The RIGHT way to wash the dishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My cousin has a dishwasher, and she still washes her dishes by hand. She's a major germ freak, and swears that dishwashers don't get dishes as clean.

Being in university, I've been sharing dishes with other students for the past few years. There's never been a problem with dirty dishes building up in the sink, but everyone I've lived with always seems to have a thing against putting the clean dishes away. It drives me up a wall to have a huge stack of dishes - dirty or clean - sitting on the counter when I'm cooking. More of a...clean it and put it away directly after eating kind of dish doer.

Reactions: Greenie
I wash them by hand with a iron scrubber and a sponge and I use bleach and Dawn extra. I mainly use the iron scrubber since I like to make sure there is NOTHING on my dishes, and then I use my sponge. After that, I put the dishes into my dishwasher and use liquid dish-washer soap and some Oxy clean. The dish washer's setting is always on hot water, pots and pans and air dry.

By the end of it all my dishes are so clean that they'll act as mirrors and kill every form of bacteria that touches them. dust refuses to even get near my dishes due to how clean they are. Angels envy the purity of my dishes and demons are exorcised from my home as soon as I put them away.

Yeah, I'm serious about my dishes.

I don't wash the dishes, but I do load them into the dishwasher. I do get annoyed whenever anyone else does it, as they invariably do it inefficiently.

Relevant

I have a dishwasher, but I wash the dishes before loading them. Also, I'm super picky about how it gets loaded.

Last edited:
Leave them on the counter until my wife gets mad at the dishes piling up.

[spoili]then I load it and run it when she's not looking cause she gets mad I don't load the dishwasher properly[/spoili]

Relevant

I have a dishwasher, but a I wash the dishes before loading them. Also, I'm super picky about how it gets loaded.

You don't need to wash the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher. Now I am being super picky about just talking about doing dishes. All you need to do is rinse all the food gunk off of it when you first use it. Instead of it sitting on the counter with food to calcify, rinse your dishes. Rinse them and stick them in the dishwasher. The dishwasher gets your dishes clean. It's just a waste of water to wash dishes and then put them in the dishwasher.

I dont like dishes being in the sink when i wash dishes. It irks me so much when someone slides a dish in the sink, put it on the counter! I get overwhelmed seeing so many dishes in front of me. I also like to wash everything separately. Cups with cups, plates with plates, etc. ...it's just how i do.

You don't need to wash the dishes before you put them in the dishwasher. Now I am being super picky about just talking about doing dishes. All you need to do is rinse all the food gunk off of it when you first use it. Instead of it sitting on the counter with food to calcify, rinse your dishes. Rinse them and stick them in the dishwasher. The dishwasher gets your dishes clean. It's just a waste of water to wash dishes and then put them in the dishwasher.
I know you don't need to wash them before hand... But I do.

My cousin has a dishwasher, and she still washes her dishes by hand. She's a major germ freak, and swears that dishwashers don't get dishes as clean.

I feel they dont wash well too. It's like they hit randon parts of the dish and sometimes there's a really bad smell omo. I have seen them come out dirty in different homes omo.

I feel they dont wash well too. It's like they hit randon parts of the dish and sometimes there's a really bad smell omo. I have seen them come out dirty in different homes omo.

Improper rinsing technique. Not use Hi Temp Wash or Sanitize features on some dishwashers.

My husband and I have a dishwasher and we still prefer to handwash. Primarily because we don't accumulate enough dishes usually to make running the dishwasher feel "worth it."

Running a dishwasher uses a lot of water, so if we're only washing two people's worth of plates and cups and cookware, it never really made sense for us to use the dishwasher since we usually wash the dishes every night. On the few occasions we get too tired/lazy and let them pile up though, we do use it in those cases.

But the way we do it isn't that specific. We usually soak the big stuff (pots, pans, cookware) and leave it for last. Soap everything first, then we assembly line it where I hand him things to rinse off while I soap up and clean off the other things. It gets stuff done quick!

Throw everything into the dirty, warm, soap water. Scrub, scrub, scrub. Wash off with cold water. Put it away to dry. DOOONE!

Or just throw it into the dishwasher and turn the dishwasher on every third to sixth day depending on how long it takes for it to get full. Much less time spent on dishes and much easier :D

In my household, my boyfriend does all the dishes and I only do the silverware, it's fantastic. We always tend to wash by hand even though we have a dishwasher, I think it's because we were so used to the other one flooding onto the floor in our old apartment we just won't use the washer in this one. :P

Give the dishes a quick rinse, toss them into the dishwasher any which way, run whenever it seems needful, empty whenever you feel like it or need the dishwasher again.

Soap up the sponge with Dawn or w/e brand we use.
Run the water hot, but not too hot (turn on the cold faucet slightly).
Scrub the dishes with the sponge and rinse with the hot water.
Repeat until done.
Voila!

At my mother's, the order to wash dishes was: cups, glasses, plates, bowls, utensils, plastic shenanigans like Tupperware, not-so-dirty-pot, very-dirty-pan.

However, my hubby and I try to wash as we go with a refillable dish scrubber and it's amazing.

Innovation-page_front-cover_dualactionrange1.jpg

Otherwise, if I need to wash by hand, I use my own hand-knit dish clothes:

dishcloth1.jpg

As a professional dishwasher, I do not believe in a right way to wash dishes. Only in better ways.

And I have mastered them all. [spoili] I've actually considered writing a book with detailed diagrams on the exact techniques I use for every type of dish, because I have tried to train at least a dozen incompetent dishwashers in my time. Unfortunately, by the time it would haven been completed, it'd probably end up being outdated.

[/spoili] Of course, some seem to think I have taken my dedication to the art too far—usually by criticizing my tendency to utilize my fingernails as an alternative to sponges.

The right way to wash the dishes is to not wash the dishes!

I mean, shove 'em in the sink to soak for 10 minutes, then shove 'em in the dishwasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.