The Run Away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ace nodded and stretched one more time before turning to the man. "Oliver right? I thought I heard you say that last night but I'm not sure...I was pretty out of it."

"Oliver," he said with a nod. "And you're ...Ace." He struggled a bit with his name, but hoped he got it right. Then he put his backpack on and slowly stepped out of the cave, checking that the coast was clear before waving Ace with him.

Ace fallowed him closely. The woods where new to him but he didn't mind it. He was used to the dark of the basement so the sunlit canapy of leaves was nothing to his eyes.

Oliver made Ace walk beside or in front of him so he could keep an eye on him. For a while they stuck to the river, and then he guided them south. "How's the arm?" he asked after a bit and looked at him.

Ace clichéd at the makeshift sling with his good hand while his mind replayed what had lead it to be broken. "It aches. Nothing I can't handle though. I think its because I ran threw the woods without it being secured last night."

"It's very common for a broken arm to hurt, I think," oliver said and reached into his backpack. After som fumbling around he pulled out a small dried root. "Chew on this. Don't swallow it." It should help with the pain. "Remeber to let me know if it gets quiet." If the birds stopped singing, that could be a bad sign.

"I can still here the birds." Then he froze "wait a second... That owl from last night is still here. I can here it every now and again. I think its fallowing us." He was confused owls are supposed to be nocturnal.

Oliver frowned a bit. "Why would an owl follow us? And how do you know it's the same on?" Didn't all animald sound the same? And maybe it wasn't even an owl. Birds couldn't be that different. "Can you see it?" he asked and looked around.

Ace looked around "no. I'm probably just paranoid. I've never been this far into the woods." He rubbed at the back off his head. "Father used to scare me with tails about what lurks out here. It was a way to keep me there and stop me from running sooner."

"I've been here a few times. No owls have tried to eat me yet," he said and handed him the flask with water. "A couple more hours, and we should be getting out of the woods." Then it would hopefully not take them long until they found a farm willing to sell them a horse.

He took a small drink before handing it back. "A few hours, hopefully we can make it before nightfall." He said

He nodded. They probably should ask for shelter before riding off. Especially considering he hadn't slept any the night before. Few people had anything against travellers resting in their barn for a night, so hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. "How old are you?" he asked and looked at him.

Ace shrugged "I forgot what day it was. I turn 18 on the 3rd." He blushed lightly "there was never a chance to check at the village. And you? How old are you?"

Olover had to think for a moment. How many winters had it been... "21, I think," he answered and took a sip from the flask.
He kept his bow on his back, it was useless to hunt with two people. He assumed Ace had no idea how to be quiet in the woods.
He sighed a bit and rubbed his eyes, trying to fight the exhaustion. Too long with no sleep... At least the trees had started thining, meaning they were getting closer to the edge.

He watched him for a minute "I'm sorry. You where up all night looking out for me." He looked down and sighed "I never ment to cause any problems."

Olive only caught part of it since Ace wasn't really looking at him. "Never say sorry unless you've done something wrong," he said before looking around them. It really seemed like they had lost them, but he still didn't manage to relax. Hopefully the villagers hadn't planned on searching the whole night, meaning they had to go all the way back home for food and resources before starting over the next day.

The forest around them was quieter now, though the animals still called to each other. "The noise has started to quiet. Its not gone but its not loud like it was earlier."

"Probably because there are less trees here," he said and glanced around before walking on. Farm. Sleep. Eat. Horse. Run away. It was a simple plan, they just had to get to a farm first.

He smiled sheepishly. "Of course." He said more to himself then anything. He desired that he would fallow the other man without a word until they found what they needed.

Oliver walked on, glancing at him now and then to make sure he wasn't talking without making sure Oliver was looking at him. People usually forgot that he was deaf. Probably because he remembered how to talk. When they neared the edge of the woods, he got his bow ready, just in case. And just half an hour later, he shot a hare. Hopefully he would be able to eat this one too.

The arrow survived the impact and he put it back in the quiver, and hare into the bag. There were fields stretching out in front of them now, meaning there should be a farm nearby.

Status
Not open for further replies.