The Promise We Made That Day

Jorie-Robins-Banner.png

Jorie pushed down on the umbrella in tandem with Freddy, his size and strength doing most of the work; but at least she tried. The boards creaked as they were forced away from the wall and hit the floor and each other with a clatter that might have been deafening if not for the ruckus that had already taken place. As soon as the window opened, she had one foot over the sill, bracing the sole of her rain boot on the slick shingles of the garage roof so she could step out. She didn't get the chance as the door opened then and in stepped-- wait. That wasn't the shadow man.

In the beam of her flashlight Jorie could make out a familiar face, one of the last faces she wanted to see. A shrill shriek escaped before Jorie could catch it. Oh, no! Why did it have to be Nuri?! She almost would have preferred the shadow man to him. She jerked her leg back inside and hid herself behind her tall blond friend. The sound of another voice bid her to peek around him and she saw Flynn step into the light. Then it all made sense.

"Anna..."

As soon as he recovered from the book hitting his face, Flynn unleashed a verbal lashing. Jorie hid behind Freddy again, but to no avail. He addressed her in very much the same fashion as her father or brother would in this situation - with stern disappointment.

"EEP." She squeaked and shrank back, averting her gaze like a child ashamed of what she'd done. "I.. I just kind of... showed up.." The words were little more than a murmur. "I wouldn't really call it 'encouraging.'" She clenched the hem of the sleeves of her rain coat and looked at her feet. Mr. Puck smiled at Flynn and Nuri, his small mouth and large eyes just visible behind Jorie's hood. It almost seemed like he was laughing at them.

Jorie's head jerked up at the sound of the sirens.

"Oh, no. Oh, no!" Panic set in almost immediately. What would her parents think if she called them in the middle of the night, asking to be picked up from the police station? What would they do if they found out she lied about going to Dan's party, not to mention breaking and entering into a missing man's house? She'd be grounded all summer for sure, but would they take away Mr. Puck?

"We gotta get out of here!" Jorie started for the window again and thrust one leg out, perching herself on the window sill.

"I can't go to jail! What'll happen to Mr. Puck?!" Out went the other leg, followed by the rest of her.

"I can't leave him alone! Jae will put him in the garbage disposal for sure!" Her hands let go of the window.

As soon as she stood from the window sill, she slipped and there was another shrill shriek.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Warden