The Prisoner

It wasn't surprising that Orrin simply scoffed at the girls words. She was deluded, along with her entire race. But he didn't respond to this for the time being. Instead, he allowed her to go on with her little speech, eventually making his move. Without any discernible effort, Orrin simply headbutted the girl, his forehead connecting with her nose. And using this shock to his advantage, he made sure to roll her back over, placing his hands over her own - truly turning the tables.

"Let me tell you something, my darling. We have never warred with any race but our own." And that had been true, up until a waterfall had become disputed over. The network of caves in which the dark elves lived opened out onto this oasis, which also happened to be on the edge of the wood elf territory. When a dark elf guard had happened across a pair of wood elves bathing there, they had responded with appropriate force, killing one and injuring the other. They had not intended to begin the costly conflict, but it was inevitable.

"You wood elves believe yourselves so innocent, and yet you leech off the land and slay innocents in their hundreds." He snarled, pressing the rope as firmly as he possibly could, seeking to cut off her air supply, though only for a few seconds - enough to cause her a little bit of panic.

A soft squeal in pain left her lips as his forehead collided with her nose, her expression twisting in pain as her body was slammed into the ground. Gasping as her air was cutting short she managed out the words between jagged breaths, "I'm not your darling." Her mouth fell open as she sucked in air once the rope loosened but not enough for comfortable, the moment scared her but she wasn't going to give him the satisfaction of knowing it. "I never said we were innocent, we've all shed blood and you are not one to preach of innocents... After what you did to him." the last bit faded from her voice in sadness.

All she could do was stare up at him, her body too weak to fight now. Even if she tried she would have just been squirming under his weight, a pathetic sight for him to see. He could probably see and feel her body relax into the floor as her eyes scanned his face for what he was thinking, finally her eyes settled back to his silver ones. Her voice becoming calm and soft, "Just do it, you know you want to."

Orrin remained straddled over the girl, his seething expression not changing at all, save for it intensifying ever so slightly as the other elf spoke. He couldn't believe what he was hearing, how mad or else wilfully misguided this person was. How they all seemed to be. In fact, he was so angered by her words that he actually slapped her. It was a petty act, and he knew it, but in the heat of the moment, he had needed to express himself in that crudely violent way.

"You honestly believe that I wanted to kill your friend? You think I desire to torture your kind?" He only shook his head, genuinely lost for words in that moment. He knew full well that he was a softer touch than many of his comrades, but even many of those found no pleasure in the calculated violence that was carried out in these rooms. Some did enjoy it, but those were usually of the lower caste, a primitive group that was capable of little more than base instincts.

After a moment, Orrin simply stood, leaving the cell, throwing the rope into a far corner of the cavern. "I am no barbarian. Perhaps you should look at yourself before judging me." He growled, now refusing to look at the girl. Instead, knowing that he needed to do something, but unsure of what he could or would do, he sat himself down in the small chair in which he had first waited for their recovery when they had been brought here.

Wincing as his hand collided with her cheek, her breath caught in her throat and her eyes shut tight bracing herself for another hit. Hesitantly her eyes peeks open feeling his weight lift from her body. His words hit her hard cause her upper body to jolt up into a sitting position "Myself?! Look at myself?! I was only defending myself, you were the one who acted us, injured me, killed my people." her words dripping with venom from how outraged he made her. She had never killed a dark elf, let alone any elf, only hunted for food.

Placing a hand to her cheek she turned her attention away from him, "If you didn't want to do it then why?" there was curiosity in her voice as she asked, usually those involved in the process were voluntary a part of the sick games. "You must be crazy and stupid..." she muttered to herself quietly as she rubs a hand over where the rope was on her neck. She didn't understand, how could he say one thing but willingly do another? Furrowing her 'brows together in confusion she thought it over, many assumptions as to why running through her mind.

Although he was finding all this talking - or more accurately shouting - extremely difficult to carry on with, Orrin made sure to continue on with the altercation, refusing to give up. He had never spoken to a wood elf before, aside from taunting in battle. This was an alien situation for him, and it was proving difficult to maintain. Even so, Orrin recognised that she might slip and divulge some information, should he strike lucky. It was unlikely, and truth be told, the real reason for his continuing attention was simple stubborness. He would not allow her to have the last word.

And so he responded in kind, his words cold and angry, "Survival. How can you not see that? We do only what is necessary to survive. Our methods are no more brutal than yours." His voice was a bellow that at times became shrill, though he made sure to get that under control as soon as he possibly could. "Those of us that relish your torture only do so because they seek revenge." Maybe not the most noble ideal, but certainly understandable. Orrin was only carrying out his duty though, and could not be counted among these men and women.

Glared eyes shot daggers "We don't torture, we don't live in filthy caves, and we aren't brute idiotic creatures." she spat back at him, nothing she had heard was brutal. When hearing of any battles or ambushes the wood elves were the swift ones, making quick painless kills but when the bodies of her people were brought back it looked as though the dark elves enjoyed the killing. Groaning she rubbed her hands over her face, something she'd never do, taking her eyes off of an enemy, but what was the point? Her hands smudged a bit of dirt onto her cheeks but she didn't care anymore, the argument between them just kept getting more heated.

For the time being she stayed quiet and let her eyes wonder, but then they froze seeing that he had left her cage open. She wondered if he really was that absent minded. Gripping onto the nearest bar she pulled herself up and leaned into the stalagmite. Hoping to distract him a bit more, keeping his mind away from where it should be, she wanted to make her way out. There had to be some chance of escape, "If you don't like what you do so much why not just leave?"