• Hell isn't actually evil; they've reformed. Many are, in fact, good people, but their existence itself is still dangerous to Takamagahara, and they physically cannot remain in paradise.
  • You're part of a group meant to seal away Hell, but the charismatic leader has a very questionable "by any means" view to tackling problems.
  • Humans show up, and views on them range from "burn the intruders" to wanting to give them a tour.
  • Humans show up and introduce things like "war" and "territory acquisition." Youkai get pulled into Human conflicts.
  • ....and if you wanna really go all-out with plot twists: Takamagahara could end up being a relatively small part of a massive world, which was sheltered for some reason.

o-o *loves on these ideas*

It might, if you have enough guys with masks dancing around....

Also, at this point I have to admit most of these myths are kinda going over my head (not that I couldn't Google 'em, I'm just lazy tonight :P). Then again, I could always turn that to my advantage. Kooky witch hunters are probably one of my favorite archetypes to play.

Oh, by the way, I do have some experience in the group RPing area (you said you were new to it I think). In general, for every 3-5 people you have, you'll probably want an extra subplot. Basically some excuse to break groups up. Once groups get to around 5+ players, they bog down fast. So instead of having one giant group tackle the main problem, maybe you have one group confront a villain, and another deal with human diplomacy. Not a requirement, just my advice.
Yeah, my mind works like a one-on-one roleplayer, haha. I was hoping on taking in a co-GM to help direct me because I'm useless aaaaaaaaaaa...

Yeah, my mind works like a one-on-one roleplayer, haha. I was hoping on taking in a co-GM to help direct me because I'm useless aaaaaaaaaaa...
Heh, I bet you know the 1-on-1 scene pretty well though. If I knew the mythos better I'd offer to co-GM, but you might find someone who knows what they're talking about instead. I know Crow's crazy about myths in general.

Question: Soo, are these characters meant to be stopping Hell from opening up or are they Youkai? I've read the whole thread but it's still unclear to me? I'm guessing since they're not human they're going to be Youkai? >_>

They're definitely gonna be youkai! ;D

• Thank You
Reactions: envogue
They're definitely gonna be youkai! ;D

Which means they'd be in favor of this happening, or probably not? Lol. So many questions I have.

Which means they'd be in favor of this happening, or probably not? Lol. So many questions I have.

I imagine they would, but we're still fleshing everything out, so we'll see how that goes.

I imagine they would, but we're still fleshing everything out, so we'll see how that goes.

Mmmmk. I'll probably just keep an eye on this then and see if it turns into something I'd like. :) Thanks for the replies!

I guess what I've gathered from this is they're all for bringing back some allmighty powerful youkai from hell, but then they realize they kinda like it not rampaging the countryside, and it would actually be really crappy doing that, so they want/need to stop this from happening so they can continue their mundane lives. At least, that's where my mind has wandered.

I don't even know what's up, except for understanding the basic synopsis (given in first post) and the constant search for what kind of youkai I want, as well as the kind of picture I want to use.

@DoomyCakez

Thanks for tagging me ^_^
I love the idea so far so I'd love to join.

• Love
Reactions: DoomyCakez
Mmmmk. I'll probably just keep an eye on this then and see if it turns into something I'd like. :) Thanks for the replies!
I guess what I've gathered from this is they're all for bringing back some allmighty powerful youkai from hell, but then they realize they kinda like it not rampaging the countryside, and it would actually be really crappy doing that, so they want/need to stop this from happening so they can continue their mundane lives. At least, that's where my mind has wandered.
I don't even know what's up, except for understanding the basic synopsis (given in first post) and the constant search for what kind of youkai I want, as well as the kind of picture I want to use.
Yes, basically what Tari said. The youkai here are pretty much used to a peaceful life, where the majority of humans are unaware of their existence, so they are safe as well. There are some youkai who are feared, and considering they were sealed for good by the gods, they don't exactly want something so vengeful and obviously evil back. It'll ruin life as they've known it, break through the barrier and expose every single one of them to the modern humans.

I'm guessing since they're not human they're going to be Youkai? >_>
Youkai, but they look pretty human... or not, they may have supernatural features :P

Think Touhou girls.

Like think super hard on Touhou girls. And if you have questions, please ask away! Will help me (and us) developed something uwu

Yes, basically what Tari said. The youkai here are pretty much used to a peaceful life, where the majority of humans are unaware of their existence, so they are safe as well. There are some youkai who are feared, and considering they were sealed for good by the gods, they don't exactly want something so vengeful and obviously evil back. It'll ruin life as they've known it, break through the barrier and expose every single one of them to the modern humans.

Youkai, but they look pretty human... or not, they may have supernatural features :P

Think Touhou girls.

Like think super hard on Touhou girls. And if you have questions, please ask away! Will help me (and us) developed something uwu

Ahhh. Okay! That does clear quite a bit up. I only have limited knowledge about Touhou, but I've seen a lot of their female characters on anime sites and have used a couple myself. They're hard to escape. :p

It'll ruin life as they've known it, break through the barrier and expose every single one of them to the modern humans.
NOTE: does not mean you can't create a character who doesn't follow this. Betrayers are spicyyy.

NOTE: does not mean you can't create a character who doesn't follow this. Betrayers are spicyyy.

What if there was an organization/group, small or not, who did this sort of thing? Expose youkai/their own kind? They could be one of the antagonists or the antagonists.

What if there was an organization/group, small or not, who did this sort of thing? Expose youkai/their own kind? They could be one of the antagonists or the antagonists.
:o Sure. And maybe they're actually manipulating the people who are working on undoing the seal? As youkai, they might be pretty cocky and assume they'd be able to take what's the humans?? "we're better than them and we have superpowers so why the heck not" attitude?

• Bucket of Rainbows
Reactions: junebug
so the character Idea I have is based on the Yata-Garasu myth. The three legged raven has been a sign of divine intervention and the will of Heaven in regards to human affairs. If I am making a creature like this, would I be able to have him pass through the barrier without issue? Like what is the case for that? Is there something that they need to pass through the barrier to the mortal world, or do they just sort of go through the cracks in it?

In regards to the betrayer sort of thing...

so the character Idea I have is based on the Yata-Garasu myth. The three legged raven has been a sign of divine intervention and the will of Heaven in regards to human affairs. If I am making a creature like this, would I be able to have him pass through the barrier without issue? Like what is the case for that? Is there something that they need to pass through the barrier to the mortal world, or do they just sort of go through the cracks in it?

In regards to the betrayer sort of thing...
All youkai can pass through the barrier easily, they just don't do it much because they prefer to be inside. It's just that humans find it hard to get inside, it's almost impossible.

• Thank You
Reactions: DoomyCakez
:o Sure. And maybe they're actually manipulating the people who are working on undoing the seal? As youkai, they might be pretty cocky and assume they'd be able to take what's the humans?? "we're better than them and we have superpowers so why the heck not" attitude?
I can see this being a thing honestly. WIth Youkai being so powerful and sort of the will and watchers of the mortal world, watching them repeated fuck up what they created for them would cause a bit of bitterness. SO what if it is not exactly the "Bad" Youkai wanting what the mortals have, but wanting to take back what they have given the humans in the first place since they are taking advantage of it. They are polluting the planet, killing the wild life and upsetting the delicate balance of lifeforce in the world in general?

I think that this could add a bit of drama, because it would not make the "bad" Youkai bad necessarily. It would add a complexity, as in the "Bad" Youkai have lost faith in the humans who they have watched so often? They don't believe that they deserve the gifts that have been bestowed upon them... THE HUMANS HAVE EVEN FORGOTTEN THAT THEY EXIST. Their shrines go untouched and uncared for. Youkai who were once loved have fallen into obscurity. I think it would be an interesting turn instead of just wanting what the humans have...

Reactions: Katori and Mu

Yeah, I can definitely see that! They could do things by law and order or just be chaotic and unpredictable. Do you think they'd be a secret organization/group or public knowledge from the beginning?