The Princess and the Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Silia moaned processing his words. He was asking her what he could do. "I... don't know, Sterling. It's... never gotten this bad before." she rasped. " i lost my focus for to long... " she coughed lightly. Shifting slightly on the bed she turned her head to Sterling and gave him a weak smile. "I'm sorry for putting you under this kind of pressure. It.. can be dangerous for you..." She reached out a hand and placed it on his.

After a short silence she tried to sit up a bit, "can, you help me drink that water. It won't hurt to have more liquids inside me.." She waited for him to respond and help her drink the cool liquid. She took a deep breath after taking her drink. "Thank you." she felt her head clear a little bit. But it wasn't enough, she felt really weak.

That was when her father knocked and stepped in. He quickly walked to the other side of the bed, a worried look on his face. He took her other hand in his, instantly a look of fear took over his face. Silia smiled weakly at her father. "Father please, I'm fine, I just need some rest."

He shook his head and finally spoke,
"Silia, whatever is going on with you're body, you are loosing your magic at to fast a rate, if you fall asleep now you might never wake up."

Silia now started to look scared, "N...no way... bu..but ... papa..w..what do I do?"

To say that the current situation was bad would be the understatement of the millenia, especially after Sterling saw Silia's father enter and tell her the simply horrible news, which made him shiver. He was not sure if that piece of news was supposed to help Silia or not, but he was sure that whatever he did to help her until now was completely insignificant, and did not matter in the long run, and this almost made him snap. If there was one thing in the world that he could not stand, it would be being helpless in a situation that was the result of his own actions, being unable to influence the turn of events around him. For as long as he could move even a tiny blade of grass, there was still hope that he would get out of the situation, but right now, he could not move anything. Whatever was happening to Silia, it was so outside of his area of expertise that he would just make things worse instead of making them better.

But of course, he simply could not let that happen, so he started searching in his pockets for something that may be of use. Naturally, he found nothing except some notes he kept for himself, a handkerchief and... Damn it! He almost cursed out loud as he dragged his hand out of the pockets of his tailcoat, somehow managing to bring his watch with them. The watch landed on the floor with a sharp sound, indicating that the glass on its face broke and the mechanism inside was most likely dead from blunt trauma. Sterling did not care though, he simply continued searching for something that could help Silia in this situation, that is, until her father suddenly spoke up.

"Is that a moonstone in your watch, young man?" asked Silia's father, pointing to the watch on the ground. On the back of the watch was the simplified coat of arms of Sterling's family, masterfully crafted from a milkyy white, almost transparent gem: A two-headed eagle clutching a cloud, behind which were four swords representing the four cardinal directions.
"Yes, it is," said Sterling, who somehow managed to keep his voice relatively calm in this crisis. On the inside, though, absolute panic overwhelmed him as he franctically extended his search to his own knowledge, trying to find a technological solution to this magical problem. He was so occupied by this, that he did not notice when Silia's father picked the moonstone up, then he moved it into a specific spot over Silia. The next thing Sterling knew was that unpronouncable syllables started to pierce his ears, making him grasp his head in pain.

A tremendous amount of undefined magical energy filled the place, which then formed into geometric patterns over Silia with some of the lines wrapping themselves over her clothes or skin. Ludicrously complicated patterns emerged from simple, straight lines that somehow curved themselves into various shapes. Unfamiliar symbols engraved themselves into thin air, slowly forming together into an impossibly accurate, almost real representation of a wolf horde, then everything as the wolves disappeared into Silia's body, then the moonstone cracked with a loud snap, shattering into small pieces.

Of course, Sterling had seen nothing of this as he was too busy trying to get over the aftermath of the supernaturally strong headache that came with the strange words.

Silia seathed and writhed when her father used the magic on her. Tears were falling from her eyes and her mouth open in a silent scream. She could hear howls ringing through her ears as pain wracked its self through her whole body. She breathed hard as the pieces of moonstone shattered onto her chest. She let out a howl, and it sounded so much like a wolf it scared not only her, but her father as well. Tear's kept falling and she kept murmuring the word sorry over and over again like she would never be able to say it enough.

Suddenly she got really quiet, and she looked around, from Sterling to her father and back again. She was hearing things, and she wasn't liking what she was hearing. Though there was an obvious change, she didn't look so pale anymore and she looked, almost healthy. She turned to Sterling, he didn't look well, was it something she'd done? Was it the magic? Some people couldn't handle strong magic when it happened right next to them. Was that what happened to Sterling.

Silia took a deep breath and reached out to him, grabbing his hand and soothed her hand over his. He would no longer feel the burning sensation that she'd been giving off before. She looked at him with a bit of worry, though she herself still looked unwell. "Sterling.... I'm sorry, this shouldn't have happened, wouldn't have if I'd been paying more attention to my emotions and such. You should go to one of the guest bedrooms and get some rest, it is already dark out and isn't it an increadibly long journey back to your home? Please feel free to stay here, you are a guest of the court after all." Her father just noded and then left the room looking tired. Probably from using such an old form of magic.

The cacophony was finally gone. The cacophony was finally gone! Sterling almost laughed out loud in his relief as the fog of pain lifted from his mind, but he managed to restrain himself in the last second as he reminded himself of just whose presence he was in. Naturally, the first thing he did was to look around and check on Silia, who now looked a lot better than before, while her father looked utterly exhausted, with the watch of Sterling in his hands. He did not know what to make of that, but Silia's father merely handed the watch back to him, which was now missing his family's coat of arms on its back. For a brief moment, he wondered what could cause that, then he wrote it off on the account of magic. While he knew the theories of magic, he never really managed to understand the practice.

Suddenly, Silia grabbed his hand and spoke to him words that reminded him of the time, so he checked his watch. Luckily, the device proved to be extremely resilient, so he could read the correct time. Only a relatively short period passed since he has entered the castle, but it was too early for him to do as the princess suggested. Seeing that Silia's father had already left the room, he figured that he had his consent. In turn, that meant that Silia's father trusted him for some inexplicable reason, and that, in turn, meant that even if his primary plan failed, he might have gained some support amongst the mages. He almost smiled at that thought, but he put his thoughts back into order, reminding himself that he had made enough large games for the day. He would have to do with small ones.

"My lady, the night is still young," said Sterling as he considered his option. "It would be a disgrace to your honour to leave such a well-composed party after I have spent only so much time enjoying myself. Furthermore, it would be a disgrace to my honour if I left you alone in this place with nothing but your thoughts, and in possible danger. Even if my reputation might be soiled, I care not, for it was I who put you in danger, not the other way around. Please accept my humble apologies," said Sterling as he made a small bow. "I will leave this room if you wish to rest, my lady, but I would rather stay in your company. I feel like that despite the glory of this evening, you have yet to enjoy yourself thoroughly, and as this event has rendered you bed-ridden, I feel that it is my duty to keep you company," said Sterling with a slowly growing smile.

A game of cat and mouse, or more likely, cat and cat, would never hurt.

Silia smiled right back at Sterling. Laying back down into her beds warmth and comfort, she let out a sigh and chuckled. "You know, we can stop with all these formalities, there is no need for them. We just saved eachother's lives in a sense, even if the other was the cause of it. I know we have been raised to speak "the right way" in courts, and with you probably your buisness partners, but I see no sense in it. Why put on airs about who you like and who you do not like, I think it is counter intuitive, do you not?"

Silia squirmed a bit, and she readjusted, sticking her legs under her covers, for some reason she was ungodly cold. She pulled the cover up to just below her chest. She placed her hands together on top of the comforter. She kind of looked like, if she had her eyes closed, like that princess from myth, sleeping beauty or what not. Ready for the taking, in need of saving from her eternal slumber. But she was not sleeping, she was just laying there, looking at the ceiling, as if in deep thought.

"You know, I think I would like your company, until I fall asleep of course. I would not want to keep you here all night. So many things could go wrong there, so I do wish you to leave when you know I am asleep. Go ahead and tell the gaurds when you leave as well," She sighed, "that I will be in need of door protection, letting only you, father and mother into my rooms for a while." she nodded, as if she had convinced herself she was doing the right thing. She reached over to the bed side table and grabbed something. A locket, circular shaped, with wolves engraved into the outside. "If they ask your authority on the matter, show them this." she placed it in his hand. "They will know that the orders are directly from me, and that you are within special priviledges."

For a split second, Sterling's thought processes grinded to a halt, but then they resumed without a hitch. He should have expected Silia's response to his courtly behaviour. After all, she has displayed general honesty several times before, not to mention that she seemed to have a bit of a trouble with the noble way of life. That is, if she was not just playing a game with him, but as soon as that thought entered into his mind, Sterling promptly threw it out of a mental window. He doubted that someone who just barely survived an incident like that could spare the effort for games, but then again, maybe he was just oversimplifying everything, so he kept his guard up. He was also surprised at her response that she would like him to remain, but at least that gave him the opportunity to play his game even more.

However, what he truly did not expect was that Silia would hand him a family locket, thus trusting him with her own authority over the palace, and what is more, over the kingdom. For even if a mage princess did not hold true power, her word was still powerful and her support was undeniable. He could have just taken that locket right there, run off with it, then get all the support he needed. But that was not a good long-term plan, as he would undoubtably get caught by the royal guard. Still, it showed him that the princess trusted him for some reason, even though he did not do anything that would earn her trust. According to her words, he saved his life, but in the end, it was her father who saved her, was it not?

He was not going to let go of that opportunity, though, but he had to consider his response to her request carefully. He could not arrive at a correct conclusion though, so he decided to speak his mind, not caring of the consequences. The whole night was a catastrophe anyway, at least as far as he was concerned, unless he somehow managed to miraculously turn everything around. Which was not likely.

"On the contrary, my lady, it is my opinion that proper manners and proper speech show respect to those that are above you, or to those that you respect yourself. Not only that, but it also shapes the mind and puts thoughts into order, as they are required to follow certain patterns that have been determined by our ancestors. In a sense, we are but following the tradition that thousands of others have laid down before us, the tradition of using the right words with the right people in the right context. And if you are talking about maintaining appearances, my lady, I assure you that if one is keeping a mask between himself and the others, that mask will ultimately fail, making the fall even greater when the one wearing the mask is disgraced," he said, then paused, realising that his masquerade probably broke some time ago. Not like it mattered now, though, for he had already lost.

She smiled at him and pressed the locket into his hands harder, "Sterling this may be forward of me, but I must say. For a handsome guy such as yourself, you are wise beyond your years. You sound quite like a old man, the way you talk about talking as if it is sacred." She smirked and giggled. "But you must know.. i'm not only giving you a way around the castle. I'm placing my life in your hands. Both litterally and figuratively Sterling. And as you see, there is no hesitation in my actions. For I feel that there is no sense in people thinking you are some monster just because you wish to make changes to our world."

She tilted her head and moved her hands from his and breathed sighing for a moment. "IF you decided to. You could easily do most anything to me. That locket, in essense, is my life." She looked to him, a strange pain filling her eyes. "It is more than just some special heirloom. It is a piece of myself that i tried to throw away, but i never could get rid of." She looked back down at the bed, "So i'm giving it to you." She put her hand up to make sure he let her finish, "I would give it to you even if i didn't trust you. Because, you stirred something within me that only one other person has, and because i wasn't ready for it, i got sick fast."

She looked back up at him and waited for the response, the most likely shocked Sterling, would give her.

Complete and utter silence followed Silia's statement as Sterling tried to process what has been said to him. His thought processes came to a halt, his heart might have skipped a beat or two in his absolute astonishment and he felt as if his brain literally froze for several seconds. He thought that he had prepared himself for every situation that could occur tonight, but the one that just unfolded in front of him was absolutely unexpected. It quite literally reduced him from what he was to a miserable pile of blabber and confusion. Fortunately, he had enough of his self-control remaining to keep his mouth shut, but the expression on his face must have been priceless as Silia's words finally reached his soul.

The moment he finally understood what was just said to him, he almost laughed out loud, but he bit down on his lips to prevent even as much as a whimper escaping from his lips, for that would have been simply rude of him. Silia would have surely taken that as a sign of mockery, when in reality, he was just feeling both extremely stupid and extremely revealed as he realised that during this whole evening, he was playing a game to acquire something that he already had from perhaps the very beginning. Even if he did not have the princess in his hands like he planned to have her, she just demonstrated her nearly unshakeable trust two times in succession, not to mention that she seemed to be completely supportive of his ways. In the end, he was playing the game with himself by thinking that everyone was like that, even outside the business world, while there was someone in front of him who was completely honest to him.

Well, maybe not completely honest as he imagined that she still had quite a lot of secrets, but she was definitely open and she seemed rather ill-suited for political situations where there was always much deception. He imagined that she must have been blessed wuth quite a sharp mind and perhaps some luck to have survived high society for so long, or maybe she was just inexperienced. Regardless of what was the cause though, he could not deny the importance of his breakthrough. There was no feeling like opening the door to a person's personality, but this time, he knew that he could not abuse the trust that Silia gave him. If he wanted her support, he had to keep up his end of the deal and he did not intend to turn the whole kingdom upside-down anyways.

"My lady," he said finally as he recovered from the shock. "The trust that you place in me is simply astonishing. I must say that I have never met someone quite like you, someone who opens their heart so easily as to what others have to say. Even though you claim that I have saved your life, I have done nothing but my duty and I am not worthy of the locket you are wishing to give to me," said Sterling, handing the locket back to her. "I am simply undeserving of such a treasure that holds both a part of your soul and a part of your authority, even if the memory held inside this object is painful to you. By taking it, I am feeling as if I am robbing you of your life," he said, hoping that he did not overdo it.

She just sighed refusing to let him give it to her, she shook her head. "Sterling, i know my castle well enough to know that they will not let you out of this room or into it with the safety i require for you." She did not waver when she looked at him. "I'm giving this to you for the very reason that even if the item is away from me, it will always be with me." she points to her heart. "nothing will change that. And i know it. But i can take comfort in the fact that someone else is taking care of it for me for the time being. Please, do this for me, ease my mind, in just the slightest Sterling, with this simple action of holding onto this locket for your own safety." She smiled a bit.

"And as to the fact that you think you didn't save me. Where do you think the stone on your watch went? It didn't dissapear for no reason." She giggled a bit. "so though my father may have done the work, it was you, and the feelings you had while holding the watch that saved me, pulled me from the depths of my own mind. I don't mind if you don't believe me. Most nonmagical people find it hard to understand all the components of magic. But that doesn't matter. I know in my heart, that you saved me, even if you don't think you did." she put her hand over her heart smiling at him, her face starting to regain more of its natural color.

She looked at him a moment in contemplation. What was going through his mind, that he felt so inclined to refuse her every step of the way. Was that why she felt so connected with him from the start.. She thought abit more about it. But what exactly was the connection, and why did it effect her so harshly? All things she would probably figure out later, though she wanted to know now. But that didn't matter did it. She was in the present, and she was no psycic. She couldn't look into some crystal ball and see the future. She had to wait and see like everyone else.

For a long while, Sterling mused on the words that Silia told him, and in the end, he decided to believe in them for the moment. He already knew the core principles of magic even if he could not use them, and what he knew did not contradict the facts that he learned during his studies, not to mention that from the words of the mage princess, he knew that he had her trust. Whether or not it was actually true, he would decide upon going home and looking through his personal library on magic, as small as it might have been, because not one member of his family has ever used magic. His lineage was proud of that, having achieved such high status through sheer effort, cunning, planning and thought, but as a result, they never managed to get their hands on tomes about magic.

Still, for him, it did not feel quite right for Silia to place so much trust in himself as she did, because while he may have demonstrated such loyalty to her, there were many layers of deception he could have hid under if he were such a man. He doubted that she thought on as many levels as him, though, something she would have to learn as she got more used to high society... Or perhaps she was one who could judge one's character through completely honest interactions. Sterling could not tell, but he knew he needed to warn her about such things, even if she was already told to be careful.

"My lady, the trust you show is simply astonishing. If you wish so dearly that I hold onto this locket, then I will do so and obey you as your faithful servant," said Sterling as he stood up from beside the bed. "But my lady, are you not too quick to give your trust to others? I may have saved your life if what you say is indeed true, but perhaps it was just all a part of my plan to end your precious life with an unexpected move," said Sterling, looking deep into Silia's eyes. "Politics and business are full of intrigue, and I fear that if you continue to be so trusting with others as with me, you may become a victim of it," he said, then he decided to elaborate on his point.

"Forgive me if that sounded like something one would say to a child, but after today's evening, I feel as if your experience in the world of cunning is quite lacking. Your words, my lady, have been nothing but honest, to the point and precise. I urge you to unlearn this behaviour as fast as plausible, my lady, for you will hold your position not for long with this attitude. High society, especially the society of business that I live in, does not take kindly to showing weakness, and there are always plans within plans that are in turn, built on even more plans, the conditions of which are plans. Seeing through this maze requires skill, a keen eye, a keen ear, not to mention that one needs to decieve the enemy at all times. Honesty can only get one as far until the other realises that they are speaking their mind."

"By entrusting this locket to me today, lady Silia, you have given me a fraction of your power, and thus, a fraction of your support," continued Sterling, contemplating the results of today. "Even if it is but symbolic, you will be associated with me, the one known as the Machine Duke, the one who always lives in the life of intrigue, business and politics. Forgive my words, my lady, but as such a fragile, inexperienced flower, will you be able to take what is directed towards you?"

She looked at him astonished at first. Was her really scolding her for being trustworthy. The fool, that is how you get people in the first place. If you always tell the truth, the few times that you do strech it out a bit are believe able. Truth is actually your greatest weapon in a world where people lie cheat and steal, cause no one expects you to do any of those things. She smiled and shook her head. But still listened to his rant on how she should act in public. It was actually quite entertaining to her, and she didn't hide the fact. What would be the use of hiding her amusement? Nothing of great improtance. She wondered if she should tell him about why she tells the truth or humor him by saying she would be a little more careful. Even though she was already as careful as a cheetah stalking it's prey.

She was one of those people, that could tell by body language and the look in someones eye, if the person she was talking to her hated her, liked her, had a sexual intrest in her, needed something from her, or multiple of those things. Which did happen a lot, and there were other feelings too that she could read, but those happened less often. So she tended to ignore them unless they were life threatening. Oh she could be a coniveing B**** if she wanted to. But she refused to be that way unless she had to. And right now, she didn't have too. She didn't have a reason. Even as the next in line for the Grey Wolf throne, she did not really fear for her life either. Cause even when she was asleep, she was pretty safe, seeing as she was a light sleeper and even the littlest noises could rouse her from her slumber. Not to mention the fact that her father, who was originally a street rat, taught almost every dirty little trick she knew when it came to knife fighting and then magic.

Though she was confident in herself, she knew other people didn't really know this. And so of course they thought her weak and after her display today, they had a right too. But that was also good for her. It meant people would underestimate her. So when he went on to talk about her connection with him, since he was accepting the locket, she smirked a little. "You think I would have given the locket to you without knowing, and accepting the repercussions Sterling? And really Sterling, have you heard none of the rumors about me? I'm tougher than that fragile flower you saw me as today. What happened today, is a rarity that you ever see me that fragile, and I'm almost sorry you had to see me in that state. But Sterling, know this, I'm better at politics and all that than you think. Heck, others are actually afraid of my skill to gain a persons trust with the ease that i seem to have."

She smiled at him and nodded, "Sir, thank you for all you have done, and I hope you have a wonderful stay here." She paused for a moment, "And Sterling..." she looked at him in the eyes a moment, "You are highly mistaken if you think that I trust everyone off the bat. You are one of the few exceptions to that rule." She kept on smiling as she waited for him to either leave or give a response. Or maybe do both. She still couldn't get an exact read on him. Even so, his threats hadn't really scared her, she could tell he didn't mean them.

Suddenly, a piece of the puzzle clicked into its intended place in Sterling's mind, and everything came together as he realised that he was right in the first place. This was merely a trap, an act that was intended to make fals impressions on those who were willing to overlook the fact that Silia was the royal family's daughter. The rumours that went around the palace served their purpose well, presenting Silia as if she was completely powerless. She herself added to that illusion as well with her seemingly brutal honesty and the fact that she seemed to trust people so easily, while in reality, she was playing a game of cat and mouse with them. He did well to be as careful as he was, for if he had thought anything less of Silia or her family, he would have fallen into that trap as well.

He had to admit that it was a clever trap, as it ensnared even him when he decided to drop his cautious approach, putting it behind his oath to serve the Wolf Throne, the king, the queen and the mage princess. Most nobles, like him, expected plans within plans, deception within deception, games in games, yet this was but a single layer of intrigue that served very well against these layered games. He had to remind himself of the old adage: "Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer." It was most certainly true, he thought, for it was such an effective tactics against his kind that not even he had thought of it.

"I apologise if my words have offended you, my lady," said Sterling as he bowed slightly. "It seems that I have forgotten one of the basic customs that rule the battlefield, one of the oldest sayings that are passed on between people. Trust is a deadly weapon indeed, and in the hands of one who knows to use it well, it is mightier than the greatest mage. I must admit that even though I am used to these games, I was ensnared by your web of deciet, my lady, something which not many have managed to do since I have started living as the Machine Duke," he said, putting the locket into the inside pocket of his suit.

"Thanks to you, my lady, I have learned a lesson that I should have not forgotten in the first place. It warms my heart to know that both of us have so much mutual trust for each other that we can share our own way of deception between each other, and that it lead me to a new discovery. Once again, I apologise that I have believed those rumours about you that made me think you were weak, and furthermore, I am deeply ashamed that I have tried to teach you the ways of high society, the ways you are so well-versed in, my lady. However, my advice still stands. Seeing through the veil of deception that others wove is not an easy task. Therefore, one should be careful if they intend to anticipate the Black Widow that lurks in the corner of the web, awaiting its prey."

"But let us turn ourselves away from such grave topics," said Sterling as he lightened up, deliberately railroading the conversation into something else. "It is high time we have turned our eyes away from politics, for such topics are best left discussed outside of such a well-made room. So, my lady, how are you feeling? Will you be able to return to your former self this evening?"

Silia smiled at him. That he was even saying such things meant that he understood AND still cared for her safety. This was all the proof that she needed. She heard each of his words, and let them register in her mind. He had appologized for his imbicility, and unthoughtfulness. That was rather addorible of him. And he was pointing things out that she'd already known. But some things he was saying made her think for a moment. Just how hard was his life. How on guard did he have to be all the time? She hadn't meant to decieve him. She hadn't wanted to decieve him. She looked at him. Wondering if he understood that. Willing him to know that nothing she said to him was a lie.

And was that a slight bit of annoyance in his voice, was he angry that he 'fell into her trap' so to speak? Angry that she was reteaching him the basics? What was that undertone in his voice that made her want to scream. And still he's trying to make her see his way. She was about to comment on it to him. But he quickly drove that conversation off it's rails. She looked at him, trying to get a read on this man, but he was almost out of her reach. Why would he worry about her safety like this. No, she must not think on this matter while he was sitting there, cause she knew she had a tendancy to space out, and he'd ask her what was the matter. She would feel oblidged to tell him every thought on her mind. And that was a bad bad thing.

"I'm much better thank you. Though I am a bit parched, I'm sure that I will be back to my former self in no time." she tilted her head a bit. Her hair falling in its gorgious curls over her right shoulder. "What about you? you seemed to have adverse reactions to the magic that my dad was performing. Are you okay?" She looked at him. Genuinely worried for him. Cause those who aren't used to magic being performed around them, especially high magic, could be harmed to the point of no return. Brain damage, blindness, and defness are only some things that could happen.

"I am all right, my lady," said Sterling as he moved every single joint in his body to make sure that all of them were in place. "I never quite experienced something like that, though. Your father must have been using some very strong magic, or it was my own attachment to the watch that lead me to experience that..." His voice trailed off as he realised he had no words for describing what he felt during those moments. It was as if an eternity of hell and heaven was combined, as if he was both suffering from undending torment and enjoying the unending paradise. Perhaps a mage could have described it, but he did not know the terms that they used amongst themselves for their own experiences.

"... That simply indescribable feeling," said Sterling, his voice growing uncomfortable. "However, aside from the shock and the fact that I keep wondering how to describe those moments in their ridiculous nature, I am perfectly fine, and I am glad that you have recovered just as well," smiled Sterling, then he took a deep breath to clear his mind of the bizarre memory. "If you would allow me to, my lady, I would like to ask you a question. I ask you, however, that you do not get offended by it, because as probing or rude as it may sound, it is only my personal curiousity that drives it. So, my lady... For a mage, you seem to have a rather good opinion of machines, which are seen by many as if they were replacements for mages. Might I ask why are you of that opinion and what drove you to realise that machines are but tools which exist to be used by people?"

He really hoped that he did not go overboard with his question, for even if he had won the game before it started, he could still lose the prize. However, he wanted to know what could have convinced the mage princess herself to throw her prejudice away, for such a thing would be quite useful in his business. It could be used to show mages that magic and technology were two concepts that needed to co-exist. After all, if the early civilizations had not known magic, they would have fallen to the creatures of the wilderness. But if the new civilizations and cultures do not embrace technology, then their dependence on their own power will cause their downfall, because an empire built on a single pillar will collapse when the pillar itself collapses. However, an empire that is built upon two, similarly strong pillars will stand proud until the end of time, for even if one pillar crumbles, another can be built while the remaining one supports its infrastructure.

Silia was smiling, glad to hear that he was okay. Though he was leaving her curious, she would have liked him to at least try to explain it. But she knew she shouldn't push it. Maybe at another time she could offer him some help? He seemed like he really would have liked to put it to words but again, before she could really say much about it, he changed the subject yet again. She kept on smiling and heard him out. She had known something like this would come up. And she was pretty prepared for her answer as well.

"As a child, I was curious, as most children are, about how things worked. Why a toy did this or that, or how a human walked. The mechanics of life so to speak. But unlike other children, I was overly zealous about it, and I took to actually studying thest things. I would take toys appart only to put them back together. I even went so far as to make a mechanical gear and wire version of an arm once. Haha, the things I'd do just so i could learn a thing or to about something was amazing, I probably still have the plans for many of my projects around here somewhere."

She paused for a a bit. "But then, we learned that I was a mage, and that's where it went awry. I started getting more and more classes, trying to learn how to control my magic amd such. But for the longest time I hated it, because it took me away from my research on how things worked. But I realized something along the way. I don't remember what triggered it, but I realized, that magic has it's mechanics too. There are all kinds.. Some that have mathmatic and shapes and others not so much that but the idea of constructing something out of nothing. Or transfering a power from one thing to another, shattering the first thing. All the nitty gritty details. And so, I grew to like magic more and more, and I would start to use it with my experiments. Because to me, mechanics are just the non-magician form of magic."

She stopped herself, astonished at how she could just easily say that. "I..I'm sorry Sterling. I must be boring you to death with my life story.. I'll stop." she really was genuinely worried, she hadn't been looking at him, and she didn't turn her head to look at him. She just looked at her hands, trying not to make it obvious that she was avoiding his eyes. Because that would mean she didn't trust him. Right? Or was she thinking to much?

"It really is not a problem, my lady," said Sterling as he shook his head lightly. "But what you said is troublesome for me. In my foolishness, I expected to find an easy way to convince people about how useful machines are, but alas, it seems like your surprisingly excellent upbringing is the source of your inentions. I can not use that to make the mages see my way, and even your influence goes only so far, my lady," continued Sterling with a sour tone. He decided that there was no harm in telling her what his intentions were behind that question, for he guessed that she already knew that he was in dire need of supporters.

"Your past was also not boring to me, my lady," smiled Sterling at the embarrassed Silia. "It is actually quite interesting. I would have expected the royal family to have their children grow up in the presence of only mages so that she does not learn the so-called evils of technology. It is surprisingly thoughtful of your parents that they have invested in such areas, my lady." He then stopped to contemplate his next question or sentence, wondering what else he could say to this young and strong mage princess. For several seconds, he just sat there in silence, staring at nothing in particular as he organised his thoughts and thought of his next move. Now that he had such a big support behind him, his dreams seemed to be not so far away, yet there was still a long road in front of him, lined with ill intentions and intrigue.

He arrived at the conclusion that he had to gather more allies around him if he was to construct the bridge across the Death Valley. The word of the mage princess and the minor nobles that supported him would not be enough, even if he put all of his business empire behind the proposal. And even if it was enough, the mages of the court would surely try their best to collapse the bridge so they could make machines look inferior to their magic. Some of those people would go to extreme lengths to protect their power; assassination and sabotage were certainly not beneath them.

For the umpteenth time in his life, Sterling reminded himself that the game he played was a dangerous one. To support machines and technology in such an era seemed to be insanity and the surest way to get expelled from nobility. They have already branded him as the Machine Duke, after all, so if they were allowed to continue, then he would surely lose all power in the noble circles. With that thought, Sterling reminded himself to invest into some good body-guards and mercenaries if he ever was to start his project, if he ever was to complete that bridge in his lifetime.

She was sligtly surprised at his answer and she looked at him. He still seemed to be spouting things without true knowledge. But she was going to give him a moment's reprieve, just for now, until she could find the lightest way to put it. Instead, she responded to his second statement. "Well, my mother isn't a mage, and my dad didn't know he was originally. So they see the world differently than most may think. Plus they liked that I was keeping myself occupied. I almost never bothered them until I was done experimenting and that was normally to give a report on my findings. Or to ask them a random question or to about life." She paused for a moment as she to was trying to be careful with her words.

She finally figured she should just say what comes to mind. "You know, all mages know how useful machines are. And that's the problem. They are scared that the machines will replace them. Well at least that's what they say. What they are really afraid of, is losing their power, in status and otherwise. Which I find rediculous. I hear it all the time, and if we weren't in court or some such nonsense, I would slap the brutes right out of their skins for being such idiots." she showed an exprestion that was much like disgust as she sat there ready to continue.

"Also, there are actually some mage's who agree with my view on life. Though of course at first I was suspicious, but some of them really do share in my idea's. But they are to afraid to speak out, for they feel that they are too few in number. But they said that they would back me in anything I did. For these people, though power hungry, are power hungry in a different way. Does this please you in any way to know?" She had a feeling that he might have mixed feelings on this information. But she knew that it was something she had to tell him.

For a moment, Sterling thought about Silia's words, then he decided that they only held the truth in them. "You are right of course, my lady. Please forgive my rudeness and the fact that I spoke about the mages like that. I phrased my statement in the wrong way, for it is not being useless that worries most people, but power, and in that you are right," he said, then he contemplated the rest of what Silia just told him. "But to think that there are some mages who are in support of machinery, even if their numbers are so few. I had thought that only a one or two mages would realise the importane of technology, but alas, it seems that I have overestimated my enemies and underestimated my allies."

Of course, the fact that these mages were not willing to step up meant that he still had a lot to do, but at least he was further along than he originally thought. If Silia's influence and the benefits of technology have reached a select few, then it was possible to spread that influence gradually through the mages. What method he could use to accomplish that, he did not know, for the mages would only see demonstrations of technological power as attempts to get rid of them and if he tried to demonstrate that machines were not as capable as mages, then it would be him who lost supporters. He was sure that he could figure out some kind of a compromise, besides the bridge across the Death Valley of course, which showed the world just how important both parties were.

For a second, he thought about telling Silia, then he decided against that. His dream of building a bridge across the Death Valley was still very far away as it required a simply tremendous amount of both mages and ordinary workers. He could supply the ordinary workers, however, the number of mages who were supportive of him were probably somewhere around a few dozen, which was not nearly enough to undertake such a huge project. He had to come up with something which was smaller-scale, yet it still showed people that magic and technology could co-exist in peace, with one's strength complementing the other's weaknesses.

He shook his head at his thoughts. This was really not the time to be thinking of such things, he realised, and his silence must have unnerved Silia as well, so he cleared his throat to lighten the load of the silence.

"I am sorry, my lady, but I got lost in my thoughts. Like I said, this is a wonderful piece of news indeed, for if nothing else, then now I know that mages can be convinced of the fact that machines are not there to replace them. And that, my lady, is a powerful tool which I can use against them in a manner they would never expect, and in a manner not even I know yet," he said, smiling at the last sentence. "After all, who knows what the future holds?"

Silia seemed to be quite relaxed around him now. She didn't feel like she was stepping around tiny glass shards at least. It seemed the shards were a little more visible and maybe that would help her in avoiding them if she just knew exactly what to say to him. But that was kind of hard, seeing as even with seemingly normal person that was. And each person had a different set of land mines. "Mages are like pack animals, they follow whoever they think is strongest, or will lead them in the right direction. Even if it seems to other that that direction is an evil one, or a wrong one, it may be right to them. That is the problem with the way society is sometimes. There are to many individual thoughts, but to me, it is also a blessing. Because all those individual thoughts form a whole knew idea, a new way to make things work. And it makes me wish I could meld all these idea's together, but I still have no clue how to do that. Nor do I think I will ever figure it out." She smiled, though she seemed to have an almost defeated look about her.

"There is no telling what this new alliance will bring to the already wild melting pot. Who's idea's will come forward as the reigning one, and who will begin to break off to join the side that is supposed to be their opponent. So many things happen with what seems to be just the flick of a finger, a slip of the tounge, a wrong gesture. Anything could trigger it, the wheels of change are always turning. But it is our actions that decide which direction it turns." She looked at him thoughtfully as she tried to truely put what she meant to words. Though it didn't feel like she was really placing the words correctly, and she couldn't tell if Sterling was really getting what she meant.

Silia wanted to try to get everyone to work together, with one common goal in mind, but she felt that if she really pushed for it, the farther appart the individuals would get. They would push away from eachother more, and that was exactly what she didn't want. She sighed as she sat there. Why did things have to be so difficult. Couldn't they just all be nice to eachother. Did you have to hate someones guts? Or was it just a reaction of stupidity and selfshielding. Who knew but their wolven ancestors?

She looked at Sterling. This man who seemed to be her answer, the one who she'd been looking for to help her kick start things for real. She was ready to make a movement happen, weather the world was ready for it or not, only time would tell. But the one thing she did know is that she wasn't going to back down from this. Not one bit. She was going to see this new friendship through. Right through to the end, and no one, not even her father and mother could stop her from making this decision. Silia was going to make things different, even if she died trying. With a determined look on her face she nodded. "Sterling, we can do this, even if we have to take it slow, and one tiny baby step at a time. We will find a way to get magicians and mechanists to work together. How we do that is beyond me, but it will happen. It has too, or else the kingdom might eat its self alive from the inside out." She was serious about this. And though she said it now, she did not have a clue if her last words would ring true.

Sterling was surprised by Silia's resolve, for he never thought that the mage princess would be so eager to bring progress, to bring change to her country. Just as she said, it was a great risk to take, because every single action could start an avalanche which annihilated everything that they stood for, so they would have had to walk on eggshells. Still, if the Machine Duke, the mage princess and their supporters teamed up, they would likely present an incredible opponent both politically and economically. The business empire of Sterling was ever-growing after all, always consuming the smaller businesses, taking every opportunity to increase its might, while Silia, although she was mostly just a figurehead, possessed incredible authority. These two, combined with enough support were enough to trigger a revolution... But that is not what Sterling wanted.

A revolution was a terribly unpredictable thing that might end with civil war, and if it carries on for long enough, the collapse of everything that they had built up so far. Every single achievement of mankind could perish at the hands of the scum that took the sword into their hands. Mages and technological experts would kill each other indiscriminately, reducing civilization to a dark age from which there was no recovery. Even if this was the worst-case scenario, Sterling always accounted for the worst-case scenario to make sure that he did not lose more than he intended to lose, to make sure that regardless of whatever happened, he could keep his status as the Machine Duke. From the words of Silia, he figured that she was about the same as him, although she did seem to be a little bit less thoughtful.

"I believe that it can happen as well. It would be unheard of, but then again, the history of the Wolf Throne and this nation does have quite a few unexpected turn of events," said Sterling as he smiled. "However, just as you said, my lady, we will need to be careful with our steps. For now, this locket that you gave me will be quite enough support along with the fact that you have allowed me to stay in your room for so long. It will speak volumes about the trust you place in me, and thus about the value you place in machines, my lady. It will be a subtle, but sure message to the mages that tells them of your stance in the conflict."

"When the news gets to them, they will surely be confused," continued Sterling. "But we will have to wait until they settle down. I do not know the terms of the game yet, and if there is one thing I hate, it is waging a war where I do not know the rules."

Status
Not open for further replies.