The Princess and the Toad

He smirked proudly as he watched the little one toss the cereal up into the cart.

"I adopted her last year. Wanted a kid, didn't want the kid to have my problems, so I adopted..." He gave a shrug, keeping to himself that he started the adoption process in a drunken fit of loneliness, then went through with it when he found out he drunk-selected a little girl with anger issues and emotional development delays who had been passed between foster homes twelve times in half as many months.

She deserved better than that.

"Most parents don't get to pick their kids, but I did." A hint of pride in his voice gave away that he didn't have any regrets.

"She's top in her class in reading level."

Barbara was smiling widely, just enthralled with the adorable child tossing a box of cereal in the cart. She was a quick thinker considering she wasn't that much shorter than her father. It would only a little longer before she was taller than him. Chuckling, the taller woman crouched down to Aldric's level, if just because bending her neck that much would eventually start hurting.

"She's lovely, Aldric. I can tell she's going to be a smart one just like her father." The compliment was honest as she looked over at the man beside her. "So then, is it you and her or do you have a partner? I mean, a girl of that size and speed is eventually going to outrun you."

"Just us two," Aldric said with a nod. He couldn't help but feel a little pride in managing his little girl on his own, though it was tough, given his broken body.

"And I'd hope she can outrun me. If we ever get attacked by a bear, she's supposed to trip me, run away, and then find some wolves to raise her. Proper-like."

His serious expression and nod at odds with his words, he let it sink in a moment before a smirk slipped free.

"I'll bring the wolves and rescue you!"

"Can't rescue me if the bear ate me!"

"He'll just lock you up cuz he thinks you're a wish-granting elf." She nodded, serious in her expression, which earned her a hair-ruffling.

"Brat."

Barbara smiled and giggled a bit, shaking her head at the cute pairing of father and daughter. Even if it was an interesting sight, it touched her heart. It wasn't a typical trait to see a man adopt on his own; it moved her a bit. After all, she had her dreams of family and marriage but admittedly couldn't move beyond the stigmas that get set for women. Turning more to look at Aldric she gave a soft smile of sorts.

"So how have you been? You seem to be busy with family, but I haven't seen you too much around the gym. Did your last set on the bench push you too much?" Barbara asked kindly, her tone caring instead of judging like other's would be.

He grinned and shrugged. "Still a pain in the ass to everyone around me," he grunted.

"But I don't go to the gym every day. Only when I don't have work."

Though she was right, that last set had been a bit much, he didn't want to admit it, especially since it was healing nicely, with some help from his daughter—who helped him apply heat to the sore muscles.

Plus, even if he was a twisted little midget, he had a little pride, and he hated to admit when he'd mistreated his body. At least he didn't smoke anymore. The looks he got back then...

He shrugged, then grinned. "I was meaning to ask, Barb. What brand of tens unit you got? I'd ask google about what's a good value, but anyone can fuck with those results if they have a web page."

"Fuck," his daughter repeated, which just drew a glance from Aldric.

"Don't just repeat it. If you're going to cuss, do it right."

She pouted. "You're supposed to yell at me."

"Fuck that."

"Bad example!"

The site before Barbara was more and more humorous, even if a little inappropriate for the child that seemed to be somewhat used to the man's cussing. Still, it was cute, and it touched her to know that there were still people out there in the world who could do all the thing Aldric did even with such ill health.

"Well, I have custom clothing and shoes, simply because I'm bigger than most. What I don't have altered to my liking, I make myself, or I order on name brand sites that allow for personal design and fit. My current gym shoes are about $250 in value; simply because of the needs, I had filled. That, and I like my shoes to last a long time."

Turning back to her purse, she shuffled through it a moment before pulling out an older business card. Handing it to Aldric, she smiled sweetly at the shorter man. "Here, I am a bit of a hoarder, but I suppose it pays off today. This shop is where I get a lot of custom clothing done. It should be helpful to you on finding a good shoe. I visit the site so often I have it saved to my computer, so you can keep the card if you like."

Aldric stared in confusion, but accepted the card before he scratche his head. "I thought tens unit was... uh... the zappy thing."

Caught off-guard as he was, the man couldn't help but blush as he looked the card over, then put it into his pocket.

"Thanks, though. I get my clothes tailored, but shoes are a big problem."

Not what he'd asked about, but still supremely useful. He couldn't help but laugh a little bit at the confusion.

"It is called a tens unit, right? See, this is why I don't trust google."

Confusion seemed an incredibly effective way to break his gruff mask.

"Ooh! Blushy blushy! You liiiike her!"

"What!" He turned to the child.

"You liiiiiike her!"

He raised an eyebrow, then looked at Barb.

"Hell with it. That gives me an idea. Wanna give me your number?"

"Wait! What!?" His little girl stared.

Barbara blushed, realizing that she had been the one to mishear his question. Smacking her forehead, she waved off his question a bit as she seemed flustered by her own mistake. "Oh! I'm sorry! I thought you said tennis shoes! Ugh, I've had work on the brain all day. I can't even hear right anymore."

Turning back to her purse, she pulled out a notepad this time. "Yes, you are right. They are called tens units. However, if you want a good brand, I'd aim for the professional medical grade. They aren't easy to get ahold of to the public though, but through a doctor, they can get purchased. If you have a physical therapist, I highly recommend talking to them."

While talking, Barbara wrote down the best brand she could think of, and a few other's in case there wasn't much money to spare. All of them a medical grade and ones she had previously used. Barb paused though, blushing even more at the girls light teasing and seeing that it got directed at her father. The sudden and unexpected request for her number caught the woman off guard, but she didn't seem insulted.

In fact, this information could get noted that her cheeks got pinker. "Ah- Well- I-...Okay." She said, finally gathering herself before jotting down her number onto the paper as well with the info she had. As a small side piece, Barb even put down the days she had off, Fridays and Saturdays. Ripping the sheet off, she handed it to Aldric with a smile of sorts. "Here."

Aldric accepted the paper and read it over, mouthing the number silently before he pulled out his wallet and slid it in.

"Thanks."

With that, he pulled out his business card and offered it to her, revealing not only his full name, but also that he was a lawyer, his hours, and his days of business.

"This has both my office number and my work cell. It's easier than writing things down, and I can just text you from my private cell later."

With that, he looked toward his daughter.

"We'd better get going. I promised Luce we wouldn't take long. Just saw you eying the coffee and figured I'd say hi. Or something."

'Luce' grinned. "Soccer pratice!"

Taking the offered business card, she tucked it lightly into her purse. Barbara didn't want to lose track of that. Aldric was proving to be an exciting guy. He was also surprisingly forward. All the same, it would be nice to have an easier time getting ahold of him now. Sitting around hoping she'd bump into him was no a productive way to start talking to another person.

Smiling at the little girl and her father as the topic of soccer and fun seemed to arrive, Barbara chuckled and nodded her head in understanding. "I won't keep you then, and it was nice of you to come over and say hello. If you have trouble getting a machine, let me know. I am a physical therapist, and I have some pretty easy access to those things. I do recommend going to your doctor first, so they can have the info on file just in case something happens."

Turning, she started to push her cart away and waved over her shoulder as she carried on with her shopping. "I'll see you around Aldric."

"Take care," he called with a small wave.

Once they checked out and went to soccer practice, he put the woman's number into his phone while he waited for the game to start from the stands. His ass hurt...

Absently, he sent a text.

To: Barb
Barb. It's Aldric. Hi. Just making sure this is the right number.

Barbara had been putting away her groceries when her phone buzzed. The woman hadn't been home for very long, and she honestly hadn't thought that Aldric would message her so soon. Blinking a bit at the text, Barb decided to respond. After all, he was making sure it was the right number. Staying silent might confuse Aldric and make him think that Barbara had given him the wrong number.

To: Aldric
Hey Aldric, didn't expect to hear from you so soon. Having fun at soccer?

Oh good, she had given the right number, rather than trying to be rid of him, like most women did. That was good!

Noise from the field brought his attention there in time to see the girls starting to run to their positions, and he quickly sent a response.

The girls are just starting. Figured I had a few moments to send a text, though. Want to meet up some time when neither of us is busy? I need to watch soccer now. Will answer after.

Smiling a bit, Barbara proceeded to respond. She wouldn't hover over her phone then for his answer, but Barb wasn't the type that left texts hanging. After all, he said he'd look at it later, so better to have something to read once he was free.

Fun! It sounds like you are having a blast then. As for a meetup, there is a lovely coffee place uptown in the shopping district. We could have lunch together sometime.

The game finished, and Aldric and Lucy took an uber home. They had dinner, finished up the day, and after Aldric tucked in his little girl, he finally pulled out his phone to answer.

We just need to figure out day and time, then. I have two hours for lunch Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.

Barb had settled into bed after a lovely dinner and her favorite DIY show, still watching the days reruns on the TV in her room, when her phone buzzed. Picking it up, she looked at the message and smiled, typing a quick answer.

I only have late evening appointments with my patients at the therapy clinic on Wednesdays, so that day would be perfect for me.

Shit. He couldn't believe they found matching times that easily. Aldric stared at his phone a few moments, actually nervous.

After a few moments, he took a deep breath.

"Don't act like you're going to be stood up before it happens," he reminded himself in a whisper, "Be confident, even if you're screaming inside."

With that, he typed another message, telling her that they should meet on-location at 11:30 or so, to give him time to get there.

After he sent it, he snickered slightly, then wrote another message.

If I don't show up on time, assume shitty taxi service, and that I'll make it up to you with a fancy dinner or something.

However, he deleted it. If something came up, he'd let her know then instead of acting paranoid now.

Barbara took note of when they should meet up and where. It was rather exciting to think that she would be having lunch with the shorter man. Though, she couldn't yet determine if this was a date or not. Sure, the large woman did find his snarky humor entertaining and his daughter adorable, but that didn't mean that he was interested in that way. Maybe it was her knowledge of the gym he was looking to pick, or perhaps he was just polite. Either way, Barbara didn't want to jump to any conclusions.

As it was getting late, Barbara only sent a simple reply saying that she would meet him there on the coming Wednesday. Hopefully, this wouldn't just be then chatting up business. For as short as he was, Aldric was proving to be a far more entertaining man than anyone she had met who was of 'normal' size.

Every day leading up to Wednesday seemed too long and a whirlwind all at once, and he sent a couple more texts to the large woman throughout, trying to seem confident as he let her know what the weather channel said about their coming lunch, or asked about any allergies.

When the big day came, he saw his little girl off at the bus stop, then went inside and changed into his nicest suit—the most flattering thing he could wear with such a twisted body. She'd seen it already, but the fewer people staring at the Tyrion-wannabe, the better. No woman wanted to stay long when her companion drew the eye and muttering of everyone around...

That, and he did want to give the impression that their lunch was something he looked forward to, and was an appointment he wanted to go well, regardless of whether or not it was a date.

It wasn't usual for a woman to see him in all his nasty glory and then be happy to see him at the grocery store. He wanted to put his best foot forward and maybe show some appreciation.

Besides, in his experience, it never hurt to make a lady feel like her time was valued. Hell, it never hurt anyone to make them feel like their time was valued.

Once he was dressed, he took a deep breath and went to work in the usual cab. Today, he made sure to schedule no court dates and appointments for the morning only, and nothing after eleven.

Time went slowly until he called the cab to arrange his ride, and then...

All too fast. It felt like mere seconds before he was standing at the cafe, looking around. He was ten minutes early, in his eagerness.

The day of the lunch, Barbara had put a bit more work into her appearance compared to usual. Sure, she dressed professionally for all her appointments at the therapy clinic. Cute skirts and shirts were required considering that no scrub set came in her size. With the clinic unable, or unwilling, to buy her custom ones he had to wear comfortable clothing that could also look professional.

Today, however, she spiced it up a bit. She had on a rather lovely dress; it was tight to her muscles body. It was flattering, having a pencil skirt and a bit of frill at the bottom. It was a pale blue and looked rather nice on her. She carried a duffle back with work clothing in it so she could change after lunch, as she knew that walking around the clinic in such a dress wouldn't be easy.

With beautiful black heels and a bit of makeup, Barbara was standing out far more than the tall woman already did. She could hear people muttering while other's just blankly stopped and stared in the middle of the sidewalk. Deciding to walk to the cafe they decided to meet at, Barb arrived a little on the early side, but only by a few minutes. Aldric, though short, was easy to spot in a crowd for his always fashionable suits.

"Aldric," Barbara called to him, stepping into the cafe and wandering over to the man as she smiled. "Hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."