The Rosetta landing is a success.

Funnily enough, a group of researchers at my university were majorly involved in this project. :3 We've been getting updates on it during Mechanics lectures.

Also, it was a success...ish. It landed nearly exactly where they aimed it but it bounced off due to the comet's uber-low gravity and all of the measures they'd put in place to ensure it stayed on (thrusters, drills, harpoons, etc. to fix it to the surface) failed. Then it floated around for a few hours before coming down again... and bounced off again. And then landed again. And finally stayed still. But now they don't know exactly where on the comet it is. Apparently during the entire period this was happening they couldn't communicate with it because the comet had rotated. I can't even imagine how rough a night all the researchers had xD. Now they're just being super careful about everything because moving it even a tiny amount might make it bounce off again.

An absolutely amazing feat. I will add my own "FUCK YEAH SCIENCE" to the chorus.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ZombiePenguins
Out of curiosity, is there a REASON why we shot a tiny object onto a relatively tiny object?

I mean, aside from shits and giggles.

Let's be honest, I'm a huge nerd and if I were stuck in a room full of huge nerds, we would probably come up with awesome things just for shits and giggles.

I'm looking at you, space program.

Shits and giggles.

It was an interesting landing for sure

I mean they successfully did it, so the odds were in their favour and great for them! The comet was very rough and not easy to land

Though, the systems meant to fix it to the side of the comet didn't function for some reason, so it kind of bounced to an area that would make it very difficult to obtain power to last for extended periods of time.

But the key thing is that it was a success!

Out of curiosity, is there a REASON why we shot a tiny object onto a relatively tiny object?
I mean, aside from shits and giggles.
Let's be honest, I'm a huge nerd and if I were stuck in a room full of huge nerds, we would probably come up with awesome things just for shits and giggles.
I'm looking at you, space program.
Shits and giggles.
To study the soil composition of the comet. Comets and asteroids can provide lots of information about what the early solar system was like. Plus some asteroids and comets contain rather strange complete solid solutions that can only form at extremely high temperatures and aren't found on earth, so more information about those would be relatively useful.

• Thank You
Reactions: Ochalla
The-more-you-know.png

That's because Obummer doesn't care about space. =/
HAHAHA! OBUMMER! HAH!

This is how hard Obama can science.

ObamaSciFair1_400.jpg

But for real though. Good job Europe on doing the science!

Bollocks. It was so we could blow up an asteroid if it ever came on a collision course with our oil reserves.

"I doh wanna faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall asleeeyup! An' ah dooowunt wanna miss a thaaaaaang!"

Just so its official?

I think Tegan's reason is best reason.

forgot to add:

THE SWEETEST DREAM WOULD NEEEEEEVER DOOOOOOOO

I'D STILL MISS YOU BABY

AND I DON'T WANNA MISS A THAAAAAANG

More intonation.

You gotta thrash and foam at the mouth when you sing that last bit.

Yay for experimenting things in space. I hope to live in space one day. Even if I am old.

And hi Hellis. : )

The Sound of the Comet.

Rosetta (not Philae, the probe on the comet itself, but the spacecraft that carried and launched it) measured fluctuations in the magnetic field around the comet due to interactions with solar wind (plasma from the sun.) They took the fluctuations and converted them into sound waves within the range of human hearing, and wah-lah, we have the sound of the comet.

MORE FUCK YEAH SCIENCE

They'll be playing this on the dancefloor of the best nerdy clubs!