The Ryos Flame

Miyako was such a beautiful woman. Her eyes reflected the moonlight within them and it made Kehario blush. Her voice was as soft as spring time and it made his heart skip a beat. "You are a very brave woman, Miyako." He brushed a strand of hair behind her ear with his thumb. He could feel his body tremble a little. Kehario raised her head up, slowly and gently, speaking in a soft tone. "Just standing here like this I-" He stopped in mid-sentence. He could not explain why, but he found himself bringing his face closer to Miyako's.

He tried to pull back, but the more he tried, the closer his face crept towards hers. There was a chance that she would reject him or even slap him for that matter, but, he didn't care. He like this magnetic pull from her and he wanted to experience this moment on a much greater level.

Miyako stared up into his nearing face. Her heart was slamming in her chest and she wasn't sure why. Was this what other women had described as interest in a man? "You... what?" she asked her voice even softer than it had been before when he'd been a good foot away. Her free hand that wasn't clutching her sandals reached up before pausing an inch away from the hand he was using to raise her head to look up at him. This was a bad idea--if she didn't take control of her body she would fall into this headlong dive. Her eyes closed halfway and she lowered her gaze, looking at the river that was moving around them, though she didn't lower her face.

This was bad. Kehario could not stop his lips from closing in on Miyako's lips. Part of him screamed no and part of him screamed yes. He whispered softly, as Miyako questioned him." I don't ever, ever, want to see you hurt like that again." He stopped just as his lips were two inches away from hers and lowered his eyes as she averted hers from his and looked at the river. He could feel his heart thump inside his chest and his hands shake, slightly.

The will to resist kissing her, was slowly depleting. Kehario pulled her closer.

The gap between them was so small. Miyako found herself moving across the void that separated them to complete the two inch travel. Her body was pushed against his and she wasn't really sure she minded it all that much. It was sturdy, and she knew he could fight well. Worry filled her as she felt her lips brush against his. She pulled her head back quickly though, so as not to seem--to seem what? Forward? Easy? Companionable? She reached up and tucked some of her hair behind her ear nervously before placing the hand against the front of his kimono. "I-I'm sorry, I-I really shouldn't have done that," she whispered as she bit her bottom lip self-consciously.

Keihario snapped back into reality as Miyako pulled back. He blinked twice then looked around. They were still standing in the river and the moonlight was still high in the sky. Kehario could hear Miyako apologizing and he turned his attention back towards her. "It is alright. I am to blame, for making such a pass on you like I have done. Please, forgive my stupidity." He said, in a low tone. Keihario released Miyako and turned away from her. "We should head back." There was a hit of sadness in his voice, but he did his best to mask it.

Miyako stumbled back a little as she was released and Kehario stepped away and turned his back on her. There was a snap as a group of young men from the village neared the river. Miyako quickly climbed from the river and stumbled passed the boys. One of them grabbed her wrist, stopping her from running the rest of the way to the village gate.

"Oh, look if it isn't the woman warrior," the one that had caught her drawled.

"Why are you out here alone? Shouldn't you be inside with all the rest of the good girls?" asked another.

"If you want to keep your lives, I suggest you leave me alone," Miyako said, her eyes flickering to the river to see if Kehario was still there. If he wasn't she would have to get out of this the hard way.

Keihario felt somewhat stupid. He also thought that maybe Miyako had hated him now. He had to make amends for what he did and show Miyako that he was sorry for upsetting her if he did. He looked around for her and started to worry, slightly. He had been so indulged in his thoughts, that he had not noticed that Miyako had exited the river and headed back to the village before him. He ran out of the river and made his way towards the village. The sound of voices could be heard as he closed in,

"Oh, look if it isn't the woman warrior," the one that had caught her drawled.

"Why are you out here alone? Shouldn't you be inside with all the rest of the good girls?"

"If you want to keep your lives, I suggest you leave me alone."

Keihario could see a group of men. They were surrounding Miyako. One of the men had his hand around her waist, and she was trying to get away from him. Keihario stopped about two feet away from them and reached on his left side. His head snapped to his side. He had completely forgotten that his sword was taken. Sword or no sword, he was not going to allow Miyako to get hurt again. Kehario wasted no time in charging the man that held Miyako and sent a swift pnch to his right jaw, sending him stumbling back. A second after, he kicked a man that was standing left of the other one he punched.

He grabbed Miyako's right hand and lead her away from the men as he ran, making sure she kept pace with him. "I have a plan." He said, as he dashed passed trees and broken branches. He looked back at Miyako, then at the men who chased them.

Miyako had been about to shove her palm into his nose, shoving the nose bone straight into his skull and killing him. Instead she was released and then was pulled behind a man in a kimono that was damp. He had punched them and they were running. “Kehario,” she gasped as she kept up with him, though she didn’t pull her hand away from his. “We should go back and simply tell them that they were drunk and wouldn’t leave me alone. They have your sword, our packs!” she called, looking over her shoulder at the men that were following them.

(Sorry this is so short. >< Doing this during class)

​Kehario continued to run, while he listened to Miyako. He could feel the wind sting his body with a cold chill as it swiftly passed his body. He ignored and gripped Miyako's hand tighter. "We'll notify the village chief, but for now-" They came towards an alley on their right that crept up slowly."We'll just have to hide from them." He said, taking a sharp right, pulling Miako into the dark alley with him. It was nighttime, so they would be masked from the men that was chasing them. He press his back firmly against the wall of the house on the left, behind him. Kehario pulled Miyako close to him with her back facing him.

He placed his right hand over her mouth and wrapped his left arm around her waist. Waiting for the men to pass, as his hair fell over his left eye.

Miyako didn't have any problem keeping up with him when he increased their speed and then pulled them into the dark alleyway. She felt his arm go around her waist but there was no time for her mind to take anything romantic from this as she pressed back against him to hide even deeper into the shadows because of her turquoise dress. "Mmwm!" She tried to say but his hand was over mouth. She supposed that the water made the turquoise darker and less noticable but who in their right tracking mind would miss something as basic as that in a dark alleyway. You should have put me against the wall and hidden me with your kimono, she thought worriedly as her eyes watched the entrance tot he alleyway. She had to admit that the stomach and chest that her back pressed against did feel comfortingly solid. She closed her eyes and waited. She reached up and pulled his hand away from her mouth, regulating her breathe so that it was barely audible. It had started to become stale under his hand.

Finally the men passed the alley and kept going.

Keihario felt Miyako move his hand away from her mouth. She had begun to catch her breath and he watched, as the men ran by. They were safe and it was a relief that he was able to save Miyako." Are you okay, Miyako?" He said, as he removed his hand from her waist, turning her to face him. He looked into her eyes and brushed strands of hair on either sides of her face, behind her ears. He smiled at her and held her face in his palms.

"We should head back to the village and notify the chief about what has happened. I am sure that he will take care of things."

Miyako looked up at him as he touched her hair before looking away, the memory of the kiss still fresh in her mind despite the chase. "Or we can just go back and get our stuff and leave after refilling our bottles. There seems no reason to bother these people when their lads are simply drunk. Let us just leave and be done with this town," she said. She reached up and took his hands in hers and pulled them gently off her face, keeping them in her hands for a moment before letting her hands drop back to her side. It was too much really. One day and it already hurt to be so close to him. He would find a girl somewhere along their travels and where would Miyako be? Left in the dust, her more cynical side told her as she smiled up at him and turned to try and find her way back to the hut that housed her clothes and weapons. If Kehario wished to stay, he could, but she was going to leave this village and sleep in the forest where she felt safe from the human vipers that surrounded her.

Kehario didn't make any effort to speak after Miyako had finished. Instead, he followed her, quietly. She was acting so strangely now, as if she was hiding something. But, he wasn't one to pry so he left her to her thoughts. Her hair swayed in the wind and the crickets could be heard chirping, as well as frogs croaking. Kehario's eyes lowered as he gazed at Miyako. "Miyako..." Kehario said, in a soft tone. He could feel something was wrong and it troubled him. "Is everything alright?"

The young woman stared ahead of her as she came to a stop. It took her a moment but she turned and smiled at him. “Kehario,” she said with her kindest tone. “The only problem that there is at the moment is that there is an evil demon out there killing innocent people. There is little else wrong than that.” If there was one thing that Miyako was good at it was hiding her feelings when she was given a chance and not rushed.

No the problem at the moment was that she didn’t want her body to feel so weird when she spoke to him. She didn’t want to be in pain like that. She could take the pain of a wound. She could take the hatred from groups of people that didn’t know her. She couldn't take that closeness and hurt from someone getting close to her. It was against her whole nature. “We should get our stuff and leave separately. I’ll meet you on the road to the east.”

Kehario stood quietly for a few moments and listened. " Yes, you are right. There are people who need us and we have to save them." Keihario said, as he gave her a soft look, before walking pass her. He stopped a few steps with his back facing her. He started to speak, but stopped himself and continued to head towards the village.

When he made it into the village, he headed towards the hut and gathered his equipment. "Leaving so soon, lad?"Kehario turned around in suprise and smiled at the man. " Yes sir, I thank you for you generosity and I am very grateful." Kehario said, bowing.

Miyako watched him pause and then move off. Had he been about to say something to her? Sighing as he was out of view she turned and walked back towards the hut where she had changed. When she entered it she saw several women sitting and chatting. They trned to look at her in surprise.

"We thought you would have slept in the hut with your man that the elder was going to give you," one woman that Miyako remembered combing her hair said.

Miyako lowered her gaze and giggled softly, unable to help it. "Who? Kehario? He's not my man. We are simply warriors that travel together. In fact we only met today. It would be silly to say that I was his or he was mine so soon, not that he has any interest in a woman warrior like me," she said gently before starting to undo the bow at her back that kept her kimono shut. "I'm just here to return this and gather my own items. I'm afraid that I will need to keep moving."

Amid distressed voices of the girls, Miyako stripped to her underclothing and picked up what she had worn after the fight. It was passable as traveling clothes. Sighing she pulled on the clothes and blinked as the turquoise kimono was held out to her by one of the women.

"Please, take this as our thanks for saving us. We really should pay you more but," the woman holding it said, her eyes lowered.

Miyako stared at the garment and then up at the women again before a weak smile appeared and she took the clothe carefully. "Thank you, I'll cherish this I swear," she whispered and packed it deep in her back where it would be safe from stains or sight. With that done she quickly exited the hut and the village until she was on the Eastern road and she sat next to a tree, waiting for Kehario to appear.

The old man smiled at Kehario. "So what happened to your woman? I saw you two leave earlier after being chased by a few of our younger members of the village. Forgive them, they were drunk and weren't aware of their actions." Kehario smiled at the man." It is alright, elder. Also, Miyako isn't my woman. She is my warrior ally." Kehario looked back ahead of him, and then down at his gear. A saddened look came on his face, but he quickly shook it off.

He began thinking about Miyako. "Well, that is a shame, Kehario. She is a very beautiful woman. You shouldn't let a woman like her go. It is a rarity to see such beauty as hers nowadays." kehario blushed madly and turned around to see the village elder walking away as he chuckled lightly. He only stood in place for a little longer, then turned his attention away from him. Kehario changed into his gear and then packed away the kimono.

He made his way out of the hut and headed towards the main gate of the village. -Miyako-

Miyako had fallen asleep, the tiredness from the fight finally catching up with her. A snap of a twig close enough awoke her though and she reached up and wiped her sleep away. "Kehario?" She called, looking around for her traveling companion.

In response a hand went over her mouth and something grabbed her arms and another something grabbed her feet. As her eyes cleared she gasped as she stared up at the young man that had grabbed her write before. She started to struggle but didn't get very far since each of his friends were holding one of her limps. She couldn't even scream for he forced a cloth in her mouth before tearing open her kimono's front with a knife he had produced. Her limps went stiff as he cut into her stomach. It was just enough to leave a scar but not enough to mortally wound her. Before she knew it they were off, melting into the darkness, leaving her there to stare at her bleeding stomach in frightful shock. Her fingers reached down and touched the wound, her eyes reading over the characters. 'Demon Whore'. She felt sick. Her breathing became shallow. How had she let this happen?

Keiharo stopped at the gates entrance and looked back at the village. Confetti and fireworks laid scattered throughout the village. The villagers had really enjoyed themselves and Keihario smiled. He turned around and bowed. He wouldn't see the village or the villagers anymore, due to his travels. But, he prayed for their safety and and that they all stayed in good health. He stood upright and looked back over at the hut where he had changed. For some reason, Kehario felt like this place was his home. Even though it wasn't similar in appearance.

He shook his head. Thoughts as such could not cloud his mind. Keihario had a task at hand, and that was to meet Miyako to the east and travel onward to find the demon. His eyes came to a lower, as he pushed his hair out of his left eye. Miyako had started to fill his mind again. Only this time, he had a bad feeling. Perhaps, it was only his imagination. Kehario walked along the path and fell into deep thought. He was thinking of ways to prove to Miyako that she was more than just a warrior who was worthy of being loved in many ways.

Each step took him closer and closer to the destined location. He could see a group of men running towards him and he continued to walk, keeping his left hand on his sword, The men ran right by him as if they didn't notice. But, Keihario recognized who they were. It was the group of men he had saved Miyako from earlier. They had devious looks on their faces and the man who grasped Miyako's waist was carrying a knife. He examined it closer and could see traces of blood on it.

Blood? The question ran through his mind, before a look of shock rested on his face. They had ran from the direction of the East along the path which....."Oh no! Miyako!" He yelled out, as he dashed further down the path. His first thoughts were to pursue the men and question them, but each second was vital. If Miyako did in fact get injured, he had to attend to her and in return, he could find out if the men were the culprits. Soon, a tree along the spot where they were to meet, came into view. Keihario could see someone, a woman, coming into view as he grew closer.

His eyes widened and shook. There, laying under a tree, holding her stomach, was Miyako staring down in shock and fear as well. He wasted no time in rushing towards her and dropping his sword next to the tree. He knelled down and wrapped his arms around Miyako's shoulder's and placed the center of her back on his knees. He removed her hand and could see a bleeding wound in her stomach where the man had cut. "Hang on Miyako!" he had remembered that she carried a first aid kit in her bag and he laid her gently, but quickly on the ground.

He searched through the bag and took out some ointment and bandages that she carried. He then turned to her and placed her hands gently at her sides and ripped open her shirt. He could see the wound clearly now. Although she laid half-naked in front of his eyes, he kept his attention on her wound. "Forgive me, Miyako he said, softly, as he placed some ointment on the wound." He knew full well that she would be in a lot of pain, but he had to keep her wound clean. After he finished covering the wound with ointment, he began wrapping the wound until it was completely covered, He wiped his forehead then looked her body over and blushing, before removing his shirt and placing it over her body to cover her.

He then laid her gently on the ground and sat against the tree, close to her. He watched over her, feeling his eyes grow heavy as he started to drift off into sleep.

Miyako stared at him and didn't really see anything as white pain of the wound clouded her vision. Whens he felt something lay over her she opened her eyes and looked around. The pain was less. He must have found the ointment that numbed wounds. She closed her eyes and tried to push herself up. A whimper left her lips before she bit her lip to keep it from waking up the man against the tree.

She pushed the cloth that shielded her body from view away and looked at her stomach. The characters were burned into her stomach and as she looked at the wrapping she felt that sudden sense of dread again. She flopped back despite the pain that it caused and sniffled softly.

"I should have paid attention. I should have paid more attention and not slept," she whispered, berating herself softly so as not to wake up the other that had helped her.