5. Advanced
  6. Adaptable
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Supernatural, Horror
Ratings! I for one tend to use them all the time. It's not really due to laziness (oh, okay, sometimes), but to show appreciation for someone else's post. Or disapproval, in other cases. o.o' Though I tend to not use those much, if at all.

What about you all? What do you think about the rating system in general? Do you often use it? Which rating would you say you use the most?

Do you find it's rather lazy and one should use their words instead? What about when you're rated, do you like it, maybe feel fuzzy inside?

Or does it fill you with annoyance and make you upset? o_o

I like it better now that there's no negative votes.

Even though sometimes I would really like to give someone a negative vote.

But 'you deserve a hug' has kind of served that purpose well, I guess. Or 'wtf did I just read'.

• Thank You
Reactions: Greenie
I like it. I will admit, I do like the ratings of my posts. It means that not only did someone read it, they liked what I said and the same could be said about me to them when I send a rating.

'you deserve a hug'
I always use that as a positive-ish rating myself O.O' I hope no one thought I was doing the opposite!

Reactions: Kitti
I always use that as a positive-ish rating myself O.O' I hope no one thought I was doing the opposite!
I think it's pretty obvious when it's genuine and when it's being used passive-aggressively, so don't worry! I use it as a positive (or at least, genuine) rating too.

I think it's pretty obvious when it's genuine and when it's being used passive-aggressively, so don't worry! I use it as a positive (or at least, genuine) rating too.
Yeah that is true as well ^_^'

It's nice to see people leave ratings on posts. I don't often give ratings myself simply because I forget, but from time to time, it's an easy way to let someone know you like or otherwise enjoyed their post, without making a whole new post to compliment them on their insight.

It's even better now that they've gotten rid of the negative ratings. If someone didn't like something you posted, you're getting a negative rating regardless of how the rest of the thread responded. That had potential to stigmatize members of the community, simply because one kid got a little uppity over a forum post.

I still see "Go home you're drunk" and "Cat-like typing detected" abuse from time to time. No system is perfect, I guess. But otherwise, yeah, I like it.

• Thank You
Overall it's a good system and pretty "colorful". I don't like the "neutral" ratings though, if you have a problem or disagree with my post I'd like to know why and if I went wrong. Positive ratings are effective in its use because we probably don't need to see several posts replying with "I agree".

I like the variety. Most of them seem like they're essentially just "like" buttons but with a slightly different tone. "Love", "thank", and "useful" are all pretty self-explanatory in that regard. "Bucket of rainbows" is... I dunno how to explain it, but there's just a certain other meaning that it carries in addition to being a like button. Same goes for "you get a cookie". "Go home you're drunk" is good for when someone's being dumb but entertaining, or just making shitposts. "Nice execution" in particular is a fun rating to give out whenever someone makes jokes about killing someone.

"You need a hug" is probably the most useful rating in terms of the unique role that it fills. It's a quick and easy way to show sympathy for someone, even if you can't think of anything to say. It makes me think of the issue that apparently a lot of people run into on Tumblr where you see your friend venting about shitty stuff happening in their life, and you kind of want to give that post a "like" just as a quick "hey, I'm here for you" message -- but because it's just an all-purpose like button, there's also the fear that it'll just sound like you're laughing at their misery... "You need a hug" clears up any potential ambiguity in that regard. XD

"WTF did I just read" and "Cat-like typing detected" are probably the two ratings that I get the least use out of. I guess because I'm just too... nice? I rarely encounter posts that would be worthy of a cat-like typing rating, and even when I do, actually using it just feels rude. "WTF did I just read" is usually reserved for those reeeeaaally out there shitposts where I have no idea what the fuck is happening.

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts is people using the "WTF did I just read" and "go home you're drunk" ratings in serious debate threads and the like. That's like... that's worse than disagreeing with someone's argument. That's like saying it's complete garbage and you have no idea what they're babbling on about. Like, it doesn't even deserve a reply, because it's plainly obvious that you're just some rambling idiot. It almost feels kind of inflammatory, and I just don't want to be that person.

Overall, though, I like the ratings. Not all of them really have a specific purpose, but they don't really need to have one. They're just... fun. And as for the ratings that do have a particular purpose? Well, I really do find them quite useful. XD

I should add, the rainbow rating is my favorite lol, so thanks @Poe Dameron .

And the rest of y'all. ^_^ *giddy*

I like it. Let's me know that people are listening or interested in the same things I am.

• Thank You
I enjoy it when I can c: It's nice letting someone know through ratings if you enjoyed the writing they've done or think they did a spectacular job writing some kind of resource or lesson. I still think there should be an "LOL" rating around here somewhere.

I like it. Let's me know that people are listening or interested in the same things I am.
That is so true!

Although I admit when I first arrived at GC and went wild with rating posts, I did wonder if people thought I was creepy or a stalker. ^_^'
I still think there should be an "LOL" rating around here somewhere.
Bucket of Laughs? :D

Bucket of Tears?

Like, love, thank, useful, and nice execution are the only ratings I like. I have no idea what 'bucket of rainbows' is supposed to mean, 'you get a cookie' doesn't make sense, I guess 'you need a hug' is ok, but the icon just looks like a cat freaking out. Maybe if the wording was changed to 'gives you a hug' or 'hugs' it might be better. The other ratings could be replaced with a 'dislike' button and probably be more useful.

• Thank You
Like, love, thank, useful, and nice execution are the only ratings I like. I have no idea what 'bucket of rainbows' is supposed to mean, 'you get a cookie' doesn't make sense, I guess 'you need a hug' is ok, but the icon just looks like a cat freaking out. Maybe if the wording was changed to 'gives you a hug' or 'hugs' it might be better. The other ratings could be replaced with a 'dislike' button and probably be more useful.
I always use bucket of rainbows when I want someone to know I think they and their post are awesome. But that's just me. ^_^ Cookies are my neutral rating, or when I feel playful.

Apparently, the 'you need a hug' icon is a facehugger from Alien? That's what I was told a month ago anyway.

• Thank You
Reactions: Vars
You Need a Hug is strange in that it's supposed to be a sympathetic rating, not in any way negative if we're looking at it. I think people mistake it from time to time as a way to troll other members, but I really think that the best way to use it is to express sympathy. Use of it in any other way just feels... Patronizing, and that's not at all a good feeling.

We don't have negative ratings anymore, but if there are posts that are that disagreeable, there are more appropriate ratings out there like "WTF Did I Just Read" and "Go Home, You're Drunk". Yet at the same time, one shouldn't abuse those ratings.

You Get A Cookie is another rating that most people have mixed uses for, and I admit that I sometimes give it when I disagree with, but find a post amusing. Or I give it when it just amuses me.

I guess that's why I really prefer sticking to the like ratings, lol.

• Love
Reactions: Kitti and Greenie
I'll admit I give the 'useful' rating as a joke sometimes. ^_^

• Useful
Reactions: Gwazi Magnum
We don't have negative ratings anymore, but if there are posts that are that disagreeable, there are more appropriate ratings out there like "WTF Did I Just Read" and "Go Home, You're Drunk". Yet at the same time, one shouldn't abuse those ratings.
To me, I take those ratings at face value. They're almost worse than an "I disagree" button because you can disagree with a well-written post. 'WTF Did I just read' and 'Go home, you're drunk' are completely dismissing the post's content, and because of that only have very limited uses.

I almost exclusively use the positive ratings.
I use them pretty often, but I like giving people the "I saw you, I see that you contributed, I appreciate your input" kind of feelings. I know that I feel happy seeing that someone liked my things and all that.

I guess some people get confused by my "buckets of rainbows". I use it kind of like "yay!" or "that's great!". I worry sometimes that people will interpret the ratings as passive aggressive but I try, partially through sheer volume and context, to overcome those interpretations. My hugs are genuine!

Status
Not open for further replies.