The Ryos Flame

The moment Kehario and Miyako entered the village, they were separated by a group of women. When the woman grabbed his arm and dragged him away from Miyako, he blushed. He looked back at Miyako, who had a suprised look on her face. "w-wait a sec, what about Miyako?" He asked, in a worried voice. The woman had introduced herself as Minako and informed him that Miyako will be okay. She also had told him that he would be receiving a change of clothes. Kehario turned his attention towards the hut where the woman took him in.

A few minutes later, he returned outside dressed in a Male Kimono.

male_kimono2.jpg

He blinked twice and blushed. She had even took his sword. Minako told him that he was to enjoy the festival only. Kehario looked down at the ground as a the woman giggled and mumbled, batting eyes and giving him looks. While the males joked about how he looked nervous and embarrassed. Kehario blushed. He averted his eyes from the ground and looked around the village. The village was booming with live and the music played loudly. Kehario continued to scan the village, until he saw a beautiful woman dressed in a kimono as well. At first he could not recognize her, but hwen he took a few steps closer, brushing passed villagers, he stopped in awe. "M-miyako?!" He said, in a shaky voice. The sight of her in a Kimono made him speechless.

Fireworks shot upward into the air and flashed brightly. The light shined down on the right sight of his face and Kehario on ly stood in place, gazing at Miyako.

Had she heard her name? She turned halfway to look back to where she had thought she had heard her name. Just as her eyes locked on Kehario the fireworks flashed and she blinked, a light pink color coming to her cheeks as she stared at the young man that stood before her. She hadn't thought that he would look so well in the traditional kimono. As another set of fireworks went off in the sky, she slowly raised her hand in a wave. What if the young man that had caught her eyes wasn't Kehario? Oh she hated festivals. One wrong hand wave at a complete stranger and you were the laughing stalk of the town for at least a month.

A (obviously) drunk young man stepped in front of Miyako ad she took a step back, staring up at the youth. "Oy, don't leave," he drawled, his foul breath rushing over her face as he grabbed the wrist of the hand that had been inching up to wave at Kehario. "You travel with that kid but you won't give me the time of day? Wench." And then the man was stumbling off before anyone could do anything about him. No one but her had heard the words that had passed between Miyako and the drunk either so for all anyone around them knew, he has simply thanked her for saving them. But her face was one bright red light in the middle of the festival as she stared after him. Her eyes finally cast about for that familiar-yet-unfamiliar face that she had at one time not too long before thought had been Kehario.

Kehario continued to gaze at Miyako in awe. Just the sight of her in the beautiful kimono alone, made him look at her entirely different. He brushed passed a few more people as the fireworks lit up the sky. A few guys were drunk and some of their breathes even lingers in the air when he made his way close to them. They all were acting as if nothing happened. But, that was a good thing. Kehario looked as Miyako slowly raised her hand to wave at him, only to be stopped by a drunk villager.

He could see Miyako jump back a little bit and the man grab her wrist. Kehario gritted his teeth, then brushed past a few more villagers. He couldn't allow her to get hurt. But, as he made it closer to the two, the man let Miyako go and walked away. Kehario stopped in his place and resumed staring at Miyako, with a slight blush as she waved at him again. He waved back and began walking again,stopping when he was face to face with her. He looked down at the ground, shyly as he spoke. "You look very beautiful in your kimono, Miyako." His voice shook, slightly.

Miyako had been hoping that the individual she had seen wasn't Kehario; that she could get away with slipping off quietly and sitting in a deserted house until the festival was over. But it had been him and now he was speak to her about her kimono. She looked down at it to give herself an excuse to hide her blush as he complimented it. "It's too much color for me. It would make a target out of a sparrow if they wore this color," she said to hide her pleasure at being called beautiful. "You look really good yourself though. You were built to fit into those I think."

She jumped a bit, turning to look into the air as a pair of rather loud firecrackers went off behind her, her hunter instincts taking over for a moment. However those hunter instincts were not used to her having on unfamiliar shoes. As she jumped she took a step back to take a fighting stance and she mis-stepped. Back she went into Kehario with a squeak of surprise.

Kehario blushed even more as Miyako had complemented him. When she had spoken about how the kimono made her stand out, he looked back up at her. He caught a glimpse of her blush as she looked down. She seemed rather embarrassed that he had given her complement. He smiled, lightly as his face and body was lit up by the fireworks show. He drowned out the noise, only focusing his attention on Miyako and her soothing voice.

Her head shot upward as a burst of fireworks set off behind her. Kehario chuckled, slightly, before he parted his lips to speak."Miyako, you should relax, everything is fine for now. You don't need to worry, I am sure that their won't be any disturbances at this festival." Kehario walked next to her right side facing the opposite direction and extended his bent left arm. " Lets go for a walk, Miyako. Perhaps it will help you relax a bit."He said, smiling with his eyes closed, as he turned his head towards her.

Miyako looked at him and blushed a little at her twitchy nature. “It is hard to relax Kehario. There may be demons or worse out there,” she told him though she took arm as he closed his eyes. She was glad for the sleeves that he had on which prevented him from feeling her palms which were rough even to the pads of her fingers. This was her biggest self-conscious thing about her. She hated how her hands felt—but they had to be that way so she could fight.

“A walk would be nice though. Take slow steps. I’m not used to wearing such constricting outfits like these anymore,” she said, stepping close to him as several other villages pushed past her. “Just get me away from these villagers please.”

"As you wish, Miyako. I could use the quiet myself. I am not used to all the attention." As Miyako grabbed onto his arm, he walked at a steady pace with her, so that she could keep up with him.They exited the village and walked left, along the river. The night was being beautifully lit up. The fireworks show seemed like it would go on forever without end. Kehario looked up at a cherry blossom tree a little ways off from the village, to the left of them. It swayed left with the wind and a few petals fell downward and around them. Even through all the fireworks, there was still a bit of moonlit that squeezed through, and touched the tree.

Kehario stopped with Miyako and extended his free hand, using his index finger to point at the tree. "Look at how beautiful it is, Miyako."

Miyako slowly relaxed as they got further from the village. Before Kehario had even pointed it out, her eyes had already sought out the tree. She looked at the river and smiled. A path of sorts was made out of rocks. She pulled her hand away from his and reached down to pull off her sandals. Then she pulled the bottom of her kimono up and stopped across the river carefully until she reached the other side and looked back.

“Come on,” she said looking over shoulder before walking underneath the cherry blossoms that fell. She let out a girlish giggle and spun underneath it, relaxing far more around the young man than she had over the time that she’d known her. She reached out and caught a cherry blossom on her hand and smiled back at him.

Kehario looked at Miyako in confusion as she took of her sandals. He watched as she walked across the river, after holding up the bottom of her kimono. He watched as the cherry blossoms fell around slowly, dancing with the wind that swayed them. Kehario's eyes lit and tried to speak, but no words would manifest. After she was across, he shook his head when she called out to him. He glanced at her and noticed that she had finally made it to the other side.

He took off his sandals as well, then held up the bottom of his kimono and walked across the river. He made it to the center then slipped and fell backwards. A loud splash rang out and he quickly jumped up. Kehario shook his head then blinked twice, before finally making it to the other side. "Well, looks like I wasn't watching where I walked." He said, playfully as he rung out his kimono.

Miyako had jerked around to look at him as he fell and put a hand over her mouth. A giggle could be heard from her though as she looked at him wringing out his kimono. She came over to him and reached out to touch his drenched kimono’s material. She took the sleeve of the arm that he was not wringing out and began to wring that out to help her fellow warrior get drier quicker.

“You really should pay attention to what you are doing Kehario. A mistake like that could cost you something important someday,” she said—she meant a limb or other form of loss but it occurred to her that it could be taken another way and she found herself shoving a strand of hair behind her ear. “I do agree though, that the blossoms can be distractingly beautiful.” She meant this to soften her giggle and words from earlier though she felt more flustered than she already had been. She let her hands drop down to her sides having wrung out as much water as she could.

Kehario smiled as she helped him ring out his kimono. She was very sweet, for a warrior. Then again, she was still a woman, with emotions and feelings. " Yes, you are right. It could cause me my life or even yours. In all honesty, I would be devastated if you were to- " He felt his cheeks burn with a blush and he turned sharply too the left, after Miyako released his sleeve and walked fast, but at a pace she could easily catch up. He couldn't believe that he had said those words to Miyako. Kehario felt embarrassment build and he didn't look back at Miyako.

His heart thumped as well. -This feeling again. Why is it here again?- He looked up at the Sky as his blush disappeared, speaking softly. " The fireworks are truly a sight to see. I-I am glad that I received the chance to see this beauty with you. Hopefully, together, we can bring this world out of dark grip of the demon of legend." He lowered his head once more as he looked ahead of him, stopping in his tracks.

Miyako stared after him, the grass beneath her feet cooling them as she felt her body grow hot with embarrassment as well as confusion. 'I would be devastated if you were to... what? What had he been about to say? And why had he turned so quickly away from her? A majority of his outfit was still damp and the sooner they got the water out the better. She watched as he walked away and then stopped as he looked at the sky and spoke of freeing the world of the demon and how he was happy to see the fireworks in the sky with her. Her shoulders sagged a big as she remembered their quest--for the shortest time she had managed to forget completely about it. First the festival and then the walk by the river and then him falling into the water and joking about it.

She picked up her chin though and walked to join him, looking up out at the forest that was dark despite the bright moon and the fireworks and lights from the village so that he wouldn't see her face. She didn't know why, but him bringing up the demon had lowered her entire mood. Right, we have to depend on each other to finish off the demon. After that he will probably go off on his own and find a wife and live with her, she thought to herself. She would return home and ... And what? her more analytical side said.

"We may never see another night as beautiful as this," She said, the reality of it hitting her hard. She'd thought of it before, sure. That she wouldn't survive, or she'd be so mangled after the battle that she would die shortly after it, or worse yet she would return home scarred and unappealing to everyone, even her family. Would she be able to look at fireworks and cherry blossoms and think of beauty once their fight was over? Starting then was the beginning of lasts, for she did not see a future in which she would see things as pretty or beautiful.

He continued to look up at the sky and sighed,sadly. He honestly couldn't relax for too long. The thoughts of his dead friends and family began haunting him and he could feel a stinging pain build in his chest. The battle would be tough and he wan't sure that he or Miyako would survive. He was slightly scared, but furious at the same time. Now, he had a companion who he didn't want to see die. He began to think about how she felt as if she could be nothing more than just a warrior, with scars that no man would ever think to approach.

But, she was wrong, he hadn't realized it at first, but perhaps their meeting wasn't coincidence. Maybe, it was supposed to happen. No, he shouldn't jump to conclusions about it. He looked to his left as Miyako made her way over to him and stood by his side. The fireworks continued to light up the sky and he watched her as she spoke, looking up. "Yes, that is true. As much as we both may try to deny it, their may be a chance we may not live. If this demon is as the legends state. But, as I have said before, I will protect you. Together we will save these people."

Miyako turned her gaze on the man next to her and felt a tad bit of embarrassment at the certainty that he had when he spoke of protecting her. She turned to him and put a hand on his damp kimono arm to draw his attention from the sky to her. "When you say it Kehario, I can almost believe that we will defeat the creature. I hope we do. I hope your predictions are as true as you are. But, Kehario, don't sacrifice your life for me. I beg of you not to do that for me. I don't think that I could deal with knowing that anyone gave their life for me, especially the one person that already almost has," she said before looking back towards the cherry blossom tree and the way that led to the village. She could feel her cheeks light up as she spoke. No one had ever sacrificed themselves for her, and she wasn't really sure how to take the fact that he had attempted to when the Draite had been bringing her clawed hand down upon her head.

"If they hadn't taken our stuff before throwing us into that mess I would have suggested leaving. As nice as it would be to sleep here on a bed for once, I can't help but feel unwelcome here. The happiness is almost too much. I'm not one for festivals though, so if you wish to return I would not blame you. I would rather stay here under the trees--at least then I know I will not step on anyone's toes or have to explain anything to anyone." Her tone was almost wistful, but she kept as much of it back so as not to sound whiny. She truly just wanted to get out of the uncomfortable position that she had gotten into with her speaking of sacrifice. Could he see through that though? Could he see that she didn't have the foggiest of clues why her stomach dropped to the floor when she thought of living while he did not? Could he see that she was completely lost in these strange waters that she had found herself in?

"You shouldn't worry about things like that. When a man offers to protect a woman, its because he cares. When you care for someone, you never think twice about protecting them, or doing what you can to see them smile. I wish for you to be happy, Miyako. I understand completely, that this is all new to you. As well as I cannot blame you if you are not comfortable with what I say." He looked back up at the cherry blossom tree. It was such a beautiful sight. The fireworks had died down and the moon light emitted a ray of light. The light touched Kehario gently and he seemed to shine as one with the moon as the cherry blossoms fell around him.

"If you will sleep here, then I will stay here-." He looked at her as he continued."by your side and rest with you. I don't want anything to happen to you. Even if you are skeptical around me. I will be right here, always. I know we have only just met, but I can sense a good within you. I also enjoy your company. I have never had a companion before, and it feels very good. You also showed me that it is alright to let people help me. But, I want you to let me protect you as well. You have much to live for and you are young as well. Don't be so down on yourself. You should have more confidence, any man would be lucky to have you as a companion or wife. You shouldn't feel as if you aren't worthy of being protected by people. I understand that you have been alone for a long time and so have I. But, faith has brought us together and honestly, I am glad that it did." He spoke, softly as he smiled.

Miyako blinked up at him, a frown coming upon her face. Companion? she thought. She had heard of 'companions' among men. But at the same time she didn't think that he meant it the way most people did--at least not until he told her any man would be lucky to have her as a companion or wife. Her face colored with shame and anger. "I think you are calling me the wrong thing, sir," she said, her shoulders stiffening. "I do not intend to be a companion to anyone. A companion is not a warrior. A companion earns her keep on her back. I am part of your party--a warrior. And any man that thinks I would accept being a companion will have three arrows in him before he finishes the offer." Miyako would have made an elegant and stately exit at that time across the river but, not used to the constricting nature of her new kimono, she took a step that was too large and tripped in her hurry to get away from the man. She cried out and curled into a ball as her body hit the ground, a root of one of the trees digging into her side sending the wind out of her with no reserve. She gasped, trying to fill her lungs. Today was not her day.

She didn't wait for help. Shame and embarrassment sent her scurrying to her feet, hopping across the river stones as she hiked up her kimono. She let out another cry as her foot slipped and it was her turn to fall into the water. She sat there as the water pushed past her getting her wetter and wetter. Her dark hair hug around her, hiding her face from the man. Any attempts at being serious about her lack of interest in being a 'companion' was gone. She felt like a silly child with no coordination; not a warrior trained for battle. Any serious thoughts he had had abut her as a warrior would be gone, she thought as she pushed herself up from the riverbank, though she didn't climb out of the water immediately, looking around for the pair of sandals that she'd dropped, though they had already washed away down the stream.

Kehario watched as Miyako ran away after speaking. He had upset Miyako, but that wasn't his intentions. He watched as she ran away, with her hair flowing in the wind. It was strange that she just took off or in the least, got offended. She ran towards the river and fell, dropping her sandals. Kehario watched the sandals washed his way. He dropped his own sandals to the ground and jumped in the water quickly, fishing her sandals out of the water.

He turned his attention back to Miyako, who was standing in her place, staring blankly. Kehario looked down at the sandals and then back at Miyako. His eyes slanted and he let out a sigh, before making his way towards Miyako and grabbing her left arm with his right hand. "Miyako, listen, I am sorry. I didn't mean it that way I-" He felt her hands. "You're hands-"

Miyako looked up at him from behind her when he grabbed her arm and then it was too late--he could feel the palm of her hand. Her gaze flicked up into his face before she reached out and took the sandals he had retrieved for her with her free hand. And then silently, she gently pried her hand from his grasp, holding it and the sandals against her chest as if it were the last form of protection from whatever was coming. "I could have paid to replace these," She said softly, her grasp on the shoes tightening for a moment before she lowered her gaze to his kimono. "You are getting wet again. You really should learn not to do that," she said thought it didn't seem that she was going to make any movement to leave the water herself. She felt grounded there, waiting for some kind of snicker or remark about her hands. She'd heard most of it before. She couldn't embroider like her mother and sister could because her fingers and palms frayed the material and thread with their roughness. She couldn't touch anything as softly as she had when she was a child. But she had grown callous, like her hands, against the remarks of those from her village--would she be able to remain calm and unbending to any ridicule from Kehario? Especially with him looking so handsome under the moon, even if he was a tad bit soaked.

Keihario knew full well that Miyako was self conscious about her hands. They felt slightly rough, but also soft. He was sure that they had roughened during many battles she had endured as a warrior. "I understand that, Miyako. But, by the way you reacted when I grabbed your hand, you feel that I may speak ill of them. You must have endured much ridicule because of that. I couldn't begin to understand what you had to deal with in your past, but, I can assure you that you don't have to worry about that with me, Miyako.

I want you to feel comfortable with who you are. You can be yourself, enjoy things that a woman enjoys. Its alright to be strong-" He walked close to her once more as he spoke, gently grasping her left hand with his right one. It didn't matter to him, that her hands were rough. She was still a woman. A woman with emotions and feelings, and she deserved to smile. "but, you don't have to be strong all the time. Its alright to relax and just enjoy life." He said, in a gentle tone. Kehario couldn't explain it himself. He placed his left hand on the right side and turned Miyako's head toward him and gazed deeply into her eyes*

"Miyako...." His voice echoed, softly as the moonlight beamed of the right side of his face.

Miyako couldn't help but stare up at the young man that stood in front of him. His touch on her cheek made her blink a little bit and shuddered in surprise. No had had ever touched her gently there. And then the moonlight was directly on his face and illuminating the man gently. Her stomach dropped and she found herself blushing. "You are a strange man, Kehario," she whispered softly, staring up into his face. "Why are you standing so close to me? And why are you looking at me like this?" She didn't really want to know if it were something bad but at the same time the small part of her was hoping that it was something bigger than simple a complain about her.