The Price of Protection

What am I doing? What am I doing!?

That was the only thought that pounded through Raikyo's head as he sped towards the hospital. Minero was correct as always. Her scent never did die out, even as she left. Fairenz was speeding off in front of him. Raikyo could tell that the cat was just as worried as he was. Raikyo sped up, finally bursting through the entrance of the hospital. The clerk was startled at the sudden action. She shrieked but when Fairenz purred, her shoulder's suddenly slumped, loosening her tension. Raikyo, however, wasn't so calm.

"Ayame! Where is she!?"he asked, slamming a hand on the desk. Fairenz was annoyed that Raikyo had ruined his calming aura, but Raikyo's attention wasn't on the two of them anymore. The green aura had suddenly returned. Minero...

"In room 568--"

The rest of the clerk's words flew from his mind as he ran up the stairs two at a time. Fairenz followed him, yellow eyes slanting. Yeah, you and I both buddy...

The doctors had just finished stitching her up, it was a quick process.. quick but painful and that was the only reason she was put to sleep for the process. All of the sudden ayame woke up out of her slumber.. but she felt as if something had yanked her from her sleep something was comming... she couldnt explain how she new this.. she just did. she felt it. The doctors turned around to view her " your not supposed to be awake for another 20 minutes.. do you feel anything" one doctor said checking the iv pulling it out slowly to see what was wrong. "mm.mm" she girl said shaking her head.. there was a draft in the hospital and the 2 doctors turned around to see the nurse was missing.."well thats strange.. she was just there staralizing the utensils.." all was quiet.. and an eerie feeling crept over the room.. Ayame slowly got out of bed and ran to roku.. "Wake up roku somethings comming.." She said in a pleadinf voice. Rokus eyes shot open "ayame whats wrong?" he said shaking off the sleepiness. Ayame was speechless.. she looked at the door along with the other two doctors.. Roku looked himself waiting.. he could tell they were waiting.. he squinted his eyes and say up though it pained him. pushing ayame behind him. "what the hell.." he thought as all their hearts raced. waiting

"Insolent door." Minero whispered. After the words left his lips, the door began to burn with a bubbling green acid from the top to the bottom. The cracking of wood floated through the room, acid boiling until it eroded on the floor. Minero's green eyes fell upon what appeared to be his target an another human around her age.

"Ah, love. My favorite prey."he cooed, suddenly turning his cold eyes upon the two of them. Lifting a crooked finger, he pointed his nail at the boy's chest. "You are in the way my child.

"ARRROOOO!"

The howl came from down the hallway, but still caught Minero off guard. The man turned his head slowly, finally detecing the scent of that dreaded panther.

"I guess I have to quicken this up..."he whispered, pointing one finger at Roku and the other at Ayame. Before the green acid burst forward, Raikyo suddenly dropped in from the roof, covered hin gravel. He knelt, poised and un-phased at the fact that he fell through a ceiling.

"Get back, Ayame!"he ordered. It was the first time he said his name to her, and the taste of it was strangely unusual.

"Oh ho ho....the scent of betrayal. How lovely."Minero coaxed. Raikyo growled from within his throat, eyes darkening.​

"Ayames eyes glistened with tears" so you came to save me.. you care?"she said as roku took her by the hand leading her out of a door behind raikyo and down the hallways springting, he leaned down and put her on his back" it pained him at first.. he was no where near healed or okay, but she had to get ayame out of there... he ran until he say a nearby shed.... she was just petite enough to fit inside a cabin. "Be very still.." he said closing the cabin and ripping his clothes making himself look injured.. he planned to trick them into believing he had lost her in the woods.. He would be getting rid of two problems.. Raikyo and Minero. He tore his bandages off.. he began bleeding through them.. this was good... He threw some left over herbs in his pocket to cover up her scent in the shed "ill be back for you soon..." he said limping back towards the hospital.. he smirked a little as he entered the door looking distraught "help..." he said falling to his knees "i lost ayame"

"I lost Ayame!"

The words echoed throughout Raikuo's head like a scream in a distant canyon. His eyes were wide and his body became oddly numb. He only remembered gazing at Roku who was torn and distraught. It looked like he had been through the woods. The first thought that came to mind was that someone else had gotten her. Someone far worse than Minero.

"Lost, eh? That's too bad." Minero drawled, flashing a toothy grin. His attention suddenly fell onto the disoriented Raikyo. "All things come to those who wait. Isn't that right, Raikyo?"he sneered. Suddenly in a cloud of green smoke, the silver haired man had vanished. Fairenz sat on the cold floor of the hospital slowly, feeling the weight of Roku's words on his shoulders. Raikyo only stared at the space in front of him, remembering the look on her face when he appeared.

And now...she's gone?

His chest heaved up and down heavily. The hospital began to spin in front of his blue eyes. To him, neither Roku nor Fairenz was there. Raikyo was drowning in his own world of confusion. They have...Ayame...

Roku glanced at the panther then at raikyo who looked as though he was about to snap at any moment. He hesitated then put a hand on his shoulder for support.. "dont worry we will find her.. its okay.." he said with a fake reassuing smile "the panther and him locked eyes for a moment... and it seemed like it had seen right threw him..he knew it did.. but he thought its just a panther.. whats it going to do start talking? he smirked at it then got up

"..what a cunning bastard" he thought to himself as he began to walk towards the entrance "come on lets search the woods for her" he said heading in the opposite direction he had taken ayame.

Raikyo knew following this pathetic waste of a life was completely irrelevant, yet he had nothing else to do. He was pissed off. At the human boy who bothered him in the first place. At Minero, who thought he was so sly and coil when he was nothing but a mere pawn to Lord. And of that human girl, who had tainted his mind with these thoughts and feelings. He'd kill every last one of them...but Ayame was already gone.

What?

Raikyo stopped in his tracks. The cold sensation of Fairenz's dialogue had filled his head...and Raikyo skidded to a stop. His head turned to the black feline who bent his head in a small, minuscule, yet noticeable nod. The aura inside Raikyo spiked. Literately. A swirl of dark, royal blue aura and wind formed at the soles of his feet. Roku...ROKU!!!

Before the demon was allowed to stab him in the heart with the blade that summoned to his will, Fairenz pawed the ground in anger. Raikyo only froze for a moment. The panther...reminded him so much of her.

"Only for you."he said to the cat before running off after it's black silhouette which was leading him straight to the very much alive and well Ayame.​

Roku cursed under his breath,

But how could he have known? how could the panther have told him..
He raced after them, hoping to get there before raikyo.. knowing it was a small chance. What would he do with her once he saw her? he seemed too unstable to care for her.. He seen the look in rokus eyes when he saw her... a look of lust anger and sympathy.. but a demons anger outwieghed any other feelings it had or so roku thought so he raced on.. hoping to get there in time.

"Damn that wench! I'll kill her! I'll show her not to mess with me! I am RAIKYO! The demon that everyone fears! She will learn to fear me when she dies slowly by my hands! I'll enjoy her life ending! Her and that stupid boy toy she has! Their deaths will satisfy me! YOU HEAR ME, FARIENZ?!"he screamed. All the while, he sped on, hoping that nothing was wrong with her.

Half of him was outrageously disgusted at the horrible prank that Roku boy attempted to pull upon him. And in front of Fairenz, at that! Who is the demon here?!, he spat through his mind.

Though it was faint the scent of Ayame wafted into his nose causing his ears to wiggle in any sign of movement. Fairenz finally spotted a shed, whinning in order to get through. He need not, for Raikyo swung the silver blade once diagonally, revealing broken shards of woods....and Ayame.

"Ayame!"he shouted, hopping down to her level. His blue eyes showed worry and Fairenz only gazed at the scene from above. Damn her...he thought as he placed his fingers under her chin to lift her head up. "You okay?"​

"She was a little startled to see raikyo and not roku who said he would be comming back.. but seeing raikyo was just fine too. she smiled weakly leaning on him for support into a hug. "Did you save me again?" she said exhausted.. out of breath from being anxious and glad it was all over.. atleast from her perspective it seemed so..

roku came in the clearing but didnt go any further he watched at a distance in a jealous rage.

A low growl came out of Fairenz's mouth. His black fur glistened in the moonlight, but the light only enhanced the anger in his sharp yellow eyes as he looked at Roku. It was as if he were coaxing the boy to try something...and see what consequences lie ahead.

"Shut up." Raikyo said, placing a hand behind her head as her face hit his chest. The sentence didn't come out as menacing as he planned it to. The slowing of her breathing wiggled through his ears showing him that she was clearly all but okay. He only stood however; awaiting some sort of reverie to cross his mind. He didn't know what to do or where to go.

So he didn't move. He stood there, one arm wrapped around the head of the girl that angered him so.​

Ayame smiled weakly once more she had just met this demon... and yet she felt a deep connection with him.. "why was that man after me? what could i possible have that he wants?" she said looking up at him from their embrace.

The panther intimidated roku he could tell you that but it didnt stop him.. he took one step slowly towards the two never taking his eyes off the panther "its all right buddy" he said trying to be as friendly as possible

"I said shut up."Raikyo replied coldly. As much as it thrilled his mind to know that she was alive, her voice only reminded him of her power over him. He did not want to feel inferior.

That...and the questions were really hard to answer.

"I won't let him touch you."he replied out of the blue. The words pissed him royally. I'll kill her myslef for what she is putting me through...

Fairenz's back arched and his fur began bristling. He was preparing a hiss! Raikyo's head whipped above him at the scene of Roku and Fairenz! If Fairenz went through with his action's the boy would drop dead. However....as pleasing as it all would be...

"Enough, Fairenz."he said slowly, unconsciously holding Ayame closer to him. "He is not our target."he said. Yet, he noted in his mind.​

he was aggressive yes.. but it flattered her to know it was for her own good it made her giggle a little that he put so much effort into trying to hate her... he wanted to save her from whatever was after he she could tell... she didnt know what roku had done to deserve such cruel treatment but again she was too exhausted to pay attention. she just rested against raikyo..

was she taking his side? roku thought to himself as he watched.. raikyo had to be brainwashing her..
Fine.. we play by your rules for now -he thought to himself smirking as he stopped in his tracks waiting.

As much as Raikyo hated to do it, and he really hated to do it, he gave Roku a serious look. His ears flattened unconsciously, also warning Roku that he was not on his happy side.

"You. Take her to wherever she stays. And I mean straight there."he snapped. Raikyo glared at him for as long as possible, trying to strike as much fear in that useless human's heart as possible. "And just you think i'm screwing around, Fairenz will be following. Got it?"

Raikyo normally did not wish to include Fairenz in any of his personal business. The beast was very powerful, able to wipe out an entire village if he wished. If he wished. But normally, the enormous feline wanted nothing more than to sleep. Raikyo nodded to the panther that was camouflaged in the night, only detectable by the pools of yellow. He looked back towards Ayame who didn't appear to be better.

"He will watch over you. And if you feel endangered...just pull is ear."he said, leaning down to her ear, almost in a whisper.​

"she nodded and began walking wearily with roku who couldnt believe the stupid demon had sent his cat to watch over ayame as if he wanted to hurt ayame.. he didnt want to hurt ayame he wanted to keep the demon away from ayame. Raikyo was such an angry demon... an angry demon weilding that type of power is dangerous.. what if ayame caught him on a bad day? what if he killed her.? when she got ayame home her parents were very thankful to him.. they had worried all day about her.. they thought she had been kidnapped.

Roku came back early the next morning to see ayame but she wasnt home.. roku got paranoid.. thinking of what raikyo might do to him.. if he didnt find her.. he searched everywhere..

Ayame...

he thought to himself.. he herd a giggle off in the distance.. he hurriedly ran into an open field..
there she was lazily leaning on fairenz who was being equally lazy.. she had a flower in her hand and every time she put it over fairenz's nose he sneezed which sent her in a fit of laughter.
roku smiled in relief.

"wheres raikyo?" roku said comming close but not too close.. he was afraid of the cat.
she shrugged "i havent seen him sense last night" roku thought about that man that had tried to take her before
"well dont just hang around out here all day... " he said cautiously looking around.. he was paranoid

The sun beat down on Raikyo's head. The demon had finally awoken from his sleeping spell. To be honest, it had taken him quite a while to even fall into a slumber. The night time noises and yaks did not sooth him as they would do on most occasions. He was worried about...Fairenz. The panther and him had a history...one Raikyo did not enjoy to remember.

Raikyo was but a tiny demon. His ears weren't as furry and twitchy as they were today and his eyes were wide and blue. If one could believe it, one would say that he was but a innocent baby demon.

But this innocent baby demon was thrown into the forest, ripped and blooded up badly. He had cuts and bruises running through his body. It was all initiation however. The kid knew he had to go through the torturous fists in order to truly be a member of The Heiran. But that didn't make it hurt any less. He was only a child!

Raikyo dug his small fingers into the grass, his tears mingled with blood. The pain was intense and he wasn't supposed to show pain. But Raikyo could not bare to look at the others who were going through the task. So he fled. Ran. Sprinted wildly into the forest until he stumbled to where he was now.

The boy had let out his last groan of pain, when he caught a large black cat lying lazily in a tree. Raikyo was perplexed by the dazzling coat that shimmered off of the fauna of the forest. The cat's eyes were like minuscule suns. The panther licked it's nose and hopped down from the tree in one swift leap. This startled Raikyo, for he stifled a scream. The cat was big enough to swallow him whole.

"NO! NO MORE!"he yelled, cowering in fear. He shoved his hands through his black stringy hair, gripping it tightly. The cat strode up to him and sniffed down on Raikyo's hair, smelling the fear and blood. After flinching, Raikyo felt a tingling sensation in his head. His brain fuzzed, hearing and comprehending nothing but a voice.

"...I...I'm Raikyo..."he said shakily.

Raikyo snapped out of his memory, yawning in the grove of the tree he made as his bed. Fairenz should have been back by now. Then again...he was with Ayame. Raikyo glared beneath his sleepy eyes.

"Damn Casanova Cat..."he muttered.​

"Ayame rubbed farienz's fur softly as he slept... she felt safe with him.. she felt safe with raikyo..

raikyo.. why was he on her mind so much? All she could see was his face.. he was always so angry.. as if he didnt know how to show affection. like it wasnt in his vocabulary.. she could tell he really tried with her but she had hope.. he could learn to show affection.. to love.. to love? she thought giggling... she began to blush at the thought.. her parents would have a fit.. introducing a demon into their family... she sat up and began to walk into the forest.. leavin fairenz sleeping.. she was in a daze thinking about raikyo she just had to take a walk.. she was.. alone.

The sun was annoying. The lack of Fairenz was annoying. The past 24 hours was annoying.

Raikyo slapped a pale hand over his face and sunk his teeth into his palm. He didn't bite down enough to draw blood however, for a smell caught his attention. The scent was familiar. As if that was not a good enough tip-off, the aura swam into his general direction as well. It can't be!

His head whipped down below him, black hair falling with him, grazing his cheeks. Left ear twitching once, he caught the sound of sudden footsore. All of the clues drug him to the conclusion that it was indeed her. The demon growled from within his stomach. Damn her from exposing herself when she was in such high demand! Didn't I tell her to...I'll teach her not to wander off alone.

Raikyo disappeared between the brush of the trees. He used a tactic he got from Fairenz, and knelt down on all fours, peering with his keen eyes through the foliage, and spotted her. A smirk peeled across his lips. Bingo.

A second later, he leaped behind her slapping one hand gently over her mouth and using his free arm to hold both of her hands behind her back. He smirked, leaning to his mouth to her ears.

"Gotcha."he joked, chuckling.​

she shrieked when his paw went over her mouth thinking for sure she was dead.. when she found out it was raikyo she was pissed... her cheeks were bright red she turned around and jumped on him wrestling him tot he ground "you my friend are mean! you need to loosen up and be nice..." she said hitting him on the head and runing. as if they were playing tag.. she knew she wouldnt get far but it was fun just to pretend.. she hid behind a a tree waiting for his suprise attack.. she had a stick in one hand "come on raikyo" she said smirking "im ready for ya!"