The Right Road

Dancing had been perfect, nothing could compare to it, and Melody's delayed response proved she enjoyed it as much as he did. Both had allowed the moment to take them, a wonderful escape from the daily life. Melody's thanks made Emmanuel smile and he responded," Aww sucks Melody don't mention it. Besides, I enjoyed it a lot myself."

Returning to the present Emmanuel wished he could've stayed there with Melody for eternity, but he knew better. The few moments of bliss were special because they were few and far between. Being with Melody however was an amazing experience in and of itself.

As they walked back to their booth Emmanuel held her hand so she could support herself if needed. As they sat down however instead of him sitting across, he sat next to Melody still holding her hand...

They night seemed to speed through as they talked. Throughout the whole thing their hands hadn't released, and Emmanuel's heart stayed elevated throughout. They were beginning to talk about their life, and Emmanuel asked, "So Melody once you conquer riding what else do you plan to do? What do you want to do in your life?"

Somehow throughout the night began to get closer and closer, though Melody was certainly not complaining. There was no missing the way his boot tapped her foot underneath the table, or the tender clasp of his hand throughout the night. She enjoyed his company immensely and though it was nearing eleven at night, she wasn't near to ready to go home. In fact, she could have stayed there, with that man, for the rest of her life.

Melody bit her lip slightly when he asked what she planned to do with her life. A lot of Melody's dreams had been put on hold when she was injured, and for the moment part, she hadn't picked any of them back up. She hated herself for doing that, but usually didn't have the strength or motivation. Going back to what she loved just reminded her how much she had changed.

"Well," she started slowly, looking down at her lap sheepishly, "I wanted to be a vet for a long time. But... the school is out of state, so that's a no-go. Now I think I might just go to school and become a preschool teacher or daycare worker. My heart is set on having a harem of kids, though, and just staying at home as they grow." Her cheeks flushed as she admitted her longing for a family. Despite her disability, she still had hope she would have a husband and children someday.

Emmanuel really enjoyed Melody's company, she was so easy going and fun. His boot still rapping on Melody's Emmanuel hoped she didn't mind, he was nervous, but wasn't sure that was the only reason for it. As eleven struck the elderly couple said their adieus to everyone then stepped out. As they had talked Emmanuel's fingers traced circles around hers. He was very immersed into this wonderful new feeling he had, just being around Melody would bring it about. His questions about her also attested to having no desire to quit the meeting. As Melody pondered his question he noted her biting her lip looking very cute when thinking.

"The vet job sounds good, but so does the Teaching. You gotta be good with kids though, you think you up for it?" Emmanuel respected her career outlooks, both were respectable, however he was happy she didn't want to focus only on her career. "It's a good thing you still want children, how many would you want? Personally I adore kids, though I'm not sure I would be a good father."

Melody cocked her head to the side and imagined that Emmanuel could someday make a great father. He worked great with Snippy, and if he used that kind of care and gentleness with a new baby, Melody couldn't see where he could go wrong. Still, men were different when it came to children; some of them go their entire life hating the idea of having another human dependent on them.

"How many?" she asked shyly. Her cheeks blushed again, not wanting to lie to him. It was no secret anyways that she wanted an overly large family, "maybe six or seven children."
Emmanuel's jaw hung open a bit and Melody laughed nervously, leaning in and tucking her head underneath his chin. His scent wrapped around him, and Melody closed her eyes, content when he wrapped his well muscled and worked arms around her, tucking her in closer.
When Melody opened her eyes again she told him, "we will see how it goes for the first though. I've lost a lot of feeling, kind of randomly, across my lower body... so they are not sure if... if... well, you get the idea."

Six to seven kids? Wow, now that was unexpected. Emmanuel had to hand it to her, she wasn't kidding when she said she wanted kids. He expected her to say 4 or maybe 5. But her idea was greater. Still contemplating seven beds just like in Snow White he figured it would have to be a pretty big house. There would be have to be seven of everything, then including the parents... that was a lot. Thinking more about it, whether difficult or not Emmanuel smiled thinking that regardless there would be a lot of love in that home.

As she leaned in closer to him he instinctively brought his arm around her rubbing her shoulder up and down. It felt right having her so close and he was just holding her assuring Melody she was welcome and wanted. When Melody stated her uncertainty as to children, Emmanuel felt sad. Most people that could have kids wouldn't want to, or maybe one or two. Here Melody wanted many, and it wasn't guaranteed. Emmanuel saw the same pattern over and over again, those that desired the most had the least, those that suffered had so little, and the undeserving had plenty.

Emmanuel answered positively, "I understand Melody, but it seems you would really love children. I'm sure you'll get your wish." He wanted to lighten the mood so he said the first thing that came through his head, "You know if I could have babies I would I'd carry it in my tummy and all"

Melody laughed softly at his suggestion; was a grown man, a straight one at that, telling her that if he could he would have a baby for her? It was comical but touching nonetheless. Melody was glad to know that he cared for her enough to say such a thing. For some reason, Emmanuel always knew what to say to her. From that first day at the stable when he had coaxed her through, she realized that he had a special knack for saying all the right things.

"If God wants me to have a child then it will happen," she smirked, closing her eyes and listening to the music. Now that it was getting later they were playing lighter, softer music, the kind that couples could easily dance or just relax to. The smooth ballad made Melody's body relax and she pressed herself in Emmanuel. "I imagine we all have a special little plan. And it's just our duty to find and follow it. If I have kids, they so be it. If not, I would love to adopt, or perhaps just work with them."

She smiled lightly and blinked up at him, "what do you want when you're older?"

Emmanuel felt silly as soon as he had spoken his agreeing to have a baby. It was the truth though, and he meant it. He saw her true desire for offspring and to think that she might not be able. Melody however just laughed at his unconventional suggestion, instead of mocking him which made him feel good. He really could be himself with her not worrying about reprimands for not acting a certain way.

Melody's view on things also brought perspective and Emmanuel commented, "That is true, God willing you'll have kids. You've been through a lot so I'm sure he won't deny you that. Adoption also sounds nice, I wouldn't mind adopting myself. Melody's question about his future plans had him reflecting.

"Well for now i'm just working trying to get my life in order. I'm busy at the rodeo, and doing odd jobs here and there. Back home my family isn't doing so hot, and I wanna make sure they're okay before worrying about myself." After a few minutes of deep thinking he admitted, "However I've always wanted to try my hand at carpentry, and if I ever go back to school it would be for that."

Melody smiled a bit to herself; they all had hopes and dreams, problems and roadblocks. It didn't matter if you had been paralyzed from the waist or if you simply didn't have enough money to go around... everything had their struggles, and they had to learn to get going on. Melody had learned that, above all else through this journey.

The young woman happily tucked underneath his arm, reveling in his heat and warm scent. Could they just stay here forever? "That is sweet, that you are trying to put your family first," she grinned, "do you have a lot of siblings that can help, as well?"

Having Melody pressed up close to him made him feel some type of way. It was a wonderful feeling, and his heart began racing again. When Melody inquired for any siblings Emmanuel replied, "Well I am trying, however I don't have any siblings." He wondered what it would be like to have a brother or a sister to grow up with. Maybe it would have been fun, and maybe he wouldn't have grown up so shy. Regardless he added, "I do have my mother and uncle whom both I look up to, and of course you know Snippy. She's amazing, and I don't know what I'd do without her." Remembering his family and how he was brought up, Emmanuel wondered about Melody's family. He then asked, "What about you Melody? What's your family like, if you don't mind me asking?"

Melody admired her me companion greatly for what he was doing. Most men these days would leave their family behind at the first sign of trouble... Her fiancé Richard was a prime example of that. He was slowly making a bigger place in her heart from himself and tucked himself inside there with every question Melody asked. Emmanuel was certainly a force to be reckoned with but Melody could only see the good in him. The young woman smiled at the mention of her family. Compared to Emmanuel she had a very large but rather stable family. Most of her siblings had married off now by that didn't make the house any little hectic. Now that they were atarting families of their own the house as often full of people. "I have a bit family. I am one of identical triples and I also have two brothers. Sometimes I wonder how my parents managed with all us children. They are all good people though... Naturally very protective after what happened on that horse. I love them dearly though."

Emmanuel hadn't ever been so open with someone, he usually never brought up his family, even to his closest friends. Now he was just talking about it calmly and even happy about it to Melody. She sure was something, very unique and wonderful. Her demeanor also was very attractive making her amazing on many levels. She also seemed to have some values, especially as far as family was concerned. Many women Emmanuel had talked to were just focused on the now, and when Emmanuel's family needs came first they would get upset and bolt! Melody on the other hand seemed to have a good head on her shoulders, and she could connect with him in respects to putting importance to family. Emmanuel was really taking a liking to her, yet he wondered how she felt about him. Thinking best to give that one time, he listened as Melody talked about her family with a lot of love. She obviously had grown in a good home, and with many siblings.

"That sounds really great, you're a twin? That sounds super interesting, what are brothers and sisters like?" Just the information she had given him had sparked many more questions and he forgot himself as he didn't give her a chance to answer before saying, "That is good that they are protective, they must really care for you."

Melody giggled softly, noticing that he was a little dazed. She wondered what he was thinking about and admired his angular jaw and soft eyes. Then she murmured, "a triplet, actually. There are three of us that look exactly the same... or nearly. So if you see two other versions of me going around town, those are my sisters!" It was often that Melody was stopped by someone didn't know, only to have to explain that she was a triplet and that person was probably looking for her sisters. It had been happening since they were kids, and Melody was used to it by now.

Her lips trembled a bit when he commented on their protectiveness. And for a moment, all she did was admire the man beside her. Emmanuel was truly a handsome man; she wondered how he had managed to stay single all this time. Sweet, funny, loving, and good looking... surely there was something she was missing. Women should be all over him! Perhaps he normally kept to himself.

The young woman leaned her head on his shoulder again and sighed softly, "they drive me nuts. For awhile, they wouldn't even let me go out of bed! Eventually I just shoved them all aside and figured that if I'm going to be laying down all my life, I'm definitely never going to walk again. They are all married now, except for Heath, because he is in the Navy." She frowned a bit, recalling the fact that she too would have been married had it not been for the accident. In a way though, Melody was glad - what kind of husband would Richard have been if he'd actually loved her, for better or for worse? Maybe she was lucky that the accident had happened when it did, not a year down the road.

Melody tried to smile, but her eyes betrayed her, "I'm come to realize that in the end, my family are so important. They loved and protected and cherished me no matter what happened. As much as they drive me nuts, I truly do appreciate them."

So she was a triplet, Emmanuel wondered what the other two must look like? Were they really alike? Emmanuel wanted to be able to tell them apart, and he glanced at Melody. Gazing at her countenance, Emmanuel noted her beautiful eyes, and her fine figure, as if she had been drawn by a painter. He then noted a set of freckles on her nose that made Melody look adorable. He really like their arrangement, and Emmanuel focused on them, committing them to memory. She had giggled at his rapid fire questions, and Emmanuel felt silly, but it was okay. Watching Melody Emmanuel noted that she also had a little bit of hesitation. He didn't talk to many people, but his uncle who played a lot of poker taught him some simple facial expressions. Emmanuel wondered what was bothering Melody, yet he knew better than to ask.

Maybe she like him had a dark past. Her hesitation made him wonder about his own troubles, and how he had to skip town just to get a job. He didn't feel so good doing it, but it was working out, and Emmanuel wondered if she had heard about his dad's antics with the outlaws. Trying not to focus too much on such negative thoughts, Emmanuel returned his eyes upon Melody. Just her lovely face helped him forget everything, until she was all that remained. She seemed to be deep in thought, as she talked about how she had developed her love for her family. It was true, they may be the ones that irritate you the most, yet they are also the ones that love you the most.

As Melody laid her head upon his shoulder, Emmanuel built the courage to brush her hair with his hand in slow tender strokes. He then asked, "How is the Navy like? I've always wondered about enlisting."

Melody smiled gently and leaned into him a bit more as he began to stroke her hair. The young woman thought she would never enjoy the company of a man after Richard but she had to admit that Emmanuel was rapidly growing on her. There was something so trusting about him, like she could tell him something and he would never breathe it to a soul.
"I have no idea what it is like," she jested, playfully elbowing him in the ribs, "Heath is in the Navy, not me. In all seriousness though, he seems to really enjoy it. He was meant to come home for good two years ago, but re-enlisted. He's already making his way up the ranks. Ma and pa are really proud of him."

After awhile the two of them chatted and danced again, laughing despite the fact that Melody's legs were gradually beginning to give up underneath her. Luckily, Emmanuel was strong enough to hold her weight and they moved around the room until their bellies were sore from waltzing around and laughing.
When Emmanuel went to go and pay for their meals at the register, Melody contentedly waited on one of the bar stools. She was just admiring the warm and comforting atmosphere of the place, though, when a deep but very familiar voice came up from behind her. A gentle but large hand cupped her shoulder, and Melody was sure that she could recognize that scent anywhere. After nearly four years of smelling it daily, it was nearly engrained in her mind. A mixture of sweat and horses, leather and wood.

"What's a pretty little thing doing here all by yourself?" Richard asked.
Melody sat there, absolutely stunned for a moment. Here was the man she had been about to marry, and also the man that had completely dumped her upon hearing her injuries. When she had been hurt, the first thing out of his mouth hadn't been how she was - it had been a question about the location of the ten thousand dollar engagement ring he bought her.
Melody looked up at him, a little dumbstruck. She stood up, a little shaky, "leave me alone, Richard."
A warm hand reached out for again, jerking her back a bit. "Come on baby, I just wanted to say hi. I promise I won't say anything to upset you."
Melody wanted to tell him that the moment he spoke he had upset her, but she was more concerned with getting away. She jerked her arm away but considering her compromised legs, the motion had her falling forward, her legs giving up underneath her weight.

Melody's nudges tickled Emmanuel, and he laughed, they had spent so much time together, yet Emmanuel wasn't tired or bored of her company. He really enjoyed being with Melody, and as the rest of the events played out, it turned out to be a spectacular night. Once last call was announced, regardless of their desires it was time to go. Emmanuel promised to return as he went to pay, a big cheesy grin on his face. As he was paying, the cashier told Emmanuel, "You got another steed after your lass" and Emmanuel lifted his head.

Back where Melody was, a guy was standing behind her, his hand on her. Emmanuel knew that although they weren't in any relationship they had just spent the last few hours being very personal. Melody didn't seem too happy to be graced by this man's presence, and Emmanuel wondered what he wanted. Not picking up his change Emmanuel's feet crossed the floor in a few strides. He then saw Melody pull away from the man. Her legs then slipped and she was about to fall when Emmanuel reached out to her. One hand had reached her shoulder while the other caught Melody across her chest. Stabilizing her and making sure she was safe on her seat Emmanuel was vexed. This man had just crossed the line, he didn't even try to help Melody up as he watched her slip. He didn't know who this guy was, but he wouldn't deal with him anymore. "You got some nerve, coming in here upsetting people then causing them harm. Who the hell do you think you are?"

Melody was sure that she had never been happier for another man's presence. Richard seemed insistent to speak with her, but Melody really had nothing to say. She reached up and gripped onto Emmanuel's muscular bicep when she was safely seated back down, sort of indicating to him to calm down and that she wasn't hurt in any way.

Richard's dark brows shot up into his forehead, giving him that stupid look on his face and made Melody want to smack him. He acted so arrogant and mighty at times that Melody wondered what in the world in had ever seen in him. It was true when they said that love is blind; hindsight was always 20/20, and looking back, Melody could easily see that he was the biggest jerk she had ever known.
He laughed softly, "look kid, I'm just trying to talk to my fiance here."
Melody grumbled and her shook hastily, shooting Richard a look, "ex-fiance, Richard. What do you want? I'm not interested in talking to you."
Richard reached out and patted the young woman on the head, like she was a dog or a child. Melody pushed his hand away and Richard just chuckled, eying the two of them carefully. "What's a little conversation between friends, baby? I'm not gonna say anything nasty."

Melody just her head, slowly rising to her feet and thankful when Emmanuel wrapped an arm around her waist, stabilizing. Richard looked down at her legs for a moment and Melody felt like attacking him right then and there. Instead, though, she just turned to Emmanuel and timidly asked, "do you mind if we go now?"

Once he was sure Melody was seated well Emmanuel focused his attention to this stranger. Melody tried to grab his attention, but the way this guy had grabbed Melody angered him. He acted like he owned her, like she should subject himself to his will. Emmanuel wouldn't have it, and the mans disregard for Melody's weak legs infuriated him more. The stranger spoke and Emmanuel's brain focused on "fiance"... Emmanuel was utterly confused, and his mind raced trying to process this new information, fiance? Ex fiance? Richard? This guy reeked of cockiness, and he carried himself in a haughty way which left no doubt in Emmanuel that he looked down on many people. As "Richard" patted Melody, Emmanuel was going to push him, but Melody quickly reacted, and Emmanuel smirked. Just hearing him talk got under his skin, and Emmanuel was about to deck him, when Melody offered to leave.

Emmanuel then reflected on her, and how she must feel very uncomfortable. Whatever relation she had with "Richard" Emmanuel figured by Melody's reaction it was over. As she stood Emmanuel knew she was using all her strength to stay up. All the dancing had tired her out, and he knew she was masking her fatigue well. Emmanuel conceded despite his anger, and agreed, "Yeah lets get out of here" was all he spoke and he wrapped his hand around Melody's waist as they walked out. He thought he heard Richard say something, but his attention was more focused on Melody. "Let's get to my truck, it's not to far" he assured. It was a good thing he hadn't parked too far. And with a little help Melody was inside.

Melody slumped forward in the passenger seat as Emmanuel rounded the truck and once he was in, she felt the tears begin to surface. It had been awhile since she had last cried over Richard - she imagined she had gotten most of it out in the first few weeks, when she felt as though her life was ending - but there was no containing the tears now. That man was horrible, arrogant, cruel, and just a downright jackass. The thought that she had almost married him made Melody shivered.

She cupped her hands over her face and tried to take a few deep breaths. She could feel Emmanuel's presence beside her, and as her shoulders began to shake, she could feel his warm hand against her arm. Melody just shook her head and continued to cry softly. "I... I can't believe I almost married that man! He is the biggest bastard on the planet... acting like we are still engaged! I-I don't know... I don't understand what he wants from me..."

Slowly Melody removed her face from her hands and looked at Emmanuel. She trusted him more than she cared to admit, and for once, she felt like she could actually spill her emotions to someone. "He... he is a very awful man! Dumps me because I am not the perfect little rancher's wife and then acts as though he never did a thing." Hot tears fell down her cheeks.