The Phantom Gate | IC Thread

The Phantom Gate

"And you're sure? There can be no doubt?" Arms folded over his chest, Galileo studied the headmaster with an expression that bordered on disbelief, and to the young mentor's credit, Osgood could hardly blame him. He was struggling himself to comprehend all that had happened in the last few hours, and there was a part of him, no small part, that was quietly hoping it was all a great misunderstanding… His hands had been washed, thoroughly, but his clothing still reeked of blood and deep in his palm he could feel the slowing pulse of his former friend. Ailenna had never been a violent woman, yet she had killed that day without thought or remorse. Despite all wishful thinking, she'd known what she was doing and he had seen the look in her eye - the pure, venomous hatred. And Osgood knew well the source of that fury…

"I'm sure. Edmure Zane has resurfaced, and whatever his intentions, he has set himself against the council. Ailenna's infiltration could not have been overnight. She was a White Robe. He's been planning this for a while, and it seems the council has been completely unaware."

"When are they not?" This came from the young woman in the corner, who stood twirling a short, choppy strand of black hair around her fingers in front of her nose, "The council's mode of operations seems to be completely oblivious at best, and hellishly corrupt, more likely. Do they still have the ode to their own greatness in the main hall?"

"Now's not the time, Gwen." Renius Lightfoot, Gwen's father, took a step forward from where he had been hovering, silent, by the door, "What we need to discuss is what's to be done. And how we're going to find Zane."

"I don't imagine we'll have to find him, my old friend. He'll come to us when the time is right…" With a sigh, Osgood pinched the bridge of his nose, "He'll need allies, and making an enemy of the Academy isn't an angle he'll want to take. Not when he's going up against the council. The question is--"

"There is no question, Osgood." Renius chimed in, a brow lifting, "We cannot aid him in what is effectively outright war with all of Denmar. Whatever qualms he has against the council, we cannot put ourselves at risk."

"I know he is your friend, Ozzie, but Ren is right…" The softer interjection came from his left, as a gentle hand rested against his forearm, Ar'lien Anniset gaze piercing and compassionate, all the same, "We cannot put the Academy at risk. The students…"

"I know. Believe me, I know." Looking up, Osgood smiled dryly, "I also know what that means for me. And I will do what's necessary for the safety and security of this school." His eyes rose, falling on each of the mentors present, the depth of sincerity there mingling with emotion of another kind. For a time, they lingered on Renius, who gave an understanding nod, before the headmaster continued, "You've my word, the Academy comes first. But it won't be easy, and I will… I will need your help."

"You have it, Oz. You always have." Renius answered.

"And in the meantime, we'll do what we can to try and figure out Zane's next move." Rising from his seat, the man beside Galileo gave a deep bow of his head.

"I can attempt a scry, this evening. The moon is high and bright and the stars will have much to say, I hope."

"Thank you, Archellus. Dema. I have no doubt you will find all you can, but I do not expect there to be much. All the same, I appreciate it. All of you… You are invaluable to me…" The emotion that filled his voice fell into silence, before his chair scraped back and he stood, "Now then, I should see to the students. They've been through quite an ordeal."

As he left the room, Osgood found footsteps trailing after him and turning, he frowned slightly, "What is it, Ar'lien?"

"...You know what will happen, Ozzie. If you take Edmure down."

Smiling faintly, Osgood reached out to cup the white haired woman's arms, giving them each a gentle squeeze, "I know very well, my dear. As do, I'm sure, you and Renius. As I've said, I'm prepared to do whatever I must. Maybe it's time, anyway."

Shaking her head, Ar'lien stepped closer and wrapping her arms around his shoulders, gave the headmaster a strong hug, "I'm so sorry…"

Patting her gingerly on the back, Osgood nodded, pulling free a moment later, "As am I. But even titans must fall, sometimes. He isn't wrong, you know. The council has been without reproach for too long. And while I cannot condone his methods, I also cannot help but think that perhaps it is time some changes were made. Let us just hope that it can all be done without further bloodshed."

"Peace is rarely ever anything but the blanket we lay over those lost in the war fought to attain it. Still… I hope so, too. Do you need me to come with you to speak to them?"

Chuckling lightly, Osgood shook his head, "I think I can manage. But I would not say no to tea, later, yes?"

"Of course." With a smile and a nod, Ar'lien turned away and watching her go for a moment, Osgood sighed, before he went off in the opposite direction.

He arrived a short while later outside of the common room and with a deep breath, he turned the doorknob, pushing his way inside. Conversation was in full swing, but the room fell quiet as he stepped through. All at once, Osgood was reminded of the brief moment in the Waiting Room, when he could see their looks of expectation and confusion, but he had chosen to ignore them, then.

Clearing his throat, he stepped forward, "I apologize for the wait. I am sure you have many questions, and I will do my best to answer them. Full disclosure, there are some things… Too many that I do not yet know, and many things I cannot tell you, but I will strive for transparency, as well as I am able. But to save us some time, perhaps… The woman who attacked the council was Ailenna.. A former ally of mine in the war of realms and a dear friend. I cannot fully explain what happened, or why she attacked, except to say that I am not the only one who holds the council in ill regard, and certainly my distain is not the strongest. She was working for Edmure Zane… who has, for his time, done great things for the world of magic, but since has become something of a criminal by the council's terms and remains a fugitive at large. His qualms with the council, by large, have a great deal to do with their overstepping in regards to the Plainspoken realm, though there are far more personal considerations I will not go into. It seems, however, even I am unaware of just how deeply rooted his anger has become over the years. I was not prepared, today, and I should have been, and for that I am sorry. So very sorry."

A taut muscle of focus to hold onto a moving moment and keep her place here that strength started to flag as the darkness started creeping in. Inch by inch she glanced at the extents of a deeper dark the others weren't subject to. As the more distant one the spear-wielder sank out of her sight within the undulating murk.

Castanea cast a gaze up and down Harlow while she could still see them as her jaw tightens at the suspicion of her own kind though held her tongue. Instead a tired but curt reply, "Peaceful circumstances well behind me I do admit I'd like to see the sea rather than a battle ahead of me...." @KatSea

The door ended her comment in an attentive glare as Osgood returns to see Castanaea's legs starting to quiver at the strain of holding her own shore for barely part of an hour. A faint tremble like a limb too cold of one in a fight too long. As Osgood's shore poured into the room then eclipsed her sinking island at the fire a shiver of exhaustion releases her effort by a deep breath. One hand holds the edge of her small bench to stay upright. The warmth of the fire and feeling returns to numb limbs so rubs her calves through a false pant leg and twirls a foot to convince them to feel and march onward when needed.

The blonde hair hung limp and obscures her facial scars though shared his interest in not saying everything with a slow choice of words to Osgood, "She may not have known of the effect of her attack on your person by proxy. Do you? Time will tell if it was Nature or a man that wanted her there but one will find her sooner. Prepare as able, Nature has always had more time once on the battlefield. I ask nothing more."

Will stood her up with effort as her legs tried to go out from underneath her added, "Though the causes by which this Edmund Zane might burn against the council are as varied as numerous. I'm among a crowd of those that have no right to argue with his complaint against the treatment of the plainspoken by the powers that bind."