The Runaways: Origin

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lingering ache that followed the initial headache from having his mind assaulted by foreign thoughts left Riley completely oblivious to everything around him momentarily. In the middle of rubbing the space between his eyes however, a sudden voice startled him and caused him to jerk his hand away from his face and send his glasses sailing down to the floor. "Oh, uh..", he started off distracted, squinting to scan the floor for his lost specs. On finding them he bent at the knee to swipe them and return them to their proper place, finally responding to the woman when he stood straight again, "Oh, yes ma'am! Thank you."

The young man adjusted the strap of his bag, looking back over his shoulder for a brief moment. He could swear it felt like someone was watching him.. Of course he had just been bugging random customers, so it could be expected. Riley shrugged it off, turning back toward the greeter. "I still have no idea what I should try.. Even if I knew what any of this stuff was, I'm not even really familiar with the taste of -cooked- fish", he admitted, pausing for a moment to think, "Say, it's usually a bad idea to eat uncooked meat and things, right? What makes raw fish safe to eat?" By the look on his face you'd more curiosity than suspicion, brow raised and head tilted some. Just as soon as he'd gotten the feeling of being watched he'd completely put it out of his mind.

Reactions: Ex Machina
It was antagonizing; the traffic, the music stations, and the gas stations along the way simply made Aaron wish she had taken a better route of transportation. The Amtrak would have been splendid. I think taking a can wouldn't have been half bad either. Her feet ached even more so after kicking off her sneakers an hour ago and the silence in the rental car was making the young woman go insane! She groaned like a child, shaking her whole body to wake up every fiber and cell, but by the way the old lady next to her was staring, Aaron must have looked like a looney fresh out of the bin. She waved towards the woman and stepped on the gas ever-so-slightly to get away from her elder eyes. Where am I? She looked up at the interstate sign and her dash. She had just passed Parssipany and was going on sixteen miles down interstate 80 West. It has only been an hour and a half. Damn this traffic!

The fiery spirit fished out a different map, one she got at the Shell station four miles back, and quickly gazed down at it. "So I have about fifty more miles until I need to turn off the interstate... Great, that's about five hours in this fucking traffic!" Angered, bored, and lonely, Aaron threw the map behind the driver seat where a Dunkin' Donuts box, McDonalds bag, and several Slim Jim wrappers littered the interior of the Honda.

She sighed, turning the radio on and tuning it for about three minutes until a decent song reverberated through the car. With a shake of her head, the young woman focused on her drive and calmed herself, ready to stop at any cool looking monuments that's she passed. Truthfully, she hated being cooped up in a car for thirty minutes, let alone, "Ten more goddamn hours." She gripped the steering wheel, flicked on her blinker, and merged into the left lane--the sound of Mumford & Sons playing in her ears.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elliana pulled up to the local Michael's, and walked in to grab a journal book. 'It'll be a good idea to keep track of this stuff. Who knows, someone might read it!' The thought made her chuckle under her breath. Who would read that? No one she knew. As she browsed the books, Elliana couldn't help but think back to the last few months. The day she woke up and realized she had powers, the weeks of locking herself in her bedroom, discovering she had power over shadows. 'Hey, that's a great idea for a first entry! I mean, everything needs an intro.' She picked out a brown writing book, and looked at the price. 'Five dollars? I can spare it.' She checked out, and sat down outside.

After checking out, Elliana climbed back into the car, the door nearly closing on her leg after she caught her jacket on it. She glanced down at the book, then turned on her custom music as she rolled back on her course down Sunrise Highway. 'Next time, my new friend. Next time.' She turned the radio up a few levels, and started singing along to "I See Fire". 'I can't seem to stop listening to this. Why? Hush, it is not good to question it.'

"Everything good here, Sir." said the oriental female to Riley. She passed him a menu. "The waiter will take your order." And walked away without looking back.

Mira watched the strange guy curiously. She still questioned how was it that she couldn't read this person's thought, and it drew her to him unerringly. She focused on the waiter's mind, capturing her thoughts, looking for a way to listen in on their conversation. But it was hard to understand the waiter, she was Japanese and therefore her thought process was in the foreign language Mira didn't understand. Yet she understood they were talking about the menu - the waiter went over the menu with the guy, providing some suggestions, and settling on anything with chicken instead of fish.

Finally Mira thought it was foolish to continue on the sort of stalking, intrusion she was doing and decided to pay the bill and get out of there. She needed to refocus, the thoughts of her grandmother and her father came back to distract her. She wondered about her grandmother, and she knew that she must be worried sick about her, and she wondered about her sister. She wondered if she was dead, and hoped to god she hadn't killed her. She couldn't take it anymore, she needed to know.

She turned on her cellphone to call her grandmother, and as soon as the device became fully charged it rang, the ringtone loudly reverberated over the conversation in the room. Drawing in people's attention. Mira looked at the screen and panicked when she read the screen 'Mom', the phone rang several times before she answered.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
((For the sake of pairing-up characters I am creating an accident on the road, one that will affect everyone who is driving.
More details on the OOC page.))
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The truck driver fell asleep while driving and lost control of the sixteen-wheel hitting several cars and finally causing a 50 car pile-up. It happened fast and unforeseen, many of the vehicles flip and crashed killing their passengers, others where greatly injured and trapped inside their vehicles. Cars exploded, fire and smoke quickly overcome the area, and people were screaming in pain and shock. Those with minor injuries tried to help those they could reach.

As they were placed in separate rooms separated by a red velvet curtain, Elise Laid down as they examined her. She was quiet, and always was just to be safe. Occasionally she got scared of the foreign things they took out -such as needle looking things that werent really needles, etc- and would question it before they gave her an answer.

But Caleb was of course the stubborn one."Take my shirt off too? No way!" Caleb whined like a child. The people tried to soothe him but didnt cease until Caleb yelled."I MISS MY MOM AND MY BLANKIE!". This startled Elise, causing her to look in the direction of the curtain. It somewhat pained her a bit to hearing Caleb say this and she was told to look the other way for examination.

The workers agreed that giving his blanket was fine. It was a security item, used for comforting purposes and at last Caleb became docile and obedient. The quiet from him slightly frightened Elise causing her to become much more alert and she sighs."Will I have my rabbit?" She asks."Yes." Answered one scientist."In fact, we have him in a different room..A Flemish rabbit correct? Yeah we have it." The scientist finished with a nod.

Elliana had been driving for almost an hour, due to various spots of morning traffic, when she saw smoke rising from further down the highway. She decided to pull over to the shoulder, and get out of the car after activating the hazard lights. She looked out in the distance, trying to see what was causing the fire. She couldn't see much of anything, the source was too far away. She turned to her car, and waved at it. She looked down at the city below, and spotted a good place to put it. 'And it looks like I can get down without breaking something. Alright Ellie, calm down, getting nervous will only break your car.' Elliana found it a little easier to make hand motions while moving things with her mind. She slowly lowered the car down to the side of the empty street below, and tried not to wince when it fell the last few inches.

She took a moment to breath a little, and then started jogging down the highway, towards the fire. "Man, I hope it isn't bad. Great, now it's going to be horrible... Me and my big mouth." Elliana had finally gotten close enough to see that it was bad. Very, bad. 'Holy scheiße!' She spent a few minutes gawking, when she remembered that she should be helping. "Oh! Uh, how do I get by the police..."

Elliana swirled up some shadows, hoping they would prevent the officials from seeing her, and slowly crept up the the crash. 'Man, fire's hot. I'm gonna need a shower after this... Aw man, where do I start?'

Aaron was so into her rock station that she barely had time to step on the gas when the Audi in front of her flashed his hazard lights. "Whoa!" She took a breath and shut off Poison, trying to look around the Audi to see what was going on. She wasn't exactly close, but she seemed to be close enough to catch the aftermath of the disaster. Everyone was shuffling out of their cars so Aaron followed, walking a bit towards the dividers just as an explosion went off. Women and children screamed, but the men were intrigued and moved closer despite their wive's shaking heads.

"Maybe I can help?" Aaron spoke to herself, locking her car and taking a jog down the interstate until the chaos came full in her vision. Cars were flipped, glass covered the asphalt, and several fires engulfed the shrieks of many. The pile up blocked off the main area of the interstate and the brunette was ready to pull her hair out. This was disastrous--the situation she was in and the actual disaster that was going on. More police and ambulances swerved around parked cars and stopped at the scene to help the injured and investigate the cause. The scene wasn't effecting Aaron negatively, no, it only made her adrenaline pump and the need to help intensify.

It seemed like others had the same thought. Particularly, a young lady disappearing into the crash sight. "H--" Aaron cut off her shout and cursed herself instead, looking for a way in as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Every-.. Uh..", he trailed off as the lady walked off, apparently too busy to bother with a suggestion. Thankfully the waiter was more willing to spare the time for him, but.. What he ended up getting wasn't all that great. It wasn't bad, but it just didn't quite excite his taste buds. In fact, it actually tasted kind of familiar. He wasn't going to share this opinion however, instead if asked he'd put on a smile and say it was good. Despite the lackluster flavor of the food, he was happy to have found the place. His belly thanked him with silence and comfort as he gobbled it down.

Just as Riley leaned back in his seat, a noise drew his attention; A ringing, originating from the direction of a girl looking to be within his age group. During the time that the girl hesitated to answer her cellphone, Riley had found similar pause in shoving the last of his food into his mouth, his hand alone holding it near his mouth. When she finally answered, he went ahead and finished eating, though his attention remained on Mira. As he watched her a strange feeling of familiarity washed over him, baffling him due to the fact that he was almost positive he'd never seen the girl before today. Just as the feeling confused him, it also roused curiosity.. He'd wait for her to finish her conversation with whomever had called her, then approach her as soon as she hung up.

"Have we met before?", he'd ask her as he stood near her table, one hand resting on the surface, "It feels like I know you from somewhere."

The police and emergency services arrived at the scene, following along was the local news station. The cameraman ready his camera and begun to record the developing situation. EMS rolled out their stretchers and carried equipment to help the injured. The cameraman followed them.

The news anchor shouted at the cameraman, "Make sure you get a long shot of the truck and the people still trap inside their vehicles."

The fire was so intense some people were burned alive, and it was continuing to spread like wildfire. The emergency personnel found themselves helpless, unable to get close to help the people trapped in their vehicles. Fireman ready the water hoses and begun to spray a steady flow of water at the burning vehicles, but they themselves couldn't get close enough and fast enough to help without risking their own lives.

-----------------------------
Chicago - Union Station
-----------------------------

The conversation with her grandmother had been emotional but at the same time it put Mira's mind at eased. Her sister was alive, she hadn't killed her and that was the best news. And though her grandmother was still angry and disappointed by Mira's actions she was relieved to know where she was. Mira will continue her journey to meet her father, she learned he was already aware she was coming to see him, and she was to contact him as soon as she arrives in California.

Her thoughts were interrupted by the very guy whose mind she couldn't read. He surprised her, she had forgotten all about him, but there was something about him that made her feel comfortable. He asked if he knew her, but she was sure they never met before, yet she understood why he would ask.

"No, we've never met. But to be frank, I feel the same as you." said Mira, she smiled curiously. "I'm Mira. You?"

She tried again to read his mind, but still even this close to him she got nothing. And she thought it was wonderful that she couldn't.

"Ahh, well then it's very nice to meet you, Mira! My name is Riley", the young man replied, offering her his hand and shaking would she accept it.

She felt the same way, she told him, and yet she also confirmed that they had never met before today. It was an odd thing, Riley thought, but he didn't dwell on it too much. Instead he would speak freely with her, without even a hint of reservation or caution. He was that sort of quick-trusting person, that he would already have begun to feel like he could divulge any information with her whether simple or important. He'd like to think that this only applied when he got a feeling about someone and felt comfortable with them, but the truth of the matter was just that he was by all means an open book to any who might have the slightest interest.

Unlike her, Riley had yet to even begin to try singling out Mira's mind. For him, opening his mind to outside thoughts often proved to be more painful than useful, besides.. If she had something important to tell him, she'd tell him. While he did just try to use his power to figure out what to eat a while ago, he wasn't the sort that would freely abuse the gift to pry into thoughts on deeper subjects.

"So, are you from around here? I'm just passing through myself, California-bound", he told her, a bit of excitement obvious in his usual calm and warm tone, "I'm off to meet my biological father."

Status
Not open for further replies.