The Phoenix Nebula - A Scifi Game about discovery & exploration

Pigiron

Shipcutter
Original poster
LURKER MEMBER
FOLKLORE MEMBER
The Phoenix Nebulae title card.png

@muffinphobia and I are putting together a group for a game. We have a bare bones plot starting point, but are open to input and more people to make it lively!
It's going to be about a race to find clues about a long-lost hyper-advanced civilisation, nestled in a hidden area of space called The Phoenix Nebula. (Title drop!)

Story Themes
-Whether it's racing through the streets of a frontier-world shanty town chasing down a rogue information broker, or bringing your spaceship in to approach an ancient derelict hanging in space near a neutron star, this game is going to be all about the adventures our characters are going on.
-In the background, a hidden/cold-war style conflict between a galactic empire and a resistance movement is beginning, where the goal is not simply to destroy the other ship and the other movement, but win the hearts and minds of a divided empire. So not only fighting, but diplomatic maneuvering and the age old fight between the messages of populism and collectivism (empire) vs individualism and a rejection of tradition (Resistance) with players on both sides.
-Interpersonal relationships in high stress situations. (aka spanish soap opera vibes. In Space!)
-We'd love to take anyone who's into spaceships and writing scifi space combat. Mecha, AI and what-have-you are a-ok!
-The exploration elements are expected to be mixed in, in some situations, with horror. There's a creepy mind-control parasite written into the plot currently, so yeah. Dark stuff is in there.

Anyway here's the story pitch that we've got going so far:
The Phoenix Nebula
An almost mythical place. Seat of a mysterious ancient race long passed; a treasure trove of advance technology.
When the Khivux, a cruel and nightmarish parasitic race, threatened to take over the galaxy, the only weapon capable of saving us came from there; proof of that mystical location's existence, in the form of an incredibly elaborate chemical admixture that cleansed the Khivux from our systems.

The only problem? The saviors that brought the weapon to Empire space; Those brave men and women that braved unknown reaches of the galaxy for a hail-Mary shot at salvation; all died in the line of doing their duty. Their ship's computer damaged beyond repair, and their final desperate wormhole jump offering only a ghost ship, echoing a demand that its' precious cargo be collected from amongst the corpses.

The Khivux were defeated, but now the spectre of that incredible place looms large.

Find The Phoenix Nebula, find the power to rule, or save, the galaxy.

How to join
For now we're preparing the basics: A form for creating alien races and the planet(s) they inhabit, a form for creating characters, etc.
If you're interested, post here! Or if you're shy, DM me. There is going to be a bit of a vetting process involved, but nothing too taxing, just a conversation over text and a look at past RPs/Writing. The core OOC vibe of this RP is going to be one of collaboration.

We're looking for people who want to build a universe!

Could you be what we're looking for?

Last edited:
Nice pitch. I'm interested.

Reactions: Pigiron
I'm very into this!

Reactions: Pigiron and Ariel
I'm interested.

Reactions: Pigiron
Interested! Love a good space story.

You had to track me down but I'm here now XP

You know what, I've been itching for a good roleplay for a good while, so if you guys are in need of more people or something, I wouldn't mind joining if you'd have me and the character(s) I've been wanting to develop/use in something.