The Rich and the Poor

"My friend... She's over there." Derek said as he quickly glanced back to Zendaya. Once more looking to Penelope, he blinked a few times. "Hide and Seek?" He looked around and surely, there weren't many places to hide. "I have an idea," he said with feign surprise. Kneeling to her height again, he tapped her nose softly with his index finger. "You and I can play later if your parents 'hire' me." He knew the word hire was definitely not what he meant, but it was the best way to say it to the girl. "Deal?"

Her head tilted. Friend? Maybe they could all play together! A smile turned the corner of her lips upward as her nose was tapped. She was a genuinely happy child in public despite her loneliness. "We can play lots of things if they do that!" Her hopes of hiding and seeking with Derek and his friend drifted away with his idea of playing later. "Do you want to go see your friend?" To distract herself of her growing impatience to see the boss, she placed the palm of her small hands on Derek's face, covering up one of his eyes. Penelope was intrigued with their blue color that was different from her own.

Zendaya was glad she was able to relax for a bit. The couch was comfy compared to what she was use to. She could feel her eyelids grow heavy but fought the urge to sleep. Not here at least.
Sitting with legs crossed, Zendaya could feel eyes burning into her. Who the hell was staring?! That was her biggest pet peeve. It wasn't long until she found the culprit. Derek. Well, at least it was someone she knew.
Zendaya stood up and made her way over somewhat lazily. She was a little surprised to see him with a little girl. Derek wasn't exactly the kid type but it was a nice change. "Hey." She said, Zendaya's face softened seeing a friend. "Sup."

Derek laughed softly at Penelope's action, closing his eye as she placed her palm on it. He was going to answer the girl's question, but by the time he opened his mouth, his friend was already beside him. He looked up to Zendaya with a smirk as he stood straight once again. "Well, well, if it isn't Zendaya. I thought you hated this program," he raised an eyebrow. "Oh, by the way, this is Penelope," he gestured down to the younger girl beside him.

"I was cold and they have a heater. Sue me." Zendaya rolled her eyes with a slight pout. Of course she was just messing around. She wasn't outwardly rude all the time.
After being introduced to Penelope knelt and smiled. "Hey Penelope, I'm Zendaya." Unlike Derek, Zendaya loved kids. She always watched the younger kids around when their parents were out trying to find work. "Derek's gonna be your new friend huh?" Zendaya asked even though she knew the answer. "Bet you'll have loads of fun!" Zendaya may not like the program but she wasn't going to take it out on a cute little kid like Penelope.

A small, short lived pout made its way to Penelope's face. She wasn't done looking at Derek's eyes as he stood, but her attention was hooked on the new girl who was now talking. This was his friend? She stayed silent while they talked, studying her appearance. She looked like the rest of the people there, but from what Penelope could see, there weren't many holes in her clothing. She didn't understand Zendaya's humor. "I don't have friends," her statement almost sounded like a question. "But, Derek said if my parents hire him, we can play Hide and Seek later!"

Derek smiled softly at Penelope's innocence, speaking to Zendaya once more, "Yeah... I think this program might be good for me. I'm still a little nervous, though." He sighed and thought of the fact that if Penelope's parents actually took him in, the chances of him seeing anyone but Penelope were slight. He liked the girl, she was nice and innocent, and... Wow, he actually had positive thoughts forward a child? That's a first.

"I'm gonna miss you," Derek said softly with a grin. "You're like... My only friend, y'know that?"

"Hide and Seek is like, the best game ever. I'm the champ y'know." Zendaya said playfully. "And just between you and me...always check the curtains. Derek always hides there." Zendaya whispered to Penelope. The few times Zendaya had successfully roped Derek in to help her watch kids, they would play that game and he chose curtains, every time!
Zendaya smiled softly as the little girl before standing. "You act like you'll never see me again man. You know I have my ways." Zendaya winked with a laugh and gave Derek a hug. "I'm gonna miss you." She mumbled softly into his shoulder. Not that Zendaya would admit it out loud, she wasn't the type to express feelings often, he was her only friend and she would miss him like crazy.

Laughing as well, Derek wrapped his free arm around Zendaya and embraced the hug. Softly speaking as he held her, he could feel a soft blanket of sadness overcome him. "Sorry I didn't tell you I was coming here. We could've done something." As the two hugged, there was another person who entered the room, but from a door next to Laurel's.

They seemed to be a secretary to take place for Laurel, since she was busy. He was a tall, linky man with slick, black hair and dark brown eyes. With a stack of papers in his hand, he looked to the crowd of Poors. He didn't seem as mean as Laurel, but he did seem like he didn't want to be where he was. "Everyone, listen up! There are 6 families here looking for someone to take back to their home. I'm going to call some names and you're going to be interviewed... Starting off; James... Huh," the man paused to finish reading the not-so-good handwriting. "Merrick?" A normal-looking Poor stepped ahead with a smile and went into a directed room.

A feeling of both nervousness and excitement filled Derek's stomach. He was getting ready to go, but... He would miss Zendaya. If he didn't get accepted, he'd have to leave Penelope, and he was sure the little girl would hate that.

"Don't worry about it." Zendaya sighed as she wiggled out of the hug. She stood next to Derek and smiled down at Penelope. "Take care of him okay." Zendaya patted Penelope's head as son formal looking man came out. He was calling people for interviews now. Zendaya could feel her stomach tighten in knots. Derek was really going to do this. He was going to get hired and leave.
Zendaya could feel the lump in her throat, the burning like fire in her eyes but she wouldn't let it happen here. She was not crying here. "Good luck in there. I mean, she loves you already, how are they not gonna hire you?" Zendaya forced a smile as she encouraged her friend into something she hated. If it was anyone else she would fight tooth and claw and tell them how stupid they were being. But this was Derek and Zendaya couldn't find it in her. Not when he was working so hard to better himself and get out of here. Unlike herself. Zendaya wandered the streets. She got food anywhere she could find it, even if that meant having to steal. This counted for clothes as well. That was why her clothes now were hole free. She had only taken them a few weeks back. She refused to need anyone since her parents kicked her out.

Penelope grinned at the lady's words. The Hide and Seek champ? It must take them weeks to find her... Her attention drifted as the two talked, looking for places to hide in the large room even though they weren't playing. It was either that or begin reciting the alphabet in French while they waited, but she kept her ears open. Father said that's the best way to get the worst of a good person, though she didn't know how to keep her ears open nor did she want the worst of a good person. She compared it to candy in her mind. If you have good candy, why would you want to know the bad things about it? The pat to her head brought her out of her thoughts and she looked up at Zendaya. Take care of him? "I'll buy him shoes." She said proudly, though she didn't have money to do that. Her eyes flittered between the two. It would be sad not having a friend, wouldn't it be? That's what it says in all the movies and TV shows she got to watch when her parents weren't home. "Do you wanna come play with us?" Penelope reached with her free hand for Zendaya's as she spoke.

Derek nearly found himself shedding a few tears until Penelope spoke. He forced a soft smile and looked down to her. He wanted to tell her about Zendaya's position on the program, but he couldn't find himself to do it. In honesty, he wanted her to come with them too. Not only for Penelope, but for himself as well; he wanted her by his side. They were friends, after all. Glancing back up to Zendaya with watery, ice blue eyes, he asked with a cracked voice, "Yeah... You wanna tag along?" He couldn't believe that he was about to cry, especially in front of Zendaya. What losing a friend could do to a guy...

"You buy him shoes?" Zendaya flashed a smile. "Good and give him a bath. He stinks." Zendaya pushed away her sadder emotions as she bumped Derek with her hip. She smiled down at the young girl. She was absolutely adorable.
Zendaya's face fell when Penelope asked her to play. Of course Penelope didn't understand the legistics of what she said nor the ramifications of "playing." Zendaya sighed as she actually began contemplating the offer. She wouldn't have to lose her only friend, Penelope was sweet as pie, and she would get off the streets. She would never have to steal or be cold or feel burning hunger ever again. But would she really sacrifice her freedom? That was something that stopped Zendaya every time. She wouldn't be herself anymore. She would be Penelope's property.
"Honey I can't." Zendaya knelt back down and looked genuinely sad. "I can't come play..but!" She interjected before either child or boy could become too sad, "I could come visit and play hide and seek if you let me. We can be friends but I can't stay around all the time like Derek will. Is that okay with you?" There was slight hope lifting Zendaya's words as she smiled at the small child. She really liked Penelope and hoped she would go for it. Usually if you won over the child you could win over the parents in less than a heart beat.

Laughing softly at Zendaya's playful (yet true) comment about his smell, he stayed otherwise silent as he waited for her reply to the offer. Derek's heart dropped as he heard Zendaya's denial, yet he managed to hold back his tears. He smirked at her compromise she told to Penelope, mumbling just loud enough to the point where the other girl could hear him, "You always find a way to make things work, don't you?" It was true. Ever since they'd met, he always saw that Zendaya made ends meet, no matter what it took. There was a smile that cracked on Derek's face then; he would love to see her again... But the question was how long would it be?

Shoes and a bath. The latter wouldn't be so difficult, she could let him use her bubble bath stuff that smelled like lemons! Her hand pulled back a little as Zendaya knelt down. Why couldn't she come play too? She was the Hide and Seek champion wasn't she; why wouldn't she want to play all the time? The start of a frown pulled at the edges of her mouth. Penelope listened quietly to the proposition, her fingers tightening around Derek's hand. Usually she'd just nod if someone politely pushed aside her offer, but Zendaya said that she would be her friend. No one else ever did that. "You promise you'll come play with us?" The little girl stared at her as the frown shifted into a pout. You weren't allowed to break promises, so if she said yes it wouldn't leave Penelope worried about her new friend not coming in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
((Bad news everybody. Blue Jay (Laurel Owens in this RP) has had to resign. For the time being, I will take her place to get me back into the heart of this roleplay but if anyone wants to take her place or create a whole new secretary in charge of the center, shoot me a PM.))

Laurel stared at Ethan with an expression like she was gonna vomit just looking at him. "You need to know your place around here. I choose the rules. No matter how much commotion you make, the rules stay the same. So don't even try that move again, or you can expect to face prison."

Ethan gave Laurel the finger before stomping out of her office, slamming the door behind him in the process. He looked around before spotting Derek with the small girl he'd seen before and another girl that he hadn't seen before. The girl looked overly energetic whereas Derek and the other girl looked like they were close to tears.
He walked slowly up to them. "Derek, what's going on?" he said, a puzzled look painted across his face.

• Love
Reactions: k-michelle412
"I pinky promise." Zendaya said holding up her pinky. Interlocking it with Penelope's and the deal was sealed. Zendaya would miss Derek but at least she had a chance at seeing him now. Plus Penelope was easily becoming one of her favorite children she ever met.
Looking up, Zendaya saw a new face. She was pretty sure she'd seen him around a few times but never stopped to ever speak. That rarely happened here. The only person Zendaya ever spoke to was Derek. Her crystal blue eyes shifted between the boys as the newcomer asked what was going on. Zendaya shifted her gaze to Derek to see what he said.

"Oh, uh..." Derek stumbled on his words as he forced the tears away. Looking to Ethan, "I was uh... Saying goodbye to a friend of mine." Afterward, he looked down to Penelope, remembering to introduce her too. "And this is Penelope; I'm probably leaving with her when her parents find her..." Then he thought about what she had said when he asked where her parents were. "Wait a sec; why did you leave your parents, anyway?"

((We're gonna need more Riches lel. Anyone wanna introduce one? :) ))
"W-wait. You're going with... HER?" he cried, shaking his head in disbelief as he pointed at Penelope. He didn't like kids alot, he found them too clingy. "Dude, you gotta re-think this. It's shit enough serving a Rich family, let alone serving and being a 5 year old girl's toy." he whispered into Derek's ear. Perhaps Ethan was just jealous that Derek had found a home before him but he couldn't help feeling sorry for his friend. Staring at Zendaya, he found her kind-of cute as he smiled at her and nodded a greeting.

Penelope's face lit up as Zendaya's pinkie wrapped around hers. She really would come and play with them! Her head tilted back at the sound of another voice. Was this one of Derek's friends, too? He sure had a lot of them. The little girl waved when she was introduced, her eyes widening a bit from the question. She didn't want to get in trouble so she kept her mouth shut and watched the new stranger, cringing slightly from his tone. Did he not want her playing with his friend? She slowly lost her grasp on Derek's hand and took a step back. She was starting to feel bad about playing with Derek later if his friends didn't want him to go.