Online Availability
10AM - 10PM Daily
Writing Levels
  1. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Female
Genres
Romance, Supernatural, Fantasy, Thriller, Space Exploration, Slice of Life
Now that we've been running the new layout of the roleplay sections for a couple weeks, we're ready to poll the member base and see what people feel is super awesome and working, and what is NOT working. Based on the comments and suggestions from you guys, we'll adjust things that we CAN adjust and put the other stuff on a wishlist for the future if we can't.

Our goal for the roleplay system is to be EASY TO USE/UNDERSTAND, HAVE AWESOME TOOLS FOR GMS, and BEING EASY TO MODERATE FOR STAFF.

We'd be very appreciate if you can give us your input!

- What are the things you love about the current system that you want to KEEP and don't wanna give up?

- What are the things you are having a hard time with or find confusing to deal with?

- What are the things you don't like OR don't feel is useful for you as a roleplayer/GM?

- What is MISSING that you really wish was a feature?

- If you are (or had to) work as a moderator for the roleplay sections, what are things that would be confusing or a problem for you?

- OTHER COMMENTARY!

I have to say I love the new layout/format/features for the Roleplays themselves and the sections have never bothered me. I do wish, however, that the option of putting up a picture and writing the overview was accessible to both members in a One on One RP. Not everyone likes to write the overview or looks for pictures that fit the RP and for those of us that love that feature, it would be nice if we were able to access them as well - not just the person who created the RP.

I don't know if that fits in with what you were asking here, but it's a thought I had. :) Other than that, I love what you guys have done with the site and have no complaints!

The main things I'm having trouble with (I'll adapt on the other sections later today) are:

The lack of adverts (they make it real difficult for new Gms to get Their games off the ground)

A lack of mobile support while making role plays (it simply won't let you edit while posting Rps on Apple mobile devices, it really limits productivity)

I'll add the positives in later tonight

• Useful
Reactions: 1 person
- What are the things you don't like OR don't feel is useful for you as a roleplayer/GM?

`Alright, when you insert images for some reason you can resize them maybe it's just me and I'm too silly to figure out how to use the tools properly or it's a bug, but it's nothing major! c:

`It'd be great if we could upload pics from the computer into here, that'd be very helpful. For example when you make banners and such for characters you have to download them and then upload them to another hosting site like Photobucket and then insert the link from there.
- What are the things you love about the current system that you want to KEEP and don't wanna give up?
`The format for the group RPGS! I love it! Everything is all neat and organized in one spot. c: Very nice.

Ok, on the mobile version, creating and editing the overview of a thread is next to impossible. It'll exit out of the keyboard if you touch the screen anywhere, and it rarely brings up the keyboard in order to edit it.

Also, bring back the easy to access watched threads button, pretty please...

I love the updates, the cast list, and all the little tabs. It's just so organized and helps so much!

- What are the things you are having a hard time with or find confusing to deal with?

I was confused at first, but I got accustomed to it rather quickly.

I don't really thing anything is not useful, it just depends on every persons own roleplaying/GMing tastes.

Uploading pictures from your computer would be extremely helpful!

- If you are (or had to) work as a moderator for the roleplay sections, what are things that would be confusing or a problem for you?

I find nothing confusing, other then having to look into the roleplay because it tells you the last post based on updates not actual posts .-.

One thing I hate because it's confusing and honestly I think it's just unneeded is the whole, 'description, character bios,' and all the other stuff when you start a new rp thread. I've gone to pm's and so have a few of my partners just to avoid it...

I really enjoy the new lay-out. It would be nice if the alerts would work properly though. Also I still have trouble on my mobile phone, which I would like to see improved.
It would also be cool if you could make an invite-only roleplay that is private for everyone not invited, like with the pm system. I see a lpt of instances where a roleplay is private and still other people try to join

untitled-article-1429794386.png

It's a huge shift from the previous layout, and I generally don't like change.

I absolutely LOVE the tags for overview, rules, cast list, and update in the roleplay resources. Never change those in any way. : ) The Update feature is my absolute favorite btw. <3

For the most part, I don't have a hard time with anything and I feel all of the new added features are indeed useful. They could be improved on in certain ways, but for the most part nothing is difficult to use once you get used to it.

• I would like it if the roleplay resources and updates would work with tagging users. That way, if I have a certain person who signs up as a character I can tag them in the cast list.
  • It would be nice if the IC thread had some kind of tab connected to the roleplay resource just like the OOC does instead of a button that just brings a link to the thread up in another window. If this isn't possible, it would be nice if the IC thread could at least have a button on it so you could press it and it would take you right back to the roleplay resource its connected to.

As a CV doing mod work I've seen a couple things: let me know if I'm wrong about any of this, but I was sure this is how it goes. XD
  1. People often aren't aware that there are THREE parts of the roleplay they can tag. Most often, people will tag their roleplay recourse but won't tag their IC and OOC threads as well. I feel maybe a reminder to all the role-players out there would help with this problem.
  2. Many people also don't seem aware that they aren't supposed to put the words "ooc" or "sign-up" in their roleplay resource title. (Like for example: Adventure Quest (OOC / Sign-Up Thread) I've removed it many times, and a couple times people have even added it back right after I removed it--as if they didn't know that it wasn't supposed to be there. I feel this is another good thing to remind the role-players about.
So yeah if people would just be more conscious about those two things I mentioned, it would actually save me a lot of work as a CV. :) Because most of the time I feel I'm tagging stuff and removing ooc out of resource titles. XD

- OTHER COMMENTARY!

Overall, I LOVE THE CHANGE! <3 The only thing iwaku needs now is a new group system and it'll be complete in my eyes. lol. :)

It doesn't seem like the roleplay listings are bumped by ooc activity... So they would eventually just get washed down into oblivion? It seems like even active roleplays that need members would be buried under new ones. Kind of makes it hard to get members (I don't know how many people look beyond the first page of the listing).

The updates system is a nice touch, and a good way for GMs to alert newer players to key things developed in the OOC or IC without them needing to read thousands of pages of mainly irrelevant conversation.

Though I haven't personally had a problem with it, some GMs seem to be finding the new layout confusing. They'll make their OOC thread, but then they'll either make the IC thread in the Group Roleplays section rather than the Group Roleplay In Character section, or they'll make a separate sign ups thread as well.

The auto-starring of the first post in the OOC threads is a little annoying and it would be nice if we could edit this first post in the initial creation, but it's the kind of thing where it's more work to fix that than it is to just click the edit button an extra time, so it's certainly survivable.

I'd really love if an In Character tab could somehow be added to the Group Roleplays thing. It's a real pain in the arse jumping between a bunch of open tabs and scrolling through dozens of alerts looking for one for the appropriate thread. It'd be great if we could just click the "In Character" tab no matter what page of the OOC we're on and it'll take us right to the IC without having to look for the link.

Also, a list of all the possible tags for a roleplay would be an awesome addition too. When I make a roleplay I often find myself ignoring the tags because I can't figure out what to actually tag it with. 90% of the tags I come up with get rejected, too, so being able to make custom tags would be nice as well.

Otherwise though, I love this new layout. Good job! Fully worth the agonizingly boring downtime.

• Most if not all the GM tools. Those are pretty handy.
  • The Tab system. This makes it easier to organize things
  • Getting my paragraph spacing to stay after edits. Everytime I edit my roleplay every paragraph I've made runs together upon saving no mattering how many times I space them out nor how old these additions are. Everytime I edit,the paragraph breaks disappear, so I resorted to adding -- inbetween paragraphs and coloring them the same as my background, though other users of a different colored background will see this.
  • Tags. I'm creating my own list here, but it was lot easier to go through and check them.
  • The formatting as a whole is over complicated and not well explained, I'm afraid. Even with the summery posted above roleplays I've fairly recently found out there was a difference between the resource and the OOC thread.
  • The listing of GMs other roleplays. Groups? Yeah sure. But I don't see a reason to also list private roleplays. It's one thing to make people look for that information, it's another to throw it other's face.
  • The forums need to be easier to navigate and activity should bump a roleplay. I'm sorry but as much as I like the nifty tools, I much prefer the old layout.
  • We should be able to watch our own resource, so when we go into bookmarks they're neatly listed under the Roleplay tab.
- What is MI6SSING that you really wish was a feature?
  • The ability to create your own tabs :)
  • Being able to allow co-GMs access to the thread.
  • (There seems to be a lack of archiving due to the multiple threads and having to check each manually. Making this easier for them would be nice).

Last edited:
Reactions: Pachamac
I'm with @AshenAngel, I think a watched threads button would be nice. I've not been here before it was taken off, but I find it rather hard to navigate to my OOC and ic threads if my alerts don't show anything new. If they disappear, then I either have to go to my profile, then roleplays, or go into my alerts to find one with the thread I'm wanting. It would make it much easier to have that button, or rather, a tab that pops out to show us a list without forwarding to a new page.

Other than that, I've no complaints.

I love the new format, but I REEEAAAAALLY miss genre prefixes! Even for one on ones! I'd also really love to see an option for adding roleplay tabs, like for charcters and a map and various other things. But I understand if that's not possible.

Something else I think would be handy is a newbie starting sheet. An option up top that says "if you're new, click here!" I've had a lot of people tell me that they don't know where to start or how to navigate when they just sign up, so maybe this suggestion would help?

I love the tabs and the direct link to the sign-ups and IC where applicable. I like it with the Group RP's anyways... I also like the group icons, though I wish they were optional, so that the empty ones wouldn't just be these ugly "gears" pictures.

The only thing I'd say is confusing is the creation of the IC and sign-up threads, because you actually have to create a whole new page separately. Other than that, nothing major.

I think forcing people to have 1x1's in this same format is useless and nonsensical. When it's only two people, the level of organization that is given and useful in group roleplays simply makes everything look bulky and uncomfortable.

I don't like that every time I post an update, it posts it into the main thread, especially because my main thread is my sign-ups thread, and I don't like having these ugly interruptions into the CS's in the thread. I delete them, but that still leaves a mark in the S/U and it's a little frustrating.

I also hate the tags system. It was much simpler when we had all our options laid out in front of us and all we had to do was click a couple buttons.

I wish we could make tabs ourselves. In a group RP I'm running, I have an FAQ's section and a maps/settings section, which would be really great to put in a separate tab. Instead, I've had to shove them into the updates, which are less likely to be checked and don't show the full contents unless the reader clicks "read more."

I also think it would be great if we could add co-GM's, so that they can see it in their "Your Roleplays" thread as well, and others joining could see that it's got multiple GM's. It would also allow GM's to retire and leave the current roleplay to a co-GM.

Sorry, I hope I don't sound too complain-y, I do really like the current system.

Last edited:
I don't really like the new version at all. I never figured out how to do one of those fancy threads, and seems like overkill to me when it comes to one on ones. I can see how it's useful for group roleplays, but when it's only two players it seems like too much. Plus it only counts as a roleplay for the person who creates the thread, and not for the other person taking part in it.

The one thing for is that how all of the threads were set up at once? You know, the categories were neatly placed in it's own spaces...now it's harder and more complicated to get to where you need to go because everything is jumbled up. The tabs are amazing though, I love them...

I just wish that we could go back to the way all of the forums were separated and neatly aligned. Also, I guess the way the icons and stuff for the rp is now it a bit confusing as well (Like when you go to a section and to the right are the 5 star ratings then to the left is the short info of the rp and names?) It was much more easier before the big change. I just feel like without bookmarks, you would be searching forever for a specific role play.

I want the buttons that allowed you to jump between OOC and IC back. Whilwe the jump into IC is there, can't find where to put the jump from IC to OOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.