2. Adept
  3. Advanced
  4. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Female
  3. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Fantasy, Historical, Magical, Romance (usually within other genres), Dystopia,.
A soft squeal of delight disrupted the quiet that surrounded manicured gardens of a pristine castle. The shriek was soon followed by a bout of laughter, a fit of giggles, which was carried along on the breeze. It was a warm autumn's day, nearing supper time, with the garden's greenery in the last of it's prime before the cold settled into strip it bare. It was the perfect time to take one last opportunity to create some mischief.

Liliana Bhaltar held her dress skirts a little higher above her ankles as she ran, her servant's boots crunching on the gravel that was laid for the paths in the small-bush maze that lead to the water fountain. Loose tendrils of hair framed her face and brushed her neck, having become free from her cap to keep it all tied back. She threw a look over her shoulder to see where her pursuer was, only the shriek again at seeing how close he was to catching her. She paused, at the fountain after reaching the centre, to spin on the ball of her foot and send a hand crashing into the water to splash him in hopes of distracting him and giving her some time to get space between them so she could hide.

Eventually she came to a stop behind a tall, domed bush, panting softly. Liliana tucked some of the strands of hair back under her cap during her momentary breather, her chest rising and falling rapidly. She peered around the one side, trying to see where her best friend was.

"Ferdinand... where are you...?" She called, walking slowly around the one side of the bush. She bit her lower lip as she grinned, heart pounding with the adrenaline of their cat-and-mouse game. "You haven't tagged me yet... so I guess that means I'm the winner for today-!"

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: moffnat
"So you thought!" cried Ferdinand, lunging at her from the opposite side of the bush. He'd gone so far as taking off his boots so sweet Liliana would not hear him coming. Dripping wet, the child beamed at his victory, grabbing her shoulder and laughing with glee. "I've got you, fair maiden! This is no game of tag, but I am a beast sent to bring you to my castle, where you will tend to my treasure until the end of time!" An evil laugh followed this dastardly declaration. "Come! I will take you to my lair, where--"

"Ferdinand!"

The booming shout of his father in the distance was unmistakable. Ferdinand feared him, his fists especially, and all the playfulness fled his features. Panicked, he grabbed Liliana's hand and held it tight in his own. "Follow me, Lily. Maybe if we hide, he won't find us and will go away."

• Love
Reactions: Viverescribere
A playful scream escaped her as he sneaked up on her, jumping and turning to face him. She giggled at his speech, also at how wet he was from her splashing earlier. His poor clothes were a darker hue from the diversion she tried to cause and his hair was stuck to his face and forehead in places. "No! I'll never-" She began, talking over the start of his own declaration until his father's yell cut through the air. Ruining their game and their moment of peace.

Ferdinand's father was the true beast of the castle, and she was all too aware of what the beast was capable.

"I know a place," she whispered, as if expecting his father to be on the other side of the bush, "Come with me. I'll keep you safe." Liliana kept hold of his hand, pulling him along as she began to run. She lead them both to the far outskirts of the garden to an old oak that she enjoyed sitting either below at the trunk or up in the branches. It gave her a view of the majority of the castle gardens, and with the leaves still in the majority, kept her from view to a certain degree.

Liliana climbed first, only up to the first level of branches, perching herself on one of the thicker arms of the tree so they could sit together. "Come up, it's safe - I promise. We have to prepare our attack against the dragon!" Her eyes widened dramatically as she attempted to ease her friend's anxiety by turning it into a game, "We have the advantage of a sneak attack, we must use it, Ferdinand!"

Last edited:
  • Love
"I can't," began Ferdinand, panic swelling in his little chest. "Lily, I can't climb trees. I don't know how. Father tells me not to." He didn't want to think of what his father would do to him if he caught his heir climbing a tree like monkey. A peasant. "Here, climb higher. I'll--"

"Ferdinand!" The formidable Duke Aegir stormed through the garden, having caught a glimpse of his son's red hair through the foliage. His father was massive, dark hair and eyes reflecting his heart. Ferdinand turned and stood straighter. His expression, flattened. "What are you doing out here? You're expected in the training grounds. No son of mine will be weak with sword and lance."

"I was chasing birds, Father," Ferdinand lied. "I was testing my endurance to see how fast I can run. I want to be the fastest and the strongest, just like you want."

Duke Aegir eyed his son with great suspicion. Never one to trust, this man, hardened by war and a stern upbringing. "Then I suppose you won't mind if I shoot an arrow up into the tree?" he said with a sly grin. "Perhaps I will catch one of your birds for the dogs."

"No! Don't--" Ferdinand paused. He did not want to give Lily away. "Don't scare them away, Father. I'm coming." He walked past his father toward the training grounds, hoping to lead him away. "Are we doing lance or sword today?"

"Sword," grumbled the duke without turning. "After I clip some wings."

With a great hand, he reached up into the low thickets of the tree, snatching Lily's ankle. He yanked her from the branches with impossible force and let her fall to the ground. Ferdinand cried out, but the arms of his swordmaster held him back from rushing to the aid of his friend. "Father, stop!"

"This girl," noted the Duke, "this insignificant thing would make you lie to me, would she?" He towered over the girl. "Then I suppose she must be removed."

• Love
Liliana's heart stopped at how close his father's voice sounded, her lower lip beginning to tremble as the awful man approached the tree. She shuffled back along the branch, trying to get closer to the tree trunk as the two spoke. Lily had always feared the Duke, despite her attempts to stay strong and brave for her friend who she knew had it so much worse. At least she could escape home at the end of the day, but poor Ferdinand had to remain in the castle with the monster.

In that moment she felt like a coward, Liliana wanted nothing more than to climb down and stand beside her friend, but fear kept her rooted in her spot. She brought her knees to her chest, trying to make herself as small as possible all the while wishing she could be like one of the birds they spoke of. Both her and Ferdinand. Then they could fly away from this place together and play all they wanted.

Those thoughts came to a crashing halt though, at the feeling of a hand wrapping around her ankle. Liliana cried out as she was pulled from her hiding spot, a moment of weightlessness greeting her until she landed hard on her back. The young servant girl struggled to breath, let alone release the sobs that came to her at the pain she had just been caused.

She looked up to the beast of a Duke, coughing and gasping softly as she tried to get the wind back in her lungs. Tears trickled down her face as she dared looked to Ferdinand, wanting nothing more than to have the comfort of her friend.

---------

Liliana's eyes shot open as she sucked in a sharp breath, the memory of her dream causing her to feel as if she had just experienced that fall all over again. She had ached for days afterwards, both in the physical sense from her fall and the emotional after being forced to leave a dear friend behind. Her parents were so confused, furious about being released from their jobs on such short notice but unable to do anything about it. They were not at first sure what the cause for their dismissal was, but when the search for a new way of living became harder, Liliana's father had no qualms in trying to seek answers from the bottom of a bottle and turning his rage and blame onto his daughter.

Exhaling heavily, the young woman pulled herself up and out of bed, casting a glance to the empty bed beside her. Charlotte had already left for another long day in the mill, and Liliana wasn't sure when she would return. During the short time they had together, Lily did try to teach her roommate the needlework she had learned while living in the castle. Hoping the skill would be enough to get Charlotte out of the mill and into seamstressing too. But it was a fiddly skill, and the other young woman had such long hours... it would take months for her to finally become able enough.

Dressing herself and fixing her hair into a braid, Lily prepared herself for another mundane day. She left the tired, worn-out room to escape to the market place, taking in a deep breath as she tried to expel the painful memory she dreamed about from her mind. There was no point lingering on a past that was impossible to change, and on people she would never see again.

Last edited:
  • Sympathy & Compassion
The moment Duke Aegir left the capital to visit the king, Ferdinand began making changes. Perhaps too many and too ambitiously, but he wanted to prove that he could run the Aegir household with an open hand instead of a closed fist. He softened the strict rules on the servants, paid them far above their current wages and met with each and every one of them to ensure their satisfaction with their work. None of these changes went unappreciated. Ferdinand became a respected name around the Aegir castle in a single week, which made him very proud. Confident.

Among Ferdinand's desired changes was the ability to venture beyond the castle walls for the first time since his birth, to experience a glimpse into the lives that the city of Aegir offered. And so he did. Dressed as modestly as he could for a man of his station, he rode on horseback into town, both marveled and horrified by what he saw. So many people so close together, fascinating markets selling the strangest oddities, starving orphans in the streets, beggars, the insane, the giggling of children playing games, the heavenly smells from a nearby bakery; all of it packed together in one bittersweet locale. So much to explore. So much to be concerned about.

Why had he never been shown these things?

Ferdinand dismounted his horse once he reached the markets. He noticed the wary and curious looks he received from others, but he couldn't tell whether or not they recognized him. How could they be familiar with someone they'd never met?

• Love
The life in the market square was one that Liliana had become accustomed to, having learned plenty of lessons along the way. Some harsher than others, but lessons nonetheless that she was grateful for. It had helped mould her into the woman she was today. She had often spent a lot of her childhood in the market once her parents had lost their jobs at the Duke's castle, a decision made on the basis that she wanted to avoid her father's fist as much as possible. Lily would run around with the other poorer and beggar children, darting in and around stalls and the people that sought to purchase something from them. Her new friends replaced the one she lost in the castle, but the memories of him remained. And her new friends were never as good at playing the beast from the castle.

Liliana had learned to keep her coins close to her person, having sown a pocket on the inside of her cloth cloak to keep them against her breast. Not to mention, if possible, one should make sure that they do not jangle too much lest they draw the attention of the pickpockets and drunken thieves on the outskirts. She knew to be inconspicuous when slipping a poor beggar child a coin, otherwise they would all hound her and it was too difficult to look at their dirtied little faces and say no.

As she strolled through the market square, her attention was captured by the sight of a horse and rider moving through the crowds. The face was obscured by the stall stands, yet she couldn't think of who it could be. The only noble family were the Aegir household, but everyone knew that they kept themselves behind the walls.

Looking on until the rider halted, Liliana didn't wait to see them dismount. Instead she stopped at one of the nearby stalls to make a purchase, taking the chance to get some new material and thread to fix up one of Charlotte's dress. From there, she moved on, intending to catch some of the production that was being put on. It was cheap for the plays, which poked fun at the nobility and the rich, yet it all depended on the weather since it was merely a raised platform toward the end of the square.

Last edited:
  • Love
The deeper Ferdinand ventured into the markets, the more uncomfortable he became. The quizzical looks of those around him made him feel like an exotic oddity, something to be stared at and avoided if possible for fear of catching disease. He had tried to dress modestly, but apparently the embroidered vest and plain white blouse had given him away.

"Excuse me, ma'am," said Ferdinand in as kind a voice as he could manage, smiling at the florist who busily manned her stall. "I would like to buy some flowers from you. My mother enjoys roses and chrysanthemums, if you have any."

The woman froze. She was older, grey and brown hair tied up with a strip of cloth, and a bit portly which suggested many children. She blinked at Ferdinand, and he was unsure if she wanted to yell at him. "Five gold," she said curtly.

Ferdinand had the feeling that this was far overpriced for a small bouquet of flowers, but he retrieved his coin purse and paid her anyway, smiling gratefully as she handed them to him. "Thank you, ma'am. Enjoy your day." He carefully placed the bouquet in a small pack at his horse's saddle and walked on, holding the reins of his beloved mare rather tightly. She was his favorite horse, Freya. His heart might break if he were to lose her to a thief.

Coming upon the ends of the market, a raised platform and a crowd signified that a show was to be performed. Ferdinand stepped to the side with Freya, leaning back against a building's edge as he watched. The play was rather brutal. Poking fun at the nobility, at House Aegir specifically, bringing many of the social circumstances of these people to light. Poverty, crime, mistreatment, underpaid labor, famine. Though many jokes on these subjects were made, Ferdinand was the only one in the crowd who did not laugh.

Liliana managed to find herself a little perch on one of the barrels that sat outside the tavern that flanked the stage. She wasn't sure if the tavern had been opened after the stage was erected or if the stage came before, but either way she was aware of how crafty a placement it was. So easily could people go and buy a pint of ale or two or three as they watched the play of the day. Easy money for the tavern, and also easy pickings for the pickpockets that undoubtedly roamed within the crowd.

Her lips curled into a smile at some of the jokes and comedy on display, laughing softly on occasion. While she may have had a rough ending at the Aegir household, it didn't mean she felt particularly comfortable laughing at the lines made at their expense. Of course she had nothing that tied her to them now, she owed them nothing. But there was always that guilt that picked at her if she did bite back a smile or caught herself chuckling. It didn't feel right, not when her experiences weren't all that horrid at the castle. Only the Duke was the nightmare, the one that caused so much of her life to unravel after that day she dreamed about. Yet Liliana could never bring herself to join in conversations that revolved around the nobility that was the Aegir family.

As for the jokes made regarding the situation of the poor, she was a firm believer that you had to find some humour in everyday life. If they couldn't use the comedy of the play to laugh at their own misfortunes, then it would all become too much. The knowledge of their predicaments would weigh heavily on their shoulders for the rest of their lives - they needed this amusement to keep them going.

Movement caught her eye, and Liliana looked across to the other side of the stage to see the horse once more. Her brow furrowed softly, hands coming down to rest either side of her legs and hold onto the edge of the barrel.

"'Ere, what's a noble man doin' comin' to watch our show?" A young voice piped up beside her. A young boy, probably no older than 13. "Bet he's 'ere to shut this down. Them nobles nev'r let us 'ave any fun." He huffed, crossing his arms in a sulk.

Liliana raised an eyebrow, a small grin spreading along her lips. "And if he does, so be it. It'll be open again tomorra, he'll just be one noble. I doubt he'd come back to check if they keep it closed." She answered the young boy, "Just enjoy what you got for a change and stop frettin' about what may or may not happen."

• Love
Ferdinand learned quickly that the value of the play was not in the content of the performance, but the laughter of the onlookers. The joy that spread from every joke, every jab at his family's expense. These people were filthy and tired and obviously hungry, yet they laughed together as though none of these things mattered to them, if only for a moment. He wasn't sure how he should feel. Saddened over the suffering? Glad that they shared a common camaraderie?

When the play was over, the actors placed a worn hat on the edge of the stage for tips. Though Ferdinand's heart was heavy, he came forward with his coin purse and placed several gold pieces there, enough to feed the whole troupe for a week. "Thank you for the performance," he said to the lead with honesty. "It was enlightening."

"Look!" The young lad beside her pointed mid-clap, his eyes wide in disbelief, "That noble is puttin' down money. For the play." He glanced to Liliana, despite her being a total stranger, as if to gain some confirmation that she too could see such a rare feat. The nobility never ventured this deep into the market, let alone to watch the entire play. Placing money in the hat was another matter entirely.

Liliana slowed in her clapping, smile fading and stomach flipping at the sight of the familiar red hair. It was definitely a von Aegir who had ventured from beyond the walls. "Yes... he is..." She agreed softly, but no longer paying attention to the young boy as he continued in his rambling. Too dazed to listen. It wasn't the Duke, the hair lacked the silver that would have matched the Duke's age and the body was still broad and muscular, as if the person still participated in swordsmanship or lancing. "It can't be..." She whispered quietly to herself.

Her hands went to her lap to hold the sewing materials she had picked up earlier, hoping down from the barrel with her tattered boots splashing in a shallow, muddy puddle. Liliana moved hesitantly toward the front, fingers tightening around the sack that held her purchase as she neared. Her heart pounded in her chest and she almost made the decision to stop, turn around and leave as if nothing was any different. Instead she pushed herself forward, needing to know if it was who she thought it was.

"Ferdie-- Ferdinand?"

The audience began to disperse, all of whom avoided Ferdinand with the same behavior he'd observed all day: cautious avoidance. He didn't know if they feared him or hated him. Perhaps both. Disheartened, he'd resigned himself to return home and contemplate how he would fix the misfortune that befell the people of Aegir.

Until he heard his name.

Ferdinand turned. Lily, his Lily, she was unmistakable. She had grown more beautiful than he could ever have imagined with her braided hair and soft eyes. His heart swelled in his chest. The joy overcame the sorrow. "Liliana?" he asked with a big smile. Forgetting himself, and thrilled to see the one person he could ever call friend, Ferdinand let go of Freya's reins and rushed forward to embrace Lily in a tight hug. His strong arms encased her. "Oh, you have no idea how happy I am to see you! How long has it been? Ten years? No, surely more than that." Ferdinand pulled back, his hands holding her upper arms. "How I have missed you."

• Love
It was him. It really was her Ferdie. Liliana was in disbelief, she couldn't believe that he was stood before her. He had grown so much taller, his body defined and chiselled undoubtedly from all the years of swordsmanship his father forced him to do. Yet his eyes were still the same, even after all these years, they were still soft and hopeful. Or perhaps that was just because he was looking at her.

Liliana was unable to help but wrap her arms around him as he pulled her into an embrace, her head resting on his shoulder and eyes squeezing tight. He wasn't a ghost, or a mirage of her memory. He was actually here, in the flesh, solid and strong.

However she could hear the whispers, a mixture of tones and levels within them. She opened her eyes as he pulled back, holding her at an arms length, but she wasn't looking at him. Instead to the dispersing crowd, some of whom had stopped to witness the new spectacle of the Noble hugging the Peasant. Eyebrows were raised, frowns were deepening, some mouths were even open wide enough to catch flies. But all had common emotions brewing in their eyes - disgust, suspicion, disbelief and even a tinge of hatred.

Lily was quick to look away from the intense stares, clearing her throat as she gently removed his hands from her arms. "You 'ave to be careful, Ferdie." Liliana said softly, taking a step around him to gather the reins of his horse, fearing for him that someone would make the most of this opportunity. "People ain't afraid of talkin' and you've just given them somethin' to talk about." She peered up to him, but with all her seriousness she was unable to help a smile from blossoming on her own face. "I've missed you too. I... I wanted to reach out to you after what happened but..." She trailed off, frowning softly. But his father, she doubted any letter she sent or any attempt of a visit would have been allowed.

Last edited:
"Carefulness be damned," said Ferdinand with joy. "I cannot simply contain myself. Do you know how long I have ached for your company, Liliana? Your wise words?"

Even still, the looks of the surrounding commoners put Lily at risk. No matter how much he'd accepted their hatred of him, he would not wish for her to become a pariah due to his lack of control. "Come, then. Walk with me to the nearest alley, and we will speak there. Or you could come to the castle for dinner? My father is away and will not return for several weeks." Ferdinand did not let go of her arms, his smile ever present, never fading. "If you would like to, of course. I will not force you into anything. If you wish for me to walk away, say the word and I will do so."

Ferdinand's happiness was just as infectious as she remembered, and it didn't take long for her previous frown to be replaced with a soft, if shy, smile of her own. She gently held onto his forearms since he refused to let her go. It felt like he feared she would disappear again if he did.

"No wonder you've dared to venture beyond the walls today," Lily observed, eyes drinking in every new feature and detail she could spot. The young boy she once knew had matured into a strong young man. She just found it extraordinary how he managed to keep his smile, knowing who he had lived with for all these years. The offer at dinner at the castle was tempting, as she remembered how delicious the food there was. Yet it felt wrong to accept such an offer. She would feel extremely out of place there, and she didn't want to cause any disruption for him should the servants talk and his father found out upon his return. "I don't want you to walk away, Ferdie, don't you worry. That's the last thing I want you to do righ' now." She assured him next, finding herself reaching up to gently cup his cheek.

Quickly remembering where she was and the increased whispers and mutters, Lily sharply lowered her hand and cleared her throat, avoiding his gaze. "Come with me," she motioned with her head for them to move around to the side of the stage to a secluded area there, leading his horse along the way.

Once she was assured that they were hidden from prying eyes, Liliana stepped forward to embrace him tightly again. Her head rested against his chest and she laughed lightly, "You've gotten so tall now, I 'member a time when you was shorter than me." She said, eyes closed as the memories surged forward. Reluctantly she stepped back to look up at him, reaching out to take his hand and give it a firm squeeze, "How 'ave you been, Ferdie? I've truly missed you,."

• Sweet
Damn his romantic soul. Ferdinand embraced Lily just as tightly, his heart spinning in circles in his chest when she rested her head there. He was almost sad when she pulled away. "I've been well," he said with a nod. "Indeed, I've grown. And you're not so small yourself anymore. You've gone and become beautiful. Who gave you the right to do that?" He kissed the back of her hand in a polite manner, the way one would greet a long departed friend. "Please, though, don't make me bore you with stories of myself. I am as I always was, for the most part. Gregarious, bold, naive at times. Forever a pain in my father's arse, only now I'm larger than him, so he troubles me less." Ferdinand chuckled. "What of you, Lily? How does your family fare? I hope your mother makes the same delicious muffins with blueberries and sugar like she used to."

• Love
Warmth flooded her cheeks at his compliment and Liliana was quick to avert her gaze in her embarrassment. She kept her eyes on her hand as he raised it to his lips, eventually allowing her gaze to return to his, that shy smile once more on her lips. "You wouldn't bore me, you know that. You were never capable of bein' borin', Ferdinand." Lily chuckled, brushing her thumb along the back of his knuckles as she continued to keep hold of his hand. "I can't imagine it'll be much longer now, will it? Before you begin to take over the household? Surely your Pa has started handin' things over to you in preparation for when your time comes?"

Liliana's warm smile wavered at the question regarding her family, "I... must admit I haven't been home in six years, Ferdie." She confessed, hesitant to do so as she didn't want to ruin the jubilation of their reunion. But she had to tell him the truth, she wouldn't be able to pretend that all was well and she was happy still with her family.

Last edited:
  • Sympathy & Compassion
"That process has already started," Ferdinand confirmed. "It won't be long before I..."

He trailed off as Liliana mentioned her family. "Six years." A frown took him. He always remembered the Bhaltar family being filled with love for one another, their delicious treats made for their peers, their smiling faces. Clearly something had changed. He wanted to know what.

The glow of sunset bled across the plaza, casting the alley in more darkness than Ferdinand could stand. It wasn't polite to keep a lady here. "Please," he asked. "Come to the castle tonight. Nevermind my mother and the servants. My little sister, Hilda, you remember her? She was married off and lives in Duscur now. The castle will welcome you, Lily, I promise."

Freya seemed to neigh in encouragement.

• Sweet
Immediately Lily hesitated in responding to his gentle demands, her thumb stilling over his knuckles and eyes dropping again. The thought of returning to the castle was an intense one to bear. It held so many different memories, some good and some wonderful... but some awful. It was the place that she last had the happiest memories with her parents, when times were good and, despite the tight wages, they were still better off than most. Then of course there were her memories with Ferdinand, running through the castle gardens or fussing over the horses in the stables.

"I-I don't know, Ferdinand. My roommate will wonder where I am, I promised I'd fix her dress this evenin'." Lily answered, reluctant to look at him and instead casting a glance to the opening of their small, secluded spot. "I don't want to be the reason why your Pa brings hellfire down on the both of us... again." Of course she was concerned about his Ma or the servants saying something - she wasn't aware of how good a reputation and rapport he had built with the servants that managed the castle.

Her eyes darted back to him and she felt her resolve melting as soon as she saw the hope in his eyes. "Alrigh'... but not for too long. I at least need to drop this off at my home first... and try and get a message to Charlotte." She worried her lower lip between her teeth, thinking it all through before focusing back onto him. She also didn't want him following her back to her home, the dingy, worn down little place that it was. "You go on ahead, I'll meet you at the town gates once I've sorted myself out, alrigh'? I promise you."

• Sweet
"I shall consider it a promise, then." Ferdinand beamed. Ever the dreamer, he wanted her stay at the castle to be a pleasant one, to be able to reminisce with her about the joys of their childhood, few though they were. He took Freya's reins from Liliana and clicked his tongue to get the horse's attention. Once mounted, he smiled down at Lily, his long auburn hair brushing with the breeze. "I'll see you soon."

On horseback, Ferdinand made his way back through the markets and toward the Castle Aegir, more hope in his heart than there had ever been. He returned to the gates at the promised time and waited for her, dressed as any noble should be.

He would wait hours if he must.