The Redwater Job

V

Vellum

Original poster
A bit of an interest check, a bit of a plotting thingy.

The village of Redwater is being plagued by horrible screaming in the woods at night and dead silence during the day. Even the birds have stopped chirping during the day. Children have gone missing from their beds, and the field hands are beginning to fear going out to harvest lest they be taken, too.

So they pooled all their resources, every bit of coin they had saved for dowries for their children and every bit they had saved for a pretty new dress for their wife. They put up a notice, asking any local Monster Hunters to come to their aid and put an end to whatever is in their forest.

Introducing our merry band of misfits numbering between five and ten characters. Their fighting styles range from melee to ranged and even magic. They're quite diverse, too! Humans, dwarves, and elves working altogether (because they are poor and desperately need the coin that the village is paying them).

The monster will likely draw from the real mythology and legends. If anyone has any ideas for a spooky monster that they'd like to see, I'm open to hear it!

The setting is typical high-fantasy European influences (wow how innovative) and medieval technology. Magics gonna be a pretty dangerous, powerful thing. So, naturally, people aren't gonna like our witches a whole bunch.

So, any takers?

I'd be into it, if you'll have me. c: Wendigo are always...fun...as spooky supernatural antagonists, but that mythology is from a very different area of the world than Europe, high fantasy or otherwise. d:

-expresses interest-

I might be interested. What posting speed did you have in mind?

I'd be into it, if you'll have me. c: Wendigo are always...fun...as spooky supernatural antagonists, but that mythology is from a very different area of the world than Europe, high fantasy or otherwise. d:
Of course! I'd be happy to have you around. I was thinking wendigos as well, although with slight changes. Maybe incorporating something to do with nature? Wendigos are primarily ice creatures (ice and cannibalism, naturally). So perhaps this also includes bits of the Huldra mythology?

I might be interested. What posting speed did you have in mind?
I'm not sure. Maybe once a week?

Of course! I'd be happy to have you around. I was thinking wendigos as well, although with slight changes. Maybe incorporating something to do with nature? Wendigos are primarily ice creatures (ice and cannibalism, naturally). So perhaps this also includes bits of the Huldra mythology?
So...a forest-dwelling cannibal that dons the guise of an attractive young person to lure people to their cave lair and eat them? That sounds awesome.

In slavic mythology we have these subterranean dwellers, I don't really know what a proper translation would sound like, but we call them the grey dwarves where I'm from. They come out after rain and during full moon and they look for lone travellers or young couples in the forest. They then either:

1) Sing their most enchanting of lullabies and when people come follow them, they take them to the Underworld and the people are never seen again.

2) Swarm the people and drag them underground by sheer force.

In either case, the common theme is, that even though they are small (think gnomes from pop culture) their strength is ten times that of a regular man. However, they only can access their super strength, if you fear them. When a person is unafraid, these creatures either just stray away from them, or are practically harmless, because they can't do anything. We even have a saying about it, that roughly goes like this: "If you get scared, stay away from the woods."

Not sure if useful for this particular RP, but since you asked for mythological monster ideas I thought I'd share it anyway.

Last edited:
In slavic mythology we have these subterranean dwellers, I don't really know what a proper translation would sound like, but we call them the grey dwarves where I'm from. They come out after rain and during full moon and they look for lone travellers or young couples in the forest. They then either:

1) Sing their most enchanting of lullabies and when people come follow them, they take them to the Underworld and the people are never seen again.

2) Swarm the people and drag them underground by sheer force.

In either case, the common theme is, that even though they are small (think gnomes from pop culture) their strength is ten times that of a regular man. However, they only can access their super strength, if you fear them. When a person is unafraid, these creatures either just stray away from them, or are practically harmless, because they can't do anything. We even have a saying about it, that roughly goes like this: "If you get scared, stay away from the woods."

Not sure if useful for this particular RP, but since you asked for mythological monster ideas I thought I'd share it anyway.

thats cool! I've not heard of those before. That's also kind of terrifying. I think we could probably use bits of that--maybe our forest dwelling cannibal that looks like a pretty person can only use their magic on people that are afraid of them?
Although, if someone's asexual, that might render our monster equally useless.

I'd be interested in joining. :) Might I throw in a suggestion for research around the Bean Nighe from Scottish folklore. Might make for a nice change from just straight up nasty monsters.

I'd be interested in joining. :) Might I throw in a suggestion for research around the Bean Nighe from Scottish folklore. Might make for a nice change from just straight up nasty monsters.

The Bean Nighe seems very similar to the Huldra and to the banshee. She's cool! I like that she can answer three questions, but only if you answer three in return. Seems like a useful trait.

Hey~hey^^!!

Boo likes this! But! would like to know if this is a Stats and dice rp? And are our charries kinda second rate or like reject/misfit heroes?

Interested! That's not my name, might as well be though!

And while I've got no ideas regarding monsters, I've got a weird one for my character. The idea randomly came to me just moments after reading your concept, but the character would be a walking red-topped mushroom that somehow gained sentience and calls itself "Hoodra" (Hoo-drah). While I haven't got the specifics down, as the idea just came into my head, I imagine the fellow might manipulate spores or something? Who knows, I think they might wield a spear in conjunction with this spore-magic though? What do you think? Would it be allowed?

This would kinda what they look like, for reference:

latest

And while I've got no ideas regarding monsters, I've got a weird one for my character. The idea randomly came to me just moments after reading your concept, but the character would be a walking red-topped mushroom that somehow gained sentience and calls itself "Hoodra" (Hoo-drah). While I haven't got the specifics down, as the idea just came into my head, I imagine the fellow might manipulate spores or something? Who knows, I think they might wield a spear in conjunction with this spore-magic though? What do you think? Would it be allowed?

latest

We need this character in the RP. NOW!

Hey~hey^^!!

Boo likes this! But! would like to know if this is a Stats and dice rp? And are our charries kinda second rate or like reject/misfit heroes?
It's not going to be a stats/dice RP probably, since I'm not actually sure how to run one of those. Our characters would be sort of second-rate. This is a relatively poor village who can't afford top-line, so they hired a group of lesser known 'professionals'.

latest
They remind me of the mushroom dudes from Dark Souls. Hella cute, but also kind of terrifying. I love 'im and require him in our RP. Especially with his adorable hat.

This is a good group. I think we can start with this, once I get a IC thread up and running. Is everyone still interested?

It's not going to be a stats/dice RP probably, since I'm not actually sure how to run one of those. Our characters would be sort of second-rate. This is a relatively poor village who can't afford top-line, so they hired a group of lesser known 'professionals'.

They remind me of the mushroom dudes from Dark Souls. Hella cute, but also kind of terrifying. I love 'im and require him in our RP. Especially with his adorable hat.

This is a good group. I think we can start with this, once I get a IC thread up and running. Is everyone still interested?

K let's do this! Yayuh^^

Hoodra: I wait. You write. I go then.

Yeah, I'm good to go.