Online Availability
8:00 AM - 4:00 PM
Writing Levels
  1. Prestige
Preferred Character Gender
  1. Male
  2. Primarily Prefer Female
Genres
Political intrigue, fantasy, futuristic, sci fi lite, superheroes, historical fiction, alternate universes. Smittings of romance, but only as side plot.
Marcellus;Quicksand;LB;

THE
PHANTOM
GATE
part one

PLOT
Nearly half a millennia has passed since the Great War of Realms, when the Phantom Gate was opened and magic was released within the Plainspoken World, changing mankind irreparably. Violence broke, demonic forces spilling into streets and homes, terrorizing innocents and driving men to madness.

During the course of the war, the Decree of the Seven was put into place to protect all worlds from the abuse of magic. Eventually, the forces of evil were driven back, sealed behind the gate. Now, time has decayed memory, and few exist who even know of the war… but something brews beneath the surface once again. Something stirs within the darkness, threatening to rise…

And one man in particular has determined that humanity should not be caught off balance again. Osgood Price has once more opened the Academy of the Awoken, scouring the planet for those possessed of the gifts with which to fight the great evil building beyond the mysterious gateway between realms.

OOC
RULES
The Phantom Gate is an Urban Fantasy RP set largely in modern times. This will be a fairly intermediate roleplay with a fully realized plot (beginning, middle and end). That being said, a lot of the plot direction will depend on player action. We will build the story together as we go along, with exciting twists and events. I will be accepting no more than ten players, and for the time being you may make one character only (this may change, depending on the amount of players).

I will be expecting posts every other week, though more frequently is of course more than welcome. As well, collaborative writing (collab posts) will be expected, but I do ask that if you collab you don't take more than the allotted two weeks to finish/post. I shouldn't need to mention it, but I will because sadly, it's an issue I've come across too often. READ EVERYTHING. RP is a cooperative process and it involves more reading than writing. It doesn't matter if it involves your character or not. Please read it. The other players will extend the same courtesy to you, and you don't wanna be the person who misses something important cause you skimmed.

There are no real length expectations, but I do ask that you shoot for at least a few solid paragraphs in order to keep things moving forward. One liners are not permitted, simply because these rarely serve to drive the plot and are exceptionally difficult by which to respond. Please be sure to proofread your posts. Errors are fine, and I'm not a grammar snob, but constant unreadable mistakes can be a drag to read. I'd also ask that if you get stuck you let me know - I'm more than willing to work through issues with you, but only if I know they exist.

Content wise, I ask that you avoid gratuitous violence/language. Sexual content of any kind is not permitted - any romance is required to fade to black. Thematic elements are okay, provided you use discretion. If someone is uncomfortable with an idea, don't do it. We all have different comfort levels, but general insensitivity will not be tolerated.

OOC nonsense is absolutely fine, but OOC drama is a no go. If you can't get along with the other players or have a tendency to be argumentative/confrontational, you are probably not gonna be a great fit. Communication is a NECESSITY. If you aren't willing to commit to plotting/chatting with other folk on a pretty consistent basis, you might not wanna jump into this one. We jabber. A lot. It's fun. Please enjoy the fun?

I don't expect you to live your life around the RP, but ghosts don't make for great players. RL comes first and if you have to take a break or can't post for a period of time that's fine, but please let me know. While I’m happy to accommodate any absences ICly, but failure to reply or inform me of such an absence/hiatus will likely result in your removal from the RP.

I will be utilizing a DISCORD server for chatting/plotting/organization purposes and do ask that if you choose to join the RP you also join this, as it makes it easier for announcements and planning. I’m a busy wife and momma, so I can’t always be on Iwaku, but I can check Discord more frequently. The link for the server will be posted as soon as I have reviewed/accepted characters. If for some CRAZY reason you cannot join the discord, please be sure to let me know and I will do my best to keep you updated, but note you will miss a lot of the plotting and general tomfoolery, so I do ask that you consider joining.

Once the character sign ups are posted you will have roughly a week to two weeks to finish the application before I begin the selection process. Characters will not be first come first serve, but will be chosen based on creativity, content quality and your site history (whether or not you've dropped RPs/posting consistency/quality/ability to interact well with others/willingness to plot). Note that if you are new to the site or hide your post history, I may ask for writing samples to clarify.

As always, all IWAKU rules and policies are non-negotiable.

I will absolutely accept questions via PM or DM should any arise!

Most importantly - while it will contain drama and peril and dark elements, this RP is largely meant to be a fun adventure. If you’re here to be a grimdark edgelord powerplayer, this isn’t the RP for you.

CHARACTER SIGN UPS

Note: certain character types are considered at this time unplayable, please DM or PM me if you have any questions or ideas you would like to run by me!

MAGIC TYPES
& SCHOOLS

ARCANE
Arcane magic is a type of magic which requires the use of material components. Arcane magic is easily the most common branch, though it requires a great deal of learning to properly adapt, particularly in the use of new or uncommon spells.
  • EVOCATION || Creation/Manipulation of magic energy
  • ILLUSION ||Deceptive magic
  • TRANSMUTATION || Transformational magic

DIVINE
Divine magic is general ‘granted’ - more often via celestial sources, though it can also be passed down between worthy casters. Divine magic often requires a purity of heart and soul - and as such is the least common of magics.
  • ABJURATION || Protective spells/Suppressive spells
  • CONJURATION || Summoning spells/Teleportation

PSYCHIC
Spells are drawn from emotional or mental connections - soul magic. Soul magic is intensely draining on the user and as such, requires lengthier recovery time between spells. Overuse of psychic magic can result in physics cal and even mental damage.
  • * DIVINATION || Foresight/Dreams
  • ENCHANTMENT || Mind control/Charms
* Divination falls under Psychic magic, but many believe its greater source is Divine. This theory is such a popular one that many users of this school of magic are referred to as The Divine.

RITUAL
Ritual magic is all magic related to or requiring a ritual of any sort. Ritual magic, unlike the other three types does not require prior knowledge or training - though less experience generally has disastrous results.
  • ELEMENTAL
iy5ZEok.png
  • FIRE is a hungry, intense Element. It is associated with strength, emotion, and change.
  • METAL is a stark, vigorous Element. It is associated with focus, willpower and potential.
  • EARTH is a static, monolithic Element. It is associated with endurance, determination and fertility.
  • WATER is an enigmatic, amorphous Element. It is associated with flexibility, intellect and momentum.
  • WOOD is a steady, progressive Element. It is associated with vitality, patience and purity.
  • AIR is an aloof, dynamic Element. It is associated with speed, creativity and confidence.
  • AETHER is a radiant, energetic Element. It is associated with power, wisdom and clarity.
  • RUNES | Archaic symbols, etched into objects or draw upon a person, which bear magical properties. To date there are twenty-one runes which can be utilized.

REPREHENSIBLE
These magics are thought to be so unethical and dangerous, they are almost never practiced by anyone decent. These include Necromancy and the use of Blood magic - both of which have resultant consequences of a great nature.

FAE MAGI
Because Fairies are largely tricksters, their magic can be considerably unreliable and general has a double meaning. Fairy magic is largely reliant on seven principles of Fae Concentration and are drawn similar to rune magic, though with more flourish.
  • Remedy - a healing magic which leaves the target largely inebriated for a lengthy period of time.
  • Charm - a spell that allows the Fae to ‘charm’ a target. Charm spells have been know to go graphically wrong - particularly on males.
  • Luck - a spell that alters ‘chance’. Generally, it does not work in favor of the target.
  • Protect - a shielding spell that traps the target in a crystal-like shell - the difficulty is in escaping the protection.
  • Bind - a spell that effectively binds two souls to one another. Extremely dangerous and difficult to break without killing one or both of the targets.
  • Enlighten - something of a ‘truth’ spell. Effective, if one wants to know far too much about someone.
  • Transform - a spell which can transform an object or person. Fae have been known to do this… and then forget what the object or person was before they transformed them.

RACES

HUMAN

Plainspoken | Common man - free of magic and/or all things supernatural. Generally unaware of the world beyond their own. Humans lifespan is roughly 70-100 years of age. Plainspoken are generally seen as lesser beings to those from other realms, due in part to their lack of magical prowess, but also their volatile and self destructive nature.

Awoken | Plainspoken with a knowledge of the supernatural realm - general through familial connections or occurrences in which they experienced the supernatural themselves. While their lifespan remains the same as Plainspoken, the Awoken are regarded with slightly more respect in the lower-level magical communities.

Enchanted | These are Plainspoken possessing the gift of magic - usually half-bred with Conjurers. Enchanter lifespan is lengthier than the Plainspoken, last anywhere between 300-500 years of age. They are regarded with respect by all but the purest blooded Conjurers, who consider the notion of mixing with Plainspoken the deepest act of offense.

Conjurers | While bearing an appearance of Plainspoken, Conjurers are, in fact, purebred magic users, having origins within a realm beyond that of common man. Conjurers are considered the highest and purest form of magic - because of this, they are deeply regarded among the magical communities in all three realms. Their lifespan can be anywhere from 500 years to well over 1500, though some Conjurers have been known to ‘trick’ time and possess near immortality.

FAE

Faerie [Pixie, Sprite, Nyx] || Faerie kind are creatures possessed of their own breed of magic (fae magi). These creatures can exist within the common realm, but upon entrance to and return from, must sacrifice something of significance to them in order to maintain a proper disguise among the Plainspoken. Faeries are extremely mischievous and temperamental and as such, are generally found to be a nuisance to non-fae kind. Fae possess incredibly long lifespans - the eldest Fae thought to be well over 2000 years old (though Fae do have a tendency to exaggerate…). Fae are both highly disliked and bear a strong dislike for the magic communities outside of their own - their devious and childish nature giving them a reputation of immaturity and disregard for the law.
  • Pixie are identified by their unusual colored hair and eyes, even when disguised. Pixies are possessed of the strongest fae magi, and are generally seen as the ruling breed of fae. They are highly intelligent and thrive on manipulation and control.
  • Sprites are a lesser breed of pixie, thought to have at one time spawned from crossbreeding with Goblin kind, though on lesser scales than that of the Nyx. While possessed of magic as well, it is generally less powerful, and is more often associated with fae pranks on humankind.
  • Nyx are known half breeds of pixies and goblins - dark fae. These possess a perverted branch of fae magi and are considered outlawed, even among the Court.

Goblin [Changeling, Boggart] || Goblins are underdwellers in the faerie realm - not possessed of magic, these creatures are, nevertheless not to be trifled with. Dangerous and deadly, they have the fae-like desire for mischief, but in a much darker sense, as well as an extreme hatred for Plainspoken. Goblin are known to hold a grudge for centuries, and will risk even their own lives for a taste of revenge. Goblin lifespans are shorter than Fae, largely due to their lack of magic. They tend to live roughly 300-500 years. Among the magical kind, Goblins are viewed under the same light as demons and beasts, a sore point for the Fae for many millennia.
  • Changeling are Goblins who have crossed into the realm of the Plainspoken (generally using a bridge created by fae magi) - once they have crossed into this realm, they are trapped there, taking the form of a Plainspoken (who is then transplanted into the Underrealm). One can identify a changeling by a birthmark in the shape of a Goblin numeric value. This same mark will appear on the human likeness, as a scar.
  • Boggart || If the Plainspoken form of a Changeling is rescued from the Underrealm, the Changeling becomes a Boggart - something of a goblin ghost, feeding on fears and insecurities.

BEAST

Werebeasts || What once began as fae mischief became a thing of terror. Werebeasts are former Plainspoken, bitten by fae-cursed creatures and destined to live half-lives, tormented by transformation at varying positions of the earth’s moon. While they can exist within society, it is often dangerous, as their fully transformed minds cannot withstand the murderous and violent tendencies without magical interference and their bi-pedal beastly forms are not exactly easy to hide. Werebeast lifespan is generally on par with a natural human lifespan. Once a human has been cursed, they can no longer reproduce. Werebeasts, despite being part human are considered as less than, by most in the magical community. Nearly any warm-blooded, carnivorous creature can be fae-cursed, but most notable are canine, feline and ursine.

Manifestations || While categorized as monsters, manifestations are, in fact, generally human more of their lives. Utilizing alchemy, these creatures have discovered a way to manifest the darker parts of themselves into personas, allowing for dual lives, seemingly devoid of consequences to one identity or the other.

Trolls || Rock-like gollums, who make their homes beneath bridges and in tunnels. Generally, trolls are harmless to humankind, as they prefer to feed on rocks, but some have been known to create havoc if they feel threatened or if they get too bored in their stagnancy. Throughout the ages a few trolls have existed with a particular thirst for malice, but never posed much threat to mankind. The lifespan of a typical troll is between 250-300 years. Given their lack of intelligence, and lack of magic, Trolls are disregarded among magic-kind. They cannot disguise themselves as Plainspoken, but those with a modicum of intelligence are capable of disguising themselves as objects. Trolls are, however, notoriously ticklish which can give them away quite easily.

Half-Giants || While their predecessors have all but vanished from history, half-giants are thought to be an odd mingling of giant and Plainspoken bloodlines, creating massively large creatures. Half-giants rarely function within society, as they tend to be highly aggressive and territorial, and their appetites are largely inclined towards gorging on raw meat. Half-Giants lifespans are similar to Trolls. They have slightly more clout in the magical community, but only because most Conjurers have a healthy fear of being crushed. While unlikely, it is not impossible for the odd half-giants to disguise themselves among the plainspoken, but generally, they are so incapable of controlling their temper long enough that any attempts have been dissuaded by the council.

Merkind || Merkind, as one might imagine, function beneath the surface of large bodies of water. These creatures are generally elusive and avoid humanity, though some have ventured as far as the shoreline. Merkind can exist for short periods of time outside of the water, generally through magical means, but must return before sunset at risk of their safety. Merkind come in several variations, including Mermaids, Melusine, Selkies and Kelpie. Their lifespan and physical appearance while disguised is close to that of Fae, giving the impression that as some point the two races were of similar nature.
  • Mermaids || Found within salt-water, mermaids are the most common and well-known of merkind. When in their natural state, appear to be half-fish, half-human. Their human features are generally, to some degree, more aquatic-minded than most artistic depictions, and all mermaids possess gills.
  • Melusine || These are fresh-water mermaids, differing from their salt-water sisters in that their tails generally appear more serpentine than those of fish. Their human features are also considerably less fish-like.
  • Selkies || Selkies appear as seals when in their natural form. They are required to keep their pelts on them at all times when transformed into their human likeness, as a stolen pelt compels a Selkie to serve the thief to whatever capacity they require.
  • Kelpie || While similar to most mercreatures, Kelpie vary in that when in their natural form, they appear entirely as aquatic horses, retaining no human features, whatsoever. Kelpie are generally the more mischievous of the mercreatures, and it is not uncommon for a Kelpie to attempt to bespell humans for the simple purpose of driving them to drown themselves.

Stitch Golum || As best represented in Mary Shelly’s novel, Stitch Golum monsters are an amalgamation of bits and pieces of other beings - generally human, though not always - and brought to life by magical manipulation and/or alchemical design. Stitch Golum are generally lacking in intelligence, though not always, and very rarely do the possess the capability of human morality or virtue. Rare occasions have been met, however, where a Stitch Golum exists for long enough a period of time that they are able to develop near-human characteristics and traits. Stitch Golum appear to possess no real lifespan, as they are effectively artificially created beings. Stitch Golum cannot easily be disguised, and are therefore not generally permitted in public by the Council.

Non-Sentients || This particular breed of monsters exist everywhere, though they are extremely rare within the Plainspoken realm. They are generally more beastlike - incapable of things like speech and rationality. There are the odd exceptions, but these are even more rare or unlikely. These exceptions, however, generally possess the capability of transformation - utilizing a human form of sorts. Among the more notable creatures are yeti or sasquatch, sea monsters, gorgons, lamia and chimera-like creatures.

DEMONS

Demons || Hellspawned creatures, malicious, devious and possessive. These creatures thrive on destruction and devastation, and are capable blending in to common society, making them exceptionally difficult to locate without magic. Provided they are not vanquished, demons appear to have infinite lifespans. They are, nevertheless, disregarded among magic kind. When disguised as Plainspoken, Demons are only identifiable by the telltale glow of their eyes in perfect darkness.
  • Lesser Demons || These are the less intelligent variations of demons. More often than not, these are the sort mistakenly summoned by rowdy college kids, or exercised from witless Plainspoken. Generally more beast-like in appearance and behavior.
  • Greater Demons || Greater Demons are highly intelligent and calculating. These are the ‘control’ demons, capable of human-like thought and action. Greater Demon are the only variant capable of reproduction, but they cannot reproduce with another demon. Instead, they spawn from eggs, produced in brimstone springs in the Phantom Realm.
  • Middling Demons || While more intelligent than Lessers, Middlings have a tendency to act more on instinct than thought. These are generally kept in the employ of Greaters and used as grunt forces. Middling demons are capable of speech and interactions, but generally fall on the more primitive end of the spectrum.

Vampires || A deviation of Blood Magic users - mutated by overuse of their magic, and ultimately give over to demonic charge. Vampires are sustained by blood and cannot survive long without feeding. Because of their demonic sides, they are sensitive to daylight, fire and holy objects, and given their heightened sense of smell and the perversion of their tastes, cannot tolerate the smell of strong odors. They thoroughly enjoy anything made of copper or iron. Generally, vampires cannot be redeemed from their state, but there have been odd occurrences where a vampire chooses to align with a more neutral or even good elements for self-sustainability. Vampires are immortal - a consequence of their mutation. They are considered abominations among those magical, for their abuse of Reprehensible magic. While not all redheads are vampiric, all vampires are, in fact, redheads, a outward mark of their abuse of magic.

Damphir || A half-breed offspring, resultant of the union of a human and vampire. Damphir require blood to survive, but can lead more normal lives among the Plainspoken, as they are also able to tolerate most common foods, as well as daylight. They are also generally more even tempered and are considered more respectable among those of the magically community. While not immortal Damphir do have an unusually long lifespan - roughly akin to Conjurers. Damphir, unlike their vampire lineage have a considerately more varied appearance, though red hair is not uncommon.

Cambions || This is a half-breed between Plainspoken and demon-kind. Generally, Cambions are reflective of their environment - if raised in human society, they tend to possess more human traits, and vise versa when involved largely in demonic societies. Because of their demon heritage, Cambions are immortal. They are highly unpopular among the more prejudiced of the magical community. Cambion possess a demonic form, but rarely utilize it, given the influence it has on one's mind. Physically, Cambion have little to no difficulties blending in within the Plainspoken realm, but they are required by law to register. Failure to register as a Cambion is a severely punishable offense.

ANGELION

Celestials || Simply put, celestial are beings of immense power, thought to dwell in the Realm of An'thiel, or the Realm of Light. Celestial very rarely leave their realm, and fewer still have ever been seen. They possess and can bestow divine magic and are most closely associated with angelic creatures. Their lifespan appears infinite, and their appearance is humanoid to a degree, though lacking in facial features that might be comparable to humankind. It is unknown as to whether celestials can disguise themselves as humans, though some greatly believe it's possible. While divine magic is their source, Celestials typically lord over an elemental domain, as well - giving each a unique appearance and energy signature.

Champions || Humans, chosen by Celestials to bear a greater purpose, and possessed of great lengths of divine magic. While Celestials are, it seems, incapable of reproduction, Champions are what would appear to be the closest offspring a Celestial might have. Champions can be chosen as early as their birth, and at any point thereafter, prior to their death. While they are considerably gifted in divine magic, their lifespan remains fixed in the realms of humanity, and they can be killed by ordinary means. Champions appear no different, after their bestowal than they do before, but supposedly possess a branch of rare divine magic which allows them, in times of great need, to transform their appearance to something more akin to their magical source.

Guardian || Guardians are servants of Celestial beings. Paired with an element, they possess enormous power, but are entirely subservient to those under their charge. While in the service of Celestials, Guardians can be 'contracted' out to other sources, provided those sources meet with Celestial requirements. The largest number of contracted Guardians reside within the High Court of Wills, within the realm of Denmar.

SPIRITUAL

Ghosts || Spiritual beings that have passed on from the mortal realm, but have not progressed further - generally due to unfinished business of one kind or another. Ghosts are capable of the ability to pass over, should their unfinished business be satisfied, but some are so desperately attached to the world that they choose never to leave it. Ghosts also hold the capability of possessing bodies temporarily, in order to relay messages or deliver warnings. The possessed are rarely aware of the occurrence, unless otherwise informed. As they are already deceased, Ghosts have no lifespan, and their appearance is that of their earthly form, though non-corporeal.

Poltergeist || Similar in effect to ghosts in both form and in lacking a lifespan, Poltergeist are nevertheless far more volatile and fearsome creatures. Generally the souls left behind due to deaths of horrible and painful means, Poltergeist haunt the locations in which they have perished. The have no unfinished business, per say, beyond retribution, but because their souls are so corrupted by their thirst for vengeance, they are incapable of passing on. Poltergeist are not able, unlike ghosts, to possess corporeally - but they are able to utilize a means of telekinetic energy, which can be used to torment those unfortunate enough to come across them.

Bodachs || Non-sentient ghouls, Bodachs are omens of bad things to come. They cannot be seen by those who do not possess the gift of foresight or by those capable of seeing or speaking to the dead. Because it is in their nature to remain hidden, they will eliminate any who are shown capable of seeing them (and, in fact, can only affect the world around them when it becomes clear they have been seen). It is commonly known by those that have the sight, the more bodachs that appear in a singular location, the greater the destruction or devastation will be.

MAGIC in DEPTH

CONJURATION

|| LOOKING GLASS ||
Known as Soul Phasing, the technique is done by utilizing a reflective surface to transfer, transition or communicate through the realms between realms - passing from one space to another.
  • Liquid || Portals (any liquid that reflects a full shape - such a round bridges or arches that create gateways - can be used to cross between realms) These gateways can be artificially created, but must create a perfect circle or no passthrough will be possible.
  • Mirrors || Doors (a mirror can be used to pass between one room, into the next) - If a mirror is broken before one can properly pass into the next space, the phaser will be stuck within the in-between.
  • Glass || Relays (glass surfaces can be used to communicate between realms). There are very little resistances or dangers to using relays, but an inexperienced phaser may find themselves overheard by another phaser if they don’t properly secure channels.
  • Shadow || Can be used similar to portals - but this method is extreme dangerous and controversial, as it involves soul-phasing with another living being. Shadow jumping can only be done using a living shadow. One cannot phase through an inanimate shadow.
  • Repercussions || If done improperly or by an inexperienced phaser, one might find themselves trapped between realms, reappearing in an unknown location or, in the case of shadow phasing, spliced with the soul belonging to the shadow used for the portal.

|| SUMMON ||
  • Calling for Objects || With an incantation, objects can be summoned to the conjurer from a great distance. This spell, however, cannot function between realms, or if wards are in place to protect an object. One must have, at some point, touched the object at a point in time, in order for it to be summoned.

• Calling for Person || Like objects, people can also be summoned. This spell is decidedly more complicated, as the person being summoned needs to be a willing participant. People, like objects, can only be summoned when they have had previous contact with the conjurer.

|| TRANSCENDENT WEAPONRY ||
Weapons summoned from the spirit-realm between realms, bearing magical properties. Indestructible and requiring limited upkeep.
  • Spirit Blade || A blade bearing magical properties. [short or long blades]
  • Spirit Shield || A magical shield.
  • Spirit Bow || A magical bow and quiver, containing unlimited arrows.
  • Spirit Pike || A magical staff with a sharpened spear-like tip.
  • Spirit Mace || A magical spiked mace.

|| SHATTER ||
A bombardment spell, used to break objects. The spell cannot be used on objects that are unbreakable or on anything warded/protected. It does not work on living beings.

|| GUIDING SOUL ||
A spell which allows for the brief communion with a passed spirit. Non-necromantic, the spell only lasts a few minutes, before the spirit returns to the Realm Beyond. Because speech after death is nearly impossible, any questions posed to the spirit must be yes or no.

|| VISIONARY ||
Briefly enhances one’s senses, allowing for the ability to see further, hear noises at a higher frequency, track by scent and so on…

|| ELEMENTAL ||
Allows the conjuration and use of the basic seven elements.

ABJURATION

|| HEALING HANDS ||
  • Materials || Healing materials can be found in everyday ordinary household items, as well as those things with more magical properties. Primarily, oils, herbs and minerals are functional vessels in which to fill with abjuration magic, but one can also use items such as charms and amulets, bindings (thread, ribbon and cords) or articles of clothing.
  • Methods || Like material, there are also many methods one can use for healing - the most common is prayerful incantations, but one can also use musical methods (instrumental and vocal), as well as silent means, such a touch and, for the particularly strong healer, visual concentration.
  • Transitionary Healing || Considerably more difficult and bearing far greater consequences to the ordinary methods of healing, Transitionary Healing involves taking one’s injuries upon themselves. This method is generally only done when time is of the essence

|| AEGIS ||
A shield spell - used to shield a person, When shielded, the subject cannot be attacked, transported or located/tracked. Shielding requires a small sacrifice of an item of moderate use or importance.

|| FORSAKEN ||
Magical wards - similar to a healing spell, this particular spell can ward an object, ensuring it cannot be located by any magical sources. If a ward is disrupted by its designer, it will cease to function.

||SANCTUARY||
Similar to Aegis and Forsaken, Sanctuary allows for the protection of a place - this spell must be performed by multiple conjurers,

|| KINDRED ||
A soul binding spell - kindred can only be performed by two souls directly aligned in their desire to connect. This spell is so rarely performed, largely because of the volatile nature of its repercussions. If successful, however, those bound by the Kindred spell are exponentially stronger in magic and in spirit. It should also be noted, both parties of this spell do not need to be skilled in abjuration, but it is more likely to take if they are.

Should one member of the spell perish, however, the other member would suffer greatly, their power and life force weakening.

|| FRACTURE ||
A curse breaking spell. This particular spell must only be used by a highly gifted conjurer, as failing can have unparalleled consequences, including an increase to the curse’s magnitude or a rebound of the curse to the conjurer.

|| SILENCE ||
A spell which temporarily mutes the object targeted. Most particularly useful when facing a conjurer specializing in verbal incantations.

TRANSMUTATION

|| CONNECTED SPIRITS ||
Familiars || Those gifted in transmutation have the ability to transition a small portion of the soul into the body of a familiar - a spirit animal. Familiars can be any living animal, though connections are considerably more difficult in creatures with cold-blood.

So long as a familiar is activated, the conjurer cannot be killed. Familiars can also be used as gateways and if necessary, one can use their familiar’s senses as their own.

Connections to a familiar can be severed - though this will happen naturally if the familiar is killed, or the established connection lapses due to lack of use.

|| DISGUISE ||
A spell to temporarily alter one's appearance, or the appearance of another. This is a gift-based magic, the length of time the disguise lasts based solely on the abilities of the conjurer and their level of concentration.

|| AWAKEN ||
A spell to temporarily bring life to an inanimate object. The object acts as a puppet, controlled by the conjurer, but can only be controlled for a brief period of time.

|| RESHAPE ||
A spell to resize an object - either to enlarge the object or reduce the size. Cannot be used on living beings or buildings that contain a living being.

|| HANDS OF TIME ||
A spell to speed up or slow down a particular subject. These effects are only temporary, and less effective on an animate object. Cannot be performed on objects or persons that are warded/shielded.

|| STITCH ||
A spell dedicated to the mending of objects. In reverse, it can also be used to tear or rend. This cannot be used on living beings.

|| SWITCH ||
A spell used to switch two objects. Can be used to hide or protect an item, but must be utilized with caution to avoid losing objects.

ILLUSIONS

|| STOLEN SENSES ||
  • Hearing || Through illusionary magic, one can ‘borrow’ the ears of another in order to eavesdrop on conversations. This connection can be made by visual contact and a small incantation. The spell lasts until the counter incantation is given, but one must remember that they will effectively be deaf through their own ears until the spell is severed. Without magical means of detection, the intended target will be unaware of the spell.
  • Sight || Similar to the hearing spell, but allowing for visual connection instead. These two spells can be combined, but the risks are greater for failure, and it leaves the conjurer deaf and blind until the spell ends.

|| MIMIC ||
With this spell, one may speak with the voice of another. In order to perform this spell, the conjurer is required to have heard the voice they are mimicking. This spell has a incantation and counter-incantation as well.

|| GLAMOUR ||
Allows the appearance of an object, image or even a person to be distorted, so it cannot be properly seen.

|| NIGHTMARE ||
Allows a fearful image to be presented to the target for a temporary stretch of time. These are not physical images, and cannot cause harm, but can strain the mind if one allows.

|| MIRROR ||
Allows a mirror image of a subject to be created. This mirror image will not function in any way similar to its copy, as it is merely a facsimile of the original. Can be used on living objects, but the mirrored being will not convincingly be able to behave as its counterpart. An object must be used to serve as the mirror vessel. In the case of a living object, animal sources can be used.

|| MIRAGE ||
Creates a false image of a location. The mirage lasts only until the location is reached, then the vision will return to normal.

|| MENTAL CAGE ||
Temporarily traps a target within a prison in their mind. This can be warded against, but when successful, escape depends entirely upon a person's mental capacity.

DIVINATION

|| DREAM WALKING ||
Mind-Guide || Using the suspended state of the conscious mind, Divinatory magic users can enter the dreams of others. This is generally utilized as a method of communication, but can also be used to plant images or ideas in a person’s mind without their knowledge.

There are incredible dangers in this method of mental submersion, largely because an inexperienced conjurer could find themselves trapped among the subconscious thoughts of their intended target.

There are also many ethical concerns regarding the use of this particular spell, as it can be viewed as invasive and even used for involuntary subversion and indoctrination.

|| CONFESSION ||
A divination spell which makes it impossible for a person to lie to the conjurer utilizing the spell. This effect is not temporary, but can fade if the conjurer loses magical strength.

|| TRUE VISION ||
A spell which allows the conjurer to see through disguises, glamours and other trickery magic. This also allows for the subject to see a subject's true natural race when in the Plainspoken realm.

|| FORESIGHT ||
A spell which allows the conjurer to see visions of a person's future. Extremely dangerous, considering misinterpretation and never recommended outside of absolute necessity.

|| HINDSIGHT ||
Similar to foresight, the spell offers the conjurer a glimpse into a person's past. Less dangerous than foresight, but still quite easy to misinterpret and thereby not often recommended.

|| ALERT ||
Allows for pure directional sense for the conjurer, as well as the ability to detect traps or dangers within a location.

|| SCRYING ||
Allows a person, place or item to be found, by use of a map. Can be used to find disguised or shielded things, but if wards are in place this could be mentally draining on the conjurer.

EVOCATION

|| EIDOLONS ||
Through evocation, one can call upon an ancient, legendary spirit known as an eidolon. While eidolons are only the image of the spirit and not the spirit itself, the powers they possess and expel are nevertheless quite effective.

Eidolons cannot linger long - generally only able to cast one to two spells after being summoned.

|| ANIMAL TAMING ||
Allows the conjurer to tame a living animal. This spell is less effective on animals who are already connected familiars and has nearly no effect on werebeasts. As animals tend to be more instinctive beings, the purer the heart of the conjurer, the more effective the connection may be.

|| TELEPATHY ||
The ability to communicate with a creature through a telepathic bond. This is most effective with a familiar, but can be used on non-familiar animals and some willing werebeasts. Also highly effective on mercreatures.

|| SUMMON ||
  • OFFENSIVE || Allows the conjurer to summon a creature for attack purposes. The nature of the creature is dependant on the strength of magic.
  • LOCATIVE ||Allows the conjurer to summon a creature for locating purposes - tracking/hunting.
  • RESTORATIVE ||Allows for the summoning of a creature with a restorative or healing nature.

|| DESTRUCTIVE FORCE ||
A spell with can draw upon energy, to create a destructive beam, ray or force of natural resources, for an offensive or defensive purpose.

|| HEAVENLY BODY ||
Allows the conjurer to control light - either by intensifying the brightness, or removing light entirely.

|| HEALING WIND ||
A mass healing spell. Difficult and extremely temperamental, this spell requires complete concentration, and can and almost always does utterly deplete the energy of the user.

ENCHANTMENT

|| DUENDE ||
With a small incantation and briefly held eye contact, one can temporarily bespell an intended target - charming them into submission. The spell lasts anywhere from ten minutes to one hour, depending on the mental capabilities of the person targeted.

While under the spell, the target will have no free will and must be told what to do. Following the spell’s end, they will have no recollection of what occurred.

Because of this, Duende is among one of the more ethically challenging spells in the Conjurer repertoire and is only ever recommended in times of absolute necessity.

|| CONFUSE ||
A spell which can temporarily confuses the mind of the target. Handy for escapes or to enforce disguises.

|| LULL ||
A spell which allows the conjurer to lull a target into a deep, restful sleep.

|| ALLY ||
Allows the conjurer to warp the mind of a target, convincing them that they are, in fact, an ally. They can be used offensively or defensively. Less likely to work on a powerful conjurer.

|| CROWD CONTROL ||
Allows for the control of emotions within a large group. Can be used with negative or positive emotions, but will not work on those with a powerful resistance.

|| MEMORY MODIFIER ||
Allows memories to be altered or, in some cases, entirely removed. This is an extremely dangerous spell and can result in total memory loss if improperly handled.

|| HEARTS DESIRE ||
Spells the target to reveal their innermost thoughts and desires. Particularly useful in interrogations processes. This can be difficult, however, as it can result in the target being trapped within their own mind.

LOCATIONS

THE REALM OF DENMAR

2RArs87.jpg
MPjvQcs.jpg
lWqAJfA.jpg

The High Court of Wills || Located high in the mountains of Vastil, the High Court of Wills is the home of the Sages of Denmar, wise men and women, thought to possess insight beyond that of normal Conjurers. Apart from being acting magical authority among the three realms, as well as determining the terms of the Decree, The Court of Wills is summoned to determine matters of great importance, as well as deem worthy unions, carry out orders of punishment and determine the Headmaster of the Academy. The court is protected by a force of elemental guardians known as The Divine Sentries.

THE DECREE

The Decree of the Seven is an ancient rulebook - laws and accords regarding the use of magic, ethical practices and the treatment of both magical and non-magical beings. Signed by the rulers of the three realms and enforced by the High Conjurers, the decree remains a controversial aspect of history, particularly in its disregard for beast and demon kind as equal to magical kind and the standards by which Fae Magi are held.

MAGICAL DECREE OF THE SEVEN SCHOOLS

• Decree number one states that no man shall perform magic in the presence of a Plainspoken unless under the following conditions.
    • To prevent harm from befalling a Plainspoken being, when all manner of non magical means should prove ineffective.
    • To prevent oneself from harm when expressly involving an attack of magical property.
    • In the event of catastrophic necessity.

The use heretofore of magic before a Plainspoken that does not under these conditions occur will be punished with absolute prejudice, including, but not limited to the removal and eternal banishment from the Plainspoken realm.
  • Decree number two states that all magic shall be expressly limited to the seven natural schools. The use of any magics that fall under the unethical order of necromancy, blood magic or the control of beings either living or dead without their consent (but in extreme cases of need as listed in the first decree) are considered outside the limitations of the law. Any use of such magic is abjectly forbidden and grounds for imprisonment on the Isle of Vers.
  • Decree number three states that all creatures of non-magic nature from the realms of Desmar and Isil'er will register their Plainspoken identities at a waylay station before entering and upon leaving the Plainspoken realm.

Failure to register will be viewed as an intentional act of sedition and is grounds for apprehension and incarceration.
  • Decree number four states that no union may occur between an unawakened Plainspoken and a member of the magical community.

A union may occur between an Awoken and a Conjurer, but not without express permission of the High Court of Wills.
  • Decree number five states all Fae Magi exercised outside the realm of Isil'er without expressed permission from the Court of High Wills is grounds for sufficient and immediate punishment.
  • Decree number six states all forces of monstrous, beastly or demonic nature are subject to respect the laws of mankind whilst present in the realm of the Plainspoken. Failure to abide by these standards will result in immediate actionable consequences.
  • Decree number seven states that the consumption, possession or any attempts to sell a Plainspoken are strictly prohibited in all realms.
All beings, regardless of magical status are hereby protected under these law. If any being invokes the right of this protection, they must be taken, unharmed, into custody and brought before the High Court of Wills for an Inquiry.

kJtpngO.jpg
ZG1BLrJ.jpg

The Isle of Vers || An island located in the sea of sand, deep in the desert of Clutch, unreachable but by magic portal. It is here that the worse magic offenders are exiled, should they be found guilty of breaching the Decrees.

THE REALM OF ISIL’ER

kXXlPGF.jpg
OdDTlwi.jpg
hU4K8cF.jpg

The Summer Court || The palace of the Neirsid - the royal court of the Fae. It is here the King and Queen of faerie kind reside, alongside their family, advisors and the Knights of the Neirsid.

EYSvz05.jpg
bH7uvVL.jpg
0yrEQJ7.jpg

The Underrealm || The dwelling place of Goblin kind. Deep beneath the Forest of Isil'er, the Underrealm is a dank, dark wasteland, ruled by the Goblin King. Within the centermost part of the Underrealm is the Changeling Nursery, where abducted babies are cared for, in a state of suspended animation.

THE REALM OF THE PLAINSPOKEN

dvbwZIH.jpg
autKXnw.jpg
eKaJCkQ.jpg
OuecBIU.jpg

The Academy of the Awakened || Located in the Rocky Mountain region, the academy appears as an abandoned chateau to any Plainspoken who come across it. Due to magical protections, any attempts made to vandalize or destroy parts of the property, however, will automatically fail… for instance, spray paint cans jamming or sledge hammer heads breaking.

The Academy itself consists of well over forty rooms - including dormitories for students, classrooms, a great hall, the kitchens, training grounds an outdoor courtyard, greenhouses and an astronomy tower. The castle itself is surrounded by a deep moat, overwhich is suspended a bridge leading to the main gates.

3VOgEOV.jpg
J2FelaL.jpg

Madam Mimi’s || Located in the Bayou, deep in Louisiana Madam Mimi's is a house of voodoo magic. Mimi is a woman well versed in necromancer magic, with a tendency for bending the laws… but she makes a mighty fine Gumbo.

THE PHANTOM REALM

59mwL51.jpg
DlKOJiA.jpg

The Phantom Realm exists in a pocket reality, a corner-of-the-eye realm, which cannot be perceived by those outside the magical community. Untouched by light, Plainspoken refer to the Phantom Realm by many other names, but the most common is Hell.

The Phantom Realm is the home of demonic forces, bent on the destruction and perversion of all other realms in the known worlds. This realm is guarded by a gate, set in place thousands of years ago and kept locked by seven keys, belonging to seven purveyors of magical schools. This realm is overseen by The Archfiend, a terrible and powerful archdemon, capable of controlling all beneath him with but a thought.

THE REALM OF AN'THIEL

09XQbjD.jpg
5ntgS4U.jpg
3yf2DTD.jpg

Never before entered by mankind, the Celestial realm, or An’thiel - the realm of light - exists only in rumor. It is thought to be a pristine, majestic realm, shimmering with alabaster towers and flowing rivers of pure, blessed water. Non-Celestial magic cannot exist within An'Thiel, and it is said to pass through the veil means to sever one's connection to the magic realm entirely. Between An'Thiel lies the In Between realm, where it is thought that those who fail to properly execute transitional portal spells are trapped forever. The Realm Beyond, or the After Realm is considered to be located on the other side of An'Thiel, though there is little to indicate the two realms act in any symbiosis to one another.

Last edited:
Cracks free of the petrifying bindings of a capstone project topped with a full-time occupation.

I live!!!!! Gloriously, I might add. In most cases. And I come back to see this?! I have only two words to express my emotion towards it: THANK TIBESTY! Who's that? Who knows! But I'm in. Time to start dreaming a character!

Last edited:
Haha glad to have you aboard, @Verran

This looks awesome, I'd love to join! ^^

You know I'm in!!

Reactions: Elle Joyner
*Lurks in the thread with interest* I'm getting some cool Hellboy-esque vibes. Is there already a discord chat active?

@ThE_DeAd - Not yet! I tend not to open Discord chats until I'm pretty sure who the players will be just to avoid that awkwardness if someone isn't accepted XD If you have questions, feel free to toss them here or you can totally PM me :-D

This looks pretty awesome, Elle :D

@Spekkun Thank you so much :-D Haha a year or so of hard work and it's not a TOTAL mess LOL

@Elle Joyner It looks wonderful, the hard work shows! Don't sell yourself short!

• Love
Oh, this looks interesting and well developed indeed. Count me in.

Just out of curiousity, do you have any more specifics on how ritual magic is used? Examples of common, easily found elemental rituals (given the description, I imagine this branch of magic is basically just following cookbook-esque recipes)? Maybe what the runes are? Is this something that can even be pursued (in formal education), given that the focus appears to be on the 'seven natural schools' as the decree calls them?

@SilverPaw You got it pretty on the nose. Basically your typical 'recipe' type spells - ala eye of newt/tongue of bat kinda spells.

The runes are written down SOMEWHERE in my notes but I haven't been able to locate them. I'll keep looking at try to get the picture up.

Found them! The first are the ritual runes and the second are the Fae Magi runes!

Attachments

• runes.jpg
    runes.jpg
    520.3 KB · Views: 6
  • faerierunes.jpg
    faerierunes.jpg
    362 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: SilverPaw
I've been keeping an eye on this. Ya have an opportunity for my voudou baby, if I'm able to participate. Just letting you know, I'm committing murder to clear my schedule. That's how good this looks!

I'll keep watching and will let cha know!

So, I have a character I’m looking for a place for and would love to put him here, but his name is a little...specific and doesn’t likely fit with any of the premade categories. Would you be willing to allow such a character as long as it didn’t specifically break any rules?

After some rejiggering and polish there's now one well-formatted sheet to start off :D

@Dmitry I'd need a bit more info before I can say yes or no! Can you shoot me a pm with more details?

@Verran, @MiharuAya, @KatSea, @ThE_DeAd, @Spekkun, @Ariel, @SilverPaw, @Phi Chisym, @littlekreen

Hey folks! Just wanted to let you know that next week (From Sunday-Saturday) I will be largely unavailable. Heading off on a family vacation and will be camping for part of it, so I won't likely have internet. The following week I'll be reviewing sheets, so if you can, please try to get your sheet in before then -- The absolute deadline is the 26th of May - I know this is a long period of time, but I'd really like to give you all adequate time to write up those characters. If you have any questions, you can still PM me and I will get back to you ASAP! (and I'll be here all this week, too)