THE ROLEPLAY SYSTEM POLL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alright. It's just that I haven't seen any jump ins since the update.

Just thought I'd add while I'm thinking about it: I do really like the "seeking group invites" section. It's a really direct way to advertise to players who are literally asking to be advertised to. :P Only trouble is, I feel like not a lot of people know about it. Took me a while to even realize it was there, and I seem to keep forgetting it's there, too. o.o It's certainly great for the people who can't seem to advertise effectively with the banners being down.

I like the new layout, though may I suggest something. I'm not completely sure how doable it really is, but something I like is the layout of www.myanimelist.com clubs. The way they integrate them into forums is great. It provides a fantastic way to host RP's. If you would ike to see how an RP would work in that format, just click only signature. It will take you to an RP that I run on Myanimelist.

- What are the things you love about the current system that you want to KEEP and don't wanna give up?
Ehm...not much...nothing really. It's confusing. I am lost like all the time when looking for something or trying to do something. I mean, it all looks pretty when you actually get to a roleplay with the cast list and all, but I find the current system highly confusing.

- What are the things you are having a hard time with or find confusing to deal with?
Finding roleplays really. Jump ins -> I still have no clue where they are. One on one or groups -> still have no idea where OOC is, where IC is, what is difference, where to start either of those so they are in the right place. Libertine has like two ways you can make a thread for which I don't understand. I don't know. I have a problem with the whole thing. I miss the previous system. It was so much easier to navigate in all the ways.

- What are the things you don't like OR don't feel is useful for you as a roleplayer/GM?
There isn't anything I don't like from what I've seen. Just the way everything is organized seems chaotic and confusing (I swear I have been using this word too much already).

- If you are (or had to) work as a moderator for the roleplay sections, what are things that would be confusing or a problem for you?
Categorization! Certain things can be filed in two place (previously said libertine) and it would not only confuse me as a moderator but also as a player.

- OTHER COMMENTARY
A minor thing but the new way of listing any RP thread looks like the listing of groups and it kinda looks strange, I still have not got used to that. Overall, I find this new system not very user-friendly. At least in my case. Whenever, I try to do something, I have to double or triple check with a staff member to see if I am doing it right and me no likes that. I am lacking the independence I felt I had before due to the constant need to make sure I do things right just so I don't add to someone else's work (and frankly do look like a dummy either).

The only problem I have is the inability to edit the overview tabs and such when you are not the thread owner. It would be nice if BOTH partners in a one x one rp could edit the posts since the story does technically belong to both parties.

- What are the things you love about the current system that you want to KEEP and don't wanna give up?

The roleplay icon, the tabs, and the little blurb you can put under the title.

- What are the things you are having a hard time with or find confusing to deal with?

At first the tabs were a little confusing but I got the hang of them pretty quickly. Otherwise nothing really.

- What is MISSING that you really wish was a feature?

If we could make our own extra tabs that would be amazing. One thing I always wanted was to be able to have multiple locations. It gets extremely confusing when you have a very big roleplay and everybody is in the same place talking over each other. I'm getting excited just thinking about the potential of having extra tabs!

Also being able to upload pictures from your computer would be so nice.

- If you are (or had to) work as a moderator for the roleplay sections, what are things that would be confusing or a problem for you?

I'm not sure. I'd probably find everything a little confusing at first, but I'm one of those people who just has to something to get it. //shrug

-What are the things you love about the current system that you want to KEEP and don't wanna give up?

I like the tabs, for group and for 1x1, but I do wish that the IC and OOC were the same thread.

- What are the things you don't like OR don't feel is useful for you as a roleplayer/GM?

The update thing seems rather pointless. It shows up in the thread and the update page. I'm still not certain how the profile tags work or are supposed to work.

I miss MISS MISS the tags on the outside of threads, particularly the Partner requests. So much useless clicking now to see that the partner in question isn't what you are looking for.

I haven't even used the Roleplay section properly yet. I've only been playing one RP in the old group section

I liked the way the website before this update was, as it was easier to understand. However, I do like how when you create a roleplay, you can have different tabs for rules, description, and the thread itself. I think there should be another tab option for an IC thread, rather than having to make a whole other thread just for it. Lastly, this will probably sound rude but I promise I don't mean it that way: I really don't like how it always seems like there are updates to the site or layout changes, etc. It's difficult to keep up with and navigate through because you can't get used to it.

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
I really don't like how it always seems like there are updates to the site or layout changes, etc. It's difficult to keep up with and navigate through because you can't get used to it.
+1 to this. Feels like once every 3-6 months. Can we at least let dust settle?

+1 to this. Feels like once every 3-6 months. Can we at least let dust settle?
I agree.

I don't want to be all "change is bad!!1", as it of course makes sense to update things periodically and add new features. But, it feels like Iwaku constantly changes, often needlessly, and, in cases like this, the updates sometimes seem to create more problems than anything else.

YouTube changes its layout so often that it's practically a joke, Tumblr is notorious among its user-base for constantly getting worse and removing features that people actually liked, all while not at all listening to user feedback... Now, Iwaku updates are a thousand times better than the likes of YouTube or Tumblr, because it's clear that the staff here actually value our opinion and are trying to make updates that do actually improve things. And I'm not going to act like I would prefer a site that never updates, as myself and all the other former Guildees certainly know how that is, and I really do love how the staff here are all so involved and active here, but, I think there's a happy medium in here somewhere. I try to be optimistic about updates, but, it feels like a bit much when these complete layout overhauls happen so quickly that you don't even have time to get used to the last update.

I think a general policy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" goes a long way. Minor changes to things that people dislike or have suggestions about are also probably better than complete system overhauls like this one -- at least if they're going to happen so often.

I really do love that the staff here are active and really do pay attention to the wants and needs of the users, but... it would be nice if the site wasn't in such a constant state of being completely re-done. :/

Reactions: Noctis the Devious
These way-too-frequent updates are actually a result of going a very long long long WAY TOO LONG time frame of not updating enough. So we've been playing catchup to backup system changes, unexpectedly fast memberbase growth, and some experimental solutions, (some of which totally failed and thus we have to fix thaaaat). D: It's a long and frustrating process on the staff/admin end too, beliiiiiieeve meeee.

Learn this very important lesson about regular maintenance and keeping up! ;__; If you DON'T, you spend a year of chaos trying to fix all the shit you weren't paying attention to.

I'm old fashioned, so I'd be the first one to say I don't like it, at all, I preferred the old system immensely

1. What are the things you are having a hard time with or find confusing to deal with?/What are the things you don't like?

Group roleplaying and one on one roleplay. This new layout is ridiculous, and lacks information that made this forum so great.
In the old layout I was quickly provided with the following information; Amount of replies, treads and more.

I have to agree with those saying that there isn't much about the new system that they enjoy. I never want to be a super negative nancy, but I've found it really hard to get back into roleplaying on this site, not just because of my own issues (of which there are many), but because of the major changes. Tbh I still don't understand why the old system needed to be changed at all. Admittedly I am only a one-on-one role-player, so perhaps this new system is fantastic for group role-players, but I don't understand why it needs to be applied to both forms of role-playing. Like, there's no need for a cast list, or links to an IC/OOC thread for one-on-one role-plays. The whole thing is just unnecessary.

I much preferred going to the forum I wanted to role-play in, creating a thread, and bam -- role-play made. It was simple and streamlined before. Now it's convoluted and confusing. :( I've been role-playing on forums for a long time, and I've never seen the need for such a drastic change from the standard system. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Last edited:
These way-too-frequent updates are actually a result of going a very long long long WAY TOO LONG time frame of not updating enough. So we've been playing catchup to backup system changes, unexpectedly fast memberbase growth, and some experimental solutions, (some of which totally failed and thus we have to fix thaaaat). D: It's a long and frustrating process on the staff/admin end too, beliiiiiieeve meeee.

Learn this very important lesson about regular maintenance and keeping up! ;__; If you DON'T, you spend a year of chaos trying to fix all the shit you weren't paying attention to.
So, I know I've been overall negative about changes and I'm probably coming off as a dick once again, but here's the thing. All of this could have been better dealt with by using a simple "What do you want to see" thread, just like what this is (glad to see it's finally here) instead of "Here's this, deal with it for now, what do you think?" The way I've done it in the past is create a dummy-site that the changes are planted in, or a restricted section for those changes (A place the tabs and such could be tested out of member interference (Not necessarily restricting viewing, but not allowing postings while the changes are visible) then discussing it once the big picture is clear.) while the catch-up process is being handled. I think a sub-section like this could fit nicely in the news section. That way people can punch in feedback as they see it instead of waiting 3-6 months for the scrapping process to take part, you can hear what people love and hate before sticking them without things they love and with things they hate.

Despite my dick-ish attitude about changes in the past (It's who I am, kind of a negative fellow) seeing this thread is nice. Basically, take your time and you're more likely to get it right the first time. Yes, it will take a long time to catch up and by the time you are done catching up there could be more changes, but that's part of the cat and mouse game that is catch up. When you consider that once updates to a system comes people stick with it for a while that means there is some down time between updates and changes, then you take that downtime and work on what you are missing.

Slow and easy wins the race.

As did I... I like it the way it used to be. Very simple and properly placed. Now it is hard to look through the Roleplays, and the layout of the Roleplays themselves are very confusing, thus I have switched over to private conversations where I would just invite the people that want to join, using the RP as a gathering point that doesn't need to be checked often. Also, there are a couple of changes I'd like to reccomend, as I have assisted in the creating of other websites: (Keep in mind that I am taking my experience from other websites and applying it to this website.)
  • Search Engine: I was noticing that a lot of the people in the past were typing things very advanced, and when I questioned some of them, it turns out that they had spent hours researching what all the best possible wording was, therefore, I recommend a search engine on the site that quickly generates better wording for those whose grammar may not be the best. However, being as how search engines like this take a lot of time, effort, and staff to run, (much like Google) I do not expect this to be the case. It seems like a good idea, but most miracles sound like good ideas, so I'm not keeping my hopes up on that one.
  • Usability: I have noticed a number of complaints about some of the functions or lack of, and I decided to... investigate, if you will. I found that in 1x1 Roleplays, the creator could post pictures with ease, but at times, the members participating could not. I don't quite know all the details of this, but if fixing it causes more problems than leaving it, I suggest we leave it. I do doubt that though, and so I recommend that certain coding be changed and adapted to fix this error in the system.
Other than this, I do not think that updates are needed, and it should instead be converted back to the old format.

Then again... When I first started Roleplaying on this website, I was relatively new to it and my sister (who was addicted at the time and thus could not put forth full effort in school) introduced it to me, there was a format before the earlier format, which people want back. Me, and I assume many others, were shocked and angered by this update as well, and we wanted the format back. Now it is happening again around 2 years later, so I believe that while it will take some getting used to, we will all come to let go of the past and appreciate what new things we have.

Overall, it is up to the staff to decide how good or bad the site has become, and while I do prefer the old formatting, this is still (by far) my favorite place to create roleplays and participate in others. Good work on the website overall @Diana, @Bob Ross, and @Vay!

What are the things you love about the current system that you want to KEEP and don't wanna give up?

What I like about the current system is the organization of important role play aspects like the Description, Cast List, and Rules, as well as the ability to upload pictures and make it pretty without having to take up the entire first post(s) of a thread to post all that stuff in. AND that it's on an entirely different tab from the role play/thread itself.

What are the things you are having a hard time with or find confusing to deal with? / What are the things you don't like OR don't feel is useful for you as a roleplayer/GM? / If you are (or had to) work as a moderator for the roleplay sections, what are things that would be confusing or a problem for you?

I don't particularly understand the way everything is laid out. Like on the Forums homepage, why is there all the different role plays in their set genres and then you still have where you can see the threads like it used to be? Isn't that a little redundant? I find it confusing why everything is there twice. Perhaps just do one or the other and, in the Create New Thread/Role Play, have an option that will let you opt out of the role play tools if you don't want them. Kind of like how all the role play Description, Cast List, and all is optional and will only show up if you put something in those boxes. I think that would simply things.

What is MISSING that you really wish was a feature?

I think an extra box for the Setting would be nice, somewhere to describe the universe/world/etc. that the role play takes place in and post pictures just for settings. To go amongst the Description and Cast List, etc. I know you could do that with the Description box, but what if you want it to be separate from the Description?

While mine is nothing much just a simple gripe, the flood control of sending pms, I tend to be the type to do all my replies at the same time and then post them so having to wait 30 seconds in between each one it can be a pain at times. Other then that can't really complaon

I Love the way that it is formatted and I would not like to see that taken away, and I also Like the features of this roleplaying website.

I had a hard time at first trying to figure out if people were or were not joining my rp's.

I don't think that I can really think of anything off the top of my head that I don't really like about this role playing website.

I think that could be special features for different genres of rp's.

I haven't really spotted any problems so far, and I have figured out most of the problems I did have by myself.

- OTHER COMMENTARY!

Nothing more to add that I know of. :bsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.