2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Historical, Magical, Romance (usually within other genres), Dystopia,.
A soft squeal of delight disrupted the quiet that surrounded manicured gardens of a pristine castle. The shriek was soon followed by a bout of laughter, a fit of giggles, which was carried along on the breeze. It was a warm autumn's day, nearing supper time, with the garden's greenery in the last of it's prime before the cold settled into strip it bare. It was the perfect time to take one last opportunity to create some mischief.

Liliana Bhaltar held her dress skirts a little higher above her ankles as she ran, her servant's boots crunching on the gravel that was laid for the paths in the small-bush maze that lead to the water fountain. Loose tendrils of hair framed her face and brushed her neck, having become free from her cap to keep it all tied back. She threw a look over her shoulder to see where her pursuer was, only the shriek again at seeing how close he was to catching her. She paused, at the fountain after reaching the centre, to spin on the ball of her foot and send a hand crashing into the water to splash him in hopes of distracting him and giving her some time to get space between them so she could hide.

Eventually she came to a stop behind a tall, domed bush, panting softly. Liliana tucked some of the strands of hair back under her cap during her momentary breather, her chest rising and falling rapidly. She peered around the one side, trying to see where her best friend was.

"Ferdinand... where are you...?" She called, walking slowly around the one side of the bush. She bit her lower lip as she grinned, heart pounding with the adrenaline of their cat-and-mouse game. "You haven't tagged me yet... so I guess that means I'm the winner for today-!"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moffnat
Her cheeks flushed at his words, staining them pink as she lowered her gaze at his compliment. "No one in the village, that's for sure." Lily assured him, finally bringing her gaze back up to him, "As for you, I'm sure you'll impressin' more than one person this evenin'." She smiled, reluctantly removing her hand from his cheek, "Now come on, otherwise we'll miss the Festival."

She slipped her hand down to his to entwine their fingers, gently pulling him along. "You needn't worry, Ferdie. No seducin' from me tonight." She laughed with a shake of her head. Lily wasn't even sure she would know how to seduce in the first place. The only time she saw anything akin to sexiness and seduction were from the ladies of the night that stayed close to the tavern or the known whore house.

Soon they were within the throes of it all, lanterns had been lit and different hues of pinks and red were all over the town square where the market usually was. The smell of roasted chestnuts hung in the air, probably the nicest smell to grace the town square all year... except for Christmas. Children, dressed even in their best, ran around chasing each other. Boys chasing down girls to plant fat kisses on cheeks, which was usually followed by a shriek and even sometimes a kick to the shins. Lily laughed at one particular case. Couples of all different ages were gathered, groups of friends and gatherings of family members all stuck together on an evening for love, adoration and affection.

The lights, the gentle music, the cheer of the crowds. Ferdinand absorbed it all. The commonfolk appeared to be writing messages on the lanterns -- those who could write, of course -- and sending them off toward the skies in hopes that their prayers of happiness would reach God. Ferdinand craned his neck to watch the paper lights float to the heavens. Such a romantic gesture. He wondered where this festival originated from, and why the nobility didn't participate.

"Lily," said Ferdinand quietly, a sad smile etched on his handsome features. The light of the lanterns made his hair glow like fire. "This is beautiful. I can't imagine all the festivals and traditions I've missed over all these years, locked away in that castle." He closed his eyes. "I want so very badly to be a part of this city, but I fear they will not accept me. My father's reputation precedes all I could offer them."

Lily looked to him, the smile on her own lips flickering and fading at his saddened expression. Concern soon took place on her face, lips parting and eyebrows knitting together as she came to a stop in front of him. They stood in the middle of the Festival, under the glowing lanterns that both lit up the walkways and that floated in the night sky.

She reached out to take his hands, wanting nothing more than to comfort and reassure him. "You can be, Ferdie. You know what you can do to change and help this city. You've done nothin' but talk about it for the past week, and it all sounds perfect." She squeezed his hands, unable to stop looking at him as he seemed to glow under the fire light.

"I can't promise that it will happen at once, but it will eventually, Ferdie. You just need to give it time, like any other project or wound that needs to heal. Yes, the people have suffered under your father's reign. But you are not your father. You're the furthest thing away from it. If anyone can change this, you can." Lily smiled softly, bringing his hands up to her lips to kiss them.

Last edited:
  • Sweet
The moment his knuckles made contact with her lips, Ferdinand melted into his shoes. She was so sweet. So precious to him. He wondered if she would ever know how much.

Perhaps it was the lights and the music, the atmosphere, or perhaps it was his naive romantic heart. But Ferdinand wanted to kiss Lily very, very badly.

"You shouldn't tease a man like that," he said with a small chuckle, caressing her cheek with his fingertips. "But God, Liliana, you are so very beautiful tonight. Forgive me if that makes you uncomfortable. It would simply be an injustice not to say something."

• Sweet
Reactions: Viverescribere
"Nothin' you do or say would ever make me feel uncomfortable, Ferdie." Lily assured him, her cheeks once more pink at his compliment. She found that it happened a lot lately, being around her old friend. Feelings, once put to one side and left in a box in her mind were once again resurfacing despite Lily's best attempts to ignore and fight them back. She knew it would be reckless to act on them - it wouldn't get them anywhere, not with the rules that were in place. It would only serve to hurt them in the long run.

Her hand reached up to gently latch onto his forearm, stilling there for a moment before gently stroking and stilling again at his wrist. "You've grown into such a handsome and fine man, Ferdie." She breathed, allowing the words to escape. Perhaps it was like him, she was struck by the influence of the Festival they were attending. "Any-- any woman would be lucky to have you as a husband."

Lily dropped her gaze and reluctantly pulled away, but kept a hold of his wrist. Her fingers once more stretched down to entwine with his and she smiled quietly, eyes masking a hidden sadness at her own words. "Let's enjoy this while we can. Although I expect you to come back next year now that you know what you're missin'."

• Sympathy & Compassion
"I will," Ferdinand vowed, squeezing her hand. "And I would very much like to return with you, Lily. I have no desire to attend with anyone else." He placed his free hand on her upper arm. Would she see the true meaning behind his words, the affection for her shining in his eyes?

"I would like to attend as we are instead of hiding," Ferdie added, taking a little step closer to her. "Me, as Duke Aegir instead of a commoner. And you..."

• Love
With him in these peasant clothes, Lily could almost forget about what came between them. The class system. His title. Even with him looking smart in these peasant clothes he still did not look out of place on a night like that night. The majority of people at the Festival had made an effort, so him tying his hair back and smarting up the clothes she provided hardly made him look out of place.

Then his words, beautifully spoken and twisting her heart. It felt like the air had been knocked from her lungs at the look in his eye, the adoration that shone there. Her Romantic, caring, idealistic Ferdie. Lily remained still as he stepped forward, too caught up in the moment to allow her realism get the better of her. Her mind raced with what would happen: would he kiss her? Would she kiss him back?

But the sound of his title, slipping past his lips, slammed into her and that hope and excitement slowly shrivelled within her. "And me as a peasant." She added softly onto the end of his unfinished sentence. Her eyebrows knitted together and a sad smile took place on her lips, "Because that's the truth, Ferdie. I am, and always will be, what I am. There is no changing that. I-- It will never change."

• Sympathy & Compassion
"But it does not have to be so," Ferdinand asserted, taking another step closer. "Liliana, all my life people have suffered because of these rules. What God would allow this? Certainly not the God I was raised to know, one of kindness and justice and love. How can one preach of said God while enforcing corruption from the same tongue?" He squeezed her hand again. "I want to lower these boundaries. The people around us would be ignored by the king, but he is family to me. I could speak for them. I could change things. I want to change things, Lily." Ferdinand removed his hand from her arm and placed it gently under her chin, lifting it ever slightly. "I've been inspired by you."

• Sweet
Her heart raced as he stepped even closer, limiting the space between them. She could even begin to feel the warmth that radiated from him, the scent of the soap he washed with. Lily wanted so very much to believe him, her heart pulling her toward the edge in which she could just tip over and land in his arms. But her head was the lengthy rope that had her tied to a tree, allowing her so close to that edge but never enough for her to fall over.

"You'll be the only noble speakin' such words, Ferdie. You can't go blazin' in there with these wants and wishes. It'll take years of convincin', perhaps the entire reign of your Dukedom and even then... I don't want you to lose allies or trade deals. You never know what people might threaten in the face of change, no matter how good it could be."
Liliana raised her hand to rest on his forearm again, eyes searching his.

"I want to be more than just an inspiration to you." She then whispered, "But I'd never wish to see you lose everythin', Ferdie."

• Sweet
"Then let it be so," Ferdinand replied. "Even if I am the only one to speak sense, the ripples I cause can become great waves. But I must begin somewhere."

Lily's last words were so sweet to his ears, so compatible with the feelings he felt deep in his heart, that Ferdinand dared to caress her cheek with his fingertips, a kind of touch reserved only for lovers.

"Marrying the loveliest, kindest seamstress in all of Aegir would be a good start," he said with an uncharacteristically shy smile. "Do you know where I might find one?"

It would be the fear of the unknown, Lily assumed, that would keep the nobles from agreeing to such a radical change. It was her belief that one could make it in the world, only if the world wished to know them. The world belonged to the nobles, who never wished to know the working class. It was unknown to them what may happen if the poor began to have opportunities - the chance to love one of the rich, to marry and learn and take hold of the silver spoon that was placed in so few mouths.

But the idea still felt too good to be true to Liliana, who was currently melting into Ferdinand's touch as his fingers grazed her cheek. Tension fled from her body, causing her shoulders to drop and a soft sigh to escape her.

"I don't want to see you get hurt, Ferdie. You never know what people may do in order to keep change from happenin'." She eventually spoke again, only for her eyes to widen at his next words. "Don't be teasin', Ferdie." Lily swallowed, "T'isn't kind."

"I wasn't teasing," said Ferdinand, keeping his smile. "But I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, Lily. If I have done so, please say the word. I'll retract my statement immediately."

He stood still, not wanting to further any contact without express permission. If she denied him, he would respect her wishes regardless of his own feelings.

Liliana stared up at him, lips parted to speak but no words escaping. She was still unsure as to how to respond, still believing her beloved Ferdinand to be teasing her. But there was a sincerity to his eyes, a hope glimmering and something in her stomach fluttered.

"You haven't made me uncomfortable."
She exhaled eventually, having not moved herself as if scared anything could break the moment, "I'm just surprised, s'all. But you ain't takin' back what you said, not now."

Ferdinand chuckled. "I wouldn't dream of it." He pressed a gentle kiss to her forehead, yearning for more, but he would not push. He would never forgive himself if his eagerness to be with her ruined such a special night. "Shall we make a lantern, Lily? Write some special words and send them to the heavens? You will have to show me how, of course. I'm afraid I have never done this before."

Biting her lower lip, she reluctantly turned her head to look over her shoulder to where the rest of the festival continued. "I'll show you how as long as you write." Lily glanced back to him with a shy smile, nervous to ever write in front of him. While she could wield a quill, she was embarrassed about how little elegance her letters would have compared to his. It was another thing that Lily was so acutely aware of regarding their position - how could they ever be married? With him holding all the grace and intelligence of a man of his class... while she could barely write, let alone pose as a woman who belonged in his world.

Lily reached out, chasing away those hope-destroying thoughts, to take Ferdie's hand and lead him further into the depths of the festival crowd. Once they arrived, she reached into the inner cloak pocket for the coins necessary to pay for a lantern, receiving that along with a small pot of paint and a dainty paintbrush.

"Let's go over there." She pointed, leading to a table that had an empty spot on the end. Settling there, she laid out their tools, handing the brush to him, "What shall we write?"

Ferdinand eagerly followed Lily, taking a seat at the small table and accepting the brush. "I suppose people traditionally write prayers of love for themselves and their deceased family," he said, "but I want you to choose. I have not lost someone I care for. There is no one waiting for me in the heavens. None but God, that is." Ferdinand smiled warmly to her. "And I insist that you write something as well, Lily. This lantern will not be complete if we don't both participate."

Lily bit at her lower lip, gaze lowering to the lantern and then the ink pot and then to the brush in his hand. Her anxieties rose as he insisted on her writing, stomach twisting at the situation she now found herself in. Then, not to mention, she didn't have anyone to write for herself. She hadn't spoken to her parents in years, she didn't even know if they were still alive. So perhaps a prayer of love for herself. God knew she needed it with what she was caught up in.

"I'll only write as long as you don't look," she compromised, finally looking back up to him. "Perhaps we should write a prayer for ourselves, on either side. I don't know anyone who has died either so that only leaves a prayer for ourselves, right?"

"I suppose so." Ferdinand chuckled. "Lily, you do not need to be self-conscious. I would not judge you for your penmanship just as you would not judge me for my sewing skills -- how can one be good at something they've never been taught?" He brushed her cheek with his fingertips before remembering himself, returning his hand to his lap. "I will wish for love, then. For acceptance. And for the chance to marry you."

He began to write, his elegant script brushing along the edges of the paper lantern.

Her cheeks flushed at his touch, and his words of marrying her. His continuous mention of the potential arrangement was beginning to wear away her walls and the barriers she had created around her heart. The repetition of his desire was beginning to make Liliana wonder if it could actually be possible, especially once he became Duke himself. She dared to allow that sliver of hope enter her heart, and she smiled quietly at him.

Lily watched as he began to write, leaning forward with her chin propped up in hand and the smile warming at the sight of his graceful writing movements.

When it came to her turn, the smile wavered as she took the brush from him and dipped it back into the ink. She leaned over the lantern, brow furrowing in concentration as she slowly began on her work.

Last edited:
Ferdinand watched Liliana move the brush along the lantern, smiling to himself. He adored the crooked, shaky form of her letters. Not because he was making fun of her or mocking her skills, but because it was so very Lily. Her writing was unique. Nothing like the formal script he'd grown up with all his life. He knew she was self-conscious, though, and pulled away to let her finish writing in peace.

"Is there anything special we're supposed to do with the candle?" he asked, taking the little tea light he'd been given and offering it to her. "A prayer, perhaps, when we light it?"