The Pheraxis Saga: Rebirth ((OOC/Interest Check))

Status
Not open for further replies.
A pumpkin would be really out of place from my point of view, so it you're gonna have Fiddle, use classic.

You know, classic pumpkin-headed scarecrow? But yeah, Classic probably would be best if I go with the Straw Diabolist (who does not play a fiddle nor with sticks).

You know, classic pumpkin-headed scarecrow? But yeah, Classic probably would be best if I go with the Straw Diabolist (who does not play a fiddle nor with sticks).
Yeah, the classic pumpin-headed scarecrow would make sense, if the ideas of our modern Halloween and its connection to pumpkins existed in this world, which I'm guessing it doesn't. Also, putting a pumpkin on his head would make him more comical than intimidating, as he'd look like a minor Disney villain.

I'd go with Straw Diabolist.

I'd go with Straw Diabolist.

Two out of three. Straw Diabolist goes first, then.

Yeah, the classic pumpin-headed scarecrow would make sense, if the ideas of our modern Halloween and its connection to pumpkins existed in this world, which I'm guessing it doesn't. Also, putting a pumpkin on his head would make him more comical than intimidating, as he'd look like a minor Disney villain.

I guess... Sorry, bud. *Pumpkinhead goes to cry in a corner*

O'lythia 'Lythia' Felborne

b1fac4bb-2426-44a2-977f-4b933c24f1dc_zps3db3bdcb.jpg
Race: Deceased Human
Calling: Previously a Diabolist | Currently a Witch
Affiliation: Neutral, though siding with the alliance between the Ivory Inquisition and Syndicate out of convenience

Equipment
x. Bones - O'lythia practices a number of different magicks, namely Voodoo in which she uses the power infused within the bones within her hair and around her neck. Through this she is able to control lesser beings and slow more powerful foes down for a short amount of time. For all other matters, O'lythia uses her natural magical talents that do not require any instruments.

Personality
O'lythia is a fickle being that favours what other people can do for her over loyalty. Though this is how she has lived for most of her life, she could be a considered an anti-hero of sorts; in that she usually comes through despite the risks. While O'lythia isn't inherently good, she secretly abides by a 'sacrifice one for the good of all' mantra when it comes to community wide threats. Though she is not a completely helpless being, O'lythia knows when an alliance is needed and will often use flirtatious means to achieve it; she is not in the business of degrading herself but she is very respective of others needing certain incentives to side with her. O'lythia is likely not to show any fears either and will mask many of her motions beneath a confidence and seductive visage; though when she does show fear or another strong emotion, the threat is definitely large.
Biography
O'lythia Felborne was always a troubled child. She enjoyed skinning animals with merely a wave of her hand, gathering small creatures for her mother's sacrifices and even relished in summoning her own small demons. Yes, O'lythia Felborne was a monster, and her parents couldn't have been happier. Born to the Warlock Malcolm and the Diabolist, Diana, O'lythia's childhood was filled with all of the dark, menacing things that Pheraxis had to offer. Naturally she was a gifted Diabolist, taking after her mother but as she grew older, Malcolm realised that there was a certain lack of sadism in his only child. He wasn't particularly loving or nurturing but Malcolm had desired offspring that would only solidify the fear others felt when they heard his name. He intended to achieve this by bearing children with various different casters, so that he could steal their abilities and become a Lich. He had plenty of competition and though he was never powerful enough to become a name of note within the Syndicate, Malcolm had his own corner of darkness just like many others.
At the age of thirty-two, after O'lythia had learnt to fully control her menacing abilities, she conjured her own personal minion. She had summoned others in the past but this was different, she had intended on forging a bond with this demon for the rest of her life. So, after all of the ingredients were gathered and the spell had been said, O'lythia was introduced of Haxx, a gruesome Imp with the ability of granting a person's desires. At first their relationship was strained, namely because of the lack of killing that O'lythia would do in his name; but they eventually came to an understanding: if O'lythia would allow him to grant the desires of unsuspecting humans, she would receive a grimoire of considerable power.
Unbeknownst to O'lythia, Haxx wasn't going to summon a grimoire that he owned, he was going to steal it: from her father. By then, O'lythia hadn't seen her father in almost fifteen years, which made their reunion one filled with anger, hatred and vengeance. Haxx had tricked O'lythia into casting a spell from the grimoire only accessible to a Diabolist: it was a spell that would strip a Warlock of their powers and revert them back into a human. O'lythia believed that she was only making her own abilities more powerful. So after realising what was happening, Malcolm summoned his daughter to him and crafted his own deal with Haxx.
In exchange for granting the desires of other powerful casters [opposed to the humans that O'lythia offered him] he required O'lythia's powers after her death. Haxx was very aware that Malcolm had every intention of killing O'lythia right away and though he wouldn't admit it, he had developed a soft spot for the Diabolist. So without allowing Malcolm to suspect anything, Haxx made a deal with the Warlock but added in a number of terms of conditions that Malcolm conveniently failed to read. The first was that if O'lythia were to die an unnatural death, Malcolm would still receive her powers but she would be resurrected as a Witch. Secondly, if Malcolm were to be the one to kill his daughter and cause her untimely death, O'lythia would not only be resurrected but she would also be granted longevity; so that she may exact her revenge on her father.
Unsurprisingly, Malcolm killed his daughter immediately and gained her Diabolist abilities. Though to this day, he still doesn't know that O'lythia is alive and well: and out for his head. Though she does know that he has now joined Garibaldi.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was unsure as to whether or not the image needed to be within a spoiler. @Windsong, do you reckon it does? If not, I'll take it out of the spoiler since the sheet will look a lot prettier. :3 I also hope this is open to anybody and not those who partook in the previous incarnation because I'm going to look a little silly. x)

I was unsure as to whether or not the image needed to be within a spoiler. @Windsong, do you reckon it does? If not, I'll take it out of the spoiler since the sheet will look a lot prettier. :3 I also hope this is open to anybody and not those who partook in the previous incarnation because I'm going to look a little silly. x)
Nah. That's pretty tame compared to some of the character art I own. If anyone wants I'll get the IC thread up and running soon-ish here. Not sure how I'm going to participate fully. Most of my other threads died off when I tried to include some nifty new idea.

Appearance:
Fiddlesticks_OriginalSkin.jpg
Made almost entirely of scrap material, Asag is hardly anything to look at. In fact, the only thing that can be considered intimidating about him is the unearthly green light that flows from his eyes. Otherwise, he is little more than a scarecrow, his limbs composed of wood bound with leather strips at the "joints", his body a log, and his head a smaller log covered by a sack made of a leather material (from what animal, no one except Asag's creator knows). The straw exposed on his body, while mildly intimidating, is only stuffing (though it is attached to his body). The rags he was thrown together with hang loosely off of his skinny form. The unique items he wears are incredibly special to him: The lantern that holds the souls of those he slays and the key he uses to unlock it. And if you listen to the rumors in the Lich's own army, there is yet another lock located in the roof of Asag's mouth. If the rumors are to be believed, this lock (when turned by the golem's own hand by the key) releases the demonic spirit from the body.

Name:
Asag ("the Reaper of Men")

Race:
Gallu (ancient and powerful demon from one of the deepest regions of the Pit, typically summoned for massacres and torture)

• Spirit - Immortal; Existed since the beginning of time along with the other primordial spirits​
  • Body - 120 years​

Calling:
Diabolist

Equipment:
  • Scythe (transfers captured souls to lantern. Blade never dulls or shatters, though the shaft can break despite being made of extremely sturdy wood)​
  • Soul Lantern (captures souls for use in summoning rituals)​
  • Spirit Key (unlocks specific locks, depending on what it was created for. In this case, it is intended for the lock on the Soul Lantern and in Asag's mouth)​

Affiliation:
Assassin in the Service of the Arch Lich Garibaldi

Personality:
Lacking vocal chords and lungs to speak, it is difficult to gauge exactly how imprisonment for a century in the body of a scarecrow has affected the mind of the demon Asag. His corporeal form is incapable of expressing pain or general emotion of any kind. The only sign of enjoyment or agony is the unearthly laughter generated from the empty core of the scarecrow, which roars into existence whenever Asag is struck or in the midst of combat. What this says of the demon, only the onlooker could say. Little details are known of what the demon is like outside of his physical form as most sane Diabolists refused to summon the infamously brutal and cruel abomination.

Biography:
Once upon a time, when Garibaldi himself was young, there was a village called Samae. It was an affluent and beautiful place, full of life and culture. Anyone, Crusader or magi, was welcome to live there so long as they obeyed the law and at least practiced the basics of the cultural celebrations. The most prominent among these was the Hallowed Eve, historically believed to be when the founder of the village, Samael (a farmer-turned-warrior) used the power of the One God, Ymius, to fend off an ancient necromancer and his legions in the name of the people who lived in the area. He became the first Duke of Samae, and upon his death the holiday of the Hallowed Eve, celebrating the night that he spent fighting the unholy enemy, was set to honor him. Every year a cross was erected in the town square, and upon it was erected an effigy of Samael intended to fend off any evil present in the town.

That particular year happened to be around the same time Garibaldi began honing his skills following his ascension as a Lich. Arriving in secret on the day before the Hallowed Eve, Garibaldi witnessed the construction of the effigy and the cross. In the interest of perfecting his skills, he constructed a pentacle around the cross while the village slept. With it, he summoned an ancient fiend, a Gallu, from the darkest pits of Hell and sealed it into the scarecrow used to represent Samael. This wasn't a show of force. It was more a test of his own power, to see how far he could go as a Diabolist. The ritual called for a sacrifice of ten souls, in particular the pure virgin souls of children. The Lich stole the ten from their beds and placed them at the designated markers within the pentacle. The book he used was an ancient grimoire, made entirely of one incantation designed to summon the one great demon. And when the ritual was complete, the Lich was disappointed. Nothing had happened to the effigy, and Garibaldi's precious time had been wasted. He cleaned the site and left Samae.

Two weeks later, he returned, chasing rumors of a mystical murderer in the guise of Samael himself. What he found was a scene of horror unlike anything he could have expected. Where once the effigy had sat on the cross, now the heads of the men, women, and children of Samae were nailed. Their corpses littered the ground, caught in positions of surprise and flight. More than one seemed to have been flung or dragged from their very houses for decapitation. Yet the scarecrow was nowhere to be found. It was only as he exited Samae, when he was confronted by a familiar skeletal figure wielding a bloody scythe, that he learned the truth. The summoning had been a success. And on the Hallowed Eve, when the citizens of Samae gathered around the cross, the demon awoke in the physical world. It had been a bloody massacre. Samae had little to no security as it had never needed any. The Crusade didn't frequently venture out as far as Samae, and most magi living there had since refined their skills for crafting trinkets. They never stood a chance. Unaware of how the fiend would act around the one who summoned it, Garibaldi prepared to do battle with it. Yet even when he threatened the creature with fire and the dead of the world, it did not flinch. When he left the village again, the creature followed. Garibaldi swiftly discovered that the creature existed solely to serve him. He has since put its services to good use.

A century after the summoning and the Slaughter of Samae, Asag is renowned as the first choice for assassination and brute force attacks in Garibaldi's army. His lantern glows brightly, signaling his arrival with an unearthly green glow. His targets never survive after he is set after them, and his blade is always ready for service. When dismissed, Asag sits inanimately in the corner of Garibaldi's throne room, ever-watchful and unnervingly silent. However, the recent years have given him little time to get the rest he doesn't need. With the escalating conflicts between the Lich and his enemies (the Syndicate and the Inquisition), more and more enemies of Garibaldi rise. And are quickly put to rest by the Reaper of Men.​

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the alliance between the Inquisition and the Syndicate hasn't happened yet. In fact, I think it's pretty damn far from happening. Also, Asag seems to be a very good counter to Orrib, since he doesn't have any blood, nor need of any. Without access to blood from a third party, Orrib would be defenceless, which means he would either need his Blood Seal or another living being nearby.

Hmm, I'm pretty sure the alliance between the Inquisition and the Syndicate hasn't happened yet. In fact, I think it's pretty damn far from happening. Also, Asag seems to be a very good counter to Orrib, since he doesn't have any blood, nor need of any. Without access to blood from a third party, Orrib would be defenceless, which means he would either need his Blood Seal or another living being nearby.
Did not intend that... But good to know.

Did not intend that... But good to know.
He isn't defenceless as long as he has access to blood, though. He can still use hardened blood as physical weapons or defences, and with the help of the Blood Seal he could make a rune that would tear that scarecrow apart if caught within it.

He isn't defenceless as long as he has access to blood, though. He can still use hardened blood as physical weapons or defences, and with the help of the Blood Seal he could make a rune that would tear that scarecrow apart if caught within it.
*Defenseless.

Okay, okay. I hate to be the guy who starts making an overpowered character (I actually intend to kill this guy off, but still), but would tearing him apart really make a difference? Like trying to kill a ghost by blowing up the creepy doll it's inhabiting.

*Defenseless.

Okay, okay. I hate to be the guy who starts making an overpowered character (I actually intend to kill this guy off, but still), but would tearing him apart really make a difference? Like trying to kill a ghost by blowing up the creepy doll it's inhabiting.
Well you're denying it a physical form. It's a big trope in fantasy that without a form to manipulate the physical realm most spirits, evil or otherwise, are at a disadvantage.

Just saying.

*Defenseless.
It depends on how spirits react to the destruction of their tether to the mortal plane in this world. Should they be sent to their homerealm upon it's destruction, Asag the Demon would be sent back to the netherworld or wherever the Primordial spirits reside, while Asag the Scarecrow is obliterated. If not, then the scarecrow is destroyed anyway but the demon runs free, no longer held in its prison.

Well you're denying it a physical form. It's a big trope in fantasy that without a form to manipulate the physical realm most spirits, evil or otherwise, are at a disadvantage.
Just saying.

It depends on how spirits react to the destruction of their tether to the mortal plane in this world. Should they be sent to their homerealm upon it's destruction, Asag the Demon would be sent back to the netherworld or wherever the Primordial spirits reside, while Asag the Scarecrow is obliterated. If not, then the scarecrow is destroyed anyway but the demon runs free, no longer held in its prison.
I envisioned the zombie cliché. The reason bombs and grenades are not supposed to not work because zombies move anyway (it's a debate for some other thread, but it is impossible. The zombie body moves because the parts of the brain that were reanimated allow for basic motor control. If the limbs are separated, they lack a functional nervous system, meaning no movement. You're stretching it if the heads still move). Would that apply to a supernaturally possessed piece of wood? Or does Asag go back to the Further to dream of a better tomorrow?

Also, I assumed Asag the demon would be unable to move if Asag the scarecrow was incapable of locomotion, which, I might add, most things ripped apart are.

Also, I assumed Asag the demon would be unable to move if Asag the scarecrow was incapable of locomotion, which, I might add, most things ripped apart are.

Again. Does a ghost/demon have the same locomotive limits as a zombie? Or can it just telekinetically move the limbs, separated or not, or just reattach them?

Again. Does a ghost/demon have the same locomotive limits as a zombie? Or can it just telekinetically move the limbs, separated or not, or just reattach them?
I guess that's up to you. What Orrib can do isn't changed by how much it would actually help.

Wouldn't the movement issue be how he was bound to the scarecrow?
Breaking off parts weakens the body as a whole as it becomes harder and harder to contain such a powerful entity? It's all speculation and up to the creator I guess. Hell, he could be thrown into a wood chipper, then come out the other end and put himself back together with a few more splinters.

Status
Not open for further replies.