The Red-Eyed Beast's Forest

A

Avilla

Original poster
The village has a legend; one that is everlasting, almost practiced as a religion. One about the forests which secluded it from the rest of the world. One of a beast, with red eyes, and the power to destroy anything it wanted. People often disappeared into the woods, never to return, and the beast was always blamed for the loss. No one leaves the town, for fear of this monster killing them. The stories of what happen to the people usually involve being ripped to shreds, claws raking across the humans like a tiger on a small rat. No one stands a chance of survival once it decides you are to be the next dinner.
However, yesterday the town suffered the loss of a young child. Everyone has become terrified, not knowing what to do. Some suggest moving the entire town somewhere else, some suggest offering up a sacrifice to the beast in order to keep the peace. They all have crowded around the Mayor, babbling nonsense and ideas that may solve the problem, though through their constant noise, not a single one can be made out clearly. Growing frustrated, the large old man rose a hand, shouting to signal them to be quiet.
"Silence! I cannot think straight with you all yammering in my face like this! One at a time! You!" He pointed to a villager, a young woman cradling a small baby in her arms.
"Mayor," She began, "There has to be a way to stop all of this, without these silly suggestions. We can't start sacrificing our own people just to satisfy the needs of a monster that may not even be real!"
The mayor gave her an annoyed look, crossing his arms, "Well, then, do you have an idea?"
"Yes. We need to send someone into the forest." The crowd burst into loud chatter at this idea, obviously not fond of it, so she raised her voice over theirs. "That person needs to find out if this creature is real! If it is, he must slay it, there is no other way!"
"No, he should bring the beast back here!" Shouted a rowdy looking male, who raised a fist. "Let US take care of that monster!" At this there was quite a decent amount of cheering. This guy seemed to be popular with the town.
"Oh, so you'll go find him then?" The Mayor inquired, raising an eyebrow at the man who seemed so sure f himself; but now he looked rather embarrassed, backing off.
"Er.. I would, but.. I.. have some errands to run at home.." He looked around at the crowd, hoping they would believe it.
"Well SOMEONE ought to be brave enough to go capture this thing!" Bellowed the mayor once more, waving an arm towards his citizens. "We simply cannot allow any more of us to be lost!"
"Maybe if.. there were a reward..?" A thin looking guy stepped forward now, raising a finger sheepishly.
"AH, yes, that's a great idea! Anyone who brings back this beast, alive, will receive the greatest wealth this town can manage! All agreed, say 'Aye!'"
"AYE!" The whole crowd spoke in unison, it seemed, for once all of them being on the same page.
"Good, now, which one of you will brave this task?" He roared once more, hoping for a response this time.

"I'll do it." Said a girl, raising a hand from the crowd, her face showing that she was really determined to do the dangerous task. Indeed, the beast was very terrifying from all the stories she heard about it and all of them were true due to the loss of a young child, it could really kill, but there was no need to be picky now, she was in need of money this time and by bringing this beast alive, she could get a reward from the mayor himself.

A soft voice was heard. "I think I have the capability to do it." He took out a Swiss Army knife and threw upwards and caught it neatly without a scratch. He wasn't thinking about the money, but more of how intersting it's going to be, killing a monster and bringing back it's head to the village.

The girl had been listening silently, hidden from view behind two particularly tall gentlemen. She had been busying herself picking their pockets, but at the mention of wealth she picked up her head and blinked. Cullan wasn't an idiot like the rest of the town. She didn't believe in ghosts or witches or monsters like the rest of the fools here, in this wrenched village. Scared of something they can't see? Almost as stupid as religion was. Her arms were crossed now, across her chest, the slightly lighter wallets of the two men now tucked safely back in their pockets.

"I'll go."

Finally, a way out of this rathole. She felt like she was slowly festering, her years stretched out before her eyes. She would find a small minded husband, have small minded children, then grow old and die before her children would do the same. All for what? Security? This was Cullan's chance to escape, and she was going to take it.

Reactions: 1 person
"Wonderful! We have a team!" The man clapped his hands together finally, nodding to the small group. He questioned weather the three youths would live to succeed in such a task, but out of sheer recklessness, he dashed the thought. After all, if they all died, it would satisfy the beast's hunger for a while, and keep it at bay. However the townsfolk didn't hide their dissatisfaction as well. A frustrated murmur took the group, one being heard over the rest.
"You seriously want to send two girls, and this kid in to kill a powerful monster? Are you crazy!?"
"This group is indeed young," Began the large leader, "but that also means they would be more agile, and they seem able enough. Of course if you want to go.."
"No!" He said rather quickly, before catching himself, "..Well.. I mean.. It's probably not even real, I'm sure they'll be fine, anyways.."
"You change your tune quickly!" He laughed, before turning back to the group, a pleased grin which exaggerated his chubby features, taking form. "Very well, you will make your way into the forest as soon as you are ready! Take your time to gather what you need, and be safe. All of you. It would indeed be a shame to lose you all."

He nodded curtly and quietly walked away, his mind already decided on what to bring for the trip. He went to his hideout, a small corner at the end of the alley, where strays live. He took his rucksack, full of food, mainly cat food, and a worn out teddy bear. He then whistled and out of the shadows came out a cat with a mix of orange an black fur.
He slung his bag on his shoulder before the cat jumped on his right shoulder.
"Good boy, Kuu." He gently whispered to the cat while stroking its head. He then went back to where everyone was, and waited.

Near the back of the crowd was a man that, for the day and age, was certainly past his prime, but the aura of youthfulness has yet to abandon him entirely, personified by the twinkle in his eyes and the relaxed expression he wore even in anger. The wizened man stepped forward with force when he saw these volunteers, the crowd parting with a fit at his approach, the fervorous waving of his hands threatening to land a storm of strikes on those who didn't get out of his way quickly enough. A firm, reprimanding look on his face hardened over the normally lax and calm one he showed outwardly to the public as he made his way to the Mayor in carefully concealed rage. After the final layer had allowed him past, he crossed his arms before speaking. "These children cannot, and WILL NOT, go alone. They couldn't possibly find edible plants safe to eat without assistance, much less build shelter, or know what plants have the properties to ward off infection or disease. I am no hunter, nor am I one of the few warriors this village has to offer, but I see neither of these groups leaping to the aid of these youth."

A man towards the back of the crowd had an evil grin on his face. More food for me! I'm starving he thought to himself. He popped his knuckles and rolled his neck. He laid back in a comfortable position and waited to see who else was going to be food. He liked his choices already. They looked rather tasty. Just by the sight of them made his mouth water. He licked his lips and smirked once more.

Shou muttered softly, but loudly enough for everyone to hear. "Why don't you come with us then, old man? Bet you could be of help." He stroked Kuu while looking at the old man straight on the eye. He knew the man was being sincere, but something in his heart made him felt a little skeptical about it.

Such weak willed men and woman, few did rise to the challenge. This world of light, void of heartless stone skies weakened those that inhabited it. For deep within the belly of the earth stood a world, void of the sun and its basking rays. Illuminated by a lush array of glowing fungi and faerie fire adorned stalagmites; a realm of swarthy shadows home to the vilest of beast. Riddled with death, conspiracy and betrayal, this realm of frigid shadows birthed the strongest this world had to offer. The Drow…

<o:p></o:p>

Dark skinned elves with crimson or amethyst irises, skin resilient to magic and an immunity system resilient to disease and toxin. Naturally in tune with the magic's of this world, masters of any weapon. They have conquered the most difficult clime, evoking fear in the lesser races who dare to call the Underdark their home.

Palithio stood amongst the crowd, blessed by Lolth their nefarious spider entity. His face obscured by an elegant mask, his long white dreadlocks dancing to the call of the wind. Casually he leaned against a nearby wall, defined arms nesting against his exposed chiseled chest.

The arches of his lips would contort, plastering a sly grin on his purple face. Those potent pools of amethyst darting across the mob of cowards. Who called on a hero to rise and deliver them from this evil? From this crowd of spineless kin a few voices did sound, few of which seemed even worthy to stain his blades with their crimson blood.

Oh how he wanted to put a knife into the back of this mayor. A leader who merited not his station, a being just as weak as the peasants he herded. Sadly the affairs of this world were not his concern, House Silvermoon-Third most powerful house in all the Underdark-did not send him to quarrel with such rothe.

Lifting himself from his rooted position, Palithio did weave himself in between the lot of surface worlders. His form adorned in his weapon master attire, leather strapping with spider webbing design clung to his chest, and his lower section bore the noble leggings of his house. Strapped to his hips could be found twin fanged blades, heavily enchanted so much so that the palms of those who held it tingled with its properties.

This red eyed beast sounded like a worthy foe, perhaps bearing alchemical ingredients of value to his house? And so from the mass of swine, a thunderous reply did sound. "I shall rise to the challenge." Though he used the word challenge loosely, a sign of the arrogance inherited within all Drow; though Palithio preferred to view it more so along the lines of confidence merited. For within his house and perhaps all the Underdark, few could dance so refined with their blades as he.

He would not grace these other thrill seekers with so much as a glance. Instead he'd make his way toward them in silence, sticking close to his reclusive rule of thumb. For it were these surface dwellers, that betrayed them long ago, casting his kind deep into a world of darkness and stone. Depriving them of this sun and near limitless cerulean skies.

An aura of mystery floated about him, insipid as it was alluring. In time he may converse with a few members of this party, but at the moment he preferred to remain silent and listen. Occasionally watching his own back, but not long enough to expose his front, less he should face death from the front. For even in this world of light, the old Drow proverb rang true. The most dangerous knife of all is the unseen one.

Palithio waited not for the approval of the Mayor, nor would he linger for the idle spewing of the others. Who no doubt would pointless ask his name, as if his title, station and house meant anything to them. In truth the gap between these surface worlders and this Drow, was greater than that gap between heaven and hell.

The rough-hewn man strode down the dirt pathway, following the smoke he saw rising in the distance. It had been almost four full days since the explosion that had separated him from his companions; four days without food, sleep, or water, excepting the small brook he had passed yesterday. The man did not seem to suffer from the lack, however, hard-angled muscles working like a machine to propel him ever closer to the smoke that heralded rest and food. The town came into view as he topped the hill, finally letting a sigh of relief slip through the bandages that covered his head like a mask. He soon regretted his moment of relaxation as the wind shifted the smoke toward him, sending his stomach into a series of painful growls. Even a monk has to eat sometime.

The man was getting hungry...starving actually. He was eying the crowd with a hungered look, swallowing everyone once and a while. He didn't think it would be the best idea to just break out and eat everyone now...that would be no fun. He then felt the bones in his hand start to configure. He was starting to turn back into his true self. He had to get out and fast, with out making any commotion. He stuck his right hand in his pocket feeling it configuring more and more, the same happened to his left hand. Hair started to grow up his arm, and at that moment he got up quickly and rushed out in a fast walk. As he walked out the door he started to breathe heavily, his eye color changing to red after blinking a few times, his teeth turning into fangs, a series of fangs. He dropped to the ground as chest started to configure in a weird fashion, his stomach and chest being separated by a series of muscles. His skin started to turn into a dark blue color. He ran on all fours towards the forest as fast as he could before any village people caught him. As night started to kick in he felt his full form taking over. Fur running up and down his body. He became a huge beast. He roared into the night so loud that he was pretty sure the whole world could here. He climbed a tree and stayed there until he saw a victim.

Raikar was just reaching the edge of the village when a crashing noise filled the night, piercing as the howl of a wolf, but deep as the cry of an angry bear. He immediately dropped into a crouch, desperately trying to clear the ringing from his ears. Assuming a loose combat stance, the martial artist closed his eyes and focused, trying pinpoint from which direction the cacophony had originated. After long moments, he opened the grey orbs once again. The sound had come from beyond the far side of the village, out in the forest that lay behind it. Shaking of a tension that he hadn't noticed at first, the rugged warrior continued forward. The monks would have scolded him for allowing some monster's roar to startle him; he had faced entire wolf-packs without panicking. He had run away, of course, but he had never panicked.

Shou muttered softly, but loudly enough for everyone to hear. "Why don't you come with us then, old man? Bet you could be of help." He stroked Kuu while looking at the old man straight on the eye. He knew the man was being sincere, but something in his heart made him felt a little skeptical about it.
He blinks in surprise, having not thought of it like that, the wind blowing through his thin gossamer-like hair. "If this lot can produce no more than cowards who wouldn't dare volunteer for fear of their life or shifty scoundrels I wouldn't trust around you children alone, then I have no other choice than to accompany you." He unfurls his arms, and walks back through the crowd. "Allow me a moment to gather my things and don my traveling cloak." And he vanishes into a derelict hut for a moment, then re-emerges, wearing sturdier and plainer clothing, with two thick tomes tucked away in a satchel at his side. "I am ready."

Should stole a glance at the old man, before getting his back off the wall and striding towards the man. "Let's go then." He simply replied, voice quiet, but clear as crystal. He walked out if the village, one hand wielding his knife, the other, his bag.

Should stole a glance at the old man, before getting his back off the wall and striding towards the man. "Let's go then." He simply replied, voice quiet, but clear as crystal. He walked out if the village, one hand wielding his knife, the other, his bag.
The old man, bent with age, walked alongside the young boy, feeling the toll of the rocky road on his worn wooden sandals, but ignoring the occasional pain. His attempts of talking to his apparent companion were quiet and short lived, commenting on what leaves to look out for in the wild, and some of the herbs useful for healing when used properly. Walking past a rather isolated tree next to the path the two were taking, he stopped, and outstretched his bony fingers to reach for a loose, firm looking branch that would serve well to be described as a shaft of wood. He tested it's course bark between his fingers, then pressed it firmly against the ground, grunting in self appraisal when it didn't break from bearing his weight on it. He took a few cautious steps, using this branch as a slight cross between a cane and a hiking stick.

Shou glanced at the old man periodically, seeing if he's well or not injured or anything. The man seemed very knowledgeable about different types of herbs, and Shou was grateful for it.
When the man tries to talk to him though, it made Shou not feel like talking. He wasn't much of a speaker to begin with, all his emotions and what he really feels deep inside his heart, not letting it go or anything. It saved him from feeling much of anything anyway.
However, the old man haven't told him his name. Yet. Shou turned to the old man. "So, what's your name, uncle?" He asked, softly,while stroking his pet cat which was resting on his shoulder.

Shou glanced at the old man periodically, seeing if he's well or not injured or anything. The man seemed very knowledgeable about different types of herbs, and Shou was grateful for it.
When the man tries to talk to him though, it made Shou not feel like talking. He wasn't much of a speaker to begin with, all his emotions and what he really feels deep inside his heart, not letting it go or anything. It saved him from feeling much of anything anyway.
However, the old man haven't told him his name. Yet. Shou turned to the old man. "So, what's your name, uncle?" He asked, softly,while stroking his pet cat which was resting on his shoulder.
The old man took this question in stride, having expected it for quite some time. "My name is not important, and you will forget it soon enough if I fall on the trail to this beast." He looks cautiously towards the setting sun, and looks back at his traveling partner. "I believe now is as good a time as any to fortify against the elements this land can summon." The forest looms ahead on the horizon, not a fifteen minutes further on foot, appearing to provide ample cover in comparison to any tent this man could have fit in his pack, but also whispering of danger and uncertainty for those who took the risk to rest within. "You could earn my name, if you wished, by showing you won't forget me nor my teachings all too quickly in my absence."