The Quest is BACK ON! DisreputableCharles and Hikaruchan

He sighed, knowing that Shane was not going to get over her anger anytime soon, but still, his concern didn't waver.
Riker place a hand on her shoulder.
"What did you go and do that for?"

Though she probably knew what made her so angry, Shane dared not tell him outright. Instead she responded with only a shrug that shook his hand away from her, then continued walking, calling without turning back,
"Didn't I tell you to go away?"​

Gods, if she only knew why he couldn't just turn away? Well, most likely she had, Riker knew he hadn't done a very good job about being discreet with his feelings. Especially when it concerned her safety.
He stood in place, looking down at the ground. In a near whisper he spoke.
"Don't you know by now that I can't?"

The sudden quietness of his voice did, in truth, surprise her. There had been much fighting, much silence, and much mental unease over the past weeks, but...was this to happen now? Shane paused and turned her head slightly, uttering one quiet inquiry.
"...What did you say?"​

Was this it? Was he to tell her now why his very soul ached every time she turned away from him?
"I promised I'd protect you, didn't I? Back in Da'Tak." he took a deep breath, "And I didn't just mean it from swords and gashes and imbeciles, Shane, I..."
This was going to be a more difficult thing than he expected.
"You want to have this...shield up, so everyone thinks you're this almighty, detached, courageous person, and you are, but..You don't always have to keep up the wall , alright? And these past few days...So I can't go."
And here it was.
"Because I...I can't let you walk around with some burden on your shoulder."
And the sudden ephipany came, he knew that he ruined the perfect moment to tell her everything.

Shane furrowed her brow, now turning to face him fully. Though she somewhat appreciated his concern, albeit subconsciously, she was always wary of any remark regarding "burdens" that she might be carrying. The hint of her own weakness struck a nerve, and her short temper rose again.
"That should be no problem, then, should it?" Shane rolled her eyes. "If you just plan to take everything on yourself---"​

He pushed his hand through his hair, "Gods, please tell me were not doing this again."
"What?" Her brows were still knit, an expression of slight annoyance on her face.
"You do this, whenever I try to help you, because believe it or not Shane, I do want to help you, alright? But you seem to be under the impression that it's idiotic and I'm arrogant and all I do is, what was it? Oh, commit 'Grand displays of Stupidity!'"
He sighed, agitated, "I mean, what was that fight at the inn about? And then that..."
RIker stopped in his tracks, the very thought of what had occurred after their dispute slowing down his infuriated monolouge.
"And then you go and...do that. Just-just tell me why, Shane. Please."

"Oh Gods..." Closing her eyes, Shane then covered them with her left hand and sighed heavily. "I can't, just...Riker, I can't." It was the first time she had spoken his name---directly to him, anyway---since...well... "Don't ask for an explanation," she said, moving suddenly towards him, "when I don't have one." There were clearly inquiries that she had left unanswered, but they were something she couldn't tell him. Not now. Instead Shane put her hands on his shoulders and kissed him, an action that was driven more by impulse than thought.​

Understandably, Riker wasn't resisting. He had missed her, this had been the longest conversation they had in weeks and then this...
He held her closer and it felt...good. Confusing, and he might even regret it after if it ended like before. But he didn't want to focus on anything besides that moment. All the complicated things he was apprehensive about, well, Riker couldn't care less.
Even if she hadn't said anything. It wasn't as if he had either, so they were equal. Whatever he would have to face, it could wait.
Because, well....he was with Shane and nothing else mattered.

"I'm sorry," Shane said, somewhat breathless as she pulled away briefly, "but you'll have to wait..." There could be no speech; though she was confident that he would not make any more requests of her, Shane didn't want to make words an option. She kissed him again, moving closer, trying to make herself forget what other thoughts infected her mind. There was only warmth, and breath, and the knowledge that there was one person who would not judge her.​

"I can't say I mind." he said in between breaths. Riker was happy. More than happy, just jubilant. He was holding Shane, he was kissing Shane, he was in utter complete love with Shane.
And it was fantastic.

A slight smile graced her face as Shane met his lips one final time. As she pulled away, his gaze made her feel uncomfortably under observation, and so she granted him a kiss on the cheek and slipped away, her mysterious aura returning. Riker's eyes seemed to ask a question of her, and so she responded by putting a finger to her lips and saying,
"Don't tell the others. Please?"​

He nodded, still under the trance of what occurred, "I won't."
It was like being drunk except without the alcholic tone to his breath. Shane could probably weasel anything out of him at the moment.
A few moments after she had strode away, Riker shook himself out of it. It probably wouldn't help the matter if he was to walk up to Miyoko and Soren with a great big grin on his face.

"I suppose, then," said Soren, standing up and offering Miyoko a hand, "we should see what our foolish companions have gotten themselves into, eh?" After helping her up he began the walk back to their temporary lodging, his stride with the sort of uncanny grace that was common for an Immortal.

With a lightened load in her heart, Shane walked away from Riker, nearly having forgotten the issue with the Healer. When it did come to her mind, however, she supposed that they'd be departing soon anyway. And after all, a pitiful human such as Lydia was no threat to her. Still, the thought of that girl's accusation against her stung slightly, so that Shane had to remind herself that Riker was different. At least to her.​

Riker rubbed his right eye as he walked back towards the encampment. At the sight of the immortal and aquarian, he supposed it would be best to avoid them at the moment. However, Miyoko had spotted him and as such, called out. He rolled his eyes and made his way toward them.
"Hmm...you look different." she said, scrutiny in her eyes/
He raised an eyebrow, "In what way?"
Miyoko put a finger to her chin in thought until her eyes lit up with a relization.
"Soren, look at him, he's stopped brooding. So did you and Shane go and make up then?"

"Erm, yeah. We can tolerate each other again, so it's all good." There was something in his tone of voice that made it seem like he was resisiting the question.
"So," she grinned, finally happy to end the chain of uneventfulness, "What happened? Did you kiss her?"
He coughed as though he was choking, "Oh, gods, no, no, erm, we just talked. Just a lot of talking and uh, talking. All talk, basically."

Rolling his eyes, Soren said,
"Now now, let's not tease the boy." He smiled slightly to himself and added, "Though it would appear that there are no more worries concerning the Elf." Pushing back his cloak, Soren then asked, "So, how are you feeling?" The Immortal raised an eyebrow. "Well enough to leave?"

(Assume that Shane is wandering about; I have nothing to write for her.)​

He nodded, "I assume the faster we leave, the better as well."

The sudden development of the situation made Miyoko quite pleased, finally they could move forward. That those two could finally get past the awkward silence that had plagued them as of recent.
"Well, then, shall I go get Shane?"

"Yes, it seems that'd be prudent." Soren nodded towards Miyoko. As the Aquarian left, he looked back at Riker with eyebrows raised, though he knew that the boy would be embarrassed about whatever had happened. Still, he was not one to press the issue when it was not absolutely necessary, and so he nodded towards the building and said, "Shall we get your things?"

Nothing could be hidden from the ears of an Elf; as soft footsteps echoed behind her, Shane responded without even turning around.
"Hello, Miyoko." It was only then that the Elf turned to face her comrade and asked, "Time to be heading back, I suppose?"

"Mhmm." Miyoko stood on her toes, trying to survey the slightest ounce of emotion from the elf's visage. But it seemed as though there was little change.
With a curt nod, Shane turned to go gather her things. She squinted, trying to think of a way she could gain some reaction.
"Erm...Shane, you....you and Riker resolved your issues I hear?"

Riker followed Soren back towards the main part of the outpost, the few long shadows that followed them came through the candlelight from the tavern. He was...complacent. Happy with the fact that now he could look Shane in the eye for more than an instant, but still...
Would she ever actually explain?

Upon those words Shane froze, innumerable thoughts all colliding at once in her mind. Had Riker said something? No, she trusted him not to have. Still, he was rather terrible at hiding things...it had most likely been easy to tell just from his expression. She shook her head, What am I going to do with you?
"One could say that." Shane, on the other hand, was a master of keeping her face impassive. She didn't regret what she had done...she just wasn't prepared to tell everyone and anyone.​