The Pyramid of Jokes and Crowns

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, that's not what OCD is, that's what people think it is. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (it's kinda in the name). NOTE I am not an authority on it, but I'm fascinated by mental illness so I try to understand it as best I can.

Basically, everyone gets passive and intrusive thoughts. A passive thought it something like you thinking "Did I remember to turn off the bathroom light?". An intrusive thought is "You forgot to turn off the bathroom light. You need to go back and turn it off." More like a command than a question. Normally, people can simply dismiss a passive or intrusive thought. People with OCD on the other hand, have one intrusive thought that they simply can't get rid of, and it's the same one every time. I know it sounds silly, but one of the ones on a documentary I watched was a girl whose brain kept telling her "You put that person in a bin." She'd have to stop nearly everyone she met on the street and apologise for putting them in a bin, even though she didn't actually put them in a bin. Another was a man who couldn't close a drawer normally. He couldn't leave until the drawer closing had fulfilled certain conditions. First, the number at which the draw closed had to be a multiple of three, so he couldn't close it the first time, he had to close it on the 3rd or 6th or 27th time. Also, the closing had to have a satisfying sound. If it sounded slightly wrong, he had to close it another 3 times until it closed on a 3rd time and made a satisfying noise. OCD is A LOT worse than simply appreciating everything being in order.

No, that's not what OCD is, that's what people think it is. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (it's kinda in the name). NOTE I am not an authority on it, but I'm fascinated by mental illness so I try to understand it as best I can.

Basically, everyone gets passive and intrusive thoughts. A passive thought it something like you thinking "Did I remember to turn off the bathroom light?". An intrusive thought is "You forgot to turn off the bathroom light. You need to go back and turn it off." More like a command than a question. Normally, people can simply dismiss a passive or intrusive thought. People with OCD on the other hand, have one intrusive thought that they simply can't get rid of, and it's the same one every time. I know it sounds silly, but one of the ones on a documentary I watched was a girl whose brain kept telling her "You put that person in a bin." She'd have to stop nearly everyone she met on the street and apologise for putting them in a bin, even though she didn't actually put them in a bin. Another was a man who couldn't close a drawer normally. He couldn't leave until the drawer closing had fulfilled certain conditions. First, the number at which the draw closed had to be a multiple of three, so he couldn't close it the first time, he had to close it on the 3rd or 6th or 27th time. Also, the closing had to have a satisfying sound. If it sounded slightly wrong, he had to close it another 3 times until it closed on a 3rd time and made a satisfying noise. OCD is A LOT worse than simply appreciating everything being in order.
It doesn't sound crazy at all =D I know plenty about the brain's wiring, as well as how genes can really play bad tricks on you, so it's perfectly logical for some people to have such compulsive thoughts. Also, if you were to note the video's description, which I quoted, the song is actually making fun of all the people, who think they know what OCD is XD The real discussion is in the other video.

Exactly as @Yokai says, I'll be rolling dice to determine who gets which rank =3 In this way the roles will be distributed fair and square.

Thus far we have seven certain players, four boys and three girls, four 17-year-olds and three 16-year-olds. With the three of you, Poly, Yokai and Vio, we have ten possible players, if you will be players in the game, of course. We need twelve players though, so spread the word, if you like, to any prospectus users =3

I'm happy you weren't frightened off. =3
Does that mean I am the only 20 year old? xD

Also I've been spreading it around. I had one person say they were interested but doesnt have the time to put the effort into it. My baby and little angel Gladis said she used to belong to this rp, however i am not sure if she is staying. I think my Husbandu Doomy will join though :3

Mental illness isn't genetic. Your genes can improve your chances of getting one, but its 99% environmental. And you know what that means? Abuse a child too much and you can give it all kinds of fascinating problems!

Alright, my character is finished (end of page 3). Also, Headphone's character is pretty much exactly the kind of person I can't stand :D

Mental illness isn't genetic. Your genes can improve your chances of getting one, but its 99% environmental. And you know what that means? Abuse a child too much and you can give it all kinds of fascinating problems!
Actually I believe it is situational as well. A mother birthing at 50 have a higher chance of producing a child with complications. Same with mothers who drink and do drugs during pregnancy.

The article I just read on them says that they are biological diseases. - w -

I dunno.

"Although the exact cause of most mental illnesses is not known, it is becoming clear through research that many of these conditions are caused by a combination of genetic, biological, psychological, and environmental factors -- not personal weakness or a character defect -- and recovery from a mental illness is not simply a matter of will and self-discipline."

THERE WE GO xD

I have a question. What is the boy/girl ratio in the rp thus far?

edit: Nevermind, found it at the first page.

wish I knew on the MIA and pending characters though before I got started. lol

Last edited:
Combination of though. You won't get MPD for example just because your parents both have it. Like I said, genetics will increase your chance of getting one, but without the proper environment, you won't get it.

Reactions: Esmeray
In my opinion, people with psychological disorders get them from either way. My aunt had no disorder when she was younger but when her grandmother died she sort of...Went a little off the rails, and then all of her children have some sort of bipolar disorder, so I think it could be a mixture. ^^

i had a thought... it is just a thought though.

regarding the so-called "delinquents".

how about in the beginning they had played the game beforehand but then had developed a guilty conscience for whatever reason or whatever. then decided to "change" the caste system. but of course, no one (the players) wanted that then decided to disinclude them from the game and band them from playing again... of course they'll become the target of bullying. they'll be the one who will be beneath the joker so the joker can be able to release their frustration on them as well.

again, just an opinion. :3

I think it's better to leave it the way it is tbh. Otherwise there's no reason for anyone to choose to be a delinquent and there's also no pressure on the Jokers. Since the RP is for observing the psychological effects on the players, then you kinda ruin it if even the lowest of the low still have someone to take their frustration out on.

Reactions: Mundane Monster

b52c32fa0d87dc559f0b3b2cde4e8263.jpg
MEI MATSUOKA
Nickname:
Mei

Date of Birth:
February 18

Sexual Orientation:
Heterosexual

Nationality:
Japanese

Hometown:
Tokyo

FAMILY
Parents:
Haruka Nanase (mother)
Rin Matsuoka (father)

Siblings:
N/A

Relatives:
Gou Matsuoka (aunt)
RELATIONSHIPS
Romantic Relationships:
None at the moment

Partner(s):
none at the moment

Friends:
none at the moment

Acquaintances:
none at the moment

Allies:
none at the moment

Enemies:
none at the moment
PERSONALITY
Persona:
Mei Matsuoka is quirky. She is an enigma. She is unpredictable. And independent. This is a fixed sign which means she doesn't take kindly to people telling her what to do. But if you need help, she is a true humanitarian who is ready and willing to assist someone who might be short on cash or down on their luck. She'll also dole out sound advice.

She loves mingles with people from all walks of life. She tends to greet and interact with people the same way, no matter what their age or background. She likes to travel, she likes the new, but she can be curiously attached to the old. While some people love progress, on a personal level, she don't like change. It has to do with her loyalty, her attachment to the past, and her memories, so even though she has the courage to look ahead, usually with optimism, and see the best things in store, she still likes to remember where she have come from and who she is.

Mei very well keep her promises in her relationships, her take loyalty to a different, deeper level. She will stay loyal through thick and thin, unless of course something truly prove themselves unworthy.

•sweets
•cute things

Dislikes:
•people who says "no"
•liars
•bugs

Favorite Sayings:
"Don't judge a book by its cover"
"The prettiest smiles hide the deepest secrets, the prettiest eyes have cried the most tears, and the kindest hearts have felt the most pain"

Most Prized Possession:
hair accessory given to her by her aunt
View attachment 64847
PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS
Height:
5'4

Weight:
130 lbs

Body Build:
slender and curvy

Eye Color:
crystal blue eyes

Hair Color:
black

Complexion and Skin Tone:
porcelain complexion, pale skin

Voice:

Style:
Simple and comfortable but still elegant

Nervous Tics:
she twiddles with her hands when she's nervous
Intellectual/Mental Attributes and Attitudes
Languages:
Japanese, English and a little bit of French

Fears and Phobias:
sharp objects especially needles
blood
bugs

Hobbies:
fencing
reading books
baking pastries

Skills:
fencing
martial arts
baking

Strengths:
agile
flexible
smart

Weaknesses:
cute things
can't handle too much stress

Last edited:
Okay so I think I'm done with my CS but I can't find a good voice clip and I really want one. D:

Edit: Found one!

UM, no. I can guarantee it. A mental illness might not be the only defect one would receive, but a mutation in chromosomes responsible for the production of specific enzymes that are key ingredients in the overall proper functioning of the brain will most definitely lead to some sort of specific disorder. While chance does indeed play a role in the process meiosis, which is used in the production of the haploid gamets, of which two of a different type may merge together to create a new organism, when it comes to the genes already within the individual, there situation is rather different.
In my opinion, people with psychological disorders get them from either way. My aunt had no disorder when she was younger but when her grandmother died she sort of...Went a little off the rails, and then all of her children have some sort of bipolar disorder, so I think it could be a mixture. ^^
That is what we call a key factor and an expression of a gene. Your aunt had the disorder coded in her genome all her life, however, there was a need for a specific key factor to activate it. Some genes do not require such a factor to become active and express themselves, but when such is the case, many times the factor is a specific event that would not ofttimes occur in the life of the organism. In this instance, it was severe emotional breakdown that lead to the surfacing of the illness. The fact that her children inherited the disorder or have similar symptoms leads to the assumption that it is, in fact, heredatory and not a single unpassable trait.

Indeed, the environment does play a crucial role in the expression of some genes, some of which may never activate in the duration of an organism's lifetime, however, it is incorrect to state that its role takes up 99% of the reasoning behind the existence of a mental disorder. There exists a delicate balance between one's inner coding and surroundings. If a trigger does not appear, some genes will not activate, however, if the gene is not there to being with, it is impossible for a trait to emerge. (if we exclude the traits that are modificational a.k.a. reversible, and science fiction ).

@DANAsaur If you could do Mei's personality a bit more justice, it would be wonderful, Dana-san~ =3
@Polystical Alright, I believe she's good to go =3 Please, pick a class specialty for Mally from the following: Life Sciences, Mathematics and Technology, Historical Conservation, Literary Arts, Music or Linguistics. Here is a link to the schedules.
Alright, my character is finished (end of page 3). Also, Headphone's character is pretty much exactly the kind of person I can't stand :D
He's just peachy, isn't he? XD
When it comes to your character sheet, it is nowhere near complete. I know that a picture has been provided, but please describe what she looks like and what she prefers to wear and can be seen wearing. While I know some things are more enjoyable to discover, please write more on her personality. Also, please, write down some of her likes, dislikes, phobias, general fears, as well as a description of her disorder, just like the example sheet.

i had a thought... it is just a thought though.

regarding the so-called "delinquents".

how about in the beginning they had played the game beforehand but then had developed a guilty conscience for whatever reason or whatever. then decided to "change" the caste system. but of course, no one (the players) wanted that then decided to disinclude them from the game and band them from playing again... of course they'll become the target of bullying. they'll be the one who will be beneath the joker so the joker can be able to release their frustration on them as well.

again, just an opinion. :3
I think it's better to leave it the way it is tbh. Otherwise there's no reason for anyone to choose to be a delinquent and there's also no pressure on the Jokers. Since the RP is for observing the psychological effects on the players, then you kinda ruin it if even the lowest of the low still have someone to take their frustration out on.
Exactly. The Joker is supposed to be the lowest of the low. Having them be even lower does ruin the feeling of the underdog having fate's misfortune cloud above them.

• Thank You
Reactions: Mundane Monster
Why is a description needed if there's already an image? And since it's a school, that means a uniform anyway. I would usually do more on the personality, but for this character, nearly her entire personality is her disorder. It's so strong that she has no idea who she is anymore. And like I said. I want to be able to explore her disorder in the IC. Describing it all prevents me from doing that.

I'll choose literary arts, but lemme add a little tidbit about why in her cs. :3

Why is a description needed if there's already an image? And since it's a school, that means a uniform anyway. I would usually do more on the personality, but for this character, nearly her entire personality is her disorder. It's so strong that she has no idea who she is anymore. And like I said. I want to be able to explore her disorder in the IC. Describing it all prevents me from doing that.
Because it must be written, for informational purposes, what her exact diagnosis is and how it affects her daily life, so that other users aren't entirely blind when trying to approach her.
As for the attire, there will be no uniform (I wish I had worn one at school), since one's choice of clothings is part of the pieces of the opinion puzzle and would be a vital piece of data in the experiment. There are, of course, limits that must be maintained for decency's sake, such as a ban on revealing clothing, no mini skits, etc.

Alright, I'll explain as much of the disorders' details as the students would likely be given. Anyone playing a character who's likely to have more knowledge about disorders can PM me and I'll explain in more detail.

Still working on my character with gladis :3

Status
Not open for further replies.