The Power of Three

Flutter took the sketchbook easily, taking a glance at it before the bell had actually rung. She didn't understand art well- she wouldn't say if it was good or bad, mostly because to her, it was neither. Her instincts to focus on logic were a tad too strong- but she would notice things that weren't related to the artistic appeal, which she apparently began to manage, eyes darting to look at parts of the page. As she became drawn into the image, her brother sighed and pat her head, looking at Adrian. "This'll keep her busy for a while. I'll make sure she gives it back when she's done." He smiled, waving to the other two as they left.

When he was ready, he cleared his spot as well as his sister's, since she was too busy being absorbed by images to really do anything. When it was clean, he wiped some sweat off his brow as he heard Adrian say his own farewell. "See ya. Sis, snap out of it. We have a couple more classes. You can be enthralled during study hall or something." He tapped her head again, finally snapping her out of her daze. She put the book carefully into her bag for the time being, nodding and waving to Adrian gently.

"Take care...Have a good day." The mild words escaped her quickly in a breath, before she rushed after her brother who had started walking. "Wait up, Saya!"

---

He sat tall in an executive's chair, glowering at the letter before him. The letterhead clearly said G.O.S.H., and the contents were written in a fashion that showed an evil intent and devastation all wrapped up in a professional bind of wording. His moderately muscular hand ran over the paper as he swiftly flung his arm to the side, throwing his glass into the wall and letting it smash into pieces onto his carpet. His red-brown eyes closed tightly as his wrinkles became more distinct, especially near his furrowed brows. His hair was dark, nearly black in color, and seemed to drape down to his mid-back- much longer than the norm for a male at his age. "What is this?"

"Report on the triplets," An figure responded. "They've escaped again. We're still finding their next hiding place."

"Well find it faster, damnit!" He stood and slammed his fists onto his desk, knocking over a photograph- which clearly showed Sayaku and Flutter, smiling together. "We need to catch those brats. They belong to us, and we're getting them back."

"Yes sir, Mr. Catane." The figure mused awkwardly, apparently a bit more fearful than anything else. As he scurried off, Razen sighed and looked towards an empty wall.

"It's on you soon, Lars. We need to get those brats back."

Abbigail danced across the kitchen floor. "I'm going to take it as it was a wonderful day." Her father smiled warmly at her. Sebastian was tall and elegantly handsome. His sandy blonde hair had ended with him all his children inherited his wife's beautiful deep chestnut hue. "It went allright." Abbie responded popping a few grapes into her mouth. The boys walked into the kitchen soon after. "How was your day?" Their parents asked. "Nothing new to report. Same first day of school story you've heard a million times, different school." Aidehn sighed heavily. He was exhausted from the constant run his family had endured. If it were up to him he'd join the resistance and show the government they weren't pawns for their use. "It was different." Adrian added softly focusing on making some grapes lift off of Abbie's plate and float his way. She smiled and jutted forward clamping her mouth around the last grape before he got to it. Theif She thought to herself jokingly. Sebastian and Alessandra focused on their son. In all the new schools they had attended never once did he return with the word, different. Abbie smiled at her parents. "Well... who is she?" their father asked. "Dad!" he groaned fighting off a blush. Abbigail and Aidehn laughed as he stood up to go to his room. "You guys are so embarassing!" Before he could leave the kitchen Alessandra placed an arm around him. "We all need to talk." The words hung heavy on the three.

"Now we know that we've only been here a couple of days but we need to set some ground rules." the three sighed. This small conversation was practically embedded into their brains forever. "There is to be no using your powers anywhere outside this house. Not at school, in the back yard, and no use on each other." "Dad..." the trio insisted simultaneously annoyed. "Listen to your father." their mother snapped giving them the authoritative look that she meant business. "I'm serious kids. It's getting harder and harder to cover up your mishaps and hide you." "What if we don't want to be hidden?" Aidehn asked frustratingly. "You have no choice." Alessandra warned. "We do have a choice. They're humans mom... that's all. We could show them we are not a force to be reckoned with why do you think the resistance exists?" "Aidehn that's enough." she warned further. "No... it's bull shit we're sitting here hiding like we're the ones that should be scared." "Aidehn enough!" Sebastian's words cut through the argument in one swift move. "You will obey our wishes. This isn't just about you Aidehn or what you are capable of. This is about our family as one. We're all in this together." Abbigail and Adrian looked over at their brother ashamed. "Curfew is nine with no negotiations and in the event that you forget the colossal first rule of no using outside these walls, you are obligated to inform us the second it occurs because if we don't move... they'll be at our door before you get home."

"Calm down." Abbigail said to her brother who paced back and forth in her room. "Why can't they just hear us out?" "Because it's not us talking... it's you." Adrian said looking him in the eye. "Are you two afraid of what we can do?" they shook their head and continued working on homework. "We have accepted the fact that we're gifted but you are no better than they are if you want to use your powers to strike fear in G.O.S.H." Abbigail shook her head and sat down in the lotus position ready for her meditation. Adrian took that as a sign he should go. "No one in this family understands me." "You make it so easy brother." They walked out of her room and Abbigail relaxed. As the door closed with the faint sound of the latch she exhaled softly crystals forming from fer exhale freezing the water vapor in the air. Alone at last.

Sayaku and Flutter had gone home separately after school. Flutter had gone straight home, surprised to find their uncle already had returned from work. He looked over his shoulder while sipping a cup of coffee on the couch. He had light brown hair and a face that seemed to resemble Sayaku's a bit more than her own. She giggled a bit, smiling as she entered the door. "I'm home."

"Welcome back, Flutter. Where's Sayaku?"

"Big brother had band practice today. He said he'll be home before dinner." She smiled lightly, closing the door and walking deeper into the house. Leaning on the back of the couch, her hair draped next to her uncle's side. "You're home early, uncle."

"I have to go back after another hour," He responded. "How was school?"

"Met nice people." Flutter's speech was very simple. She put her bag down before hopping over the back of the couch, with her head on the bottom cushion and her stomach stuck on the couch's backrest. Her uncle lifted her over, so that her feet touched the ground. She pushed herself up to sit back next to him. "One was logical. He's good at drawing things too. The drawings are very clean and leaves are anatomically correct."

"I see. I'm glad you're making friends." This was all he got out of it as he sipped his coffee. "You should invite them over....On a day I don't have work."

"I'll talk to Saya about it." Invitations and such were more her brother's field of expertise, and it was an accepted way of doing things. "Ah...I'm going to go check the herbs." She went to the back room, going to do what she'd stated. Meanwhile, her uncle sighed.

"We're lucky you two take after Windy, and not that idiot father of yours..." He looked upwards, sighing. "Razen, your children are growing better than you so far. I bet you'd have a fit if you found out that girl's first friend was a boy...Over-protective fool. Though...I'm surprised Sayaku isn't against it. Then again..." The man stood up and went to the kitchen, looking at a picture similar to the one at Razen's office. "The boy is apparently 'logical'...Though you'll never know, will you?" He looked at one more photograph- one of a younger looking Razen and a light-haired colored woman. "Windy...I hope at least you are watching over your children still..."

Lars closed the door to his office and sighed out heavily as he cracked his fingers. "come out come out wherever you are." he said under his breath as he took to the computer screen before him. It had only been a month since the last sighting in Pagosa Springs, Colorado. He had been hunting this set of multiples for almost thirteen years. Every time they were found somehow they managed to escape. He was done playing cat and mouse. With the new funds coming in from capital hill and the new leniency for use of more extreme measures of catching these supernaturals, he was going to hunt them down and bring them back even if it meant they were hanging on to dear life by a thread. He pulled up Durango, Colorado's energy usage files with the start date of them leaving Pagosa. Any outrageous peak meant it was a clue. He knew very well that the triplets were one of the most powerful groups he'd encountered as of yet and with the lead having electromagnetism, a surge in power would have him one step closer. Soon enough he would hit a trail.

--

"What are we going to do with that boy?" Sebastian huffed as he sat down at the kitchen table. "Oh darling he's just strong spirited. I remember you being that passionate once." "This is different. All we're trying to do is protect them and he's acting like i'm destroying the bloody constitution." "They aren't afforded the same freedoms of expression as most kids... it's going to take some time." "Abbie and Adrian see our point." "Yes and they are also more mature and mellow than Aidehn." "I just don't want a repeat of Pagosa." Alessandra shushed her husband and kissed his forehead. "Everything will be okay. Like you said, We are in this together."

As they slept that night Aidehn coudn't snap out of his nightmare. Faint pictures of another supernatural attacking his sister, the sound of her screaming out for them to leave her and run before G.O.S.H arrived. He remembered unable to contain his anger and for the first time in his life being able to create a force field. He didn't know that extracting electric pulses from the air would cost the town it's power, let alone a blackout of such a magnitude. He also didn't expect to nearly blow the block to smithereens. It all happened so fast. Adrian stood beside him, together their powers were magnified at least tenfold. The heat that engulfed his core felt so strong he swore he would be dead when he was done. The field was created and as it traveled to engulf Abbigail it the division of molecular atoms blew her attackers thirty feet away. The lights went out and when the field was released a cracking noise ripped through the night. He knew that had he wanted to, there wouldn't have been a town left.

He tossed and turned feeling the heat in his dream swell up inside. He woke up coming to realization that Adrian and Abbie were shaking him. "Aidehn." she called out quietly wanting not to wake her parents. "I'm up." he sighed. This made it the third time this week he'd been woken drenched in sweat and to his siblings calling him out of this hell he was living in his dreams. "did i wake you?" he searched their eyes. They both nodded. "Don't worry about it." "I'm sorry... I don't mean to have this open channel with you two all the time. I know we all get tired of it at times... it would be nice to be normal for a single day." "Don't worry about it... are you okay though?" Abbie insisted. "I'm fine... just a little uneasy." "Do you need anything?" he shook his head and reached for a towel hanging over the edge of his desk. "I'm going back to bed... if you need me please.... let me know." He nodded curtly at his worrisome sister and sighed laying back down. You did nothing wrong. Adiran mentioned mentally before drifting off into sleep.

The Catane household's night was far from the norm, but it wasn't completely unnatural either. As usual, Flutter had numerous nightmares, but she'd at least gotten a few hours of proper rest. Her brother had often woken up from them, being the one to catch her when she was having a night terror to keep her from having too much trouble. Unfortunately, she did wake once with blood dribbling down her lip- but it was only once, and it had easily been passed over as simply as that. Besides the regular intervals of sleeping and waking, they had a sound night. The morning was much more interesting.

The siblings had woken up as their usual routine one earlier than the other. However, they woke up closer together than usual. When they left bed and went to the kitchen, the sleepier sibling was surprised to find a familiar face in the kitchen. Their uncle was making breakfast. "Uncle...You're not at work?"

"Day off, finally." Their uncle mused, smiling as he placed three plates on the table. "And you're not sleeping in for once. Better rest?"

"About the same..." Flutter yawned and took a seat at the plate with sweetened french toast and a side of berries. Her brother, on the other hand, took a look to find their uncle had remembered his preference for a simple breakfast, and he easily took a seat to eat some salad left for him.

"Don't forget you have a doctor's appointment," Their uncle reminded. Flutter nodded, sighing.

"I have to give the sketchbook back today. Oh, Saya, about what we talked about..."

"I know, I won't forget." He smiled and pat her head. After their breakfasts they went to their normal routine of getting ready for school, before both rushing there in hopes of getting there on time. For once, they made it at a time-schedule that wasn't overly slow.

---

Razen had to return to paperwork. It was the one downside of his job, but he much preferred using people over doing the dirty work. He signed a consent form for Lars to use extreme measures, and leaned back on his chair- he'd given the order before placing the proper paperwork for once. "This time, for sure, we'll get them." Standing, he went to the office clerk to have the paperwork pushed properly. He was inquired about his children, to which he huffed and left without a word. Razen had long given up his humanity to G.O.S.H.. That included his compassion for his family, which had once been strong as was the norm for the Catane family. Now, he'd do any dirty trick in the book, even those not yet written, to get his job and his requirements completed. "This is nothing," He mused, a smirk on his face as he returned to his office and closed the door behind him. Leaning on it, he sighed. ​Nothing at all...Not even near our capabilities.

Abbigail smiled sweetly at the receptionist even though she had explained to the woman for the third time that a tour of the school was unnecessary. "I assure you, we've managed to find our way around without a tour for an entire school day. We are fine, we promise." she said urging her brothers to agree. "Well if you insist. Since you're all here so early I might as well ask how your first day went." Aidehn leaned his head back against the wall and sighed. Persistant one isn't she?Adrian asked his brother telepathically. "It was great. Wasn't at all like the movies depict high schools." Abbie stated wanting to be released from the boring conversation. Her brothers were too easy to ignore simple questions and continue about their lives. Abbigail had always been the communication port into their triad. "You should all pick up some fill out pamphlets for extracurricular activities to show case some of your skills. I hear miss Abbigail is quite the sportsman." She nodded picking up a handful of pamphlets and held back from gunning to the door. "We really should get ready for the day, thanks again ma'am." the three said simultaneously and filed out of the office. "How very odd." the receptionist said.

"Did you help me go back to sleep last night?" Aidehn asked shoving books into his locker. Adrian nodded once his eyes cautiously watching Aidehn's every move. "I didn't need it." "Well... I didn't do it for you." he said in a matter of fact tone and prepared his bag for the first set of classes. "What's that supposed to mean?" "It means..." Abbie interjected walking between her two brothers. "We also see and feel what you feel when you dream so lucidly brother and we all wanted to get some rest... we thought it would help us all." He nodded and shook his head. "This is all it's ever going to be until someone stands up. If we joined the resistance we could be free." Abbigail cornered her brother against the lockers. "You listen here Aidehn. I'm trying my damndest not to cause mom and dad another burden and not to lose my temper with you but you are testing my patience. If you put half as much effort into trying to help this family out than conjuring up stories of battle and a rosey colored future we might be able to actually settle down for once. You want normal... start acting like you're a part of this." Adrian put his hands on his sisters shoulders and patted lightly. "I do believe it is you two causing the lights to flicker slightly this time. Let's get going to class." The two took off in the same direction and looked back over their shoulders at the somber face of their brother.

Adrian sat down in his seat in History class and smiled when Flutter entered sitting down in the desk beside his. He knew she wasn't one to observe something as abstract as art and make perfect sense out of something that is made to break the norms. He did enjoy sketching mostly foliage, plants, flowers, trees. Anything contributing to life even in the smallest amount. "Mr. Quill what is your take on battle plans. Were they worth even planning out?" Adrian tore his gaze from Flutter and cleared his throat. "Well if it hadn't been for plans I don't believe Adolf Hitler would have been one of the most ingenious rivals civilization has ever seen. To have had less technology and still take over as much as he did and cause such a footprint in history... it was because he had plans and determination that over 6 million people were exterminated and a German empire was nearly formed at the expense of conquest of the Soviet Union. He had this planned for years before he even became a Nazi." The teacher nodded his approval of a coherent answer and continued asking other students questions. Adrian settled back into his chair and zoned out.

Flutter, having basically given her answer about the idea of war the day before, had been spared being requested to answer a question that day, having basically been figured out to have participated just by being strangely awake from the beginning. She sat quietly as she listened to Adrian's interesting hypothesis, which she took in carefully to contemplate. There was much logic and explanation in it, and it made it easier for her to understand than the norm of historical reference to her stuck mind. After the teacher finished asking questions and the basics of the lesson, he gave the class permission to mingle, quietly. As such, Flutter still holding onto Adrian's sketchbook, the girl decided to do something unusual and tap on the boy's desk. "Your theory was well displayed." She mused, digging through her bag and holding out the sketchbook to return to him. "Your anatomy of plants is also remarkable. I especially liked your image of the strawberry crop. Strawberries really are quite fetching." She smiled, moving to look at her textbook at the same time, frustrated in an instant and returning to Adrian instead.

Sayaku's class that morning was music yet again, but this time they had an actual piece to practice all together in a way where everyone had to participate in unison. During breaks, Sayaku would be praised and poked by his friends and teacher, who all seemed curious about his nature being slightly different that day. Of course, Sayaku was always a bit more chipper when his uncle was home. It meant he didn't have to worry as much if he went out if Flutter went home on her own, and as well, it meant the two of them had less work to do at the house. Their uncle was a good fellow, Sayaku had no doubt about that. He could see his mother in the man, which was inevitable as they were siblings, but it was mostly in their actions that the two were similar. However, he felt he saw a bit of his father in their uncle too- which, if he ever told the man, would get quite a scolding. To this day, he still didn't understand why.

Adrian smiled and nodded awkwardly. No one other than his family had ever seen his drawings let alone give him a truthful opinion. "Do you like botony?" He asked noticing she had taken in specifically a portrait of plants. "I must say I find them very interesting. There's something about them. I couldn't grow one to save my life for that I have Abbigail and her amazing pow..." He caught himself mid sentence and mentally chastised himself for being so open about his sister's gift. "Her green thumb astounds me." He tried to correct himself quickly. He quickly opened up to a page in his sketch pad and showed Flutter the drawing of their backyard back in Colorado. "She could spend all day outside if she were allowed." He smiled proudly.

When the bell rang for lunch Abbigail quickly found her seat. She pulled out of her backpack a small bowl with left over salad. "How's it going?" Adrian asked joining her also removing his lunch from his bag. "From what I've heard the swim team's try outs are today. Do you think mom and dad would be angry if I stayed after school?" "Do you want us to stay and wait for you?" Aidehn asked as he sat down as well. She looked at him the anger from before subsiding. She loved her brothers dearly. All she wanted was what was best for them all as a group. "You don't have to I know my way home." Adrian took a bite and shrugged. "All right but if mom and dad freak you're going to have to tell 'em you made us go." She smiled at Aidehn and excitedly finished her meal. She couldn't wait to get into the water.

It seemed like slow motion to Abbigail as she stood on the platform crouched down into the position to dive. The coach blew the whistle and they were off. Nearly thirty girls had shown up to try out. All the boys sat in the bleachers cheering them on. At least that's what Abbie hoped they were cheering for and not some perverted reason. The water felt like home to her. Being an elemental she could have left them all in her dust if she wanted to but she also had raw talent. Her mother said she should've been born with gills for as much as she loved water. Out of all her powers the ability to control water was by far her strongest. With ever stroke she pulled ahead of the girls and when she flipped around to return she was like a torpedo beneath the surface. When she resurfaced at the beginning end of the pool the coach applauded. "Where have you been all my life?" She laughed and pulled herself out of the pool. "If you thought you would be denied a spot think again. Nationals here we come." He excitedly pat her back and encouraged other girls. A boy that looked to be in a class a year above her whistled over at her while she wrapped a towel around herself. "Well well fast in the water and attractive. Why don't you let me take you out some time?" As if he had said something amusing his surrounding posse chuckled. She rolled her eyes and turned to pick up her bag. "Seriously though, you're girlfriend material. I'd like to see how well you do going down... under that is." again the guys chuckled. She lifted an annoyed eyebrow at him. "Does that shit actually work around here?" She scoffed in the back of her mind she wished her brothers had stayed to wait for her.

"I have an herb garden at home," Flutter mused with awkward excitement in response. "Sayaku says my love for plants might be inherited, since mom really loved them too...That, and we come from a farming village originally. But...I find plants very interesting. Many plants have medicinal properties. They actually have started to make pills that contain blueberries, you know. And cranberries are great for the digestive track, to help clean it out. You should drink cranberry juice regularly in order to protect yourself from a possible UTI." She giggled, adding, "That's what I was told by the nurse once. She used to make me a mixture of apple and cranberry juice for me when I'd go when my blood sugar got low...Or orange juice with it, but apple juice was better to me."

Flutter could spend all day talking about plants and medicinal properties. It was just how she was, and it was her niche. It was likely the one thing she and her brother could talk about easily together- plants. However, Flutter seemed to specialize more with herbs and small fruits, while her brother was quite good with other things. "So your sister has a powerful way with plants?" She'd caught his changing his wording mid-sentence, but Flutter wasn't the type to believe in magic or anything beyond scientific explanation. So, she had simply thought he'd changed his wording to fit what he thought she'd understand- which she was thankful for, to a degree. "Either way, you're both even more interesting to me now though. But you all seem interesting enough already. Just...Don't tell Saya I said that. He may faint from shock...He said so."

Sayaku happened to be a bit of a water lover himself, and had overheard the girl talking to her brothers about swim team tryouts. He happened to know that some guys in the area were a bit awkward with their perversions, and he was honestly a bit worried. Thus, he went to the tryouts as well, letting his sister go home to their uncle without him again. Plus, he still had to invite the siblings over, and hadn't gotten to earlier that day. When he saw the boy starting to cause her annoyance, he waltzed over, putting a light arm around her. "Stop bugging her." He mused simply. The boy scoffed.

"I'm surprised you of all people is trying to get in my way here," He'd noted. Sayaku was a bit well known at school- both for being slightly popular due to his natural kindness, and for his clear sister-complex. However, some of the guys knew him to be a bit timid when it came to girls otherwise. This was one of those guys. "So even the wuss has an interest in the girls sometimes."

"I don't get what you're getting at," Sayaku responded simply. "But I do get that you're bothering my friend. You'd be best getting your kicks from a ram then an innocent girl with nothing to do with you. Let her enjoy swimming without making it part of your weird fantasies, why don't you?" He smiled innocently when the boy got frustrated, and got hit in the arm- which was a strangely weak hit to him. When the teacher called over, he waved. "I'm fine. The guy hits like my sister. But you should probably send him out anyway before he hits on more of the girls. You know he's done this last year too." He waved to the boy before moving the arm he had around Abbigail off her. "Go get changed. I'll walk you home, at least part way. I needed to chat with you anyway. My uncle and my sister were talking over the idea of you and your brothers coming over at some point."

Adrian smiled shyly at Flutter. He shrugged off his careless disclosure and nodded. "Abbie has always had a hand for plants. She especially likes rare flowers. Her newest endeavor is attempting to propogate a ghost orchid. On our way here we happened to come upon an older woman in a cabin in the woods who happened to have a barren one. Still alive, Abbigail believes she can get it to bloom. If no one else I'm sure she can." He laughed slightly when she said Sayaku would faint from shock. "Abbie seems to believe it's shocking as well that i've carried conversations with anyone let alone a girl." he smiled looking up at her fixing his glasses in place. He felt foolish and giddy. Probably what his siblings had felt when they had previously had a connection with another person. He would be sure to ask Abbigail as soon as they were home.

Abbigail stared at the guy and was so relieved to see Sayaku walk her way. She found it amusing how unnerved his arm around her made the other guy feel. When the guy went to hit Sayaku it took everything in her not to quickly freeze the small puddle he was standing on so that he'd slip before he had a chance to hit him. She knew very well that they were not allowed to use their powers outside the safety of their home. "Are you all right?" she asked picking up her bag to do as he asked her to. When he nodded she quickly made her way into the lockers. She latched the lock in the stall and dried off pulling her clothes on. "Did you hear that new girl turn Daniel down?" some girls began gossiping. "She's crazy!" they giggled. Abbigail shook her head and pulled the hood of her jacket on and slowly opened the door. "Did you see Sayaku put his arm around her!" "Oh please he said he was just her friend. I'm sure he's into girls that don't go to school. He's not the dating type." "Although he is good looking." they continued to giggle. They all hushed when they saw Abbie walk between them quietly. She had nothing to say to them. Let them mull out gossip, that's all it was.

She walked out of the locker room and walked over to where Sayaku was standing by the wall. "I'm ready." she said still hearing the muffled giggles from the girls lavatory. "We're on the east side of town. On Greenwich street." She shoved her hands in her jacket pockets and took the lead. "Thanks for what you did back there. I could've handled it but i appreciate it I'm sure my brothers will also be very thankful to you. They're quite protective" she smiled. "What did he mean when he said the wuss has an interest in girls? You're quite nice and I hear you're very charming. I'm surprised you don't have a girlfriend or at least an interest." she mused looking over at him. "As for coming over that would be lovely, mom and dad genuinely will have some reservations since we are new and... well it's a bit complicated in our house. Nonetheless I'm sure once they've met you and your sister they'll be okay" she said letting her sentence drift off. The trio had made friends for once in a very long time but the fragility of their situation threatened that very fact.

Aidehn had been out on a jog when his inner core gave off that feeling. One of his siblings was more alert than usual. Maybe not something life threatening, but certainly something to prep them for a fight. He quickly ran home and found Adrian pulling a sweater on as he was walking out the door. "Abbie." they said in unison ready to take off for the school. Before they had gotten a block towards the school in full sprint the feeling was gone. Abbigai? they both asked in consonance. I'm fine brothers. she had answered from the inside of the stall. Go home, I'll be home soon.

Flutter giggled a bit, smiling to him. "I as well. I'm not usually all that interested in people. But most people have very little logical sense, I've found..." Looking at her desk lightly, she took some quick notes for herself before looking at him. "A ghost orchid? I've heard of them, but I've never seen one of up close. One day I'd like to, though. They're very pretty, I've heard." She leaned back, pondering it. "Though I still like lilacs best. I don't know why, but...Lilacs have always drawn me in..."

Sayaku hadn't known much about the gossip around him, but wasn't likely overly surprised that it was likely. Sayaku was known for his lack of romantic interest in girls- no one seemed to know why, even though he was generally an open book about it. However, he didn't seem to care anyway. The guys seemed to understand better than the girls, though, about his general issues. After all...Even though he was friendly with girls, he still get along better with boys.

"Ah, that? Well, it's not a big deal really...I'm just not really good with girls. Last time I dated a girl, and the time before that...Well, let's say I have bad luck with women. So far, I seem to end up in some fairly unhealthy relationships..." He shook his head as he thought of the memory. "I'm pretty strong...Come from a family of farmers, and as a kid I helped take care of the livestock. But there are girls that are a lot stronger than a ram, I'll have you know. Well, you already know that. But..." He laughed a bit. "My childhood friend was my first love...We got along well, normally. Still do overall, but...She sort of had anger management issues. There was a mountain near our village...And she and I used to go there a lot to play. But sometimes, when we were there, she'd sort of use me as a punching bag when she was having stress issues. Figured I could handle it since I was used to being rammed by rams and kicked by horses. But..."

He shook his head as he spoke, smiling to him. "I shouldn't be telling you my life story here. But let's put it simply. Even if you don't get overly injured from a physical assault, you get hurt emotionally no matter what. I guess...I sort of avoid getting too close because of it. Trust me...I love my sister, and there are plenty of nice girls. But...So far, I just haven't found the right one I guess, you know? I figure being more careful is the best method in this case..."

Smiling it off, he began to move his arms behind his head, trying to seem more relaxed. He let the pain out of his mind and returned to other conversation. "We can go to your house first at some point then, if you'd like. We'll be on our best behavior- which you already know, basically. My uncle won't mind either...He just thought it'd be nice to meet you since he's been home a bit more recently- change in work schedule it seems like. But...When sis shows an interest in someone, it's a sudden thing for us. So he's probably especially interested in how that suddenly happened. Then again, I don't fully get it either- but I know you guys as well, so...I'm not quite as shocked as he is."

Adrian nodded lightly at her. "Abbie has always been a rare horticulturist. She's been interested in endangered flowers for as long as I can remember. Last couple of years she's been working on a jade vine. It was quite sad when it died." he shook his head slightly remembering the attack all too vividly. He pressed his eye lids shut tight to erase the memory and looked at her once more. Her eyes were as captivating as the flowers his sister studied. "As soon as she has them blooming... you will be the first to know." After walking away from her as the bell rang he had made up his mind that he was going to have Abbigail help him grow lilacs.

Abbigail listened to him tell his story and couldn't believe how unfortunate his first love ended up being. "Well first love or not, it isn't normal... or acceptable by any means for a girl to treat a boy unkindly... less if that boy happens to be her significant other." She smiled when he said he was giving his life story out to her. "Well... first love..." she giggled suddenly stopping in her tracks. "Believe it or not your first love sounds better than mine ever did!" She covered her mouth as she fought a fit of giggles. "First off, my brothers were always there... like hounds! I couldn't get a moment's peace with the guy. Also they were so annoying. The first time I held his hand they ran off and told mom I'd stuffed my tongue in his mouth... mind you I never did." She shook her head once more remembering her annoying brothers and the scared boy. "Young love turned quickly into impatience of having to deal with the whole third and fourth wheels... and he found another, who had no baggage so to speak. My brothers felt bad but like I told them, If he had truly loved me, he wouldn't have gone off with the first pair of batting eye lashes that came his way."

"I admire you for your wanting to wait for the right person than be a punching bag... I do hope that when you find such girl... she treats you right like you treat others. You deserve a kindhearted, sweet girl. Someone to match your character." She smiled at him "I'll talk to mom and dad tonight about having you guys over. I'm sure Adrian's more than excited to show Flutter his other art pieces. You know... I think he actually may have a budding crush for your sister." She smiled again thinking of her blushing brother. She knew he would be annoyed with her but it was worth it. "I'm sure they'll have no problem with you guys visiting and then we'll reciprocate." She nodded her head in agreement and continued on towards home.

Once she had arrived home her brothers stood pacing the front lawn. "What happened?" they asked in unison. "Just some tool tried to start some drama but no worries... I felt stressed for three seconds cause I didn't want to cause a scene or use any powers but I had a knight so to say." she smiled and walked in the front door and out the back one towards her flowers. "A knight?" they asked in chorus once more. "Sayaku happened to stay after school and was there to tell the guy off pretty much. It was all pretty dumb but I told him you guys would be so grateful to him." "We are. We're never leaving you after school again." "Why's that?" Sebastian said walking in from the garage. "No reason dad." the three pronounced. "All right then fibbers. See you at supper." They nodded and Aidehn ran up to his room. "Abbie...?" Abbigail sensed his hesitation. "Yes Adrian?" "C...Can I ask you a favor?" She smiled sitting down on the ground feeling a new sense of serenity being near a power so deeply rooted within her being. She focused intensely on her pot with a small green stem protruding from the soil. She was going to work with it until it produced a ghost orchid. "Go on Adrian, spit it out." "Can you help me grow lilacs?" She broke her concentration for a second smiling over at her brother and returned to notice a single unopened bud on the stem.

Flutter had waved when he left, smiling. She was sure the plant would grow well somehow, even if the jade vine hadn't. She had decided after the talk to read up on the two particular plants, hoping maybe to help Abbigail if she found something useful. Even though she was bad at reading most of the time, she would read anything that had to do with plants or math. And helping a friend? Well, that seemed like a nice idea- though she couldn't help but wonder how the word 'friend' suddenly appeared in her mental dictionary. Logic was beginning to fail her.

"Unfortunately, your brother will have the same experience as your ex then. I mean no offense, but...My sister's sickly. At least for a first date- if one should ever come to happen, of course- I'd want to keep an eye on her. Though...Adrian seems trustworthy enough. But...It's still something I'd rather keep an eye on at least at first..." He laughed nervously. It was sad to admit he had a sister complex, but there were times he would admit his concern for his sister did border on obsessive. However, he meant well. He was actually sure he could trust Adrian anyway- but he'd admit the possibility as a safety precaution.

"Well, I appreciate your kind words. I'm sure it'll happen someday. And someday you'll find someone who will accept your brother's concerns straight-forwardly, rather than running away from them. You're a straight forward and good girl. I'm sure there's a guy who'll find you and be happy for it, and be able to reciprocate."

When they'd neared separation, he'd waved farewell before heading home. Once there, he wasn't surprised to see his sister and uncle relaxing together. His sister was sitting on their uncle's lap, but seemed to have dozed off. Their uncle, meanwhile, held a book about botany- one of many in the household bought for her. "She fell asleep with you reading to her, huh?"

"I was surprised she asked me to help her look into jade vines and ghost orchids, but...She seems to have a sudden interest in them." Sayaku's mind already played the reason that was likely in his head, but he decided not to push it. "Ah...Sis and I were told our friends want to have us over first most likely, okay?"

"Certainly," Their uncle mused. However, as he was moving Flutter off his lap, he noticed a slight wince from Sayaku's lips. "Did something happen?"

"Just a ram," The boy responded. His uncle shook his head. "It's nothing. A guy just hit me for stopping him from causing trouble. It'll heal quick."

"Put some ice on it and don't strain it too much. You're a strong boy, Sayaku, but you still need to watch your health."

"Yeah, I know..." He smiled and got the ice, moving to the couch to watch his sister. "It's hard to believe she fell asleep with you in the room. I guess things are starting to change..."

"Indeed. Let's just hope it's for the better." The two males sighed before separating tasks- Sayaku keeping an eye on his sister while meals were in the midst of being made.

Abbie nodded at him. "If you don't mind me asking... sickly? Does she have an incurable disease?" She felt like she might trespassing onto their personal lives once again and decided if he wasn't open to talk about his sister she would not press further. "If Adrian does ever get the courage, I'm pretty sure he will have a group setting, he's terrified of interactions. Hope that eases your worry although as his sister, I can assure you that he is trustworthy." She smiled hoping that his words were true. Maybe someday they would be free from all the craziness of G.O.S.H. and could find someone to see her as herself, not a freak. She'd be amazed if one day she could openly say, 'Hi my name is Abbigail and I have superhuman powers.' She sighed softly and waved at him when he took towards his house. She ran most of the way home.

Adrian slowly moved to touch the bulb and she nearly smacked his hand. "Are you wishing death?" He laughed and shook his head. "You want no help?" "I could make it grow perfectly if I wanted to... I want it to fight for itself. I helped it grow a bulb, now it is the flowers turn to fight." "Okay... now Lilacs?" She smiled over at him and raised an eye brow. "Brother... you want to grow lilacs?" he blushed slightly and nodded. "Can I ask why?" "I'm suddenly interested in lilacs." "Really... this has nothing to do with another person... a girl maybe?" "No Abbigail." He countered crossing his arm. "You look five years old again telling me lies." He scrunched his eye brows at her. "fine... We're going to need to get seeds." "Can't you just grow it?" "That would be easy but if you wanted to show some real interest in a flower, I think it's best if you grow it without the use of powers... especially if it's meant somehow subconsciously for someone else." She smiled at him. "Hey mom can we go to the store?" She called from the back door. "Why Abbigail?" "Adrian and I need flowers." Alessandra peeked from the kitchen sheepishly at her kids and nodded.

They darted out of the car as soon as they had parked. "I believe this is the first time we've been somewhere other than school or home." Aidehn said grabbing a cart. "Let's take our time." Adrian said looking around. Abbigail took off towards the gardening department and browsed the seed options. The sales associate stared at her confused. The plants that were for sale were all suddenly leaning towards her. He shook his head and blinked quite hard a few times and when she walked to the other side of the seed display the flowers all leaned the other way. She smiled up at him picking two packets of Lilacs and cocked her head to the side looking at his scared expression. She turned to see the flowers and swallowed hard. She didn't think that she was gravitating any inner power. "Must be the wind." She said quickly walking out of the area and towards finding her brothers. We're done we have go. she said scanning the aisles. We just got here Abbies She sighed frustratingly and paid for the seeds crawling into the car's back seat.

"Everything all right?" her mother asked looking back at her through the mirror. "Mom I didn't think I was exuding any power but the flowers... they were bending my way... that guy looked really freaked out." She looked up with tears in her eyes. "Oh Abbigail there's no need to cry it's okay sweetheart." "I just don't want to leave when we just got here... I don't want it to be my fault I'm so tired of moving mom." The few tears that lined the rims of her eyes had begun to fall. "Call your brothers now." she said curtly knowing they had ignored their sister. She was genuinely worried and they weren't with her when she left the store. Mom's pissed you need to get to the car now. She heard her brothers mentally sigh. She pulled her knees up against her chest and wrapped her arms around them hiding her tearful face. She heard the car door open and them climb in. "What was that all about?" Aidehn asked. "We'll talk at home. I'm dissapointed in you two." With that the engine turned over and they drove home.

Sayaku had merely smiled weakly in response to Abbie's interest in his sister's predicament. He'd explain it later, he told himself- but right now wasn't likely the right timing. Thus, he stayed quiet about it, and listened to her other ideas regarding their siblings. Unaware of G.O.S.H. and such, he had no idea about the idea of supernatural powers. However, even if he did, he likely wouldn't care. But instead, since he didn't know, he just smiled and listened. She was interesting, to say the least. It was a nice change.

Eventually, while resting, his sister woke up. "Saya...? What time is it...?" Rubbing her eyes, she sat up properly and looked around.

"It's not dinner time yet." Sayaku responded. "So, suddenly interested in some rare plants, I see." He chuckled a bit, adding, "I can't help but wonder where that came from."

"I was told Abbigail likes rarer plants...She tried to grow a jade vine and only recently did it pass...And she's trying to grow a ghost orchid...So I thought I'd find information to help."

"I see, so you're just happy you found a fellow plant lover." The boy grinned, standing up lightly.

"You're injured...Want some pain reliever?"

"If it's anything you make, no." The boy laughed before heading towards the kitchen. "Go wash up. I smell food almost ready. Oh, and Abbigail said they'd talk to their parents about having us over first, okay?"

"Okay...I'll make something to bring when we do as a treat." She smiled before her brother walked off. "I wonder...If it'd be easier to communicate using the phone? I should've talked to big brother about it..."

Alessandra sat in the arm chair across from the triplets taking up the sofa. "Boys." They looked up at their mother whose face was full of tension. "What have I told you about leaving your sister alone?" "Mom." she tried to interrupt but with a swift motion of her hand, Abbigail bit her lip. "She called to you and I'm sure she did because I know you better than you know yourselves." they simply nodded. "Forgive us mom, not that we are saying we're prisoners or anything... we haven't been out since we moved here and we were a little excited to be somewhere other than home." she nodded slightly. "It's crucial, you know this, for you all to keep a tight leash on your powers. Abbigail was resonating just enough to have a sales associate notice slightly. The dangers of this are dire and you know it." again they did nothing but nod. "Your father is going to be upset and will probably be up all night making sure this hiccup is covered." she sighed and massaged the tension away. Adrian and Aidehn simultaneously looked at Abbie who sat between them. She lowered her head in defeat.

After they had eaten dinner Abbigail had decided to spend some time with her flowers. She planted some of the lilacs on her own and let Adrian plant the rest. When he finished patting the freshly implanted ground and looked up at her grinning he shook his head. She touched one finger to the ground and as she slowly lifted it further away the plant grew beneath her. The more she moved the more it grew, the bubls plopped off and with a soft barely audible gasp of life, the flowers bloomed. "And you couldn't just grow these?" She shook her head and inhaled the sweet scent. "I'm going to go get some water allright." "No need." she said to him with a satisfying smile. "Why?" She pointed up and breathed in and out slowly. When her exhale finished the first few drops fell. "Show off." he muttered jokingly as they walked towards the front door. Aidehn met them at the door and looked out. "Well there goes my jog." he sighed. "Umbrellas exist you know." their father said drinking his coffee and motioning for Abbie to join him in his study.

"I'm sorry dad." "Oh sweetheart it's all right. Your mom told me a bit of what happened. Did you have a good day?" She plopped down onto the chair infront of his large desk and nodded. "Eventful." she smiled weakly. "I'm running some tests and searches, We've contacted the associate and to our luck he happened to be taking a new medication, a little talk with his doctor and we have a new hallucinogen side effect." She sighed finding solace in the unfortunate event. "You know from all three that you have always been the most careful. I don't have to remind you how terribly important it is to keep yourself diligently under control." "Yeah... I know dad." She smiled up at him. He walked over to where she was and engulfed her in his large arms. she felt like a little girl again. Amaing how father's hugs can be so therapeutic. he kissed her forehead and sent her on her way. "goodnight love." "night dad."

That night the triplets had the same dream. G.O.S.H had come, the battle had reeked havoc on the small town, so many lives. They tossed and turned knowing the government would just take this small town and wipe if off the map if it was necessary to keep their dirty secret covered. Adrian's dream turned harrowing when to get to him they threatened to involve Flutter. They all woke up from their dreams at the same time, drenched in sweat. Abbie knocked on their door. It opened with a nod from Adrian and she threw her pillow and blanket on the floor. Another all nightear they said and attempted once more to reach sleep

The night had raged on as usual in the Catane house as well. Though surprised his sister had fallen asleep easily, she seemed to just as quickly reach a state of over-excitement in her dreams, tossing about and thrashing like a fish on a line. Sayaku, woken up by the noise his sister was making, woke her gently enough to exit the bad dream, before watching her collapse straight back into slumber. Sighing, he went to the kitchen for a snack.

Their uncle was still awake, doing paperwork. "Sayaku? What are you doing up?"

"Sis was making more noise than a rooster when the sun rises...It woke me up." He said his words quickly, opening the fridge to get a carrot stick. "You're up late again."

"Just looking into some things..." The man replied with a yawn.

"Dad again?" Sayaku frowned alongside his uncle. The boy wasn't fully aware of the scenario of his father, but he knew more than his sister. His sister was under the hypnotic idea that their parents were both dead- however, in actuality, Sayaku knew that their father had merely gone missing- because he was there when he'd suddenly left, for the most part. "You always seem to be looking into him lately, uncle. Why not just leave him alone? He's the one who left."

"Yes...He left two wonderful children- my sister's children, and his- for something we don't know or understand." The man leaned back. "Your father's a fool."

"Have you been worrying about us lately? Is that why you suddenly changed your work schedule?"

"You two are growing faster than I can shake a stick at." The man stood, patting Sayaku's back. "You're both good kids. You deserve better."

"We have plenty. We have you, don't we? Flute's happy...And I like this place too. So...Stop worrying so much. You should try to smile more. It's like mom always said, right? The best way to live is with a smile on your face." He smiled as he spoke, finishing his snack. "I'll head back to bed. But Uncle...Try to relax. You'll make us worry more if you don't, you know." Waving, he went back to bed awkwardly, sighing as he stared at the cieling. "Though he's right. Dad's a plain ol' fool..."

"Breakfast." Alessandra called to her children upstairs. All three groaned awake. Abbigail sat up her body stiff from sleeping on her brothers' bedroom floor. "I told you I'd take the floor." Aidehn said snickering at her hair that awkwardly stood up on one side. "Never mind..." she grunted getting up to her feet. She splashed her face with cold water to wake up and looked at herself in the mirror. "Mighty me look at this face." she shook her head and pulled her hair up into a bun, there was no use fighting to get it to look presentable. They dressed quickly and convened at the kitchen table. The boys who always fed like a pair of wolves swallowed bites of apple french toast. Abbie looked at them awkwardly daintily eating her grapefruit and bagel. "Mom... can we have some friends over?" Adrian asked in between bites. Alessandra smiled sheepishly at her son. "Like a party?" "no... like two friends." She looked at her other children who nodded their desire as well and she grinned. "Well then I have some shopping to do for supper don't I." "You don't have to make an event out of it ma." Aidehn said putting his dish in the sink.

As they arrived at school Aidehn looked around. "Since you have history with Flutter, you should let her know that we'd like them over for dinner. Have fun." Aidehn mused at his brother. "Why does he have to be so annoying?" Abbigail smiled and nudged her brother. "Because it's the first time we've gotten to pick on you for something non freak-like." "I feel so very special." "Oh dearest brother you should." She said in a fake english accent. He shook his head and waved at her as she ran towards her class. They were early enough that he was first in the classroom. He sat sketching the ghost orchid's progress. He hadn't seen one bloom ever in real life either and he knew that this one would be fascinating. When the bell rang and people filed into the classroom he felt a bit anxious. Does she know anything about the plan of us inviting them over anyway? He asked his siblings. I don't know. they answered in chorus. Great i'm only going to sound like a dumbass asking her out. he shook his head erasing part of the lilacs he had begun to draw.

He heard her footsteps before he saw her. He looked up at her and smiled. "Hello." he said awkwardly instantly chastising himself for his childish behavior. "Mom and dad said that they would love it if you guys could join us for dinner tonight. We told them it didn't have to be fancy or anything but... i can't lie mom thinks this is like the fall of the berlin wall." he laughed to himself. Because of their situation, they hadn't had time to make friends in any of the previous cities they had lived at. It was a nice change for everyone, not just the triplets. Alessandra had visited the store and cleaned up the house and was planning to prepare a simple roast loaded with vegetables and her favorite cheesecake filled strawberries.

When the bell rang for PE Abbie changed quickly and went to ran down the stairs knocking directly into Daniel, the tool from the day before, as she turned the corner. "Just the girl i wanted to see." he smiled at her. "Excuse me." she said trying to maneuver around him. "Pretty impressive moves on the court the other day." "thank you." she said flatly. "You looked damn good in the water the other day too... especially when you were standing there still wet from your swim." she scoffed at him trying to push through once again. "Get out of my way." Aidehn heard his sister from within the locker and without pulling his shirt on walked out the door with Adrian following him. "Is there a problem here?" he asked curtly enunciating every single word. His muscles from rigorous workouts displayed tensing as if ready for a fight. Abbigail felt the heat swell within her core and feared it would set off something that would give them away. "Aidehn it's all right." "It's none of your business Quill, i'm talking to your sis here." he said wrapping his hand around her wrist trying to pull her towards him more. Like a flash before her eyes Adrian used his power forcing Daniel's grip to loosen just enough so he wouldn't notice and pulled his sister back towards him while Aidehn pushed him back against the wall. "Put your hands on my sister again and I'll kill you."

The morning was about the same as usual. Flutter had slept in this time as was the more usual method in the house, and while Sayaku was in the shower, her uncle had woken her up. Helping her out of bed because she was dizzy, the two worked on getting her long hair fully brushed- which was both awkward and yet not unusual to Flutter, who had been used to his style of brushing her hair since she was small. When she murmured a thank you, she joined him and her brother in the kitchen, but her fatigue was still written on her face.

"You were thrashing a lot, so I'm not surprised you're tired. Take a nap during gym." Her brother noted his words carefully, and she merely nodded. "Right...You have class with Adrian, right? Abbigail said they'd ask their parents about dinner, so...Ask him if you can. I know it's usually my field, but..."

"Understood." She said with a smile. When at school, because of the conversation earlier on with her brother and uncle, Flutter wasn't surprised by Adrian's words- however, she was in fact surprised by how quickly they'd come, not realizing he was seeking her footsteps. She broke away from the surprise of his sudden statement quickly before smiling. "Big brother mentioned to ask about it, so the timing is perfect. I'll let him know later. Ah...What time should we stop by? Uncle might be home enough for me to tell him beforehand...Otherwise I have to call him at work. But he'll worry if we don't tell him where we are." She kept her smile easily, adding, "If this is the fall of the Berlin Wall to her...Than it's probably the building of the Great Wall of China to my uncle. At least, I think that's an adequate analogy...? I'm actually bad at most things with history...But using a war reference might seem weird here..."

When it was time for PE, Sayaku and Flutter had the same period. Flutter was in the locker rooms after Abigail finished changing, because she was half asleep while trying to get into her gym uniform. Even if she didn't participate, she figured it easier to do so. She coughed lightly into her hand as she left the room, her brother nearby to check on her. However, the noise from Abbigail and Daniel seemed to catch their attention. Flutter was actually the first there, despite being the slower of the two.

"Big brother, that person is causing trouble again." She mused lightly. She looked to her brother, who seemed already frustrated.

"He's more stubborn than a mule about resting during summer. Seriously...I get the feeling he wouldn't come to school if he weren't forced."

"Really? I thought he came to cause trouble. Like a rooster in a chicken coop." Flutter giggled at her own usage of a familiar term in their family, while her brother shook his head.

"You need to stick to plant and war references, sis..." Shaking it off, he pat her head before patting Aidehn's shoulder while he was pushing Daniel against the wall. "You're better off reporting him to the authorities for sexual harrasment. Taking him on yourself is just going to get you into trouble too, as much as I hate to let him go considering how he is."

"There's no need," Flutter replied in response. "I signed to the teacher already. He said he was contacting the principal while we were on our way."

"Seriously, if nothing else, special ed did help you be subtle with getting help...Now if you'd stop saying what you do afterwards. You're gonna get hurt eventually from it."

"If he tries, he'll be arrested. Or poisoned...Or hit." The last part referred to her brother, and she merely smiled as she said it before tugging on Abbigail's hand lightly. "Are you okay?"

Adrian smiled at her analogy. "I consider it a perfect analogy." he nodded and then looked upwards as if pondering. "Mom usually serves dinner at six. So about that time maybe?" He was a tad bit excited to have other people around their age over. Usually it was his father's acquaintances that visited the house. "Are you okay? You look a little tired." He asked taking in her slightly weary eyes. "Hope you had a better night than I last night." he smiled softly. "Tossed and turned for most of the night."

Abbigail looked over at Flutter when she asked and nodded. "Yes thank you... just want to get down stairs and my brothers with me before something happens." She said looking over at Adrian who nodded an answer to her. Abbigail continued down the stairs with Flutter past Sayaku and Aidehn with Daniel.Come on brother you're going to lose your temper. None of us need that right now. Aidehn listened to the words of his brother and Sayaku and released his grip on Daniel. "I don't want to see you around my sister again. You have a problem with her or want to talk to her you come through me." with that he pulled the shirt Adrian brought out with him on and continued down the stairs into the gymnasium. They walked over to Abbie and Flutter and Adrian eyed her wrist. "Does it hurt?" He asked worriedly. She shook her head. "Just a little sore nothing too bad." "You should probably rest." "I want to take my anger out on the court." Adrian nodded and Aidehn stood stretching watching Daniel like a hawk breathing a small sigh of relief when he was sent to the principals office.