The Princess and the Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silia smiled at this. Even though he kept appologizing, he really didn't need to. She was the one who'd misinterpreted his actions. She was seeing a pattern in the way he acted around her. He thought everything was his fault, which she found addorible. "It is fine Sterling, no worries. My servant's aren't as attentive as one might think. They know I am more than capable of protecting myself. It's not like I haven't killed before." she shrugs, acting as if this piece of information was widely known. The fact of the matter was that she had no clue how far it had gotten through the kingdom, or if it had even gotten out of the castle walls, but it was no matter to her. Why step around the truth?

Moving on from one uncomfortable conversation, she decided to start another one. "Sterling... people are going to be asking questions about what happened today, and as to why you were in my rooms for so long. We have to figure out what to tell them." She looked at him, wondering if he had an idea, "If our excuse sound's one bit off, they could very well go against my word and kill you, or worse, kill both of us. And though many nobles will turn a blind eye to this incident, many other's will find it harder to do so unless we feed them some sort of acceptable words. And I'd rather not lie, but stretching the truth may be acceptible if we find some sort of aggrement as to what to do.."

"Now what I'm thinking of doing may sound a little bit drastic, so I wanted to see what you thought of before I put my idea on the table in front of you." Silia nodded, she did have a plan, and it might not have been the greatest of plans but it would most likely work for their purposes, and make things easier for them in the long run. Maybe they could face those waves of fate together.

"That is indeed true," said Sterling as he contemplated the actions of the night. "But what could be enough of a reason for us to have spent so much time with each other?" he wondered out loud, contemplating what could excuse them for such a long time. Business matters were certainly not enough for him to have spent so much time with Silia, not to mention that such a thing would incite a riot. Not only would it mean that he had the open support of the mage princess herself, it would also mean that the mage princess was starting to acquire a business empire for herself. That would certainly not go over well with the mages, as it would mean that the already powerful royal family could acquire even more power for themselves, perhaps even evicting them in the long run. While he was sure that the queen and king would not do that because they cared for their people, he knew that others were not of the same opinion.

What else could be? Small requests from the mage princess to a duke would only take a few minutes at most, not the long time they have spent together in their room. Even a serious thing such an oath of service or a vassal pledge could only take so long, so those were not appropriate excuses unless they had performed several, which made no sense at all. Likewise, Silia requesting the presence of Sterling because of an urgent matter also covered too short of a time, and so did him saving her life. A royal hearing was out of the question as Silia had no authority to do something like that. Maybe if they could convince a member of a royal family to pretend that they have been here... No, that would not work. Why would a royal hearing take place in Silia's room, when there were far more appropriate venues for it.

Him asking for her assistance was also out of the question as most people viewed the mage princess as but a figurehead, whose words held much influence, but she could be easily bypassed, not to mention that it would create an uproar across the kingdom. The only plausibility which remained were personal matters... And when his thought process got there, the mind of Sterling almost froze up.

"Please tell me, princess Silia, that you are not thinking the same thing as I am thinking," said Sterling, slipping back into his old method of addressing the mage princess as he looked at her with deadly serious eyes. "That would be the only logical move, but it would require much maneouvring from both of our sides, not to mention it could result in a catastrophe if any one of us did not make the right step. If me and your majesty were to engage in that dance, we would have to be the best dancers on the floor," he said, then he caught himself referring to Silia, so he took a short breath to regain his composure.

"But alas, I see no other way, my lady," he said, looking into the eyes of the mage princess. "Or to be more correct, I do see another option, but I do not wish to humiliate you with it," he added after thinking his plans over briefly, hoping that Silia would find a different way out.

Silia never let her eye's leave Sterling's. She saw when he made the realization, of his own, but she didn't know if what he thought was exactly what she'd been thinking until he started talking all seriously. She was a little taken aback about how against the idea he looked, but alas, she couldn't think of anything else. She swallowed and without pulling her eyes away from his, "Marriage. An announcement of engagement." The words slips past her tongue silky smooth. A faint smile on her lips. She could tell he wasn't exactly happy about the idea. It was quite obvious, his aversion to it. But she had backed them into this corner somehow, and this was all she could think of that would even remotely keep him safe.

"I... I know it's not the optimal idea, but there aren't really any other idea's that are better. We could easily explain to our parents, maybe I to keep my promise that no one shall harm you and you for some other reason.. or we could just say that for political reasons we believe it to be the best match." She was trying to get her thoughts straight, this was completely wild and she knew it, she really didn't know if anyone would believe that this was why she was protecting him, she'd have to convince her parent's to say it was their idea and that she had been told before the party. She obviously had no clue how it would work on Sterling's side either. She was scrambling through her mind. But nothing was coming to her. She took a deep breath and looked back into his eyes.

"But we have to figure everything out, when we'll make the formal announcement, where we'll do it, why we're doing it. I'll try and get my parent's to agree with me and say that they were the ones who proposed the match. It's not like they haven't considered you, I know I've heard them talking about us getting together before in off chatter, and I'm sure your parent's have sent letter's along the same lines." She looked around a moment, she was trying to stay with him, she was getting a little worked up. "It'd be a great excuse for the way I reacted. I was defending you after all. And even though we just met, it makes sense for me to want to protect something that will eventually... excuse me.. but.. be mine.." She allowed herself a small blush. She knew that he might find that last bit offensive, but she couldn't have found a better, more polite way to say it at that moment.

"Sterling..." She paused, looking back into his eyes, "I know... that it's dangerous, but I really do believe that together would could do this. We both know our way around our people, and we know what they are more likely to accept." Putting her hand next to his but not on it, she continued, "I have already place so much trust in you, can you take just a piece of yourself and trust me? I understand if you don't want to do this, but you shouldn't have to ... to be... put in harms way because of my blind actions." She smiled at him, a pleading but understanding smile. She would follow his wishes. Whatever they may be.

A short, but heavy silence reigned over both the mage princess and the Machine Duke, a meaningful pause during which Sterling re-processed the situation, taking every single variable into account. However, there was no other solution that he could think of and an arranged marriage was the only reasonable excuse he managed to come up with to explain the long time they have spent together. Even more, such a thing was to be expected between people who have yet to meet and have been forced into a marriage, as they would have to know each other at least a bit before every detail was arranged, not to mention that having the pair meet up at the day of the wedding would just be awkward. It was a well-known practice for those who were to be engaged to see each other before taking their vows, so it would have made a lot of sense. It would have also given them an opportunity to meet up more times, not to mention that it would make it much more convenient.

"Then we have come to the same conclusion," said Sterling, still looking into the eyes of Silia. "I just hope that, you, my lady, and I are both ready for it, because we are going to dance near the edge of a cliff, at the bottom of which lies the unknown. We are always going to be on the razor's edge and should our attentions flicker, one of us will drag the other under," he said, then he took a deep breath to process the weight of his own words. "But to answer your question, my lady," said Sterling, raising his voice and making a small pause to heighten the tension. "If you are willing to walk along the razor's edge, my lady, I will accompany you, for my life has always belonged to the Wolf Throne," continued the Machine Duke as he kneeled down in front of the princess, then he pulled his ruined pocket watch forth. Opening the already cracked case of the miraculous device, Sterling took a glance at the internal mechanism of the clock, then pulled a small gear loose from the watch, which he put into his hand.

"I would be honoured if I were to have your hand in marriage, princess Silia, and I promise that I will trust you just as much as you trust me," said Sterling, offering the gear to the princess as if it was a wedding ring. "Unfortunately, I do not have a proper ring on me right now, so you will have to make do with it until I acquire something more appropriate. Still, if we are to engage in such a dangerous game, I would like you to keep it as a memento until I can give you a proper one to remind both of us to our goals. I know that it is a humble offering, but I hope that it will be enough," he said, waiting for Silia to make the next move. In all honesty, he really doubted that she would accept such a thing, however, as this day has been full of surprises, he would not be surprised if another one came his way.

Silia couldn't help but blush more and more as he spoke. The way he talked about them working together, so poetic, and his willingness to take part in her crazy plan had slightly surprised her. She would have imagined him having more of an aversion to the idea, but, the way he was taking this, so serious and the way he looked, kneeled down in front of her, pocket watch like the case, the gear the ring, most would find it adorrible, she just found it amazing and clever on his part.

She practically felt like crying when he offered her the gear, with his words of promise. Her heart pounding against her chest. Even though she knew it was to keep face, the way he did this with what felt like such sincerity, she couldn't help but act like this. Her lips were quivering with a small smile. She sat there as if this were real, as if she were really being asked the question even though he was doing this for other reason. She took a deep breath to clear her head and reached her hand out to him.

"I will gladly make the journey with you Sterling, no matter where this path may take us, each step, we shall take together. Shall you fall, I go with you, and visaversa. This cliffs edge, may it strengthen our resolves, and if we survive this whole trip unscathed, it shall just be a bonus to our achievement. May we pick eachother up when we are down, and hold eachother up when we are to weak to hold ourselves up. Like a gear, may we turn, with only one purpose, and power ourselves to reach our goal. You Sterling, shall be mine, as I will be yours." She didn't know if it was to much, but she'd said it, there was no going back.

If he was to be honest with himself, Sterling was absolutely flabbergasted by Silia's response, but he did not let that show on his face. Even though he had started to get a good grip on her personality, he did not think that she would accept a token like this, so he was a bit late in slipping the gear onto the left ring finger of Silia. He then frowned as he saw that the gear covered the hands of the mage princess' hand in grease and his hand was dirty as well, so he reached into his pocket with his clean hand and pulled out a handkerchief, which he gave to Silia.

"I am sorry that I dirtied your hands, my lady," said Sterling sincerely then he looked at Silia, as if he was measuring her to see if she was up for the task they wanted to take on. However, he just wanted to see what her reaction was to his actions, knowing what kind of marriage she preferred to the one which they just made, but she just seemed to be happy and eager, especially when Sterling considered her words. That meant he was at least an acceptable partner for her, he realised, which put his mind at ease just a bit. In the end, though, Silia would probably never know happiness and neither would he, the Machine Duke realised as he contemplated this arrangement between them, especially its long-term consequences. His father and mother would be absolutely delighted by this piece of news, then they would attempt to turn the entire duchy into a bright fireworks display to celebrate the support they got from the Wolf Throne. The nobles would be probably enraged, however, they would likely see the wisdom of the royal family who was just trying to keep a potentially dangerous threat in check. Those who knew him well and were involved with his business would likely suspect him of being swayed, but through his actions, he could prove to them that he still stood for machines, not against them.

The arranged marriage was certainly a good idea, however, it was not a perfect idea. Like every good idea, it had its downs as well. The wedding would have to be incredibly expensive and well-detailed so that all nobles would be satisfied, and like Sterling told Silia, they would be dancing a deadly waltz on the razor thin edge of politics. The moment the impromptu ring was slipped onto Silia's finger, Sterling already started making plans, slowly weaving a web of business empires, policy, wit, bribes and blackmail so he could achieve his purpose. He did not know if Silia was doing the same, but he supposed that she was also taking into consideration the implications of this decision... And then he suddenly remembered his words.

"My lady," said Sterling all of a sudden. "I said that I would trust you as the dance goes on. In that case, I must reveal to you my ultimate goal, with which I aim to prove that the coexistence of science and magic is not only possible, but necessary," said Sterling as he took a deep breath. "My lady... I aim to construct a bridge across the Death Valley."

She took the kerchief with a smile and wiped at her 'ring'. Honestly she had no issue with getting her hands dirty. She masterfully cleaned the gear and her finger and then took his hand in her's as he spoke to wipe it off. After doing so she neatly folded the handkerchief and handed it back to him. "No problem, see? Easy fix." A small smile, lit her face. She knew there was a lot of work to do, though the marriage may not happen for a long while, there was still a tremendous amount for her and Sterling to do to set everything up. And the begining was going to be quite tricky if it didn't go off right. But she knew, that they would make it work somehow.

When he spoke again, she jumped a little bit and as he spoke on her eye's widened. A bridge?! Over Death Valley?! This... this was what he'd come up to her for before, what had gotten him in this mess. She searched him over, making sure he was being completely serious about this. But she couldn't see anything unserious about him. She had heard him say maybe one joke if that much, and this certainly wasn't one. Once over the initial shock she took a deep breath, thinking it over. It hadn't worked, with just one or the other, but Sterling believed that if both worked together, it could happen. It made sense, why wouldn't it work? Two working together to make one.

She looked at his eye's and smirked, "Well, now that I finally know what you wanted, I find it to be absolutely fascinating. Absurd to many for sure, but just crazy enough that it might work I think." She smiled at him. Now with a softer tone, "Thank you for entrusting me with this information Sterling. But... I must say one more thing.." She took a deep breath trying not to sigh, "We are going to have to break you of the 'my lady' habbit. You'll have to either call me by name or say 'my dear' which I would not only find embarasing to hear, but it would probably be embarassing to say. We'll have to make it more believeable in every aspect, this is just one tip of the cliffs edge." She shook her head.. this time letting a sigh go.

Of course it would eventually come to that, realised Sterling as he contemplated the words of Silia. If he were to be married to the mage princess herself, he would be expected to be kind to her and to behave as if he really was her husband, even though it was a marriage which ultimately for business purposes, an arranged one without any real meaning for both of them. That is, of course, if their mutual goals were put aside along with Sterling's astonishment when Silia actually accepted his proposal. It was truly a world-shattering event for him and his family, because not one of his family members ever thought that they would have the honour of getting so close to the Wolf Throne. His mother, his father, his brothers and sisters... All of them were but servants of the royal family who took their oaths the most seriously. To be blessed by the princess herself was unthinkable and that fact just sunk into Sterling's mind.

"What am I even doing..." the sentence finally slipped out of his mouth, all of his self control gone. "I am sorry, my lady, but... I... think I need to take this in for a second before we go further," he said as his rational mind went over the past few seconds. He had agreed to her proposal so eagerly and gave her that impromptu ring... What was he even thinking? He was supposed to serve the Wolf Throne, not to take the mage princess as his bride to be. Within the span of a few moments, his plan had gone from acceptable through outrageous to soul-shattering. He was taken along with the heat of the moment, his mind forgetting his duty, the Wolf Throne he swore by. And now he could not take that decision back, nor did it make logical sense that he take it back.

"I am really sorry, my lady," said Sterling as he shook his head, trying to re-organise his thoughts. "I just realised the weight of the decision I made," he explained as he took the dirtied handkerchief from her after what probably was an awkward pause. "But as for the bridge," he said, quickly brushing the issue addressed by Silia to the side. "I and my engineers have made several calculations and have concluded that it is indeed possible to build a bridge over the Death Valley if magic and technology are used together. So it is not as crazy of an idea as it sounds, because I have the numbers to back it up. I just need support for it, and within at most two years, the bridge will stand strong," he said as he mentally scolded himself for his weakness, not to mention allowing himself to be swept away by the heat of the moment. That will not happen again, he promised to himself.

She watched him as he reacted to her and everything that had just happened. He looked as if he'd seen some sort of ghost, and was angry at himself. He was unsure of what he'd done, but why? She couldn't help but wonder what was going on in his mind that made him think that what he'd done was bad. She wanted to tell him that it was okay, that they could go back on the whole idea right at this very moment. But what else could they do? Did that even matter? Sterling wan't comfortable with this for one reason or another. And she understood if he didn't tell her everything. Most people wouldn't be able to.

"Sterling...I'm sorry... I shouldn't have even stated the idea," she said, "it was all I could think of. But if you are uncomfortable with this decision, this is the time to back down from it, when no one knows about it. We could act like this never happened, if that's what you want." It certainly wasn't what she wanted, but she had to remember that Sterling was of his own mind, he thought things through, and she was giving him that chance. She was also starting to realize the repurcutions of this decision. Sterling wasn't exactly like the man of her dreams, and though he was quite close, he wasn't exactly the most romantic, from what she'd gathered. She had a feeling, that a happy marriage was a far ways away from her, that it might never happen with Sterling. And though she'd known before that she might not get that exactly, she still hoped for it. A small frown came upon her face as she looked at her sheet's and contemplated this.

She knew she would most likely fall for Sterling, it wasn't a matter of if she knew it, it was a matter of how long. She already liked so many things about him, and she could feel that they were connecting pretty well already, but she could tell that there was just a little something missing. She didn't know from which side, heck, it might be from both sides that something is missing. Gripping at her sheets, she held back her frustration, did Sterling think he wasn't good enough for her? Hadn't she been the one to suggest the idea? But, she knew she couldn't throw these facts at his face, because that would likely push him further away. She needed him to CHOOSE her, not be FORCED to be with her.

She'd heard what he had said about the bridge. But had overlooked it for this. She understood what he meant, that he'd done all the work he possibly could, but these things could be discussed at another time. Right now, the talk about the marriage was what needed to happen.

"But alas, my lady, there is no other choice," said Sterling as he grimly contemplated everything. "Unless you wish to spread... improper rumours about both of us, which would damage our standing almost irrepairably, I see no other way to get out of this. If we say nothing about what has happened in here, then rumours are going to spread and mutate, turning into a twisted version of the truth," he said as he looked straight at Silia with serious eyes that told the mage princess there was no other options. "Already, the rumour mill is going to start. As well-behaved as your servants may be, my lady, not even they are immune to gossiping and talking about what happened in the castle. To be honest, we are pigeonholed into claiming that we have been set up as a married pair by our parents," he said, blowing the air out of his lungs to relieve some of the tension in his body.

"There is no other course of action for us, my lady, not unless we want to take a fall that is going to affect both of us heavily. I cannot imagine what would happen to the Wolf Throne if rumours started to spread," said Sterling, shuddering at the idea. The rumour of an extra-marriage affair between the mage princess and the Machine Duke would have sent the various nobles into an uproar and they would try to defend their princess' honour by either eliminating the threat to the throne or by undermining the family of Sterling. Even his loyal shareholders would likely abandon him, leaving his business empire to collapse and crumble, destroying the future that his parents built for him and his children. Similarly, the Wolf Throne would get submerged in nasty rumours that would undermine its power, and while it would be possible to stabilise the throne, Silia could probably never be the queen, the line of succession would be interrupted...

Worst case scenario, everything would deteriorate into civil war. Best case scenario, Silia would not be taken seriously as the queen and it would take a generation for the Wolf Throne to recover from the shock, unless she was strong-handed enough. But from the way she carried herself and the way she spoke, Sterling new that Silia would probably not be capable of running the state as if it was a dictatorship. She was seemed to be far too compassionate for that, and even if she had her own dirty laundry to air, even if she could manouvre the field of politics so viciously, in the end, she cared about her people.

"Unless we manage to come up with an insane plan, it is either the arranged marriage or taking a fall," said Sterling. "That is the choice we are faced with, my lady. It is not a question if I want to do it, because my life is dedicated to the Wolf Throne and I will do everything in my power to serve it. And right now, the best way to serve my country and my oath is to go through with this decision."

Silia patiently listened to Sterling. She could feel his unease and dislike for this plan. But she could also tell that he truly believed what he was saying about it. That it was the only way for them right now if they didn't want to completely ruin everything from the start. It was going to be a wild adventure for them, trying to keep to their idea, but she knew eventually they would get used to the idea of being engaged.

She looked at the gear on her finger, the symbol of their joining, and nodded. He was right of course, they had to do this, and though his reasons for sticking to the plan seemed off to her, she said nothing of it. He would do this for his reasons, and she for hers. Looking back up, she smiled at him, "Thank you for everything then Sterling. And again, I'm sorry that it ended up like this for you. I wish you nothing but a happy life, so if you find someone or something else, please tell me, we'll break it off if you wish then."

She smiled. She knew that he knew that engagement's of this sort could easily desolve, it was just a matter of when, how, and if the couple wanted it. As long as they weren't married, they could back down from this very easily. Hopefully, before she got to attached to the idea of being with him if it happened though.

"I do not think that calling off such an engagement would be easy, my lady, but let us brush that aside for the moment," said Sterling as he collected himself once more. "For now, I believe that we should establish the basics of how the arranged marriage was made. First and foremost, we should decide on the date we got to know we were to be engaged," said the Machine Duke as he went over the day's events, considering how long ago the engagement has taken place based on the way they acted. "I would say that it is reasonable to say we have known about our engagement for about a week before this party, however, we have exchanged words before in some way, shape or form. Your reaction to Lord Sade's rather," and here, he paused to search for the right word. In the end, he decided that there was no such thing that could describe the way the noble acted, so he went with the first thing that came to mind," ... questionable actions seems to imply you knew me a bit at least and you were willing to stand up for me."

"Of course, given the fact that I did not approach you directly at the party, that might not be a good idea," pondered Sterling as his mind explored all possible courses of action. "Though it could also be said that business was more important to me than a bride-to-be, though that would spread further, unflattering rumours about me inside the castle walls," he said, thinking out loud so that Silia could follow his thought process. It was not an easy thing to take so many variables into account and he may have missed something that the mage princess would pick up on. She seemed to be actually quite sharp considering that she likely did not have as much experience navigating minefields as he did.

"What do you think, my lady?" asked Sterling after a rather long pause. "I do not have more ideas, and because we are in this together, I would like to hear your thoughts on this matter," he said completely sincerely as he knew cooperation would be key in the coming days. It was what would make or break their fragile plan.

His words stung a bit, but she ignored that rather annoying first sting and listened to the rest of his words. He was making a whole lot of sense though there were holes in a few of his idea's or how he was thinking about them was a little to strict.. If she knew the people of her castle the way she did, they would easily believe that she would stand up for her fiance. That was just the way Silia was. She stood up for those she cared for, and sometimes cared not so much for. It was one of the things that actually got her into more trouble than the occasions normally were worth. Considering that she was a princess, these kinds of stories traveled fast. Like the time she'd saved the stable boy from a frightened and rearing horse and almost got her skull crushed in.

"I'm sure that they would easily believe that I was standing up for you, considering how I act so recklessly around the castle sometimes." She sighed, "But I also think you won't have to worry about not coming straight to me either, we could say we wanted to keep it secret until we felt the time was right to tell the people. We didn't want to immediately announce that we were betrothed because it would cause a tizzy and we mightn't be able to communicate correctly. Or something along those lines."

She paused as she thought for another moment, "Yes, rumors.... there are already so many about you... but.. I've found none of the vicious ones to be true." She smiled a smile so fake it was noticeable even to Sterling, "So they have no basis and can actually be replaced quite easily with just the talk of our marriage if I'm not mistaken. When one of the court hears that a princess is going to be married to a man they've talked down about, they find it wise to turn their thought's around in a way. Tactics to get on the royal families good side, if I know most of my people... that's what they'd do."

She looked at him, "So... how are we to announce this? And how am I going to get to my parents? And what about yours?" She wasn't sure how that part of the plan was going to work really. And it bugged her quite a bit.

"That is indeed true," said Sterling with a faint bewilderment in his voice as he tried to conceal the fact that he was surprised at Silia admitting that she was reckless. For a brief moment, he questioned this relevation from the part of the mage princess, but then he realised that her actions today, especially her outburst at Lord Sade matched up to that description, so he decided that she really was prone to recklessnes. Noting it as something that will need to be worked on in the future, Sterling moved on to the second part of what the mage princess said, especially with the fake smile that she showed.

"And you need not to restrain yourself, my lady. I know about the rather unsavoury rumours that are being circulated about me," he added as an afterthought, then he quickly moved on so the the uncomfortable topic of palace gossip to the most important part of the conversation. "As for our parents, I know that mine will be absolutely delighted to hear that I am marrying you, especially if I tell them that it was I who managed to set this up by speaking with the royal family. Just as I, my mother and my father pledged ourselves to the Wolf Throne and take our service very seriously. Being beside the mage princess herself would be considered to be an incredible honour by them."

"Therefore, it will not be hard to convince them to let me marry you," summarised Sterling and then he looked at Silia. "I am not sure how we should go around to convince your parents, though, especially seeing as I do not know them well enough that I could come up with a way to convince them," he said, then he looked straight into Silia's eyes, his eyes conveying a sharp, serious glance. "It would be you who would have to do that, my lady, or I would have to spend a long time getting to know your parents. And time is something we do not have, as the more we delay the announcement, the more serious the rumours are going to get," he said, a faint bitterness entering into his voice.

"As for the announcement, I am not completely sure. It would be probably for the best if we made an official announcement that would reach every single person's ear in the kingdom, and the sooner the better. Announcing it on the party is out of the question though, mainly because of how Lord Sade has treated me earlier your condition, my lady. Right now, everyone outside of this room is on the edge, because they know that their princess is in trouble, that she is not all right. Therefore, suddenly dropping this on them would be like dropping the chandellier in the opera house. It would be an absolutely beautiful catastrophe," said Sterling, analysing the situation out loud.

"In any case, I think it would be the best to announce that you are all right at first, and maybe announce our wedding in one or two days. By that time, the tension is going to disippate. What do you think, my lady?" asked Sterling seriously.

She breathed, "Yeah, I'd have to convince them. Though it probably wouldn't take much convincing. Just the right words, they'd go with it in a moment i'm sure. They are quite supportive, even if they don't see me all the time, nor do we have a lot of family time. They do really care. And they'd listen to most any request i had. I'm quite sure that the news of me feeling better came with the news of my father being tired, as well as your part in helping me heal." she said. her thoughts going every which way, everything jumbling together. " I don't care about rumours, that's all they are. and as for the waiting to announce I think that's a good idea." she yawned loudly.

"Oh my," she felt her eye lids get heavier. "It seems to be quite late. And I am quite tired. I'm sure everything we have planned so far will go well. it's just the parts after that.. will take some adjusting if not a lot." she gave a small smile, "So I bid you good night, but I have two requests before you go."

She smiled and waited till she had his full attention before moving on. "I wish to meet you again soon, so that we can plan things out further and the like. But also, I would like when you leave to tell one of the guard to send for my mother, tell them I wish to speak with her." She made her requests simple so as to not burden him with to much either. For he himself was probably tired too.

With a small, relieved smile Sterling nodded at the words of Silia. He really had not expected to be done with this ordeal so quickly, though he had to admit, the way the mage princess spoke about her parents did not seem to match his image of how the royal family would raise their child, but then again, it was not like they lived in his circumstances. Even if he was a duke, there was much more power amassed behind the Wolf Throne than in his hands, or at least that was how he saw himself. Or at least they had more political power behind them, corrected Sterling, knowing that his business empire was one of the largest in the country. He would not have been surprised to find out that the Royal Family had been establishing countless smaller businesses under false names, though.

Shaking his head slightly, Sterling cleared his thoughts and turned his attention towards Silia. "In this case, we are quite fortunate, my lady. Both of our parents seem to be supportive of our endeavours, so this part of the plan will not be impeded. However," said the duke, raising his voice slightly. "I would appreciate if you gave rumours more thought, my lady. The fact that you think of them as mere rumours or gossip that is to be dismissed is well, but one should never forget that there are people who take them quite seriously, not to mention that they always have a silver of truth to them. Therefore, even if you do not think much of them, my lady, you should always consider them. I have seen rumours unmake whole communities and ruin entire lives. In the right hands, they are quite powerful tools which can be used to manipulate gullible people," said Sterling, then he realised what he just said.

"I am sorry that I attempted to educate you in a subject that you already know, my lady," apologised the duke, bowing his head slightly. "I should have realised my folly when I started speaking. Then again, just as you have said, it is starting to get late, and as such, my thoughts must be murky," he said, knowing that he was just making excuses for himself. "In any case, I will remove myself from your presence, my lady, as I see that I am only disturbing your well-overdue rest. I promise that I will complete the tasks you have given to me and you will hear from me again soon," said Sterling as he stood up and bowed deeply towards Silia. "I wish you the best of nights," he said as he exited the door, closing it behind him. Flagging down the nearest servant, Sterling told the butler to fetch Silia's parents, then he excused himself and left the palace, making sure to avoid the huge ballroom. He really did not want to get into a conflict with Lord Sade or any one of the mages, so he basically snuck out to the coach that brought him.

"Good evening, sir," said the butler at the head of the coach. "Shall we head home now?"
"Yes," said Sterling courtly as he looked out of the window to get a look at the palace for one last time. "And make haste, Stephan. I would like to arrive home as soon as plausible."
"I have arranged for horses to be waiting for us at every stop, sir. We will get home in no time," said the butler, his voice sounding a bit hurt.
"Good job. Now leave me alone and wake me up when we get within ten minutes of the mansion," said Sterling as he slumped into his seat so he could sleep off today's exhaustion and tension.
"Yes sir."

She smiled, they'd have to work on his always apologizing. She wasn't one to rule with an iron fist. And even if he were aggravating her with his words she'd never cast him out for it. She found this side of him quite nice though. Always being careful, taking measures to be on her good side. He'd do we'll with her parents. They'd love him just for wanting to please her. Let alone wanting to please them. She had a feeling though the road would be difficult, they would figure things out soon enough.

As she had asked he had sent for her parents. Sleepy as she was, and as they were, they came. They new that if she called for them it was something of great importance., either that or they just wanted to get out of what they were doing. Her mother was the first to walk in, rushing to Silia's side with a look of relief on her face. Her father slowly lumbering in behind, clearly still feeling the side effects of the healing. Silia smiled at her parents as her mother to her hand. Instantly her mother's face grew a shocked expression and she opened her hands to look at Silia's hands. A slightly confused look on her face as she saw the gear on her finger.

Silia smiled a bit, "He proposed mama. I... don't know what it is about him.. but something... connects us. He promised me a better ring later.. but this holds meaning. It's.. almost like a pact between us." She giggled and her mother couldn't help but smile a bit too.

"My dear... Isn't this a bit fast.. I mean.. I know we have been talking to his parent's.. and I know you knew.. but, you only just met eachother. Wouldn't it be wiser to wait."

Silia smiled, "we weren't going to announce it right away. The people need a little time to breath after the party. And we'll need help figuring out how to do the announcement and such." Silia looked between her parents, "I want to protect him.. and.. his goals.. and he wishes to do the same."

Her parent's nodded, they understood this completely. That's how they went about their lives as well. Holding each other up and keeping things going. The no sooner had consented to her engagement as the started talking of preparations. Silia just smiled and stopped them, "Right now, I am tired, we can talk of this another day no?" and they left. Silia was alone for the first time that night, and she felt strangely empty for it.

The way home was, quite fortunately, completely uneventful, so Sterling had a good time sleeping, or at least he was on the outside. On the inside, his dreams were strange, incoherent and sometimes just plain stupid as he liked to put it, so even though he managed to sleep through the whole journey, he was not rested when he woke up. Of course, he felt better than if he had not rested at all, but he would need to take a nap some time during the day if he was to continue functioning. Speaking of functioning, it looked like that he arrived precisely at breakfast, as he could see the many servants of the house going back and fourth in the large mansion, which was lucky because he did not have to burden his faithful maids and butlers by having them prepare a meal just for him.

Shaking his head to clear his muddled mind a little, the Machine Duke climbed out of the carriage, then he refused the attentions of the butler who ran up to him, telling him that he should be helping out with the breakfast instead. After all, it was not like he had much luggage, not to mention that he needed some time alone with his own thoughts. Even if the entrance hall and the dining room was only a few paces away, he needed every second of time he could get so he could put together how he would present everything to his family. He knew that they would be delighted, however, he also did not want to just drop the news out of nowhere like an anvil. No, he would have liked to build things up a bit, catch up on what happened during the day, things like that.

When he entered the hall, though, he was surprised to find Conru, his personal butler there. The man was easier older than him, well into his forties, and he had started to serve under his father before the family business was handed down to Sterling. From the earliest days of his life, the tall butler with the black hair and steel grey eyes served him well, so when the time came, he claimed him as his personal assistant. So far, he had absolutely no reason to regret his choice, as Conru was efficient, polite, precise, to-the-point, and he knew about a surprisngly large number of subject. He was more than a mere butler. Both of them knew that.

"It is strange to see you here, Conru," said Sterling as he straightened his tailcoat. "What gives?"
"The former master wants to see you right away," said Conru, gesturing towards the dining room and forming a sign with his hands that told Sterling it was very important. Nodding, Sterling headed there immediately, not even bothering to take his shoes, tailcoat, or any of his clothes off. He would apologise to the servants later, but right now, he needed to see his father, so he quickly opened into the dinining room.

"I am here, father," announced Sterling, drawing everyone's attention towards himself, including the elderly Kenneth Acker, who smiled at his son.
"I see you take business as seriously as usual," he said as he motioned for Sterling to sit at the table. Nodding back at the white-haired man, he took his usual seat and then looked at his father. Although he was not that old, the difficulties of directing an entire business empire have taken their toll on the elderly Kenneth, especially seeing that it was during his time that technological achievements started to bloom like wildflowers. He was the one who laid most of the groundwork for Sterling, and he was the one who was responsible for the so-called Machine Duke's sprawling businesses... Though Sterling was the one who got the credit.

"It takes precedence over many things, father," said Sterling as he settled into his seat, then he hastily added. "But not family."
"Good. Because I am going to make a request of you which involves the family."
"What is it, father?"
"Two weeks from now, I am planning on holding a ball in this castle. I would like you to put business aside for that day," said Kenneth, to which Sterling raised an eyebrow, but he nodded. "I know this is a bit sudden, but Lucia felt left out after you snatched this opportunity from her."
"Of course, father. I just have one small request in return."
"And what would that be?"
"Please invite the royal family as well. If need be, I will pay the expenses from my personal account, but it is imperative that they are here too," said Sterling. and now it was his father's turn to raise an eyebrow. Holding a ball that was up to the standards of the royal family was not exactly a cheap thing, and he knew that his son would not do something like that without a reason. However, before he could ask what the reason was, Sterling held up his hand to stop his father.

"I have a perfectly good reason for this, father. You see, yesterday, a lot of things have happened," said Steling, recalling the night. "And a particular incident with Lord Sade lead to some complications in my plans. To cut to the chase... Father, I am now engaged to the mage princess, Silia." said Sterling. A clatter of silverware informed him of the effect of his declaration, and he did not even need to look up to see that his father, mother and his siblings were staring at him in disbelief. He had a feeling that this would happen.

Silia's parents slowly seemed to get used to the idea of their daughter being engaged. So no one would notice, she wore the gear on a necklace under her dress at all times. Every moment was another moment of agonizing over what to do. She needed to talk to Sterling again. Talking to her parent's, she realized that though they may accept it, they would definitely want to see him. She didn't know if he'd be comfortable with this. Well, that was the case until the letter came in.

My Queen, King, and Princess of the Wolf Throne,
Me and my family cordially invite you to our galla, which will be taking place a week from now. Please do come, for we have much to discuss.
Your loyal servant,
Duke Sterling

Though the letter was short and to the point. It lifted Silia's spirits, even in the slightest of bits. Her parents were reading it over her shoulders and when they'd finished they looked at each other they nodded.

"I'd like to go to this galla. And I'm sure your father would want to go to. Silia, my dear, I'm not sure exactly what went on at our party a week ago, but I'd like you to know that we're on your side, and if Lord Sade was being disrespectful to a loyal subject, they you dealt with it properly, if not a little harshly. I also know your powers were going out of control, and so that may have affected your reaction, but again, we will always have your back."

"I know mom. I know." Silia responded and looked at her father who still looked a little pale. "Father, I'm sorry to put you through this. I promise, I will do everything in my power to figure out what is wrong with my powers, why they go out of control so often. I don't want to hurt you any more. And I'm hoping that Sterling may have the answer, may even be the answer."

"I know daring," her father's voice sounding so weak and tired. "You would do anything for us, just as we would do anything for you. I know you will figure this out, no matter how long it takes. You will not die an early death. We won't allow it and neither will you. We'll figure this out together, all we want is your happiness."

Silia smiled, her father was right. They would figure it out. One way or another. She wanted to see where this path would lead her, where she would be going with this path, this marriage. Would it flourish into a love that would save her, or destroy her? She didn't know, but one thing was for sure. Thing were going to get interesting.

Now she had to make preparations for this ball. She had to wear just the right gown, she couldn't mess anything up, even her hair was to be top notch if she were to survive this ball. She had a week to figure out what she wanted to do with herself. She dismissed herself from her parent's presence so that she could start planing. As so as she entered her room she started raiding her closet, throwing this gown and that gown onto her bed and floor, trying to figure out which one would be just perfect. Her heart was pounding in her head. She only had a week for the perfect look to appear in her mind.

After days of alternating between working and looking for the perfect outfit, she finally found the dress she wanted to wear. It was beautiful, magnificent and accented her quite well. It would give her a glow even magic couldn't give her. It would show her confidence, it would scream out how beautiful she really was. It's golden silk would hold to her skin in the best ways. With red accents, and the most beautiful jewels to match, she would be seen by all eyes. She had pulled her mom into helping her into the gown on the day of the party.

~The day of the ball~

Silia was freaking out. Her parent's were going to meet Sterling, as her FIANCE. And she wasn't sure anymore if her pick of gown was the right one. It was like everything was going down hill, and could only get worse. She was running around the castle in a panic until her mother found her and sat her down in her room.

"You need to calm down, I know your nervous, but my goodness darling." Her mother chuckled a bit, "This shouldn't be much different than any other ball or galla. You are just making a huge deal out of nothing."

"But!"

"Ah ah ah, no but's. You will be fine, and you will be beautiful, and you will be glad for making this dress your choice. Now, " Her mother cooed, "Let's get you into this dress and get going."

"Alright mother." Silia sighed. Her mother was already dressed in a lovely emerald green gown. It was a wonderful color for her mother. Suiting her perfectly, and making her mother look even more regal. Once her mother had helped her into her dress, her mother started to tie her hair up. Their idle talk soon had Silia smiling and giggling. It had been quit a while since she'd been this close with her mother. It was nice, and soon, they were on their way, their carriage bouncing along the uneven road, her father and mother across from her, and she started to get nervous again.

She took many deep breaths, and looked to her parents who's smiles soothed and comforted her. She could do this. She wouldn't mess this up. And all too soon, they had pulled up to Sterling household. It appeared that they were one of the last to arrive, and she smiled at this. It was only appropriate. For it wasn't one of their parties, it was proper etiquette to be late to someone else's party if you were the royal family. Her parent's stepped out first and her father helped her out, and she looked up at the entrance to the manor.
http://tinypic.com/r/m923xd/5

"What?" That was the only word which could escape Kenneth's mouth at what his son told him, because out of all the plausible outcomes, that was one he did not expect. However, before he could question his son or ask how it came to me, Lucia, the eldest daughter of the family interrupted his thought process.
"You finally caught yourself a wife," said Lucia with a grin on her full lips that complemented her long, blonde hair and sea green eyes. "I am happy for you, Steri... But that means I will have to catch up," she said, grinning. Although her comment did not contribute anything to the discussion, at least it lightened the atmosphere a bit, not to mention that it gave Kenneth some time to think.
"How did that arrangement come to be?" asked Sterling's father.
"It was actually a matter of convenience, father," said Sterling, telling only a half-truth. "I had found out a few very interesting facts about Silia during this evening, which lead to us discovering that both of our families have been exchanging letters for a while, discussing a potential marriage. After thinking through the consequences, we have decided that it would be the best if we got married. The marriage already has the blessing of the royal family by the way," he added as a side-comment, knowing that Silia would be able to convince her parents.

"That is fantastic," said Abigail, Sterling's mother, who had been in such a shock that she could not say anything up until now. "I am happy for you, Sterling," she said, wiping a small tear from her eye.
"He gets all the good catches," lamented Lennon, the second-oldest son of the household. "Now what am I supposed to do?" However, his poetic question remained unanswered, so he just shrugged and went back to eating his meal. The two youngest members of the household, Sterling's little twin brothers just stared at him with wide eyes, forgetting that they were supposed to be having breakfast. They would be surely questioning him later, but for now, they were in awe at the fact that their biggest brother was getting married to a pretty princess.

"So..." said Kenneth after a short while. "Now that we know that, are there any requests you would like to make for the party, Sterling?" he asked, however, before the Machine Duke could reply, Lucia intervened.
"Only if he does not steal the spotlight from me again," she said jokingly as she returned to her meal.
"I will be spending most of my time with the mage princess, Lucia," said Sterling with a slight hint of resignation in his voice. "You will get to be the star of the party while I occupy myself with the princess, introduce my family and lead her around the castle," he said seriously as he thought the evening through. "But no, father, I will not be needing anything special. If you decorate the mansion with the best you have, that will be quite enough. The rest, Conru and I will handle."
"I wish you the best of luck, Sterling," said Kenneth, smiling at his son, proud that he managed to achieve something like this.
"I wish you happiness instead," said Abigail with a bright smile. "I hope you will find bliss with the mage princess."
"Only time will tell if I do," said Sterling, not wishing to comment on the situation. He knew that his mother was a bit like Silia in that she believed in love, but she also believed that with time, one can come to love person. He did not want to hurt her feelings by telling her that the marriage he arranged was a purely political one, and if he had anything to say about it, it would probably stay that way. After all, disgracing the mage princess was something he would never do, not to mention that even though her ideals of love were hopeless, he would not stand against them if she found someone whom she loved and he was in the way. Because that was the duty of a Sterling.

The rest of the breakfast went by fast, with him talking about business or everyday things with his family, treasuring what little bit of free time he had left before he had to begin the preparations with his trusty aide. He enjoyed these peaceful times and he even endured the questionings of his little twin brothers with a smile as he ate with his family, knowing that these moments were the most precious ones in his life, when he was with his family, without any burdens to carry. However, as with everything, even the breakfast had to come to an end, so as such, Sterling had to say goodbye to his loved ones for the moment. As always, after breakfast, business called him, so he was not likely to speak with his family for the rest of the day. Only on very rare occasions did he have the time for dinner or lunch with them.​
* * *​
The ball was simply magnificient, Sterling had to admit as he looked at the mansion's richly decorated grand hall. His father really outdone hismelf with the decorations and he spared no expense to make his vision true, even if it was Sterling's bank account that ultimately suffered the most. But the Machine Duke did not mind, because the end result was truly amazing. Every single corner of the grand hall has been thoroughly cleaned by the staff of the house for the event, even the smallest and most insignificant damages were fixed and new magical lamps were placed both in the grand chandellier hanging from the ceiling and the small lamps along the wall, lighting the place in almost-natural, white light which allowed everyone to bring the best out of their makeup, illusion magic or dress. But at the same time, the light helped to accentuate the features of the hall.

A grand room spanning several dozen meters in all directions, the hall of the Acker family certainly looked impressive, with its high-class materials and the exceptional craftsmanship responsible for many of the intricate details. The floor was made out of painted oak wood inlaid with magically enchanted, black-and-white-and-grey marble which seemed to form a complex, intertwining pattern on the floor, however, there was actually no pattern to it at all if one looked at it from the top of the balcony. However, at certain spots on the floor, a pure, non-magical marble plate was placed, with the AckerFamily's coat of arms literally burned into them by some form of ancient, now-unknown magic. It was a strange, but also elegant sight, not to mention that it provided a good contrast against the ceiling, which was nothing but the Acker coat-of arms with the large chandellier hanging from the centre. However, the beauty of the hall did not end here as at the centre, there was a staircase adorned by a wooden fence with gold engravings on it. Naturally, the staircase was covered by a red carpet to prevent its marble surface from scratching too badly. The balcony on the second floor of the grand hall was also nothing short of impressive, especially given that it supported two more staircases for a third level, from which one would be able to enjoy the magical lights of the chandellier to its fullest. Still, the room would not have been complete without the huge dinining tables, lined with expensive and richly decorated tableware, a transparent curtain separating them from the part of the hall which was intended for dancing. The dancing part of the room glimmered with faint magic, as it had a spell applied on it that made slipping very hard and it also protected the expensive floor tiles from being damaged, yet it would not interfere with the mages who would attend the party.

Nodding brightly at the spectacle before him, Sterling took a look at himself. He was wearing his favourite, grey tailcoat that became a trademark of his when he was dealing with businesses, the one which had the Acker coat of arms embroidered both into the front and the back. A darker, almost black trim complimented the tailcoat, subtly emphasizing the light grey buttons with rich engravings on them. For this night, the Machine Duke chose to wear grey, thin gloves that were easily to take off and put on, as well as a moderately dark shirt with a dark blue tie. It really complimented his features well, his short, chestnut brown hair and his piercing steel gray eyes matching and balancing the outfit, emphasizing the best features of his face. Patting his left pocket to make sure that the engagement ring was still there, Sterling felt satisfied with the work that the household's servants have done, watching the grand work from the second floor of the balcony, waiting for a certain someone to appear as his father greeted the arriving guests.

Finally, after what seemed an eternity to him, she, the mage princess Silia entered through the great doors of the mansion... and his breath was taken away despite himself. The dress she chose must have cost her a fortune with its rich golden colours and patterns, not to mention that it was surprisingly daring for a mage princess like her. Then again, she was highly unconventional with her tactics and strategy, but her methods seemed to work well just as Sterling experienced himself on that particular night. She was truly a mage princess, not some puppet who was raised to be married off to another person despite the rumours going on around her.

"Her and His Royal Majesty, The Queen and King of the Wolf Throne, and their daughter, the Mage Princess!" said the announcer, but Sterling was already well on his way down from the balcony. Meeting her was his first priority for the evening.​

Status
Not open for further replies.