The Rating System

Do you like the rating system?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, I take those ratings at face value. They're almost worse than an "I disagree" button because you can disagree with a well-written post. 'WTF Did I just read' and 'Go home, you're drunk' are completely dismissing the post's content, and because of that only have very limited uses.
I can admit to feeling the same, actually. It's why I kind of freaked out the couple of times I gave an accidental drunk rating and WTF ratings. T.T

Reactions: Hana and Vardoger
I like the ratings, especially so now that the negative ones are done with. When I first joined Iwaku I was a bit iffy on using them, however. Mostly because I didn't want people to think that I like them less for not rating them a 'love' while I do so with others. Or that they would come and question me why I rated 'Buckets of Rainbow' and so on. Didn't help that there were people who really did make a witch-hunt out of it. I don't give them a hierarchy anymore of what means what, because that was just frustrating for me and for others.

Nowadays I just rate what I feel like for a post. I don't think so much about what to rate and just rate.

I like the 'Rainbow' rating the best. Just so that I can say: 'I'm totally gay over your post' because 'gay' has multiple meanings. XD Though, lately I have been giving a lot more likes and loves as well.

Ratings are mostly positive coming from me. I tend to avoid neutral ones because they can get misinterpreted. For instance, my "hugs" are genuinely meant to be sympathetic, but I hardly use them because people might find them patronizing.

Like and love are my top two most used ratings. Bucket of rainbows is more for when I find a post optimistic or interesting. Nice Execution! is mainly for jokes or a really well-written post.

That said, I like ratings. It lets people know I've enjoyed what they've written. And vice versa. :D

• Thank You
Reactions: Greenie
For the poll, you missed the chance to write the ratings as poll options.

I like most of them, I don't really use the "WTF-" , "You're drunk" or the "Cat like typing" reactions at all. They're much too...I dunno, negatively slanted I guess. I just generally dislike those.

Though I do do enjoy the others a lot.

• Thank You
I don't know if it's been brought up, but I really wish we had a rating for when something is humourous. I mean 'Nice Execution' kinda works, but it's vague.

I don't know if it's been brought up, but I really wish we had a rating for when something is humourous. I mean 'Nice Execution' kinda works, but it's vague.
Oh yeah, I agree with this completely!

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
I've had conversations about what the less obvious ratings mean and people have different opinions about what they represent. Therefore, if I could wave a magic wand and change a few, I would do so.

I know some consider the "cookie" as condescending.

Same with the hug - but I think that could be fixed with a nicer icon - something warmer and fuzzier. I definitely want to keep the hug in play, though.

I've been told bucket of rainbows have different meanings to various folk, so now I may ask the giver about it (if I'm doing a writing exercise, for example, and get it for the first time from the moderator).

So, I generally don't use it myself so as to avoid any misunderstanding.

I think the more negative ratings could be retooled. I feel there is too much incentive for people to think, yeah this is funny! I'll give this rating! And maybe that's cool among friends. But not worth having if it trickles over to other situations where the use becomes iffy.

No quibble with the basics: Like, Love, Useful, Thank You.

I'm weird (fully acknowledged) but I would like to see some ratings possible that are not as squishy as "like" and "love"-- especially when posting reactions to story writing or just slice of life chatting.

I.e., something more neutral, but that says "hey, I read your post with interest." Maybe I didn't like the subject matter (death and destruction). Or I hate stories about happy little children. But I want to ping you in a positive way that's not gushy, mean or false, acknowledging your contribution.

Some possibilities:

"Interesting"
"Intriguing"
"Food for Thought"
"Point Well Made"
"Angels Sing"

Whatever! :duck:

Interesting post, @Ravenfrost , you made some good points!

One of the reasons I made this thread was to also get a general feel of how members feel about ratings, basically so that unless we're super mean folks (:'D) we try to send out positive vibes. Hey, the real world is tedious enough! That's also why I kept the poll results public as well, so that people can take each others' opinions in consideration. For example, I remember a good few months ago a member mentioned they didn't like the rainbow rating, so since then I was careful not to rate their posts with it.

Oh, and just to clarify! I can totally get friends giving each other negative ratings (like drunk for example) to have fun or playfully troll each other.

I was thinking about something. Have you ever made a post like "I'm not feeling too well." something of that nature or something else only to have someone like that post? I remember seeing on another site once someone expressed their grief of losing a loved one only to have several people like the post o.O
With that, I would feel very confused of such a rating.

I was thinking about something. Have you ever made a post like "I'm not feeling too well." something of that nature or something else only to have someone like that post? I remember seeing on another site once someone expressed their grief of losing a loved one only to have several people like the post o.O
I am reckoning that it's probably used as a 'I've taken note and read your post and have you in my mind'.

But I can understand your confusion, lol. That's why I like the 'you need a hug' rating over here.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 person
I am reckoning that it's probably used as a 'I've taken note and read your post and have you in my mind'.

But I can understand your confusion, lol. That's why I like the 'you need a hug' rating over here.

I've always wondered about it, I know some might take it the wrong way unfortunately. In that case I think I'd message the person instead, but you're right having the 'you need a hug' rating helps a lot.

• Bucket of Rainbows
Yeah, I talked about that being an issue on other sites when there's no rating that easily communicates the "I feel for you" sentiment -- and the best thing you have is a like button, which makes you worried that you sound like you're enjoying their misery. o_o"

That's why I like the "you need a hug" rating, because it's perfect for filling that niche. :P

I give ratings all the time >:]

Someone who rates my post tells me that they're read it and enjoyed it in some way, and it makes me feel special :D

I really like having the rating system. It allows me to be lazy and note that I've seen a post while also giving some form of nuanced feedback. I am also fond of using the ratings in snarky ways, like giving people useful and cookie ratings for being dumb. Having passive ways to snark like that is a good thing for the community because it prevents fights that would otherwise likely come about from someone writing a more detailed response to things they aren't fond of.

My favorite rating is the nice execution one. I like to give it for a lot of reasons: posts in serious discussion threads that make good points, joking posts that make me laugh, guides and such in the Content sections that are good but don't feel quite right to get a useful rating, a goofy gif that was posted with amusing context or timing, etc. Anything that I deem to be a well made post can get a nice execution rating. :D

I'm horrible with rating people. It's not that I don't like to, I usually just forget.

• Bucket of Rainbows
I guess some people get confused by my "buckets of rainbows". I use it kind of like "yay!" or "that's great!". I worry sometimes that people will interpret the ratings as passive aggressive but I try, partially through sheer volume and context, to overcome those interpretations. My hugs are genuine!

I often use the Bucket of Rainbows quite often because I am afraid of members in my RP getting jealous if I Like someone's post or Love it. Like I am giving the other person too much attention. So instead everyone gets a god damn rainbow and they are going to god damn like it.

lol

I useful when something is generally useful

thank when I want to thank someone

I have used the WTF did I just read, but more like SHOCK. Then negative. As a joke for a friend, that I instantly took back after we had a laugh

I mean, I'm pretty sure there's a reason why negative ratings don't exist. Hell, I remember there were ratings that were straight up removed too :c

Anyway, ratings are awesome. I find myself sending a lot of hugs and axes tho

• Thank You
Status
Not open for further replies.