelsea; a friend will even give you a hefty discount. So he and I will be doing that tonight. Perhaps you ought to take advantage and have a meeting with Percival here? What Forrest doesn't know can't possibly hurt him."

“Oh, I agree,” perked Percival as he watched the awkward interaction, curious to at least try to cut out the tension. He didn’t blame Isabelle, after all; he had to get adjusted to August’s... quirkiness, but he accepted it quickly when he realized it wasn’t just a phase. Offering a comforting smile to the woman and a wary glance to the vampire, he decided to take the plate of biscuits to set between them.

“It would be nice. I can tell you don’t like being alone and if you didn’t, it would be another lonely night. I’d even be willing to walk with you safely, if you wanted. I don’t think I could live with myself if I found out you were attacked, my dear.” He reminded, his voice holding a purr behind it.

As Isabelle smiled automatically in reply, despite her earlier confession that she wanted to keep her distance, August observed the flirtatious interaction with his own smile; one that was undoubtedly impressed by his friend's skills. Unashamedly, August had flirted with Percival when he slowly drew him into the Society, naturally stopping when he realised there was no chance the other would swing his way. It was probably why he never realised that he was this charming - it was obviously reserved for women.

"You two are rather sweet, you know. You have the same energy and that's awfully important when making friends. As lovely as this city is, making genuine friends with a reputation like yours, as a Crownfield, can't be easy. I can vouch for Percival by telling you how honest and kind he is; really, he's a wonderful friend to me and always has been," gushed August helpfully as he folded one leg across the other, sipping at his coffee and blood mixture with a slow smirk. "...Now, Percival, you can spend all the time you want with her later on. I think it's best she returns to her husband now though, so say your goodbyes, darling."

“Perhaps you’re right,” sighed Percival, easing back in the chair with a petulant frown. “I shouldn’t keep you from your husband, of course not. I will miss your company, Isabelle. Of course, it isn’t like we’ll be gone for long, hm? Bring something to write with, I would love to offer you some tips at the very least the next time I see you. If you’re going to write a book, who better help than a publisher?” He lied with a chuckle.

“Let me lead you out,” he urged, offering his hand to help her up. “It’s the least I could, after all. When you hurry back to your husband, I’m sure you have plenty of good things to offer to him, since he’s so interested in our club. I may not have dressed the best I could have but I promise I’ll be better prepared next time. It’s the least I could do to treat you properly.”

"...You know, you should spend your energy charming someone other than me, I feel rather selfish having you devote your time to me when I'm unavailable. It's rather flattering, actually. I'm almost 30, I'm rather old for you even if I weren't happily married. You should stop the flirtatiousness. As flattered as I am, it isn't necessary; I'll be heading out with you for our meeting regardless of how kind you are to me. A business meeting doesn't require us to like one another," the woman reminded as she stood from the chair with the acceptance of his help, her cheeks still rosy from the unsubtly charming words. She did see herself as too old for the man, though the very fact that had entered her head made her feel guilty, as though her being younger would make her want to flirt with him in return.

It was sad that the stranger had shown more interest in he than her own husband had, which was primarily why she was warming to him as quickly as she was. The fact he was handsome was another main reason, of course, as was his accent. It wasn't posh and normally she'd turn her nose up at anyone she deemed from an inferior area than her own, but there was something about Percival's that made her feel all fluttery inside.

"...Well. I take it all back. You were on fire, Percival; you almost had me blushing," cooed August as the woman too her exit from the home, grinning over at his friend in evident approval. "She's falling for you, it's rather obvious. I don't know how you managed to warm her up, but you did. It was impressive, really."

“The fact that you doubted me is really heartbreaking,” replies Percival once Isabelle was on her way, clearing his throat. Setting his hands on his hips, his neutral expression grew quickly to a wicked grin. Doing a dramatic bow, he then headed to the kitchen.

“Don’t doubt me. I wasn’t lying when I said that I can get any woman I want, August. I’m sure you’re jealous, hm? This Forrest guy seems alright but I’m sure you wish you could have me, don’t you?” He purred teasingly before pouring another glass of the blood. “Remember that, Obediah. I’m not... as horrible as you all think I am.”

Obediah couldn't have felt worse than he already did - or at least, he thought he couldn't until Percival called him out, the already guilt-ridden vampire physically withdrawing behind his boyfriend a little as if he could avoid the situation entirely by doing so. When he realised that he couldn't just ignore it all, he coughed into his fist in an attempt to sound less anxious than he actually was, though the fact he gulped back his blood in a few seconds flat said differently.

"I... was just... concerned that you two wouldn't... connect. I appear to have misjudged her evident loneliness and need for someone to talk to who actually listens to her, and your... talent in charming her and simply being a friendly face. I... am sorry, Percival," he emphasised with a firm nod, clutching Pat's arm tightly in the effort to remind himself that he had his boyfriend beside him for support. He didn't want him jumping into the conversation to defend him when he was in the wrong, but just having him there was a relaxing presence for the notoriously nervous man.

"We... are still friends, aren't we? I won't doubt you again, I was silly and... underestimated just how lovely you are. Obviously Isabelle will like you, you're wonderful."

“Of course we’re still friends! If I stopped being friends with everyone who doubted me, I wouldn’t have any friends,” Percival reassures with a grin, offering Obediah a friendly pat on the back after he had poured his glass. He was hiding just how much it all hurt but he would rather stay friends and keep out of a fight than actually mention how he felt, though he didn’t want to lie and say that he was completely okay. He could have women fall for his flirts but he couldn’t lie to his friends nearly as well.

“Look, Percival, mate. Obediah just wants this to work out as smoothly as possible and August is on edge, don’t be mad at them, yeah?” Pat offered with an apologetic smile as he held Obediah close, much like a parent hiding their shy child. “What we should be focusing on now is getting Isabelle to fall madly in love with you and move on. Shouldn’t be too difficult, huh?”

"I am not on edge. I'm actually remarkably calm and, dare I say, optimistic. Forrest loves me - he hasn't said so yet but I think it's obvious, considering he's agreed to come to Paris with me which is the city of love, so... I'm fairly certain of his feelings for me. And now his darling wife is moaning about him behind his back and already discontented, all it takes is a handsome man to swoop in and charm her for her to realise her marriage is all but dead. So yes, I'm not on edge; I have nothing to be stressed about after Percival's frankly wonderful display," gushed August, going as far as to squeeze Percival's hand in his own as a show of appreciation, before filling up his cup with more coffee and a touch of blood to try and stay as alert as he could. He wanted to make plans for Paris, and allowing himself to relax would only cause him to procrastinate; something he didn't want when he was as happy as he was at the moment.

"She really is into you. It makes me happy that she's miserable in her marriage, which I know is cruel but if it means I get Forrest to myself, then I wish her nothing but more misery until she leaves him. Once she does, you don't have to bother yourself with dealing with her, Percival. As soon as the divorce is through, you can.... well, set your sights on a woman you actually like. I know there are rules in place about women being here, but I'd be glad to bend them for you if you do find a nice woman you like. It's the least I can do after your sacrifices in helping me," the leader smiled again as he pulled himself up onto the counter to sit, swinging his legs as he sipped carefully at the steaming coffee. "Obviously she won't be a full member, but I have nothing against you finding a nice human girl and bringing her here every now and then-- once this is all over, of course."

“Isabelle is a sweet woman,” Percival defended as his grin grew bashful from the praise. It rarely happened as of late, What with the fact that everyone had settled on the idea that he was some lovable oaf, so he didn’t really know how to respond to it quite yet. To hide his bashfulness, he covered his lips with the glass and took a sip. “I think she’s sweet and smart, I don’t know why you hate her so much... other than the fact that she’s Forrest’s wife. Perhaps she’s the girl I’ll bring around, hm? Then she’d be able to see Forrest as well, only this time she’ll be able to get a clue-“

“I overheard that you mentioned what you two are doing tonight,” Padraig added, his curiosity too piqued to care about cutting off the man. “Wouldn’t that be more reassuring to her? She thinks that he’s off cheating with some woman but instead he’s looking for a new home behind her back, to surprise her? At least, that’s how I would have perceived it. If I was Isabelle, I’d be ecstatic to learn my husband was going to surprise me with a cute city home. I don’t speak for everyone, I know, but,,, I guess it’s just what I would have thought. Unless you tell her she can’t live in this new house, I think she’d be more than happy with Forrest spending time with you.”

August was thankful for Padraig's interjection because it was highly likely that the fondness he had for Percival would have disappeared sharply at his defence of Isabelle. It was true that he had nothing against the woman other than the fact she had the man he loved at her side, but he felt that was enough of a reason to dislike her. He had also dealt with her confused glances at him and his attire which he chose to hold against her, despite the fact most people in London tended to look at him oddly for his 'daring' [for the time) fashion sense.

Thankfully, Pat saved him from losing his temper - even though his words didn't go down too well either, his expression souring when he realised that he wasn't due some complimentary gushes from his best friend. Instead, he sipped at his coffee as he dealt with what he felt were critiques, the only indication of how mad he was becoming being the tight jaw as he ground his teeth together.

"Pat, I'm sure that she'll be furious. She likes to be involved, doesn't she? Her husband buying a home with me, someone his brother called a monster, rather than consulting her, ought to hurt a little, hm? Equally, she's already miserable due to lack of time with her husband. I'm sure this'll grate on her," he nodded firmly, forcing himself to smile, albeit in a manner that said he wanted to hear nothing more on the topic. "Now, Percival... please don't push my patience with this Isabelle nonsense. You know I adore you; you are family to me, after all. So I want the best for you, and actively seeing that woman as a potential... love interest is utter balderdash. But enough said on that. I'm tired of talking; I have to prepare for tonight and get an outfit together to impress Forrest. I was thinking a corset and some dress pants-- but that might be a tad too 'out there' for the man."

“Forrest has seen you in much more unique attire, hasn’t he?” Reminded Pat as he offered Obediah a squeeze for comfort. It was always hard to watch his boyfriend grow uncomfortable over things like guilt, especially when that guilt wasn’t warranted. He had tried to build up the man’s self-esteem but that didn’t seem to be as easy as he expected.

He himself hadn’t always been the shining beacon of confidence but it was something that grew the more he did what he loved and spent time with people he cared about. He wanted the same for Obediah, naturally. He didn’t quite enjoy those things but he was willing to sacrifice... even if he felt he was sacrificing more than the other. He kept that to himself, of course, and instead offered a smile to August to calm his nerves.

“If the man was uncomfortable by that, then... he doesn’t really understand what modern clothing is either, huh? ‘Cuz I’d say your nightgown is more adventurous than a corset, though I don’t know shit about fashion. I’ll leave that to you, yeah?”

"...I'll see how I feel tonight. If he plans on whisking me to the bedroom for another intimate session, then a corset might not be the best choice By the time he's helped me undo all the laces, the passion might have dimmed a little. A light blouse is certainly easier for him to take off me, I suppose," he drawled aloud, pondering the issue more than he ought to given the very distinct possibility that Forrest might not even have the time to do as little as a few heated kisses, let alone the sex he was clearly hoping for.

He did stop himself pondering it further when realising that out of the three men stood near him, only Padraig would openly talk to him about his dilemma. Obediah naturally didn't want to discuss anything that involved talk of his brother having sex, the issue only making him cringe and look away with a frown, while Percival had problems of his own he ought to prioritise over August's love life. It was unfair to subject them to his issues, so wisely, he dropped that aspect of the conversation entirely.

"Well, I'll be picking Forrest up at the hotel at 7. Perhaps I could drop you off there, Percival? You could always pay Isabella an impromptu visit and say her husband allowed for your meeting to take place? May as well take advantage of her being alone without Forrest at risk of dropping in on you."

Teasingly, Padraig covered Obediah’s wars the moment August mentioned the bedroom, his eye rolling. He had his fair share of passionate sex, the society knew that to be a fact, but Obediah was the baby of their group so it was a well known joke that he be treated as one. It didn’t help that it was his brother that would be the victim to August’s allure.

“Just be safe, will you? You can be overbearing, August. You’ve come so far, I wouldn’t want you ruining this all now that you’ve got poor Percival a part of this,” Pat noted with a chuckle, only letting go of Obediah’s ears when he decided it was okay to speak.

“Oh, 7? Yes - that’s plenty of time to get ready,” perked up Percival, having dissociated from the conversation at the thought of what he would do. “So I will wear that suit that you picked, Obediah. I’m glad I can.”