Writing Levels
  1. Advanced
  2. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. No Preferences
Genres
Fantasy, politics, historical fiction, romance
DoJYXRf.jpg

his is the way the world ends. The kingdoms of Illius to the north and Blythe to the south have been gridlocked in a war that has lasted centuries, neither country coming to fair conclusions and riddling the battlefield with deception and cheats. The two sides stopped at nothing to gain the upper hand, constantly defying the will of the gods to smite the other side, until the Great Truce of Neutrality. The two sides met and agreed to end the bloodshed on the basis that neither side would cross borders or interact with each other until the end of time. This greatly effected trade routes from neighboring countries and launched the lands into a cold war, all politics and arranged marriages and trade allies, no more bloodshed. But that was what the people wanted, was it not?

Perhaps. Until the plague smothered Blythe in its grip.

A great curse has taken over much of the southern kingdom, leaving a measly three-percent unexposed. A magical plague, the darkness fills the hearts of those it comes into contact with and turns them completely beserk and bloodthirsty. After nearly two-hundred years of peace on the battlefield between Blythe and Illius, war was sparked again so carelessly by the diseased southern king, and all has plunged into chaos. King Roylan de'Illius remains oblivious to the claims of a plague, convinced that the southerners are evil brutes showing their true colors and must be immediately dealt with. The world of Terralenn is so hopelessly bathing in its own demise, and Princess Evelyn of Blythe sees it. Clutching the few papers of prophecy and tokens of proof for her claim, she rides north to the harsh colds of the northern Illius to beg pardon for her diseased people.

Will King Roylan listen, or will the world end the way prophecy deems it should?

top-divider-detox-spa-retreats-california-purple.png
King Roylan de'Illius, #004c82
The bitter winds of a winter morning clung to his skin, desperate to settle in its warmth. The gentle flakes of snowfall nestled across the stone courtyards, on treetops and castle walls, on the shoulders of his tunic and the soft waves of ebony hair clinging to his royal head. King Royal de'Illius was not a man to sit and admire nature's beauty; he much preferred the thrill of the hunt or drawing over battle plans, enacting laws meeting the people's demand with an iron grip. But today, however, could be quite the exception. Snow blanketed everything the eye could see, bringing with it a series of icy breezes that lightly shifted the branches of smothered trees, glittering under the light of a hidden sun. It was beautiful and terribly intimidating all at once. Roylan found himself questioning if the properties of snow could be applied to the field of battle, garrison upon garrison stacking one upon the other until his enemies were flooded and choked with defeat. He would taste a lie to say the idea was not a tempting one. If only soldiers were frozen rain, he thought, and Blythe was the earth. I could smother it and this bloodshed could be over.

However, it would also be untrue to say he didn't enjoy warfare. Roylan was a hard man of few convictions, loved by those who craved wealth and status in the kingdom of Illius, hated by those who barely had enough money to feed their starving families. The harvest had not been plentiful this year, and due to bad trade relations with Lanistra in the west he had partially given up on the endeavor to find a replacement for his kingdom's foul luck in the fields. He had suffered several months with promises of rebellion and internal strife within Illius, but what was there to do about it? These were times of war. They're such an impatient lot. Can't they see I'm a bit preoccupied?

"Your majesty?" came a voice from the threshold of the arched entranceway. Roylan turned, a look of general frustration about him as he never liked being disturbed when he was deep in thought atop the balcony to his personal chambers, but his butler wouldn't summon him unless it was absolutely important. "What is it, Laurence? Make it quick."

"A rider in the night," he said breathlessly. "A woman."

"A woman?" Roylan chuckled. "How brave. What did she want?"

"She claims to have urgent business with you, Your Grace. A matter of utmost importance."

"Did she say what it was?"

"No, majesty."

"Hmph. Interesting." Roylan stroked the stubble on his jaw in thought. It wouldn't be the first time someone had marched up to the royal guard and claimed to have some issue with the king and his decrees, and he had more than enough of random paupers bombarding him with accusations and rude remarks, but clearly this case was different. Laurence would not have bothered him if he hadn't thought it was a matter worth wasting time on. Passively, he waved a hand to dismiss the butler and his message. "Bring her to the throne room. I'll see her in ten minute's time."

"At once, Your Grace." The man disappeared behind curtains of indigo and black, and after several more minutes of silent contemplation King Roylan quickly followed suit. He snatched the crown of gold and onyx from his bedside table and placed it upon his head, clasping a kingly cape about his shoulders and taking a long swig from a goblet of brandy he'd left on his desk the night before. He never liked facing the people, never enjoyed hearing of their insignificant plights and problems, but he supposed it was better to get it over with sooner rather than later. There were battles to plan. There were enemies to crush. There was a war to rage, and Roylan would be damned if anyone got in his way.

He exited his chambers on the high of initiative, confident he could face whatever foolish challenges a woman could bring.

Last edited:
Princess Evelyn Charis de'Blythe, #ffcc99

The dreary night had finally passed, but the bitter cold was still ever so present underneath Evelyn's ivory skin. Despite the rising sun, the winter winds continued to blow straight through the petite princess, that of which sent rapid shivers up and down her spine. She had been travelling for a while to reach the northern kingdom, finally having gathered the courage to plea to their king. She was sure that nobody knew of the true reason behind her people's brutal actions, for most probably thought that they all have simply lost their minds. In all reality, however, Evelyn was sure some sort of evil was at work behind the scenes. Her parents would never turn into such monsters on their own. Her soul was screaming that fact. It just wasn't in their kind, benevolent nature to act in such a manner. They and all of her other people were possessed by some malicious and diabolic force - she was sure of it.

Will the king even bother to see me? Will he believe my story? Evelyn wondered to herself as she rested at the front gates, perched on top of her trusty white mare, Blanche. She was wearing one of her favorite cream colored gowns, that of which was concealed quite a bit underneath her trusty white cloak. The hood shadowed most of her face, and what was visible was halfway shrouded by her long brunette locks, those of which tumbled forward like a veil. All one could clearly make out, so long as they looked closely, was one of her enchanting chocolate brown eyes, half of her nose, and a bit of her pouty pink lips. She had just spoken to who she believed to be one of the king's servants or butlers, and he assured her that he would get her message back to him. Please, sir, don't break your word. Please tell the king that I need to meet with him. She thought with high hopes as she patiently awaited his return.

And, please, King of Illius.. Hear my plea. She continued to hope internally, interlocking her fingers together as she held Blanche's reigns in her palms. She shut her eyes as she whispered a silent prayer, deciding that she would have to try her very best to get the king to understand. If he shut her down, she'd try again. If he continued, she'd try harder. She knew that she couldn't return to her kingdom with things in such chaos and calamity. She had to come back with assistance, even if it came from the rumored-to-be heartless King of Illius, for she couldn't leave her once beautiful and peaceful kingdom in the state it was currently in. She loved her country and all of the people in it. To see the people she once cherished and held so dear turn into bloodthirsty beasts broke her heart into millions upon millions of pieces, and she wanted nothing more than for things to go back to the way they were.

After a few moments of waiting out in the softly falling snow, the man that she once saw returned to her position at the front gates. "His majesty will see you in approximately ten minutes time. Please, allow me to lead you to the throne room." The man spoke as he gestured Evelyn to the castle. She hopped off of Blanche, guiding her to a post where Evelyn could tie her up to wait for her return. "I'll be back, Blanche," she spoke affectionately to her beloved horse as she secured the reigns. "Be a good girl, okay?" She began rummaging through the small bag draped around her torso, that of which contained some food and water for her and Blanche. She fed her a carrot and gently stroked her face before following the man through the palace doors. "King de'Illius will be waiting for you in there, milady." The man spoke once more before politely bowing and leaving Evelyn to her business.

With a deep breath and head held high, Evelyn made her way through the entrance, meeting whatever fate awaited her. As she walked through the large, arched doorway, she gracefully took off her hood, revealing her enchanting face. Her chestnut irises twinkled alluringly over to the space where the king was most likely going to be seated, her expression gentle and inviting, but steadfast and determined.

Politely, she offered a curtsy and bowed her head. "King de'Illius," she spoke his name once she rose, her voice light and feminine, her tone smooth and level. She didn't remove her creamy cocoa gaze from his own.

"My name is Evelyn Charis de'Blythe, Princess of the Blythe Kingdom. I've come to speak with you about the truth behind the state of my country."

Last edited by a moderator:
The king of Illius had never been a subtle man, nor was he exempt from the obvious signs of his avarice. He sat comfortably atop his diamond-crested throne and looked down upon the beautiful woman who had so bravely and nobly entered his seat of command, scanning her as one might examine a gem freshly mined and polished. His careful consideration of her did not go unnoticed by the woman in question or the members of court in attendance, but could any person blame him for such a wandering gaze? She was exquisite, this coming stranger from places unknown, and Roylan de'Illius found himself in a generous mood.

Such feelings were quickly stolen the second she opened her mouth.

"The princess of Blythe?" He gave a great scoff, followed by laughter laced with every ounce of mocking he was capable of. "Do you take me for a fool, my lady? We are at war with Blythe. If you expect me to believe that large oaf of a southern king would send his only beloved daughter into the clutches of the enemy, perhaps you belong in a madhouse rather than a king's court."

"Your Majesty," came the gentle voice of the royal butler. "Might I speak?"

"Out with it."

"She wears the crest of the Blythe royal family," he pointed out, gesturing to the clasp on her cloak unmistakably in the shape of the southern sigils that had previously been unnoticed by the king. "While I agree with you, sire, I think it might be beneficial to hear her explanation."

A person of Blythe? Here? A woman, no less? There were few things in the world that could baffle King Roylan de'Illius, and this was most certainly one of them. No possible source of logic could be applied to the reasoning behind the royal visit from a country known to despise the North and all her traditions. Could it be some sort of trap?

"Remove your cloak," he instructed, "so that my court and I may be rest assured you are not hiding any weapons. Then you may explain yourself, and I hope you spare no details, for claiming to be a person of Blythe standing before the King of Illius is as foolish a move as you could possibly make. Your life may depend on your words."

Evelyn noticed the king's wandering eye, and it seemed as though he wasn't at all displeased with what he was looking at. Taking this as encouragement, she gathered the courage to introduce herself and the purpose behind her visit strongly. However, upon the king's retaliation, Evelyn felt bits of her confidence withering away with each and every one of his words. "The Princess of Blythe?" He scoffed at her, his tone and laugh nothing less than absolutely mocking. Pursing her lips together, Evelyn maintained her composure through it all, telling herself to not let the king's harsh tone get to her. "Do you take me for a fool, my lady? We are at war with Blythe. If you expect me to believe that large oaf of a southern king would send his only beloved daughter into the clutches of the enemy, perhaps you belong in a madhouse rather than a king's court." He continued mercilessly, but Evelyn kept her head held high, as any true royal would.

Before she could say anything against the king's accusations, however, the man from before spoke out. "Your Majesty," he began in a soft, gentle tone, "Might I speak?" Upon the king's words of approval, the man pointed out the fact that Evelyn was wearing the Blythe family crest. Evelyn then looked down upon her cloak where the clasp was secured, taking it in her hand and gently tipping it upwards towards her face. I almost forgot this was on my cloak. I'm surprised that the butler noticed it. She thought to herself, commending the man for his attention to detail internally. After paying it a few moments of her attention, Evelyn turned her chocolate brown gaze back towards King de'Illius. He seemed quite baffled by the fact that she was sincerely the Princess of the Blythe Kingdom. Though, she was sure that the fact that she actually crossed the boarders and came directly to the his palace was what shocked him the most. Not many would expect it.

However, there were desperate times. She had no other choice.

"Remove your cloak," the king ordered, "so that my court and I may be rest assured you are not hiding any weapons. Then you may explain yourself, and I hope you spare no details, for claiming to be a person of Blythe standing before the King of Illius is as foolish a move as you could possibly make. Your life may depend on your words." He spoke in a tone firm and stern, nothing less than the voice of a strong king. Obediently, seeing as she had no desire whatsoever to cause a stir, Evelyn began removing her cloak. Her petite and slender figure could now be properly observed, for her cream colored gown accented her curves quite nicely. She elegantly flipped her long brown locks over her shoulders, spreading her arms out as the guards came and examined her. Once it was confirmed that she wasn't hiding any weapons, Evelyn returned her arms to her side, picked her cloak up off the ground, and held it in her arms close to her torso.

"I don't have any weapons, King de'Illius," Evelyn assured him politely, her tone as smooth and sweet as honey, "for all I brought with me was some food and water for myself and my horse. I have no desire whatsoever to attack you. All I'm asking of you is to hear my plea." She stated, taking in a deep, silent breath as she closed her eyes. She realized that she had to choose her words carefully and wisely. King de'Illius was not known to be a merciful, benevolent king. She knew that he'd probably have her killed on the spot if she tried anything reckless or brash. After a few seconds, Evelyn reopened her eyes, setting her shimmering chestnut gaze on the king's figure. Her eyes didn't waver, for she knew that, if they did, it may make her appear dishonest. Everything she was about to say was nothing less than the truth, so she had no reason to hesitate. It was now or never, and she had already come so far. There wasn't any turning back now.

"I'm aware that this sounds very unrealistic, and you may even deem it irrational and unfeasible, but I assure you that this is the truth. My people are possessed, your honor. Some sort of plague has come over Blythe, and almost all of my people fell victim. It brings out the darkness in one's heart, drives you mad; it turns you into some sort of bloodthirsty beast. This is why my father went against our strict treaty. I promise you, my people would have never done that if they were in their right mind." Evelyn took a small moment to take a breath, shutting her eyes for a couple seconds as she let it out. After, she went on with explaining. "Diabolic forces are at work in the Kingdom of Blythe, King de'Illius. I want nothing more than to save my people and strip them of whatever dark magic has corrupted their souls. If I thought I could do it on my own, though, I wouldn't have come all the way over here.." She trailed off for a moment, pursing her lips together.

"I've come to ask for your assistance in finding this force and exterminating it. If whatever this presence is continues to roam free, it may target the north next. This cause could benefit the both of us, King de'Illius. Please, won't you consider?" Evelyn finished her plea, locking her sweet cocoa gaze unto the dark haired man before her. Her expression was filled with determination and drive, her eyes reflecting her sincerity. She didn't want this to get to the point to where she'd have to get down on her knees and beg, but if it did come to that, she'd do it without hesitation.

Her love for her country overpowered anything as vain and meaningless as pride.

Roylan, on the other hand, had pride aplenty. Each word that passed from the angel's pale lips convinced the king further and further that she was who she claimed to be. He kept open ears to her plights and pleas, all while stroking his chin in contemplation of everything she had to say. While he was naturally curious as to why the princess had traveled hundreds of miles to deliver such grim news to the hands of the enemy, the more pressing matter was how the outcome could effect the north. Disease and death were no friendly thing in a cold country high up in the mountains, far from the warmth of the earth's surface. Contrary to what many of his people believed, Roylan always kept the safety of Illius at his topmost priority and would continue to do so until he was long gone from this world. Without a kingdom, how could I call myself king?

"You have come an awfully long way to say those words to me, haven't you?" he asked, not entirely expecting a reply as he examined her further. "And all by your lonesome, no less. Admirable. You may be just another savage from the south but you are a smart one, that much is clear. Smart, or very, very stupid."

Roylan rose from his seat and descended the great steps of his throne to meet with her at ground level. All throughout the vast, arched halls of marble and granite, members of the court bowed low to their knees as was custom when the king stood with them at an equal level, and while he was sure Princess Evelyn would catch on to the gesture of respect soon enough he gave her no time to react. In a matter of seconds he had crossed the distance between them and gripped her chin tightly in his gloved hand, yanking her close to him so that their faces were mere inches apart. He could smell the vanilla in her hair and she could smell the brandy on his breath no doubt, but it mattered little to him. He was not in search of approval by the savage princess and her ilk. He wanted answers that only eyes could give.

"Look at me," he commanded in a tone of harsh depth. He didn't speak again until she obeyed, meeting her caramel gaze with one of rock and stone. "Swear by every god every worshiped that your words are true. Swear on your life, swear on your kingdom and swear on the future of your lands. I am very good at weeding out liars, princess, and you should know that in Illius it is a great crime to lie to a king."

His grip tightened and his gaze never faltered.

"Swear it."

Evelyn watched as the king examined her, his expression thoughtful as he stroked his chin. The princess took this as a hopeful sign, for he didn't seem set on branding her a liar and her story a mere tale. "You have come an awfully long way to say those words to me, haven't you?" The king spoke after she finished her plea. She began to nod in response, but then he went on speaking. "And all by your lonesome, no less. Admirable. You may be just another savage from the south but you are a smart one, that much is clear. Smart, or very, very stupid." She couldn't tell whether he was praising her or mocking her, but she chose to just bite her tongue as he went on. As she turned her gaze sideways towards the floor, wondering how she was to respond to that statement, she was taken by surprise as King de'Illius rose from his seat.

Evelyn's smooth cocoa gaze watched as all the members of the court present in the throne room bowed down to their knees, and her lips parted slightly as she debated on doing the same. Before she could give the action a second thought however, the king was right in front of her. Just as she turned her chocolaty irises back to his figure, he took her chin in his gloved hand firmly, bringing her close. Their faces were barely a couple inches apart, and she could smell some sort of liquor on his breath. Her brows furrowed slightly at the scent. "Look at me," he spoke in a deep, harsh tone. She almost winced at the strength in his voice, but thankfully she managed to keep her composure. She just pursed her lips together slightly, her gaze soon meeting his of stone without a hint of waver. Obediently, she offered him her full attention.

"Swear by every god ever worshiped that your words are true. Swear on your life, swear on your kingdom and swear on the future of your lands. I am very good at weeding out liars, princess, and you should know that in Illius it is a great crime to lie to a king." He ordered her, his grip tightening as his cold stare pierced right into her own. Like his, her gaze never strayed away. Her irises set on his firmly, for she knew that she had nothing to hide.

"Swear it." He repeated once more.

"I, Princess Evelyn Charis de'Blythe, swear on my life, my country, its future, and by every holy presence watching over us from above, that my words are sincere and true. I have no reason nor desire to lie to you, King de'Illius." Evelyn spoke in a tone light, yet firm. Her voice always held a gentle, sweet resonance to it, but she spoke with sure and steady sincerity this time around. Her chestnut eyes didn't waver once from the king's, for she knew she had no reason whatsoever to shy away from his gaze. No matter how much she hated it, she knew that she needed his help. So far, he was nowhere near as benevolent of a king as her father was, but he was undeniably strong and capable. As much as she didn't want to admit it, she would be in his debt and eternally grateful for any sort of assistance he could provide to her.

"My words are true, I promise you."

The princess's gaze never faltered and her integrity smothered what was left of any rebuttle he could find. Roylan didn't dare admit how badly he wanted to remove her pretty head from her shoulders and send it back to her father, staking claims on his kingdom and ordering him to lay down his arms and pitiful cause, but the people of Illius would never follow their king so far. The murder of an innocent maiden would spark rebellion before the axe was swung. As heavy as his bloodlust was at times, he was blessed to have wits that counteracted such a beastly nature. Roylan forcefully let go of her chin and scoffed lightly.

And she is beautiful. Waste not, want not.

"Well. Can't be a total waste to launch an investigation, I suppose. Garlan, Aerod." The king snapped his fingers and two knights covered from head to toe in steel armor clanked forth from the sidelines. "Assemble four-hundred men and ride southward at dawn. I want you to make records of every savage you encounter, their behavior, their eyes, their speech, and when they are dead I want you to examine them further. Make note of any differences. Bring twenty hawks with you and send word if there's anything of value."

"Yes, Your Grace."

"Oh, and make a stop at Helvetton and collect taxes on your way. They seem to think themselves exempt. Remind them which kingdom they belong to."

"Of course."

"Court dismissed." Roylan watched the nobles exit the grand halls momentarily, barely noticing which ones bowed in his presence and which didn't. His mind was focused on a far more valuable use of his time. He would have to handle the situation with the princess delicately--harming her would ignite the people, taking her hostage would ignite the people, proclaiming her for his own would ignite the people. So many frustrating alternatives taking away the fun from the toy he'd been given. Roylan wanted very much to kill two birds with one stone, and as he considered her from their close proximity he began drawing up plans in his mind to achieve just that.

"You should stay here, Princess," he offered with a sly grin. "There is no way I can morally allow you to return home to your country given the state it is in. I have plenty of chambers here for you to choose from. Come, and I will show you." Roylan held out his left elbow for her to take, certain there was an aura of distrust about him, but knowing she would have to battle her conscience just to touch him was elevating.

Oh, this can be very fun indeed.

Evelyn let out a small, silent sigh as King de'Illius finally released her chin from his forceful grip. This man is a total and complete brute, she thought to herself as her smooth cocoa gaze burned towards him. She couldn't deny the fact that his actions aggravated her gravely, but she knew that now was the time to swallow her pride for the sake of her country. Taking in a deep breath, she closed her flaming irises, calming herself down as she relieved her lungs slowly. As she reopened her alluring pupils, the king finally decided to respond. "Well. Can't be a total waste to launch an investigation, I suppose. Garlan, Aerod." He called out to a few knights in shimmering steel armor. Obediently, they followed in suit. "Assemble four-hundred men and ride southward at dawn. I want you to make records of every savage you encounter, their behavior, their eyes, their speech, and when they are dead I want you to examine them further. Make note of any differences. Bring twenty hawks with you and send word if there's anything of value."

"Yes, Your Grace." They responded with a stationary bow of their heads. "Oh, and make a stop at Helvetton and collect taxes on your way. They seem to think themselves exempt. Remind them which kingdom they belong to." He issued out another order, to which they continued to oblige. That statement only made Evelyn sick, for she was beginning to see why this man was rumored to be heartless. It's no wonder he's faced the threat of rebellion. He walks all over his people, almost as though they're nothing but objects. She shook her head softly, biting her tongue. She almost wanted to say something against the cold, merciless man before her, but she knew that, should she do such, nothing but death would await her. Evelyn wasn't without her wits, for she knew that she had to act accordingly and choose her words wisely. As much as she didn't like it, she knew that she had to go along with whatever game King de'Illius was preparing. As he spoke out to her with a sly, diabolic grin, suggesting that she should stay there in Illius, Evelyn knew that she was in for quite the experience.

So far, she was almost positive that she wasn't going to enjoy a single bit of it.

"There is no way I can morally allow you to return home to your country given the state it is in. I have plenty of chambers here for you to choose from. Come, and I will show you." The king spoke out, sticking out his left arm for her to take. As if you possess any morals, she thought to herself as she resisted the urge to roll her chocolate brown eyes. For a moment, her gaze flickered between his extended elbow and his mischievous expression. She slowly shifted her white cloak to her left arm after internally debating, holding it snugly against her torso. After, she hesitantly reached out to him with her right hand, maneuvering it around his arm gracefully as she gently took it. As much as she didn't want to be in so much as a twelve foot radius of this man, she wasn't the type to be rude. All in all, he was still a king, and she had to respect his position as such. She was raised to be a fair, just, and respectable young lady, and she would never act as anything less. Sure, she thought the man deserved a smack for touching her without permission earlier, but she was in his territory right now. She had to play by his rules.

"Thank you, King de'Illius. I appreciate the gesture kindly," she stated in her usual, polite tone. However, if one examined her voice further, they just might detect a small hint of displeasure. Just because she had to act accordingly as a royal, speaking and acting politely as expected, didn't mean she had to like him in the slightest.

In her mind, she was only putting up with him for the sake of her people. For them, she'd walk through hell and back without a second thought.

For some reason, Evelyn had a distinct feeling that being around King de'Illius was going to be very close to that.

Entertaining a princess of Blythe would be a hard thing to do, if the average mind had set about the attempt. Blythe was a kingdom of light and life and music according to the history books, filled with plays and shows and exotic dancing, parties in the streets and festivals that lasted for weeks on end. Evelyn had no doubt had her fair share of things to do when the world was at peace and all was calm, but thankfully for Roylan he was not there to entertain her. He could feign being a proper host if the occasion suited him and brought more gain than it would sacrifice, and he considered himself lucky that keeping the woman on his arm was more for his own good than hers. Roylan was always incredibly self-serving and Evelyn had walked right into the arms of no remorse.

He led her down tiled hallways with elaborate paintings of various kings in Illius long before him, but he thought it amusing to bore her with the life stories of each and every one. He relayed plots of old men in heavy crowns with young brides and long wars to fight, of ancient dragons and legends of various demons in old lore, he even went so far as to explain the history of his country to her, though none of it was out of the kindness of his heart and the language he used was nothing if not demeaning. I want her to remember which country she is in, he thought with a devious chuckle. I want her to realize whose borders she crossed and which man she must bow to so long as she's here. The thrill of power made him stand straighter and speak with more bolstering confidence.

"There," he stated in finality, stopping before the door to the room he had so recently picked for her. "Your chambers, my lady. There is even a view of the gardens, which someone of your background might appreciate. I expect you to dine with me at the end of the next hour. There will a spare change of dresses for you in the wardrobe, as well as many more when the maids bring them to your bedside. Over dinner we can speak of your kingdom and the help I can offer."

He placed a kiss to the top of her hand. "Until then?"

Evelyn walked alongside King de'Illius without protest, listening to him speak about the past kings of this land, as well as the tales of the country. While she offered him her full attention, she wasn't pleasantly amused by the tales in the slightest. All in all, she could tell that he was merely making small talk. He didn't seem too proud of it all, either, for his tone was nothing less than demeaning. The way he spoke of his people and his country brought nothing but sadness to Evelyn's heart, for she was beginning to tell that all King de'Illius saw was a place to rule - people to make his pawns. He didn't treasure any of it in the slightest; in fact, he was probably only concerned for the wellness of it all just so he'd continue to have something to rule. The way he described it made it seem like everything was a toy.

As Evelyn was sure he saw her as, too.

So much vanity, Evelyn thought as she looked upon the portraits. While she didn't entirely see herself above the royalties displayed before her, she couldn't agree with the way things were in Illius. She was sure that the people here weren't filled with love and laughter like those of Blythe once were. They were probably saddened and desperate, clinging to what little hope they had. With a soft, gentle sigh, Evelyn allowed her chestnut irises to close as she continued to listen. When he spoke of the long wars they raged, she almost cringed, for Evelyn held a strong distaste for violence. However, she knew that it was inevitable. It seemed especially so in this country, for it appeared as though all these royals were power hungry. How he loves to look down on others, Evelyn thought as she looked at King de'Illius.

What a shame, indeed.

She did enjoy hearing about the lore behind his country, however. Dragons and demons were quite fascinating to hear about, though it wasn't nearly as lighthearted of a tale as the lore behind Blythe was. Their crest was that of the sun and moon, resembling the balance and harmony of Blythe, meanwhile their symbolic animal was the pegasus. There were many tales of the mythological beast, though most only brought joy to the faces of children. The way King de'Illius described his lore probably would have wiped the smiles off of their faces, gracing them with nightmares rather than pleasant dreams. What a country this is, Evelyn thought as she suppressed her urge to shiver. What have I walked into? She wondered, and soon they arrived at the chambers King de'Illius had picked out for her.

"There," the king began as they stopped before the doors of the room he had prepared for her. Once they arrived, Evelyn quickly let go of his arm, putting a small bit of space between them almost subconsciously as he continued to speak. "Your chambers, my lady. There is even a view of the gardens, which someone of your background might appreciate. I expect you to dine with me at the end of the next hour. There will a spare change of dresses for you in the wardrobe, as well as many more when the maids bring them to your bedside. Over dinner we can speak of your kingdom and the help I can offer." He stated, to which Evelyn nodded to with gratitude. Before she could state her thanks, however, King de'Illius took her hand, placing a kiss on top of it. The gesture indefinitely shocked her.

"Until then?" He questioned, and, with a forced smile, Evelyn nodded once more. "Until then, King de'Illius. Thank you for your hospitality," she stated, snatching her hand away a little faster than she originally meant to. Once she realized how abrupt the action was, she shot the king an apologetic glance, flashing him a small smile in condolence. After, she opened the doors to her room, shutting them softly behind her. With a soft, exasperated sigh, she shook her head at the entire scenario. You're doing this for the Kingdom of Blythe, Evelyn, she reminded herself, trying to keep her steadfast nature and determination intact. He's agreed to help you. You must humor him, even if just for a little while, for the sake of your people.. You can do this. Be strong, she told herself, running her fingers gently through her hair.

Once she had taken in a deep breath, thus calming herself down, Evelyn decided to take a good look around the space. It was undeniably beautiful, and the dresses the king had spoken about were quite beautiful. Curious, and with the pure heart of a child receiving a gift, Evelyn took out a gown of an inviting, creamy shade of yellow and white. "Oh, how beautiful!" Evelyn complimented the piece as though it was a work of art. Sure, she had plenty of gowns back at home, but she appreciated all gorgeous dresses the same. She held it over her torso, looking into one of the full-size vanity mirrors to grasp an idea on how it would look on her if she wore it. Liking what she saw, she decided on wearing that gown for the dinner that awaited her. However, her once excited smile soon began to fade.

I'm going to be dining with King de'Illius.. Oh, I hope this goes well.

Gown.jpg

Gentle symphonies of a northern ballet, harsh and sudden and abrupt echoed through obsidian hallways as he passed. Any servants who stood minding their own business immediately fell to their knees in fear of the king's wrath. Roylan paid no mind to any of them. His focus was straight-forward and his heart chillingly set in its place; he would have the princess of Blythe for his own gain, for the gain of his country and people, and the southern kingdoms wouldn't dare to spit on the north again. I could call myself an Emperor if I so desired. Was it possible that he was being too ambitious, throwing his life away on the bets of a single gamble? Could such drastic plans be so easily thwarted on the words of a young princess? He would have none of it. She will yield in time, and if not, there will be no mercy for her. I don't bend to the wills of savages.

The King of Illius pushed open grand oaken doors and strode forth to the long table, a vision of a god wrapped in a fur cloak and red cloth. The jagged crown of ebony rested atop his head and lined his hardened, harsh features all the more. He moved to the windows draped in deep violent and pulled back the tapestries, letting the light of freshfallen snow reflecting reflecting the moon's glow illuminate the candlelit hall. The immaculate view from floor-to-ceiling windows would surely delight the easily-impressionable girl from the south. Not all Northern qualities were abrasive and brash, she would soon learn, if only in nature rather than people. The silence was broken as the chef entered the quiet halls, bowing low to his king.

"What is on the menu, Barlow?"

"Salt pork, Your Eminence. Stuffed honeyed chicken, spiced potatoes, beans, peaches and cream, fresh fish and various fruits and vegetables."

"And the wine?"

"Straight from Fogdell, sire."

"Good. Waste no time." Roylan pushed himself away from the window and moved to the fireplace instead, watching the flames swell and grow with the fodder of new wood. He filled his glass with wine while the cook exited to continue preparations of their meal, contemplating how he was to make right the plans he had skewed, but there wasn't much time to ponder his plan of action. The doors were opened once more to allow the beautiful princess Evelyn entrance to the dining hall, and the sight of her was indeed most welcome. Her hair was pinned gracefully atop her head and her soft shoulders lay exposed, body wrapped in a cream-colored gown that cinched and the waist and flowed outward like effortless wind. Roylan couldn't contain and chuckle at the sight of her.

"You are too beautiful to be walking among these halls, princess." Surprisingly, Roylan meant those words.

Evelyn spent the hour before she was to dine mainly in preparation. While she did take some moments to enjoy the gorgeous view of the garden, she knew she had to make herself presentable for the king. However, she didn't want to try too hard at such. The maids that entered her room offered her plenty of other, more extravagant gowns, as well as to help her with her hair, shoes, and choice of accessories. She turned them all away politely, though. "Don't you worry," she spoke to all of them kindly and gracefully. They seemed almost shocked to receive such a warm tone from a royal, but it was a pleasant surprise, nonetheless. "I'd actually like to prepare myself for this night, if you all don't mind. Thank you for the suggestions. I'll be sure to take them all into mind," she promised, allowing the servants to take their leave.

It had been a while since Evelyn prepared herself for dinner. Back in her kingdom, ever since the plague came rushing in, she had been dining alone. She never had any reason nor desire to pretty herself up at all, so she'd always simply waltz into the kitchen in her casual gown she had picked out for the day, her hair down and flowing, possibly even a bit tousled, and she'd be all by her lonesome. Today, however, she wasn't. She was in the Kingdom of Illius, and in the king's castle, no less. It had been a while, but she still knew her place as royalty. She knew she had to act and dress appropriately as such. Before, it was always her kind and loving mother who did her hair. Tonight, though, she took what she learned and did a graceful up-do, pinning it up and away from her feminine face. She accented it with shimmering pearls.

Complimenting her accessories a little further, she decided to put on a modest pearl necklace, making her chest feel a little less bare. It was also slightly chilly here in the northern kingdom, even inside the castle, so she chose to put on some long, silken white gloves to warm up her arms. Surely she'd take them off while she ate, but, for now, their duty was to keep her skin from chilling. With that, she made her way over to the dining hall where she was to meet King de'Illius once more.

What awaited her was definitely one of the most pleasant surprises.

"Oh, my," Evelyn spoke under her breath as she brought her gloved index finger to her pale pink lips. She looked about the hall, absolutely entranced by its beauty. This place is gorgeous, she thought to herself, her shimmering chestnut gaze soon settling on the enchanting view outside. The moon was up, and it's light shone brilliantly unto the white snow covered mountains below. In a humble and delighted fashion, Evelyn placed one of her hands over her chest, smiling warmly at the sight. She was soon taken out of her slight trance, however, whenever she heard the king sending a chuckle her way. "You are too beautiful to be walking among these halls, princess." He spoke, and, for a moment, Evelyn actually detected a hint of sincerity in his words. One pleasant surprise after another, so it seemed.

With an elegant curtsy, she slightly bowed her head towards him. "Thank you, King de'Illius," she spoke in her usually polite and gentle manner. Once her head was raised again and she was standing up straight, she allowed her chocolate brown gaze to settle on his figure. Unlike herself, he wasn't dressed with the slightest hint of modesty. He appeared indefinitely royal and grandiose, nearly godlike. Crown on top of his head, fur accenting his coat; he was most a proud king, that was for sure. Meanwhile, Evelyn was raised on modesty and chaste. Her gown was elegant and enchanting, surely, as it flowed about her with grace. However, she didn't wear a crown on top of her head, nor did she sport extravagant accessories like most princesses do. Instead, her natural beauty shone through, as it always has.

"This place is absolutely marvelous, I must say." Evelyn decided to pay the scene a well deserved compliment. "Thank you for allowing me to dine here."

"Of course," he said without a moment's hesitation, offering her a simple smile with no lack for lust lurking behind it. "You are my guest here, princess. You should expect the very best. Here," Roylan stated, gesturing to a seat of elegant mahogany he had previously pulled out for her. "Sit, make yourself comfortable. We have much to discuss."

It was an altogether miracle that he hadn't thrust her into the depths of one if the Gray Cells, a series of devilish dungeons feared by any who opposed Illius and its army of northern screamers. Sixty great barred compartments stunk of shit and rats and death, all plunged into immaculate darkness while beasts roamed the halls acting as gaolers for the sake of protection. Roylan had the heartless capability to toss Evelyn de Blythe to her death in the infamous pits, that was most certain, but there was much more to be gained with kindness than there was with force, especially with one as delicate as she. As much as the latter was his strong suit Roylan felt there wasn't a necessity for cruelty just yet. Not unless she fails to cooperate, in which case she will give me no choice. He chuckled openly at the thought and uncorked a bottle of fresh icewine, pale in color, and poured a modest amount into the glass at her right-hand side.

"I hope you like white wine, my lady. We have red as well if you prefer. Tonight there's honeyed chicken on the menu, potatoes, fish, all manner of northern delicacies that we enjoy here in Illius. I hope you can find them to be enjoyable. Might as well get used to our food here, am I correct? You will be staying here for some time." He smiled and poured himself a much less modest amount of alcohol, corking the bottle once more and setting it gently atop the wooden table. Roylan took his seat at the head of the dining hall where a king ought to reign, unfolding a blood red napkin and draping it gracefully across his lap. The king may have been a nasty, brutish bigot who enjoyed exercising his power over others rather than tend to the needs of his people, but he knew how to be polite which remained his saving grace. If he wasn't likable in some degree, the people would have indignantly risen up against the tyranny of his rule. It was all about the balance, or so he liked to say, and when he looked across the wooden table at the angelic form of Princess Evelyn from a savage kingdom in the south, he felt all sense of the word swarm generously over him.

Yes, he thought deviously. She's perfect.

"Tell me about this plague, then." He leaned back in his seat and drank deep from his goblet, eyeing her carefully over the rim. "I want to know everything, start to finish."

Evelyn smiled towards the king kindly as he reassured her. "Of course," he spoke without a hint of hesitation, though his grin didn't seem nearly as kind as his words. Evelyn had a feeling that there was something lurking behind it, but she couldn't quite pinpoint exactly what it was. "You are my guest here, princess. You should expect the very best. Here," he began once again as he gestured to a seat he had pulled out for her. "Sit, make yourself comfortable. We have much to discuss." With a graceful nod, Evelyn expressed her gratitude. He's actually acting like a gentleman.. Unlike before.. She thought to herself as she sat down. When they had first encountered one another, he took her chin in his firm, merciless grasp without a single trace of remorse. Now, however, he was acting like the perfect gentleman.

Something definitely felt fishy, but Evelyn decided not to question it.

I'm still positive that, if I should mess up now, he'll have my head without a second thought about it. She reminded herself internally, knowing that it'd be unwise to wholeheartedly believe King de'Illius and his sudden change in attitude. Choose your words wisely, Evelyn. Don't forget that he is still the rumored-to-be cold and heartless King of Illius. He may be acting charmingly now, but it most likely won't last. She remained on her toes, though her entire aura would have seemingly been without a hint of suspicion or caution. On the outside, Evelyn looked to be enjoying herself without a care in the world. She allowed herself to appear comfortable and poise, and she gazed about the scenery from the large window before them with immense admiration. The north does possess some very enchanting features, she couldn't help but notice.

"I hope you like white wine, my lady. We have red as well if you prefer. Tonight there's honeyed chicken on the menu, potatoes, fish, all manner of northern delicacies that we enjoy here in Illius. I hope you can find them to be enjoyable. Might as well get used to our food here, am I correct? You will be staying here for some time." The king began to speak again after a moment, informing Evelyn of what they were to eat this fine evening. In all honesty, Evelyn has never tasted alcohol before. It was a common thing during banquets and other parties, but back whenever the once magical Kingdom of Blythe held such festivities, Evelyn's parents thought her to be too young to consume drinks such as wine. She was only sixteen back then, though she was an adult as of now. She figured it to be fine to indulge.

"I've honestly never tasted wine before," she decided to admit as she took a sip of the white wine one of the butlers graciously poured for her. Her eyebrows raised at the flavor, for it tasted just like white grapes. It was sweet and soothing, though the soft fizz of the drink had a gentle kick that she found herself developing an affinity for. "Oh, my. How delicious this is! I'm sure the main dishes will be just as delectable, if not more so." She smiled warmly, sincerely enjoying the delicacies King de'Illius was allowing her to savor. The thought of her remaining in Illius for some time was still slightly unnerving, but at least the king was bothering to be polite for now. Even if it didn't last, she decided to enjoy it while it did. It'd be wrong of her to be rude, and even if King de'Illius began treating her improperly, she'd never lose heart.

As King de'Illius draped a crimson napkin over his lap, Evelyn followed in the same suit. Her napkin was of a pure white, and she allowed it to set gently over her dress of yellow and cream. Soon enough, the king's servants began bringing out the courses, laying them out over the table with ease. Evelyn's chestnut irises shimmered brilliantly towards the delicious food. If she had no sense of etiquette, she might have drooled at the sight. Instead, she simply smiled warmly, her expression nothing less than absolutely delighted. "Just as I thought. It looks positively delicious," she began, beginning to elegantly cut the meat into small pieces, thus making them easier to chew and devour. As she did this, the king spoke out to her once more. Her eyes of chocolate turned to his own, flickering between her food and his stare.

"Tell me about this plague, then." He spoke, taking a large sip from his goblet. She could see his eyes of stone from just above the rim. "I want to know everything, start to finish." King de'Illius requested her explanation of the calamity in detail. Deciding that it would take a while to do such, Evelyn placed her utensils down, settling her hands over her lap for a moment. "As you wish," she took in a deep, silent breath before continuing. "The plague came just before the war began. It was about two years ago, for I was only sixteen at the time. One night, I heard a ruckus coming from the hall, and the servants began making a scene. Wondering what it was all about, I rose from my bedside and went to investigate. Screaming echoed from my parent's chambers," Evelyn let out a shaky breath, her gaze shifting.

"My father sliced a servant's throat without a second thought, his eyes seeming to burn crimson."

She pursed her lips together, a nervous tic of hers, before continuing. "I ran up to him, begging him to tell me what was the matter. He kept screaming things like wishing to make it rain blood over all the land, but his voice sounded.. Demented. He didn't sound the same, and he most definitely he didn't act the same. I tried putting my hands on him, offering comfort and solace in hopes of bringing him back to his senses.. However, he struck me, sending me down to the floor. This is something my father would have never done in his right mind, I assure you. It even seemed like he would have killed me if I pressed further." She stated, suppressing her urge to shiver. "After that, I hid in my chambers for a majority of the breakout. Though, I could see my kingdom changing every time I stepped outside."

Evelyn's gaze wandered to the beautiful scenery outside as she continued. "It began with my parents, and then it spread to the rest of our people. They acted as if they thought about nothing but carnage. They were like bloodthirsty beasts with no minds to think, and there are probably still puddles of crimson lying about the castle. It wasn't only your people they attacked, but even our own.. They all appeared to go completely mad. They were.. Honestly, King de'Illius, the best description I can offer you in reference to their actions is completely possessed." Evelyn shook her head, letting out a gentle sigh under her breath. "It is my firm belief that some sort of diabolic force is behind all this. I can't think of anything else that could infect my people, who were once so kind, joyous, and gentle, with such devilish intent."

Evelyn turned her gaze of sweet milk chocolate to King de'Illius, her expression resembling an angel's in the elegant lighting of the dining hall.

"I know it's an odd tale to hear, and very difficult to believe.. But, please tell me you think my words to be true."

Roylan listened intently to the princess's somber tale of disease, possession and gore, eating chicken and vegetables while she spoke and sipping on the occasional indulgence of wine. While the story itself was troubling enough to spook the typical person straight from their skin, the king had more than enough stomach to handle a tale that may or may not be entirely falsified. He examined her face at random intervals in search of a lie, and when he found none the king was bereft to admit he had to take Princess Evelyn as seriously as she deserved. He was impeccable at tracing falsehoods back to their deceitful cribs but there no evidence in treachery from the girl, so he was forced to stay peaceful. King Roylan finished the wine in his goblet and poured himself more, considering his reply carefully after she had finished speaking.

This seems to be growing trickier by the second.

"That is deeply...troubling," he stated after some thought, "but not all your words are genuine. Blythe was never as honest and gentle and lively as you may claim to know. You're young. You know nothing of your father's cruelties, I'm sure. I can't blame him for keeping a pretty little thing like you in the dark, but it's best not to remain naive either, which you clearly are."

He held out a hand, "I mean no offense, I only offer you the same truths you have offered me. Blythe is a kingdom of savages and is now even moreso due to this mysterious plague. I'm certain I'll find the answer and crush it on your behalf, but surely you cannot expect such deeds to go unrewarded."

Reaching forward, the king lifted a spoonful of mashed potatoes onto his plate as well as a second helping of chicken and fish. He hadn't eaten hardly a thing since high noon and he was awfully hungry, knowing he would need all the energy he could muster to deal with the pressing matters at hand. "Did you notice anything drastically different about the afflicted, my lady? Dark eyes, nails, anything that could physically determine them apart from a regular group of Blythen screamers?

"And more importantly," he asked as he examined her with piercing dark eyes, "what do you think you could offer me in rewards to my service towards a kingdom that has shown me nothing but cruelty for all my life, and the lives of my forefathers?"

After Evelyn had finished telling her tale, the king remained silent for a small moment. Taking this time to finally indulge in the delicious food set before her, she picked up the tiny pieces she had cut prior with her fork, sending them through her pale pink lips. The taste was absolutely divine, and her pleasure could have easily been read on her face. This is marvelous, she thought to herself as she continued to eat, allowing a sip or two of the enticing white wine bestowed upon her to enter her system. Her first taste of alcohol was a very wonderful one, she must say, even if she didn't have anything else to compare it to. The silence wasn't long lived, however, for the king soon spoke out to her. "That is deeply...troubling," he stated seemingly after some thought, "but not all your words are genuine."

Evelyn pursed her lips together in anticipation.

"Blythe was never as honest and gentle and lively as you may claim to know. You're young. You know nothing of your father's cruelties, I'm sure. I can't blame him for keeping a pretty little thing like you in the dark, but it's best not to remain naive either, which you clearly are." King de'Illius stated in certainty, though Evelyn was bound to disagree. Keep me in the dark? What does this king think he knows? Interaction was banned between our people, so he surely couldn't have known how things were within Blythe. She thought to herself, though she kept her lips sealed. My father was kind and generous. He always did his best to keep our people out of the grasps of desperateness and poverty. I visited the towns often, too. Everyone was filled with smile. Evelyn's gaze locked unto the food placed before her.

Is there really something that I don't know? Am I missing something?

"I mean no offense, I only offer you the same truths you have offered me. Blythe is a kingdom of savages and is now even moreso due to this mysterious plague. I'm certain I'll find the answer and crush it on your behalf, but surely you cannot expect such deeds to go unrewarded." King de'Illius spoke, and Evelyn couldn't help but feel slightly offended still. My people aren't savages, she thought with a strong, sure heart. She loved her country and her people dearly, so hearing some ignorant king calling them savages did stir some fire in her being. However, she kept all of those emotions under lock and key, refusing to let them show. Instead, she began to debate on this reward that the king had brought up. How am I to reward this man? She wondered to herself, munching upon her food as she did so.

She was about three quarters way with finishing her food, and she was growing low on her glass of delectable white wine. As if on cue, a butler walked in, graciously offering her another glass. "Would you like some more, milady?" He asked politely and respectfully, and she nodded towards the man with a sweet smile. "Oh, yes. Thank you," she responded in gratitude, watching the gorgeous liquid fill up her glass once more. With a bow, the butler then took his leave, allowing the king and Evelyn to continue their conversation in private. "Did you notice anything drastically different about the afflicted, my lady? Dark eyes, nails, anything that could physically determine them apart from a regular group of Blythen screamers?" The king questioned, and Evelyn placed a gloved finger against her lip in debate.

"And more importantly," he began before she could give him an answer, "what do you think you could offer me in rewards to my service towards a kingdom that has shown me nothing but cruelty for all my life, and the lives of my forefathers?" King de'Illius questioned, sending Evelyn into even deeper contemplation. She decided to take a few more bites of her food, wishing to finish it before it got cold. Once her plate was clean, and she had no desire for a second helping just yet, she decided to offer the king her full attention once more. "When crazed, their eyes glow crimson. Normally, they're almost completely black." She stated, thinking back to how her father appeared the night he struck her. "I couldn't catch anything else. I'm sorry," she admitted, letting out a gentle sigh under her breath.

"As for what I can offer you in reward.." Evelyn trailed off, her expression growing softly perplexed with contemplation. "To be truthful, King de'Illius, I'm not entirely sure. Is there anything in particular you desire from me?" She questioned, turning her sweet gaze of cocoa back to meet his of hard, dark stone.

"Is there anything you truly want that I am able to give?"

"As for what I can offer you in reward..." Roylan smiled attentively as the poor girl pondered the impossible options, none of which would coincide with the one he meant to propose. "To be truthful, King de'Illius, I'm not entirely sure. Is there anything in particular you desire from me?" It was then that he lifted his eyes to his beautiful, unfortunate guest with no lack of lust and plenty of greed locked away behind irises as grey as stone.

"Is there anything you truly want that I am able to give?"

He had to breach the innocuous subject rather delicately--too forceful and he would lose her to wrath, too kind and he risked raising her suspicion. Princess Evelyn was not as foolish as appearances told him. The weight of a war rested on the tone and level of his words, yet talking was one of Roylan's impeccable talents. He had no doubt that the desired result he sought would come to pass. With every shred of confidence in the world, he rose from his seat and crossed the room towards the great mantle above a rectangular fireplace, and delicately retrieved a small box from the top.

"You," he stated finally, turning to look at the frightened girl with deep caramel eyes. "Illius has gone too long without a queen. I have been ruling for eleven years, princess, ever since my mother died in a ship accident at sea and my father fell to illness several months later. My kingdom could use a touch as gentle as yours, as beautiful and swift and strong, and I have no doubt that you can be sharpened and hardened like a blade on a whetstone to become the queen Illius needs. This could be the event that unites us and ends the fighting for centuries to come." Casually, the king moved around the table where he stopped at the side of the shocked princess, lifting her chin with a finger so she might look upon his face as he hovered almost threateningly above her.

"I ask for your hand in marriage, princess, and all the lands ruled by Blythe at the base of my mountains. The rest is Blythe's to keep. Do this, and I will work as hard and fast and swiftly as I must to ensure the plague smothering your kingdom comes to an end."

With his opposite hand, Roylan propped open the small box to reveal the ring of deep sapphire and diamond, a devious, crooked smile on his lips.

Should she refuse this generous offer...

Evelyn awaited King de'Illius to answer her in apprehension, for she could tell by his seemingly deep contemplation that what he wanted was quite dreadful. What could he possibly be thinking about? She wondered in worry, her lips pursing together once more in the anticipation of his words. What is it that he wants? She continued to question internally, and soon he came out with it.

"You," he finally spoke. Her eyes of sweet caramel and cocoa widened immensely.

"Illius has gone too long without a queen. I have been ruling for eleven years, princess, ever since my mother died in a ship accident at sea and my father fell to illness several months later. My kingdom could use a touch as gentle as yours, as beautiful and swift and strong, and I have no doubt that you can be sharpened and hardened like a blade on a whetstone to become the queen Illius needs. This could be the event that unites us and ends the fighting for centuries to come." He explained his reasoning behind his desire, but the thought of it still sent shivers down Evelyn's spine. Me? Marry him? She thought frantically, her gaze following the king as he casually made his way over the table to her. He placed his finger underneath her chin, moving her face upwards to look at his own. This made her remember how he so rudely grasped her chin in the throne room earlier that day, though his actions this time around were much more gentle.

She still felt like the was in incredible danger regardless, though.

"I ask for your hand in marriage, princess, and all the lands ruled by Blythe at the base of my mountains. The rest is Blythe's to keep. Do this, and I will work as hard and fast and swiftly as I must to ensure the plague smothering your kingdom comes to an end." He stated all that he wished to claim, and for a brief moment, Evelyn felt her bottom lip quiver as her pale pink lips parted. With his free hand, the king revealed the absolutely gorgeous ring of sapphire and diamond, and Evelyn couldn't deny the beauty it possessed. She sealed her lips once more as she turned slightly to look at it, soon returning her gaze back up towards the king's of ice and stone. She shut her eyes for a brief moment, taking in a deep breath as she was enveloped in internal debate. Slowly, Evelyn grasped the king's hand perched beneath her chin, removing it from her gently as she eased it away. With that, she turned her face away from King de'Illius, gently biting down on her bottom lip.

"I'm the only heir to the Southern Kingdom of Blythe, your majesty. Without me, there'd be no one else to take the throne upon the arrival of the next generation." She stated, letting out a gentle sigh as she turned her gaze of sweet cocoa back up to the king's own. "I've been raised to be queen ever since I was but a small child, and my parents always advised me to choose wisely in the ways of partnership, for whomever I chose was bound to become the King of Blythe one day." She spoke, doing her very best to keep her lip from quivering again. "If I took your hand in marriage, I'd be gaining another kingdom to look after along with my own, or I'd have to give up my role within Blythe," she began, her expression softening for a brief moment. However, it soon grew steady with surefire determination. Evelyn knew that, if this is what the king asked for, and if this is what it would take for her to save her country from the grasps of darkness..

Then she would have to go through with it.

"However, for the sake and future of my country.. I'll accept your proposal with an open heart. You may have me, King de'Illius. Just promise me one more thing along with saving my country from this dreadful plague," she began, her normally gentle gaze hardening ever so slightly as it pierced into the king's own.

"You must promise me that you will never treat my people as savages ever again. You must promise to respect them as you would your own, for this is what I shall do for your people in return as their queen. No more wars, no more bloodshed. I wish for this chaos and strife between Blythe and Illius to end."

"Do you honestly believe that thought wouldn't've already crossed my mind, princess?" he asked with a hard sneer, both in accusation and devious intent. "I know you are the singular heir, otherwise this could not have worked out as wonderfully as I had planned it. By marrying into Illius and my marriage to Blythe, the two kingdoms would become one, or two sovereign states under the same rule. I've no preference which. Wars would end and our people could prosper together for the first time in nearly six centuries. The offer is sorely tempting, even you must agree." Roylan set the ring on the table beside her and stepped gracefully away, back to admire the view through great glass windows. "This couldn't work otherwise."

He folded his hands behind his back a moment, waiting to see if she would say something but he was altogether too impatient to continue waiting. He had something on his mind that needed immediate attention, no longer able to be pushed aside in favor of more formal duties. The king grinned at the thought of his remaining task to see through, though he wouldn't leave without a formal gesture of parting.

"Tomorrow, we will stand before the Temple of the Graces and say our vows. Then we will marry in a fortnight, that seems an appropriate amount of time." He stroked his chin in deep thought, chuckling before turning back to her. "I will retire for the night, my lady. I will see you on the morrow, and please, do not be ashamed to indulge yourself in the food I have provided for you. I can't have a queen who starves, after all."

Roylan bowed low to her before taking his leave, pushing through the great double doors and moving quickly through the halls toward the King's Tower, the tallest point of the palace which granted him privacy and seclusion away from the rest of his irritating job. Upon reaching the mouth of the large, winding staircase that led upwards toward the comforts of his personal chambers, the king stopped at the side of his butler who awaited him with a grim expression.

"It is done, then?"

"Is what done?"

"Illius will finally have a queen?"

Roylan sighed, leaning against the wall and folding his arms. "A fortnight from tomorrow, yes."

"Your people will rejoice to hear it, sire."

"Aye, they will. That makes a single person who won't rejoice at all." It was unclear to even himself whether he spoke of his own person, or the poor princess doomed to rot away atop a mountain she was raised to hate. "All of this kingly work is hard business. I need a whore tonight, Laurence. A damn good one."

The elderly man sighed, clearly not wanting to give into the king's sinful request but it wouldn't be the first time, nor would it be the last. "Yes, sire. Do you have a preference this time?"

"Not particularly," he said, though in a moment he reconsidered.

"Bring me one with chocolate in her eyes."

Evelyn was completely taken aback whenever King de'Illius spat a, "Do you honestly believe that thought wouldn't've already crossed my mind, princess?" with a diabolic sneer. "What do you mea--" she began, but then the king went on with his statement. "I know you are the singular heir, otherwise this could not have worked out as wonderfully as I had planned it. By marrying into Illius and my marriage to Blythe, the two kingdoms would become one, or two sovereign states under the same rule. I've no preference which. Wars would end and our people could prosper together for the first time in nearly six centuries. The offer is sorely tempting, even you must agree." He stated, and Evelyn let out a small, helpless sigh. Worked out as wonderfully as you planned it, huh? She thought to herself, looking up towards the king. One might have expected hatred located within her brown irises, but there was actually nothing less than pity and sympathy.

The fact that this king held such devious intent didn't stir worry in Evelyn for her own sake. If anything, she couldn't stop thinking about his people. What tyranny have they been putting up with for all these years? She couldn't help but wonder. It was all too fitting for the northern kingdom to be located high up within the treacherous, winter mountains, for it always seemed to be so cold here. Not just in temperature and among'st the ways of the weather, but also in heart. With a gentle shake of her head, Evelyn's gaze locked unto the floor, and she gently hooked some stray strands of her brunette locks behind her ear. She honestly had nothing to say to King de'Illius, so she simply listened to him as he continued to speak. "Tomorrow, we will stand before the Temple of the Graces and say our vows. Then we will marry in a fortnight, that seems an appropriate amount of time." He stated, and Evelyn pursed her lips together once more at the thought.

What have I gotten myself into? Evelyn wondered, her heart suddenly feeling heavy.

"I will retire for the night, my lady. I will see you on the morrow, and please, do not be ashamed to indulge yourself in the food I have provided for you. I can't have a queen who starves, after all." The king stated, and Evelyn allowed her gaze of sweet cocoa to meet his own of hard, cold stone. He bowed low to her before taking his leave through the grand double doors of the dining hall, leaving Evelyn alone to her devices. With a soft sigh, she looked towards all of the food that was left on the table. She had already had a single helping, and she didn't feel the need to stuff herself. In all honesty, she wanted to give all of the excess food back to the townspeople who probably needed it. However, she knew that wasn't a possibility. With another solemn shake of her head, she stood back up on her feet, and one of the maids met her as she did so. "Would you like me lead you to your chambers, my lady?" She asked, and, forcing a soft smile, Evelyn nodded.

"Please, do." She stated, taking the ring the king had left behind with her as she exited.

Soon, Evelyn was back in the subtle comfort of her own chambers. She traded her formal dress for a more comfortable nightgown, and, despite the cold corrupting the outside air, she found the balcony view calling to her. With a small blanket of white draped around her petite figure, she made her way through the glass doors leading to the large platform. Just as the king had stated, there was a wonderful view of the garden around her. She smiled warmly at the sight, though one could tell by one look at the princess that she was indefinitely lonely. Even though the garden was filled with snow covered beauty, she found herself deeply missing the gorgeous wildflowers, the magnificent trees filled with intricate blossoms, and the bright green grass of the plains and meadows of Blythe. I promise, I'll do whatever it takes to save you all, she thought to herself, referring to the welfare of her country and all of the people residing within it. No matter what it takes.

It was then that she began to remember a song she used to hear bards and others of musical places of work playing. As she walked around the lively towns of Blythe, you'd almost always hear some sort of music playing. Sometimes it was upbeat and happy, and you couldn't help but walk with a small skip in your step as you listened. It made you want to break out into dance and song, but not all of the songs possessed this quality. The one Evelyn was recalling was song of foreign language; one of many that she was taught as a child. The lyrics came flowing back to her, and as the chilly wind blew her long, brunette locks elegantly astray around her, she allowed the words to take form with her soothing voice. She began to sing the song, the words flowing gently through the air like a feather. Originally, it was meant to be sung in a deeper, stronger voice, but Evelyn's light, heartwarming tone made the song all the more captivating. It was solemn all the same, though.

She looked up at the full moon above as she sang, hooking some of her stray strands of silken hair behind one ear.

I'm getting married to King de'Illius.. Mother, father.. she thought as she sang, her eyes beginning to fill with pure, innocent tears as she looked down upon the ring the king had given her. She gently turned it back and forth within her fingers, a couple tears caressing her cheeks as she did so.

I'm sorry I won't be your little princess anymore.