2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Historical, Magical, Romance (usually within other genres), Dystopia,.
A soft squeal of delight disrupted the quiet that surrounded manicured gardens of a pristine castle. The shriek was soon followed by a bout of laughter, a fit of giggles, which was carried along on the breeze. It was a warm autumn's day, nearing supper time, with the garden's greenery in the last of it's prime before the cold settled into strip it bare. It was the perfect time to take one last opportunity to create some mischief.

Liliana Bhaltar held her dress skirts a little higher above her ankles as she ran, her servant's boots crunching on the gravel that was laid for the paths in the small-bush maze that lead to the water fountain. Loose tendrils of hair framed her face and brushed her neck, having become free from her cap to keep it all tied back. She threw a look over her shoulder to see where her pursuer was, only the shriek again at seeing how close he was to catching her. She paused, at the fountain after reaching the centre, to spin on the ball of her foot and send a hand crashing into the water to splash him in hopes of distracting him and giving her some time to get space between them so she could hide.

Eventually she came to a stop behind a tall, domed bush, panting softly. Liliana tucked some of the strands of hair back under her cap during her momentary breather, her chest rising and falling rapidly. She peered around the one side, trying to see where her best friend was.

"Ferdinand... where are you...?" She called, walking slowly around the one side of the bush. She bit her lower lip as she grinned, heart pounding with the adrenaline of their cat-and-mouse game. "You haven't tagged me yet... so I guess that means I'm the winner for today-!"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moffnat
Laughing, Lily reached forward to lightly pat him on the back as he caught his breath. "I thought you would have continued with your trainin' after all these years, Ferdie. Yet you seems as unfit as the drunkards in the tavern." She teased, only to pause at the sight of him in the clothes she had brought.

She gently worried her lower lip between her teeth, eyebrows knitting together. It was odd, not seeing him in the fancier garments that she had now associated him with. His hair tied back, but even then that seemed too clean for a simply peasant man. Once he had straightened, she took a step forward, pausing to ensure he was alright with what she was about to do. Liliana reached up to remove the band he had used to keep his hair back, afterwards running her fingers through his hair to mess up the flame-kissed locks.

Done with her work, she focused back in on them, realising how close they were. Her fingers slowly untangled from his hair, slowly lowering from his head as she simply just looked at him. Quickly, she caught herself and pulled away, shaking her head.

"Uh... shall we-- shall we go? There's plenty to see and I intend to make sure you see all of it as we agreed."

• Love
Ferdinand was struck off guard. His hair, one of the only sensitive parts of his body, and Liliana had run her fingers through it so readily. It made him shiver. Ferdinand tried to maintain composure as he looked down at the beautiful woman before him, his friend, his ally. He saw her in a different light. A sensual one. Ever the lover, he was, but she was more than just a peasant to him.

Ferdinand cleared his throat. "Um, y-yes," he stammered, rubbing the back of his neck rather sheepishly. It was very unlike him to be unsure of his words. "Lead the way, Lily. I'll follow you anywhere. Although, I admit having a fondness for the smell of the bakery I passed in the market..."

Her cheeks were warm, Lily could feel how flushed they were from the moment she had unwittingly created between them. If she could even call it a moment. Her once childish crush may still linger from all those years ago, threatening to manifest into something she knew was dangerous to allow. Yet she couldn't be sure that the Duke-to-be in front of her was experiencing similar emotions. For all she knew, she was simply a friend once again found after so many years apart.

"We'll head to the bakery first, we can get some fresh bread or somethin' for breakfast - I... I haven't eaten yet," Liliana admitted, biting at her lower lip. She turned and began to walk, keeping her eyes on the track for a few steps before continuing: "I won't take your arm today, so don't be offerin' it, people in the village don't do that. It's only nobility who do that. If you have any money, you can pass it to me and I'll keep it safe for ya - pickpockets are everywhere and I didn't-- I didn't have time to sew a pocket into the inside of your shirt for your coins, so I can take any you have to put in my pocket I have inside my cloak." She pulled open the piece of clothing slightly to show him.

"You've got t'listen to me today, Ferdie, okay? If I say to leave somethin' be, you leave it be, okay?" She glanced across to him worriedly, now realising the gravity of the situation. If he accidentally offended someone, or got into a fight, and something bad happened to him... it would be her fault. He wouldn't have his title to defend him today, people would think he was just like them.

• Sweet
Ferdinand soaked up her every word. He handed Lily the rather large coin purse he'd brought with him and resisted the very, very strong urge to offer her his arm, despite what she'd said. He understood why he couldn't. He simply wanted to be close to her.

"What if there are nefarious goings-on that I can stop?" he questioned. "Lily, I can't simply stand by and watch injustice happen. Say there is a rogue guard beating an orphan or a woman suffering the harassments of drunken men. I cannot let such things continue." Ferdinand frowned. "It would haunt me more than you could know."

Nestling his coin purse into her pocket, Lily was slightly alarmed by how heavy it felt in her cloak. It was odd, wrong in a way. Like something she had stolen. She'd never had this much money in her clock before.

"Uh-- yes, yes of course. I understand that you may feel that way, Ferdie,"
she focused back in on his words, suddenly feeling nervous about looking after his money. "But you 'ave to remember, before you could step in and people would 'ave stopped because they recognised you for who you are. But in these clothes, you're just like them, perhaps even beneath them. There would be nothin' to stop that rogue guard throwin' a punch in your direction and you could be arrested yourself."

She glanced up to him again, chewing at her lower lip, "Everythin' you do today will have consequences that you'll not be used to. When your time comes as Duke, you'll be able to stop them then - just remember that."

Ferdinand did not like this. Not a single bit. But he would not put Lily in danger, so he frowned and nodded, following as she led the way to the bakery.

The scents of pastries and desserts did enough to lift his mood. Aegir was as filthy as it had been the day before, but at least the bakery still stood. Ferdinand eyed a swirled roll with sugar glazed over the top. "Oh, Lily, doesn't that make your mouth water? Would you like one?" He turned to her. "Pick anything you like. Don't worry about price."

"My," chuckled the pastry chef as he came to the counter. "You're an ambitious one, ain't ya? Lookin' to get the girl, laddie?"

"Of sorts," Ferdie replied.

Reactions: Viverescribere
Immediately, Lily felt her cheeks heat at the comments between the baker and Ferdie. She lowered her gaze and softly nudged him in the ribs, "Stop teasin'." She murmured, shaking her head fondly. It felt just like it did when they were kids again, and a small smile pulled at the corners of her lips at the thought. Until she remembered why it all stopped.

Instead of dwelling on that, Liliana stepped forward to take a look at the baked goods, taking her lower lip between her teeth as she deliberated. "Can I get that one, please?" She asked, pointing to a puff pastry with chocolate pieces woven within it. Her stomach gurgled just at the mere thought of tasting it. She hadn't been able to afford something like that in a while. Her money had always gone to necessities, not luxuries.

"O'course," said the baker. He handed the two pastries to their intended recipients. After Lily paid, he winked to Ferdinand and said, "good luck to ya, lad. This is a good one."

Ferdinand wasn't sure he liked Lily being referred to as though she were just another pastry on the shelf, but he appreciated the kindness that the comment came from. He thanked the baker and walked with Lily to a small table and two chairs nearby, where he resisted the urge to pull out her chair for her. Too noble, perhaps?

Ferdie looked around. The hustle and bustle of the markets made him almost anxious, but it was exciting all the same. "Is it always so... chaotic?" he asked with a little chuckle. "I feel as though I must look over my shoulder at every turn, and I never know what I'll see."

• Sweet
Liliana decided to ignore the baker's comments, as she typically did with any kind of comment as such thrown in her direction. It was better to keep her head down rather than start any kind of confrontation. So she handed over coins from the pocket of her cloak and offered a smile and a thanks instead, following Ferdinand to a seat.

She sat with her back against the building, body pressed lightly against the sun-warmed glass as she looked out. "Sit as I'm sittin', always make sure your back is against somethin' if you do somethin' like this. That way no one can come up an' pinch your pocket from behind." Lily instructed him softly, taking a bite from her pastry.

Her eyes closed at the euphoric taste of the sweet dough, mixed in with the sharp, dark chocolate pieces. She chewed slowly, not wanting even her first bite to end so quickly. It had been a long time since she last tasted anything so sweet. "This is just...delicious." She looked down at the pastry before taking another bite with a light groan of appreciation.

Warmth then flooded her cheeks as she realised the sound she mad and how she was reacting. "Sorry, it's just... been a while." Liliana laughed a little, looking to Ferdinand briefly before darting her eyes away again to the market. "It usually is... but in it's own way, it's organised. Everyone knows where they must go or who they must see. It always looks like a bit of a dance to me."

"Don't apologize," chuckled Ferdinand, sitting with his back to the building as she had suggested. It was peaceful, sitting with her like this, even with their unique surroundings. "I suppose it is somewhat like a dance, is it not? And I waltzed through this market with Freya, thinking I wouldn't be noticed. I likely stood out to everyone." He rubbed the back of his neck, embarrassed. "I am truly sorry if I caused issue for you, Lily. I hope you didn't have to answer any unwanted questions regarding how tightly I embraced you."

"I think you took a lot of people by surprise yesterday, Ferdie. I think it may have been the first time in the lives of many to have seen a nobleman ridin' his horse through the market like tha'." Lily reached across to gently pat his hand, "As for the embrace, I went straigh' home afterwards to get ready for our dinner, and people were already leavin' the square by the time our conversation was done. No questions were asked. Besides, what business is it of theirs?" She replied, shaking her head. Lily never had time for the nosy behaviour of those that lingered in the taverns or wash houses. They could ask questions but that didn't mean they would get answers.

Her hand lingered over his for a moment, fingertips grazing the back of his hand before she pulled away again. "You won't stand out today, your disguise is impeccable, thanks to me." She teased.

Ferdinand chuckled. "Indeed it is. You have an excellent eye for Aegir fashion, my lady." He took another bite of his exquisite pastry and enjoyed the summer breeze, despite the smell. It was incredible to him, how a man born with every luxury in the world felt more at home with a peasant in the market than he did in his own featherbed. "Where is your favorite place in the city, Lily? Will you show me?" Ferdie turned to her. "I would very much like to see it."

Biting her lower lip, Lily pondered for a moment as to where her favourite place in the city was. She had no idea. She had never really considered it before. Mostly she came into the square for the market to pick up new, cheap thread and fabric or went to work. She rarely ever went to the tavern, only if Charlotte had had a bad day. Most of the luxury shops, like the sweet store or the pre-made clothes she barely visited. The bakery was an exception for when she could afford a new loaf of fresh bread, and they were already there.

Lily finished off her pastry, trying to buy herself some more time to think about the answer to his question. Eventually she brushed the crumbs from her fingers and stood, only after ensuring he was finished too. "Come with me." She smiled, keeping it a secret.

Leading him through the square, Liliana stopped them in front of a toy shop window. Wooden horses, plump teddy bears, perfectly dressed dolls and an abundance of other toys sat on the shelves and stands within, waiting patiently to be bought and loved. Her gaze wandered over them, the corners of her lips pulling up.

"I'm far too old for anything like this now,"
she explained, "But I pass this shop on the way to work, and sometimes I stop to just look in the window. Sometimes I think about how I'd love to buy my own children these sorts of things one day... and others I think about how some of these toys look exactly like the ones we used to play with up in the castle all those years ago."

• Love
Ferdinand smiled warmly at the toys beyond the reflecting glass. He could see the two of them among it all, both as adults through the glass and as children in a memory, happily playing together in secret. It made his heart swell with joy, but his mind became clouded with sorrow. They could never be as they were. Memories could only remain as a reflection, never to be real, forever in the distance.

"Whenever you are with child, I will buy whatever you seek. You will be the most wonderful mother, Lily," he said without looking at her. Ferdinand feared if he did, his composure would slip and he would say something regrettable. "Whatever man becomes your husband will be the luckiest in the world."

• Sympathy & Compassion
Lily paused at his words, gently sucking in a breath and her eyes dropped. "You'll have your own family to spoil one day, Ferdie. I don't think I'd be able to accept your gifts, it wouldn't be proper." She admitted quietly, head turning away slightly as she dwelt on it. For the briefest of moments, Lily envisioned what a child would look like as a result of their union. Undoubtedly the child would have Ferdie's hair, but perhaps her eyes. Ferdie's strong chin but her nose. The child would be strong and brave, but a dreamer and visionary like his father.

Immediately, she put a stop to such thoughts, lips parting as if in shock with herself for being able to conjure up such a strong vision of their child. Lily cleared her throat, glancing back to Ferdinand, "You've set too high a standard for how a man should treat a woman, Ferdie. I don't think I'll ever be satisfied." She teased, trying to move past her thoughts with a playful comment.

• Sweet
Though Lily was being playful, Ferdinand became rather serious. "I won't allow anyone mistreat you," he said in earnest. "Lily, there's no such thing as a perfect man, but I swear to you that you'll find a good match. Someone who will make you happy. You deserve the kindest, gentlest man in Aegir. In the whole kingdom, for that matter." He rubbed the back of his neck awkwardly. "Perhaps I can find a noble friend of mine who is in search of a bride. Though the Church forbids marriage between classes, I always believed that to be a rather outdated policy..."

Had he said too much? Ferdie cleared his throat. "Ah, nevermind. Enough of this. Would you like something from the shop? I'd be happy to buy something for you, if that is your wish."

Her lips parted at his words, body turning to face him as her eyes darted around nervously. Lily gently took his face between her hands, looking up to him imploringly, "Ferdie you must stop." She said softly, "You can't keep sayin' and doin' these things. A noble friend? Marriage? Outdated policies? This is how it has been for years now, you could lose alliances if other Dukes or Barons hear you speakin' in such a way." Worry shone in her eyes, "You can't let that happen. I will be happy, and remain happy, so long as you are safe. Understand?"

Lily didn't dare say that there would only be one nobleman who she could see ever making her happy in marriage. What good would it do for him to know? It would just torment the both of them - that is if he even felt the same way. He spoke of marrying her to someone else, so Lily found it highly unlikely. Which then gave her another reason to bite her tongue, she didn't need the humiliation of rejection.

"No, let's move on. There's plenty for you to see." She answered, allowing her hands to drop from his face with a small smile.

• Sympathy & Compassion
Ferdinand wanted to say more, his idealistic heart thrumming with affection for his long lost friend, but she turned away before he could speak. His eyes will filled with sadness, but he said nothing as they continued on, and she showed him all that she promised.

Days passed. Ferdinand felt himself falling deeper and deeper in love with Aegir despite her flaws, so much that he was determined to fix them. Already his mind was swirling with policy changes, economic restructuring and political relief. All of this, he would accomplish. There was nothing he could not achieve. Even in the face of the adversary that was his father, Ferdinand would triumph. He must.

At the end of the week, by Fate's hand perhaps, Aegir was to hold a festival celebrating love. All kinds of love. Friendships, families, lovers. Ferdinand very much wanted to attend with Liliana. She was the one person he loved most in the world, aside from his mother, whom he could never convince to travel into the bowels of the city she presided over.

No, tonight was for Lily. And Lily alone.

Ferdinand waited just after dusk with his new peasant's garments adorned, standing in their usual meeting spot just outside the gates of the city. He'd recently shaved his face and kept his hair tied back in a long ponytail, hoping to look his best.

God be damned. Was he in love with her?

• Love
On the day of the Festival of Love, Lily did unfortunately have to work during the day. Luckily, however, that meant the day passed quickly. There were plenty of customers in the shop, looking for different bits and pieces of fabric, ribbon or buttons in order to make themselves look the best they could be or perhaps to even create something for that special someone. Clothing items, measured for and made prior to the event, were exchanged for the money that was charged. By the end of it, Liliana was exhausted but thoroughly looked forward to the evening she knew she would be spending with Ferdie.

The whole week with him had reminded her just what they were like as children. Soon she found herself loosening up once more in his company, relaxing as the hours and days went by and she knew nothing bad was going to come of their time together. Not like the last time she ever saw him. They were safe, together, in the town of Aegir with him dressed as a peasant and her... well, just being her. For a handful of moments throughout the week, Lily could almost believe that the impossible could be possible. That perhaps her Ferdie could truly be hers. But Lily, having been forced to be realistic the day she was yanked forcibly from the tree in the Duke's garden, soon got a hold of herself.

When it came time to meet with Ferdinand, Liliana wore her one best dress - the same one she wore to dinner with him a week ago - and allowed her hair to fall around her shoulders. While she knew he probably wouldn't care, she was very conscious of the fact that he would have already seen this dress, but what else was there for her to wear? It was her one best dress... and she found herself wanting to look her best for Ferdie, despite everything she had told herself. She didn't dare dwell on what all these emotions meant, too scared to face the truth.

As she approached him, cloak hood up, her eyes softened and a warm smile appeared on her lips. Lily lowered her hood once she reached him, studying him momentarily, "You've shaved," she murmured, unable to help but reach out to stroke his smooth cheeks, "And you've done your hair. Going for a mixture of peasantry and nobility tonight, are we looking to impress tonight Duke von Aegir?" She teased fondly, her one hand remaining against his cheek.

• Sweet
"There is only one person I seek to impress," he said with a happy smile. It had been too long since he felt such joy. Feeling Lily's hand on his face, Ferdinand could not resist placing his own on her upper arms, his thumbs absentmindedly brushing back and forth. "You look beautiful tonight, Lily. Perhaps it is you who intends on impressing someone?"

He did not mind that she had worn this dress before. Ferdinand was not so materialistic as most nobles. She was beautiful to him in any garment she'd worn thus far, whether it be rags or otherwise.

"Tell me who it is you intend to seduce," chuckled Ferdie. "I shall duel them for your heart."