The Right Road

"Yes we are half way there." Emmanuel answered trying to sound confident. They had made great progress and every step they took Melody's grip seemed to tighten slightly. They kept stepping slowly not trying to run through but also not trying to stay. "Keep going you're doing great!" Emmanuel encouraged hoping to ease her agitation and soon enough they exited the other end of the stable.

The worst behind them Emmanuel let a sigh of relief. "We're across now Melody you can open your eyes" as he spoke her name he realized how much he liked how it sounded. After a minute or two Melody's eyes opened up and Emmanuel greeted her with a smile, "See that wasn't so bad was it?" They were still holding hands and although her hand inside his felt nice he reluctantly let go, showing respect for her and not making it awkward.

When they finally made it out on the other side, Melody took a deep breath and smiled softly. Despite the ordeal she had just gone through, she felt oddly light, like the experience had lifted a weight off of her chest. She had expected to feel worse coming out, being reminded of what she had left behind when she had been injured. But it had just brought back a rush of good feelings, of forgetting her worries on horseback, of living with happiness and hope.

Without really even thinking, Melody flung her arms around Emmanuel's neck and hugged him close. It felt wonderful when he finally placed his arms around her, although a little tentatively. He was muscular and hard where Richard and her father had always been soft and pudgy. He smelled wonderful, too, a radius of scent wrapped around them.
Her legs were screaming to rest after walking for what felt like forever to her, but she couldn't resist showing her gratitude.

"Thank you," she whispered, "thank you for walking me through."

Emmanuel wasn't sure how his idea had worked out, but he was glad Melody handled it well. Melody then replied to his unasked question by hugging him suddenly. He welcomed the unexpected surprise and allowed himself to enjoy the moment. Her body although slim was warm, her hands felt heavenly around him and a feminine aroma filled his brain creating a euphoric moment. After what seemed hours they released the embrace, and Emmanuel replied to her shyly looking down, "It was no trouble Melody..."

Emmanuel thought it was probably best to call it a day, and suggested escaping the midday heat. Walking back to the office he admitted to Melody, "I'm sorry if my uh 'Method' of easing you into riding again was funny. But you really did great, and I'm it must've been hard for you." Before Melody could answer however Emmanuel's stomach grumbled. Apparently all the days excitement had distracted him enough to forget to eat, and now his stomach was making sure it was heard. "Sorry bout that, I seem to have forgotten my appetite" laughing after this an idea came to his head. "Have you had anything to eat?"

As they walked, Melody's legs began to ache. It was the equivalent of an average person running a double marathon and trying to walk after - or at least, that was what her doctors had said when trying to explain the condition to her parents. Her muscle tone had gone done greatly, and even though she worked out often, she could never get that strength back with all the damage the accident had done.

She was more than relieved when they finally entered the office. She collasped into the first chair that she say and sighed softly. Then she realized that Emmanuel had asked her a question and she smiled sheepishly. "Yes, I did," she nodded.

After sitting for a few more seconds, she texted her father to come and pick her up. Then she bounced from the road to the best of her ability and smiled broadly at Emmanuel. Without really thinking, she planted a kiss on his cheek and said, "thank you, for everything. My father will set up the next day... probably next weekend. Thank you, again." And with that she exited the office, a soft smile on her lips.

Emmanel grabbed himself a piece of chicken and some biscuits, after making a pitcher of lemonade he sat down to eat. As he chewed his meal he thought of Melody. A big gulp of lemonade cleared his throat, and he reflected on the day's events. He had assumed that it would just be another regular day, how wrong was he. Melody was definitely something else; from her past to her personality she was unique. The riding lessons would also have to be adjusted somehow, he was dealing with something new here. He wanted to help her out as much as he could to see her riding, to remind her of the magic of horses.

Emmanuel then remembered the hug and the light kiss Melody had parted with, and how they had sent thousands of electric volts through his skin. He kept replaying both moments in his head allowing himself to enjoy it, until his uncertainty kicked in. "Don't dig too much into that, she may have just been happy for what she accomplished. You just happened to be there..." Could that be true? Emmanuel wasn't sure but he knew he enjoyed the time with her, and she had wanted to try again. Maybe he hadn't done as bad as he thought. Next weekend then he smiled, then he remembered that today the bank closed early!

Quickly picking up his plate he rinsed them off and rushed out. Saying goodbye to Snippy he jumped into his pickup and was on his way to the bank. He needed to send some money back home and pick up his Aunt Maggie, and he was running late.

Melody returned to the ranch that following Sunday, wearing a pair of snug blue jeans and an old plaid shirt that buttoned up the front. She was insistent on riding today, even as she got closer and her stomach started to clench. If all she was going to do was walk through the stable with her eyes closed she was only wasting everyone's time.

Luckily Emmanuel was waiting for her this time in the office, a wide smile on his lips. He was even more handsome than Melody had recalled, and her knees wobbled a little bit. She must have looked a bit pale from fear because his brow furrowed a bit as she entered and grabbed at the railing. They went through the usual pleasantries and Melody asked how the horses were fairing. He smiled at her interest and told her they were wonderful; a new foal had just been born, a cute little thing that wouldn't be worth much but had a special place in his heart.

Once they stepped outside, Melody crossed her arms across her chest and sighed, "I'm ready to ride today. I don't care if I faint on top of the darn horse. I need to get on there, or we're not going to get anything accomplished." God forbid her father come by one day and realize that his daughter wasn't even touching the animals she used to love so dearly.

Emmanuel was excited. The day had proved to be a good one, and Melody had just added more to it. The week had passed by quickly, and now he was ready to continue the lessons. Talking with Melody Emmanuel was happy to hear that she was still willing to ride. In fact she seemed more determined to mount than before, and he couldn't be happier. Throughout the week Emmanuel had asked different people at the rodeo to mount Snippy just so she'd be used to new people. The results were perfect as Snippy tolerated them. Snippy had an attitude and Emmanuel enjoyed it, but he made sure that Snippy was comfortable with a different face.

"Let's get to it then" Emmanuel stated. "Hopefully you won't mind riding my horse Snippy." They reached the stable and Emmanuel ran in quickly to get Snippy. As they walked back outside Emmanuel presented them, "Snippy I want you to meet Melody. She is determined to ride, and lucky us get to help her. Now be nice and bear with us as we do this." Snippy's eye fell upon Melody and then she snorted in agreement, sometimes Emmanuel swore she understood. Emmanuel then noted Melody smiling and invited her to come closer.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_O5zjSP4YacU/TLjGy4Ck42I/AAAAAAAAAAs/BgxNhQ4PnXY/s1600/caballo-azteca.jpg

"She won't bite Melody, unless you take her carrots." Emmanuel laughed and felt very comfortable. Melody slowly eased closer. Melody introduced herself, and an apprehensive hand eased itself to Snippy's warm dark brown skin. "Whenever you're ready Melody we'll get you up on her and I'll lead you until you feel comfortable. What do you think?"

Melody felt like a young girl trying to get on her first horse all over again. Her heart was pounding as she guided her foot into the stirrup and allowed Emmanuel to lift her up onto the saddle. Suddenly she was higher than she expected, and her breath caught in her throat. So much for being strong; she felt like she was going to faint and go flying off the tall beast. The mere thought made her throat close up, and she looked down at Emmanuel with a horrified expression.

Her knuckles were white as she clutched onto the reins and her eyes were squeezed shut. She knew that if she opened them she was going to have a panic attack. She felt Snippy shift underneath her, seeming to sense the rider's unease. She also heard Emmanual try to calm the horse down, adjusting her rider's boot from digging into her flank.
Emmanuel reached out and touched her leg, but Melody was still too afraid to open her eyes, "it's okay, Melody. You won't fall."
She just shook her head, feeling the bile rise in her throat. Her throat was closing and it felt like someone was sitting on her chest. She fought to fight her voice but nothing came out. She was on the verge of a panic attack and she was on top of a horse.

The young woman could barely comprehend what was happening around her, but before she knew it, a warm and solid form had shimmied into the saddle behind her. Emmanuel's warm, musky scent wrapped her and Melody instinctively pressed back into into his muscular chest. Her eyes were still squeezed shut as he tucked an arm around her waist and promised her that she would be safe now. Melody just gulped, her heart still pounding.

Emmanuel tried to ease her, "It's okay Melody, focus." As he spoke he reached an arm over and around her then laid it upon hers gently. Melody reacted by realeasing her grip on the reigns a little. Emmanuel then began taking control of the horse, and Snippy felt comfortable enough to be led. As Emmanuel controlled Snippy with one hand, the other was on Melody's shoulder keeping her steady and rubbing her for comfort. As they slowly stepped left to right again and again Melody's color returned.

"Your doing good Melody, don't worry" Emmanuel reassured. They were about to reach the end of the fence so Emmanuel turned Snippy slowly. Melody let out a sigh and then turned back to look at him. Their eyes locked and Emmanuel smiled, "Don't worry, I'm here and I'll make sure you don't fall." The words seemed to motivate Melody and after two more turns she asked for the reigns. Emmanuel willingly let go of the reigns, but kept them on hers, and Melody although shaking a little took control.

Snippy took some time to adjust to the new rider, but once she did it was a smooth ride. Her breathing returned to normal and she wasn't so tense. She was doing it! Emmanuel relaxed his attention to detail to just enjoy the moment of them together. Her hair smelled amazing and her skin felt so soft. The sun was out, riding Snippy...everything came together to make this an exceptional day. As they continued, Emmanuel spoke, "See this isn't so bad is it?" Melody agreed with him, and they continued a couple more times around, then Emmanuel decided to take a break and maybe call it a day.

Emmanuel got off pretty easily, Melody however was another story. She stayed on the horse too scared to move. Emmanuel then tied Snippy, and held out his hand to Melody...

Melody was surprised that she had been able to open her eyes, much less take the reigns of the horse. She attributed her sense of confidence and safety though to the man that was directing her; how could she not feel better with his muscular arms wrapped around her waist, his hands directing her if she did something ill. By the time they had made a few rounds her eyes were lit with excitement, and though she was still shaking a bit, her heartbeat had returned to the normal.

Now, getting off of the beast was another issue in itself. She had been trying to ignore the distance between the saddle and the ground, and now that she was meant to hop down, it seemed like a mile away. She stared at Emmanuel for a moment, siding one leg over. Naturally, she lost her balance and came tumbling down into his arms. Melody half expected to hit the ground, and she braced for impact, her teeth clenching. But once again though strong arms came to wrap around her, and she was still standing.

Melody opened her eyes and her mouth parted slightly. She stared up at Emmanuel for a long moment, stunned and utterly grateful.
"You're okay," he smirked down at her. At his imploring gaze, her cheeks flushed.
She smiled sheepishly, "thank you."

Emmanuel was pleased that her fall although not the most graceful had resulted injury free. He had seen her hesitation to dismount and was able to react. Melody landed in his arms, and when she looked up to him he really admired her beauty. Their eyes connecting Melody blushed, a very cute color before saying thanks. Emmanuel replied, "My pleasure Melody, I'm just glad you didn't get hurt." They remained in that position for a while, and only Snippy's nicker of jealousy returned them back to the present.

Standing up Emmanuel helped Melody up, then untying Snippy they made their way toward the stables. They kept conversation about various topics, from the weather to how their weeks had been. Saying bye to Snippy Melody and Emmanuel walked back to the office where Emmanuel got some waters. He hadn't noticed if she was struggling with her walking, but if she was she was good at hiding it.

Melody had forgotten what toll riding could take on a person's body. She hadn't been in the saddle that long but with the condition of her legs, they ached and it was hard to walk. She tried her best to mask her discomfort, but her eyes seemed to betray her. When they got inside Emmanuel immediately pulled up a chair for her, clearly observing the fact that she was having some physical symptoms of riding. But Melody wasn't about to divulge her pain to this man; after all, the last thing she wanted was his pity during all of this.

Slowly, Melody admired the room around her. She knew that Emmanuel did not own this place but it was easy to see traces of him around the room. There was a photo on one desk of a younger looking man and his parents, and a more recent one of Emmanuel and Snippy. Apparently the two had been partners for some time; Melody felt honoured to be able to ride him. She recalled her favourite horse from childhood, Snowball, sadly.

"Snippy really takes well to you," she murmured, "you trained her well. How long have you had her?"

Melody sat down and Emmanuel thought he had seen a small trace of discomfort. She must be in pain, but not openly admitting it. Emmanuel thought, and he knew if anything else he would react the same way. He didn't know her reason, but Emmanuel would do it for reasons of pride. He decided to allow her to bring it up when she was ready. Thinking more about it, he realized Melody really was unique. Having a lot of strength and personality within, besides she was really pretty. Melody's questions then turned his attention back unto himself.

Emmanuel sighed drinking some water, then replied to Melody's questions, "Thank you for saying that, we spend a lot of time together, so I actually talk to her, and I think she talks back." Emmanuel smiled and looked away mentioning this statement, he felt silly but it was the truth. He continued, "Me and Snippy met on my 18th birthday, since then we've been inseperable." Emmanuel stated this with a lot of happines and it was clear that he really cared for her. Then Emmanuel wondered, and asked, "What about you Melody? I like horses, what do you like?"

There was no denying that there was a connection between man and horse. Melody could fondly remember feeling the same way about snowball, the horse she had ridden for years. They had a language of their own, and for some reason, Melody felt as though the beast just knew what she was thinking. The thought of her loss made Melody's shoulders slump a bit; oh, what she would give for that feeling again.

Her lashes lifted when Emmanuel asked what she enjoyed.
Melody was a little embraced that she actually had to think about this - she supposed she was a pretty simple person with few actual hobbies and not a lot to her life. "Well," she started softly, "I read, a lot." Of course she was never divulge to Emmanuel that she most often picked up raunchy historical romances with just as much sex as there was plot line. She continued, "and I painted. My parents are madly protective, and so I don't get too much on my own anymore. I used to love dancing and swimming, but my legs are the bane of my existence now. My father used to take me to the local pubs when they had square dancing, and we'd step on each other's toes all night. It was wonderful."

Emmanuel listened with utmost attention. He never really found the appeal of reading, but her interest made him wonder if he was missing something. Emmanuel was never a talented man, so when she brought up painting he wanted to know more. "You painted? That's a mighty nice talent. I wish I could do something like that." When Emmanuel heard of Melody's overprotective parents he shrugged. Knowing what it was like to just have a mother he responded, "They may be overprotective, but you are lucky to have both parents. Besides they are just caring for you even though they may do it to a level you don't like." Emmanuel chuckled after this statement, then Melody mentioned her love for swimming and dancing. "I enjoy taking a dip even though I'm not any fish or anything. Dancing however, now that is something I can do pretty well." Just talking about it got Emmanuel into the mood and he did a quick two-step before laughing again and sitting down. As soon as he did it he wondered if it was too much. He normally left such antics to when he was alone, but Melody made him feel very comfortable.

She was so easy to get along with, a trait he found attractive. He had expected her to be leaving, but for whatever reason she hadn't which he thoroughly enjoyed. Deciding to be more open Emmanuel stated, "You actually seem pretty down to earth, I think that is actually pretty cool."

Somehow, later that night they ended up at one of the local bars. They had laughed the entire drive there, and Melody felt herself rapidly beginning to open up to Emmanuel. He was a sweet man, even offered to take her dancing that night. She sadly informed him that she could no longer do such a thing, she didn't have the stamina, but he just shrugged and offered to take her anyways.
So here Melody was, somehow managing to find herself on a date with the handsome cowboy.

Luckily, he didn't take her to a nearby booming nightclub. The bar was small and clearly had a country theme going on. Melody smiled at that, imagining Emmanuel coming here on weekends. It seemed like the type of place he would enjoy frequenting.

They entered and grabbed two drinks - Melody got a simple coke, unable to take alcohol with her medications, and Emmanuel sheepishly ordered a beer. A few couples were dancing on the floor, laughing and swinging about in each other's arms. Melody envied them and hoped they didn't take their ability to dance around for granted. She knew that she had before she had been in the accident. Now all she wanted to do was get on that floor and swing around with her handsome partner, but that's all it was... a wish.

Emmanuel took a sip from his beer, he didn't go out often, so when he did he enjoyed himself. Still wondering what gave him the courage to ask Melody to come here, he was glad he did. It was a small place, dimly light with country music playing nonstop. He had come here pretty often, but not ever accompanied by one so beautiful. Realizing this he smiled. "I don't normally bring anyone here, but I'm really glad you're here" Emmanuel admitted, staring at her gorgeous eyes. Melody smiled and returned his gaze.

The continued talking about various things, and Emmanuel spotted the old couple that came here every weekend to dance. They would dance and laugh till they couldn't do either anymore. Emmanuel smiled at their happiness, and when he noticed Melody's longing look he offered. "You know if you want, we can try cutting the rug, I don't mind looking silly." He wasn't sure how she would react or how she would handle it physically, but she did seem to want to try. "I don't mind making a fool of myself, hell I do that all the time" he laughed, it was true, although he did enjoy work he did have his silly side.

Melody looked at the people dancing, considering Emmanuel's offer. She had to admit that she longed to dance and the fact that he was offering made her feel a little better. After all, what was the worst that could happen? Maybe she'd get too tired to do it anymore or her legs would just give out. Melody found that she didn't really care though… she knew, above all else, that Emmanuel would take care of her if anything should happen.

Once she agreed he took her gently by the hand, pulling her up on the dance floor. A couple of people whistled from the bar, and Melody blushed sheepishly. Soon she found herself in Emmanuel's arms though, his hands on her hips and their bodies swaying to the country music. They laughed and smiled, and Melody found herself flushing even brighter, not used to the attention.

As they walked to the dance floor, Emmanuel was overwhelmed by the sudden excitement he felt. He was so busy thinking about Melody and if she'd say yes that he didn't even think about the aftermath. His heart beat faster and he swallowed trying to get some air, the cheers from the bartender who knew him didn't help either. But here he was dancing with a really pretty woman. He felt a little shy, but as they stepped slowly left to right, then forward and back to the slow beat he began getting comfortable.

The song they were dancing to ended, and another one played that Emmanuel liked. They danced slowly easing from side to side, feeling the warmth of the other. Melody's arms around him felt nice, and being so close to her was wonderful. It felt so natural dancing with her, the slow beat cascading around them and the fragrance of flowers enveloped Emmanuel. They enjoyed the whole song in silence just focusing on the other's physical presence on and around each other...

As the songs final notes played Melody had her head rested on Emmanuel's chest, and he lightly whispered, "How are you feeling Melody?"

Melody felt like she was floating on a cloud. Emmanuel's arms were wonderfully muscular and strong wrapped around her, and as she pressed her cheek against his broad chest, she enjoyed the warmth and scent that he radiated. He smelled like the horses but also like musk and man, a purely masculine scent that had Melody seeing stars. It took her a moment to realize that he had asked her a question and she pulled away slightly, blushing.

Now that they had danced a bit her legs were beginning to give out, but seeming to sense it, Emmanuel allowed the young woman to bear more of her weight on him. As the next song began to play, she was nearly pressing her entire body against him, his arms holding her up by around her hips.

"I...," she started slowly, smiling, "I'm wonderful. Thank you for giving me this beautiful gift, Emmanuel. I haven't danced in a very long time."