The Road

"Great!" Susan exclaimed, scooting over on the booth to make room for the freckled-face girl. Taking her plate of pancakes, she slid it over a bit so Sue could reach.

"I ordered so much, you're welcome to share it with me. When is the last time you've had something decent to eat?" The question might have been a little weird, but Susan was sure the girl was too young to be running around on her own like this. Maybe it was those pesky maternal instincts kicking in.

Sue brightened at the sight of offered food.

“Why thank ya, ma’am,” she chirped and happily dug in, though she took great care to space out her bites, instead of wolfing down the entire plate. “Ah had a little something, earlier,” she lied, “but this is very sweet of you."

The motley crew spent the next few minutes eating peacefully, occasionally offering friendly chitchat to each other. Though, to be fair, it was mostly Sue and Susan who did the chitchatting.

“Oh hey, you mind if ah’ go ahead and dump mah bag in the back of your car, while ya’ll pay your half of the check?” Sue placed a few bills on the table for her portion.

Elsewhere.
"Gawd damnit, I'm gunna kill me that lil' whore."
An engine roared to life.

"I'll take you. Here, give me the keys." Susan held out her hand until Connor forked over the keys to the SUV. A few dollars, more than plenty enough for her share of the meal came out of her shirt pocket. She figured, it was a good moment for Road-Trip Commander Connor to figure out who was staying and who was going, while she packed Sue away.

Walking out of the restaurant and to the car, Susan did feel SO much better with some food in her! The little beast in her belly seemed content for the time being. This left her with a wide smile as they crossed around to the back and she unlocked the truck. Remembered what she had found in her duffel bag broke that smile for a fraction of a second, but she remembered whose company she was in.

"Here we go. A little cramped, but you can toss your stuff in here. Looks like a couple people already took off..." Susan was going how many bags were missing.

Meanwhile a huge semi truck was now pulling up in to the parking lot. Inside was on furious looking trucker.