The Peace Maker

Emmica blushed even more, if possible, and stuttered randomly, unable to make a proper sentence. She eventually just turned and looked away, busying herself with drinking the left over potion so that she didn't embarrass herself any more.

Ivish grinned and waited until she drank the remaining potion, "Emmica I've been thinking and id like you to be one of my advisers. Would you be interested?" He glanced at the flowers Rue had left while he waited her reply.

Emmica looked at him, a little calmer not that they were off the topic of kissing, and nodded her head quickly.

"Of course I would! As an adviser I can make sure that not only are my people content, but that you don't making any rash choices that chould effect them...On top of that, I have something to ask..." She said hesitating slightly.

She wasn't sure how to put this but she had been noticing he asked her to read to him...a lot. Not once had she seen him read on his own. He also seemed to avoid it with excuses that really didn't work, like when he called rather neat handwriting sloppy. She believe she knew the answer but she had to be sure, it would do no one any good if she just assumed again.

"Ivish...Can you not read?" She said softly, looking him in the eye rather directly. This was the look that many could not lie to. Round eyes demanding a truthful answer and an expression that said that she could tell if you lied.

Ivish had started to smile, but when she asked if he couldn't read his face darkened. He turned away from her "no i can't, my father never bothered to teach me because he hated me so." He whirled back around to face her "are you happy now? Now that you know I'm a fool?"

He looked angry but he was really upset by the fact he couldn't read, Rue had tried to teach him but he only grew upset and angry and had her read things for him instead.

Emmica jumped back a bit, a little frightened by his angry look. She shook her head as she spoke to him.

"Ivish, How can you say that? I come from a country that has been striving to give education to all for centuries! If you can't read you need to learn, especially if you're going to rule Rindall. If people find out that you can't read...they'll use it against you later on! I'm not trying to upset you...I just care about what happens to you....Look, I'll teach you. In the castle our library has all types of books for all levels of education. When you aren't working you'll be learning, and until you can do it on your own I'll help you with every document and speech and meeting that you have." She said as she rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Reading is important Ivish, and it can be the greatest tool you'll ever have." She said smiling at him a bit.

Ivish sighed, his anger evaporating as he turned back to her. "I have already tried to learn Emmica, Rue has tried to teach me but it only served to make me upset and angry." He rubbed the back of his neck "i hated taking my anger and frustration out on her so i stopped the lessons, i won't take my moods out on you either. Its not a good idea."

He smiled a little when she said she cared what happened to him, "i would appreciate your help, Rue has been the one burdened with it for so long. I have told no one else and i hope you don't tell anyone either."

Emmica frowned a bit and shook her head.

"Ivish...I'm not taking no for an answer. I promise not to say anything but I was able to notice this and I wasn't even trying. There will be people in Rindall looking for every flaw that they can to knock you down a few pegs. Rue might have had the best intentions for you but she might not have taught you right...Everyone learns differently. Please, let me help you...if not for your sake or the peoples sake, then at least for Rue...can you imagine how happy she would be to know you can read? On top of that, people might use the fact that you can't read to take her away from you...I don't want you be seperated from her, you care for her so much" She said as she looked at him with worry.

Ivish turned to her and sighed, when she finished speaking "your stubborn you know that?" He said with a hint of a smile, "i really don't think you'd handle my moods." He nodded when she mentioned Rue's reaction, "yes Rue would be thrilled." He looked at her sideways "no one is taking Rue away, I'll make sure of that." His voice while certain, still had a hint of worry.

He got to his feet, and thought a moment before turning back to her. "Fine, I'll let you teach me but if i start becoming aggressive the lessons stop." He sat down again seemingly defeated, "i don't expect this to work Emmica." He smiled "I'm agreeing because i gather I'll have no peace from you until i do."

Emmica smiled as she stood up and looked down at him.

"You're right on that Ivish, you'd never hear the end of it if you no. And down worry about getting mad, I'll take it slow and one step at a time, there's not need to rush when you have me as your advisor. Now I have a speech to write and you should probably go make sure Rue has everything packed for the trip." She said as she looked around.

"Um...could I get a pen and some paper as well...It's sort of pointless to write without either." She said laughing a bit at her small joke.

Ivish laughed a little, "i shan't think that'll help you much with me my dear." He nodded and got to his feet, "yes i probably should." He pulled out parchment, a quill pen and an ink pot , from a small cupboard and put them on the table for her to use.

He reached out and took her hand, then he kissed her knuckles gently "come find me when your finished and we'll head off." With that he smiled and headed out, he made sure he and Rue had everything packed then went to prepare a carriage.

Emmica blushed once more as he kissed her knuckles and nodded her head lightly as she watched him leave. As soon as he was gone she went right to work with her writing, she had a lot to say to her people. Her hand moved quickly, filling page after page with words that she hoped would turn the tides in Ivish's favor, and also return her people to their peaceful natures. When she finished she took her speech, a rather thick stack of paper, and wandered off to find Ivish or Rue, knowing that either would be close to the other. She wandered around curiously, peeking into slightly open rooms or around corners until she found someone to point her in the right direction, quickly making haste to meet up with him.

Rue had just finished loading up all her things into the carriage, and was busying herself with checking all the horses. She loved horses and knew a great deal about them, she made sure that they were all ready to go and talked soothingly and patted them each in turn. She set off to fetch Emmica, as Ivish was busying addressing his guards. She smiled slyly as she found her peeking into a room, she crept up behind her and grabbed her shoulder "Boo!" She let her go and laughed, "sorry but i couldn't resist, anyway come on we're ready to go."

She looped her arm through Emmica's and lead her down the hall towards the front of the castle, "so Ivish told me the good news that your to be one of his advisers." She looked at her sideways "did he tell you?"

Ivish helped Rue load her things and his then turned to his guards, there would be two inside the carriage with them and one next to the driver. He decided not to have anymore as Emmica said not to draw attention, half of his guards would be moving with them and half would be staying here. Those that would be coming were to ride discreetly through the forest to the castle, drawing no attention to themselves. He appointed his most trusted servant to tend to Rue's precious garden, swearing him to secrecy. He watched with a smile as Rue personally checked all the horses fixing any problems she saw, and giving them all a kind word and pat.

Emmica startled a gave a small squeak of surprise as Rue scared her, nearly dropping her papers all over the hallway. She just smiled and gave Rue a scolding look before letting her drag her off to go meet up with Ivish at the carriage.

"Yes he told me...He also told me about his...inability." She said softly, incase a servant was nearby or within ears reach. "When it's just you and me I would like to have a small word about you on that topic."

Rue nodded, glad Emmica knew not to speak about it now when there were so many others about. "Of course, once we get to the castle." She smiled as they reached the carriage, "aren't the horses beautiful? I'd rather ride but Ivish thinks its to dangerous until you both address the people." She sighed a little as she took Ivish's outstretched hand and climbed into the carriage. She sat down next to the two guards, leaving the only place for Emmica to sit was beside Ivish. She winked at Emmica and Ivish, smiling slyly "come on them Emm."

Ivish shook his head, amused by Rue's meddling "yes lets go." He leaned out the door and held down a hand to her, to help her inside.

Emmica smiled and blushed lightly before taking Ivish's hand and getting into the carriage. She was rather happy to go home, she just hoped they could ride in peace until they were able to arrive. The thought of return to Castle Rindall was more than exciting and she was eager to show them all the rooms there were and the splendors of it all. She held onto her speech tightly, eager to speak to her people once more and hopefully calm them and open their minds to Ivish, otherwise there would be a civil war and that would destory Rindall more than anything else. She looked to Rue and smiled at her, hoping to make her excited as she was about the move.

"I am glad to be going home I must admit, Your castle was nice but there is nothing that can compare to Castle Rindall. I'll have to give you a detail tour, it's far to large for a quick one." She said, her eyes glancing to see if the castle was in view yet.

Rue attempted to smile back but the truth was she was nervous, she was afraid no one would accept her especially after those rebels had attacked Ivish. She glanced out at the passing trees, she had a bad feeling that they wouldn't get to the castle without some trouble.

Ivish saw Rue was a bit upset so he leaned across and squeezed her hand, giving her a reassuring smile. He mouthed "it'll be OK Pixie" to her, then leaned back into his seat. He turned his head to look at Emmica "that sounds good, you can help us pick our rooms." The guards stared out the windows, trying hard to not eavesdrop on their king's conversation. Soon the huge castle came within sight, and the carriage began to slow.

Emmica smiled widely as the castle came into sight, her heart beating with excitement as they approached the best view of the castle.

attachment.php

As the carriage slowed. Emmica noticed three people standing on the stairs of the castle, to men and a women, all of them old and holding an airy of great wisdom around them. She couldn't help but smile a bit more as their face became clearer and more detailed. It was the council or, as many called them, 'The Voices of Reason'. They served under my father since he was king and she knew they would be more welcoming than any other person in the kingdom. They did not speak without getting all their facts, and when they got facts, they got all the facts.

When the carriage finally stopped in front of them, Emmica waited for Ivish to step out first since he was the one they were probabl waiting for.

Ivish waved his guards out first then stepped out, he stopped to help Rue and Emmica down. He approached the people on the steps slowly, making sure to stay a fair distance apart. He motioned for his guards to stand back and looked the strangers up and down, "might i ask who you are Sirs and madam?" His voice was polite, though his eyes were mistrusting.

Rue in spite of her mood, smiled when they arrived at Rindall castle. It truly was beautiful, she couldn't wait to explore it and it's grounds. She surveyed it a moment before turning her attention to Ivish and the strangers, she hoped they weren't more rebels.

When Emmica stepped out of the carriage and smiled at the council that was standing there, the Old men and woman returning it with just as much happiness as she gave to them. One of the men, a stout old fellow who had long white hair and a beard to match, stepped forward, his noble robes showing he was a man of status.

"Your Highness, I am Darren Martin, the woman is Abigail Evvens, and the other fellow is Richard Noxx. We...are the only servants you have in your new castle..." He said, his tone a little saddened at the end.

"He means, As of today, we work for you. If you fear that we are not trustworthy then the princess can speak on our behalf." The old woman said, adjusting her large glasses that rested on her angular face.

Emmica looked to Ivish and nodded her head.

"Ivish, these people are the Council of Rindall, they know the kingdom completely, just like the back of their hands. You can trust them, it is their job to serve the king, no matter who it is."

"Correct as alway, princess." The second man said, his tall lanky figure towering over the other two easily. "In order to preserve the knowledge that our kingdom has it is our duty to make serve the king, even if he has overthrown the former. Though, if you are not comfortable with us then we will leave after giving you a proper idea of how things work around here, as the king it is your choice."

Ivish nodded his head "its a pleasure to meet you all, and if Emmica vouches for you than that is enough for me." He turned to Richard 'no i would very much like to hear of your knowledge." He thought a moment "i have some things to unpack and i should like to get settled, may we talk tomorrow morning?"

Rue hoped they'd agree, she wanted to explore with Emmica and Ivish. She could barely keep still, and she wanted to see if this castle had a stables before the guard arrived.